RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Administration > Announcements
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old June 19th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Official Simple Questions & Answers about how to USE RangerBoard/Forum ONLY.

This is a safe haven thread where there's no stupid question.

As long as you follow the rules, and you're not trolling, you will be assisted.

I request all staff and veteran members to assist anyone that asks a simple question just to get a simple answer.

This isn't a place to tell a user how to search or to search themselves. It's a place to provide direct answers.

Thanks.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #2
SIT SEEYAH
Sleepy

Is there a way I can get a GIF, or a "moving avatar" for my account? I've noticed some non-member's have them but I can't figure it out.
SIT SEEYAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
ϟDecade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranno Ranger View Post
Is there a way I can get a GIF, or a "moving avatar" for my account? I've noticed some non-member's have them but I can't figure it out.
You can, but commonly "GIF" files are pretty big.
So only users with larger Avatar limitations such as staff or VIP-2 can handle them.

Using a regular membership, you're unlikely able to.

For more information about VIP, please read here:
http://www.RangerBoard.com/faq.php?f...op#faq_faq_vip
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

When I'm not logged in, I can see everyone's avatar etc, but when I'm logged in I can't. Is there any reason for this?
Spoony Spoonerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Omega-Red
White_with_Evil

Speaking of GIFs, is there any way to scale down their dimensions? For example taking a 200 x 200 gif and scaling it down to 150x150?
Omega-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #6
Aberration
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony Spoonerson View Post
When I'm not logged in, I can see everyone's avatar etc, but when I'm logged in I can't. Is there any reason for this?
If you go to User CP > Edit Options, look for a checkbox called "Show Avatars" (should be more than halfway down the page in the "Thread Display Options" pane), do you have that checked?
Aberration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7
ϟDecade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Red View Post
Speaking of GIFs, is there any way to scale down their dimensions? For example taking a 200 x 200 gif and scaling it down to 150x150?
For displaying? There is, but it would be on the board setting I believe and it would kind of defeat the purpose of allowing up to the specific sizes.
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #8
⚡OmegaRangerRed

32 eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
For displaying? There is, but it would be on the board setting I believe and it would kind of defeat the purpose of allowing up to the specific sizes.
I think they actually mean I way to reduce the size of the GIF so that a user with a smaller avatar size could use it.

I cant think of a program off hand but I am sure there is one. I dont know if you will be able to simply reduce the size or if you will have to edit or crop each scene.
OmegaRangerRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #9
PowerDigiDragon
Public Enemy Number #1

Here my question. Why doesn't RangerBoard have a delete the post option like other forums? I mean some times people forget thier thoughts and instead of being able to delete a post. They have to put nm down. Wouldn't it be easier to be able to delete a post and start over?
PowerDigiDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #10
ϟDecade

Oh, Adobe ImageReady works great.

I actually create mine in big sizes then crop & or resize them after.
I wouldn't mind helping people to reduce them to the sizes they need them to be if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDigiDragon View Post
Here my question. Why doesn't RangerBoard have a delete the post option like other forums? I mean some times people forget thier thoughts and instead of being able to delete a post. They have to put nm down. Wouldn't it be easier to be able to delete a post and start over?
I'm not sure why "RangerBoard", never had it, but I say why I wouldn't want it; because it breaks conversations and possibly even remove evidence of any users causing havoc.

You can edit a post, so what difference does that make?
None to the public, for the staff we can still see both versions of the original post & each edit made.
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #11
Gold Ranger
aka TokuChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
Oh, Adobe ImageReady works great.

I actually create mine in big sizes then crop & or resize them after.
I wouldn't mind helping people to reduce them to the sizes they need them to be if needed.

I'm not sure why "RangerBoard", never had it, but I say why I wouldn't want it; because it breaks conversations and possibly even remove evidence of any users causing havoc.

You can edit a post, so what difference does that make?
None to the public, for the staff we can still see both versions of the original post & each edit made.
Do you utilize a specific add-on for the feature of being able to view an editted post's original post, without having to go through the AdminCP? I know the "delete a post" feature will, for all registered users and non-forum moderators, be invisible, but for any "Super Moderator" or "Administrator" the deleted post will still show on the discussion page, with a link to see the deleted post.
Gold Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #12
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Ranger View Post
Do you utilize a specific add-on for the feature of being able to view an editted post's original post, without having to go through the AdminCP? I know the "delete a post" feature will, for all registered users and non-forum moderators, be invisible, but for any "Super Moderator" or "Administrator" the deleted post will still show on the discussion page, with a link to see the deleted post.
This is what I was about to ask. On the other forums I frequent (which also use vBulletin software), mods and admins talk about being able to view deleted posts. Is that not possible here?
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #13
Blowy
Power Ranger

My simple question is: Is this thread for simple questions on how the board works, questions about PR, or general questions about anything (or all of the above!)?
Blowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #14
ConsoleZ
Washing his tights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowy View Post
My simple question is: Is this thread for simple questions on how the board works, questions about PR, or general questions about anything (or all of the above!)?
I assume that this thread is for anything so long as you're not trolling for a stupid answer.

Oh, I got one: would this thread be an appropriate place for those with questions that get "list" replies?
ConsoleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #15
Joesus
Smarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsoleZ View Post
Oh, I got one: would this thread be an appropriate place for those with questions that get "list" replies?
My guess would be no, because then any new questions would get buried under all the various lists being posted.
Joesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:49 PM   #16
Omega-Red
White_with_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaRangerRed View Post
I think they actually mean I way to reduce the size of the GIF so that a user with a smaller avatar size could use it.
Yes, this is what I was asking.
Omega-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #17
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Red View Post
Yes, this is what I was asking.
That is quite the beast. RB's file size max for avatars are VERY low even if you host it outside the site. It's a mere 97.7KB so for even a VIP 2 member to have an animated gif it would have to be very small, very short, and the quality will be very bad do to the file size being so small. Mods I assume are not held to that limitation. In short, unless your GIF is going to be a 3 frame pixel art GIF it's just not worth it for you to do because it'll look pretty awful.
Xenotome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #18
MasterMystechRanger
The One You Love to Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsoleZ View Post
I would assume no. List threads aren't allowed because they contribute nothing to conversation. This thread is here to get people help for simple questions they have that would otherwise just repeat a dead thread, or clog up the forums, etc.
MasterMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #19
MoonsKnight
as The Hopping Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myzou View Post
I would assume no. List threads aren't allowed because they contribute nothing to conversation. This thread is here to get people help for simple questions they have that would otherwise just repeat a dead thread, or clog up the forums, etc.
Well... list posts ARE simple answers...
MoonsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #20
MasterMystechRanger
The One You Love to Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonsKnight View Post
Well... list posts ARE simple answers...
Yes, but they contribute nothing. They don't even help people, which is the point of this thread.

A mod would be a better person to answer if they're allowed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a no. It will just clog up this thread and prevent actual questions from being answered.
MasterMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, questions, tags r 4 vips :)