RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old September 6th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Silver_Tiger
Power Ranger

Power Rangers LLC strikes Shapeways

Well the inevitable has happened, Shapeways has been hit by Power Rangers LLC with a copyright strike. anything with the name "Power Rangers" has been removed, and this is most likely just the begining as some power ranger items uploaded to the site don't have the name "Power Rangers" and are still up at the moment. It kinda sucks, but I've made no money with the Power Ranger stuff I had up that got taken down...so it's not really that big of a loss for me, but for others who had their stuff taken down, it might be
Silver_Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:40 AM   #2
manson26
Flung Out of Space

WandererTJ on Instagram posted a screenshot of his models getting taken down.
manson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #3
HowlingSnail
Power Ranger

What's a Shapeways?
HowlingSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Silver_Tiger
Power Ranger

a 3d website, where you can purchase 3d printed objects https://www.shapeways.com/shops/iwish
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Kaigan

"How dare you make money off things we refuse to monetize ourselves!"

So sick of companies shutting down things they aren't doing themselves and that aren't hurting them in any way. So fucking petty.
Kaigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #6
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh Prime View Post
"How dare you make money off things we refuse to monetize ourselves!"

So sick of companies shutting down things they aren't doing themselves and that aren't hurting them in any way. So fucking petty.
Well it's not petty? It appears he was printing coins, weapons, and even some full scale weapons. All of which Bandai has been making or could definitely make in the future. They're not about to be undercut by people on the internet doing it themselves. You're less likely to buy the new versions of the MMPR figures if those weapons you've been after can be bought online in bootleg form.

The idea that copyright shouldn't be a problem as long as the company who holds the copyright isn't making things themselves is silly. Was this guy ever interested in paying a part of his profits to Saban? Doubtful.
Xenotome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 12:28 PM   #7
Silver_Tiger
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenotome View Post
Well it's not petty? It appears he was printing coins, weapons, and even some full scale weapons. All of which Bandai has been making or could definitely make in the future. They're not about to be undercut by people on the internet doing it themselves. You're less likely to buy the new versions of the MMPR figures if those weapons you've been after can be bought online in bootleg form.

The idea that copyright shouldn't be a problem as long as the company who holds the copyright isn't making things themselves is silly. Was this guy ever interested in paying a part of his profits to Saban? Doubtful.
I wasn't printing coins, you must be talking about the other guy... there is always going to be a gray area in these areas I made sure most of what i made wasn't available and was little more then "fan art" which is probably why my stuff didn't sell to well. But i know the intention is for licensed "fan art" to be made available in the future, this was strategic and had a purpose...there is much to really be discussed here, but I'll finish out with your last point...I don't normally up charge my stuff...IF I'm commissioned i only charge about 10 for my time, but I would love it if Bandai Reached out to fans, or Saban reached out to fans like me or others who are in to 3d and work with us and maybe not Shapeways but another platform of their own creation to actually legit sell stuff, and include helmet and prop makers of all kinds...I'd be cool with giving them any profits and would just be thankful to be part of the Power Ranger world in a legit way...I know others might not be to happy with that deal...but I'm just thinking out loud here

Edit: to be clear though, the only reason the stuff was found and taken down was it had Power Rangers in the name...I mean I don't wanna get to far ahead of myself.
Old September 10th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #8
Bob Rosland
Bob Rosland Industries

32 eBay
My Legacy Tiger coin was removed and I can confirm that they are only removing things that are tagged with 'Power Rangers' or have it in the name. They've also been going after other platforms like t-shirt websites, which isn't really new. I did a little experiment and named a couple designs after their sentai counterparts and didn't mention Power Rangers at all. Those same designs tagged with 'Power Rangers' got removed, while the ones that weren't were left alone. Whatever their process is, it isn't very thorough.

Anyway, the market for 3D models in the PR community is strange. You've got people that think because a few individuals release some inaccurate works for free, that they shouldn't have to pay for anything ever and you're scum if you ask for money for your work. On the other hand, you have a large group of people that actually will pay for models, but will hand them over to other people that will profit from printing them without doing any of the actual work. There are honest people that won't screw you over, but most in the PR community don't care. You're better off just printing and selling your own models out of your own home. That way you have a little bit more control over who has access to your work.

As far as "licensed fan art" goes, I model things that I like in my free time. If I can make money from them, great, I'm game for that. I don't see it happening, but it would be neat. CAD is my day job, so I already get paid to do what I like anyway, so 'working for exposure' isn't too big of a problem for me when it comes to Power Ranger/Super Sentai stuff.
Bob Rosland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 11:17 PM   #9
rowie4life
Power Ranger

Yeah they hit Thingiverse too, got my throne.
rowie4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #10
Garrek45
Power Ranger

Really? They are hitting Thingiverse as well?
I can understand Shapeways but Thingiverse is just models, they aren't being sold.

This does not bode well.
Garrek45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:39 AM   #11
Kylash327
No fancy avatar for me :(

You've gotta admit that Saban has given fans a LOT of leeway when it comes to fanmade stuff. They dont go after helmet or costume makers, and only really seem to go after stuff that could be confused with official merchandise being licensed.
Kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:18 AM   #12
Silver_Tiger
Power Ranger

OR..they get the lowest hanging fruit...I guess it's a matter of perspective
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #13
Garrek45
Power Ranger

Personally, I don't think they should be able to. Maybe with exception to replicas cast off an original prop.

My personal opinions aside, I don't think Saban has given any more leeway than most companies. Generally they don't go after fan made replicas.
It's just bad business. They aren't selling the product and because it is out there people invest more in to the brand, whether they are spending money or making money they are more invested in the brand.
It is all around good for the brand, whereas shutting them down is nothing but bad most of the time.
It's the same reason why most game companies, even if they make their game as hard as possible to mod, don't generally go after the actual mods.

All that aside, Thingiverse is again, just models, that is like shutting down everything in DeviantArt with Power Rangers in the title.
Frankly this just opens the doors for other companies to do the same and sets a dangerous president.
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #14
Silver_Tiger
Power Ranger

you can download a thingiverse model and sell it...not saying you should, just saying you could
Old September 11th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #15
Garrek45
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Tiger View Post
you can download a thingiverse model and sell it...not saying you should, just saying you could
You could also download a picture from DA and sell it as a Poster.
Old September 11th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #16
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrek45 View Post
My personal opinions aside, I don't think Saban has given any more leeway than most companies. Generally they don't go after fan made replicas.
Well Saban and Bandai are in the business of doing their own replicas now?

Quote:
It's just bad business. They aren't selling the product and because it is out there people invest more in to the brand, whether they are spending money or making money they are more invested in the brand.
Except they are selling the product. From that TJ's Instagram...

Quote:
It is all around good for the brand, whereas shutting them down is nothing but bad most of the time.
How? Can you explain to me why buying 3D printed products vitalizes and puts any money into the pockets of Saban & Bandai?

Quote:
It's the same reason why most game companies, even if they make their game as hard as possible to mod, don't generally go after the actual mods.
Because you still need to buy the game. They're getting their money. If people are selling 3D printed coins and figure weapons do you think they're likely to buy the official releases of them?

Quote:
All that aside, Thingiverse is again, just models, that is like shutting down everything in DeviantArt with Power Rangers in the title.
Frankly this just opens the doors for other companies to do the same and sets a dangerous president.
Because they're directly encroaching on their business. Power Rangers main means of making money are toys. Saban & Bandai aren't going to pull out the litigation team because someone can print out pictures. Hell, they can print out official pictures as posters. That's not really impacting them in anyway.
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Garrek45
Power Ranger

Quote:
Well Saban and Bandai are in the business of doing their own replicas now?
They are, they are also toys, toys with inaccuracies due to electronics or safety regulations.
While the market for Legacy Weapons and Replica Weapons sees some overlap, they are not the same market.
The same can be said for the Helmets, there is a league of difference between a Legacy Helmet and a proper resin Helmet.

You don't see Star Wars or Marvel shutting down Storm Trooper gear, Lightsabers, Jedi Robes, Iron Man helmets, Cap Shields even though they sell them all.
Quote:
Except they are selling the product. From that TJ's Instagram...
https://scontent-ort2-1.cdninstagram...49101312_n.jpg
When I said "They aren't selling the product" I was referring to the companies.
Yes, they are now "technically" selling 6" weapons...if you are lucky enough to find them, in the offline only very limited release, in one of the very few stores willing to stock them.

They however aren't selling blank coins, the separated Lance, Blaster Mode Ax, Combined Weapons or the Throne.
Quote:
How? Can you explain to me why buying 3D printed products vitalizes and puts any money into the pockets of Saban & Bandai?
I said it's good for the brand, not that it necessarily puts money in the companies pockets.
Merchandise for a brand is good, without merch the Brand dies down.
If people buy a 3rd party item they have spent money on that brand, that makes them more invested in that brand and more likely to purchase more merchandise to support it if given the chance.
If people make money selling a brand then they are more likely to make more items from that brand, which means they are more invested in seeing that brand do well.
Quote:
Because you still need to buy the game. They're getting their money. If people are selling 3D printed coins and figure weapons do you think they're likely to buy the official releases of them?
Yes, I'm sure this damn near $80 unfinished, unpainted weapon set is just killing any chance someone will buy the new figures with weapons.
And I'm sure Bandai is loosing so much money on the Blank Legacy Coin market as well.
These weapons are useless without the figures to go with them as are the coins without the Morpher.

So again, these are exactly the same, they got their damn money for the weaponless figures, if someone is willing to shell out another 80 god damn dollars for unfinished, unpainted weapons to go with them, maybe they should have gotten their asses on that instead of telling us we couldn't do it.
Old September 11th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #18
Xenotome
★Morgan McMichaels★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrek45 View Post
They are, they are also toys, toys with inaccuracies due to electronics or safety regulations.
While the market for Legacy Weapons and Replica Weapons sees some overlap, they are not the same market.
The same can be said for the Helmets, there is a league of difference between a Legacy Helmet and a proper resin Helmet.
Seriously? Because Saba, Dragon Dagger, Power Sword, & Blade Blaster are about as accurate as these things can get or are there people actually putting real blades on these things?

And Saban has never stepped into stopping the Helmet market have they? There are obvious difference between the Bandai helmet & one made by a helmet maker, that difference virtually does not exist in terms of the weapons.

Quote:
You don't see Star Wars or Marvel shutting down Storm Trooper gear, Lightsabers, Jedi Robes, Iron Man helmets, Cap Shields even though they sell them all.
They're both licenses to print money, it's cheaper to them to just let it continue than to get any lawyers involved.

Quote:
When I said "They aren't selling the product" I was referring to the companies.
Yes, they are now "technically" selling 6" weapons...if you are lucky enough to find them, in the offline only very limited release, in one of the very few stores willing to stock them.
So that means bootleg them because they're hard to get?

Quote:
They however aren't selling blank coins, the separated Lance, Blaster Mode Ax, Combined Weapons or the Throne.
They aren't selling those things YET.

Quote:
I said it's good for the brand, not that it necessarily puts money in the companies pockets.
Merchandise for a brand is good, without merch the Brand dies down.
If people buy a 3rd party item they have spent money on that brand, that makes them more invested in that brand and more likely to purchase more merchandise to support it if given the chance.
If people make money selling a brand then they are more likely to make more items from that brand, which means they are more invested in seeing that brand do well.
This is some real circular logic if I ever did see some.

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure this damn near $80 unfinished, unpainted weapon set is just killing any chance someone will buy the new figures with weapons.
And I'm sure Bandai is loosing so much money on the Blank Legacy Coin market as well.
These weapons are useless without the figures to go with them as are the coins without the Morpher.

So again, these are exactly the same, they got their damn money for the weaponless figures, if someone is willing to shell out another 80 god damn dollars for unfinished, unpainted weapons to go with them, maybe they should have gotten their asses on that instead of telling us we couldn't do it.
Who holds the copyright? They are fully within their rights ethically, morally, and legally to shut down any 3D printing operation of their copywritten material as they want. For anyone to really try to argue against that is arguing a losing battle.

I can understand expressing disappointment and using the resources while they're there, but they are 100% in the right of shutting it down. Toys are their bread and butter.
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #19
Garrek45
Power Ranger

Quote:
Seriously? Because Saba, Dragon Dagger, Power Sword, & Blade Blaster are about as accurate as these things can get or are there people actually putting real blades on these things?
No, but they are weighted different and made of different materials.
In the case of the Power Sword it is a completely different sculpt it is longer and thinner.

The toys are also not what we saw in the show, the show was resin or even foam and painted with a matte coat.
The toys are a good representation but some people actually want what was seen on screen.
I've thought about hitting the toys with a matte clear coat a few times because I'm not sure I like the gloss and chrome when the show versions did not have that.

You run into the same thing with Star Trek.
There is a great Metal Com Badge on the market. It looks great, has a good weight to it, attaches via magnets so you don't have to have a Velcro patch on the outside of the uniform. It is probably better than a Resin version in every way.
But you know what, some people still want the dull resin version with the air bubbles, sharpie marker paint job and a big square of Velcro on the back because it is what was on screen.

All that aside, Official products go out of stock and stop production, with no alternatives they either blow up in price or become unavailable.
Quote:
And Saban has never stepped into stopping the Helmet market have they? There are obvious difference between the Bandai helmet & one made by a helmet maker, that difference virtually does not exist in terms of the weapons.
They've never stepped in to stop 3d printing either.
They have a Resin Green Dragon Ranger Helmet coming, how long until they decide they don't like us making resin helmets?

If they get away with this then how long until they step in and tell Starlight that they can't sell Legacy Coins or the Communicators or the reproduction metal weapons?
There is no difference between a 3d printed weapon or coin and a metal plated coin or weapon or even resin coins.
Quote:
They're both licenses to print money, it's cheaper to them to just let it continue than to get any lawyers involved.
It's not only cheaper it's better for the brand. Entire businesses and communities have been created solely to produce or use Star wars replicas.
It has kept the brand alive through what otherwise would have been the death of the franchise.

Communities like the 501st and the Rebel Legion and the "bootleg" products to support them have not only kept the Star Wars brand alive but increased it's value.
Without these communities Star Wars would likely not be a relevant franchise in 2017. It certainly wouldn't have been bought by Disney for Billions of dollars.
Quote:
So that means bootleg them because they're hard to get?
Hard? Impossible for me. These figures will never be available within a 3 hour drive of me.
And yes. If they can't meet the demand or aren't even interested in doing so or if what they are producing is absolute crap.
These figures with weapons are rare for some and unavailable for most.

But that isn't what I said, we are talking about weapons for the 6" figures, figures someone already bought from Bandai.
People shouldn't have to drive 4 hours from their house searching for the honor to give Bandai another $20x5 for a 2nd set of figures so they can finally get the weapon that should have been included with the first figure.

If someone is willing to shell out $80 for a weapon set, Bandai should have spent their time coming up with a way to make that happen instead of coming up with a way to stop us from making it happen.
Quote:
They aren't selling those things YET.
Oh, I'm sorry are they going to rererelease just the black and blue ranger with the Ax/Lance in the other mode?
Are they going to ram the god damn cannon down our throats as a "BAF"?
No, obviously not. I sure as hell hope not to the 2nd one.
Quote:
This is some real circular logic if I ever did see some.
Not really, as I said above Star Wars would probably not be relevant in 2017 or certainly not be anywhere as relevant without the market and communities that have been built around it that you consider "bootleg".
Quote:
Who holds the copyright? They are fully within their rights ethically, morally, and legally to shut down any 3D printing operation of their copywritten material as they want. For anyone to really try to argue against that is arguing a losing battle.
Technically. Technically the person who modeled that particular model owned that model, no matter how close it might be to Bandai's model it isn't Bandai's model.
Technically, copyright laws haven't been properly updated since before the internet became existent.
Where "rights" lay on things like Game, Mods, Youtube, 3d Printing is far from even in the consideration of copyright laws and no one cares to fix it because it works just fine or in some cases better broken for those that can.

Copyright laws are so god damn archaic that Fan Films that are completely supported by the Copyright Owner have to be shutdown because otherwise it can be used as proof they have abandoned their rights.
Quote:
I can understand expressing disappointment and using the resources while they're there, but they are 100% in the right of shutting it down. Toys are their bread and butter.
I'm, in total agreement that it is "technically" their right to shutdown sales on Shapeways, it's not smart but it's technically their right.
Though technically, copyright laws don't have any ruling on 3d printing that I am aware of.

However, 3d models are not a product and Thingiverse should not have been touched as unless the models were ripped from a Bandai owned Game or scanned from a Bandai owned Item they have no real claim to it.

That aside, allowing this action go without any kind of push back means they will have no reason not to go after other products like Starlight Studio.
Because yes, they are technically fully within their "right" to demand Starlight stop selling their MMPR Products.
And once one company shows they can get away with this other companies will as well.
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #20
trekkieb47
The one and only Berry.

32 eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rosland View Post
They've also been going after other platforms like t-shirt websites, which isn't really new. I did a little experiment and named a couple designs after their sentai counterparts and didn't mention Power Rangers at all.
Yeah, they took down my "136 Heroes" shirt from TeePublic. Which really isn't a surprise since my original "119 Heroes" was licensed by them through WeLoveFine. So I knew I was taking a chance with that one.

Also had a Dead Pool drawing taken down by Disney. It's a risk you take when selling unofficial designs based off licensed properties.

People here really need to brush up on what copyright means. The companies are protecting their intellectual properties so no one but them can make money off of it. It's not screwing fans... they have an obligation as a business to protect their properties.
trekkieb47 is offline   Reply With Quote