Home Menu

Menu

Old February 9th, 2016, 08:01 AM #61
> Diecast
Sigh

Diecast
Sigh

GekiCosmic wrote: View Post

Maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe you DO have to go through the cave and fight Zedd, but I could have sworn it was possible to just beat all the enemies.

Actually, I think there may have been two caves on the level, one leading to Zedd and one leading to another area you could just beat.

Hm. Now I wanna play the game and find out. It's funny, despite having gone through all these prototypes, it's been a while since I've actually sat down and played the game properly.
Well, when I googled the issue, I was at the dead end of the level and then ran left to find the rock. If there was two entrance rocks, I would have found the second one first. If someone were to play to again and go into the first entrance they find going right, that would tell us if Zedd is optional.
Diecast is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 08:39 AM #62
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie (Megadrive/Genesis)

Prototype Build: July 22, 1995.

- The "interdimentional" typo has finally been corrected.

- The Demonstration Mode now alternates between the Red and White Rangers fighting on the first stage, and the Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord fighting the three Scarlet Sentinels.

- When it comes to the cutscenes, the few remaining bits of Engrish (which showed up most prominently in the Bulk & Skull scene at the end) have been corrected, although there are still a couple of punctuation errors like comma and period discrepancies that still have to be fixed.

I forgot to add this picture to the July 13 analysis but the comparison still applies here.

- There's still a noticeable script change with Rocky, Adam and Aisha, however.

- Yoshihide Ando's nickname of "Zin-ei" has finally been changed by this build.

Prototype Build: July 24, 1995.
Prototype Build: July 25, 1995.

From what I can tell, the next couple of revisions are just polishing up the stage layouts, Enemy A.I., and the few remaining punctuation errors, but aside from that, the game seems pretty much complete.

I hate to say this, but I think I've found just about all I can find in these prototypes. I'm going to keep trying with relative scans in the hex editor and try uncover some compressed text, see if I can find any remnants in the first MMPR game's earliest prototype of it's even earlier prototype, but I swear, they've definitely compressed the text in that game. I can't even find any "Golder" strings. :p

The possible compressed text in the earliest game makes me wonder if there is actually a hidden text remnant of Pudgy Pig in there. At the very least, it'd be interesting to talk about the mysteries concerning that game, like why Cyclopsis was referred to as "K.I. Shiny" in both the early prototype and it's even earlier beta screenshots. It doesn't seem to refer to a Zyuranger term, unless it's supposed to be "Kai Shiny" referring to Bandora's son piloting Cyclopsis, but that seems a little farfetched. If it wasn't for the initials and the periods, I'd consider that it might have been Ki Shiny, Ki being an odd transliteration of "Cy".

At the very least, the term only seems to refer to Cyclopsis' upgraded form, as when you fight the initial form of Cyclopsis in the earliest prototype, it's name is a string of gibberish tiles. Although could that possibly be a clue that the names are stored as images rather than text? Time to bust out the ol' Tile Layer Pro.

Lidar wrote: View Post

Well, when I googled the issue, I was at the dead end of the level and then ran left to find the rock. If there was two entrance rocks, I would have found the second one first. If someone were to play to again and go into the first entrance they find going right, that would tell us if Zedd is optional.
Okay, I played through it. The first cave leads to a putty fight, and the second leads to the Zedd fight. If you beat the putty fight, you exit the cave, allowing you to go into the second one to fight Zedd. But it seems as long as you enter ONE of the caves, you can continue to the end of the main level, fighting Goldar at the end.

You're correct in that if you don't enter one of the caves, you end up at a dead end with infinitely spawning Putties.

All in all, it's a nice little change of pace from an endlessly right-scrolling stage.

Last edited by Prototype; February 9th, 2016 at 10:59 AM.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:37 AM #63
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe you DO have to go through the cave and fight Zedd, but I could have sworn it was possible to just beat all the enemies.

Actually, I think there may have been two caves on the level, one leading to Zedd and one leading to another area you could just beat.

Hm. Now I wanna play the game and find out. It's funny, despite having gone through all these prototypes, it's been a while since I've actually sat down and played the game properly.
You CAN get to Goldar and beat the level without fighting Zedd. There are multiple breakable rocks that lead to different rooms. If I remember correctly, the earliest you can get to Zedd is by destroying atleast two rocks and entering the doors behind them before getting to Zedd. However, one of the other rocks just leads to a room full of Z-Putties and once you beat them all, the Ranger leaves the room on their own and is then placed in the room where you end up fighting Goldar.
Red Dino Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 10:58 AM #64
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Red Dino Ranger wrote: View Post

You CAN get to Goldar and beat the level without fighting Zedd. There are multiple breakable rocks that lead to different rooms. If I remember correctly, the earliest you can get to Zedd is by destroying atleast two rocks and entering the doors behind them before getting to Zedd. However, one of the other rocks just leads to a room full of Z-Putties and once you beat them all, the Ranger leaves the room on their own and is then placed in the room where you end up fighting Goldar.
Yeah, I'd already amended my post, haha. It was bugging me so I played through that level and realised how the level functioned.

Thank god for Stage Select.

I'm considering doing a sound-by-sound analysis of the early MMPR prototype's music and sound effect differences, but in the meantime, is there anything in particular that anybody thinks I've missed or haven't covered as well as I should have?

Last edited by Prototype; February 9th, 2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:22 AM #65
> ⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Also, I'm still baffled as to what the "NOW PRINTING" text strings are for. They immediately follow the Character names in the same format. Could it have been part of a development thing to print out screenshots of the game in progress for review publications directly from hardware? At the very least, given that there are four slots like this, I'm tempted to think that it may have been intended to be four more character slots.
It's typically an Engrish thing. It's common for Japanese to use the term kind of like a "coming soon" or a "temporary" message. For example, with toys, a company that wants to advertise an upcoming item but doesn't have a photo of it to include, will use a "Now Printing" image instead.
Another example would be a game publisher or retailer wanting to advertise an upcoming game on a site or magazine but they don't have a final version of the cover art, so they'll do the same.

In this context, it could be a temp filler message for a character that was undecided, placeholder in case they needed it or a character that was in progress but not completed.

Last edited by Morgan Lamia; February 9th, 2016 at 11:33 AM.
Morgan Lamia is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 11:58 AM #66
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Morgan Lamia wrote: View Post

It's typically an Engrish thing. It's common for Japanese to use the term kind of like a "coming soon" or a "temporary" message. For example, with toys, a company that wants to advertise an upcoming item but doesn't have a photo of it to include, will use a "Now Printing" image instead.
Another example would be a game publisher or retailer wanting to advertise an upcoming game on a site or magazine but they don't have a final version of the cover art, so they'll do the same.

In this context, it could be a temp filler message for a character that was undecided, placeholder in case they needed it or a character that was in progress but not completed.
Huh. Interesting. Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have any actual examples of this term being used that you could show me?

At the very least, I'd assume that while it's an Engrish term meaning "coming soon", it wouldn't be as common in game development as opposed to advertisements for print publications and the like?
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:18 PM #67
> ⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Huh. Interesting. Not that I'm doubting you, but do you have any actual examples of this term being used that you could show me?

At the very least, I'd assume that while it's an Engrish term meaning "coming soon", it wouldn't be as common in game development as opposed to advertisements for print publications and the like?
Not really off the top of my head. It's just something that I've seen around a million times, used in the various ways that I gave some examples of. It's a common thing. I mostly see it used in/on Japanese stores, but I've seen it in game development before too.

I probably didn't word it in the best way, so I guess a more accurate way of describing it's usage is simply when there isn't an image available for something. As I said in my post before, in this context it would've been used as a temp placeholder image/text for something that hasn't been made.
Morgan Lamia is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM #68
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Morgan Lamia wrote: View Post

Not really off the top of my head. It's just something that I've seen around a million times, used in the various ways that I gave some examples of. It's a common thing. I mostly see it used in/on Japanese stores, but I've seen it in game development before too.

I probably didn't word it in the best way, so I guess a more accurate way of describing it's usage is simply when there isn't an image available for something. As I said in my post before, in this context it would've been used as a temp placeholder image/text for something that hasn't been made.
Yeah, no, my bad. You did make that clear. I was just wondering if you may have had any specific game-related examples just to compare. All good though.

I'm glad you told me though, because while I naturally assumed that it was placeholder text for potential characters, there was still a part of my brain taking it literally and assuming there'd been something to do with a printer.

EDIT: It does seem you're right, however. According to TCRF, there was an unused minigame in the first Mario Party, and the preview icon says "NOW PRINTING!" in English text. It also has Japanese text laid across it on a separate layer saying "Under Construction", so it would seem that those two terms are synonymous.

Funnily enough though, the term still seems to baffle a lot of English speakers, so there isn't much online to suggest that the terms are synonymous unless you're really paying attention, to the point that this thread is already one of the top Google results for that term.

Last edited by Prototype; February 9th, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old February 10th, 2016, 12:53 PM #69
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Well, I've gone and ripped the sound and music from the early MMPR (Genesis/Megadrive) prototypes, so people can compare and contrast the changes.

I've organized them in numerical order with their Sound Test hex value in brackets, so people can listen to them in order. The ones marked (BLANK) signify a sound test slot that didn't contain any sound or music, but I kept the soundless files there for aesthetic reasons, so people didn't assume there was a file missing from the list.

They're all named in the same format, so I advise extracting each .rar to a different folder.

July 18 SFX
http://www.4shared.com/rar/KDqbUMtrb...y_18_1994.html
July 18 Music
http://www.4shared.com/rar/izr8NsIpc..._18_Music.html

August 04 SFX
http://www.4shared.com/rar/Svx2nVazce/Aug04_SFX.html
August 04 Music
http://www.4shared.com/rar/uKGGBrR8ce/Aug04_Music.html

There doesn't appear to be any further changes in sound or music from the August 04 1994 build to the final version.

Also, in the case of MMPR: The Movie (Genesis/Megadrive) there's an unused sound that exists in all builds including the final. It's the communicator beep, which was probably a remnant from the early Season 2 game design.

Last edited by Prototype; February 10th, 2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old February 12th, 2016, 08:35 AM #70
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Just thought I'd share some interesting tidbits from the SNES Movie game.

There's a "Player Test" accessible through a Pro Action Replay code.

Much like early MMPR scripts, Aisha's name is spelled as "Aesha".

Also of note, the "ZAKO ETC" entry contains the Putty sprites (along with the Ranger special moves.) I'm assuming Zako refers to the Putties, since in Japanese, the word Zako refers to a "small fish", both literally, and in slang terms as referring to someone who can't do anything right, or in the business world, the lowest level members of the organisation. So Zako clearly refers to their Grunt-like nature.

I'm assuming the Putty's palette is odd since it's one of the sprites that doesn't have a definite assigned palette, with it's palette alternating depending on the type. The Ranger teen sprites on the other hand have their palettes hardcoded.

There's also potentially a Sound Test still within the game. The menu that you access the Player Test from also has a Sound Test option, although the Sound Test option pointer is the same as the Player Test. Text regarding the Sound Test is still in the ROM, so it's possible that it can be re-accessed.

Last edited by Prototype; February 12th, 2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old February 13th, 2016, 02:07 PM #71
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

I realize that so much of this is poorly formatted, and cluttered, especially due to me finding some of the discoveries on the fly, but I'm trying my hand at writing more succinct articles on the Prototypes to add to the website "The Cutting Room Floor".

I'll let you guys know when the articles have been written and added to the site.

And just so this isn't a mostly pointless post, the Japanese version of "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" for SNES (or rather, Super Famicom in this case) has a couple of interesting changes from the US and EU versions of the game. Note that the Japanese version came out in 1995, while the US and EU versions came out in 1994.

- The first change is more obvious. The JP title screen has been changed, with the logo resembling a hybrid of the series and movie logos. The date has been updated on-screen to 1995, and the copyright info has been changed, crediting Toei along with Saban, and removing the "Licensed by Nintendo" credit.

- The second difference is that the JP version has a Sound Test accessible via code, whereas the US and EU versions do not.

- The third noticeable change is that when looking at the JP version in a Hex Editor, the game contains the text-string of "PowerRangers1993Natsume Nagoya" in English. This text string doesn't exist in the previous versions, but it signifies that the game was developed by the Nagoya branch of Natsume in 1993, obviously.

- The header title for the US and EU versions is "POWER RANGERS", whereas the Japanese version has been changed to "POWER RANGERS 1", implying that the second SNES game was already in development by the time they released the first game in Japan. The second game (MMPR: The Movie), which is internally referred to as "POWER RANGERS II" in the Player Test, was never released in Japan.

I can't really spot any other regional changes, but I found the above differences interesting to say the least.

Last edited by Prototype; February 13th, 2016 at 05:43 PM.
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:41 AM #72
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

Was the Ninja Mega Falconzord initially intended to be playable in the PRTM Genesis game, or has someone just modified the sprite rips?

turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:52 AM #73
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

turbo409uk wrote: View Post

Was the Ninja Mega Falconzord initially intended to be playable in the PRTM Genesis game, or has someone has just modified the sprite rips?

http://imgur.com/7MyFA9e.jpg
The Ninja Mega Falconzord sprites exist as part of the Ninja Megazord sprite set, and are used in-game near the end for the finisher against the Ivan Ecto-Morphicon, and then in the ending sequence for a brief automated fight scene and ensuing comet finisher.

There's a chance that it could have been considered for actual play at some point during development, but given how rushed the Movie-themed elements seem, and how late in the game it appears, it may have only been intended for the finisher.

Interestingly enough though, in the section of the Animation Test where you cycle through the various Ninja Megazord and Ninja Mega Falconzord sprites, in the later section where the Ninja Mega Falconzord sprites are stored, there seems to be a fair amount of duplicate sprites of the Ninja Megazord for some reason. So perhaps they didn't have time to implement an entire Ninja Mega Falconzord sprite sheet and just filled the blank space that was intended for further Ninja Mega Falconzord sprites with the regular Ninja Megazord sprites?

But you know, while we're on the subject, given that there's a whole sprite set of the Ninja Megazord, and the various angles of the Falcon Zord backsprite exist in that limited Ninja Mega Falconzord sprite set, it wouldn't be too difficult to edit them and make a whole set of Ninja Mega Falconzord sprites.

Also, here's an interesting little tidbit. Enter the code "FF1D00:0C" at startup in the final revision of the MMPR:TM game, and you get a seemingly alternate cutscene fight between Ninja Mega Falconzord and the Ivan Ecto-Morphicon, on an endless loop, on a plain black background. Was this possibly used to simply test the automation before implementing it into the cutscene?

Also, my god are these Zord names unwieldy.

Last edited by Prototype; February 14th, 2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:25 AM #74
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Always been curious about NMFZ implementation! I'm a sucker for cutscenes that actually use the game's sprites, so I've always been curious if they intended NMFZ to be playable or did the sprite just for that ending fight. The Unused sprites definitely seem to indicate that the fight might have been different or that he might have been playable.

Also interesting about the title screen of the SFC version of the game. Not really a necessary change, but an interesting one.
Red Dino Ranger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 02:54 AM #75
> Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

The title screen change is kinda odd really - this is the Japanese title sequence. A Japanese logo is used at 0:19, which just says Power Rangers, and at the end the original logo is kept intact, which means the original title screen is more accurate.
Digifiend is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 03:20 AM #76
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Well, I don't think that they ever intended to use that brief Japanese version of the logo. I think it was just a case of updating the art assets to make it more aesthetically pleasing. If you take a look at the following .gif, you'll see that the redone MMPR logo art was directly taken from the assets used for the Movie logo, and the selection icon is one of the collectable lightning bolts from the Movie game.

The Mighty Morphin' bar was changed to red, the text aligns perfectly, albeit with some slight alteration due to the addition of a light grey outline around the "Mighty Morphin'" text rather than a darker shadow outline. If you look closely at the red bar, you can see a couple of artifacts showing that it was kind of a hasty edit.

The lightning bolt is higher by a few pixels, although it's noticeably just a simple palette swap of the silver one. The "Power Rangers" text is almost entirely the same, except for the inner part being filled in with white as opposed to the Movie game's logo having a moving texture visible through the transparent text, and you can see that they shifted Power and Rangers apart by a few pixels to make the yellow lightning bolt more visible.

So clearly the Movie game was in development by the time they decided to release the original MMPR game in Japan, and hell, the MMPR game's original logo looked outdated even when it was first released.

To me, it's more baffling that they even released the original MMPR game in Japan at all. Although given that they did a Japanese dub of MMPR with the original Zyuranger actors (did it ever get past Season 1?) Power Rangers might have been seen as one of those popular foreign curiosities.

The best part of the Japanese Dub opening was the brief Japanese logo, and the fact that Machiko Soga got an opening credit, due to her both portraying AND voicing the character of Rita this time around.

Last edited by Prototype; February 15th, 2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 04:24 AM #77
> MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

- On the next stage, with Cyclopsis's upgraded form, you fight with the Megazord as normal, and Cyclopsis's name appears as "K.I.Shiny". I'm not sure what this refers to.

On his Spin Fighter, Cyclopsis has the name "Knight in Shining Mirrors."

One can only guess where this name comes from (as a kid who knew the character as Cyclopsis, I was understandably confused). Perhaps back in some early, early draft of the script - even before Bubba/Kai - Cyclopsis was going to be written, not as an evil Zord, but simply a very powerful monster?

Or maybe it was just somebody at Bandai making shit up, lol.

- The game in all revisions refers to the Monolith in the Neola Jungle. While this isn't exactly a prototype difference, I'm not certain if the term "Neola Jungle" made it to the final Movie or if it was from earlier scripts.

Dulcea does indeed say "There, beyond the Neola Jungle, is the Monolith" in the movie.
MegaZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 07:54 AM #78
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

MegaZeo wrote: View Post

On his Spin Fighter, Cyclopsis has the name "Knight in Shining Mirrors."

One can only guess where this name comes from (as a kid who knew the character as Cyclopsis, I was understandably confused). Perhaps back in some early, early draft of the script - even before Bubba/Kai - Cyclopsis was going to be written, not as an evil Zord, but simply a very powerful monster?

Or maybe it was just somebody at Bandai making shit up, lol.
Oh man. That's incredible. That has to be the explanation, then. I honestly never imagined anyone would figure this mystery out, but there you go. It was something from such an early script revision that it lasted well into the merchandise stage.

That's so fascinating. Thank you for answering this! Give this man a cookie!

Maybe due to the whole Bubba/Kai footage not meshing with the PR story, they thought "Let's cut that and just have the Giant Monster footage!" and this got a resounding thumbs up in the Saban offices, and things were faxed off to various merch sectors.

Then maybe someone thought "Hey, well, we have a Giant Monster without any ground footage of the Rangers fighting it. That's weird.", and reinstated the Bubba/Kai stuff in the script to justify it, even if they weren't entirely sure how to fit Bubba/Kai into the story. Then they came up with the idea to just have original Goldar footage instead.

Last edited by Prototype; February 15th, 2016 at 08:16 AM.
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:25 AM #79
> grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay

Also possible - the final Doramonster (Dora Mirage, aka Twin Man) who had no giant battle was being paired with Dora Talos/Cyclopsis who had no regular-sized battle.
grnrngr is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2016, 08:49 AM #80
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

grnrngr wrote: View Post

Also possible - the final Doramonster (Dora Mirage, aka Twin Man) who had no giant battle was being paired with Dora Talos/Cyclopsis who had no regular-sized battle.
Are you speculating, or are you saying this came from an early script? At the very least, you may be correct about Dora Mirage being the basis for the name, given that he is indeed a monster covered in mirrors, and that he does resemble Dora Talos/Cyclopsis at a cursory glance. For instance, similar colouring, and similar design elements like the downward-curved shoulder pads, pointed head, and red eyes. While Dora Talos has a more prominent singular eye to the point where it's hard to even see it's red eyes, the singular eye would also stylistically resemble the almost eye-like shape on Dora Mirage's torso.

From the date given in the earliest prototype ROM (that doesn't match with the actual prototype build date, mind you) it shows that this name had been sent to the developers by at least October of '93, which is when I presume the early 'pre-July 1994' build footage came from.

While we don't have an early script for 'Doomsday: Part 1' to confirm whether or not Twin Man was going to be used for Cyclopsis' ground form, going by SirStack's Project Hexagon script for 'Doomsday: Part 2', the idea that "Cyclopsus" (sic) was a pilotable mecha had been finalized by at least August 23, 1993.

I'm also going to posit the idea that perhaps you were only supposed to fight one form of Dora Talos in the game's original design, rather than fighting one mode and then it's powered up mode, given how in the July 08 build the base version of Cyclopsis has a garbled name, suggesting that it may have been added in when Pudgy Pig (or another monster) was removed, and they hadn't updated the name yet.

Although, now that I go back and look at pre-release stuff, according to the 'pre-July 1994' poster screenshot, it's REGULAR Cyclopsis with the K.I. Shiny name, rather than the powered up version (whereas this obviously later build only has the K.I. Shiny name for the second form). So could the intended boss fight have gone from 'Ground Battle with Dora Mirage' to "Giant Battle with Dora Talos", with that being changed to two versions of Dora Talos/Cyclopsis once the Dora Mirage story element was scuppered?

At the very least, in the July 08 build, given that you fight Cyclopsis as a regular Ranger before going onto the powered-up version in a Megazord level, it gives credence to the idea that this was originally a level slot that involved a ground battle with a regular monster. Whether that was going to be a ground battle with Dora Mirage, or if it's just a remnant of some earlier monster, I don't know.

Last edited by Prototype; February 15th, 2016 at 10:18 AM.

Tags
bandai, games, interviews, mmpr, nintendo, retro, sega, sentai, sprites, video games