Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old December 23rd, 2016, 01:34 PM   #81
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium321 View Post
But even with extra legs, you can still see they are a blue Triceratops and Black Mastodon robot. So how does that extra leg make them unrecognizable? A blue robot triceratops and black mastodon really only have one reference point in pop culture. If they weren't actually Power Rangers, people would be claiming "that's copying/ripping off Power Rangers." in design.
Did anyone do a "circle the feature" photo with the mastodon because from the pictures I've seen, it looks like a bug. Even with the extra legs I think the Triceratops is fine but i can't imagine showing anyone this Mastadon and they say "oh yah. Mammoth/mastodon fo sho"
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:23 PM   #82
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitoRevolto View Post
I don't think there's any reason to expect it to be any good.
Thy name is Cranston.

Quote:
The Megazord and Goldar don't appear to even echo their television counterparts.
As true as that is, I can't help but worship at the altar of #Jaegazord.

That's the best design for a primary robo since like GekiTohja.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:31 PM   #83
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Ron White View Post
Thy name is Cranston.
OK, one reason that one aspect might be not terrible.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 03:23 PM   #84
Red Rock
Power Ranger

Quote:
I'd love to see the Command Center from Alpha's point of view, a nod to meeting Billy in the first episode.
That would be forking awesome!

Looking through Alpha's eyes, we see Billy looking at us and says, "A fully sentient, multifunctional automaton!" That would be so so so cooool!
Please Saban, Lions Gate, Bandai, whoever, please make it so.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 03:24 PM   #85
Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

People compare the finding powers and human powers to Chronicles. Well, when I first saw the trailer, I was thinking in DINO THUNDER.

We should understand that the finding something that give you power was done LONG BEFORE CHRONICLES, not only PR, but other stuff too.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 03:30 PM   #86
NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

Quote:
OK, one reason that one aspect might be not terrible.
See? There's some things to appreciate here. You know Dean is so invested into this film. He really seems to love the property and I think he knows what he's doing with it.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 03:52 PM   #87
Ankh Primo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaJack View Post
You know Dean is so invested into this film. He really seems to love the property and I think he knows what he's doing with it.
Especially if we're to believe what was said years ago about him turning down bigger movies to work on something he truly cared about.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:04 PM   #88
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
Especially if we're to believe what was said years ago about him turning down bigger movies to work on something he truly cared about.
Don't forget the story that Lionsgate had a shortlist of directors with much bigger names lined up and chose Dean because he presented the best vision for the franchise. Passing up the chance to have an A-list director to go with the guy who has the best story in mind speaks volumes.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:25 PM   #89
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaJack View Post
See? There's some things to appreciate here. You know Dean is so invested into this film. He really seems to love the property and I think he knows what he's doing with it.
You'd think they'd be highlighting any other good ideas that may exist in marketing for the film. Instead, they have a Rita costume that looks like they went the Party City to get a Poison Ivy getup instead.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:34 PM   #90
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRanger11 View Post
Where was this and what movies were they?

Who was on the shortlist again?
We wouldn't know that.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:36 PM   #91
RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

Quote:
You'd think they'd be highlighting any other good ideas that may exist in marketing for the film. Instead, they have a Rita costume that looks like they went the Party City to get a Poison Ivy getup instead.
Please show us a picture of anything that looks even remotely that good at Party City.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:59 PM   #92
Ankh Primo

Quote:
You'd think they'd be highlighting any other good ideas that may exist in marketing for the film.
That's not always true.

I've watched plenty of movies where I was shocked they didn't reveal something that would have made me much more interested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconRanger11 View Post
Where was this and what movies were they?
One of the interviews he gave shortly after he was announced. Go check No Pink Spandex.

He didn't mention names.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 05:10 PM   #93
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
Did anyone do a "circle the feature" photo with the mastodon because from the pictures I've seen, it looks like a bug. Even with the extra legs I think the Triceratops is fine but i can't imagine showing anyone this Mastadon and they say "oh yah. Mammoth/mastodon fo sho"
Well, there's a trunk, attached to a head, on a body, all looking Mastodon like but also machine like in toy form. The actual movie model we haven't seen yet, but comparing the toys to the T-rex and Sabertooth movie forms show there is a big disconnect in mold.

Quote:
Man, you must have some damn good and damn expensive party cities near you. That also have horribly off-brand poison ivy costumes that can't use any actual detail of Poison Ivy but the color green.

This is more of a subjective "I don't like how this looks" complaint. What would you classify as a good idea to highlight in marketing?
Old December 23rd, 2016, 05:14 PM   #94
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Highlighting the biggest star they have in the movie is never a bad idea.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 05:47 PM   #95
⚡Dukemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmssw View Post
Highlighting the biggest star they have in the movie is never a bad idea.
Which they have. It's arguable who is the bigger star, but Banks is a face actor in this movie and Cranston is a voice actor w/motion capture.

Having Rita front and center makes the most sense.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 06:06 PM   #96
Ankh Primo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemon22 View Post
It's arguable who is the bigger star
No, it's Cranston. That magic word Oscar-nominated instantly vaults you above anyone else you work with that can't boast the same.

That said, you are absolutely right that face > mocap, so Elizabeth Banks getting the attention make sense and cents.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 06:54 PM   #97
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Well, there's a trunk, attached to a head, on a body, all looking Mastodon like but also machine like in toy form. The actual movie model we haven't seen yet, but comparing the toys to the T-rex and Sabertooth movie forms show there is a big disconnect in mold.
It looks like a sword piercing out of a mouth. It resembles the gargantis mega cannon more than a mastodon. Every other zord looks like what it's labeled and at worst anyone on the street would call them by their name except yellow. Maybe call it Tiger. But Mastodon? I dont see anyone calling it that. The rest of the zords look identifiable in my opinion except this one so it isn't like I'm pretending it doesn't look like a Mastodon.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:08 PM   #98
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasso_opitz View Post
It looks like a sword piercing out of a mouth. It resembles the gargantis mega cannon more than a mastodon. Every other zord looks like what it's labeled and at worst anyone on the street would call them by their name except yellow. Maybe call it Tiger. But Mastodon? I dont see anyone calling it that. The rest of the zords look identifiable in my opinion except this one so it isn't like I'm pretending it doesn't look like a Mastodon.
It's an elephant-like head, with gun tusks, and a trunk. The body minus the extra legs, looks mastodon-ish too, especially the hind legs. The extra legs on this body may be the most off putting, plus the trunk is clearly supposed to be more poseable than the toy makes it look. Of all of them, it looks like it has the most issue with mold discrepancies.

I can see people not calling it a mastodon, but an alien looking elephant from the shape.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:14 PM   #99
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
It's an elephant-like head, with gun tusks, and a trunk. The body minus the extra legs, looks mastodon-ish too, especially the hind legs. The extra legs on this body may be the most off putting, plus the trunk is clearly supposed to be more poseable than the toy makes it look. Of all of them, it looks like it has the most issue with mold discrepancies.

I can see people not calling it a mastodon, but an alien looking elephant from the shape.
I wish I saw that. I see a Beetleborgs toy first. My boyfriend just said it looks like a Bison because of its hump, "it looks like Appa but with more legs." ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:27 PM   #100
TealMystechRanger
Terror adhaerens

Looking at the toy again, the head is more elephantine than I had recalled, but the fact that it's so close to the ground doesn't really help matters. Plus of course the gun-trunk being held out vertically. I wonder if, perhaps, the legs will be larger on the screen version? The Sabre-Tooth already has slightly different proportions... maybe the toy had to sacrifice the dimensions for the sake of matching up with the Triceratops and transforming into a leg? I think that could help somewhat, even with eight legs. For me, it's less of an extra limb problem and more the general shapes and proportions. I'm not banking on there being a difference now or anything, but it could be interesting.

Plus having the thigh tucked under the belly. It's a bit of a Beast Wars Deluxe Dinobot thing going on there. That most likely won't be on the CGI version.
Closed Thread

Tags
2017, power rangers movie, use spoiler tags.