VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

It passed because we still bought it.
And we bought it again.
Some bought it again.
Some more bought it again.
And here we are, talking about buying the same show again, with the same issues.

Who cares that half of Beetleborgs is ghosted? Who cares that Dairanger is ghosted? Who cares that 4 seasons are MONO? Who cares about MMPR's overscan being cropped? LOL #nitpicking #firstworldproblems #getalife
There's a balance. Being nit-picky is not a good attitude for life, as life is not perfect. Expecting perfection in life only leads to misery.

But at the same time, nearly all of these issues could have been avoided if the companies had taken care. And we are paying good money for this stuff.

It's true we keep on buying it but that's because there isn't an alternative. People drive cars not because they love pollution, but because there isn't a viable alternative at the moment.

I was very excited to shell out my hard earned cash for the Legacy collection, so to see that MMAR to TurboS1 was riddled with ghosting issues to the extent that it made the characters look like they had double heads. I mean, yeah, it's a first world problem. And I am certainly not going to be miserable over it. But, I don't think it's wrong to expect a company to provide a good service for the money they charge.

I didn't have an issue with things like mono and over-cropping (In fact, I can't even spot it no matter how hard I try), but I am happy that they are people who are raising these things so companies can do better.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 07:00 AM #362
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Glad this got bumped, I missed the news. (I just ordered the Shout steelbooks, but I'm a sucker!)
You can always send the set back when it gets to you, now that you know the quality sucks.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 09:24 AM #363
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

Rather than make this point 20 lines deep, I'll say it up top:

Fans were more concerned with thanking Brian Ward, than they were concerned with constructive feedback. Fans actively criticized those giving feedback as 'nitpicky'.

We finally got box sets, why complain?
We finally got BB and VR and Sentai, why complain?
Why don't I like nice people who give me nice things? Why am I complaining?

If people are allowed to - and supposed to - show love & support for these why is it unreasonable to be upset? Do we box away bad feelings?

big smile wrote: View Post

There's a balance. Being nit-picky is not a good attitude for life, as life is not perfect. Expecting perfection in life only leads to misery.
I torture myself with perfectionism. I don't put that expectation on others. I appreciate that critique comes across as nicpicking, and all nitpicking comes across as dissatisfaction.

It's impossible for me to say "I love having Beetleborgs DVDs" without also saying "these transfers are trash".

But at the same time, nearly all of these issues could have been avoided if the companies had taken care. And we are paying good money for this stuff.
The overscan crop, the ghosting, and the mono were not issues that had to be 'carefully' avoided. They were each blunders, and any one of them would have gotten me fired if I wasn't hiding behind a well-loved publisher.

It's true we keep on buying it but that's because there isn't an alternative. People drive cars not because they love pollution, but because there isn't a viable alternative at the moment.
Guilty. Except I take transit. But still guilty.

I was very excited to shell out my hard earned cash for the Legacy collection, so to see that MMAR to TurboS1 was riddled with ghosting issues to the extent that it made the characters look like they had double heads. I mean, yeah, it's a first world problem. And I am certainly not going to be miserable over it. But, I don't think it's wrong to expect a company to provide a good service for the money they charge.
"First world problem" is a fallacy. You made a first-world purchase.

Don't want no Captain Crunch, don't want no Raisin Bran
Well, don't you know that other kids are starving in Japan?

I didn't have an issue with things like mono and over-cropping (In fact, I can't even spot it no matter how hard I try), but I am happy that they are people who are raising these things so companies can do better.
Have you listened the show with headphones?

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

You can always send the set back when it gets to you, now that you know the quality sucks.
I bought it for the BD, knowing what the rest of the discs were.

I also bought it from a third party. Shout only ships this set to US addresses.
Zeo Cereal is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 6th, 2019, 09:35 AM #364
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

What was really annoying about the ghosting is that Lisa J pointed it out to Brian (in a NPS interview) that the netflix version had bad ghosting BEFORE the Zeo DVDs were made. And he just gave her an almost patronising response of "DVDs are better than Netflix, so don't you worry". If he only he had listened to her and checked the masters Saban supplied....
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 6th, 2019, 09:44 AM #365
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

It's funny to consider how much effort went into digitizing "Green Ranger Kata", while the series proper didn't get half as much love.

Bit the bullet, and ordered the BD. Also ordered the Goosebumps SD BD from a few months ago - it's listed under "Gasenhaut".

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; March 6th, 2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old March 6th, 2019, 10:01 AM #366
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

Regarding "SD on BD looks better" - not always. Samurai Pizza Cats - also from Saban, also from 1993 - looks worse on SD BD. Screenshots are subjective, but when you just look at the first episode's bitrate, the DVD is 7 607 Kbps, while the Bluray's is 5 232 Kbps.
No disrespect meant by this, but I don't think it's fair to compare bitrates in that way. The DVDs were encoded with MPEG-2 and the Blu-rays with AVC - a much more efficient codec that can allow better quality with lower bitrates and thus smaller file sizes. You have to remember that you can encode anything at a high bitrate, but it'll only ever look as good as the source.

I haven't compared the Samurai Pizza Cats release personally, but SD-on-BD does have potential to look better - IF it's done right. What could have gone wrong, as you've mentioned, is that they used the MPEG-2 DVD encodes of the show and then compressed them again with AVC for the Blu-ray. That would be a very lazy way of doing things, but I suppose perfectly acceptable for a niche release like this.

I can't see SD-on-BD catching on personally. The fact things can be presented as progressive is promising, but I can't see many situations where that would be necessary. I guess the fact that you can present stuff in its native framerate too.
IAreSam is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 10:16 AM #367
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

So, would you say thet MMPR in Netflix looks better than the Shout discs? What about Zeo, Turbo and the next ones?
Dexter1998 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 10:29 AM #368
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

So, would you say thet MMPR in Netflix looks better than the Shout discs? What about Zeo, Turbo and the next ones?
Stick with the DVDs, Netflix uses the same masters. If you don't notice any issues, don't let it impact your viewing experience.

IAreSam wrote: View Post

No disrespect meant by this
Repent!

That would be a very lazy way of doing things, but I suppose perfectly acceptable for a niche release like this.
DVD | BD (note the weaker lines and bleeding colour)

It certainly wasn't a new transfer. (DVD above, BD below)

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; March 6th, 2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old March 6th, 2019, 01:27 PM #369
> HirotoGo-OnGold
@PR_Media_Info

HirotoGo-OnGold
@PR_Media_Info

It's funny to consider how much effort went into digitizing "Green Ranger Kata", while the series proper didn't get half as much love.

Bit the bullet, and ordered the BD. Also ordered the Goosebumps SD BD from a few months ago - it's listed under "Gasenhaut".
What effort lol

(The Green Ranger Kata transfer Shout! did has absolutely horrid picture quality... like it's super awful. I have no clue what equipment they used to transfer it, but yikes. I did screenshot comparisons against my transfer and the clarity differences between the two are night and day.)
HirotoGo-OnGold is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2019, 01:57 PM #370
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

What I meant to say is, if you search "kata" across the various Shout DVD threads, you'll find disproportionate discussion about that special - versus the number of people who actually sat down and watched Green Ranger Kata.

The majority of people only watch the series-proper, and that's where most of the issues are.

Reminder that JDF's bootleg was also better than Shout's transfer. There's no excuse for that.
Old March 7th, 2019, 08:32 AM #371
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

That's such a shame! Is it possible they used some software filters for the DVD release to try and tidy things up, but didn't bother for the BD?

As I said though, SD-on-BD does have potential to look the same or better if done right. It's a shame releases like that don't do much to reassure people. Lots of lazy must have been involved in that release.

RE: Shout's methods... The Zeo Serial is a major irk of mine. We had a few people willing to offer up their 1st hand VHS recordings of this stuff, but in the end Shout opted to take a low-res, low-bitrate DivX/XviD encode from the early '00s from someone instead. A shame, given we could have had it with better video and audio quality.

Last edited by IAreSam; March 7th, 2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old March 7th, 2019, 09:25 AM #372
> Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

Dexter1998
SasoriOrange

I still have a doubt. Would you guys say the German Dvd's audio is better for the domestic versions? Also, what about MMPR, is it better in Netflix? I know from Zeo to Lost Galaxy is mono, so the audio stereo in Netflix is better, right? What would you guys recomend?
Dexter1998 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 09:48 AM #373
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

That's such a shame! Is it possible they used some software filters for the DVD release to try and tidy things up, but didn't bother for the BD?
It's doubtful.

Why not fix the tearing in episode 1? That tape artifact is the first thing viewers see.

As I said though, SD-on-BD does have potential to look the same or better if done right. It's a shame releases like that don't do much to reassure people. Lots of lazy must have been involved in that release.
Fewer discs, smaller packaging, easier to ship.

BDs aren't cheap, but these are a new kind of budget release. The German (dual audio!) SDBD for Goosebumps is significantly cheaper than DVD.

RE: Shout's methods... The Zeo Serial is a major irk of mine. We had a few people willing to offer up their 1st hand VHS recordings of this stuff, but in the end Shout opted to take a low-res, low-bitrate DivX/XviD encode from the early '00s from someone instead. A shame, given we could have had it with better video and audio quality.
"Shout listens to fans", except when they display a total unawareness of issues.

I don't even need to list a bunch, just Zyu 2.

Dexter1998 wrote: View Post

I still have a doubt. Would you guys say the German Dvd's audio is better for the domestic versions? Also, what about MMPR, is it better in Netflix? I know from Zeo to Lost Galaxy is mono, so the audio stereo in Netflix is better, right? What would you guys recomend?
Unless you just stream, and run the risk of PR leaving Netflix, things will be impartial. Cut scenes, missing audio, different sources - it's a mess, and you need to do some legwork.

Going off memory, I think the MMPR German sets were pitched up but weren't sped-up. This issue also effects the Saban film "Casper: a Spirited Beginning" - the NTSC DVD is 29 fps but has PAL-pitch audio. The Shout MMPR sets sound just fine. I would wait for the SD BD, before you decide.

The German Zeo set is your best bet. (If I recall, an episode of the Shout/Netflix version has audio issue not present on this set)

Turbo has half a dozen episodes that fall out of sync.

In Space has a few broken episodes, in addition, many of the battle cries are lifted from the German audio. It's a surreal, distracting experience. I still remember what German Andros sounds like.

Lost Galaxy has no dual-audio set, Netflix will be the way to go if you want stereo.

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; March 7th, 2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old March 8th, 2019, 12:18 PM #374
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

I bought it for the BD, knowing what the rest of the discs were.

I also bought it from a third party. Shout only ships this set to US addresses.
Well now you can really send it back now that the Blu-ray is now getting a stand-alone release. Additionally, Shout! Factory ships only within North America. So you, being in Canada, would have been able to order from them and they'd have shipped to you.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2019, 01:35 PM #375
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

Storm Eagle wrote: View Post

Well now you can really send it back now that the Blu-ray is now getting a stand-alone release. Additionally, Shout! Factory ships only within North America. So you, being in Canada, would have been able to order from them and they'd have shipped to you.
I'll reiterate my point about Shout's shipping - not all items can be shipped to Canada.

I wish I saved images of the MMPR set last week, when it was US only. Neither it nor Next Mutation were able to ship to Canada. I tried to buy each together, and I tried to buy each individually. Beast Wars was another "US only" release. Perhaps the initial license for MMPRTM didn't extend to Canada, but the steelbook is now available via Shout to Canadians.

I might keep the steelbook sealed. Either way, the timing is an oof.
Old March 15th, 2019, 11:10 AM #376
> Zeo Cereal
slurp

Zeo Cereal
slurp

Anyone notice the bonus features? (translated with Google, sorry for hiccups)
  • LORD ZEDD'S MONSTER HEADS series A Special Feature
  • MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS - KARATE CLUB Introductory video to the Fascinating and Spiritual World of the Karate
  • POWER RANGER - LIVE ON TOUR Live Stage Show with the Power Rangers
  • THE GOOD, THE BATTLE AND THE STUPID The "heroics"
  • MORPHIN TIME A Look Back at the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers with the Actors & Crew
  • A MORPHENOMENAL GAME Casting Director Katy Wallin and the Stars Tell What It Takes to Be a Power Ranger
  • THE FANS Mighty Morphin Power Rangers fans talk about The (show)

Hold onto your seats, I have a theory. Everything listed here was on the first two Shout bonus discs*. We've been told these BDs will use the same International masters as the German DVDs, but this strongly suggests that SCG masters will be on the discs, in some capacity. Hopefully this just applies to the bonus material, and not the episodes.

*The German BD listing doesn't specify which Karate Club video, but White Ranger Kata was on Shout bonus disc 2.

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers TV Series (DVD)
Bonus Disc One

Morphin Time! – A Look Back At Mighty Morphin Power Rangers With Interviews Featuring Members Of The Cast And Creative Team
A Morphenomenal Cast – Casting Director Katy Wallin And the Cast Recall What It Took to Become Power Rangers
Lord Zedd’s Monster Heads
Alpha’s Magical Christmas
The Good, The Bad And The Stupid!

Bonus Disc Two

The Fans Power Up – Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fans Remember the Series
Rare Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fan Club Video
MMPR Karate Club – The White Ranger Kata
Power Rangers Live – The World Tour

Last edited by Zeo Cereal; March 15th, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old March 15th, 2019, 10:50 PM #377
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear.
I can't see any reason why they would use Shout's bonus features without using their masters.

Manga UK released the MMPR sets here and they were identical to the shout sets.

I'm still hoping it will be the German masters as not only did I find the quality better, they also had better versions of some of the season 3 eps.
thunderzordpower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 05:32 AM #378
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

I would have thought using the Shout masters would require more work, in that they won't sync as easily with the German dialogue? At least for some episodes, anyway. I suppose that could account for the delay.

If they are using Shout's masters then I wonder if they'd leave them at 480i30 and speed up the German audio, or if they'd convert them to 576i25 so that the German audio doesn't sound slowed down?

EDIT TO ADD: The Germany company has used Shout things before though - they obviously had access to their box-art resources, which they then adjusted slightly. I think those multi-season sets were the regular German DVDs, but I'm not sure if they also included the bonus features from the Shout sets.
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:07 AM #379
> MarioRanger
Power Ranger

MarioRanger
Power Ranger

We dont use the Shout Factory Masters.

Power Rangers isnt a high selling franchise any more. It would be to expensive to buy the Shout Masters. Besides that, the Shout Masters are not really better, than the german ones.

The Cover Pictures and Bonus Features are part of the Saban Brands licencing and Saban Brands owns them - it has nothing to do with Shout.

So on the SD on Blu-ray Steelbook are the german master episodes in SD. Without any compression.
MarioRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:14 AM #380
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

MarioRanger wrote: View Post

The Cover Pictures and Bonus Features are part of the Saban Brands licencing and Saban Brands owns them - it has nothing to do with Shout.
Interesting, I always thought it was Shout who directly commissioned JC Alcantara for the cover artwork of the rangers. I suppose that doesn't mean the rights to that work don't belong to Saban Brands. Thanks for the info.

MarioRanger wrote: View Post

So on the SD on Blu-ray Steelbook are the german master episodes in SD. Without any compression.
Well there'll still be compression obviously . Just a lot more efficient than DVD's MPEG-2. Are we to assume these will be presented at 576i25 on the Blu-rays, so that the German audio isn't slowed down 4%?