Home Menu

Menu

Old August 23rd, 2018, 08:52 PM #1401
> Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Cyrax9
VIP Rider

I'm writing this in a bit of a scramble, but I'm trying to make sense with it, I know I'm not around much these days, and I apologize for that. I do want to comment on my experience and a few other points raised by others though.

RitoRevolto wrote: View Post

Gotta say, it sure is bold of Scott to commit to another full-service PMC. But as I tried to remind myself, happy thoughts, happy thoughts.
I was kind of surprised by this, but PMC Express is supposed to be a smaller, multi-city series of gatherings so my hope is that this might go well and maybe having fewer people to deal with will help with the organizational issues in the future outside of the main event.

MarzGurl wrote: View Post

Guys, I'm so incredibly conflicted about this event. While the fandom needs events like this, it's been obvious that management and organization has had problems for years. This was my first PMC, though I went to Japan World Heroes last year, and for being a much smaller (yet similar) event run by the same staff, I'm just so baffled and frustrated at how an event that has grown so much and has very nearly had official backing and support from the very brands they're celebrating can do so much wrong.
*Sigh* Join the club my friend, it wouldn't be PMC if the organization wasn't an epic mess. PMC2 was my first and I was very understanding at the time as it was the first that Scott ran. PMC3 improved marginally but could have been far better, although my perception might be colored as I was Press at that one and between a Press Pass and a Gold Ranger pass, I pretty much was covered for whatever I needed and/or wanted to attend. PMC3 was probably the best the convention had been organizationally though, but that's not saying much. PMC4 was good after an initial stumble where no one had a schedule, and when I finally got one, I remember bringing it to cast and crew so they could figure out where to go. To the staff's credit, they fixed this quickly, and Chris Funaro personally apologized noting that there was nothing he could do unlike past conventions, as Saban, PMC, and BanDai had to collectively sign off on everything at the time and getting all three to do so was apparently a bit of an exercise in herding cats. I was on the bus trip for PMC5, we didn't have the disaster this year's trip had, but I remember having to perpetually check the merchandise booth for a missing shirt, and my girlfriend's bag was all in the wrong size initially. (I kept her hoodie that was doubled in my size, if you saw me at the airport, I had it on when I landed, so it worked out well for me, just not many other people.) PMC6 had the worst organization of any PMC that I've attended to date, (keeping in mind I only missed PMC1,) and I'm honestly quite irritated by it. I'll definitely be back in 2020, but I was disappointed that issues from the last con not only weren't resolved, but that they managed to get worse. What happened to early access to the vendor's room for Platinum/Gold on Friday? That was on the site, then not on the badges, and I had so much conflicting information about it that it was mind-boggling. What happened to priority/reserved seating for Platinum/Gold? It was on the list of stuff I paid for when I sunk nearly $1200 on Platinum passes and swag, but nowhere to be seen when it was needed. Just once I'd like to see the cast reveal without having a wall of heads in front of me. (The closest I came was during the very first one as I was filming it, and even then I lost the shot when everyone rushed the stage and I didn't want to risk damaging my camera and being unable to continue filming as a result. Lisa J saved my rear by having the courage to rush the stage with a camera, and I'm still grateful to her for that.) Don't even get me started on the mess with the swag bags; I was literally the second person with a Platinum pass to get mine, (my girlfriend was the first,) but the fact that they weren't together in a way the staff could just grab them and hand them to guests shows a severe lack of organization. I'm hoping some of this was the result of the move to Anaheim, but I know some is just how this con is run. A little signage would have gone a long way too, as would rope to help people line up where they need too. I don't want to sound like I hated the convention, that's about as far from the truth as you can get, but I am frustrated that six cons in, we're still having the same organizational issues we had the first time through. As for the term "official," I think it was actually used in reference to PMC at the con this year, which has me wondering, has Hasbro now made PMC an "official" event for the brand? I know it was an unofficial event with lots of backing from official sources before, but if it's official now, that's something new. (And my congratulations to the staff if it is.)

trueranger wrote: View Post

Oh well I've never gone to a power morphicon but I personally believe they should've stayed at Pasadena simply because they established everything there. I can't say anything about the other issues but I would've expected this con to be more special since there was the prom and other stuff.
Since you weren't there you wouldn't understand why they moved: they literally ran out of space in Pasadena. The con keeps getting bigger and there was nowhere else to expand too, the Westin was further from the Civic Auditorium than the Sheraton, and the convention is ADA compliant, squeezing more out of the space they had would have meant losing ADA compliance for accessibility, and a decent number of attendees have various disabilities that require items like wheelchairs and walkers, that compliance is important for a decent chunk of attendees.

SirStack wrote: View Post

I can't speak for the PMCs since, but I was part of the management for PMC2. I was never under a contract, so that means no NDA, so I can be honest about that one.

No guest at PMC2 got paid to attend... except for JDF. He got something like $5000 to appear (plus there was some additional deal involving his action figure). I remember people were gushing about how he didn't charge for autographs at that one, like he was Mother Teresa doing it all just for the fans. Johnny Yong Bosch got wind of the amount he got for PMC and demanded the same price. Scott couldn't afford to pay for both, so unless something's changed since then (which is entirely likely), that's why neither appears together at PMC.

(Most guests then just wanted parking validated, or in Michael Sorich's case, a Subway sandwich. Making sure both of those things got to the guests never went smoothly, but as far as I knew, they were taken care of in the end.)
Wow, I remember seeing you there but can't remember if I met you face to face. (I know you guys were swamped.) I wasn't in the panel for the infamous "baby skulls" incident, and I'm sorry that it occurred right when all you wanted to do was pay for your hotel room. I don't fault you for that one, the staff may be staff, but you guys are still human. I will say that far fewer people charged at PMC2, and that many just wanted a donation to a charity, (I tended to try and throw more their way if that's what they asked for than I would for just a paid autograph for myself,) and it seemed like it was a bit more personal back then with attendees being as surprised as guests at the turnout. I know by PMC4 that Bandai, Saban, and PMC all supposedly had to sign off on everything because of Bandai and Saban sponsoring the events, and that lead to issues with a finalized schedule being ready on time. This year any logo except for their own was curiously absent from any PMC-related material, including Hasbro's, which makes me wonder if part of the organizational mess was planning for and subsequently losing those sponsorships as a result of the Hasbro acquisition.

hasbro_primo wrote: View Post

That's a shame, the first Morphicon made sure schedules came in the gift bags upon registration.

Though, I doubt programs would have done much good this year, when I hear a bunch of panels were time-shifted or canceled altogether...
Other PMCs included schedules in the bags too, even PMC4 handed them out as soon as they were ready, while PMC5 had an app as well. PMC6 had nothing, no paper schedule, no app, just the website if your phone was able to access it and signs by the panel room doors, which weren't that helpful if the line kept you from getting close enough to read them. I'm hoping this will be fixed in the future though.

PopCultureLover06 wrote: View Post

Speaking of someone who doesn't do conventions, Roger Velasco and Selwyn Ward did admit that Patricia Ja Lee, had a negative encounter with fans at Anime Expo 2009, or just dealt with a stalker and apparently that has made her reluctant to return to the convention scene, since she hasn't made any appearance like that since. So now we know, even though they both have tried to persuade her to return.
I hadn't heard about this before, but it explains why Patricia doesn't want to do the con, and I don't blame her in the slightest. I do understand why people are surprised though, as there was a time when she was one of the most accessible cast members out there way back in the early 2000's, so I could see why her absence may have confused some. Again, I understand where she's coming from though, and probably would be reluctant to return myself if I were in her shoes.

Okay, as for my own experiences:

The Good: I took a decent photo of Ciara and Azim in the Megaforce panel. I quickly showed it to Ciara on Friday night, not expecting to stop by her booth for more than a few seconds to thank her for an awesome panel, and she absolutely loved it. Around 1:00AM after I'd showered while my girlfriend slept, I grabbed her laptop and touched it up a bit to print as an 8X10, and had my girlfriend run off a few copies in the morning. (One for me to leave untouched, one for me to have signed, one for Ciara, and one for Azim.) I took Ciara's to her and paid her to autograph mine, she melted when I gave her a copy of the photo and gave me a massive hug. (She's really quite sweet, and her cast is awesome. Even if your not font of PRM/PRSM, I highly suggest you give their panel a chance, if production hadn't been botched you might have held these guys in the same regard as the PRTF/PRiS casts.) Later in the day I went to Azim and gave him a copy of the photo and get mine autographed as well. His handler loved the photo so much that she asked me if she could hang it in his booth, which I obviously said "yes" too. I was truly flattered, and I'll put this out their publicly: if Azim, Ciara, or their handlers want to hang that photo in their booths again at any other conventions, they're more than welcome to do so whenever they want; I'm just happy that they liked it so much and that someone wanted to hang it up in the first place.

I brought a few photos for people from previous PMCs too. Two went to old friends, and one went to Erin Cahill that I meant to print before the last PMC. As far as photos I've taken go, it's one of my favorites too, so seeing how much she loved it made my day.

It was great to see favorite panels again, (e.g. Time Force,) and some I hadn't been to before, (e.g. Megaforce,) and to see old friends and make some new ones. I got a copy of a photo I was in that I knew existed, but had never actually seen before from an earlier PMC, had breakfast with some old friends, and had an all-out blast. You guys are all awesome, and you make me look forward to returning to PMC every two years.

The Bad: The organization. I've complained to death about it so I'll keep this short, but I really hope this is fixed in the future. I felt like we went backwards this time, which is more frustrating than simply not fixing mistakes from last time. Scott acknowledged this in the closing ceremony though, so it's not like he's oblivious to it, I just hope that knowledge can be used to correct the issue in the future.

The Awkward: Me. I don't want to go into details, but I had one embarrassing/klutzy moment that took about ten minutes for me to realize what had happened because my brain was fried by the point this occurred. Just know that I wound up beating myself up about it when I got back to the hotel room and felt like a total jerk.
Cyrax9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:28 PM #1402
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

I know I'm not around much these days, and I apologize for that.
Hey, man. Welcome back.
AkaPrimoWhiteDragon is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:42 PM #1403
> manson26
Flung Out of Space

manson26
Flung Out of Space

This was my 3rd PMC, first time vendor. I was selling my watercolors/digital prints under the name Black Regent Art. I'm not sure how I feel being a vendor, I feel like I missed out on so much! Definitely was hard juggling my table and attempting to claim all of my exclusives. I feel like the registration process is always jacked up. Not sure if I will be a vendor again.
manson26 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2018, 05:17 PM #1404
> ⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay

QueenBee9 wrote: View Post

One of my life goals is to go to Power Morphicon and act like the actors are really the characters they play ... per example:
However funny that sounds in your head, it isn't.
Don't be that guy/girl.
TuxedoK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 04:35 AM #1405
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

More panels.

The Order

Super Sentai Legends

Operation Magic Pizza

GoldAnyRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 09:22 AM #1406
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

Here is the Turbo panel.

ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 10:27 AM #1407
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

Villains Panel

Voice Actors Panel

Trivia Contest B

Fan Films and Webseries Panel

The Fan Film Contest

:Lightspeed Rescue Panel.

Old August 25th, 2018, 02:05 PM #1408
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

GoldAnyRanger wrote: View Post

More panels.

Chillin with Voice Actors

I'm surprised that Michael Sorich always calls one of his most well-known monsters, the Terror Toad, by a slightly different name "the Terrible Toad". I also thought that he voiced Hefty Smurf in Smurfs and the Magic Flute instead of Papa Smurf. The voice of Papa Smurf is in that film is credited to Mike Reynolds.

https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com...ic-Flute/cast/
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 03:34 PM #1409
> TheTerrorToad87
Mmm...Power Rangers....

eBay
TheTerrorToad87
Mmm...Power Rangers....

eBay

THE TERRIBLE TOAD????
TheTerrorToad87 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 03:36 PM #1410
> MarineDynamite
Power Ranger

MarineDynamite
Power Ranger

What's taking them so long to upload the Time Force panel?
MarineDynamite is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 04:06 PM #1411
> ⚡TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay
TuxedoK
Old School Mod Justice.

1 eBay

TuxedoK is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old August 25th, 2018, 04:07 PM #1412
> Char350
DAT GAI

Char350
DAT GAI

MarineDynamite wrote: View Post

I dunno, maybe not everyone on their staff works for PMC as their day job?
Char350 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 04:08 PM #1413
> GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay

MarineDynamite wrote: View Post

Here it is.

And the RPM panel.

Old August 25th, 2018, 05:40 PM #1414
> PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

PopCultureLover06
Power Ranger

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

snip.
of course Patricia is entitled to refuse to rejoin the fandom or refuse conventions, she reserves that right, but another hope for inspiration, I already used Amy Jo as an example, I still remember how Tracy Lynn Cruz dealt with someone asking her a rude question during a panel at PMC 2010, she stopped going for a few years until returning in 2016, but ya, the people out there that ruin it and make guests stop attending conventions because of incidents like that don't deserve to be called fans.

Last edited by TuxedoK; August 25th, 2018 at 07:12 PM.
PopCultureLover06 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2018, 05:50 PM #1415
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

^Please do not quote large posts to address a single point, it makes scrolling much more difficult.
Old August 26th, 2018, 12:50 PM #1416
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger

Learned some interesting things while watching the videos...first of which, that Emma's actress in Megaforce, actually didn't sing the famous (infamous?) song in "Harmony and Dizchord".
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2018, 01:12 PM #1417
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

zjranger wrote: View Post

Learned some interesting things while watching the videos...first of which, that Emma's actress in Megaforce, actually didn't sing the famous (infamous?) song in "Harmony and Dizchord".
Besides Amy Jo, Walter, Nakia, Alycia Purrott, Ann Marie Crouch, obviously Emma Lahana and unfortunately Adam Tuominen, I'm pretty sure no musical performances in Power Rangers were recorded by the actor.

Christina Masterson's was kind of obvious.
Old August 26th, 2018, 01:44 PM #1418
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Besides Amy Jo, Walter, Nakia, Alycia Purrott, Ann Marie Crouch, obviously Emma Lahana and unfortunately Adam Tuominen, I'm pretty sure no musical performances in Power Rangers were recorded by the actor.

If you're referring to that "Me" song, Alycia Purrott didn't actually sing that.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2018, 02:02 PM #1419
> AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

AkaPrimoWhiteDragon
Ride of the Valkyrie

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

If you're referring to that "Me" song, Alycia Purrott didn't actually sing that.
Maybe I confused that Matt Austin saying he wrote it...
Old August 26th, 2018, 02:44 PM #1420
> zjranger

zjranger

I mean, it was obvious that is was kind of has a recorded sound about it, but I didn't know that Christina didn't actually sing it, even if it could've been autotuned.
zjranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
bring deodorant, morphicon 6, wear deodorant