Home Menu

Menu

Old February 15th, 2016, 09:09 AM #81
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

Red Dino Ranger wrote: View Post

The Unused sprites definitely seem to indicate that the fight might have been different or that he might have been playable.
Maybe they had no idea how the movie was even going to end, until very late in the game's development, since the sprites they used are based on Kakuranger, rather than the actual PRTM designs for the Ninja Zords.
turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 10:26 AM #82
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

turbo409uk wrote: View Post

Maybe they had no idea how the movie was even going to end, until very late in the game's development, since the sprites they used are based on Kakuranger, rather than the actual PRTM designs for the Ninja Zords.
This is probably the most likely explanation, although if it was intended to be playable, given the energy field at the front of it, I can picture it being a scrapped attack.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:34 AM #83
> grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay

GekiCosmic wrote: View Post

Are you speculating, or are you saying this came from an early script?
I am speculating, much like MZ before me was speculating.
grnrngr is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:41 AM #84
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

grnrngr wrote: View Post

I am speculating, much like MZ before me was speculating.
Gotcha. But honestly, it's damn good speculation. I mean, I don't know if the "Knight In Shining Mirrors" name made it to any other merchandise beyond the Spin Fighters, but it's possible that it could've been hypothetically argued that the names accidentally got switched around during production, with a misnomer ending up on the merchandise, rather than it actually being an early name for Cyclopsis. But I think after looking at this early game information, it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that "Knight in Shining Mirrors" was indeed an early name for Cyclopsis.

I wonder what an early script (or scripts) for a Dora Mirage + Dora Talos episode would have looked like, whether it would've been a two-parter, and whether or not it would've resembled the early scripts for Doomsday in any way outside of the standard Sentai footage elements?

Last edited by Prototype; February 15th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:38 PM #85
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

GekiCosmic wrote: View Post

Does anyone know of free screen recording software (preferably one without a shitload of watermarks and adware, because I've been burned before)
The 1.5a version of Bulent's Screen Recorder is freeware, unlike the later versions, which are shareware.
http://johnbokma.com/software-recomm...nrecorder.html
turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 06:22 PM #86
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

turbo409uk wrote: View Post

The 1.5a version of Bulent's Screen Recorder is freeware, unlike the later versions, which are shareware.
http://johnbokma.com/software-recomm...nrecorder.html
Thanks man. Question is, do people really want to see video footage of this stuff, rather than me pointing out the differences? I can't see that it would be all that entertaining or informative, especially when I've listed most of the differences, and they could just check the games out themselves.

Legitimately looking for feedback on this question.
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:48 PM #87
> MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

Man, this whole Knight in Shining Mirrors/Cyclopsis/Twinman thing has kicked my fan theorizing into overdrive. What if Cyclopsis was going to be the Megazord for Twinman and his Rangers? What if Cyclopsis was going to be the giant form of Twinman, like Scorpina's monster form?

Eh, I should probably stop now, lol.
MegaZeo is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:53 PM #88
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

MegaZeo wrote: View Post

What if Cyclopsis was going to be the giant form of Twinman, like Scorpina's monster form?

By all means, speculate away. In fact, that theory is exactly what Grnrnger suggested, which is aided by the fact that Cyclopsis never had a ground fight, and Twin Man never had a Giant fight. Not to mention that stylistically, they're very similar and could certainly pass for the same monster, a la Scorpina. I mean, Scorpina lost her humanoid form when growing, so it wouldn't be much to suggest that Twin Man transformed upon growing.

I think it's very, very likely.
Old February 15th, 2016, 11:58 PM #89
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

MegaZeo wrote: View Post

Man, this whole Knight in Shining Mirrors/Cyclopsis/Twinman thing has kicked my fan theorizing into overdrive. What if Cyclopsis was going to be the Megazord for Twinman and his Rangers? What if Cyclopsis was going to be the giant form of Twinman, like Scorpina's monster form?

Both of those would've been so much more kickass plots than what we got in Doomsday.
a squad is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:38 AM #90
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

a squad wrote: View Post

Both of those would've been so much more kickass plots than what we got in Doomsday.
I dunno. Given how nerfed Goldar became over the course of the series, I thought it was pretty badass to have him pilot a Warzord.

Hell, even the terminology of Warzord is badass.
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:23 AM #91
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Just a quick update. Over at the Assembler Games forums, a member known as PixelButts has acquired and dumped 112 prototypes of the Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue game for PS1.

The link to the thread.
http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/...totypes.61984/

The link to the Hidden Palace Zone wiki, containing information about the various prototypes. http://hiddenpalace.org/Category:Pow...cue_prototypes

Anyway, I've never actually played the Lightspeed Rescue game for PS1, so if anybody is game enough to download 112 prototypes and document any interesting changes between the prototypes and the finals, that would be awesome.

I know that the thread title says "MMPR", but I guess it could be expanded to an all-round PR Game Prototype discussion thread, if anybody else felt like contributing, or if any other PR-related prototypes are ever acquired and dumped down the line?

At the very least, according to that thread, the member known as PixelButts states that there'll be more to come (eventually), though whether that means PR-related, I'm not sure. But according to the same thread he also had an opportunity to acquire prototypes for one of the Time Force games (presumably the one for PS1).

Last edited by Prototype; June 26th, 2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 01:11 AM #92
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

UPDATE: Since I posted the information below about the artwork, I've found some more stuff relating to the development of the Megadrive/Genesis games and the Game Gear games.

Over at Sega-16, a few years back they did an interview with John Pedigo, Producer of the Megadrive/Genesis Movie game and the Game Gear games, and he implies that he also worked on the first Megadrive/Genesis game, which is interesting as the majority of people listed in the Credits of the first game use aliases, so it may be worth tracking down John Pedigo and conducting an interview of my own. The full interview that Sega-16 conducted can be found HERE.

I've isolated the PR-relevant part for those who don't want to read the entire thing.

I was involved quite a bit in the project. The success of the first game gave us a little clout, so between myself and the teams in Japan, we came up with the storyline, level concepts and mechanics. This was based on dailies I was getting from Saban while the movie was filming. I met Haim Saban in the Burbank offices of Saban. He was excited for the project, but I didnít spend much time with him. The one thing that I can call my own in the game is the cut scene with the four panels that move the story forward. Everyone agreed on my cut scene suggestion, and it was super cool to think that these guys in Japan were making something which I laid out. When it showed up in the revs, I about peed my pants. The guys at Sega of Japan were blown away that the Power Rangers were so popular here in the U.S. They loved Super Sentai when they were kids, and to see it recycled on American TV fascinated them.
Also, as for the Game Gear games, I've managed to find an emulator that actually emulates the Game Gear link functionality, and while I can't initiate a link between two different revisions of the ROMs, even though they haven't implemented all the characters in the earliest prototypes, the Link Battle in all revisions seems perfectly functional.

EDIT: I have contacted John Pedigo for an interview request. Hopefully this goes somewhere. On the off chance that he replies and accepts, feel free to PM me any questions you might have for him.

[Original Post Below]

On eBay, somebody is selling the original artwork used for the SNES game "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition" boxart. Apparently it was acquired directly from a former Bandai employee and is the only such piece in existence. They're asking for $7,500 USD or best offer.

If this is legitimate, and I'd say that it is (due to the quality of the picture, and the presence of Zedd's thumb which is covered by the logo on the boxart), it'd be a must-have for any diehard collector.

It's not specifically relating to one of the game prototypes, but it is an original piece of artwork used for the game, sans logos, etc. So I'd say that it would fall under Prototype discussion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MMPR-Power-R...AAAOSw2x1XLM8f

I have no personal stake in the sale of this item, and I've posted it merely for curiosity's sake and for discussion. If it would be better suited for the Merchandise/Marketplace board, move it there, but as it's a unique piece relating to the game, I figured here would be alright.

The seller also has a few other items relating to MMPR, seemingly acquired from the same former Bandai employee, which I note for interest's sake, but as it has nothing to do with the games, I won't post them here. But I suppose for people interested in this type of thing, whether it be buying, or just for curiosity's sake, I thought I'd give you all a heads up, as there's a possibility that this guy has other PR prototype stuff in the pipeline.

Last edited by Prototype; July 3rd, 2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 12:20 PM #93
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Yeah, that piece has been on my "Watch list" for some time now. Not that I can afford it, but it's a neat thing to find.
Red Dino Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 02:12 PM #94
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Exclusive: John Pedigo (Producer of the SEGA MMPR games) Interview!

Well, I promised you all something special for my 2000th post (at least those of you who frequent the VIP-2 Random Thread ) and I'm very pleased to share with you an exclusive short interview with John Pedigo, who worked as Associate Producer for Sega of America (SOA) in the early 90s. He produced (or had a hand in producing) many games during his time, but of note are the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers games for Sega Genesis/Megadrive and Sega Game Gear.

I've generally kept this interview focused on his work on the PR games, so as to not bombard him with too many questions, but if you're interested in some of his other SEGA work, I believe I posted a link to his SEGA-16 interview a few posts back.

This is actually my first time interviewing anybody, so this is honestly a really cool moment for me.

Without further ado...

⚡Prototype:
For starters, I was wondering how you got involved in those projects specifically. Your interview over at SEGA-16 seems to imply that you worked on the first Genesis game, which was markedly different to the Genesis 'Movie' game, and the two Game Gear titles. As the first MMPR title used a lot of aliases in the Credits, I was wondering if you could confirm that?

If so, what was your experience working on that particular game, and did it differ from your experience working on the Genesis Movie game?

John Pedigo wrote:
It's been a while since I had to think about it...The SEGA-16 guys were more interested in the X-Women title, which had also faded from memory...don't get old.

The first game got handed to me pretty well along, most everything in but not polished. I probably had just become a Associate Producer, after leaving third party test, and this was a title that none of the Exec Producers wanted to really deal with. They had their own games they wanted to work on. I am pretty sure Saban approached either Bandai (BanPresto)or SOJ about developing the video game. One of my former producers was formerly from Bandai(BanPresto) so there may have been a connection there as well. I know he was just babysitting as SOJ developed the title. I was in control the last 30% of the game and got it through QA and onto manufacture. The Genesis version is the first game I published as a producer. I am credited as associate producer, as that's how went in those days. Your bosses were the Producers and you were either an assistant or associate. Also I didn't know about the aliases in the credits until I read about them in your thread. SOJ was really more in control for the first one.

I think everyone was surprised at how well it sold (not an AAA title, but...) and with the movie in development i think it was no brainer to do a follow up title for both platforms. They pretty much handed that to me and said go...The second time around I was way more involved as SOJ was removed from the growing popularity of PR here in the US. I went to Burbank and met with Haim Saban (for like 10 minutes) and his team. They gave me all kinds of concept material and scripts for the movie. I forwarded all of this along to SOJ, who developed again. It may have been a third party developer though, I can't remember now. We took a look at the material and SOJ and I got together on how it should work. I don't think we really had to dig too hard as Saban was sending movie material all the time, so it laid out well for us. I know we did have to change some of the plot and storyline as it changed in the movie but it was a fun project to work on. For my birthday, my co-workers got me a pretty big pink Power Ranger pinata, which stayed in my cubicle for a couple of years.
⚡Prototype:
Fascinating. I've noticed that there wasn't a credit for an Associate Producer in-game, so was it common in the industry back then (and perhaps now?) to only credit the Executive Producer (In this case, Kisaburo Higashi, who also EPed the Genesis Movie game and the two Game Gear games) or was this just something to do with internal politics between SOA and SOJ and the fact that SOJ was more in control for the first game?

John Pedigo wrote:
I think the first game was definitely a SOJ title from the start. I am not sure what SOJ was expecting in the end (I think there was some mild amusement surrounding the popularity of MMPR in general), but they were happy about it. As far as credit due I don't think they saw it as a big deal and just wasn't something they thought about back then.
⚡Prototype:
You mentioned that you were in control for the last 30% of the game, and that it wasn't polished when you came on board. Would that happen to coincide with the build shown in the following picture (here), or did the game more resemble the final product when you came on board?

John Pedigo wrote:
There was definitely art changes during my tenure, updates to placeholder art. My brain is too faded to remember exact pieces.
⚡Prototype:
From the scant information I can find, pre-release screenshots/video like this seemed to pop up in Spanish-speaking territories exclusively. A few screenshots seen on a Spanish Advertisement Poster shows that different characters were playable in these earlier builds, such as Pudgy Pig, who was cut from the final version (presumably for his less-than-threatening appearance). Would you happen to remember if any other characters or concepts were cut from the final product?

John Pedigo wrote:
That seems strange as the US build would have been finished long before a spanish version was cut. Could be the spanish marketers got hold of marketing materials and used them too early, IDK...I do remember character changes, but it's been so long ago I can't remember...I wish I could have foreseen the popularity and community surrounding MMPR, I would have kept a ton of stuff...the shit that I had would have blown your communities minds...Movie Scripts, photography, posters, style guides and other general merchandise...let me tell you about the 4 master systems I tossed in the trash one day...ug.
⚡Prototype:
Similarly, since you had more to do with the second game, do you remember if there were any characters or concepts that were talked about that didn't make the final cut, such as the Giant Rat Monsters from early script revisions?

John Pedigo wrote:
Oh definitely there was stuff that changed...but nothing that SOJ didn't roll with. We were right behind the movie in terms of production and Saban was really good about getting us major changes. Like I said I had a ton of material. Specific changes are long gone from my brain.
⚡Prototype:
The Movie game largely took influence from Season Two of MMPR, with the Movie-specific elements almost seeming like an afterthought. Was the game always intended to tie into the Movie, or did it begin production as solely a Season 2-based game? Or was there no real separation between the Series & Movie concept material given to you by Saban, leading to a hybrid of the two? Because the game is unique in that it ties the storylines of the Series and Movie together, whereas the Movie itself is out of continuity with the series.

John Pedigo wrote:
I was not aware of that. Too be honest I wasn't really a MMPR fan, and not so much now, probably having to due to my age. I recognize it a pretty cool chapter in my life (as all of my time in the game industry), but I didn't get into the canon too much. I have only seen parts of the original movie. I wouldn't be able to give any comment on that...
⚡Prototype:
If it was always intended to be a Movie-based game, was the reliance on mostly Series material partially due to the frantic rewrites that the movie was receiving at the time (such as the infamous Giant Rat Monster thing), or was it simply a case of using what was available - and most importantly to Saban - marketing all the new toys?

John Pedigo wrote:
This sounds like a good hypothesis...but IDK for sure. I was and am still under the impression that this was movie only based, but you make a good case.
⚡Prototype:
In your SEGA-16 interview, you mentioned being responsible for the four-panel cutscene layout used in the game. Were there any other conscious design choices you remember being responsible for?

John Pedigo wrote:
I may have influenced other story ideas, but that's the one that really stands out
⚡Prototype:
You also worked on the Game Gear titles, which are by and large considered the best Power Ranger games ever created, despite the system's technical inferiority to the Genesis, and are in fact some of the tightest games to ever hit the Game Gear. The two GG titles both used the same engine, with differences being in moves and characters.

John Pedigo wrote:
I freaking loved the GG versions more than the Genesis versions for sure. Gameplay was outstanding.
⚡Prototype:
So what was your experience working on the Game Gear titles, compared to the Genesis titles? Did you have as much to do with the Game Gear games as you did the Genesis Movie game? Also, did both GG titles begin production concurrently, or was the GG Movie game developed as a follow-up after the first was a relative success?

John Pedigo wrote:
I handled most of GG for both titles...They followed the Genesis titles really close behind and were in dev at the same time. It was pretty easy, SOJ had their shit down tight, and it made for easy production for both platforms and titles. Probably the easiest production of games I was involved with.
⚡Prototype:
Do you know the names of any of the other people who worked on the first MMPR game for Genesis that likewise may not have been credited? I'm presuming the aliased people were all SOJ employees, so I don't expect you to know their names, but was there anyone else on the US side who deserves credit that they may not have received?

John Pedigo wrote:
I know you can find the info on Moby, but I know the executive in charge has no interest in reliving any of it...he didn't then.
⚡Prototype:
Do you have any amusing stories or anecdotes from the period of time that you worked on these games (or at SEGA in general?)

John Pedigo wrote:
- I traded copies of the Movie version (Movie didn't come out in Japan) and posters to the producer at SOJ for some Japanese Baseball League hats.

- Meeting Haim Saban and him being disappointed that I showed up and not the marketing manager, she happened to be way more attractive than me.

- Muhammad Ali called me "pretty boy"

- Got to hangout with guitar player Ronnie Monstrose

-Played uncountable hours of Quake 2 on company time
And last but not least...

⚡Prototype:
What have you been up to in recent years? Last I heard you were still working in the games industry focusing on online games, and that you'd taken a shine to graphic design. Are you still involved with these industries, and if so, are there any products in the pipeline that you'd like to plug? And for anyone interested in your work, where can they find you?

John Pedigo wrote:
I went full internet after Sega...AltaVista, Playstation.com and CNET as a front end web dev (light HTML, graphics) through the first 10 of the new millenium. Tried to get back into gaming but became too far removed that no one really was interested. Did design a game with a friend thats on Addicting Games, but that never went anywhere...Went back to school, working on a Design/illustration degree. I'm too old to get a job in San Francisco in the tech industry and without a degree, forget it. So I am trying to do my own thing, published a children's book about the ABC's and car parts, do graphic design on the side and take care of my kids.

-Children's Book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/john-pedigo...-21930861.html

-Portfolio - johnpedigo.com

-DeviantArt - littleweird.deviantart.com

Like I said, I wish I had know how much a part of our pop culture that MMPR would have been...I would have paid more attention.

- John.
⚡Prototype:
Mr. Pedigo, I want to personally thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my (sometimes pedantic) questions, and I'd also like to thank you on behalf of both the Power Rangers fan community and the general Video Game community for all your work over the years, and for providing us with such memorable pieces of entertainment that still hold up today.

Last edited by Prototype; July 5th, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old July 5th, 2016, 02:44 PM #95
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

Prototype wrote: View Post

On eBay, somebody is selling the original artwork used for the SNES game "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition" boxart. Apparently it was acquired directly from a former Bandai employee and is the only such piece in existence. They're asking for $7,500 USD or best offer.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/BHcAAO...8n/s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MMPR-Power-R...AAAOSw2x1XLM8f
More then 10 years later that artwork is still amazing. That was the one battle I wanted to see on the show and even though it never happened the game was a way to show what could've been

Last edited by Prototype; July 5th, 2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: (snipped quote down to relevant text. don't quote large posts in their entirety.)
a squad is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 03:49 PM #96
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

I hope you all appreciate the interview. If you do, or if you just want to criticize my poor interviewing skills, feel free to post and let me know!

I used to hire these games from the video store (remember those?) when I was in the single-digit age range, so it's a little surreal actually talking to somebody who worked on them, some 20 years later.

a squad wrote: View Post

More then 10 years later that artwork is still amazing. That was the one battle I wanted to see on the show and even though it never happened the game was a way to show what could've been
It's nice to see the full art, as a lot of detail was lost when the art was xeroxed for the box art.
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:36 PM #97
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Man, I'm sorry your interview didn't turn out to be more than "I don't remember" in different words every time, I know how much you were looking forward to this.

But, at least the guy agreed to talk to you at all, which is still cool.

John Pedigo wrote: View Post

this was a title that none of the Exec Producers wanted to really deal with.
I hope all you Power Rangers video game lovers read this over and over and over again. It's only become more true with every passing year.

Meeting Haim Saban and him being disappointed that I showed up and not the marketing manager, she happened to be way more attractive than me.
As if the guy didn't have a bad enough reputation around here, this only makes things that much more hilarious.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 04:59 PM #98
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Primo Ron White wrote: View Post

I hope all you Power Rangers video game lovers read this over and over and over again. It's only become more true with every passing year.
It's more sad than anything. This series has so much potential for a good video game, but no one really wants to take the brand seriously enough to try it. Now they're not even going to try making games overall, unless it's mobile only, when they don't have to do any effort.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:05 PM #99
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Primo Ron White wrote: View Post

Man, I'm sorry your interview didn't turn out to be more than "I don't remember" in different words every time, I know how much you were looking forward to this.

But, at least the guy agreed to talk to you at all, which is still cool.
Yeah, it's a bit of a shame, but it was still fascinating to hear "I don't know" from the perspective of someone who was there.

At the very least, it helped answer a few nagging questions about the original game's production, as due to the aliases used, it was nearly impossible to figure out who worked on it. Makes it kinda worthwhile if you ask me. That shit's been bugging me for years.

I wonder if there's any resentment from the Japanese side on an artistic level, as they've been doing Sentai for 40-odd years, and it was only Power Rangers that seemed to gain the international recognition and fanfare?

Of course, business is business, and cranking out PR stuff was gonna bring in the big bucks, so I don't think executives circa '93 minded too much.

But seeing as how the hype started dying down fairly quickly, to the point that PR's been on the brink of cancellation multiple times, it's easy to understand why there's no real passion going into making Power Rangers games. Hell, it's hard enough to even get a decent Sentai game these days.

Hell, as early as Zeo, the games they churned out were fucking awful, like Zeo Battle Racers on SNES, the PS1 Zeo Pinball game and that awful Zeo game for PC.

As if the guy didn't have a bad enough reputation around here, this only makes things that much more hilarious.
Even if I didn't gain much insight on the production of the games, the interview was kind of worth it just for this.
Old July 5th, 2016, 05:27 PM #100
> GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Prototype wrote: View Post

I wonder if there's any resentment from the Japanese side on an artistic level, as they've been doing Sentai for 40-odd years, and it was only Power Rangers that seemed to gain the international recognition and fanfare?

Of course, business is business, and cranking out PR stuff was gonna bring in the big bucks, so I don't think executives circa '93 minded too much.

But seeing as how the hype started dying down fairly quickly, to the point that PR's been on the brink of cancellation multiple times, it's easy to understand why there's no real passion going into making Power Rangers games. Hell, it's hard enough to even get a decent Sentai game these days.

Hell, as early as Zeo, the games they churned out were fucking awful, like Zeo Battle Racers on SNES, the PS1 Zeo Pinball game and that awful Zeo game for PC.
Well, those are all games Bandai worked on after MMPR, and they largely seemed to have stopped caring about making good games after the MMPR ones. But once they finished the Zeo games they lost the license to make games, and it was handed to THQ, who sat on it for a few years, until we finally started getting games again for Lightspeed Rescue up until SPD, which have largely been mixed between average and good games. After SPD, they lost the license, and then we got Super Legends after Disney Interactive got the license, which was a phenomenal game in comparison to previous titles. But they didn't make any games for Jungle Fury or RPM (largely because I believe Disney overall stopped trying to keep the show, so they didn't bother trying to make money off it anymore).

As for the Japanese developers on Super Sentai games, they hardy ever make games anymore as it is. They've had around 10 games total that was released, and that was it (only counting home console or handheld games, not arcade cabinets). And of course they wouldn't have international recognition, since Super Sentai has largely been an Asian only series, largely not airing outside of Japan (although some other Asian countries do have Super Sentai released in their language). The series has never really been released in a Western country, unless you count parodies like the Dynaman dub, and it hasn't officially released in a non-parody format in the West until recently through Shout! Factory.
GalaxyRed is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
bandai, games, interviews, mmpr, nintendo, retro, sega, sentai, sprites, video games