They use a lot of stickers. So you will be painting for a bit
Zander Yurami is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 04:52 PM #42
> Infinitevirtue
Power Ranger

Infinitevirtue
Power Ranger

ExiaAmazing wrote: View Post

Ordered a HGCE Aile Strike and an SD Build Strike Full Package from Gundam Store and More this morning. Can't wait to piece them together. Anyone know how intense the painting will end up being on the SD kit? I remember my last SD kit years ago (GP02A Physalis) needing quite a bit if you didn't want to use stickers.
I am currently working on the SD Build Strike right now and I have to say it will be pretty intense. Here are some assembled pics, unpainted:

I haven't gotten much painting done yet because I am currently filling in the holes on the backpack, feet, and legs with epoxy putty.
Infinitevirtue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 06:37 PM #43
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Holy fuck, that makes me glad I only spent like $7 on the thing.

I guess I won't be going with any more SDs until I get a better painting setup worked out...

Also, I will absolutely order at least two of these sets from Gundam Store as soon as they come out. I'll need at least one set for a custom I have in mind...
Crow T. Robot is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:41 PM #44
> Infinitevirtue
Power Ranger

Infinitevirtue
Power Ranger

ExiaAmazing wrote: View Post

Holy fuck, that makes me glad I only spent like $7 on the thing.

I guess I won't be going with any more SDs until I get a better painting setup worked out...

Also, I will absolutely order at least two of these sets from Gundam Store as soon as they come out. I'll need at least one set for a custom I have in mind...
Yeah, probably one of the reasons why SD's are so cheap.

I was planning on getting those too, the swords are the only thing I really want though.
Infinitevirtue is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 08:46 PM #45
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Infinitevirtue wrote: View Post

I was planning on getting those too, the swords are the only thing I really want though.
Same here. I could maybe find use for the missile pods as well, but the swords alone are worth the price. I was starting to worry that my first custom would involve having to cannibalize an Astray Red Frame. I just wish they were in 1/100 scale instead of 1/144, so I could have a larger, more detailed base for my custom...
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:50 AM #46
> Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay
Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay

So I got this kit from a buddy as a VERY late BDay gift

I was gonna customize it with new parts and colors, but I changed my mind. She is getting battle worn. But before I do that, she needs a friend. Look for my, my roommate has 2 of an older kit and said I can have it.

This is gonna be fun
Old April 29th, 2014, 04:57 PM #47
> Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay
Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay

Old May 1st, 2014, 09:10 PM #48
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

My wife is probably gonna hate me next week. I've got my HGCE Aile Strike and SD Build Gundam Full Package coming tomorrow, and now that I noticed that GSAM got 1/144 Gouf Flight Types in stock (I always wanted that one back when 08th hit Toonami, but only ever found the Ez-8 locally) I caved and ordered one of those. And it was a fight to not toss a few other kits in the basket at the same time.

Thankfully, my wife's upcoming birthday dinner helped curb my spending a bit
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:01 PM #49
> Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay
Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay

Here is something different

Show off your work area!

Old May 19th, 2014, 11:19 AM #50
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

I'll have to take a picture of my space later. Right now it's covered in runners from my new RX-78-2 MG Ver. 3.0, so much so that I don't even have room for my laptop anymore. (It's usually my office space)

Speaking of the 3.0, this thing is by far the most ridiculous kit I've ever built. So far I've only completed the Core Fighter, torso, and head, but they've been unbelievable. The Core Fighter had me super-frustrated (and still doesn't feel as stable in the wings as I expected), but the torso and head are amazing. How can you not love a kit where the chest vents come in like 12 different pieces instead of two?
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:39 PM #51
> Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay
Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay

Old May 28th, 2014, 06:58 PM #52
> CardKaptor
Emily's #1 Fan

CardKaptor
Emily's #1 Fan

So I've never done any of these but was interested. I am curious though, do they all require painting? Only some of them? None of them? I'm HAPPY to put in the work, but I know definitively that my painting skills mean any real amount of painting would mean the the thing I made looks like ****.

Thanks for any input!
CardKaptor is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 07:15 PM #53
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

CardKaptor wrote: View Post

So I've never done any of these but was interested. I am curious though, do they all require painting? Only some of them? None of them? I'm HAPPY to put in the work, but I know definitively that my painting skills mean any real amount of painting would mean the the thing I made looks like ****.

Thanks for any input!
Painting is rarely required, but depending on the grade you go with, it might be very much recommended...

SD (Super Deformed) - Often come with large stickers for typically painted areas, but these generally benefit the most from painting.

HG (High Grade) 1/144 scale - Much better than SD kits, but still often could benefit from a fair bit from painting. For example, my Nemo (Desert Colors Ver.) looks fine without paint, but my Aile Strike Gundam and Gouf Flight Type both have decent sized segments that need paint to be really accurate. (They both still look fairly good either bare or with stickers though, if you're not comfortable with your painting skills)

MG (Master Grade) 1/100 scale - Really good on their own. Because of their size and the amount of parts, usually things can be better molded in the proper colors. Paint isn't generally necessary on these unless you really want it.

Honestly, if I were you I'd hop onto a site like gundamstoreandmore.com and order a few cheaper SD and HG kits (you can find lots of both for $20 or less each, some less than $10 each) and use them to practice painting if you have the equipment and supplies. They'll also give you a good bit of building practice before moving up to MGs, or even PGs (Perfect Grades) if you have that kind of money to spend.

Also, if you want to get in on this hobby, here's a list of recommended tools:

1. Side cutter (and make sure it's really a hobby-grade side cutter. They can cut much closer to the piece and do so much cleaner, making it easier to clean up stray plastic. I used to use just a cheap pair of wire cutters from a hardware store, but this has made all the difference)

2. Files/Sandpaper (If you can, get a variety of grits. Higher grits can be useful for sanding down extra nubs of plastic on pieces, while finer grits can help polish pieces)

3. X-Acto Knife (I use mine regularly in place of my file to shave off extra plastic from pieces and smooth out rough parts)

4. Gundam Markers (particularly the fine-tipped ones for filling in panel lines on the pieces for extra detail)
Old May 29th, 2014, 02:45 AM #54
> CardKaptor
Emily's #1 Fan

CardKaptor
Emily's #1 Fan

Thank you for the detailed reply. What painting tools would I need to give your advice a shot?

And also, just to clarify: given that MG don't require much painting but your recommended I start on SD and HG, I take it that MG are MUCH more complicated to actually build?
Old May 29th, 2014, 05:53 AM #55
> Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

Crow T. Robot
Wisecracker

CardKaptor wrote: View Post

Thank you for the detailed reply. What painting tools would I need to give your advice a shot?

And also, just to clarify: given that MG don't require much painting but your recommended I start on SD and HG, I take it that MG are MUCH more complicated to actually build?
Not always, but they can be. Right now I'm building the MG Ver. 3.0 Gundam RX-78-2. It's an amazing kit, but due to how much it can be posed and how much detail there is to the movements (like panels sliding around as you bend the arms and legs) it's honestly the most complicated kit I've built since I originally started back when I was like 13-14. (I'm almost 27 now) In fact, I've sat down on nights where I've only had an hour or two to work on things, and only managed to complete small bits, like the two nights at about an hour a piece when I only managed an arm each night. But don't let that scare you, because the time and money are easily worth it.

As far as painting goes, I'll have to be more vague because at the moment I don't even paint my own kits, but back when I used to try to over a decade ago, I did learn a few things...

1. An airbrush is best. It'll allow you to mix your own colors and get consistencies right where you need them. When using one, make sure you spray lightly over multiple coats and not just in one go. There should be plenty of video tutorials online for proper technique. Brushes really should only be used if you know how to paint in a way that'll minimize the appearance of brush strokes.

2. I personally recommend the Citadel paints that Games Workshop puts out for Warhammer minis. I used to use them and found that they're not too glossy and they're easy to work with. I recommend using flat enamel paints over glossy acrylics, because glossy paints can look odd on Gundam models. IMO, they're more meant for car models.

3. Always start with a good primer. Depending on the base color of the kit, white or grey is what you're looking for. (Example: using grey primer on a kit where the parts are mostly white would be best, because then you can actually see how well the pieces are being covered)

4. If you're going to do panel lining with Gundam Markers (which is filling in the lines where metal panels on a real Gundam would meet and have a natural gap/shadow) always keep cotton swabs nearby for immediate clean up of accidents and for the removal of excess paint. Again, for this process, there should be plenty of video tutorials online.
Old May 29th, 2014, 07:35 AM #56
> Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay
Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay

I will paint what parts need to be painted, and will generally leave the rest alone. You can then go over the full kit with a clear top coat and make it looks a lot better than the normal plastic.

I just use a krylon clear matte finish.

I have never used an air brush set because, well, I'm a cheap bastard. I stick with spray paint, gundam markers, and some brushing
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:31 AM #57
> CardKaptor
Emily's #1 Fan

CardKaptor
Emily's #1 Fan

Thanks for all the info guys and/or gals! I'll probably bight the bullet and make an order when I get paid tomorrow (and maybe wait on painting). One last quick question: what colors of gundam markers should I be making sure I get? Does the following set cover what I need, or is it missing important staples: http://www.gundamstoreandmore.com/gm...l#.U4dupCimWFc

Again, thank you for all of your help. I like the idea of a hobby that isn't too amazingly expensive and also takes up a lot of time (as opposed to say my figuarts collecting, which doesn't require a lot of time but is still expensive).
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:41 AM #58
> Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay
Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay

I normally just buy whatever I need at the time. My local hobby store sells them all. (Hobby Town USA)
You will need a panel lining pen as well.

~:~:~:~

On a sidenote; The seller on ebay sent me the wrong gunpla and doesnt offer refunds or exchanges. So I am thinking of selling what they sent me.

Old May 29th, 2014, 10:51 AM #59
> RiderFan18
Power Ranger

RiderFan18
Power Ranger

What kit were you originally expecting?
RiderFan18 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:53 AM #60
> Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay
Zander Yurami
Nerdy NotionZ

32 eBay

The prices on it has gone up since I placed the order. Some even going for more than the one I got instead