Home Menu

Menu

Old June 3rd, 2018, 10:36 AM #61
> Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Zeo Cereal
Reality Gangster

Audio direction can make or break a season's Zord fights.

Recent years have shared a simmilar tonal flavour, and it doesn't make Zord fights feel fresh.

The booming Wasserman style was awesome, but I would argue it grew stale.

Refreshing the score along with the season was one of the best things Power Rangers ever did, the theme song reprisals during Zord fights felt organic and reflected a battle's escalation.

Even seasons like Overdrive and Mystic Force, where the intro themes are so-so, the BGM reprisals work for battles and help create a unified, cohesive show.
Zeo Cereal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:31 PM #62
> ϟMegaRed
The type of god you deserve.

MegaRed
The type of god you deserve.

Oh yes. I would love to see Mecha leave Sentai for a while.
MegaRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 02:29 AM #63
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

MegaRed wrote: View Post

Oh yes. I would love to see Mecha leave Sentai for a while.
But it wouldn't be Super Sentai based on Toei's definition from its conception, of course.
zjranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 08:08 AM #64
> StriderXanthos
Banned

StriderXanthos
Banned

NInja Storm's Megazord battles were fun for the most part. So were Jungle Fury's in my opinion.
StriderXanthos is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:10 AM #65
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

StriderXanthos wrote: View Post

NInja Storm's Megazord battles were fun for the most part.
I'm glad you liked them.

What always annoyed me about them was the Power Spheres being the only real spectacle. Otherwise it was just take a couple of hits and then turn it around with random weapon use once then finisher/random weapon direct finisher.
hasbro_primo is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 11:28 AM #66
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

For me it depends on the Season

I love the Shogun Zord but ultimately those fights were incredibly boring. In many cases the zord summoning took longer than the fight since the Rangers immediately spammed the finisher.

I know its edited together from multiple fights, but King Sphinx and Cyclopsis Zord battles were intense and fun. Easily the kind of action to get a child hooked.

The Disney era had some great fights and managed to do some in a unique way.

The Zord battle in Doctor K was phenominal due to the audience experiencing it from Doctor K's emotional perspective.

Jungle Fury was all out fun and SPD and Mystic Force had some great Zord combat too.

Neo Saban era just seemed to gloss over the zord stuff or with Megaforce, every episode was a new power up for no reason leading to constant CGI finisher spams which are just boring.

Last edited by WhiteMystechRanger; June 7th, 2018 at 01:51 AM.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2018, 08:01 PM #67
> Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Sabanrangerfan Xman
Let's All Go To Hell!!

Lordoftherangers wrote: View Post

I still love the martial arts aspect of the show but every time the zords come up I either fast forward through them or just doze off. They're just...kinda boring and predictable. Honestly I don't think they need to be in every episode. I say only have them show up just a couple of times throughout the season so that when they do show up it actually feels important and like the battle is really escalating.
I think it only depends on which season of Power Rangers or Sentai series you are watching. I mean, did you even watched the entire series of Kyuuranger? That had some decent space battles that don't required the rangers to form a giant mech. Even the 2017 Power Rangers movie reboot had soke awesome mech fights before the rangers formed a megazord. Toqger is mostly trains vs. trains. But other than that, I say Ninninger and Lupinranger vs Patoranger had the worst mech fights.
Sabanrangerfan Xman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 01:59 AM #68
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

The key to a good Zord battle is either giving the enemy the edge or for the opponents to be on an even playing field.

So Seasons with a million aux mecha to me tend to be less impressive by default as Aux zord of the week saves the day with a slightly new finisher.

Some episodes of Gekiranger/Jungle Fury fall into this category, but the difference is that Gekiranger's training theme always did its best to feel like an earned victory against the odds.

Wild Force/Gaoranger being the first aux spam sentai just avoided it as well. The animals had personalities and each one had to be earned in some way. Plus it allowed for multiple mecha on the field in later episodes, which easily felt earned and awesome.

Boukenger suffered from its aux mecha. Too many by the end and most were very forgettable add ons to create the first clusterfuck megazord.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote