RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old August 5th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #81
megazordman1
Power Ranger

My first bionicle was Toa Hordika Vakama I remember it cause I was at the mall with my grandmother then when I got home I poured the contents of his container on my living room floor and my first reaction was . " wow these are some cool parts " I then built him and t was awesome that year I bought all the Hordika toa And got three of them for Christmas it was awesome . Sadly over the years since 2005 most of the parts for my hordika sets have been lost and I can no longer rebuild them.
megazordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #82
TealMystechRanger
One For All

Ooh, Hordika Vakama is a pretty awesome set! I want to go dig mine up now, but he's in the garage at the moment. Sorry to hear you've lost their parts. I'd advise trying to find them online, but of course it won't be the same as having your original ones.

Also, I was checking the Hero Factory set prices. If we assume the new BIONICLE sets will go along those lines, and that the Toa will be £12.99 each, that's £77.94 for the whole lot. Will need to make sure I have that money kept aside...
TealMystechRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #83
Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

My first was, I think, Onua.
Sir Koji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #84
TealMystechRanger
One For All

So technically snap, there.

Also, I checked the timestamps on my saved images of our first looks at the Hero Factory pages of the early 2011 and early 2012 LEGO catalogues. September 22nd 2010 for the 2011 one, and September 14th 2011 for the 2012 one. Don't have any for the last couple of years, but if the pattern has persisted, we may get clearer looks at the new sets next month.
Old August 5th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #85
Dark storm
Power Ranger

I just recently got a hordika vakama and nuju myself. My first one was Gali from the original set. The only 2 I hadn't gotten were Onewa and Lewa (mainly because my friend's brother already had it and we didn't want me to have the same one as him, lol). What I still find pretty funny was Gali was also the first toy I every got as a Chrsitmas present that I also already had. Never got rid of it, but lost the mask for a while, then lost the head and found the mask, lol.

Fortunately, any part I find missing from a bionicle I can find at bricklink.com without having to get a parts lot from ebay or something. I can just track down the parts I need. And I keep track of all my bionicle sets with brickset.com. If you guys have never used these and you have a lot of sets, keep these in your bookmarks. Really convenient when the time comes.
Lol, I still have a huge bag of the black ball joint connectors from ebay. But some of mine have broken before and since then.
Dark storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #86
TealMystechRanger
One For All

Your brother story reminds me that my brother got Tahnok-Kal for his birthday once, from a friend. He wasn't into BIONICLE so it was a bit of a waste, and I already had my own. It must still be around somewhere.

I've used Bricklink when investigating colours for hypothetical sets, or for planning MOCs (seeing what parts came in what colours). Not purchased from it, though. I've mainly used Brickset to check what older sets sold for back in the day. I've got a good enough memory to remember what sets I have, except for darn Pouks.

You know, I might have to check Bricklink for the Vahki and Visorak I don't have, when I've got money to spare...
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:15 PM   #87
Dark storm
Power Ranger

That's a pretty good idea too, for custom bionicles. Very cool. I had gotten a couple sets on there myself. I got my first bohrahk there very cheap but complete.
Dark storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #88
megazordman1
Power Ranger

Bricklink is awesome in the aspect of getting old sets for cheap I got 5 of the toa mata with their canisters for Christmas last year
megazordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #89
TealMystechRanger
One For All

Good to know they were nice and cheap. I'd want to buy the Vahki and Visorak that I never got, but money's a bit of an issue at the moment. Might leave them for next year unless I get enough money to spare.

And yeah, I came up with a cool Matoran build that I was contemplating getting parts for, and started working out some Inika-build Toa Mata too. I'd get parts pictures on Bricklink and lay them out on Paint in arrangement so I'd be able to remember the build. I'll have to look over them in a minute. I started planning a Titan-sized Baterra, too, but I think I only listed the parts rather than the build so I wouldn't be able to recreate it now... maybe I'll plan one with the CCBS once the new sets start appearing? If nothing else, the smooth, robotic panels would fit the Baterra more than most BIONICLE designs.
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #90
Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Calling it now. The gold armor on the Toa is going to be something related to the eventual return of Takanuva.
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #91
TealMystechRanger
One For All

Any specific theory on that, or just throwing it out there for future claiming? I'd love to hear if the former.

Also, reading discussion on BZP, the current question is reboot vs. continuation. If they could handle a continuation well, that'd be great - a lot of irrelevant info can be skimmed over (a couple of members put could 'start of story summaries'), and we can continue exploring the rich story content we were left with. I'd throw out Doctor Who's return in 2005, but it's an entirely different beast - there's a LOT of mythos to Doctor Who, but it's not all interconnected, linear and with as many major characters as BIONICLE. Still, the same method of starting off simple and gradually revisiting pertinent points over the years could be an interesting way to handle it.

Someone cited Evangelion as a confusing use of two canons/remakes. Because keeping two stories, that start the same, share most of the same cast and follow the same narrative beats are so hard to keep tabs on. I imagine he's not a Transformers fan.
Old August 7th, 2014, 08:04 PM   #92
Sir Koji
Knight of Ice

Nothing backs it up, it's just my guess.
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:20 AM   #93
TealMystechRanger
One For All

We'll see what happens, then. Really wish we knew more of what's happening in terms of reboot or continuation, so we could start making some guesses and predictions...

Also, I realised something the other day. I remember reading that originally, 2008 would've been a final year with the Inika/Mahri trying to save Mata Nui's life (obviously Matoro would've died then), and 2009-2011 would've been three years of the Nuva. It's also well-known that, after the 2009 we got, there were plans for 2010 to be within the Valley of the Maze and 2011 to be biomechanical dinosaurs on Bota Magna. I doubt we'd have gotten both of these ideas together, but if you combined them both, we'd have gotten Bara Magna in 2012, and we'd be on Bota Magna at the moment. Add on to that the possibility of the final battle being originally intended as an entire year (otherwise we'd get half a year of dinosaurs and then straight onto the final battle... unless they shoe-horned dinosaurs into the battle, we'd miss out on an Axalara/Scopio-sized dinosaur set in the summer), that would be 2015.

Of course, I can't see them necessarily going onto the Spherus Magna stuff if Mata Nui had awoken in 2011. We'd probably have gotten desert, forest and frozen (Bota Magna had the Ice region as well, didn't it? Just can't remember if it was more mountains or something like an ice cap) as environments for the Nuva to fight in, and 2011 could have been a Valley of the Maze-like environment with the method of awakening Mata Nui lying at its heart.
Old August 8th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #94
Guardian Legend
Power Ranger

Okay, so finally got around to taking some shots of my mostly finalized MOCs of the Toa Nuva's adaptive armor's base form. I'm still new to taking pictures of toys, so sorry for the bad pictures. I just wanted to share, as well as wait for Brickshelf to approve them. Anyway, if you guys like them, I can always take more shots. Enjoy.

Tahu Mata with Golden Armor
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...tahu_mata.jpeg

Gali Nuva
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...gali_nuva.jpeg

Kopaka Nuva
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...paka_nuva.jpeg

Pohatu Nuva
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...hatu_nuva.jpeg

Lewa Nuva
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...lewa_nuva.jpeg

Onua Nuva
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...onua_nuva.jpeg

Takanuva
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu.../takanuva.jpeg

Team shots
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...anuva_one.jpeg
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Gu...anuva_two.jpeg
Guardian Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #95
TealMystechRanger
One For All

Wow, Tahu is great! Awesome "resizing", in a sense, of the Stars set. The others are pretty cool too - I'd advise adding a Metru torso onto the abdomen of each, like what Mata Nui had, just to stop them looking so very thin near the waist. I see you used a socket piece, but it doesn't really add enough width. I especially love the way you've given Pohatu a stocky look, with the Hordika parts in the arms and the Vahki legs. I'd say that Onua feels a bit too short (maybe that's just him being at the back), and the actual hand pieces clash with the others using sockets, but even he works well on the whole. Very good, simple but awesome-looking MOCs. Oh, and I wasn't really paying attention to the quality of the shots, but the second group one at least is great quality.
Old August 8th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #96
Guardian Legend
Power Ranger

Yeah, I've since swapped out their hands for old school matoran universe ones. And you think metru chest armor for the waist like Mata Nui? I'll see what i can do. Also, Onua is the shortest because his first set was the shortest.
Old August 8th, 2014, 08:54 AM   #97
TealMystechRanger
One For All

Sounds good, and the Metru torso armour thing is a starting point. If it still doesn't work, maybe see what else fits? I know an early look at the Mata Nui set had one of those pieces like a Slizer/Throwbot foot, but the same thickness across the whole piece, instead of the Metru torso armour piece. Just see what works. Re: Onua being the shortest, the thing is he wasn't over a head shorter. Again, that may just be the angle, but making him a bit taller would probably off-set it. I think it's also because the Kanohi is quite large, so it makes his body look really small. Also maybe because it's coming straight up from his body, rather than being a little hunch-backed? All this is making me want to get my Nuva out...
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM   #98
Guardian Legend
Power Ranger

Haha, yeah, I don't have time to do it now, but I will probably look into trying to thicken their waist. It's just that the way I built their bodies, I had to set it up a certain way so as to be able to attach the Nuva Chest armor. Personally, I don't mind them having skinny waists, as their old 2002 sets also had thin waists. For these MOCs, as evidenced by their color schemes, I was trying to mix in their old apperance with their 2008 ones. Naturally keeping their weapons, nuva chest armor, eye color, and Kanohi so as to be able to recognize them as the Toa Nuva, and not just random Toa MOCs.
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #99
TealMystechRanger
One For All

To be fair, the original Nuva didn't have waists one stud thick. But yeah, I get what you mean. Ultimately, you should do what you want with them. My tips were more personal opinion than anything. And yeah, you did well with balancing the colour schemes. Hakann already proved that the two reds work well together, so you had a great head-start with Tahu, for one, haha.
Old August 8th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #100
Guardian Legend
Power Ranger

Yeah, he looks better with his orange armor instead of gold.