RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old January 12th, 2017, 11:03 PM   #5241
DarknessRanger
Darkness Untainted

Switch presentation saved a lot of its details for after the stream, but there was a lot announced.

-Breath of the Wild not-so-subtly launches with the system on 3/3.
-A couple tech demo minigame things of course in 1-2-Switch and ARMS.
-Disgaea 5 port, likely the obligatory expanded edition
-FAST Racing 3
-Dragonball Xenoverse port (either 1 or 2, unsure)
-compilation of both Dragon Quest Heroes games
-Fire Emblem Warriors
-I am Setsuna port
-Mario Kart 8 indeed gets an expanded "Deluxe" port
-No More Heroes 3
-Project Octopath Traveler
-New untitled MegaTen game
-Splatoon 2 instead of a port, fine with me
-Super Bomberman R (YEEEEESSSS)
-new Mario is more like the original 3D games with the sandbox-style levels. And a living hat.
-The newest port of Street Fighter 2 since the HD remix, with even MORE new stuff apparently. Surprising.

And hey, no region locking. Buuuuuuuut paid online. Just... why?

Middle of the road for me. A lot of games I want, but paid online leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #5242
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

(cross posted from the Switch thread)

Ok, let's break things down a bit...

Switch Console

...yeah the features of the Switch itself absolutely justified the $300 price tag. Just goddamn.

Also it does address one lingering question from the first trailer: that yes, you can charge the Switch independent of the Dock. So if you want to just plug in and charge while sitting calmly at a table away from your TV or on your bed (like I will), you can do it.

Having internet connectivity via only Wifi...slightly disappointing since this means when being out and about you either have no internet connection and thus only local multiplayer at best. But to be perfectly honest, I do think it's asking WAY too much for the Switch to have cellular data capability. And it would have been way more expensive then $300.

Speaking of battery...yeah 2.5-6 hours is not great. Actually, I think that's about the same When taking it out of the house, while that battery life is fine for the commutes to and back from school/work for stuff like long distance rides on the plane...not so much.

And while they briefly talk about online capabilities...they never really went into much specifics. Which does worry me a bit that Nintendo is still going to be vastly behind Xbox Live and PSN in terms of functionality and features. But we'll see.

-1-2 Switch

AKA: "minigames of tech demos". Not that surprising.

-Arms

So...they took Wii Boxing/Punch Out!!! Wii...with the silliness of Punch Out!!!...and gave everyone Stretch Armstrong arms?

K then.

Also, thus far this game wins the award for "lamest title of a Switch game".

-Splatoon 2

Usual sequel-ing: more weapons, more maps, more customization options, and if the first trailer was any indication, hopes to go full e-sports.

Great for fans, but this franchise just isn't for me. And as such, a hard pass.

-Super Mario Odyssey

Wait...a popular platformer....going to the "real" world...with normal looking humans.

OH MY GOD THEY'RE SONIC 2006-ING MARIO!!! EVERYONE RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!! NINTENDO HAS FINALLY GONE MAD!!! WE MUST CLEANSE THIS ABOMINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...but seriously though:

Yeah, now that they put it like that, we really haven't had a 3D sandbox style Mario game since SM64 and Sunshine. Huh. And yeah, with the whole concept of Mario having to head to other worlds outside of the Mushroom Kingdom, in theory this would mean not just new environments and enemies, but also new puzzles. Something a bit different then the usual array of green pipes, Goombas, and Chain-Chomps people have faced every other umpteenth time.

Not on my immediate "must-have" list because I'm really not a Mario guy,

-Xenoblade 2

Wait, "Xenoblade 2"? Then what the hell was "Xenoblade Chronicles X"?

...otherwise, me personally, never could get into Xenoblade Chronicles (specifically the 3D version), so a pass for me.

-Fire Emblem Warriors

Oh fuck you Nintendo/Koei-Tecmo.

Fire Emblem's awesome...but the next game in the franchise is a freaking Dynasty Warriors-styled spin off?! AKA gameplay I personally don't like? You can't make me choose like this!!!

(And for the record: after searching myself...yes, I like Fire Emblem more then Zelda. Hence my indifference towards Hyrule Warriors)

-Dragon Quest X & XI, Heroes 1-2

Don't care about Dragon Quest.

-"Shin Megami Tensei V(?)"

Seriously. Why would they call it anything else? They even went as far as showing a 25th anniversary version of the SMT logo.

-Project Octopath Traveler/ "Bravely Default 3 (?)"

I'm thinking of it as "Bravely Default 3" because the art style looks a lot like the Bravely games, and the style of the logo looks a lot like the Bravely Default logos.

And considering the Bravely franchise's whole shtick is "retro Final Fantasy in everything but name" and considering the pixel art, looks like it could be.

SEGA

"Yeah...we're here too!!!"

-TESV: Skyrim

Portable Skyrim...uh...yay?

Well for starters they still haven't addressed the mammoth in the room that is "Is this the Remastered version or just a port of the original PS3/Xbox360 version?"

And my regular issue still persists: people who had really wanted to play Skyrim have probably already played it to death on other platforms. Either when it first launched, when its' GOTY edition launched, and again with its Remastered version. And it's a +5 year old game.

Are there really enough people that want to experience the novelty of playing Skyrim on the go? Because...I really don't. And I'm a huge Elder Scrolls fan.

-"No More Heroes 3 (?)"

Again. What else would it be?

Travis Touchdown is the protagonist of the No More Heroes franchise. It has been this way since the game first came out on the Wii. He has not, and never been, a main character in any other game. So how could it NOT be No More Heroes 3?

Dammit Suda51. Stop being so pants-on-head crazy.

-EA's FIFA '18

Oh EA, you're here too. K thanks bye.

-LoZ: Breath of the Wild

...those dicks. Dragging out the release date announcement like that.

But yeah. It is in fact a launch title for the Switch. Which means guaranteed seller for the Switch AND for BotW.

Fuggin' scumbags... *pulls out wallet*

DarknessRanger wrote: View Post

Buuuuuuuut paid online. Just... why?

Middle of the road for me. A lot of games I want, but paid online leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Eh, it's to be expected.

Going to need the extra money to pay for the upkeep for the (supposedly) much improved online infrastructure.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:29 AM   #5243
GokaiGold
Phantom Thief

Eh, probably because I'm not a huge Nintendo fan, but that conference was weak sauce. Just not many games that are enticing me to get this at launch. The weak launch line-up, weak battery, looking like a pass for now.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #5244
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

GokaiGold wrote: View Post

Eh, probably because I'm not a huge Nintendo fan, but that conference was weak sauce. Just not many games that are enticing me to get this at launch. The weak launch line-up, weak battery, looking like a pass for now.
Only reason I bothered to pre-order it (which I did...I'm shocked that I did manage to land a pre-order but there you go) was because of BotW being a launch title.

Otherwise...yeah we've either got games that I personally was never interested in the first place (Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2), have KIND of a passing interest in but not enough to pre-order now (Super Mario Odyssey), or stuff that I am super interested in, but is probably not coming out this year ("Shin Megami Tensei V", Project Octopath Traveler).

Aside from the NA translator/narrator sucking all of the life out of the presentation, the presentation itself was fine and had a good amount of games on...just not that many games for me.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #5245
Spider-Phoenix
XY&Z

Fire Emblem Warriors? Sounds interesting. Hopefully it'll use the characters on Smash Bros.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:45 AM   #5246
christopherjohn
VIP Rider

GokaiGold wrote: View Post

Still they at least have an exclusive that makes a day one purchase for me with Zelda. I've been waiting years for the Xbox One to give me that bait and sadly nothing.
Old January 13th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #5247
StarTheFixer
Burn Like My Power!

christopherjohn wrote: View Post

Still they at least have an exclusive that makes a day one purchase for me with Zelda. I've been waiting years for the Xbox One to give me that bait and sadly nothing.
And nintendo has been better in the past about that with their consoles? Did we forget about why the 3DS sold so bad the first year of launch because all the games that came out were mostly 3rd party games that no one wanted or asked for and were poorly acclaimed? The only actual first party game we got at launch and for several months to come was Nintendogs of all things <_<

Look at the Wii U launch titles, those were mostly all ports of games that had been out on other consoles for several months that everyone probably already had played and wasn't worth buying a second time, or in some cases made so sense at all (Mass Effect 3?!)
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:14 AM   #5248
christopherjohn
VIP Rider

StarTheFixer wrote: View Post

And nintendo has been better in the past about that with their consoles? Did we forget about why the 3DS sold so bad the first year of launch because all the games that came out were mostly 3rd party games that no one wanted or asked for and were poorly acclaimed? The only actual first party game we got at launch and for several months to come was Nintendogs of all things <_<

Look at the Wii U launch titles, those were mostly all ports of games that had been out on other consoles for several months that everyone probably already had played and wasn't worth buying a second time, or in some cases made so sense at all (Mass Effect 3?!)
What does this have to do with Xboxone and Switch? I agree Nintendo has a horrible track record for doing just that. Yet Nintendo has Zelda and Mario. Microsoft has had 1 title that I was humoring an Xbox for but it was also on the play anywhere meaning I didn't need an xbox to play and that was Scalebound. That has since been cancelled. I guess I'll stick with my PC and PS4 for games till Microsoft gives me an exclusive that has me.
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:03 AM   #5249
ShadowNeko003
~NYAH~

eBay
I find N's paid online "perks" sub standard. Free game for only a month? And it's limited to NES and SNES (for now???). The "sales" now are pathetic when PS/X1 offer better, on both 1st/3rd party and AAA games. The most you get out of Nintendo is between 10-30% off their digital titles that's been out for 5 yrs. They gotta be crazy with their paid current setup. Not to mention, they only offer a free trial for early adopters. Doesnt look like you can get one a few years down and get a 30 trial (going by their wording).

And honestly, I find the price point expensive. It's the current price of the Wii U and you can get PS4/X1 for ~$250 with games. I wont be getting one unless a new Smash titles is announced. And even then, it's a long stretch. Im not spending $70-80 on 1 controller.

Also, has there's been any announcement for new Mario Kart 8 dlc Wii U? I wouldnt mind the battle mode that was shown on the Deluxe version for the Switch
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #5250
Lord-Zero
Chameliac was trolled...

eBay
Spider-Phoenix wrote: View Post

Fire Emblem Warriors? Sounds interesting. Hopefully it'll use the characters on Smash Bros.
From what we saw in the teaser, it seems that, at the very least, Chrom, Corrin, Ryoma, Xander and Marth will be playable and that it'll focus on Awakening, Fates and Shadow Dragon for characters and story scenario. Maybe they'll add more story scenarios focused on other Fire Emblem games later.

@ShadowNeko003: The Joy-Con set is technically 2 controllers in one with all that other tech inside them.
Old January 13th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #5251
Adara.2
Power Ranger

Gouken is going to be depressed if Violent Ken is canon to the series of Street Fighter.
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #5252
DarknessRanger
Darkness Untainted

Lord-Zero wrote: View Post

From what we saw in the teaser, it seems that, at the very least, Chrom, Corrin, Ryoma, Xander and Marth will be playable and that it'll focus on Awakening, Fates and Shadow Dragon for characters and story scenario. Maybe they'll add more story scenarios focused on other Fire Emblem games later.

@ShadowNeko003: The Joy-Con set is technically 2 controllers in one with all that other tech inside them.
It could go either way. It's Musou, they could open up that roster any number of ways. If I recall, the thing with the five gems in the teaser is tied to recurring franchise imagery in some way, so it might not necessarily limit anything. If they take this chance to include characters from games that haven't seen international releases, that could be a great opportunity for Nintendo.
Old January 13th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #5253
Adara.2
Power Ranger

Resident Evil VII: Umbrella goes "hill-billy".

The Sims 4 finally has toddlers. Now if only they could make a more immersive edition for the game.

Last edited by Adara.2; January 13th, 2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old January 13th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #5254
RedMystechRanger
Ars Deicidium

Is Nintendo just not shipping any consoles out at all at the moment? I haven't seen a single piece of Nintendo hardware at any of my local Targets in a while (and I've been in all three major local ones A LOT in the past two months) and a search for 3DS on Amazon turns up a lot of models only being available from third parties.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #5255
StarTheFixer
Burn Like My Power!

Derp Derpingwood the 3rd wrote: View Post

Is Nintendo just not shipping any consoles out at all at the moment? I haven't seen a single piece of Nintendo hardware at any of my local Targets in a while (and I've been in all three major local ones A LOT in the past two months) and a search for 3DS on Amazon turns up a lot of models only being available from third parties.
As I posted a few weeks ago, some gaming sites mentioned some store employees reported that nintendo was recalling Wii Us from the stores, meaning stores were taking what they had on the shelf and sending them back. With the Switch coming out so soon I guess this would maybe make sense so they don't have a repeat of the Wii and Wii U disaster with people just buying the cheaper console instead of the newer one, or not even knowing what/if there was a difference between the two.

The reason for 3DS's only be available through 3rd parties online is because probably they were all bought out by scalpers when they marked them down to $99 during black friday. I managed to snag one from Targets site after trying, but most were sold out within hours and it didn't help that some retailers put them out for sale on their sites the day before the sale was supposed to start. Are they marked up through 3rd parties? I bet they are <_<
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #5256
RedMystechRanger
Ars Deicidium

StarTheFixer wrote: View Post

The reason for 3DS's only be available through 3rd parties online is because probably they were all bought out by scalpers when they marked them down to $99 during black friday. I managed to snag one from Targets site after trying, but most were sold out within hours and it didn't help that some retailers put them out for sale on their sites the day before the sale was supposed to start. Are they marked up through 3rd parties? I bet they are <_<
I'm talking about EVERYTHING. Not just the ones that were $99 on BF. Every single type of 3DS and 2DS.
Old January 14th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #5257
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

Yeah...that I have no goddamned clue on.

Just, what's the point of pulling all the 3DS consoles?

WiiU getting pulled at least makes some amount of sense. But the 3DS? It was always way more successful then the WiiU. And there was a lot of evidence pointing to Nintendo bunkering down in case the Switch flopped as a portable handheld and moving forward with the 3DS and its' successor.

Especially since, if we take the word of Junichi Masuda of Game Freak and how the company is pulling a "wait and see" in regards to Pokemon on the Switch. And if things go bad for the Switch and they decide not to...isn't it kind of bad for everyone if there are no 3DS consoles in stock for new customers to play the newer Pokemon games on?

Speaking of which: yeah, there was still some people who hadn't bought Sun and Moon yet or a 3DS to go with it. Including my sister.
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #5258
TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

For everyone giving good words to Konami regarding Super Bomberman on the Switch: When Konami funds a new, good Silent Hill game, then we'll talk giving them good acknowledgement again.
Old January 14th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #5259
tasti man LH
[[Unamused]]

TheDreamMaster wrote: View Post

For everyone giving good words to Konami regarding Super Bomberman on the Switch: When Konami funds a new, good Silent Hill game, then we'll talk giving them good acknowledgement again.
Too late, we're getting Resident Evil VII instead as a replacement for Silent Hills.
Old January 14th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #5260
TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

tasti man LH wrote: View Post

Too late, we're getting Resident Evil VII instead as a replacement for Silent Hills.
Naw, I know what you're getting at, and RE7 does look great. That said, RE deserved a good entry again after lackluster 5 and shit show 6 (I've heard good things about the Revelations games though). At least Capcom seems to have taken a decent look at things and tried something different.
Closed Thread