RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old January 14th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #1341
⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
A hundred million dollars opening weekend? Am I understanding this right? People are thinking this is going to break a hundred million dollars opening weekend?
Old January 14th, 2017, 11:46 AM   #1342
Kaigan
Banned

Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

A hundred million dollars opening weekend? Am I understanding this right? People are thinking this is going to break a hundred million dollars opening weekend?
I was personally being facetious.

I could see it hitting 75 maybe, but not triple digits.
Old January 14th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #1343
Poweranimals
Raptor Power

I said it was at least possible. It's not exactly that uncommon for movies to make these days.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #1344
RiffRanger
Justice for K and HB

grnrngr wrote: View Post

So you wouldn't be surprised if the movie made $5 million in its first weekend or $150 million in its first weekend?
Honestly, no. The interest is there for it to have a huge opening weekend, but it could easily be lost with a bad trailer and/or bad reviews.

But what would be a good opening weekend in your opinion?
$75 million.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #1345
maslego
Idea Ranger

grnrngr wrote: View Post

But what would be a good opening weekend in your opinion?
At least making back its budget by default is usually a good time.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #1346
Kaigan
Banned

maslego wrote: View Post

At least making back its budget by default is usually a good time.
It's a $150M movie. I just don't see it doing that opening weekend at all.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #1347
RiffRanger
Justice for K and HB

Kaigan wrote: View Post

It's a $150M movie. I just don't see it doing that opening weekend at all.
I think at this point people are both over- and under-selling this movie. We don't know how the next two months will go. A lot is still up in the air. As I've said, the interest is there. People praised the teaser and are clamoring for a second trailer. That's good, but the ball can still be dropped. I don't think it will happen, but the trailer could be terrible and drive people away. There's always the chance that the movie will just plain suck and the reviews will kill it. Again, I don't think this is likely, but I feel like literally anything is possible at this point. On the other hand, the trailer could be amazing and the movie could get glowing reviews and people trip over themselves to see it. The movie COULD possibly make $150 million opening weekend. It could also fail to break double digits. Neither scenario is likely but the reality will depend on how the next two months go.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #1348
⚡Titanium321

RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

Huh, a call from Haim Saban himself. Very interesting quotes from him. It seems he really thought through not only the decision to take the role but how to approach the role of Zordon.
I missed that, apparently. Where does it say he got a call from Haim himself? It sounds like Israelite called him, with the same fan idea for casting Zordon a lot of fans had.

Depending on the level of action and effects it has and promotes itself with, that's not an unreasonable number. Especially with Lionsgate's YA sci-fi films to compare against as well as super hero movies.

It really depends on what the next wave of promotion does.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:33 PM   #1349
Poweranimals
Raptor Power

^Take the Hunger Games movies for instance. All over $100 OW. Not to mention most of those ridiculous Twilight movies.

Last edited by Poweranimals; January 14th, 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #1350
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

If the rumored $120M production budget is true, then let's spitball a total budget of $180M. The studio is going to want a bare minimum 10% return on investment, so that means at least $198M needs to go into the studio's pockets before they're happy. On average, a movie makes 41% of its gross in the U.S./Canada market. Of that market's gross, it makes an average of 31.1% on the opening weekend. The studio gets an average of 55% of that gross.

Using these figures, the minimum domestic opening that would be considered even remotely satisfying is about $45.9M.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #1351
RiffRanger
Justice for K and HB

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

If the rumored $120M production budget is true, then let's spitball a total budget of $180M. The studio is going to want a bare minimum 10% return on investment, so that means at least $198M needs to go into the studio's pockets before they're happy. On average, a movie makes 41% of its gross in the U.S./Canada market. Of that market's gross, it makes an average of 31.1% on the opening weekend. The studio gets an average of 55% of that gross.

Using these figures, the minimum domestic opening that would be considered even remotely satisfying is about $45.9M.
And that seems entirely doable. In fact, it sounds a bit low to me, based only on the reaction to the teaser and the interest in a second trailer.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #1352
Miraculous Bikkun
俺はここにいる!!

rmssw wrote: View Post

the interest in a second trailer.
This one is admittedly harder to gauge because a lot of it that I'm seeing is a relatively small number of PR fans screaming over and over again.
Old January 14th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #1353
Kaigan
Banned

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

This one is admittedly harder to gauge because a lot of it that I'm seeing is a relatively small number of PR fans screaming over and over again.
But we're all that matters.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #1354
RiffRanger
Justice for K and HB

It's not just us, though. Even the likes of Collider praised the teaser and anticipate the next one. The teaser did its job and garnered a lot of interest and that interest could either be snuffed out by a shitty trailer or it could explode with a great one. The fact is, people want to see more and it's not just us.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:02 PM   #1355
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Speaking of box office, we should be getting the first professional forecast of the film's performance in about two weeks. At that point, it will fall within range of Box Office Magazine's Long-Range Forecast, and the agonizing can commence.

FalconRanger11 wrote: View Post

At the end of the day if word of mouth isn't decent then none of that happens.
...That adds nothing to the conversation. It'll do worse if the word of mouth is bad? You don't fuckin' say. I obviously don't know what the word of mouth will be like, so I threw together a scenario based on averages.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #1356
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

I missed that, apparently. Where does it say he got a call from Haim himself? It sounds like Israelite called him, with the same fan idea for casting Zordon a lot of fans had.
It's in the IGN article the piece references.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #1357
RedPowerRanger93
Power Ranger

Red helmet is so damn sexy.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #1358
Kaigan
Banned

I am super excited about those helmets we've seen thirty billion times by now.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #1359
MenaceRx
Power Ranger

The more I see the CGI/Photoshopped helmets the less I like them.
Old January 14th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #1360
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Of course they're photoshopped a bit to clean up the image, but the helmets aren't Photoshop and CGI. We've seen them at events and it's not like they're radically different from there to here.
Closed Thread

Tags
2017, power rangers movie, use spoiler tags.