Home Menu

Menu

Old April 13th, 2015, 03:17 AM #41
> chr1s
Power Ranger

chr1s
Power Ranger

Well Im almost sold for this release!! I have only bought Samurai once and since it was the "on demand" dvd set this will be a huge improvement. I agree with the whole region lock thing, it is ridiculous. But I will wait till someone reviews it just to be safe.
chr1s is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:51 AM #42
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

chr1s wrote: View Post

Well Im almost sold for this release!! I have only bought Samurai once and since it was the "on demand" dvd set this will be a huge improvement. I agree with the whole region lock thing, it is ridiculous. But I will wait till someone reviews it just to be safe.
The problem with a region lock is that some releases that are marked as locked are actually region free. So the only way to know for sure is if someone with a region A player tests it.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:04 AM #43
> chr1s
Power Ranger

chr1s
Power Ranger

I live in Europe so this isnt a problem with me but I have a software that checks this things for you. I only wait to see if there are any "problems" with this release.
Old April 13th, 2015, 04:15 AM #44
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

I live in Europe so this isnt a problem with me but I have a software that checks this things for you.
I see, I assumed you were from a region A country.
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:09 AM #45
> archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Pepper wrote: View Post

The problem with a region lock is that some releases that are marked as locked are actually region free. So the only way to know for sure is if someone with a region A player tests it.
I'll gladly be doing that. And this is true. The Mythbusters Aussie releases say they're region 4. But they're free.

This will be my first time owning Samurai. I do the hard work, made my own encodes, and burn BD's, till someone does it right. I check if all things are available first. So I never bought any of the bad versions Lionsgate put out. Bonus features. Meh. Companies abused those for 15 years on DVD. Get this one from this store. This old version has a commentary that this new release doesn't. So I said F them. Stopped caring if somethings missing, or all gone.

Last edited by archer9234; April 13th, 2015 at 06:20 AM.
archer9234 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:29 AM #46
> MarioRanger
Power Ranger

MarioRanger
Power Ranger

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

I hope that they use the correct opening sequences for the Origins two–parter as well. You're correct that Bulk and Spike were not in the credits when the episodes premiered, (at least for their stateside premiere; I can't speak to premieres in other countries,) but that goes for both parts, not just the first. (Bulk didn't show up until the second part, and introducing him in the credits would have essentially been a spoiler to anyone watching the episodes in order.) I wouldn't be so irritated about the "wrong" credits being used for Origins if not for the fact that the "correct" credits are exclusive to that two–part episode. The credits change for The Team Unites, and having the incorrect credits on Origins effectively eliminates an entire opening from the series. I was mildly annoyed when Lionsgate botched this on the U.S. DVD release, but it wasn't inconsistent with the way that they'd handled the show as a whole. I was far more irritated by the fact that Shout! Factory apparently screwed this up as well, and used masters with the "wrong" opening instead of the one that should have been included with Origins. What's worse, I intentionally didn't bother to send Shout! Factory any post–PRRPM material that I'd recorded from television because I figured they'd be able to get it from Saban Brands. If there was some reason why they couldn't get the correct masters, and I'd known about it in advance, I'd have included my recordings of the original broadcast of Origins if only so they could pull the Origins–exclusive opening from it. I'd like to see at least one company get this right, and that opening alone would be enough of an incentive for me to import this set..
We discussed that very heavenly. The international masters dont have the "correct" opening, because "Origins 1 + 2" are episode 19 and 20.

My idea was it to use the opening from episode 3 ("The team unites" - because of Deker and Antonio). But its not allowed to change openings/scenes by ourselfes - thats a licence agreement.

BTW i never saw that in other DVD releases of Samurai (like Lionsgate), so i dont think thats just a problem of the international masters... (?).
MarioRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 08:06 AM #47
> chr1s
Power Ranger

chr1s
Power Ranger

MarioRanger wrote: View Post

We discussed that very heavenly. The international masters dont have the "correct" opening, because "Origins 1 + 2" are episode 19 and 20.

My idea was it to use the opening from episode 3 ("The team unites" - because of Deker and Antonio). But its not allowed to change openings/scenes by ourselfes - thats a licence agreement.

BTW i never saw that in other DVD releases of Samurai (like Lionsgate), so i dont think thats just a problem of the international masters... (?).
so are those listed as episodes 19&20 or as 1&2 on the new set?
Old April 13th, 2015, 08:08 AM #48
> MarioRanger
Power Ranger

MarioRanger
Power Ranger

so are those listed as episodes 19&20 or as 1&2 on the new set?
They are as episode 1 & 2 on the set.
Old April 13th, 2015, 08:17 AM #49
> chr1s
Power Ranger

chr1s
Power Ranger

MarioRanger wrote: View Post

They are as episode 1 & 2 on the set.
thank you for clearing this up

BTW release date changed to April 30!!

Last edited by chr1s; April 13th, 2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:53 AM #50
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

Boooo Saban for causing this opening titles mess on ep 1-2! Gutted that they never gave you the fixed masters and you got the old ones instead like Lionsgate and Shout - but it may appear that this is the only issue with this set preventing it from being perfect! Fingers crossed.
IAreSam is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:02 AM #51
> MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

MegaBlue
Let's Rocket!

I thought the "Origins" TV opening was something that was a late addition to things, and maybe Nick threw it together. I know Disney had a special opening/graphics set for "Wizards On Deck with Hannah Montana" way back in the day, but the DVD release kept the individual episodes as they would normally be presented, with their own openings and closings.
MegaBlue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 11:13 AM #52
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

I suppose it's entirely possible that the correct opening titles were produced when Origins were still the genuine episode 1 & 2, "Call of the Red Ranger" and "Rise of the Megazord", and the wrong titles were added when they were retitled "Origins" and moved to episode 19 and 20. Then the 'final' domestic master just re-added the correct opening, but the previous masters had already been distributed internationally and archived - hence the mistake for all the home media releases.
Old April 14th, 2015, 08:59 PM #53
> juliannn1
Power Ranger

juliannn1
Power Ranger

archer9234 wrote: View Post

HD content can be still put into 25fps. My Lightning Strikes BD is in PAL format. It probably won't be. The title cards aren't in German. So I don't see them converting them. I have a feeling it will be region B. I don't care my BD player has that nonsense disabled. But it affects most people. Well I'm buying this. And will keep buying these German imports. Till Lionsgate makes proper releases.
That's what I have been doing!
juliannn1 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 02:31 AM #54
> AtoMan
Now read my post again

AtoMan
Now read my post again

It's an issue because my Blu–Ray player is a PS3 where I can't just disable the region–locking. (I don't have an external Blu–Ray drive that I can connect to my Macs either, at least not yet anyway, nor do I have software that would allow me to bypass the region coding for an external drive.) A better question is why studios continue to force region–locking onto consumers if it's so easy to bypass. It's obviously not doing anything to prevent piracy, and it's only keeping people who want to buy something legally originating in another country from being able to use what they've purchased.
Apparently it's not so easy to bypass for you IT's an consumer-level issue, and yes, mostly intended to prevent importing. Several companies licensing shows to other countries force the DVD/BD publishers to region lock to prevent reverse importing, so there's that.

I'd probably care a lot less about this if Lionsgate was releasing PR BDs stateside instead of deciding that they weren't worth pursuing because their "Complete Season" set that wasn't complete and was poorly produced failed to sell well. I hope that if enough people import this set and bring it to PMC5 next year, someone will realize that there's a market for PR BDs in the United States, provided that they're done properly. Maybe that'd convince Lionsgate that the problem with their set was that it was poorly put together, and we'd see some Region–A releases again.
Well, since they could still theoretically make one, the German set would be seen as an competing product.
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2015, 11:00 AM #55
> MarioRanger
Power Ranger

MarioRanger
Power Ranger

The Power Rangers Samurai Blu-ray and DVD boxsets are in stock now on www.amazon.de

Please let me know what you think about the final product. As a Ranger fan since 1994 i tried everything to make the best out of it.

Since the Megaforce and Super Megaforce disaster, Power Rangers has a hard stand in our german speaking countries. Please support this release if you can
Old April 30th, 2015, 11:03 AM #56
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

Preordered mine AGES ago so expecting a dispatch notice today MarioRanger.

Hoping everything's good on these - still a shame about the Origins not being the finished version though but I understand that's Saban Brands' fault not yours.

Looking forward to a Super Samurai onwards release!
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:38 AM #57
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

I finally got mine today, it would have arrived on saturday but DHL was on strike that day.

Disc 1 has episodes 1-8, disc 2 episodes 9-16 and disc 3 episodes 17-20 plus Party Monsters, Christmas Together ... and Clash of the Red Rangers, episode titles are in english and the Origins 2 parter has the wrong opening credits, it's a bare bones release, it's fine for what it is but pretty lazy all things considered. Once again there's some missing footage, the "Centuries ago in Japan ..." opening starts with "... Japan ..." cutting off the first few words. Thankfully this silly thing is skipped entirely when the play all option is used, it only plays once at the start and is ignored for all other episodes.

BTW, I don't believe that it was impossible to get the correct opening credits of Origins, they just didn't try because it would have cost time and money. I know MarioRanger said they couldn't but he always blamed others for every mistake, his standard excuse for missing footage or sound on previous releases was always "That's how we got them and we weren't allowed to change anything", weird considering they were dealing with two separate companies.

Meanwhile, another company reconstructed the original broadcast episodes of Ren and Stimpy, piecing them together from english masters, german tv masters and recordings they took from fans! It's not perfect and some scenes lack english audio because it couldn't be found but tit is the longest version worldwide. Another company reconstructed Quantum Leap to full length when the original german masters had long been lost, it took them months and lots of fan interaction.
Of course those aren't Disney or Saban shows and it could make a difference, I just find it hard to believe and as an excuse it's awfully convenient.
Old May 4th, 2015, 11:41 AM #58
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

What?! So the first two seconds of each episode are essentially chopped off for no reason?

Mine is due to arrive on 7th May.
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:16 PM #59
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Hariken wrote: View Post

What?! So the first two seconds of each episode are essentially chopped off for no reason?
At least on the first disc, I haven't checked the others. I assume it's because the clip is only on the disc once and played several times instead of being part of every episode.

The episodes themselves are fine as far as I've watched and the introduction clip is pointless anyway, but it's still not good if the first impression you get from this release after pressing play is "Huh, something's missing".
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:30 PM #60
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

Hmm nope, not at all... every episode should be presented complete (seeing as they're not allowed to change anything apparently) and they should make use of Blu-ray chapter points if they want the Play All feature to run seamlessly. Might be a minor issue but it's still one that should have been avoided completely.