Menu

Old May 6th, 2019, 11:01 AM #441
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

I just got home and the first thing I did was check this set. I picked a random S3 episode.

Man I'm disappointed. The set lacks the compression artifacting of the Shout sets, but the picture quality is so unimpressive that I would put money that this has been achieved via software filtering as the picture is undeniably softer (read blurrier) and lacking the fine details of both the previous US and German DVD sets.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 05:41 AM #442
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

Going back to check this again, I now discover that it's also CROPPED. In this example, look to the right of the screen. Zordon's tube and part of Alpha is missing from the BD but is present on the DVD. On the left, buttons on the console are missing.

http://www.framecompare.com/screensh...rison/E09FNNNU

Here, the image zooms in on Megazord, cutting out the cannon on the left side of the screen.

http://www.framecompare.com/screensh...rison/GW7WNNNX
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:01 AM #443
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

Yikes. Obviously that won't bother most folk, and 99% wouldn't notice it anyway unless it was pointed out... but it is a rather odd thing for them to do.

I know from when I've been working on the VHSes in the past that MMPR can be a bit erratic with the black bars (within each episode). As an example, sometimes the US footage would need 8 pixels cropping on the right and the JP footage would need 24. Perhaps this was some kind of automated cropping process that ensured it was always done to the 24, rather than the 8? Eliminating any chance of these black bars appearing, that once upon a time would have been covered with overscan.
IAreSam is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:52 AM #444
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

It's a cripplingly disappointing release. Honestly, the only thing I like about it is the fact that the original Saban Entertainment logo runs at the end of each episode. This is an incredible waste of an opportunity.

It's literally just the DVD files.

Do not waste your money on this.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:06 AM #445
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

I keep coming back to one thing... there is literally no reason for this set to exist. Let's face it, the main selling point of SD-on-Blu-ray is being able to take advantage of more efficient codecs compared to DVD's MPEG-2 - but they've unfortunately just used MPEG-2 anyway. I suppose an other benefit is that you don't need to swap discs as much. The packaging of the set looks wonderful though - I just hope the people who have bought it don't feel cheated.
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:36 AM #446
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Is it just me or didn't this company use older codecs for the BluRays of Samurai-Super Megaforce?

It's a real shame that PR releases on DVD/Blu-Ray are consistently so poor. Obviously, with footage, this old there's going to be problems, but some of the issues we've had could have easily been avoided.
big smile is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 10:51 AM #447
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

IIRC they only used MPEG-2 on Samurai and Super Samurai. After that I assume they saw a few of us moaning and they got themselves a H.264/AVC license in time for Megaforce and Super Megaforce.

Yeah, it does seem that there's always a multitude of issues preventing any and every release from being definitive. Grateful for those who have tried their best to give us decent releases, though.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 11th, 2019, 11:40 AM #448
> DekaMax
Power Ranger

DekaMax
Power Ranger

IAreSam wrote: View Post

I keep coming back to one thing... there is literally no reason for this set to exist.
If nothing else, they can cram more episodes onto a single disc.
DekaMax is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 11:55 AM #449
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

DekaMax wrote: View Post

If nothing else, they can cram more episodes onto a single disc.
I don't even know whether it's cheaper for them to press 6 Blu-rays or 18 DVDs (the previous S1-3 set). I guess the cost of making Blu-rays must have reduced significantly; I see a lot of the smaller studios doing these SD-on-BD releases... maybe it is more cost effective for JustBridge to do this instead of re-issuing the previous sets? *shrug*
Old May 12th, 2019, 06:47 AM #450
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

I suppose an other benefit is that you don't need to swap discs as much.
I think for most people that is the main selling point not a slightly better picture, I keep reading comments that people love those sets taking up less space and that they don't have to swap discs as often anymore. That's all anecdotal evidence but greatmpicture quality doesn't seem to be a factor for the average SD on Bluray buyer.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:22 PM #451
> AFPR-DragonRanger
Flour Ranger

AFPR-DragonRanger
Flour Ranger

Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

Going back to check this again, I now discover that it's also CROPPED. In this example, look to the right of the screen. Zordon's tube and part of Alpha is missing from the BD but is present on the DVD. On the left, buttons on the console are missing.

http://www.framecompare.com/screensh...rison/E09FNNNU

Here, the image zooms in on Megazord, cutting out the cannon on the left side of the screen.

http://www.framecompare.com/screensh...rison/GW7WNNNX
Here you're comparing Shout's NTSC DVD to the PAL BD, right?

Part of the image is lost, but it's not truly a crop. It looks like the edges were lost at the time these old PAL masters were created. On the left and right, the soft black borders are indicative of what's called horizontal blanking.
AFPR-DragonRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 01:00 PM #452
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

I'm guessing it was something to do with converting from NTSC to PAL, that in order to resize the image without distorting it, they did this blanking.
Old May 29th, 2019, 12:39 AM #453
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

Has anyone heard anything about them resolving the issues on the set yet?
thunderzordpower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 12:56 AM #454
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

The issues are minor and most people probably won't notice, I doubt they'll do anything about it.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:11 AM #455
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

Salted Pepper wrote: View Post

The issues are minor and most people probably won't notice, I doubt they'll do anything about it.
They've said on FB previously they will do replacement discs. Was just wondering if anybody had heard anything from them since.
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:35 AM #456
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

thunderzordpower wrote: View Post

They've said on FB previously they will do replacement discs. Was just wondering if anybody had heard anything from them since.
They did? I'm really surprised they're doing this. What issues specifically on which discs do they want to fix?
Old May 29th, 2019, 01:54 AM #457
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

They've mentioned the first 2 eps of season 2 issues with the dub but they are aware of season 1 eps 2 and 4. So hopefully, that's just that and then it won't be long before they create the new ones.
Old May 29th, 2019, 03:35 AM #458
> IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay
IAreSam
VIP Rider

eBay

If the audio tracks on certain episodes are mixed up/incorrect then I'd hardly call that a minor issue. Even if it does only occur on the German dub.
Old May 29th, 2019, 08:06 AM #459
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

Salted Pepper
Duck Mod

If the audio tracks on certain episodes are mixed up/incorrect then I'd hardly call that a minor issue. Even if it does only occur on the German dub.
I must have missed that, I was only aware of slight croppimg amd the picture not being quite as good as it could be.
Old May 29th, 2019, 11:30 PM #460
> powerfanatic
Power Ranger

powerfanatic
Power Ranger

I hadn't had the chance to contact Just Bridge yet, I just e-mailed them yesterday and got the "We're adding you to the list and as soon as the discs are ready we'll send them to you" reply. So I guess there's hope that they are addressing issues, but I hope it's not just the German audio tracks, as the picture weirdness in Disc 1 bothers me more...

Btw, were there any more issues found since, like, a month ago? Been off the radar for a bit...

thunderzordpower wrote: View Post

They've mentioned the first 2 eps of season 2 issues with the dub but they are aware of season 1 eps 2 and 4. So hopefully, that's just that and then it won't be long before they create the new ones.
Wait, what's going on with episode 4? I know there was an audio glitch in the german track during the opening credits, but was something else spotted?

Last edited by powerfanatic; May 30th, 2019 at 01:12 AM.
powerfanatic is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote