Home Menu

Menu

Old May 16th, 2019, 07:17 AM #1981
> Activator
Power Ranger

Activator
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15 wrote: View Post

I've never understood the mindset of people wanting civilian figures of the rangers. To me, it just makes no sense. I'm 100% on board with collecting figures of your favorite costumed superheroes (especially if they're more high end figures for display) but once you take the costume off of them... you're pretty much just displaying a bunch of dolls of random dudes. It just isn't super appealing to me. Not judging anyone who does this or wants to, but I have a hard time understanding the appeal.
What if I told you all figures are just dolls?

Unmorphed/civilian forms could add a bit to your collection in terms of display. And there's the whole side of the collector spectrum that's in the game for taking ACBA type photos and stuff.

It's not for me either, but I can see the interest. Plus in some cases (SPD), you can get some pretty sweet uniforms!
Activator is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:22 AM #1982
> ⚡Dyl
Install Megaranger!

eBay
Dyl
Install Megaranger!

eBay

I've never understood the mindset of people wanting civilian figures of the rangers. To me, it just makes no sense. I'm 100% on board with collecting figures of your favorite costumed superheroes (especially if they're more high end figures for display) but once you take the costume off of them... you're pretty much just displaying a bunch of dolls of random dudes. It just isn't super appealing to me. Not judging anyone who does this or wants to, but I have a hard time understanding the appeal.
It's because when people see their favourite team or ranger, they associate those costumes with the characters that wear them as well. So to have ranger figures with civilian heads not only allows them to display their favourite ranger morphed, but also unmorphed/helmetless.
Dyl is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 08:55 AM #1983
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Activator wrote: View Post

What if I told you all figures are just dolls?

Unmorphed/civilian forms could add a bit to your collection in terms of display. And there's the whole side of the collector spectrum that's in the game for taking ACBA type photos and stuff.

It's not for me either, but I can see the interest. Plus in some cases (SPD), you can get some pretty sweet uniforms!
I know some people use the terms doll/action figure interchangeably and at their core, they are essentially the same thing: plastic toys with accessories that are predominantly meant for children to play with.

Still, to distinguishing feature is the costume, not the classification. If someone collects Star Trek toys and they have Captain Kirk wearing his uniform, that to me is a little bit different than owning a Captain Kirk figure wearing Jeans and a T-shirt. If we're talking about a season like SPD or in Space, that sort of falls under the same lines.

I just can't wrap my head around wanting a figure of Tommy wearing a green beater. That's basically just a young JDF figure at that point

But again, to each their own.

Dyl wrote: View Post

It's because when people see their favourite team or ranger, they associate those costumes with the characters that wear them as well. So to have ranger figures with civilian heads not only allows them to display their favourite ranger morphed, but also unmorphed/helmetless.
Having a swappable head makes sense to me. I'm just not a huge fan and would never collect fully unmorphed figures.
cleanuphtr15 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 10:26 AM #1984
> AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

I've never understood the mindset of people wanting civilian figures of the rangers. To me, it just makes no sense. I'm 100% on board with collecting figures of your favorite costumed superheroes (especially if they're more high end figures for display) but once you take the costume off of them... you're pretty much just displaying a bunch of dolls of random dudes.
Because it is still the same character. Same reason I like having a Peter Parker figure or Clark Kent figure, I like the characters overall and not just the iconic looks.
AkaBunnyUnicorn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:01 AM #1985
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

AkaBunnyUnicorn wrote: View Post

Because it is still the same character. Same reason I like having a Peter Parker figure or Clark Kent figure, I like the characters overall and not just the iconic looks.
I mean... my comment wasn't really limited to PR.

The Peter Parker or Clark Kent figures don't make any more sense to me than the Tommy Oliver figure would.

If you have a Spiderman figure, a Superman figure, a PR figure... you have the costume design, the interesting details etc. If you have a Peter Parker figure its basically just a Tobey Mcguire action figure. I really just don't get it.
Old May 16th, 2019, 11:49 AM #1986
> AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

I mean... my comment wasn't really limited to PR.

The Peter Parker or Clark Kent figures don't make any more sense to me than the Tommy Oliver figure would.

If you have a Spiderman figure, a Superman figure, a PR figure... you have the costume design, the interesting details etc. If you have a Peter Parker figure its basically just a Tobey Mcguire action figure. I really just don't get it.
No worries, I'm not trying to change your mind or get you to get it, I'm just saying that is why I find it appealing. Seeing a version of a character I like as it exists (be it comics, cartoons, TV shows or movies) is appealing to me. If a character has more than one "form" or look, having the others just feels like having a more complete collection of that character for me.

But for the most part, this is about existing looks. For example, I'll buy variations of Batman that look like his different appearances across comics, TV and films (including Bruce Wayne, alt costumes, etc.), but I'm not really drawn to arbitrary variants that have no counterpart (like so many, many versions of Batman from the Kenner line of early 90's). So if they released a figure of Billy with glasses and wearing his overalls, I'll get it because that was a look the character had. But if they release a figure of Billy in a pink and green zoot suit and a bowler hat, I wouldn't have the same interest (except maybe as custom fodder) because that isn't from any existing PR media.
Old May 16th, 2019, 12:44 PM #1987
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger

I read something a while back about the MOTU line. The reviewer who wrote the article said that he loved people whose favorite figure was Prince Adam, because it showed that those people loved the story of He-Man. It wasn't just about cool looking guys with swords and guns smashing into each other, those kids turned play time into story time. Really the only reason you'd have a Prince Adam figure was for him to turn into He-Man in your play pattern.

I think the same thing is true of adult collectors, even if many of us don't really "play" with our toys anymore so much as we maybe fiddle with them a bit, pose them, and put them on display (and some don't even do that, they just leave them in their plastic prisons for forever). People who want that Prince Adam, or Tommy, or Clark Kent, they're interested in the whole story of those characters and those worlds, not just the nifty costume designs.
BigMDtheSequel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 16th, 2019, 02:13 PM #1988
> bearytrek
Power Ranger

bearytrek
Power Ranger

well Target cancelled my preorder for Zedd so I gotta start hunting ebay or something for him now...

disappointing that I've only seen a handful of figures only once at Target too...maybe they'll be more plentiful before the end of the year (when's wave 2 due?) but its not a good feeling when you can't get new toys right out of the gate...
bearytrek is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 05:19 PM #1989
> StaticShin27
Free drinks, you know?

StaticShin27
Free drinks, you know?

BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

I think the same thing is true of adult collectors, even if many of us don't really "play" with our toys anymore so much as we maybe fiddle with them a bit, pose them, and put them on display (and some don't even do that, they just leave them in their plastic prisons for forever). People who want that Prince Adam, or Tommy, or Clark Kent, they're interested in the whole story of those characters and those worlds, not just the nifty costume designs.
I think this has a lot to do with it. I mean personally, my version of 'playing' has evolved into posing and photos and it's why I always appreciate when a new civilian body rolls around. I can't tell you how many awesome Iron Man photos I've seen after that Tony Stark figuarts came out.

I have 15+ different spider-men and maybe 2 Peter Parker heads. We've gotten like two J. Jonah figures in the last 20 years. It's another market, albeit niche, that's barely being filled.
StaticShin27 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2019, 09:42 PM #1990
> thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

thunderzordpower
Power Ranger

I think civilian figures for Power Rangers are more desirable anyway because action occurs before they morph in the series. So for those that play or display in action poses or fighting villain figures, that means they can do pre morph stuff like fighting Putties etc.
thunderzordpower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2019, 08:21 AM #1991
> Nendoramachine
Now on Facebook!

Nendoramachine
Now on Facebook!

Debatable statement: We need civilian figures.

UN-debatable statement: We need Bulk and Skull!!!
Nendoramachine is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2019, 02:04 AM #1992
> Utomowatch
Power Ranger

Utomowatch
Power Ranger

Nendoramachine wrote: View Post

Boom, Ninjor, Rito.

Which one fits better for red DC as a steed, BoJ Deinochaser sets or BoA Dino Cycle?

Last edited by Utomowatch; May 18th, 2019 at 02:04 AM.
Utomowatch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 05:04 AM #1993
> Red Rock
Power Ranger

Red Rock
Power Ranger

The figures I'd like to see are from,
VR Troopers, Masked Rider, Beetleborgs, Super Human Samurai Syber Squad, and Samurai Pizza Cats.
If Hasbro somehow has possibility someday of making any of those, that would be cool.
Maybe Haikaider figures as well. I'm not sure if I spelt that last one correctly.
Red Rock is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 08:38 PM #1994
> Dark_skies1031
May the Power Protect You

eBay
Dark_skies1031

eBay

Nendoramachine wrote: View Post

If they made Bulk and Skull that would just be downright hilarious!! Honestly, hasbro just might do it too. I also would like to see a Lord Zedd style Putty/Putties from season 2 of mmpr.
Dark_skies1031 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2019, 08:43 PM #1995
> Activator
Power Ranger

Activator
Power Ranger

Red Rock wrote: View Post

The figures I'd like to see are from,
VR Troopers, Masked Rider, Beetleborgs, Super Human Samurai Syber Squad, and Samurai Pizza Cats.
If Hasbro somehow has possibility someday of making any of those, that would be cool.
Maybe Haikaider figures as well. I'm not sure if I spelt that last one correctly.
They could probably sneak Beetleborgs in under "Forever Red" villains, but even then, there's probably some other rights involved that might get in the way. It would be cool to see I guess.

Has anyone removed the white ranger's vest to see how the chest was sculpted underneath?
Activator is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:06 AM #1996
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

Dark_skies1031 wrote: View Post

If they made Bulk and Skull that would just be downright hilarious!! Honestly, hasbro just might do it too. I also would like to see a Lord Zedd style Putty/Putties from season 2 of mmpr.
Maybe this is just me, but I'd imagine that Hasbro could pretty much print money by making "Lightning Collection" putties, tengas, etc. as Hasbro Pulse exclusive figures. Don't even bother shipping them to the stores where people might be turned off by "only" finding one. Just sell them on Pulse and let the orders of 5+ pour in.
Old May 20th, 2019, 06:44 AM #1997
> mmprfan09
One In A Million

mmprfan09
One In A Million

I wonder if hasbro would do more lines for retro characters, like a 5 inch line and 12 inch line like they have for transformers and marvel...

It would be nice to have everything super detailed and articulated at $20 lol but will they have things for a lower price point as well?
mmprfan09 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:06 AM #1998
> cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

cleanuphtr15
Power Ranger

mmprfan09 wrote: View Post

I wonder if hasbro would do more lines for retro characters, like a 5 inch line and 12 inch line like they have for transformers and marvel...

It would be nice to have everything super detailed and articulated at $20 lol but will they have things for a lower price point as well?
That has the potential to get a little messy.

Like, which characters would they be making in this smaller/cheaper scale?

- Are they just redoing characters who have already been Lightninged? If so, I'm not buying them. I already bought what is essentially the 'best' Zedd, White Ranger, etc. Why would I pay more money to get a lesser version of the same ranger?

Put it this way... I bought Legacy Tommy after already buying "legacy" Tommy (5") because it was a better figure. I bought Lightning Tommy for the same reason. I know some people like to have displays of the same ranger in dozens of scales and molds, but that isn't for me. I'm sure some people would buy the cheaper scale, but I also am pretty sure I wouldn't be the only person holding out.

- Alternatively, would they be making characters who haven't been Lightninged yet? If so, that would be kind of annoying. Like, OK... Here's Rito... but he doesn't fit in the same scale as Goldar, Zedd or Tommy.

I think Hasbro would look to establish this line for a while before doing anything like that. And if anything, they'd maybe start pushing some retro rangers out as part of the current line. Maybe a few MMPR/DT/DC as part of the beast morphers line once the teamup airs?
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old May 20th, 2019, 10:16 AM #1999
> AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing

I think Hasbro would look to establish this line for a while before doing anything like that. And if anything, they'd maybe start pushing some retro rangers out as part of the current line. Maybe a few MMPR/DT/DC as part of the beast morphers line once the teamup airs?
That would be my guess as well. Not too far off from how they do the non Legends and non Black Series lines. Even when the lines have a particular theme, like those built around a current film or animated series, sometimes a few figures of characters that were not actually in them but are still associated with the characters will pop up.

For example, the Star Wars Rebels line included figures of characters from the film franchise and TCW (the "Rebels" title absent from the packaging, but were still part of the same line).

Old May 20th, 2019, 03:44 PM #2000
> Dark_skies1031

eBay
Dark_skies1031

eBay

I just though about this. What do you think hasbro will do with the mmpr armored rangers? Green, Red, and black rangers all got the chance to wear the dragon armor in season 1 mmpr. Do you think they will include a detachable dragon shield for those rangers(I hope) or just make a seperate model with permanent shields? I think It would be a smart idea for them to come with detachable shields but I'm thinking hasbro will just make a whole seperate figure(make them more $$). Also, I know this wasn't in the show, but I always thought an armored blue ranger would look seriously awesome.
Dark_skies1031 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
super epic legacy legends