Old February 8th, 2016, 10:30 AM #41
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

GekiCosmic wrote: View Post

Oh cool, you actually had the Genesis pirate? How faithful of a pirate port was it? I remember a bit of talk about it years ago, with other people unsure about whether it was an unreleased prototype or a pirate. Looking at the developers, it's a little obvious that it was a pirate, but I remember being unsure years ago too. I'd like to own it though. I don't think I've ever actually seen gameplay footage of that pirate though.

I'd uploaded some gameplay footage online, but it was poorly shot with a cell-phone by my sister while I was playing... I was... maybe 12 or 13 at the time... Youtube deleted my account however and I no longer have the video. Still have the cart though.

Some of the interesting stuff about it:

-No cinematics
-No Story and Trial Modes
-No Ivan Ooze
-No fighter portrait during battle
-Power Meter remains still
-The Announcement screen (? Vs ?) doesn't go away until you press start, unlike SNES, where it goes away on it's own.

Graphically, it does a great job of looking like an official release. The sound is significantly worse than the SNES version though. The Power Rangers theme, I've heard, was also used in a King of Fighters pirate. There are missing sound effects for some of the attacks and for the Round Counter (the voice just says "Round"). The controls are pretty bad, even with a 6 button joypad, you still use only 3, one of which is the defense button. When you play against the computer it always puts your opponent with a reversed colour palette. The only exeptions are Ninja Megazord, which has no reverse palette at all, and Lipsyncher, who's default and reverse colours are actually switched around (she's with the reverse colours even on the selection screen). The game over screen is the same, but Zedd moves his hand much faster and if you choose to continue the flame doesn't appear around his hand. The ending of Arcade Mode...a black screen with a simple "Congratulations".
Also there are two versions of the Zordon arena, depending on who you fight there. If you fight Lipsyncher Zordon won't move, but if you fight someone else he'll be twitching a bit.

I unfortunately, do not have the means to either dump the rom or capture some decent footage of gameplay, but if you need anything specific that I can check during gameplay - I'll do my best.
Red Dino Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 10:38 AM #42
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Red Dino Ranger wrote: View Post

I unfortunately, do not have the means to either dump the rom or capture some decent footage of gameplay, but if you need anything specific that I can check during gameplay - I'll do my best.
I was just curious if it was an attempt at a direct port or if it was just a homebrew fighting game using the TFE's art assets. From the sounds of it, it's the latter.

Thanks for all the detailed information though.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 10:48 AM #43
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

I was just curious if it was an attempt at a direct port or if it was just a homebrew fighting game using the TFE's art assets. From the sounds of it, it's the latter.

Thanks for all the detailed information though.
Oh, in many ways it can fool you that it's an official release. That's what got to me back in the day. Besides the rather poor controls, everything else could pass for the real deal, even if not that great of a game.

Hey, would you look at that... some screenshots (and it has been dumped apparently):

http://www.vizzed.com/play/power-ran...sis-65578-game

And a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_hX8NZfS8
Old February 8th, 2016, 12:09 PM #44
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

- If you wait for the Demonstration Mode to occur, you'll see that it's unfinished at this point. It loads a level without enemies or player movement, and more noticeably it loads White Ranger's sprite with Blue Ranger's palette.

https://i.imgur.com/VhYjOzO.png
Looks like Ninjor...
SanityOrMadness is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 04:47 PM #45
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Oh, in many ways it can fool you that it's an official release. That's what got to me back in the day. Besides the rather poor controls, everything else could pass for the real deal, even if not that great of a game.

Hey, would you look at that... some screenshots (and it has been dumped apparently):

http://www.vizzed.com/play/power-ran...sis-65578-game

And a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA_hX8NZfS8
Huh. That's actually pretty well done for a knock-off. I love the almost-MMPR music it has. It sounds like an amateur trying to play the song by ear on an old Casio keyboard.

While it's shoddy in a lot of places, it would've taken a fair amount of work to actually create and make it look as polished as it does, so for that I give it props.

SanityOrMadness wrote: View Post

Looks like Ninjor...
Now there's a sprite edit I'd like to see.
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:04 PM #46
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (Game Gear)

[SNIP]
Natsume also developed the DS version of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight

Last edited by Morgan Lamia; February 8th, 2016 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Please don't quote large posts.
CheckeredRanger is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:04 PM #47
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

Now there's a sprite edit I'd like to see.
Well, just by replacing the white areas - and black shield - with blue, you're 90% of the way there already. (It's already closer than Pink being a palette swap of Red!).

Gold belt, gold forehead, gold chest symbol, blue almost everything else. At the scale in question, a few small tweaks and you're there for his "Ninjaman" look (move the gold shoulderpads down to mid-bicep, boot cuffs down to the ankle, and add a gold line above the knee).
SanityOrMadness is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:06 PM #48
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

CheckeredRanger wrote: View Post

Natsume also developed the DS version of Kamen Rider Dragon Knight
While that's interesting to know and thanks for the contribution, try not to quote gigantic posts like that just for a short little comment. It makes things far too unwieldy in what's already a bit of a textwall thread. Snip the quote down to the relevant parts.

Cheers.
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:10 PM #49
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

While that's interesting to know and thanks for the contribution, try not to quote gigantic posts like that just for a short little comment. It makes things far too unwieldy in what's already a bit of a textwall thread. Snip the quote to the relevant parts.

Cheers.
OK
Do you have any info on prototypes related to the VR Troopers game Sega made?I recall seeing screenshots(including on the back of the box of the Genesis version!)where the Skugs were playable characters
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:14 PM #50
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

CheckeredRanger wrote: View Post

OK
Do you have any info on prototypes related to the VR Troopers game Sega made?I recall seeing screenshots(including on the back of the box of the Genesis version!)where the Skugs were playable characters
With that in mind, you should go back and edit your post. (Too late! Thanks, Morgan Lamia.)

I don't have any information on the VR Troopers game, and I don't think I've come across any prototypes of it. In fact, I've only seen a little of the show. It's hard to watch through when it's cringier than PR.

So anything VR Troopers related is probably best answered by someone else. Sorry.

EDIT: Here's some information about cut content from the VR Troopers game, including an apparent explanation for why the Skug wasn't playable.

https://tcrf.net/VR_Troopers_%28Genesis%29

While I haven't played through it, graphically, the VR Troopers game is actually pretty good. It's got some nice effects in there. I'm surprised that it got such a nice-looking game adaption, considering how they could barely even make the show look good.

Last edited by Prototype; February 8th, 2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old February 8th, 2016, 05:23 PM #51
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

Awesome.Thanks and keep up the good work
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:35 AM #52
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Today on Power Rangers! GekiCosmic looks at another prototype, but Rita and her goons are up to no good! Can he discover differences between the next build and the final that weren't covered in the previous prototype analysis? Find out, on:

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie (Megadrive/Genesis)

Bear in mind that given the comparisons in the previous analysis, this post will only contain pictures if something differs in a noticeable way.

Prototype Build: July 17, 1995.

- The opening text crawl still contains the typo of "interdimentional".

- The Pattern Check/Animation Test is no longer immediately accessible. However, it's now accessible by the same method as the final version mentioned in the previous analysis.

- The Demonstration Mode exists in a more finished form, although in this build, it only ever shows the first stage, with Red Ranger and White Ranger fighting Oozemen.

- The Stage Select that's re-activated via the previously mentioned method has now been updated to say "Round" instead of "Stage". Presumably because each individual round that's triggered doesn't correspond to the Stage number that appears before a level.

- The Visual Selector still contains Japanese instruction text and misspelled names.

- Almost none of the previous prototype's cutscene typos or grammatical/punctuation errors seem to have been fixed in this version with the exception of "THE POWER IS ON!" rather than "The power is on." and the slight attempt at fixing the Stage 4 ED where the Stone Canyon trio discover Billy. The Stage 4 ED would receive further changes by the Final.

- I just realised that despite the playable Rangers being Rocky, Adam and Aisha at this point in the story, when "THE POWER IS ON!" first shows on the screen and we hear a voice clip of "Power Rangers!", I'm certain it's a voice clip of the original Rangers rather than the replacements. It's digitized as all hell, but Thuy Trang had a pretty distinctive voice.

- The initial cutscene where we see the giant Hornitor and Scorpitron now contains both of them like the final version, rather than cutting straight to the level after seeing the Scorpitron image.

- Huh. Unlike the previous prototype and the final version, the Zord Select screen has some interesting text regarding the Zord stats. I'm not sure if this was for internal usage or if it was intended to be in the final at one point. Note that "Falcon Zord" has been compressed to one word, and the misspelling of "Medium" as "Midium".

- The Thunder Megazord and the White Tiger Zord selection screen has it's own interesting text. Rather than Zord stats, it seems to be some kind of Zord diagnostic text. Also note that the previous build's WHITETIGER ZORD has been fixed to WHITE TIGERZORD.

- Whatever made them decide to add Zord stat text, I don't know, but rather than improve the translation, it's completely disappeared by the July 22 build.

- This part just before the Ending Credits Sequence now has the image of the Power Rangers rather than the black screen of the previous build.

- The Credits font has now been updated, although it still refers to Yoshihide Ando as "Zin-ei Ando". Note that alternate transcriptions of this nickname appear in other SIMS Co., Ltd. games as "Zin-A Ando".

- Apart from all that, the levels themselves, while already having the enemies and level sections coded, still remain in their unpolished form from the previous build, with things like the Level Timer starting off at 45, and Player Two's default Credit count being "09" rather "05".

- Having found text in the July 17 build that didn't exist in either the preceding or following builds, I decided to take a look around the ROM internals with a Hex Editor.

- In the July 13 Build, the game didn't contain an internal header title, and contained an alternate cartridge serial number/T-Code of "T-133037". Googling around seems to show that the T-code in general signifies a Third-Party developer, while T-133 signifies a Bandai release, and that the remaining numbers signify a date, which suggests to me that the game possibly started development on July 03, 1995.

- By the July 17 build, the game had been titled POWER RANGERS 2, and gained the serial number that would be used in the final version, with the MK-series code of MK-1578 suggesting an official first party release, so presumably the previous code was only used early in development.

The only other game that had the T-133037 code was "From TV Animation Slam Dunk: Shouri-e no Starting 5" for Game Gear, which was also developed by SIMS, and released by Bandai.

- Despite the unused Zord Stat text found in the July 17 prototype, I'm unable to find any of the words mentioned there within the July 17 ROM as a conventional ASCII string like the Character Names.

- The dialogue and credits text don't seem to be stored in ASCII format either, although that's consistent with the final.

- Judging by the Text String of "SERPENTERA" in the same location as all the other character names, it appears that at one point during its development, Serpentera may have been considered for one of the Bosses, which would jibe with the Season 2 game design, and the fact that the flashback levels involve going to the Deserted Planet. This text string exists in every build of the game, including the Final. I'm not sure why the character names are immediately followed by four entries of "NOW PRINTING" however.

- In any case, the only remnant of Serpentera's in-game existence in any build is the aforementioned Deserted Planet (or Forbidden Planet in this game) level and a couple of frames of a background Serpentera. The Serpentera BG sprite entry also includes a statue as part of it's sprite set, which is used on the Deserted Planet level, and the lightning effect that the BG Serpentera fires out of it's mouth.

EDIT: Having done a relative value scan on the word "green", I've managed to find the Zord Stats text within the ROM. I generated a table file and applied it, which gave me the following. Note that I accidentally did this with the Final ROM rather than the prototype, but it did reveal that these text strings still remain in the Final ROM. Given that it was only visible in the July 17 build, and removed from visible gameplay in the July 22 Build, it's understandable that the spelling errors like "midium" weren't corrected.

- Using the same generated table file for the earlier July 13 Build, we can see that the text WAS in the earliest known prototype. They did correct the spelling of "heaby" to "heavy", however.

- Despite my best efforts with relative scans, I can't find the actual dialogue script text, so the cutscene text may be compressed. I'll keep trying to generate tables to find it though. There may be other hidden goodies inside.

Last edited by Prototype; February 9th, 2016 at 05:55 AM.
Old February 9th, 2016, 03:57 AM #53
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Can't help but giggle a bit at Tigerzord's "System all green!". I thought Tommy was beyond that color already (yeah, I know what they actually meant, don't worry)
Old February 9th, 2016, 04:14 AM #54
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Can't help but giggle a bit at Tigerzord's "System all green!". I thought Tommy was beyond that color already (yeah, I know what they actually meant, don't worry)
Heh. Now that you pointed it out, it gave me a chuckle too. It's interesting that this is the only build that contains this kind of text, however. So whatever design decision led to including it was quickly overruled.
Old February 9th, 2016, 06:29 AM #55
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Wow! A boss battle against Serpentera... that would've been amazing! I've always loved the somewhat secret boss fight against the giant Lord Zedd (secret as in, you don't necessarily have to go through him to beat the game) and I can now totally imagine something in the same vein for a Megazord battle against Serpentera.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:12 AM #56
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

It's fascinating. The table of Character Names goes in the same order of Characters as the Animation Test, with 13 being Ivan Ooze, but number 14 is the two-framed Civilian sprite rather than Serpentera.

Also notice that while the list goes "Rangers", "Zords", "Putty", then "Goldar", the next slot contains "Hornitron", with the next three slots after that containing the three Scarlet Sentinels. It's only after the Sentinels that we get "Scorpitron", "Ivan Ecto-M", "Oozemen" and "Ivan Ooze".

It seems odd to order it like "Hornitron", "Scarlet Sentinels", "Scorpitron".

This implies to me that the movie characters like the Ecto-Morphicons were added later into the early character slots that may have already contained other Season 2 Monsters.

In any case, character slots 13 and onwards contain a minimal amount of sprites (3-frame Ivan Ooze, 3-frame Civilian, 2-frame Serpentera including 1-frame Statue and 1-frame Lightning), so I believe that slot 12, which comprises the Oozemen sprites may have originally also used the extra space taken up by those minimally-framed characters, presumably for Serpentera.

Now, maybe it had just been planned before the movie re-branding but they never got around to making the sprites. We have no evidence that completed sprites of Serpentera exist apart from the two frames of Serpentera that hang out in the background of the Deserted Planet, although if they were completed, I don't think that these were it.

Wow! A boss battle against Serpentera... that would've been amazing! I've always loved the somewhat secret boss fight against the giant Lord Zedd (secret as in, you don't necessarily have to go through him to beat the game) and I can now totally imagine something in the same vein for a Megazord battle against Serpentera.
Hm, interesting idea that it could've been in a similar fashion to the secret Zedd fight. Also, I remember being pretty proud of myself as a little kid when we hired the game and I found the secret Zedd area.

Also, I'm still baffled as to what the "NOW PRINTING" text strings are for. They immediately follow the Character names in the same format. Could it have been part of a development thing to print out screenshots of the game in progress for review publications directly from hardware? At the very least, given that there are four slots like this, I'm tempted to think that it may have been intended to be four more character slots.

Last edited by Prototype; February 9th, 2016 at 07:17 AM.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:21 AM #57
> Diecast
Sigh

Diecast
Sigh

Secret Zedd fight?

I recently bought that game and played through it in an hour or so and never looked at it again. (I imagine it'll be my "mindless sick-on-the-couch" game)

I remember fighting Zedd's hands as a Ranger. Was that optional?
Diecast is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:24 AM #58
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Lidar wrote: View Post

Secret Zedd fight?

I recently bought that game and played through it in an hour or so and never looked at it again. (I imagine it'll be my "mindless sick-on-the-couch" game)

I remember fighting Zedd's hands as a Ranger. Was that optional?
Yeah, we're referring to the secret area where you fight Zedd's giant hand. It was accessed by busting open a rock in one of the levels and entering a cave. But you could easily just beat up all the enemies in the level without busting the rock and still finish the stage without the Zedd fight.
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:30 AM #59
> Diecast
Sigh

Diecast
Sigh

Yeah, we're referring to the secret area where you fight Zedd's giant hand. It was accessed by busting open a rock in one of the levels and entering a cave. But you could easily just beat up all the enemies in the level without busting the rock and still finish the stage without the Zedd fight.
Okay, the level I remember had an endless onslaught of enemies that I couldn't beat. I would run out of time and slowly lose health (even regain health the enemies dropped) and then continue with more time and health only for it to happen again. I finally googled it and I think GameFAQs said the only way to beat the level was to break a rock. Thats how I knew to do that.

I would never have thought there was an actual way to beat all the enemies.

Edit: I just remembered I played the game on my Retron 5 instead of my actual Genesis. Maybe that had something to do with it?
Diecast is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM #60
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Lidar wrote: View Post

Okay, the level I remember had an endless onslaught of enemies that I couldn't beat. I would run out of time and slowly lose health (even regain health the enemies dropped) and then continue with more time and health only for it to happen again. I finally googled it and I think GameFAQs said the only way to beat the level was to break a rock. Thats how I knew to do that.

I would never have thought there was an actual way to beat all the enemies.

Edit: I just remembered I played the game on my Retron 5 instead of my actual Genesis. Maybe that had something to do with it?
Maybe I'm misremembering. Maybe you DO have to go through the cave and fight Zedd, but I could have sworn it was possible to just beat all the enemies.

Actually, I think there may have been two caves on the level, one leading to Zedd and one leading to another area you could just beat.

Hm. Now I wanna play the game and find out. It's funny, despite having gone through all these prototypes, it's been a while since I've actually sat down and played the game properly.

Last edited by Prototype; February 9th, 2016 at 07:48 AM.

Tags
bandai, games, interviews, mmpr, nintendo, retro, sega, sentai, sprites, video games