RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Merchandise
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old October 21st, 2015, 01:28 PM   #1
KRDK
Why So Serious?!

Subscription Box Discussion Thread - Loot Crate and beyond

Lootcrate, Nerdblock, 1UP Box, Om Nom Box, etc, subscription boxes have been taking the world by storm the last couple of years.

I am relatively new to them but have been subscribed to Lootcrate the last couple of months.

Use this to discuss any subscription box services.

Just got this month's Loot Crate and thought it was really good. All items were exclusive which was nice.

Last edited by KRDK; October 21st, 2015 at 05:42 PM.
KRDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 05:59 PM   #2
manson26
Flung Out of Space

I got the October Loot Crate today. It's much better than the last 2, for sure. I'd like to try Nerdblock, but those other services are just too pricey for me.

I think the Sonic Spork is a weird item, lol.
manson26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:05 PM   #3
KRDK
Why So Serious?!

I am going to try OmNomBox since I like interesting foods and always open to new stuff. Some of the other food services are out of my price range though. One thing I like about Lootcrate is that ones like this one where all the items are exclusive are worth it and then some.
Old October 22nd, 2015, 01:18 AM   #4
Megaship
Texas Ranger fan times 2

I don't like not knowing what I am getting before I buy it, when it can be from anything, not when it comes to everything is from one thing. In other words, The Loyal Subjects Power Rangers would be ok, but Loot Crate- no.
Megaship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 03:16 AM   #5
DoubleFace
VIP Rider... BLACK!

^Exactly my point. Good example is the recent Super Mario 50th Anniversary Box. If I didn't know the contents, I would probably buy it and not be quite pleased. I'm not a fan of soft things and Amiibo is something you can basically buy outside this exclusive sale. Hat is kinda nice and t-shirt is the best element of the set (I'm sucker for practical items).

Lootcrate? Two words: Stuart Ashen. I basically learned from him about those subscription boxes, and his honest-to-God reviews assured me, that this is a risky business. You may know the themes and franchises to expect, but still there is a chance you will get box full of crap. Prime example is Unite from May. Avengers and Power Rangers? No complaining. But what I'm getting in a return? T-shirt, that's cool, but with trademark logos all over the place (I haven't seen any on Optimus Prime t-shirt from July). Then Avengers ice cubes, Marvel shoelaces (I bet your friends will see from a distance any Marvel characters on your laces), some jigsaw puzzle and Team Fortress badges. Surprisingly, next three boxes were actually pretty awesome and ironically I was in US those months so I could order them with no problem. Those crates concentrated on quality rather than quantity. Villains 2 had Los Pollos Hermanos apron, cool Venom mug and nice looking Hydra pin.

My advice for Lootcrate would be revealing items beforehand, so they would know from the sales what their customers want, and what they dislike. Second, quality over quantity. I think people would rather get three nice items rather than another sweatband, stress ball, jigsaw puzzle, air freshener (I guess Star Trek fans were pretty pissed off that their item in Heroes 2 was Mr Spock air freshener) or INFLATABLE FUCKING CROWN (that's quote from Ashens). Third, don't waste crate budget on making badges, magazines or colorful boxes and invest it on items instead. Badges are ugly and pretty much useless, magazine can be provided as downloadable content using, for example QR code and box, well, is a box. You throw it away, so why waste ink on something, that is a shipping box.
DoubleFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 09:22 PM   #6
KRDK
Why So Serious?!

I actually like the mystery of not knowing what is inside. This months was worth the 20 bucks and then some.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:22 AM   #7
manson26
Flung Out of Space

KRDK wrote: View Post

I actually like the mystery of not knowing what is inside. This months was worth the 20 bucks and then some.
The only reason I signed up was because I also like surprises in the mail.

If you don't like the system, don't buy. It's as simple as that. A company will never please 100% of the audience. Loot Crate does send out emails throughout the month listing the brands that will be in the box, and sometimes tells what's in the box without completely spoiling the mystery.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:35 AM   #8
andr0s81
100% Grade "A" Final Boss

4 eBay
My wife was with LootCrate for a while, but when they stopped putting shirts in everyone and started the Level Up program, she moved on.

Personally I get 1UP Box, it's got some cool stuff in it usually, though this month wasn't as great as the past few, and it's cheaper than most of the others (while still including a shirt).
andr0s81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:35 AM   #9
Becker
Power Ranger

eBay
My Geek Box in the united kingdom is really good
Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 08:11 AM   #10
manson26
Flung Out of Space

andr0s81 wrote: View Post

My wife was with LootCrate for a while, but when they stopped putting shirts in everyone and started the Level Up program, she moved on.

Personally I get 1UP Box, it's got some cool stuff in it usually, though this month wasn't as great as the past few, and it's cheaper than most of the others (while still including a shirt).
This past month had a shirt.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 11:43 AM   #11
andr0s81
100% Grade "A" Final Boss

4 eBay
manson26 wrote: View Post

This past month had a shirt.

Yeah but they arent doing them every month, the kast 2 or 3 didnt have one. She felt it just wasnt worth it anymore.
andr0s81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 03:42 PM   #12
KRDK
Why So Serious?!

What are peoples favorite boxes to get? What are ones you want to try? I want to try some of the food ones, namely the asian snack ones.
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:47 PM   #13
manson26
Flung Out of Space

andr0s81 wrote: View Post

Yeah but they arent doing them every month, the kast 2 or 3 didnt have one. She felt it just wasnt worth it anymore.
I can tell you right now, the January Loot Crate will have a t-shirt. Loot Crate and Threadless had a t-shirt design contest to design an X-Files shirt. I entered the contest
Old October 25th, 2015, 02:11 PM   #14
GaoHunter
KiRyoku Tenshin!

eBay
I got a three-month Loot Crate subscription as a birthday gift. The first month, Summon, I wasn't really impressed with. But I got Time yesterday and love every item in it. I probably won't re-up once the sub ends though. If it's my money, I like to know what I'm getting for it.
GaoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #15
KRDK
Why So Serious?!

I guess I am easily pleased. Closest thing I have to Christmas lol.
Old October 27th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #16
ShadowNeko003
~NYAH~

eBay
Loot Crate was ok. I got the September one for free via Crunchyroll. It was ok, but if I would have paid for it, it would have been disappointing. I literally saw the Impala toy they had in the crate at Hot Topic (without the "exclusive" sticker"). I paid for October's Time was satisfy cause I love BttF, although I'm not a Pop figure fan. I like the spork though. I needed another one. I could have cared less for the Bill and Ted shirt though.

Sadly though, I forgot to cancel and got charged for November, which didn't interest me so I ended up moving it to December (hopefully something good) and cancelled it after Dec.

I'd like to try out NerdBox or any of the snack food boxes, but without knowing in advance what type of items (like 1 Tshirt, 2 toys, 1 pack of tcg, etc) will be included, I won't sign up.
ShadowNeko003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2015, 10:08 PM   #17
KRDK
Why So Serious?!

That exclusive plate is huge for Supernatural fans though. Nice to know that you have something that has not been released.
Old October 28th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #18
manson26
Flung Out of Space

ShadowNeko003 wrote: View Post

Loot Crate was ok. I got the September one for free via Crunchyroll. It was ok, but if I would have paid for it, it would have been disappointing. I literally saw the Impala toy they had in the crate at Hot Topic (without the "exclusive" sticker"). I paid for October's Time was satisfy cause I love BttF, although I'm not a Pop figure fan. I like the spork though. I needed another one. I could have cared less for the Bill and Ted shirt though.

Sadly though, I forgot to cancel and got charged for November, which didn't interest me so I ended up moving it to December (hopefully something good) and cancelled it after Dec.

I'd like to try out NerdBox or any of the snack food boxes, but without knowing in advance what type of items (like 1 Tshirt, 2 toys, 1 pack of tcg, etc) will be included, I won't sign up.
The Impala at Hot Topic had a different license plate on the car. That's what made the Loot Crate one exclusive.
Old October 28th, 2015, 10:17 PM   #19
KRDK
Why So Serious?!

Yep. This one had the original Kansas plate from when John bought the car. The one at Hot Topic has the Ohio one.
Old November 7th, 2015, 01:01 AM   #20
RobbyToxic
Not So Grump Ranger

DoubleFace wrote: View Post

Lootcrate? Two words: Stuart Ashen.
I love Ashens!

I am probably the target, ideal customer for any of the above mentioned box services...but I'm not a fan. Several times people have tried to get them for me as gifts, or convince me to sign-up, or whatever, and I pass every time (usually to their dismay, because again, I am probably the guy they have on the drawing board when they come up with this stuff.)

I just can't get into it. I get it...it's "FUN!" And it's a surprise. But, I honestly get just as much of a thrill getting a monthly magazine in my mailbox.

I guess if I was still in highschool it would be much more appealing to me. Which shouldn't be construed as me labelling it as a "toy for high schoolers" or something... a lot of people I know, who are around my age and at the same place in life, subscribe to them. I just...idk. I love Zelda, but I can't picture a single scenario where I'd wear a cotton Zelda sweatband on my wrist. And I'm picky with t-shirts; I have to try them on to make sure I like them and they fit well. So getting a new t-shirt each month sounds great in theory, but considering that they're of varying fits and manufacturers, that's a pass too.

Some of them seem very cool. I got about one million messages a few months back when the Batman crate dropped...and I did feel a slight sting of jealousy. (Did you see it? Do you wish you had lootcrate now?) But that's one month. I think the month after was a Terminator box that (courtesy of Ashen's review) I probably would have thrown entirely in the trash.

And it's not just that they're a gamble for the money that dissuades me, either. My office has filled floor to ceiling with Batman, books, Star Wars, Video Games, and now PR since getting back into collecting that. If anything, I need to start the dreaded D word, downsizing. Adding little trinkets and hats and knickknacks each month would be disastrous; I'd probably feel too guilty to throw much of it away and they would eat at precious floor and shelf space.

I can totally understand why these things blew up in popularity, and I can appreciate why beginning collectors and pop culture junkies would jump on board, but they're just not for me.
RobbyToxic is offline   Reply With Quote