RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old July 21st, 2016, 05:56 AM   #21
Shirubaa
Mr. Silver

32 eBay
Yellow's color is the only one that doesn't look over saturated.

Blue looks like he broke his leg.

I'm calling them by color. Are they using the original character's names?
Shirubaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:06 AM   #22
TealMystechRanger
Terror adhaerens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Zero View Post
These are hand-painted prototypes. The ones we'll get will most likely have less paint.
... awh, really? Because my one bugbear with these is how the detail isn't really brought out on them.

In any case, should I enjoy the film enough, I'll be investing in these. That they scale with the Legacy figures really helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirubaa View Post
Are they using the original character's names?
Yep.
TealMystechRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:19 AM   #23
⚡Taichi
Smells like a Rose...

32 eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquawaldo View Post
if these are the same build as the new legacy figures, do you think they will also retail for $20? and if they do, shouldn't they get just a bit more paint? the dino charge figures had a fair amount of paint and colors.

also... is it me or does it look like they have actual morphers on their suits. the promo pics looked like it was just the round coin thing, but the toy is build out like a morphed would be?
The promo shots have the morpher as well. It's just that the suits have more going on with the real ones.
Taichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:24 AM   #24
Diecast
Sigh

I think the mass produced version's paint apps are really going to decide for me if I like these figures or not. Lots of potential in the sculpt.
Diecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:28 AM   #25
The Real Torhu
Smug Life yo!

I think the part that bugs me is you can tell they used elements from the T-Rex helmet for Red, but then the rest of them don't look like much of anything.

I get that it's not just for older fans, but it's weird to see one look like a dinosaur mouth and the rest just sort of exist.
The Real Torhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:35 AM   #26
Diecast
Sigh

I'm guessing the morphing sequence has a little cgi moment where the animal head forms the helmet. Maybe all of the visors are supposed to be mouths? Triceratops kind of had a beak that matches the blue helmet a little. Black's helmet kind of looks like an elephant mouth (which is surprisingly creepy) but I don't know if mastadons/mammoths had the same kind of mouth.

I dunno. Can't really expect any studio to consider any design too iconic to change. Look at Transformers. The most basic, recognizable Transformer was Prime (well, or Soundwave) and they still ran him through a blender.
Diecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:03 AM   #27
Kylash327
No fancy avatar for me :(

The figures appear very flat, color wise. They didnt try replicating that weird look of the suits at all. At least use metallic paint, something. Even using that pearlized semi-translucent plastic they used on the SDCC Red Ranger figure would have made these way better.
Kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:20 AM   #28
⚡Taichi
Smells like a Rose...

32 eBay
While metallic paint would be nice... I have absolutely no idea how they would have replicated the movie look.

There is a ton of detail on those figures though... I'm sure we'll see some awesome customs down the road.
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:52 AM   #29
RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taichi View Post
While metallic paint would be nice... I have absolutely no idea how they would have replicated the movie look.

There is a ton of detail on those figures though... I'm sure we'll see some awesome customs down the road.
Completely agreed. The only way I could see it being done is if they were translucent with some sort of glitter specks inside the paint or something. The costumes simply seem difficult to replicate.

With that being said, I think the reason people are saying they look like bootlegs is very simply: the specific color of the ranger dominates the costume design with very little to break it up. That's why the details on these are so important. Customizers will at least be able to bring forth the details with the sculpts. They didn't skimp on that area.

Yellow looks the best out of these photos. I plan on getting these and might skip out on the smaller scale just because I want some consistency with my PR figures.
RedRanger87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 07:55 AM   #30
⚡Taichi
Smells like a Rose...

32 eBay
There's a hell of a lot of detail on those figures. You're right, Kylash is right... everyone is right in the fact that they're just too solid colored.

Hell, I'm even thinking right now how to print stickers for the chest emblems to mimic the "galaxy" look.
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:02 AM   #31
Judge Joker
At a peace conference

Here's hoping we get an Elizabeth Banks-Rita figure!
Judge Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:02 AM   #32
Lord-Zero
Chameliac was trolled...

eBay
@ Taichi: Could a mix of clear paint and glow in the dark glitter create a similar effect for the chest...? A black wash could also bring out the molded-in detail of the rest of the suit.

Anyway, yes, the colors are a bit too solid.
Lord-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:10 AM   #33
DinoChargeWhite3
Power Ranger

Quote:
These are hand-painted prototypes. The ones we'll get will most likely have less paint.
Well according to Jason Bischoff these are pending licensor approval and there's a chance paint can be added. They'll "fight for every last drop!"
DinoChargeWhite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:19 AM   #34
⚡Taichi
Smells like a Rose...

32 eBay
Quote:
@ Taichi: Could a mix of clear paint and glow in the dark glitter create a similar effect for the chest...? A black wash could also bring out the molded-in detail of the rest of the suit.

Anyway, yes, the colors are a bit too solid.
Ohhhh... that idea might work. But I think it was SUNGEL that did a really cool paint job for the Ressha for Toq-1 Black with black paint and glitter... so that could be an option too.

Black-washing is definitely on my list to do. You can see from Yellow that there's a ton of detail ripe for a washing.
Old July 21st, 2016, 08:56 AM   #35
Stuntastik30
VIP Rider

When these come out out I'm going to attempt to repaint them with the rest of the detail, cause the molded detail looks to be mostly there, it's just not painted. The rest of the silver strips and blue veins. Should be fun
Stuntastik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:01 AM   #36
Lord-Zero
Chameliac was trolled...

eBay
@ Taichi: Yes, those details are mostly visible on Yellow.

Black and Blue will benefit the most from the glitter.
Lord-Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 09:15 AM   #37
⚡Taichi
Smells like a Rose...

32 eBay
Yep. We'll just have to see when more photos surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Here's hoping we get an Elizabeth Banks-Rita figure!
She probably won't be in the Legacy 6.5" line... but most definitely in the 5" line.

But maybe the BAF parts... if they come with them... in the movie line could be either the Megazord or perhaps Rita.
Old July 21st, 2016, 10:21 AM   #38
Kylash327
No fancy avatar for me :(

A silver wash or something would bring out a lot of the details and make it have more depth. But i think that SDCC Red Ranger figure translucent/pearl plastic would look best.
Kylash327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 11:18 AM   #39
rb123
Corinth Ranger

I like the look of the Legacy Line. I wasn't happy about the idea of collecting every ranger ever (so they say) in 6.5" scale, but maybe I'll part with my 15th Anniversary figures and 20th Anniversary figures to make room for these guys. I hardly every take them out of their drawer, just not a fan of them.

I was mostly convinced by Bruno's video, he did a very nice job selling me on the idea. I'd like to believe that I could just buy one figure from each series, but I doubt I'll have that kind of self-control when I see them in person.
rb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2016, 02:29 PM   #40
LilyAnnaScott
Power Ranger Freak

I really hope they keep that color for Pink, that is a much better shade of Pink then the darker version we are always getting for the Pink Ranger figure...Yellow and Pink deff look the best in my opinion
LilyAnnaScott is offline   Reply With Quote