RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old October 3rd, 2016, 04:17 AM   #61
Merlin
FABulously Golden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo Ron White View Post
Man, I didn't enjoy the premiere of a Digimon series or a Kamen Rider series in the same weekend. Am I dying?
Nope. This premiere is very typical and formulaic, I didn't like it much either. I miss the premieres where the Rider already has his powers and the ongoing story unravels a subplot of his history. I agree that it feels like a repeat of Drive's premiere.

It's very difficult for me to like this aesthetic. Level 2's design isn't that bad by itself. Even the toyetic appeal isn't that bad. But seeing Ex-Aid in action with the Level 1 bouncy suit just had me cringing, I hate it. I would have much preferred if it were strictly an 8-bit digital suit to fight monsters in a 2D scrolling world.
Merlin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:15 AM   #62
⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

English subs for episode 1 are now up from EXCITE! Subs

Also, a big message from them in regards to how they will be handling it and asking for translation suggestions on a few things, to see what people would prefer: https://excitesubs.wordpress.com/201...aid-episode-1/
Morgan Lamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:30 AM   #63
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

32 eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Lamia View Post
English subs for episode 1 are now up from EXCITE! Subs

Also, a big message from them in regards to how they will be handling it and asking for translation suggestions on a few things, to see what people would prefer: https://excitesubs.wordpress.com/201...aid-episode-1/
So after crashing on Ghost they're not gonna promise fast subs anymore?
Shirubaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:36 AM   #64
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGalaxy View Post
I don't see how they could surpass Ghost in the toyetic department, that I felt was one big toy ad. Funny that I didn't find Ex-Aid's design bad, cause I thought it was unique and different, but I hated the Toqger suits for how plain they looked.
It's actually not too difficult to surpass Ghost in the toyetic department. It's called Drive.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:11 PM   #65
HydroFlyer2.0
X

I watched the first episode, and I have to say I'm genuinely conflicted on whether or not I dug it or not.

I enjoyed that it had more twists and turns than I originally anticipated it to have that I didn't catch when I watched the live stream, but it seems like once again, we're stuck with a Kamen Rider series that really overplays the comedic aspect of the franchise. More power to 'em, but comedic tokusatsu are rarely my cup of tea (in fact, I think the only one I've thoroughly enjoyed is Carranger). I'll give it a few more episodes to know whether or not I'm going to stick with it, but as of right now, I don't think I'd be too bummed if I didn't keep up.
HydroFlyer2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:18 PM   #66
zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

Seeing one the clips, it seems they are also incorporating some medical themes like what was originally thought?
zjranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:28 PM   #67
HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

I can't see that episode thrilled me much. It reminded me a lot of Drive. The girl in the arcade machine doesn't excite me either, although at least she won't be a Kiriko clone as a I feared.

Also, I refuse to believe that a 16-bit side scrolling platformer, announced FIVE YEARS AGO, is one of the biggest game releases of the year. They do know what year it is, right?
HowlingSnail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 12:45 PM   #68
⚡Toast
J U S T I C E

Just finished the first episode (EXCITE's subs were decent in my opinion).

It was...okay. The whole fight scene as "Level 1" was ridiculous, so I'm hoping that it's rarely ever used again outside the first handful of episodes. Things got a lot better in multiple ways once he reached "Level 2". What didn't help with that first fight though was the really dated CGI. Is there a reason why this is one aspect that hasn't improved in years? I can give the CGI effects (like rumble, smoke, explosions etc) a pass, it's just the hideously designed/animated creatures that really pull me out of it.

Something else I'm not a fan of, in any rider series, are grunt-like footsoldiers for the enemy. Especially when they've got, what looks like, raw chickens on their heads.

But yeah, I'll probably watch next week. The aesthetic and overall theme are nice, pleasant to look at (minus Level 1) but I don't really care for the story yet. Maybe it'll be like Gaim where it takes a few episodes for the story to really kick in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlingSnail View Post
Also, I refuse to believe that a 16-bit side scrolling platformer, announced FIVE YEARS AGO, is one of the biggest game releases of the year. They do know what year it is, right?
You're okay with a man transforming into a masked hero and definitely monsters, but a fictional video game release is what you have trouble believing?
Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:00 PM   #69
⚡GreenNinja
Ninja of the Blue Sky

Quote:
Shovel Knight is one of the biggest games around, so...
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:21 PM   #70
HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
It's popular among a specific crowd. One of the biggest games around? Definitely not.
HowlingSnail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:22 PM   #71
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

32 eBay
Quote:
It's popular among a specific crowd. One of the biggest games around? Definitely not.
For once I agree with the snail.
Shirubaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:30 PM   #72
Akumaru
Power Ranger

Premiere of Ex-Aid

The First thing cross mine mind is kind similar things between Wizard and Drive a mix between those, for the plot between take the Virus and defeated kind between Wizard did with the Phantoms.

The Dynamic for now between the sounds effects reminds me a lot of Old Shool consoles like NES,MegaDrive,Snes Etc...

Kamen Rider Henshin transformation it was funny, I had to say the Level 1 Battle lit was hilarious and for some reason the kind of Bad CGI of the monster, but the details were fun, the change for Level 2 and battle the Grunts it was fun and them the sound effects again, reminds much the game from the past consoles.

The Arcade Girl I prefer to see more for now, and well let us see more of the show, and the final scene with that two guys.
Akumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 01:35 PM   #73
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Quote:
And this year alone we had a Mighty flop with the No 9...
tasti man LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:10 PM   #74
CrimsonEcho
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjranger View Post
Seeing one the clips, it seems they are also incorporating some medical themes like what was originally thought?
The whole premise is set in Hospitals. They are doctors who fight a digital virus. it's essentially a medical drama with Karen Rider
CrimsonEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:12 PM   #75
Ankh Prime
RIP Kaigan / 2,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasti man LH View Post
And this year alone we had a Mighty flop with the No 9...
One of the biggest trainwrecks in video game history and it was so glorious to watch it fail.
Ankh Prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:16 PM   #76
Ryoutarou
Dot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
What didn't help with that first fight though was the really dated CGI. Is there a reason why this is one aspect that hasn't improved in years?
It's the quick turn around from filming to post-production to airing. They're only ever a handful of episodes ahead of what's on TV at the moment. Things that aren't stock footage are done in a ridiculously short window of time.

In the US, you don't see a ton of CGI heavy live action shows. When you do see it used in live action, it's not on screen for very long so there's less work to do. (compared to Rider)

Quote:
Something else I'm not a fan of, in any rider series, are grunt-like footsoldiers for the enemy. Especially when they've got, what looks like, raw chickens on their heads.
Supposedly, the grunts change to match the genre the monster is based on. Salty was based on cooking games and so were the grunts.

Quote:
One of the biggest trainwrecks in video game history and it was so glorious to watch it fail.
It really wasn't. Personally speaking, I wanted the game to succeed cause Inafune can make a damn good game when he's surrounded by the right people but Mighty No. 9 was not that game.
Ryoutarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:18 PM   #77
Ankh Prime
RIP Kaigan / 2,174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoutarou View Post
It really wasn't. Personally speaking, I wanted the game to succeed cause Inafune can make a damn good game when he's surrounded by the right people but Mighty No. 9 was not that game.
Well, I didn't really mean the game itself. I just meant everything surrounding the game. The entire Kickstarter campaign and the way the game was rolled out was just hilariously poorly handled and it was very fun to watch it all come crashing down. I'm evil.
Ankh Prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:44 PM   #78
RangerNero
MIGHTY MIGHTY ACTION X!

I really liked the premiere!
The comedy felt more like Sentai schtick this time around but I wasn't expecting a very seriously toned Rider anyway. Emu feels pretty generic so far but it's only the first episode so it's hard to judge. I did notice how he seems to have 2 personalities, being a bit of a klutz when a Doctor and becoming a cocky pro when a Rider, even as far as changing pronouns from "boku" to "ore", which I thought was very cool.

As for fights, both the fights for Levels 1 and 2 were great too, very unique and cool looking. I love love love the "Hit" effects and the Sonic jump sfx used for when he turned the hammer into the sword. The sfx and bgm for the episode in general were really good but I'm rarely disappointed by Rider bgm (Ghost's soundtrack is my favourite thing about that mess). I love the belt jingles too but I wish EXCITE didn't translate them literally but I suppose I can just watch TV-N whenever they decided to release ep 1. I wasn't too fond of that meatball monster but if you excuse it as looking like a PS1 boss, it's more tolerable.

I'm very interested to learn more about GENM and the dark looking guy with Graphite at the beginning. Oh, and the "assisting girl showing the main guy the base and telling him he's a Rider" thing was better done in Drive I feel. I'm rambling now, but even if Ex Aid gets worse it can't be anything close to Ghost unless it tries to be.
RangerNero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:46 PM   #79
The Plastic Ranger
Feeling Lucky!!!

That's probably the weirdest thing I've seen this year.

I don't know if I like it. But I am kind of interested to see what Level 3 looks like.

I do not like how there is already like 5 kamen riders. I guess we're gonna meet the one at a time and then we'll have a Gaim like series.
The Plastic Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 02:47 PM   #80
Akumaru
Power Ranger

The concept of the Doctors fighting a Digital Virus, this almost reminds me GB and RPM
Akumaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ᗧ•••ᗣ•••ᗣ••ᗣ, █ ▙ ▚ ▌▟, didtheyusecheatcodesyet, game on, pac-man eats ghost, player one start, usegamefaqs, winners don't use drugs