Closed

Old March 18th, 2018, 08:57 PM #41
> ⚡Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay
Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay

Kelly in general should write more X-books. She just gets the characters. Wouldn't mind seeing her on Gold or Blue at some point.
Old March 18th, 2018, 09:00 PM #42
> Dragonkent17
Tranquilo!!

Dragonkent17
Tranquilo!!

I'm expecting Kelly Thompson to write Jessica Jones and other unannounced books in Fresh Start
Old March 18th, 2018, 09:01 PM #43
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

I wouldn't mind her replacing Marc Guggenheim on X-Men Gold, or being a part of a relaunched Adjectiveless/Uncanny.

If I recall correctly there are rumors that she's writing X-Factor, aren't there?
Old March 18th, 2018, 10:25 PM #44
> Siriursus
Power Ranger

Siriursus
Power Ranger

Harpsikord wrote: View Post

I am! The writing and art is freaking stellar.
Agreed on both accounts. I enjoy the fact that it's relationship drama without it seeming like we're supposed to be #teamRemy or #teamRogue. Instead, it's just two people with legit concerns and legit reasons for the past, present and future of their relationship.

As a big Gambit fan, it's refreshing that he's not being portrayed as simply a waif philanderer that sheepishly goes about his day.
Old March 19th, 2018, 02:49 AM #45
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

I wouldn't mind her replacing Marc Guggenheim on X-Men Gold, or being a part of a relaunched Adjectiveless/Uncanny.

If I recall correctly there are rumors that she's writing X-Factor, aren't there?
First I've heard about that one - and X-Factor probably won't even be happening soon, Jamie Madrox has a mini instead.
Old March 19th, 2018, 02:53 AM #46
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Spidey Daily Strip: At last, the Spider-transfusion's effects have worn off, Bruce is the Hulk again, and just as Peter is being throttled by three pythons!

The blogger of the "Hellz Yeah" Spider-Blogs on Tumblr listened to the Spider-Talk podcast and can verify that Gerry Conway did indeed leave RYV because of the mandate to make MJ Venom. This came after the office apparently went into panic mode as the book slumped in sales after just the first issue (though sales were bad for the company as a whole at the time), Conway was told the entire direction of the book was then called into question while he was working on Issue Six. He wanted smaller-scale stories about the family, and he was in no mood to play politics.

He also posted a transcript of what Conway had said on the podcast

There was this weird thing where the book was selling, but it had dropped off in sales. From the initial first issue. As had most of Marvelís books by that point, but this had dropped off fairly dramatically. It had gone from a fairy high first issue sale where they had multiple covers and it had dropped down 20% or 30% so they were concerned about it.

And they looked and they saw that the variant cover with MJ as Venom had sold the best of all the covers. So they wanted to suddenly have Mary Jane become Venom that was what they wanted to do for the book.

And I was like ĎWhat? Thatís not the book I signed up forí I had signed up for a book about parents raising a small kid and the focus was going to be on the family and the small kid.

And they started questioning while we were still writing and producing issue six the whole direction of the book. And I was not interested in changing the direction of the book so early in the process. You know I figured letís give it a year or two. Weíre not talking about a book that wasnít selling well enough to continue. Weíre talking about a book that wasnít selling well enough to make everybody else feel like it was the number one title that it should be in their minds.

But Marvel as a whole was going through a sales slump so it was just a weird situation. And I felt the reaction was too reactive to the marketplace and then we got sucked up into the Venomverse storyline where everything had to be tied to Venom and I just didnít want to have to keep changing storylines to respond to marketing ideas that to me were less important than just developing a good series that people would find and embrace hopefully on its own terms.

I felt the people I left were in a bad situation where the marketing end of things were pushing them in directions that editorially they probably didnít want to go.

I think Nick (Lowe)ís interest was in doing a book about this family and that was the book we were going to do.

But Iím at the point now where I just want to write the stories that I want to write. I want to tell the stories that I can be invested in as much as anyone else.
https://hellzyeahthewebwieldingaveng...ng-spider-talk

Last edited by Cameron Samurai; March 19th, 2018 at 03:31 AM.
Old March 19th, 2018, 04:55 AM #47
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

CBR have an article about the origin of the name Peanuts.
https://www.cbr.com/peanuts-charles-...looking-strip/
Including the very first strip!

No zigzag design on his t-shirt.
Old March 19th, 2018, 05:40 AM #48
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Looks like Robbie Rodriguez just confirmed the end of Spider-Gwen on Instagram, and teases the last issue will try to ape a bit of John Romita Sr.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgfazRFlR3P/
Old March 19th, 2018, 06:39 AM #49
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

The blogger of the "Hellz Yeah" Spider-Blogs on Tumblr listened to the Spider-Talk podcast and can verify that Gerry Conway did indeed leave RYV because of the mandate to make MJ Venom. This came after the office apparently went into panic mode as the book slumped in sales after just the first issue (though sales were bad for the company as a whole at the time), Conway was told the entire direction of the book was then called into question while he was working on Issue Six. He wanted smaller-scale stories about the family, and he was in no mood to play politics.
This complaint he has I just don't get. You can still make the story about the family and have MJ get Venomized. It would in fact still be about the family and be about them dealing with the mom going venom. Unless they were saying make it solely a MJ Venom title from then on, it doesn't seem like it should have held him back from his initial plan.

If I'm being honest, the Venom MJ part was the only thing that peaked my interest about the book, too, so maybe they were onto something.
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:13 AM #50
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

I liked the Venom MJ stuff too...Conway set it up very well, and it was great to see at least one take on the character finally overcome her symbiote phobia and make the thing bend to her will. It was an empowering storyline and genuine character development.

Preview of Superman#43, Maya calls Kathy "bacon" rather than her code-name Beacon, and there's a shot taken to S/W from Lois and Clark

https://www.cbr.com/preview-superman-43-boyzarro/amp/
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:38 AM #51
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Wait, since when did Kathy even HAVE a codename, that's new. Definitely makes you wonder if she and Jon will be joining a Tomasi scripted Teen Titans.

And I can't say I'm surprised that Spider-Gwen is ending. Question is, will the character get a place somewhere else.
Old March 19th, 2018, 07:57 AM #52
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Digifiend wrote: View Post

First I've heard about that one - and X-Factor probably won't even be happening soon, Jamie Madrox has a mini instead.
Ah, I found it - the writer who is on Exiles was asked to pitch X-Factor, but they went with a different writer and concept.

https://youtu.be/G03g_oW9u2k?t=46m13s

People think it's either by Rosenberg (spinning out of New Mutants and Madrox?) or Thompson.
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:01 AM #53
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Ah, I found it - the writer who is on Exiles was asked to pitch X-Factor, but they went with a different writer and concept.

https://youtu.be/G03g_oW9u2k?t=46m13s

People think it's either by Rosenberg (spinning out of New Mutants and Madrox?) or Thompson.
Speaking of New Mutants, I tried to read that it kinda repelled me. It jumps in mid-story with no real setup or explanation. Not a good first issue in the "what the hell is happening" sense.
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:06 AM #54
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

Speaking of New Mutants, I tried to read that it kinda repelled me. It jumps in mid-story with no real setup or explanation. Not a good first issue in the "what the hell is happening" sense.
I thought that the issue was a good one. It was well written and had some pretty great characterization, and we don't often see the dark, magical side of the Marvel universe outside of Doctor Strange... but you're right. The set-up was awful, and I think that was intentional. It jumped in without a 'forming the team' kind of thing going for it, but I think that's what they WANTED to do to set up the mystery of whatever reason Karma and Magik had for bringing this team together.

Also, Karma's a dick.
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:13 AM #55
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

I'll wait for more to properly judge the writing as a whole, but on its own, the first issue threw me off. Throwing literally nothing but questions (especially "Why are Strong Guy and Rictor calling themselves New Mutants?") at me just kinda... eh.
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:13 AM #56
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Dark Horse have announced Incredibles 2 tie-in comics. Wouldn't IDW or Marvel have made more sense?
https://www.newsarama.com/39116-incr...ark-horse.html
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:17 AM #57
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

I'll wait for more to properly judge the writing as a whole, but on its own, the first issue threw me off. Throwing literally nothing but questions (especially "Why are Strong Guy and Rictor calling themselves New Mutants?") at me just kinda... eh.
Rictor actually started out as a New Mutant - Boom Boom too. Strong Guy was the only one there that hadn't been a New Mutant at any point, though I wonder why he was picked over some others. Maybe because the only muscle guys for the New Mutants and X-Force are spoken for?
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:20 AM #58
> Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

Miraculous Bikkun
Reporting for duty!

You know, I remembered Boom-Boom being a New Mutant for like three seconds before they became X-Force, but Rictor slipped my mind.

(Man, but this board could use some new emojis. There's no real good sheepish ones but a half dozen angry ones.)
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:22 AM #59
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Rictor actually started out as a New Mutant - Boom Boom too. Strong Guy was the only one there that hadn't been a New Mutant at any point, though I wonder why he was picked over some others. Maybe because the only muscle guys for the New Mutants and X-Force are spoken for?
Magik probably picked him because they'd been working together in New Tian recently. Karma did point out that they would've preferred Sunspot, Cannonball, and a couple of others that were already busy elsewhere.
Old March 19th, 2018, 08:28 AM #60
> Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Harpsikord
Prince of Evil

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Magik probably picked him because they'd been working together in New Tian recently. Karma did point out that they would've preferred Sunspot, Cannonball, and a couple of others that were already busy elsewhere.
That was a reference to all of the other active New Mutants - except Warpath. Cannonball and Sunspot in the Avengers, Magma in the X-Men (Gold's B Team), and Skids in SHIELD. Though, Magik picking Boom Boom, Rictor, and Strong Guy very well may be because of New Tian.

That said - I was really not okay with Shan and her holier-than-thou attitude in this issue. Sure, she's their boss, but it isn't like her other employee didn't just nearly cause a Zombie apocalypse.
Closed