Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old September 15th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #1
andr0s81
100% Grade "A" Final Boss

4 eBay
Collection storage question

Hi All,

I have a rather sizeable collection, everything from MMRP to current, almost all MOTUC figures, beast, vehicles, and playset released, all the Voltron LD toys, and all the Sentai zords from Zyuranger to Carranger. I also have most of the vehicles from Turbo to current, along with every MMPR 2010, RPM, Super Legends, Samurai, Super Samurai, Megaforce, Dino Charge, and Dino Supercharge figure MOC. It literally takes more than an entire basement room to display/store it all in my home.

However with my divorce I'm being forced to sell the house and will have to locate to a much smaller apartment. I'm not going to be able to display but maybe a shelf or two and I'm looking at getting a storage unit. However my soon to be ex wife put her dolls in a climate controlled storage unit and they were ruined (which I like to think is karmic retribution for her being a terrible person). I'm not sure what caused it, but it's made me question storage unit options for storage a collection this size with this much meaning to me.

So does anyone have any recommendations? Is climate control worth it? Is inside vs. outside matter?

Thanks!
andr0s81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #2
⚡Taichi
Smells like a Rose...

32 eBay
I don't know how the hell a climate controlled one ruined her dolls, but yeah, karma.

I would say keep them out of the heat as much as possible though. I had my FX Luke and Vader sabers boxed and stored in the garage while doing work on the house and the heat out there caused the black grips to get tacky. I was able to rectify that, but some things might not like the heat as much.

So maybe a unit inside but not climate controlled? If there are units like that?
Taichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Alitain
God of Benevolence

Yeah, find a storage facility with indoor rooms and give that a shot. Honestly I'm not real good with storing stuff. All my things are in a storage space above the garage at my parents'. Which I'm not thrilled with, but mainly for all my books cause once I grabbed some books from storage and I heard one their spines crack so had me worried about the rest. But I don't have the space so...nothing I can do about it. And really all my other PR and such toys are just packed in a box and not stored to preserve as collectables anyways so not the couple times I've looked in on them they seem alright enough but who really knows.

So yeah, would say a storage unit indoors would be a good idea to try out. If your area has weather extremes, like whether it's known to get REALLY hot, or really cold during the year you may consider trying a climate controlled one. I really know nothing about such things so...yeah. Maybe your ex got a bad room, or maybe the controlled climate just wasn't enough against the weather, whatever happened to the dolls. Certainly go somewhere else perhaps.

You may also try visiting potential storage places during heights of weather? Though you can't do anything about visiting during really cold weather, but you could at least maybe pick a day that's really hot for your area, then go visit a facility you're considering getting maybe just a regular indoor room. Walk around, get a feel. Go in the room and close the door, wait a few minutes and maybe get a feel for the atmosphere and whether it might be more or less affected. That's all I can think of to check out a place. Good luck, I know how it feels having to downsize.
Alitain is offline   Reply With Quote