RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Administration > Announcements
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old August 31st, 2017, 12:45 PM   #1401
Sagiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decade View Post
1. So how do you log back in if the new password is wrong? Password recovery/reset?

2. Since you're copying from a password generator, paste it into Notepad first. See if it's pasting anything extra that you're not expecting. It commonly copies an extra blank space or two which could exist before or after the generated password.

3. Have you tried typing your own simpler password? Such as:
RangerBoard2017!
Ranger_Board2017

Try your own words with a combination of numbers and symbols.
1. Yes. Basically, I go through the password change, log out, attempt to log in. It tells me it's wrong, so I have to do the email password reset to get back in.

2. Even if it was adding something I wasn't expecting, I'm pasting the exact same value from my clipboard into the "change password" form and the login form.

3. Currently, I went back to a more "normal" password until I can figure it out. I'll experiment more and see if I can figure anything out.

Edit: It is being truncated. The field on the "change password" page is limited to 50 characters, and when you paste in a long password it gets truncated, but the form to type your password to log in isn't limited to 50 characters (even though there seems to be no actual way to use a password longer than 50 characters). So it doesn't match.

I was generating a 100 character password, which is why I was having problems. I cut it down to 50 and it works now.

Last edited by Sagiri; August 31st, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
Sagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1402
ϟDecade
FINAL KAMEN ATTACK FORM RIDE: OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagiri View Post
1. Yes. Basically, I go through the password change, log out, attempt to log in. It tells me it's wrong, so I have to do the email password reset to get back in.

2. Even if it was adding something I wasn't expecting, I'm pasting the exact same value from my clipboard into the "change password" form and the login form.

3. Currently, I went back to a more "normal" password until I can figure it out. I'll experiment more and see if I can figure anything out.
You mentioned as well you're generating a "long" password, how long are you generating?
It may be a character limit, or a specific symbol that conflicts with the database.

I use about 16 characters without issue.
Decade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 12:57 PM   #1403
ϟDecade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagiri View Post
Edit: It is being truncated. The field on the "change password" page is limited to 50 characters, and when you paste in a long password it gets truncated, but the form to type your password to log in isn't limited to 50 characters (even though there seems to be no actual way to use a password longer than 50 characters). So it doesn't match.

I was generating a 100 character password, which is why I was having problems. I cut it down to 50 and it works now.
I suspected this in my previous reply, the database type for the current version of vBulletin is old and has lower limits.

But someone having a password over 24 characters is also rare. Anyone with a password close to 50 is unexpected.

Heck, I even just thought your password was around 24-32 characters. But 100? Overkill.
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:09 PM   #1404
Sagiri

Quote:
I suspected this in my previous reply, the database type for the current version of vBulletin is old and has lower limits.

But someone having a password over 24 characters is also rare. Anyone with a password close to 50 is unexpected.

Heck, I even just thought your password was around 24-32 characters. But 100? Overkill.
I have my generator default to 100 characters because that's definitely going to be secure enough for literally anything I could ever want a password for; I never have to stop and think about what length the generated password should be (excepting max password lengths, of course).

If you don't have to type it yourself, there's literally no reason to not use a long password.

But, yeah, a 100 or even 50 character password is way more security than my account here needs.
Sagiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2017, 01:18 PM   #1405
ϟDecade

It's more security than anything needs.

It isn't just about creating a password that's difficult to brute force, you're also suppose to change passwords frequently in case of spyware, keyloggers, or any other data invasion that may involve password theft.

Just because you use a 50-100 characters Password, it does not make you any more secure than someone using a 20 length password that follows the complexity rules.
Old October 14th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #1406
cyberblue
Celestial Fury

Hello!

Hoping this is the right forum to ask, but what I thought was my legacy VIP-1 status originally granted by Ray seems to have been revoked - which is currently leaving me with an overages of hundreds of PM's, meaning I can't send/receive anything right now. Is there a reason my original VIP status lapsed? If it was an oversight, can it be reinstated? I have a lot of stored messages I'd rather not delete, and I was under the impression I'd have VIP until I deleted my account. Thanks much for your help!
cyberblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #1407
ϟDecade

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberblue View Post
Hello!

Hoping this is the right forum to ask, but what I thought was my legacy VIP-1 status originally granted by Ray seems to have been revoked - which is currently leaving me with an overages of hundreds of PM's, meaning I can't send/receive anything right now. Is there a reason my original VIP status lapsed? If it was an oversight, can it be reinstated? I have a lot of stored messages I'd rather not delete, and I was under the impression I'd have VIP until I deleted my account. Thanks much for your help!
All manually granted memberships were revoked, because they did not come with proper subscriptions.

VIP1 has been long discontinued. Members can subscribe to VIP2 here:
https://www.RangerBoard.com/payments.php

Anyone with actual VIP1 subscriptions can keep them. But if they were simply moved into the VIP1 group, which may have been the case for you, that was changed to correctly streamline VIP subscriptions matching the amount of users in VIP groups.
Old October 14th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #1408
cyberblue
Celestial Fury

Quote:
All manually granted memberships were revoked, because they did not come with proper subscriptions.

VIP1 has been long discontinued. Members can subscribe to VIP2 here:
https://www.RangerBoard.com/payments.php

Anyone with actual VIP1 subscriptions can keep them. But if they were simply moved into the VIP1 group, which may have been the case for you, that was changed to correctly streamline VIP subscriptions matching the amount of users in VIP groups.
Thanks! Was there any outreach or notification I missed to make changes to any subscriptions to avoid my status being lapsed? I had full access as of May 6th, 2017, so it was just a few months ago I had VIP1. I didn't see any messages warning of any deadlines or next steps to avoid my status being revoked, though I admit it's fully possible it was widely posted somewhere on the board and I could have missed it since I'm more of a casual user and tend to only look a handful of places when I do sign on. Would it be possible to have my original status honored and re-instated without having to pay for a VIP-2 membership?
cyberblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #1409
ϟDecade

No. In fact this investigation begun when we found out an ex-mod pocketed money for VIP memberships, without passing those funds to me, and putting people into VIP groups directly because the Mod did not have access to grant subscriptions properly.

I don't know the circumstance of how you obtained the VIP1 access. As I've said, it was streamlined so that there's visibility that only those that pay will get VIP membership. And there's no abuse of people just being dropped into the groups. It is checked on a regular basis now.

Unfortunately there's nothing for you to honor. Only subscriptions are honored. You never had an actual subscription.

If you value the messages, the VIP2 does offer a lot more. 5000 message limt over the 1000 from VIP1, plus many other benefits.

But again, that is that.