Home Menu

Menu

Old October 28th, 2018, 04:45 PM #1
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

Mighty Morphin’ S1-S3 Germany Steelbook (SD on Blu-Ray)

I haven't seen this mentioned here on RangerBoard, so I figured I'd create a thread for it.
MMPR Seasons 1-3 are getting (re-)released in Germany on December 7th, 2018, this time in "SD on Blu-ray". Basically, SD encodes on a Blu-Ray disc which allow for a (hopefully?) better quality and less disc-switching than DVDs.

An "insider" mentioned on Blu-Ray.com that this is from the same company that released the previous DVD/Blu-Ray sets in Germany and that they were not using the same masters from the previous DVDs. I'm assuming they will use the Saban Brands international masters... Or maybe new masters with the Hasbro logo at the end, if those even exist already? Said "insider" said they might be encoded in PAL and with German text-inserts, though.

This could be best the show will ever look in SD IF they use a good bitrates and good encoders, which they are not really known for IMO. At least the episodes are spread across 6 discs, which does seem hopeful.

However, owning both the first German DVD releases and the Shout Factory MMPR Megaset, I fail to see the value in this for me. Feels like yet another release of MMPR with no chance of releasing more seasons in the future in this format. If it were Zeo-LG, I probably would get it, since those are the ones no company was able to get right on home video so far.

But I'm curious to you guys' opinions and/or reviews if someone here ends up buying it.

Amazon.de Pre-order Link

Bluray-disc.de (w/ preliminary art)

Last edited by powerfanatic; October 30th, 2018 at 12:53 AM.
powerfanatic is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 06:13 PM #2
> monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

monkeyjb1988
Power Ranger

It sounds interesting. I'd much rather REAL HD and I already have Shout's set (with the 1995 movie on Blu-Ray), but it'd be interesting to read a review for it. I don't think SD on Blu-Ray will look a lot better; I think it would need an upscale to get ANY improvement... or rescan the film, but I'm not hopeful for that.
monkeyjb1988 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 06:34 PM #3
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

monkeyjb1988 wrote: View Post

It sounds interesting. I'd much rather REAL HD and I already have Shout's set (with the 1995 movie on Blu-Ray), but it'd be interesting to read a review for it. I don't think SD on Blu-Ray will look a lot better; I think it would need an upscale to get ANY improvement... or rescan the film, but I'm not hopeful for that.
No HD is really possible for MMPR unless you spend millions on it. And SD on Blu-ray should work better when properly done. Shout! sets are really compressed, season 1 being the worst. And I believe the Zeo set had mono audio when it should've been stereo.

Last edited by Dexter1998; October 28th, 2018 at 06:44 PM.
Dexter1998 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2018, 06:36 PM #4
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

And I believe the Zeo set had mono audio when it shoudl've been stereo.
Zeo, Turbo, In Space, Lost Galaxy and at least one episode in Time Force.
Old October 29th, 2018, 12:42 AM #5
> Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

No HD is really possible for MMPR unless you spend millions on it. And SD on Blu-ray should work better when properly done. Shout! sets are really compressed, season 1 being the worst. And I believe the Zeo set had mono audio when it should've been stereo.
That's not really true. Pseudo-HD (upscaling) as discussed before will show some improvement, and would cost far less than "millions." Of course, this assumes that it's done correctly, using hardware scaling, and if it was, I'd expect something that was closer to "tens of thousands" for a simple scaling procedure. Now if we're talking about real HD then yeah, that's going to be quite a bit more, but I still don't think it'd be quite as expensive as most people here think it might be. The average episode of MMPR, without "Today On/Last Time On/Next TIme On" segments, is about 18-20 minutes, with most running closer to 18 minutes. The opening credits are a minute, and the ending credits are about half a minute, which means that on average, there's probably 16.5 to 18.5 minutes worth of "new" material in most episodes. Including MMAR, the entirety of MMPR is 155 episodes if memory serves me correctly. Let's be generous and assume 18.5 minutes per episode excluding credits, that puts us at 2,867.5 minutes, or just shy of 48 hours worth of material. (For reference, Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 was about 19.5 hours worth of material.) We're not talking about something nearly as expensive as TNG-R was either, we're talking about something comparable in length to maybe the first two seasons of Star Trek TNG and the first two episodes of the third season thrown in for good measure. The expensive part of TNG-R was duplicating the effects work, including some early digital effects. MMPR's FX work was almost (if not entirely) practical effects, which reduces what would require new effects work to almost nothing. More importantly, Toei did their FX work at the film level well into the latter part of the 90s, a practice that was far more expensive in America by that time, which lead to FX work being done at the video level instead. This means that the Japanese effects likely wouldn't need to be recreated at all, simply rescanned on the film itself. That also cuts the budget fairly drastically. Make no mistake, this would still be an expensive process, but one that's a lot more doable than most people probably realize, and one that's increasingly justifiable given how iconic the show has become. I'm not holding my breath, but I actually think it's feasible, and something Hasbro should at least look into for the 35th anniversary in 2023. The cost of remastering film has decreased considerably in recent years, and scaling has improved pretty drastically as well for any place there might be gaps in the original material.

SD on Blu-Ray has a difference that's negligible at best compared to DVD. The MPEG-4/AVC codec really needs HD material to show a marked improvement over the MPEG-2 material that would be on a DVD. Shout! didn't really use compression that was more excessive than anyone else's, they cropped some matting that created a bunch of issues as a result of trying to fill the screen instead of leaving some unnoticeable black bars alone, which created some noticeable quality issues. This set may look slightly better than what Shout! Factory did, or it might look no better or worse when watched in a real-world environment. (Meaning not isolating single frames where you see far more than you would when 24-30 of them are thrown at you at once.)

What I find interesting about this new German set is the use of new masters. I wonder if these are something that's brand new, (e.g. spliced together with remastered Zyuranger footage,) or if these are the Saban Brands international masters that MarVista was initially responsible for? Likewise, are PAL masters on Blu-Ray even possible for SD material? (I thought the Blu-Ray standard didn't allow for 25fps material. Was this changed?) I'd fully expect German text in some capacity on German releases, (even if there was an English text option as well,) so that's no surprise to me, but trying to cram 25fps masters onto Blu-Ray definitely seems a bit odd. One of the great things about HDTVs is that they're supposed to all be able to handle older standards from various regions around the world, regardless of where you are, meaning that even in a PAL country like Germany, NTSC material should play normally off of a Blu-Ray disc, while PAL material should play just fine in the US without tormenting everyone involved with standards conversions.

powerfanatic wrote: View Post

Zeo, Turbo, In Space, Lost Galaxy and at least one episode in Time Force.
I really wish they'd fix the S4-7 set on future pressings, even if it meant that I had to double-dip. (Technically triple-dip since I double-dipped with the Legacy Set.) At the very least I'd like them to fix PRTF in future pressings, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd think this would be easy: If it's really just the settings being wrong when the DVD authoring masters were created, it should be as simple as opening Sonic Scenarist back up, (which I'd think is what Shout! would have used,) changing the way the audio is interpreted, and reauthoring the masters that get sent out for replication. It should be an easy fix, and one that likely wouldn't even cost as much as commissioning someone to design an updated cover as was done for MMPR.
Cyrax9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old October 29th, 2018, 01:38 AM #6
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

I personally think that Pseudo-HD (upscaling) would not show much improvement at all. Film scanning would, of course. But who knows if the american-shot film was even kept at all, when "they" supposedly didn't even manage to keep Pre-9/11 Time Force masters around.... And then there's the Sentai film as well. The whole project would have to be sourced from so many places that I don't think we'll ever see that happen.

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

SD on Blu-Ray has a difference that's negligible at best compared to DVD. The MPEG-4/AVC codec really needs HD material to show a marked improvement over the MPEG-2 material that would be on a DVD. Shout! didn't really use compression that was more excessive than anyone else's, they cropped some matting that created a bunch of issues as a result of trying to fill the screen instead of leaving some unnoticeable black bars alone, which created some noticeable quality issues. This set may look slightly better than what Shout! Factory did, or it might look no better or worse when watched in a real-world environment. (Meaning not isolating single frames where you see far more than you would when 24-30 of them are thrown at you at once.)
IF(!) they are using AVC, which hopefully they are. But we're talking about the same company that released Samurai and Super-Samurai in 1080p MPEG-2. They looked fine, but seemed like an odd choice at the time.
Assuming that each episode is around 20 mins and that each disc has no more than 30 episodes, we could be looking at encodes that go higher than 8Mbps of bitrate, which is more than what we've been given so far.
But I'd also say the difference will be pretty negligible. And if they end up using 25fps masters, then the whole frame-blending issue is introduced as well.
They could in theory also offer lossless audio, but seems like we're just getting regular Dolby Digital.

What I find interesting about this new German set is the use of new masters. I wonder if these are something that's brand new, (e.g. spliced together with remastered Zyuranger footage,) or if these are the Saban Brands international masters that MarVista was initially responsible for? Likewise, are PAL masters on Blu-Ray even possible for SD material? (I thought the Blu-Ray standard didn't allow for 25fps material. Was this changed?) I'd fully expect German text in some capacity on German releases, (even if there was an English text option as well,) so that's no surprise to me, but trying to cram 25fps masters onto Blu-Ray definitely seems a bit odd. One of the great things about HDTVs is that they're supposed to all be able to handle older standards from various regions around the world, regardless of where you are, meaning that even in a PAL country like Germany, NTSC material should play normally off of a Blu-Ray disc, while PAL material should play just fine in the US without tormenting everyone involved with standards conversions.
Wouldn't count on them being brand new with spliced Sentai footage. The masters they used before were the ones from 1993, so anything else can be advertised as "new" to them. Either they are using the Saban Brands / MarVista ones or there may be "new" masters already with just the Hasbro logo at the end.

SD content on Blu-Ray can be authored either with 720x576i 25fps or 720x480 29.97fps, it's been possible since the beginning. And it's not odd at all, Germany has seen quite a few "SD on Blu-Ray" releases lately, mostly of shows that don't have HD masters available.

I'd think this would be easy: If it's really just the settings being wrong when the DVD authoring masters were created, it should be as simple as opening Sonic Scenarist back up, (which I'd think is what Shout! would have used,) changing the way the audio is interpreted, and reauthoring the masters that get sent out for replication. It should be an easy fix, and one that likely wouldn't even cost as much as commissioning someone to design an updated cover as was done for MMPR.
It's not as easy as flipping a switch. They would have to encode the audio for every episode again, re-import those Dolby Digital AC3 files in Scenarist and export new masters for replication. It's not impossible, though, and certainly not a difficult task. I'm still unsure who's at fault here. If it was Shout who provided the authoring house with the incorrect masters or if it's the authoring house for not properly encoding the audio... if the latter then they should eat up the costs, not Shout!

Not only that but a few episodes of Alien Ranger, Turbo and all of Zeo (I think) also have a ghosting effect that wasn't there in the original Saban Entertainment masters.

Last edited by powerfanatic; October 29th, 2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 03:42 AM #7
> MarioRanger
Power Ranger

MarioRanger
Power Ranger

I'am the guy who worked on this SD on Blu-ray set. We used the german masters, like the previous releases of the german MMPR - but we digitized the original source masters for this release completly new.

So we got a better quality and the material on this blu-rays discs are uncompressed.

Its the best we could do for. The masters from Shout! Factory are not really better than the german ones and Hasbro didnt have any other new masters.
MarioRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old October 29th, 2018, 03:44 AM #8
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

MarioRanger wrote: View Post

I'am the guy who worked on this SD on Blu-ray set. We used the german masters, like the previous releases of the german MMPR - but we digitized the original source masters for this release completly new.

So we got a better quality and the material on this blu-rays discs are uncompressed.

Its the best we could do for. The masters from Shout! Factory are not really better than the german ones and Hasbro didnt have any other new masters.
If it's the German Masters, does that mean we're still stuck with PAL speedup?
HowlingSnail is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 03:58 AM #9
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail wrote: View Post

If it's the German Masters, does that mean we're still stuck with PAL speedup?
I believe the MMPR PAL masters do not have PAL speedup, since they were converted from 60fps->50fps and not from 24fps->25fps.
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:04 AM #10
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

powerfanatic wrote: View Post

I believe the MMPR PAL masters do not have PAL speedup, since they were converted from 60fps->50fps and not from 24fps->25fps.
If that's true then would I just be better off getting the Manga DVDs that are coming out, given they'll have the English episode titles on? Because while I do speak German, I'd rather watch Day of the Dumpster than "Die Rückkehr der Hexe".
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:15 AM #11
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

MarioRanger wrote: View Post

Hey MarioRanger, cool that you're around, I remember you from the DVD days! I'd like to clarify that there's no such thing as "uncompressed" video quality on Blu-Ray, so let's not confuse people

A few questions for you, in case you are able to answer:
- In the MMPR S1 set, a few English episodes are "Disney" cuts. Is is the same on this set or are all english episodes uncut now?
- Are there menus in English as well?
- Are some of the bonus content in HD?
- Are you able to share some cover art / package shots? And maybe screenshots from the Blu-Ray menus?
- Do you know / are you at liberty to say if Just Bridge is thinking of releasing other seasons (Zeo, Turbo, etc) in "SD on Blu-Ray" format?

HowlingSnail wrote: View Post

If that's true then would I just be better off getting the Manga DVDs that are coming out, given they'll have the English episode titles on? Because while I do speak German, I'd rather watch Day of the Dumpster than "Die Rückkehr der Hexe".
I wouldn't know, I haven't seen the Manga DVDs, so I can't comment on their quality. They don't seem to have any bonus though, so if it's important to you, than this set might be something to consider. Or Shout Factory's, if you're able to import and play Region 1 / NTSC DVDs.

Last edited by powerfanatic; October 29th, 2018 at 04:15 AM.
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:27 AM #12
> HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

Menus in English isn't really too much of an issue, even if you don't speak German they're not hard to decipher.

Honestly before older series on Blu-Ray, I'm kind of hoping this means Dino Charge is now more of a possibility.
Old October 29th, 2018, 04:38 AM #13
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

Now THAT would be nice!
Old October 29th, 2018, 07:21 AM #14
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

That's not really true. Pseudo-HD (upscaling) as discussed before will show some improvement, and would cost far less than "millions." Of course, this assumes that it's done correctly, using hardware scaling, and if it was, I'd expect something that was closer to "tens of thousands" for a simple scaling procedure. Now if we're talking about real HD then yeah, that's going to be quite a bit more, but I still don't think it'd be quite as expensive as most people here think it might be. The average episode of MMPR, without "Today On/Last Time On/Next TIme On" segments, is about 18-20 minutes, with most running closer to 18 minutes. The opening credits are a minute, and the ending credits are about half a minute, which means that on average, there's probably 16.5 to 18.5 minutes worth of "new" material in most episodes. Including MMAR, the entirety of MMPR is 155 episodes if memory serves me correctly. Let's be generous and assume 18.5 minutes per episode excluding credits, that puts us at 2,867.5 minutes, or just shy of 48 hours worth of material. (For reference, Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 was about 19.5 hours worth of material.) We're not talking about something nearly as expensive as TNG-R was either, we're talking about something comparable in length to maybe the first two seasons of Star Trek TNG and the first two episodes of the third season thrown in for good measure. The expensive part of TNG-R was duplicating the effects work, including some early digital effects. MMPR's FX work was almost (if not entirely) practical effects, which reduces what would require new effects work to almost nothing. More importantly, Toei did their FX work at the film level well into the latter part of the 90s, a practice that was far more expensive in America by that time, which lead to FX work being done at the video level instead. This means that the Japanese effects likely wouldn't need to be recreated at all, simply rescanned on the film itself. That also cuts the budget fairly drastically. Make no mistake, this would still be an expensive process, but one that's a lot more doable than most people probably realize, and one that's increasingly justifiable given how iconic the show has become. I'm not holding my breath, but I actually think it's feasible, and something Hasbro should at least look into for the 35th anniversary in 2023. The cost of remastering film has decreased considerably in recent years, and scaling has improved pretty drastically as well for any place there might be gaps in the original material.

I really wish they'd fix the S4-7 set on future pressings, even if it meant that I had to double-dip. (Technically triple-dip since I double-dipped with the Legacy Set.) At the very least I'd like them to fix PRTF in future pressings, but I'm not holding my breath. I'd think this would be easy: If it's really just the settings being wrong when the DVD authoring masters were created, it should be as simple as opening Sonic Scenarist back up, (which I'd think is what Shout! would have used,) changing the way the audio is interpreted, and reauthoring the masters that get sent out for replication. It should be an easy fix, and one that likely wouldn't even cost as much as commissioning someone to design an updated cover as was done for MMPR.

but you can't improve any mmpr eps for HD. there are no film masters, only what was found on tapes. which as we all know degrades over time. so any work they would do, i honestly dont think would make any difference. i would of liked power rangers sd content on bluray. not because of better bitrates, but less space to occupy shelves. besides, bluray discs just last longer then dvds.
megagao is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 07:31 AM #15
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

That is indeed one of the advantages. The legacy set could have been 16-17 BDs instead of 98 DVDs.
Old October 29th, 2018, 07:35 AM #16
> HurricaneGold
Austria's Only PR Fan

HurricaneGold
Austria's Only PR Fan

I talked with Justbridge some months ago, and they told me, that they were trying to improve the quality of MMPR and Lightspeed Rescue (LR either didn't work or they just didn't want to do it anymore), but I didn't know, that they wanted to put it on Blu-Ray. This is amazing!
HurricaneGold is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 08:04 AM #17
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

I hope something like this comes to the US.

I was bitterly disappointed by the Shout Legacy Collection especially with the ghosting that was on MMAR - Turbo S1. And while the quality of the other seasons was perfectly acceptable, it wasn't as good as the Disney Best of PR DVD.

Although after shelling out for the Legacy Collection, I probably wouldn't want to see a Blu-Ray release for a couple more years!
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 10:05 AM #18
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

If anyone's seen Dekaranger on Bluray, you'll know that SD content on BD looks better. SD content on DVD suffers from compression to fit (especially when jamming double-digit episodes on a disc). While this stuff will never be 4k, it will look better than DVD.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2018, 01:38 PM #19
> megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay
megagao
VIP Rider

8 eBay

HurrricaneGold wrote: View Post

I talked with Justbridge some months ago, and they told me, that they were trying to improve the quality of MMPR and Lightspeed Rescue (LR either didn't work or they just didn't want to do it anymore), but I didn't know, that they wanted to put it on Blu-Ray. This is amazing!
dont misunderstand. it is not going to be HD eps. just regular 480p quality on BD just to save up on space. the episodes will not look any better.

Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

If anyone's seen Dekaranger on Bluray, you'll know that SD content on BD looks better. SD content on DVD suffers from compression to fit (especially when jamming double-digit episodes on a disc). While this stuff will never be 4k, it will look better than DVD.
true, but mmpr will not unfortunately.
megagao is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2018, 12:19 AM #20
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

In the UK, we got a couple episodes of MMPR, PRZ and PRT released on promo DVDs. They do look better than the Shout DVDs because they weren't as compressed.

Likewise, Saban Brands released a promo DVD that had a single episode of Day of the Dumpster. It too looked better than the Shout DVD version because it again wasn't compressed.

So yes, SD PR on Blu-Ray will look better. When Saban Brands got the franchise, they created new masters which had the Saban Brands logo at the end. In doing so, they added a some noise (and ghosting to certain episodes). If Shout (or whoever) went back to the masters which Saban Brands created their new masters from and encoded them properly, they could remove all the defects from the Saban Brands masters.

Of course, looking better is a subjective term. It's not going to look radically different. And for most people, the difference wouldn't be enough to justify rebuying. But if you put the two next to each other, you probably would notice a difference.
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote