Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:48 AM   #61
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitoRevolto View Post
If it's not going to be faithful to the show, why should we be excited about it?
I really don't understand this idea. What's the point of making a movie if it's exactly the same as the show? This is taking the CONCEPT of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and turning it into something new. It's attempting to expand the Power Rangers brand into something more than a children's show. The point is to adapt, not recreate. Seeing new things being done with the concept of Power Rangers is exciting. How boring it must be to be so narrow-minded.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:54 AM   #62
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pga20023 View Post
George Lucas thought the same thing in 1998
George Lucas is a terrible filmmaker. The faults of those movies were not the idea, they were the execution.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:54 AM   #63
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmssw View Post
I really don't understand this idea. What's the point of making a movie if it's exactly the same as the show? This is taking the CONCEPT of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and turning it into something new. It's attempting to expand the Power Rangers brand into something more than a children's show. The point is to adapt, not recreate. Seeing new things being done with the concept of Power Rangers is exciting. How boring it must be to be so narrow-minded.
I'm not saying it has to be the same as the show. I'm saying it has to be faithful to the show. It has to be recognizable. Right now, the film is as recognizable as Power Rangers as the atrocious Super Mario Bros. movie was recognizable as Mario, as recognizable as the prequel trilogy was as Star Wars. Doing something "new" isn't the same thing as doing something right, doing something well.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:56 AM   #64
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
If you want to get technical, We learned everything about the movie six months prior.
If the script and all of the behind the scenes "drama" of this film leaked, unless it's the actual film leaking itself, we can't judge it. There's nothing technical about it. It's the same. If you haven't seen the film, it's all the same.

And GB2016 even got better reviews than I thought it would.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 10:59 AM   #65
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pga20023 View Post
George Lucas thought the same thing in 1998, but fans want their comfort zone, that is why the prequels were mediocre box office wish and the force awakens made 2 billion by just remaking episode 4
You don't know what "mediocre" means. The prequels were insanely successful for their time.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:12 AM   #66
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
I'm not saying it has to be the same as the show. I'm saying it has to be faithful to the show. It has to be recognizable. Right now, the film is as recognizable as Power Rangers as the atrocious Super Mario Bros. movie was recognizable as Mario, as recognizable as the prequel trilogy was as Star Wars. Doing something "new" isn't the same thing as doing something right, doing something well.
But, in terms of recognizable qualities, if you look at the aesthetics of the PR movie, it still looks like it's Power Rangers, it matches enough to be familiar but also different. The Mario Bros movie had at most the coloring of their final act outfits similar to the game and nothing else that even came close as far as visual aesthetics are concerned.

The Prequels were instantly recognizable as Star Wars, though. All the visuals matched up. That's a terrible comparison to make. If you want to say its unrecognizable, you need something that is actually badly adapted so its hard to recognize like the 90s Godzilla or the movie Wanted. Something that visually doesn't line up.

But then, you kind of have to back that up by explaining how the PR movie is unrecognizable as PR. Not just that you dislike the designs, but how they don't look like PR at all. Can you do that or just continue to repeat "It's unrecognizable" without explaining that?
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:26 AM   #67
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium321 View Post
But then, you kind of have to back that up by explaining how the PR movie is unrecognizable as PR. Not just that you dislike the designs, but how they don't look like PR at all. Can you do that or just continue to repeat "It's unrecognizable" without explaining that?
I've explained it before. Mastodons and Triceratops both had four legs, not six, not eight. The suits' designs don't resemble even a stylized version of MMPR's. Rita doesn't look anything like Rita. Save for the Power Sword, all the weapons are nowhere to be found. The Megazord and Goldar don't appear to even echo their television counterparts. All the marketing more resembles Heroes (and not good Heroes), Chronicle and a host of lower-tier comic movies. What I see from what we know so far is a cynical cash-in with little effort behind it. Maybe it'll look nice, but I see few checks on the bad ideas pushed by Lionsgate, pushed by Weta. Saban dispatched Tony Oliver to babysit the MMPR movie (which had a few bad ideas that never saw the silver screen). It doesn't seem like this film had any such measures taken.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:32 AM   #68
RiffRanger
Totally Uncalled For

You're confusing not liking the designs with them being unrecognizable.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:33 AM   #69
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmssw View Post
You're confusing not liking the designs with them being unrecognizable.
No, I'm saying I hate the designs and they are unrecognizable. No belt, no blaster, little of the diamond patterns, the helmets bear only a vague resemblance to the ones we know.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:36 AM   #70
NinjaJack
Read The G.K.A. Times

Every other superhero movie has had some other medium to draw from. Spiderman had comics and cartoons, Batman and others have shown to be able to alternate between adult and kid friendly concepts and stories. Power Rangers does not have that track record. There is no YG novel and the comics have just started. They have to change their aesthetics while keeping their core cocepts in tact. And BTW Mario Brothers wasn't even trying.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:42 AM   #71
Dr. Who 07
Proud Earper

oh look 3 pages of never ending arguing over the same old crap i'm shocked

not impressed with goldar, like andre i'm hoping it's not his final form
but all i can think of looking at him is bridge's "it's buttery" lol

alpha would be better without the headlight eyes
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:44 AM   #72
wammyguide
Power Ranger

You know, this is something that's been annoying me for a while, but it's so goddamn stupid that the designs of everything can make or break the show or movie for people. ToQger, Zyuohger, Ex-Aid, and now the movie have been all hated on before we barely knew a damn thing just because "the suits are ugly". If you don't like the designs, fine, but for the love of God, don't say you know the movie's gonna be terrible just based on the designs of everything alone.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:48 AM   #73
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wammyguide View Post
You know, this is something that's been annoying me for a while, but it's so goddamn stupid that the designs of everything can make or break the show or movie for people. ToQger, Zyuohger, Ex-Aid, and now the movie have been all hated on before we barely knew a damn thing just because "the suits are ugly". If you don't like the designs, fine, but for the love of God, don't say you know the movie's gonna be terrible just based on the designs of everything alone.
If the same amount of effort is being put into the designs as into everything else, though....
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:54 AM   #74
⚡Dukemon

Quote:
If the same amount of effort is being put into the designs as into everything else, though....
And this is what I was talking about.

Don't insult the people working on the film. Like you could do any better. How do you know how much effort was put into the designs? Have you ever art directed a film adaption?

Gonna assume no.

Don't like the designs? Good for you.

But if you're going to insult other people's art, that's where I stop taking you seriously.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 11:57 AM   #75
hasso_opitz
Xiao the Uchu Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemon22 View Post

Don't insult the people working on the film. Like you could do any better. How do you know how much effort was put into the designs? Have you ever art directed a film adaption?

Gonna assume no.

But if you're going to insult other people's art, that's where I stop taking you seriously.
Oh you know you can't pull the "can you do better?!" It never works. If he doesn't like it he doesn't like it. At least now he's not going crazy every post.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:30 PM   #76
Sevenlima
Power Ranger

There's nothing new in this traier.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:37 PM   #77
cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigan View Post
Sure, why not? There were still plenty of people who started shitting on it as soon as it was announced to be all women, way before we ever actually saw anything from the movie for ourselves. Then those people just never changed their minds, no matter how much was being put in front of them. Doomsaying for the sake of doomsaying.

The movie was sort of bad though.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:41 PM   #78
⚡Titanium321

Quote:
I've explained it before. Mastodons and Triceratops both had four legs, not six, not eight. The suits' designs don't resemble even a stylized version of MMPR's. Rita doesn't look anything like Rita. Save for the Power Sword, all the weapons are nowhere to be found. The Megazord and Goldar don't appear to even echo their television counterparts.
But even with extra legs, you can still see they are a blue Triceratops and Black Mastodon robot. So how does that extra leg make them unrecognizable? A blue robot triceratops and black mastodon really only have one reference point in pop culture. If they weren't actually Power Rangers, people would be claiming "that's copying/ripping off Power Rangers." in design.

The suits do resemble a stylized PR though, it's not the exact detail pattern but visually they are very clearly inspired by MMPR. The white diamond in the chest, the helmets with lips, solid colors, it's not a perfect 1:1 recreation obviously, but it's close enough to be recognizable as Power rangers. Color alone can do that for the majority of the audience, both general and fandom.

I can give you Rita, she's unrecognizable from the show. I give it a pass for being obviously a story reason there and not just done to be done.

The Weapons being absent makes them unrecognizable? How? I get being annoyed not having all the weapons, but why are the absence of the weapons something that makes them unrecognizable?

You're going off the awful toy designs then? The Megazord combiner toy looks similar to the show design. That said, five robots made of dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals combining can really only be recognizable as the Megazord. Goldar actually does have decal and detailing that looks like show goldar, the coloring is what's really off there, on the toy. What more does it need to be recognizable to you?

Quote:
All the marketing more resembles Heroes (and not good Heroes), Chronicle and a host of lower-tier comic movies. What I see from what we know so far is a cynical cash-in with little effort behind it. Maybe it'll look nice, but I see few checks on the bad ideas pushed by Lionsgate, pushed by Weta.
The marketing resembles Heroes? The show? How so? Did Chronicle get marketing? The marketing so far resembles Lionsgate's releases of the past few years. Notably Hunger games, with the character focus pictures. The Color posters scream Power Rangers. I don't understand how you think the marketing makes the movie unrecognizable. This doesn't really explain that as much as state you think its the marketing, what about it isn't recognizable to you? Like specifically, how is it Heroes/Chronicle/low tier comic movie?

The last thing this looks like is a cynical cash in. It looks like effort was put in, hell a cynical cash in would not take the time to add tiny details in like the street names or making sure the mascot/school team name lined up.

It seems like here you're going back to "the things I don't like the look of" not "unrecognizable" with the bad ideas line.

Quote:
Saban dispatched Tony Oliver to babysit the MMPR movie (which had a few bad ideas that never saw the silver screen). It doesn't seem like this film had any such measures taken.
Of course this film didn't have such measures. Those measures almost killed the first movie. Saban trying to keep hands on the film screwed with production, he fought to make it basically TAPRM the first time around and Fox had to come in and get involved to make it a functional film for release.

This movie was allowed to be its own thing and that can only be a benefit. It's not supposed to be a two hour episode of the show on the silver screen. I really don't understand this point in relation to making the movie unrecognizable.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:46 PM   #79
cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wammyguide View Post
But the visual aspects of a film CAN make or break it. If that wasn't true, James Cameron would have just thrown some blue facepaint on a few guys, put up some Christmas lights and call it a wrap (for Avatar). If someone finds the film to be visually displeasing, it will have an effect on how that person views that movie.
Old December 23rd, 2016, 12:54 PM   #80
PlatinumBlack
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukemon22 View Post

Gonna assume no.

Good point.. When I first saw the suits, it took me a while to getting used to it. Now I'm even used to it like I just watched a show with the suits for a whole year. I really like them now.

The same was for GoBusters and to an lesser extent TOQger ( still not used to it )

But couldn't you agree that they could have put a little more effort into recognizable features if they didn't hold so much to the "alien-like" design?

For example, Marvel translated Captain America suit pretty well into the movies and that was mostly spandex..
Closed Thread

Tags
2017, power rangers movie, use spoiler tags.