RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:02 PM   #81
TealMystechRanger
Terror adhaerens

Well, that was a pretty fun ride! A few random thoughts...

- loving the music, first of all. Totally different to Ghost's but no less awesome.
- found the slapstick early on a little too much... maybe due to the weird jumpy editing.
- I had to rewind for the Director's appearance in the CR Centre. That transition from serious face to wide-eyed smile needs to be a gif... even though the "pop!" sound really completed it. He looks to be Senin-levels of amusing acting.
- love how the combat is handled like gameplay... the leaping about in Level 1, spin-jumping over the enemy in Level 2...
- relatedly, those transformation sequences though! And the pixelated effects and the Rider kick! Man, so much fun.
- relatedly, I forgot about Emu blowing into the Gashat until it happened... love it!
- Poppy Pipopapo.
- loving that theme! Very up-tempo and feels different to Gaim, Ghost and Zyuohger's themes. Scratches my nostalgia bone plenty. Though the "hey!"s feel a bit too early 2010s/hipster to me... that's more a fault of all those dreary modern songs that use it birthing a connection in my mind, though.

Speaking of nostalgia, that translucent console that eight-year-old Emu got clearly denotes it being circa 2000. Emu being only a year older than me is nice - makes him a little more relatable to me in a weird way. I enjoyed him as a character; clumsy and well-intentioned regularly, but with a confidence and swagger as soon as he transforms. He's in his zone and it shows.

The teases of the other Riders at the end was great, as was clearly-Genm earlier on. Graphite is a cool design. Basic Bugster (should we go with Bugstars? Emu did point out the star on Asuna's scan of Souta) design still reminds me of turkey-headed Joey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoosmell View Post
Oh yeah, also the "character selection" screens that we saw in Ganbarizing and the GD Driver are also in the show, so...I guess we should be expecting a Gaim situation where we have 3 extra Riders that aren't considered important enough to have their own DX toys? Which is why we didn't learn about them earlier? Problem is they're making a big deal out of these 10 Gashats, all of which do have their own Level 2 sounds, but all of which are also power ups for main Riders so...who knows? Then again, after Drago Knight Hunter Z is introduced, it should probably free up a few of those Gashats so...
I suspect you're right with the end bit... even though we could see Riders using the other Gashats as their defaults, I can't imagine they'll be Secondary Riders or anything that prominent. Got to keep pushing new toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkvoodle View Post
a NEW Group by the name of Excite Subs has announced they will be working on Ex-Aid.

https://excitesubs.wordpress.com/201...ubbing-ex-aid/

will have to see how they turn out...
Very italic, but pretty good on the whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otokusastu Zetto View Post
Sad news from Overtime

Look what they say
Excite it is, then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Ron White View Post
Man, I didn't enjoy the premiere of a Digimon series or a Kamen Rider series in the same weekend. Am I dying?
I noticed that too. They were both fairly standard, but they're only introducing the main protagonist(s, in the case of Gatchmon), and the basic concepts which we already know. Hopefully you'll enjoy them more as we get to see the others and delve into story some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingSnail View Post
Also, I refuse to believe that a 16-bit side scrolling platformer, announced FIVE YEARS AGO, is one of the biggest game releases of the year. They do know what year it is, right?
I thought that too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
You're okay with a man transforming into a masked hero and definitely monsters, but a fictional video game release is what you have trouble believing?
But the former comes with the territory! We're watching it for that! It took them five bloody years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
Supposedly, the grunts change to match the genre the monster is based on. Salty was based on cooking games and so were the grunts.
Cookmon has competition, clearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNero View Post
I did notice how he seems to have 2 personalities, being a bit of a klutz when a Doctor and becoming a cocky pro when a Rider, even as far as changing pronouns from "boku" to "ore", which I thought was very cool.
I wouldn't go as far as "two personalities", but clearly he's in his element when gaming. I liked that - was different to the "I have no idea what I'm doing!" and the "I've never done this before but lol skillz". Sure, it's different doing it in real life, but he knows Mighty, he knows gaming, he knows the tricks. Imagine you were suddenly given a super-power based on the thing you're best at. Piece of park, walk in the cake!
TealMystechRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:31 PM   #82
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
The fact there's four Riders and still no main female one is a pretty big gripe too, it's not like she'd need her own belt or toys, etc.
I'm sure a movie-exclusive Kamen Rider Pipopabo has a 50/50 shot of happening.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:36 PM   #83
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

Aye, it's not different personalities, it's different levels of confidence. As a doctor he is new, as a gamer is well experienced and it all comes naturally to him.

Also, Super Mario Maker, a platforming game with creation tools, was one of the biggest game releases of 2015 in the real world. Not even in just "for specific audience", but in general for market sales, critical reviews, and attention granted to it.
In this fictional world? Clearly the Retro revival was more successful, perhaps as a way to distract people from the fact Tokyo gets nearly destroyed once a year by aliens, machines, monsters, and ancient human creatures, golems, and so forth. You know, realistic stuff.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:15 PM   #84
wammyguide
Power Ranger

Guys, is this true.....

wammyguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:38 PM   #85
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wammyguide View Post
Well... yeah, why wouldn't it be? They've had crossover movies for almost a decade now.
Kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:39 PM   #86
Tigran
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigan View Post
Well... yeah, why wouldn't it be? They've had crossover movies for almost a decade now.
It's all Decades fault!
Tigran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:45 PM   #87
wammyguide
Power Ranger

Quote:
It's just that the text kind of implies it's bigger than just simply Ghost and Ex-Aid.
wammyguide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 06:46 PM   #88
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wammyguide View Post
It's just that the text kind of implies it's bigger than just simply Ghost and Ex-Aid.
They always make it sound super special and exciting. It usually never is.
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:05 PM   #89
Allio
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Plastic Ranger View Post
That's probably the weirdest thing I've seen this year.

I don't know if I like it. But I am kind of interested to see what Level 3 looks like.

I do not like how there is already like 5 kamen riders. I guess we're gonna meet the one at a time and then we'll have a Gaim like series.
after ghost, I would more than welcome it.

I guess I just prefer Several Riders than several forms; especially when they all have to premiere before christmas

honestly, I can't wait for Battride War with Ex-aid in it, they all seem like they would fit in perfectly.

Last edited by Allio; October 3rd, 2016 at 07:15 PM.
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:29 PM   #90
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Hito no inochi wa chiikyu no... ehhh?

Well, that was incredibly flashy and wacky. And a nice throwback to another generation of video games. I'm not sold on the story yet, though. But the workings are there. Some of the CGI, though, is really obvious.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:19 PM   #91
⚡Taichi
Smells like a Rose...

32 eBay
Wow...that was something else!

So the music, battle scenes and sheer game theme are spot on for me. Brilliant. However, not feeling the wacky vibe yet. But you can't judge the series by a handful of scenes from just from one episode. The overall feel, yeah, feels a little like Drive... not liking that. Not because Drive was awful, just that we had a series with the same setup. CGI, like in any KR series, needs serious work. But once again the henshin scenes are top notch!

I can see a tad of Gaim in this though... underlying. They're pulling a bit here and there from other series. Wizard is there with the infected and having to free the victim.

I do feel a promising start though.
Taichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 09:46 PM   #92
⚡GreenNinja
Ninja of the Blue Sky

This has been making the rounds. All the song titles near the arcade machine are references to past Riders, with Fourze's being a double-reference to Macross Frontier.

All I'm saying, Avex, is if you make these actual songs and put them on an album, I will buy them.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:11 PM   #93
CrimsonEcho
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
This has been making the rounds. All the song titles near the arcade machine are references to past Riders, with Fourze's being a double-reference to Macross Frontier.

All I'm saying, Avex, is if you make these actual songs and put them on an album, I will buy them.
That's such a nice touch!
CrimsonEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:12 PM   #94
Kaigan

Quote:

After last year, I'd settle for one fucking song in general.

Seriously Avex, what the fuck happened with Ghost!?
Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:21 PM   #95
CrimsonEcho
Power Ranger

Quote:
After last year, I'd settle for one fucking song in general.

Seriously Avex, what the fuck happened with Ghost!?
Yeah the music side was pretty dead during Ghost's run.
CrimsonEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 11:47 PM   #96
JaimeZeo
Go-On, then.

I'd genuinely like an explanation or reason given for Ghost's complete lack of music. It's the only Rider (or Toei series in general) to feature no additional songs aside from the opening (Kuuga didn't have any in the show either, but did have an album full of them).

It was definitely a factor working against Ghost and its perceived quality, for me. The score was mostly pretty good (and we only just got that released, weirdly) but character themes, insert songs... nothing. Imagine Den-O or OOO without all the great music popping up in every episode. It'd just feel empty.

I'm really hoping this isn't a new trend, especially when Sentai doesn't seem to be suffering with the same problem.
JaimeZeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 12:29 AM   #97
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEcho View Post
Yeah the music side was pretty dead during Ghost's run.
I see what you did there.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:17 AM   #98
Yamato
Knight of Spear

Got around to watching Excite's release of episode 1.

Right off the bat I have to say I completely hate the slapstick comedy. I didn't laugh, didn't even smile at it. It was just so dumb.

The CGI for the monster was very erm....yeah. I quite liked the effects for the henshin and surprisingly I liked seeing his Level 1 form fight. Hoping they tone down on some effects though, when he changed to Level 2, it just felt over the top.

Emu's pretty likeable. However, like most series, I can see myself liking the secondary Riders more and I cannot wait to see Brave and Snipe in action. I did like the scene in the dark where they were lit up. That was awesome.

It's not gotten off to the great start I wanted it to, though. Hope that changes with Brave's debut.

Excite did say they apologised for the italics in the subs, and they won't happen again. Although I thought their subs were okay, I may go back to TVN for this series.
Yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 02:58 AM   #99
TealMystechRanger
Terror adhaerens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post
The CGI for the monster was very erm....yeah.
That's another point I forgot. Attack of the meatball monster. I was expecting that to be some kind of pupal stage that it'd change out of...
TealMystechRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 03:11 AM   #100
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Quote:

Ace of Spades already is an actual song.

Digifiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ᗧ•••ᗣ•••ᗣ••ᗣ, █ ▙ ▚ ▌▟, didtheyusecheatcodesyet, game ovah...?, pac-man eats ghost, player one start, usegamefaqs, winners don't use drugs