RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old September 12th, 2017, 07:15 AM   #41
SgtReed24
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
I never noticed as a kid, and honestly it still doesn't stand out to me. I just see it as green accents, no different than the fact that Mastodon had glaring big yellow and red decals on the side.
It's not even majority green. It's mostly black and that's why it works. That was never a big issue to me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprfan09 View Post
Fair enough, but I still dont think they should have got rid of the dragon suit completely. Especially considering how popular the green ranger was. He boosted the show's ratings and toy sales more than any other ranger.

What would have been cool was if the white ranger suit was more of a temporary power up mode. Oh well.
OH damn... never thought of that, mainly because power ups weren't really a thing in mmpr unless you count metallic armor (lol). What if since his green powers weren't enough to power a new zord, as zordon said in the mutiny, then... whenever he needed a zord he powered up into the white ranger and we got some kind of upgrade morph footage of the green ranger turning into the white ranger and then he can use the tiger zord.

I think that would have been awesome! Great idea

Last edited by SgtReed24; September 12th, 2017 at 07:15 AM.
SgtReed24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #42
turbo409uk
(Stephen)

Quote:
Fair enough, but I still dont think they should have got rid of the dragon suit completely. Especially considering how popular the green ranger was. He boosted the show's ratings and toy sales more than any other ranger.
Other than people who knew about Zyuranger, was the existence of a sixth ranger kept secret until the episode aired, or had they already started selling the toys?
turbo409uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 04:01 PM   #43
mmprfan09
One In A Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo409uk View Post
Other than people who knew about Zyuranger, was the existence of a sixth ranger kept secret until the episode aired, or had they already started selling the toys?
Tv episodes aired first and then the toys came quickly after. It was Green ranger that caused and sustained the Power Rangers craze.

Them keeping 5 of the 6 the zyuranger suits but scrapping the most popular one always made little sense to me, especially when they had a green zord perfectly sitting there. He was a 6th ranger anyway so it wouldnt have mattered much if he barely used it (I dont think tor was used much in dai ranger). They should have kept all the same suits or change the suits to dai (Mind you I dont think dai ranger suits would have fared well for the franchise with a sudden change so quickly, but at least it would have been consistent). White dai ranger footage was barely used anyway.

Season 3 might have been more complicated unless they would just digitally edit the white falconzord green haha.

If only saban was willing to shell out money for those updated dinozords in those zyu3 scans. Toys would have still sold based off new designs despite being the same animals (which made more sense). Who knows, it's possible they planned an upgraded dragonzord as well for all we know.

Mmpr probably would have been a better show and wouldnt have got as ridiculous as it did with all the bad editing and chopping from three different seasons and t-rex suits having the power from apes lol.
mmprfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #44
WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

The other issue was toy production. The rest of the world was still getting Green Ranger episodes as new when the Movie started airing in cinemas.

Bandai were struggling to meet Zyuranger action figure demands so changing suits and ordering new toys to replace the toys kids wanted was a no go.

Toys also had to be altered as per Bandai Japan (hence chest coins) so as to not ruin the Sentai brand.

Best they could do was change the zords so the US market got a new toy. Even then the Thunderzord sat on store shelves at times, especially outside the USA because Season 1 was all parents were aware of.

Joys of 90s toy commercial TVs.

So reworking Zyu2 footage with Dairanger mecha was an easy work around at the time.

So at no point were Dairanger suits fully considered adaptable. Loads of reasons, it just wasn't an option for Bandai/Saban as a whole.
WhiteMystechRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #45
Actar
Power Ranger

eBay
Yeah, but at that time, it was about maintaining the brand image, I do believe. Keeping the characters consistent and recognizable was one of the first things on their mind.
Actar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 05:09 AM   #46
Aaendi
Power Ranger

What bothers me is that they never actually show the Green Ranger losing his powers for good in Green No More. In fact, didn't Lord Zedd say the crystal was made from the green candle, meaning that Green Ranger should've been back to being full strength anyway?
Aaendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #47
archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Quote:

Them keeping 5 of the 6 the zyuranger suits but scrapping the most popular one always made little sense to me, especially when they had a green zord perfectly sitting there. He was a 6th ranger anyway so it wouldnt have mattered much if he barely used it (I dont think tor was used much in dai ranger). They should have kept all the same suits or change the suits to dai (Mind you I dont think dai ranger suits would have fared well for the franchise with a sudden change so quickly, but at least it would have been consistent). White dai ranger footage was barely used anyway.
Bandai was so weird back then. They went nuts to keep XYZ. Fed off the Green Ranger insanity. But didn't release the Gold Power Morpher.

It wasn't really quickly. MMPR S1 is still the longest running season PR has done. It's 2X longer than the current 2 year Neo-saban seasons. They had a lot of time to get people use to suit changes. I don't get it really. Everything else was changed. The Zords etc. are important to image. But the suits are that more special? I've always cared about everything as a whole.
archer9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #48
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
Everything else was changed. The Zords etc. are important to image. But the suits are that more special?
Lord Zedd was literally the only villain changed, and even then Rita returned twice within that same season. And the Dinozords had to be summoned every single time they formed the Thunder Megazord.

Merchandise isn't just toys, and branding has always been the Ranger costumes above all else. We've literally been told that the Zyuranger suits were all over that stuff and changing the face of the franchise immediately meant they were stuck with it. Moving product was then and still is now the top priority of the TV series.

Our personal opinions are never going to trump industry insider firsthand knowledge.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #49
red-thunder
Power Ranger

I just wish they would have waited until the Zyu2 footage ran out before switching to the Thunderzords. Seeing all that unused Zyu2 footage today makes me sad. All that good footage gone to waste just to sell toys.
red-thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #50
turbo409uk
(Stephen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaendi View Post
What bothers me is that they never actually show the Green Ranger losing his powers for good in Green No More. In fact, didn't Lord Zedd say the crystal was made from the green candle, meaning that Green Ranger should've been back to being full strength anyway?
Tommy said that after touching the crystal, he had enough power left for one more fight. The remains of the green candle was used by Goldar, in "Missing Green" to light the other candles, when he captured everyone but Jason.
turbo409uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:06 AM   #51
prspacedash
Power Ranger

green

We need to remember that the Lion Zord in Dairanger belonged to a green ranger and not a black one in MMPR 2.
prspacedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:07 AM   #52
Kaigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by prspacedash View Post
We need to remember that the Lion Zord in Dairanger belonged to a green ranger and not a black one in MMPR 2.
What does that even matter?
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:30 PM   #53
mmprfan09
One In A Million

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-thunder View Post
I just wish they would have waited until the Zyu2 footage ran out before switching to the Thunderzords. Seeing all that unused Zyu2 footage today makes me sad. All that good footage gone to waste just to sell toys.
Why didnt saban just tell toei to use the dairanger mecha in the zyu2 footage? It was custom footage anyway. Seems like Saban made things harder than it should have.
mmprfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 12:45 PM   #54
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Why didnt saban just tell toei to use the dairanger mecha in the zyu2 footage? It was custom footage anyway.
The plan was altered midway through. The Dairanger mecha were introduced earlier than expected.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 06:56 PM   #55
KCJ506
I'm a man of my word

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-thunder View Post
Same here. As a matter of fact, there's still some Zyu2 zord battles we haven't seen. Saliguana and Pumpkin Rapper. Though in the case of the latter, he was used in Season 1, but his zord fight was probably cut for time. I honestly wish they cut out the putty fight with Tommy instead.
KCJ506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:10 PM   #56
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

They did have a Pumpkin Rapper giant fight but that was in "Zedd's Monster Mash"; which by that point they were deep into the Dai stuff and just used it probably due to being left over and the idea they were doing a Halloween episode anyway. We haven't seen where the Daizyujin/Megazord stuff would have fit in, but the giant fight was sort of shown for him.
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 08:17 PM   #57
yami senshi youkaiou
Power Rangers Reloaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh Prime View Post
What does that even matter?
#BecauseBaconator?

On topice yeah I would have liked to have seen the Dairanger mechs in the Zyu2 stuff it was possible.

Then again I would have liked to have seen Toei make footage with the Zyurangers fighting Dairanger monsters on foot if that was possible.
yami senshi youkaiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #58
MegaBlue
That Mut-Org Guy

It's easy for us, NOW, to say that MMPR should have started the 'change on an annual basis' thing early on, because we've gotten the annual refresh of things for 21 years. However, back in 1993, Mighty Morphin WAS those suits, and those were THE Power Rangers. MMPR merchandise was flying off the shelves, to the point that TRU Corporate sent posters to the stores to put up, apologizing for not having anything in stock.

Why do you think any major change - new Rangers, new Zords, new villains - was made as big of a deal as it was? Heck, the change to Zeo took up, what, fifteen episodes' worth of content (the introduction of the Zeo Crystal, sending it in pieces through time, going back to find said pieces, Zeo's two-part premiere), and Zeo's premiere was touted as a VERY major event.

Changing to the Dairanger suits right away would have been brand suicide. Zyu>Dai>Kaku was the magic blend of themed Zords, because the transitions WORKED. "The Lion's a green thing in Dairanger." Make it black in the transformation footage and never mention it again. Done. It WORKED. "We need an Ultrazord for Season 3." "Bring back Titanus. Use the toys." "Sir, the Shogunzord toy is Pink." "Who cares?" They did, and it WORKED. We knew MMPR was a cheap production. We, as kids, didn't care, because it was live-action explosions and humor.

Now, we're old geezers, and we think that MMPR should have done what every series after it has because we want to see the Dairanger suits in action. I can understand why it wasn't imported - Yellow's fighting style and Blue's various nutshots of the grunts in the presented footage are two things that spring to mind right away, to say nothing of the dynasty that Zyu-based MMPR was building - and it's far too late to see them now without some VRT-style magic, so it's time to let it go.

--

Edit: You can't tell me that, as a kid, this didn't get you hyped up for the upcoming Thunder Megazord battle:
MegaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote