Menu

Old February 10th, 2017, 12:58 PM #1
> Deltron
My Only Love

Deltron
My Only Love

Kevin Smith Developing Jay and Silent Bob Reboot

http://screenrant.com/kevin-smith-ja...sequel-reboot/

Kevin Smith was part of the early-1990s “Sundance Kids” class of Generation-X filmmakers, alongside Quentin Tarantino, Richard Linklater and others, who broke big amid the mainstreaming moment of American independent film. But while many of his contemporaries have moved on to new phases of their careers, Smith has largely remained in his comfort zone: Making films with his own inner circle, directing superhero TV shows and selling speaking tours, podcasts and merch to his established fanbase – all to impressive success.

Now, it seems as though Smith is once again looking to dive back into his own nostalgia backlog: Posting a screencap to instagram implying that he’ll bring Jay & Silent Bob back from oblivion for a new adventure.

In the characteristically candid text accompanying the image, Smith explained that the new Jay & Silent Bob film – in which the title characters will return to Hollywood in order to thwart a reboot of the Bluntman & Chronic movie whose production they looked to thwart in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back – will be replacing the planned sequel to Clerks and sequel-series to Mallrats, both of which have been abandoned in pre-production:

“This is not a drill! This is an actual image from my laptop! Yes, Kids – @jayandsilentbob are coming back! … I’m getting eager to play with my old toys again in the inter-connected View Askewniverse I spent the first half of my career creating. And so all last month, I had the time of my life laughing while writing “Jay and Silent Bob Reboot” – a fun flick in which the Jersey boys have to go back to Hollywood to stop a brand new reboot of the old “Bluntman & Chronic Movie” they hated so much. It’s a tongue-in-cheek, silly-ass satire that pokes fun at the movie business’s recent re-do obsession, featuring an all-star cast of cameos and familiar faces! And I already met with the good folks at Miramax and they’re into it, so I’m hoping we’ll be shooting in the summer!”

Portrayed by Smith himself and longtime collaborator Jason Mewes, Jay and Silent Bob originated as side characters in his debut feature Clerks and reprised that role in his follow-up Mallrats; their cross-film presence creating a shared continuity that Smith and his fans refer to as the View Askewniverse. They subsequently re-appeared in Chasing Amy, where their serving as the inspiration for the comic book superheroes “Bluntman & Chronic” was a key subplot, and became part of the main cast in the religious satire Dogma before headlining Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back – which was originally meant to end The Askewniverse until Smith revived the franchise (and the characters) in Clerks II after the failure of his Ben Affleck-starring romantic comedy Jersey Girl.

Although Smith says he met with Miramax (which released the original View Askewniverse features and holds some of the rights) and the studio is “into it”, it’s unknown whether they will release the final film or not.

We’ll keep you updated on Jay and Silent Bob Reboot as more information becomes available.
Deltron is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 01:10 PM #2
> ZackMallory
Power Ranger

ZackMallory
Power Ranger

That would be so damn epic to see them on the movie screen again.. i laughed so much about their sense of humor in their movie and loved them both..
And the little Degrassi storyarc with them was so adorable aswell.. cool dudes..

can't wait
ZackMallory is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:36 PM #3
> Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

It makes me bummed to know we'll never get a Clerks 3 now. The last I heard him spoke of it, he was pitching it to Miramax (as they had first dibs in their contract) but if they said no he'd be able to take it to other studios or make it himself. Never knew one of the four leads backed out. Wonder which one it was, Jeff Anderson or Brian O Halloran?

Either way, the new Jay & Silent Bob movie sounds fun. The first one was a fun goofy take on Hollywood, I'm totally up for seeing a 2017 version.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 02:40 PM #4
> Tiernan
Power Ranger

Tiernan
Power Ranger

Kind of bummed that the Mallrats follow up won't be happening, I was really looking forward to it.
Tiernan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 03:29 PM #5
> Jus1995
Power Ranger

Jus1995
Power Ranger

Sweet. I ask you, have Jay And Silent Bob ever been in a bad movie?
Jus1995 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:35 PM #6
> WatcherMark
Wubbalubbadubdub!

WatcherMark
Wubbalubbadubdub!

Jus1995 wrote: View Post

Sweet. I ask you, have Jay And Silent Bob ever been in a bad movie?
Scream 3?

Honestly, as cool as this is, I'll believe it when I see it. We've already been burned over Clerks 3 and Mallrats 2.
WatcherMark is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:37 PM #7
> Jus1995
Power Ranger

Jus1995
Power Ranger

^ You mean the one where the killer turns out to be an Orang-Utan? Otherwise, I don't remember there being a Scream 3. Or a Scream 4. Or a Scream TV series. And what's this red stuff coming out of my nose? *faints*
Old February 10th, 2017, 05:42 PM #8
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Kevin Smith has just lost all faith from me to make anything of quality since he decided to become a 24 hour a day pot head. He can't follow through on fucking anything anymore that isn't the result of a pot fueled podcast joke turned movie.
Xenotome is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 08:50 PM #9
> Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

First he should buy back the rights to Dogma and get a studio to begin making blu-rays again, and then I'll consider caring a bit more about a reboot of anything he's done.

Xenotome wrote: View Post

Kevin Smith has just lost all faith from me to make anything of quality since he decided to become a 24 hour a day pot head. He can't follow through on fucking anything anymore that isn't the result of a pot fueled podcast joke turned movie.
Uhhhhhhhhh okay wait a minute, now. He literally has a ton of podcasts he's a part of (the best, I think, being Fatman on Batman) that have nothing to do with his movie-making. Actually, I'm not really sure what you're referring to at all. I mean, sure, he smokes pot, but what in the world does that have to do with... hell, anything he's doing right now?

I think you're upset about the quality of his later works and are turning it into some kind of weird, kind of uncalled for personal insult toward him. Your whole post is just... weirdly aggressive and pointed, and I'm not sure why. Did the guy let you down that much?
Takaishi Takeru is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:11 PM #10
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Takaishi Takeru wrote: View Post

Uhhhhhhhhh okay wait a minute, now. He literally has a ton of podcasts he's a part of (the best, I think, being Fatman on Batman) that have nothing to do with his movie-making. Actually, I'm not really sure what you're referring to at all.
In that his last two movies & his next upcoming one were all just inside jokes from podcasts, the two that we've seen so far have been horribly bad while all of the movies that have actually been about things were pushed to the back burner or just canceled outright.

I mean, sure, he smokes pot, but what in the world does that have to do with... hell, anything he's doing right now?
It's made him a really shitty film maker and Kevin Smith doesn't just smoke pot. He smokes pot all day every day because his podcast lifestyle allows for it and it's been taking away from making quality movies.

I think you're upset about the quality of his later works and are turning it into some kind of weird, kind of uncalled for personal insult toward him. Your whole post is just... weirdly aggressive and pointed, and I'm not sure why. Did the guy let you down that much?
I enjoy Kevin Smith, particularly his Q&A/Stand Up routines, but his output is lackluster. I don't see any effort to really do anything film wise of note.

It's not personal, but it's pretty clear of when and why things took a turn. Podcasts became his bread & butter and the easier route while his movies are just an excuse to tour around for speaking engagements where he can play the movies with no care to quality.
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:18 PM #11
> Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

It's made him a really shitty film maker and Kevin Smith doesn't just smoke pot. He smokes pot all day every day because his podcast lifestyle allows for it and it's been taking away from making quality movies.
Okay, this is where I gotta ask. Did he say this? Or are you fancying yourself a lens into the personal life of Kevin Smith?

"He smokes pot all day every day because his podcast lifestyle allows for it--"

Like, honestly, this just sounds like you're really, really sore at him -- like he's personally hurt you -- and now you're just making some accusations that I'm assuming you can back up? Or just a gut feeling you've got?

I mean, I don't like his later stuff either. But your posts are just coming off as really aggressive and/or sanctimonious. I don't know if you intended that, but it's really disarming.

I enjoy Kevin Smith, particularly his Q&A/Stand Up routines, but his output is lackluster. I don't see any effort to really do anything film wise of note.
I think he'd agree with you here. I don't think he's particularly interested in pleasing anyone else other than himself these days in terms of what kind of movie he makes or playing up to a studio or fans. If he's happy with it, that seems to be the top priority for him.

It's not personal, but it's pretty clear of when and why things took a turn.
Fire away.

Podcasts became his bread & butter and the easier route while his movies are just an excuse to tour around for speaking engagements where he can play the movies with no care to quality.
Uhhhhhhh again, is this just speculation on your part? Because he's openly said that his own priorities when making movies has shifted, and that these days he's really only interested in making movies that he himself would really enjoy watching.

But you seem to be taking that and making some weird hypothesis about him being a "24 hour-a-day pot smoker" and that somehow being tied to his "lifestyle" (whatever in the world that means, since lots of people are dedicated to producing podcasts and their recreational activities have little to do with it).

So I guess what I'm asking is... are you just really, really so disappointed with this guy that now you're just making these wild personal attacks? Like, come on, man.
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:34 PM #12
> Nyranger
Crazy Mariachi

Nyranger
Crazy Mariachi

Yoga Hoosiers wasn't my cup of tea, but I LOVED the insanity that was "Tusk". I loved the podcast that spawned it and was highly amused with how close it stuck to that original pitch.

Of his post-view askew films, Red State was definitely his best. He has said that now he's more interested in making films that no one else would make and that he'd like to watch. Fortunately for him he's in a position to make it happen. I kinda dig that. They won't all be homeruns but I'm gonna show up and give em all a shot.

I really can't wait to see Moose-Jaws and hope it actually comes to fruition. Because the idea of "Jaws" only with a Moose is wonderful to me.
Nyranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:41 PM #13
> Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Xenotome
💕❤️Queen Syuusuke❤️💕

Takaishi Takeru wrote: View Post

Okay, this is where I gotta ask. Did he say this? Or are you fancying yourself a lens into the personal life of Kevin Smith?

"He smokes pot all day every day because his podcast lifestyle allows for it--"

Like, honestly, this just sounds like you're really, really sore at him -- like he's personally hurt you -- and now you're just making some accusations that I'm assuming you can back up? Or just a gut feeling you've got?
Yes he has

And he's talked about it in his multiple Q&As.

I think he'd agree with you here. I don't think he's particularly interested in pleasing anyone else other than himself these days in terms of what kind of movie he makes or playing up to a studio or fans. If he's happy with it, that seems to be the top priority for him.
Then by all means don't announce all these projects that you don't intend to put out. Clerks 3, his Wayne Gretzky hockey movie, Mall Rats show, Dogma 2, and now this one.
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:50 PM #14
> Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

Takaishi Takeru
希望を持って

Yes he has

And he's talked about it in his multiple Q&As.
Ha! I forgot all about this interview. And he really should think about maybe just sticking to the hockey jerseys instead of trying to make them pop with jackets.

Still, I'm not sure where your beef is. Are you saying that his pot smoking has actually done the opposite of what he wanted, and you not liking his later work is proof of that?

Because honestly the only things this interview confirms are a) he's extremely productive (and he is), b) he loves pot, and c) it's become a positive reinforcement to keep himself productive.

But you've sort of twisted that into something else, where he has a "lifestyle" of just smoking pot, as if he's just sitting around doing nothing, which really isn't true. And again, maybe it's the tone of your posts, which are oddly antagonistic toward him. Maybe it's your own dislike of his later work, and so you've decided that it's the pot's fault (???).

Like I said, you just sound more than a little hurt by the guy, and it's a little hard to respond to or gauge.
Old February 10th, 2017, 10:38 PM #15
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Then by all means don't announce all these projects that you don't intend to put out. Clerks 3, his Wayne Gretzky hockey movie, Mall Rats show, Dogma 2, and now this one.
Wait now, these are projects he intends to put out, but him wanting to make them and trying to does not mean he will get to. Some of his biggest stuff he actually doesn't have the rights to, like Mallrats. He has to get permission and backing to make such things. Mallrats the series didn't fall through because he got high and forgot about it, it was due to not having full control of the rights and not getting a network to back it, yet. He's still trying with it. Clerks 3 had one of the leads back out, probably Jeff Anderson. Dogma 2 I've never actually heard him talk about other than praising Ben Affleck and wanting to just keep making Affleck movies. I've not heard of the Gretzky movie either, but would assume it was a rights thing as well.

That's not taking into account his behind the scenes problems with studios, particularly how he seems to be in some kind of abusive relationship with Harvey Weinstein. That also tends to get in the way of him trying to do something with his Askew characters, he really only has full control over Jay and Silent Bob. Plus considering how well it did and mainstream that movie ultimately was, it'd be the most plausible to see the light of day.

Honestly though, considering all the Q&A appearances, podcasts, Comic Book Men shoots, episodes of tv shows he guest directs or cameos in, making actual movies, and time devoted to one sided relationships to Afflecks he does, with being a "All day pothead" type of guy, he's got to be the busiest, most productive pothead ever.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 12:01 AM #16
> Jus1995
Power Ranger

Jus1995
Power Ranger

Agreed. If we're going to criticise Kevin Smith for anything, it'd be for making Cop-Out and having Batman piss himself.
Old February 11th, 2017, 12:11 AM #17
> Nyranger
Crazy Mariachi

Nyranger
Crazy Mariachi

At least he admitted that Cop-Out was him attempting to just make "a studio movie" and that it was more of a "job" than anything.

Plus, it's not like he got a stellar performance out of Willis who clearly didn't wanna be there.
Nyranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 01:02 AM #18
> Jus1995
Power Ranger

Jus1995
Power Ranger

^ True. Say what you want about him, you can't deny he's willing to take risks.
Old February 11th, 2017, 01:05 AM #19
> TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

TheDreamMaster
Power Ranger

I thought Jay and Silent Bob were coming back in that "Moose Jaws" film he was doing.
TheDreamMaster is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 02:53 PM #20
> The Blue Enforcer
Hack The Planet

The Blue Enforcer
Hack The Planet

Gee, I wonder if this reboot will be jam packed Star Wars references, Ben Afleck and dick jokes.
The Blue Enforcer is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote