Home Menu

Menu

Old March 7th, 2019, 01:21 PM #21
> Cuchulainn
century color

Cuchulainn
century color

What a cute dynamic. Ravi and Zoey trying so hard to compete with each other while Devon is just happy to be there like a kid in a toy shop.
Cuchulainn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 02:03 PM #22
> Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

"You've never done a piece of laundry in your life."

Imagine: having your wig snatched clean off your head by your own mother!

Interesting, too, that the conflict seems to be between Yellow and Blue. Typically, it's always a case of Red's ego clashing with another ranger's ego. This is genuinely a refreshing turn.
Takaishi Takeru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 02:20 PM #23
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

^ Really refreshing for Power Rangers, this time is not about the Red Ranger ego like the There is no "I" in Team !!!
Akumaru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 02:35 PM #24
> csa1985
Power Ranger

csa1985
Power Ranger

in a little bummed cause i wonít be able to watch live.
csa1985 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 02:47 PM #25
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

csa1985 wrote: View Post

in a little bummed cause i wonít be able to watch live.
I could barely catch it when it was on at 12 due to doing other things. Now I will never catch it when it airs at 8 AM. People do usually say to just DVR it, but I don't have DVR.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:31 PM #26
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Zeo Cereal wrote: View Post

At the time, I didn't. The Cassidy & Devin bits felt too in-line with the Disney Channel aesthetic (which was further reenforced by High School Musical).
I absolutely hated Cassidy and Devin, and if I just check? Nope, I still do.

MerCurryMeme wrote: View Post

Also, y'know what? Devon swooning over the Cheeta Blaster endears me to the thing too. Looks like it's cockpit only so far.
Of course it is.
The show doesn't know how to do zord battles anymore. They're lumped with toys they have to sell, and that's the point of the scene, not the actual action. It's how it's been done for 8 years now. It's not going to change any time soon.
Peter is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:40 PM #27
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

The fact that they're using the

Go Busters cockpit is a good sign, though.

Because that means they are gonna use some footage of the Go Busters, which means the focus won't be all on the new toys. They won't be standing against a grey wall showing off the new toys the whole time. It's not perfect, but it's better.

How much footage they'll use, we don't know yet.
AkaGreen is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:42 PM #28
> kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

kibapower
Unce! Unce! Unce!

Peter wrote: View Post

You're against the concept anyway. It's be worth hearing about any comedics duo/foils that you liked.

For me, Cassidy and Devin kind of felt like much of Dino Thunder: obligatory praises for being "progressive" while having little that stood out or that was organically memorable.
kibapower is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 03:49 PM #29
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

kibapower wrote: View Post

You're against the concept anyway. It's be worth hearing about any comedics duo/foils that you liked.
As big a fan I am of Bulk and Skull, Cassidy and Devin only ever interested me when they WEREN'T being funny.

Comedy in Power Rangers has never been able to be forced, only the right actors have been able to pull it off. Paulie and Narvy were masterful, Keith Robinson and Milo Cawthorne were serviceable, Kelson was hit-or-miss, Victor and Monty were just depessing.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:17 PM #30
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE

dark ranger 86
I AM HERE

AkaPrimoKanyeWest wrote: View Post

As big a fan I am of Bulk and Skull, Cassidy and Devin only ever interested me when they WEREN'T being funny.

Comedy in Power Rangers has never been able to be forced, only the right actors have been able to pull it off. Paulie and Narvy were masterful, Keith Robinson and Milo Cawthorne were serviceable, Kelson was hit-or-miss, Victor and Monty were just depessing.
All Bulk and Skull ever did for 6 seasons was get food poured over them, fall down get chased or turn into something. I wouldn't say Paul or Narvy were masterful in doing that. I think nostalgia and con appearances clouds the perception of Bulk and Skull for older fans. Power Rangers just relies on cartoony slapstick humor for the kiddies to laugh at. To us older fans Victor and Monty aren't funny, and lord knows they weren't, the five years old that watched them on their screens will think they are and grow up with the same perception older fans have on Bulk and Skull.
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:20 PM #31
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

dark ranger 86 wrote: View Post

All Bulk and Skull ever did for 6 seasons was get food poured over them, fall down get chased or turn into something.
That was the writing. The performances were up to the actors, and they brought far more life to the bullies than we ever would have gotten otherwise.

Saying Paulie and Narvy didn't possess adept comic intuition is like saying Jason David Frank wasn't a good martial artist.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:20 PM #32
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

Victor and Monty were just depessing.
This man gets it
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:28 PM #33
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

All Bulk and Skull ever did for 6 seasons was get food poured over them, fall down get chased or turn into something. I wouldn't say Paul or Narvy were masterful in doing that.
They brought personality to the roles, and they actually grew as characters. That's more than I can say for Victor and Monty.
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:57 PM #34
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

Takaishi Takeru wrote: View Post

"You've never done a piece of laundry in your life."

Imagine: having your wig snatched clean off your head by your own mother!

Interesting, too, that the conflict seems to be between Yellow and Blue. Typically, it's always a case of Red's ego clashing with another ranger's ego. This is genuinely a refreshing turn.
Made me think of Sky, which I guess shouldn't surprise me being another Blue, but it was really fun watching the Commander yank the laundry right out from under him. His expression was amusing.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and the Cheetah Blaster looked way bigger than I imagined in that scene. Kind of...too big really? Maybe it was just the scene or something, cause the trailer showing Devon using it didn't seem so bad, but yeah.

My other concern with the episode is how it'll likely end up being Devon as leader. Right now he clearly doesn't have any interest in the job. And it feels like the Commander is going to choose him simply because he's "a real trooper" and because he didn't likely make a fool of himself trying to prove he's "leadership" material like the other two might. Which, mind, given what little we've seen of his character could be a good thing depending on how it plays out by giving him the responsibility that makes him shape up...but I'm nervous. We'll see.

Last edited by Alitain; March 7th, 2019 at 05:03 PM.
Alitain is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 04:58 PM #35
> dark ranger 86
I AM HERE

dark ranger 86
I AM HERE

That was the writing. The performances were up to the actors, and they brought far more life to the bullies than we ever would have gotten otherwise.

Saying Paulie and Narvy didn't possess adept comic intuition is like saying Jason David Frank wasn't a good martial artist.
Oh I'm not discrediting Paulie and Narvy their comic intuition they made Bulk and Skull classic characters. I just don't find walking into a room and having a cake fall on them being masterful. If anything they set the standard in PR as Marah and Kapri, Cassidy and Devin, Victor and Monty all followed they same template gave the same enthusiasm in their performance. The difference is most of us older fans saw the latter comedic duos not through the eyes of a five year old but as more mature young adults so the same exact antics us older fans saw Bulk and Skull do as kids on difference faces just isn't funny and considered lame and annoying.

Personally I never laughed at anything Victor and Monty did and thought their comedy was dated and done for a cheap laugh and could've been written better. Like way better. But then I thought to myself that's the 32 year old in me talking and my sense of humor has evolved since a child. And maybe they're 5,6,7 year olds out there who genuinely think Victor and Monty are funny. Plus I'll give credit where it's due and say Chris Reid and Caleb Bendit put their all in those characters. However it's like what you said it's writing.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to take a shower because I feel dirty defending Victor and Monty in something.
dark ranger 86 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:01 PM #36
> AkaGreen
JusticeForK

AkaGreen
JusticeForK

Now if you'll excuse me I have to take a shower because I feel dirty defending Victor and Monty in something.
As you should.
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:01 PM #37
> Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Lordoftherangers wrote: View Post

"How would you know? You've never done laundry a day in your life."
That's some mom burn right there.
Storm Eagle is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:12 PM #38
> stingerstrike77
Power Ranger

eBay
stingerstrike77
Power Ranger

eBay

An episode into beast Morphers and Iím already coming up with ideas for when Blaze and Roxy wake up after their avatars had been defeated so I was wondering what if Nate was able to fuse Lion and Frog DNA with Blaze and Roxy turning them into the navy and green rangers probably not gonna happen but hey itís always fun to come up with creative ideas
stingerstrike77 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:20 PM #39
> SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

Peter wrote: View Post

I for one am shocked by this totally surprising information. :p

Anyway I loved the new clip. The fact Ravi and Zoey are the ones trying to be the leader and Devon is more interested in the equipment is pretty great.
SonicBlueRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2019, 05:22 PM #40
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Oh I'm not discrediting Paulie and Narvy their comic intuition they made Bulk and Skull classic characters. I just don't find walking into a room and having a cake fall on them being masterful.
Again, you're describing the gag, which they had nothing to do with. The material they were given was just as lame then as it would be now, that's not even in question.

What Schrier and Narvy did so well was in between the gags. Moments like Tommy stumbling around after his encounter with the Wizard of Destruction asking where his friends are and Bulk giving him an eat-shit-and-die was the kind of funny you can't put in a script. To bring understated humor like that on a consistent basis deserves proper acknowledgment.