Home Menu

Menu

Old February 5th, 2016, 03:03 AM #21
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Cyrax9 wrote: View Post

It's also worth pointing out that very early on in its development, the SNES was supposed to be backwards compatible with the NES; this was something Hiroshi Yamauchi himself had pushed for. The cost of said backwards compatibility with technology available at the time made this infeasible, but early on Nintendo very much wanted the two systems to be compatible. With that in mind, it's quite possible that Bandai initially developed their Jetman game with the idea of backwards compatibility, or at the very least, the ability to easily port the game to the new console in mind, only to abandon such plans when Nintendo dropped backwards compatibility from their list of potential features for the SNES. However, if the game was designed to be easily ported, I could see Bandai just reworking the code from the NES Jetman game as a starting point for the SNES MMPR game. I love the first SNES MMPR game, and it does kind of play like an NES title with SNES graphics, so I'd say there's definitely a chance that Arectaris Returned is onto something here.
Interesting. But I'd be more willing to go with the interpretation that they just reworked the code for MMPR, rather than the idea that they were going to do an SNES Jetman or SNES Zyuranger.

However, there could be some kernel of truth to this. I mean, Famicom Jetman came out in 1991, and Famicom Zyuranger came out in 1992, with Zyuranger clearly being done by a different team.

They were both published by Angel Studios, and given Toei's habit of going back to the same team members for their Sentai/PR games (Natsume), the fact that the Arc System Works team tackled the Zyuranger game rather than the Natsume crew (barring Sunny Sasaki, who might just work for Angel) might lend credence to the idea that they were already working on something. I mean, MMPR hadn't started airing yet, and they had no idea how popular it was going to be, so maybe an SNES Jetman or SNES Zyuranger was being worked on by the Natsume crew before the decision came down to turn it into a Power Rangers game?

This wouldn't surprise me; Different Drum shows that at one point, the various weapons all had pretty different names, and we know Saban wanted to use the term "Droid" before discovering that George Lucas had trademarked it, subsequently leading to the word "Zord" being created specifically so it could be trademarked in a similar manner and give the Rangers something unique in their arsenal. "Dynamo" was a somewhat popular term in the '90s to describe a really complex, powerful piece of machinery, (usually associated with a lot of action,) so a "Megazord Dynamo" at the heart of the Megazord wouldn't be entirely unbelievable, and could have been a term from an early Saban script to indicate the transformation sequence that ultimately would become synonymous with the words "Megazord Sequence has been initiated."
Looking at SirStack's Project Hexagon page, you can see just how many differences there were in the early scripts, with a lot of things being changed on the fly. I've never found even the slightest reference to the term Dynamo, though, so if it was a remnant of an early script and not just creative license by the design team, it's got to be in even earlier scripts.

Yeah, that makes two of us! GekiCosmic wasn't kidding about finding a gem entirely by accident. Given that King Sphinx and Pudgy Pig were used in a lot of promotional material early on, I'm kind of surprised that Pudgy Pig was cut from the game, especially since by '94 he was already a pretty well known monster.
I have a theory about this. It seems like there was a concerted effort to make the game a little more "badass", with more metal-sounding tracks and more intimidating monsters like Minotaur. Maybe despite Pudgy Pig's popularity in early promotional materials, they decided to exclude him due to his overall non-threatening appearance?

Or perhaps they excluded him to be more faithful to the show's storyline, due to his unique on-screen powers, with his ability to eat the Rangers' Power Weapons (which would kind of ruin the whole special move system) and his method of defeat being to feed him spicy food, rather than just straight up beating him into submission?

Last edited by Prototype; February 5th, 2016 at 03:17 AM.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 05:52 AM #22
> SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

SanityOrMadness
TwinkleTwinkleLittleStar

Digifiend wrote: View Post

I see one of the screenshots says "switching to Megazord dynamo" - did they mishear the word "mode"?
With the way ASJ said it, I could *just about* imagine "battle mode" becoming "dynamo"...

GekiCosmic wrote: View Post

The following ad was taken from Sega Retro, and it was titled "PowerRangers_ES_PrintAd_1994-12.jpg" which suggests that at least in Spanish speaking territories, despite the game having clearly having a change in direction by July of 94, they were still promoting it there with a lot of screenshots of much earlier builds by December of 1994.

https://i.imgur.com/EAxv4XU.jpg
Well, note also the yellow Blue Ranger/Triceratops bike. That doesn't exactly indicate heavy care being taken over the ad! Maybe they *did* have final screenshots but just liked the beta ones better. Or the latter were ready to go, the former would have needed work and laziness prevailed.
SanityOrMadness is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:06 AM #23
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

I also love how Goldar is spelt as Golder.

Last edited by WhiteMystechRanger; February 5th, 2016 at 06:36 AM.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:33 AM #24
> ⚡Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

Morgan Lamia
---[DekaModerator]---

This is probably my current favourite threa. Good job, Geki.
Do you have any plans of putting together video or audio comparing differences?
Morgan Lamia is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2016, 08:13 AM #25
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Well, despite my best efforts, I can't find anything else regarding earlier prototypes for MMPR (Genesis/Megadrive), although I do feel like I've uncovered a substantial amount of changes.

So, until I manage to find more, I'll move onto the other games, starting with...

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (Game Gear)

Unlike the bevy of prototypes found of the Genesis game, there are only two known prototypes of the first Game Gear game. They are dated July 16, 1994 and August 26, 1994

Prototype Build: July 16, 1994

- In Story Mode, the pre-level Viewing Globe image of the upcoming monster is non-existent.

- Most of the in-game text exists in this build (such as the Alpha/Zordon intro) except for some of the unique phrases Rita says before each level.

- However, the regular Giant Monster levels already have Rita's standard "You made my gnarly monster fall, now you'll pay when he gets tall!" quote.

- Level 3-2 already has the unique "Magic Wand! Make my Goldar grow!" quote.

And the plot had obviously been finalized by this point, because the last level already has this.

- If you wait for a while on the title screen, the Demonstration Mode will load. This generally works fine, although for some reason if Shellshock appears in the Demo Mode, his palette is loaded incorrectly, leading to a blue shell and traffic light rather than the proper yellow ones.

In Story Mode, Shellshock's yellow shell palette usually loads correctly, and I've only ever had the blue shell palette load in Story Mode once, leading me to believe that it mayhave something to do with letting the Shellshock Demo run through before starting Story Mode.

Shellshock's palette always seems to load correctly within the Vs. Mode's character select screen and the ensuing battle, and I'll note that the blue Shellshock is NOT Shellshock's alternate Dream Vs. palette, as Shellshock's alternate Dream Vs. palette changes the green parts of Shellshock to blue (a completely different shade mind you) rather than the yellow parts.

- If we take a look at the Vs. Mode character select, we can see that they haven't programmed in all the characters yet. In this build, the only available characters are:

Red Ranger
Blue Ranger
Yellow Ranger
Black Ranger
Pink Ranger
Green Ranger
Megazord
Goldar
King Sphinx
Putty Patroller
Shellshock

This leaves out Dragonzord, Dragonzord in Fighting Mode, Polluticorn, Nasty Knight, and Cyclopsis.

- If we take a look at the Options Menu, we see a slightly more advanced menu than the next build, containing an already unlocked Dream Vs. option (In the final, Dream Vs. has to be unlocked by beating the game).

- We also see a Sound Test, however unlike the next build and the final, rather than successive decimal numbers starting from 0, the Sound Test starts from 81 and counts upwards in a hexadecimal format. For some reason, there's also the letter H appended to the end of the Sound Test number. As far as I can tell though, the actual sound and music has been finalized.

- We then have a Stage Select option, allowing you to choose any of the available levels. All of the levels seem to be programmed in as normal, with the pre-level titles being clear markers that they know which enemy is intended for each stage.

- It just occurred to me that some of the enemy palette errors in Story Mode seem to be caused by selecting certain stages via the Stage Select. If you select the levels that are meant for the characters that aren't programmed in yet, you'll be confronted with the wrong enemy, with the wrong palette.

- When selecting the stage where you're supposed to fight Dragonzord (4-1) , you fight a placeholder Megazord with a green palette swap. However, this actually IS Megazord's alternate Dream Vs. palette. Either it was intentionally green to represent Dragonzord, or it's just an automatic effect of you fighting your own character which is usually only possible in Dream Vs.

- Of note is that on the following level where you fight Green Ranger (4-2), he's referred to as "Green Ranger" rather than "Evil Green" like in later builds.

- Note that much like the lack of Viewing Globe pictures, this build also lacks the Giant Monster summoning pictures, along with a lack of Green Ranger/Dragonzord/Dragonzord F. summoning pictures. It does however contain the regular Megazord summoning sequence.

- Next on the Options screen we have the Pattern Check option.

This takes you to a screen where you can cycle through the different characters, their individual frames, and their individual animations made up of said frames. In the top right corner there is a little window showing each 8x8 tile that makes up the current selected frame. Beneath that is a little palette window, with the top 8 colours representing the regular palette, and the bottom 8 colours representing the Dream Vs. palette.

Now, this is interesting, because in this build we've only got 10 characters. The six Rangers, Megazord, Goldar, King Sphinx and Shellshock. All of these characters have their full set of frames and animations.

However, we can see that work has begun on implementing the rest of the character sprites. For the remaining characters such as Dragonzord, Dragonzord in Fighting Mode, Nasty Knight, Polluticorn and Cyclopsis, so far they only have one frame of animation, which is their normal standing pose.

Despite not having more than one frame, all of the characters except Dragonzord and Dragonzord in Fighting Mode have alternate Dream Vs. palettes. For the two Dragonzord variants, their Dream Vs. palette hasn't been added and we're merely shown 7 black squares plus a red square.

Also, I'm unsure on Polluticorn's proper alternate palette but here it just all seems to be the one shade of teal, plus black and white. And it took me until my 5th post edit to notice that Cyclopsis and Nasty Knight share the same alternate palette in this build. (Hey, I can't catch everything on the first go!)

The lack of alternate palette, combined with the arrangement of Character Select slots in Vs. Mode compared to the next build suggests to me that the Dragonzords were added last. While Dragonzord and Dragonzord F. are numbered as Characters 11 and 12 respectively, with Nasty Knight, Polluticorn and Cyclopsis respectively being 13, 14 and 15, it appears like this numbering was so the various Zord characters would show up next to each other in the Character Select slots in the next build.

Oddly enough, it doesn't seem like any of the character palette entries (regular or alternate) correspond to the odd Shellshock colouring, so perhaps the game's just reading aesthetically pleasing garbage data for the palette, or a combination of two different palette entries.

- Pattern Check Mode also includes a neat little feature where you can see the Damage Area (DM AREA) and Attack Area (AT AREA) of each character for each frame. Damage Area is the area in which you can be hit by an enemy, and Attack Area is the part of the character's body that will hurt an enemy when you attack.

- Finally, we have Move Test. This is exactly what it sounds like. It allows you to control a selected character on screen like you would in a battle, and test their moves, only it's in an entirely blank environment rather than a level. The part that says "Normal" is able to be switched to AT AREA and DM AREA to see the hit detectors in motion, but I'm not certain what the alterable SET value does if anything.

Anyway, stay tuned for the comparison with the next build. I'll update this post with that, and with pictures showing the things described above from the July 16 Build. I just figure people might want to read this while I go sort all of that out.

SanityOrMadness wrote: View Post

With the way ASJ said it, I could *just about* imagine "battle mode" becoming "dynamo"...
Hah.

SanityOrMadness wrote: View Post

Well, note also the yellow Blue Ranger/Triceratops bike. That doesn't exactly indicate heavy care being taken over the ad! Maybe they *did* have final screenshots but just liked the beta ones better. Or the latter were ready to go, the former would have needed work and laziness prevailed.
Well, that is a valid point. But part of me just thinks that they turned the Blue Ranger yellow because they were already using so much yellow ink that it was a bit of a cost-saving measure. Or, you know, it's one of the rare times that they wanted to show some gender equality.

Oh, who am I kidding, they just didn't care.

Last edited by Prototype; February 5th, 2016 at 09:23 AM.
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:00 AM #26
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

Thanks for posting about the Game Gear stuff.

As I've said before it is my favourite of the PR games, a really solid and fluid fighter with a fantastic cast of characters. It would never happen but I would love a polished HD remake with redrawn sprites and extra monsters.

I would add in:
-Madam Woe
-Scorpina
-Gnarly Gnome
-Terror Toad
-Pudgy Pig
-Might Minotaur

I'm not joking when I saw that MMPR Game Gear was the best fighting game on handhelds for pretty much a decade until Street Fighter started getting GBA titles.
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:03 AM #27
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Internutt wrote: View Post

Thanks for posting about the Game Gear stuff.

As I've said before it is my favourite of the PR games, a really solid and fluid fighter with a fantastic cast of characters. It would never happen but I would love a polished HD remake with redrawn sprites and extra monsters.

I would add in:
-Madam Woe
-Scorpina
-Gnarly Gnome
-Terror Toad
-Pudgy Pig
-Might Minotaur

I'm not joking when I saw that MMPR Game Gear was the best fighting game on handhelds for pretty much a decade until Street Fighter started getting GBA titles.
Given how simplistic all the other PR games were, I was astonished how much this game has to offer in the way of moves. Going by the Pattern Check, each Ranger has at least 80 individual frames of animation, not to mention the Zords. I guess they were trying to compensate for it being on a less powerful system, but my god, they friggin' exceeded themselves.

I'll update the thread with the next build tomorrow some time, which is far enough along that it has finished sprites of all the characters.

The Pattern Check still works, although the related text that's visible in this build doesn't show. The numbers do, however, once you start cycling through them. So in future builds you can't see the 8x8 tiles or the palettes, but you can still cycle through the now-completed frames and animations.

I'll just say that the existence of a Pattern Check is a godsend to sprite rippers. As far as I know, nobody seems to have ripped all the Game Gear sprites.

Last edited by Prototype; February 5th, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old February 5th, 2016, 09:16 AM #28
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

Just the ability to combo from Tank Mode to Power sword, an upper cut to shooting lightning from the helmets.

They all had really silly moves that were just fun as hell to do. Shellshock had the stop light, Dragonzord F. could charge forward with the drill staff, Green Ranger had the Sword of Darkness, King Sphinx could whip out a tornado, Goldar could swoop down from above and slash you with his sword and each Ranger had a move using their weapons.

It was beautiful.

I also want to get a rip of the game's soundtrack, that was beastin!

EDIT: I played multiplayer constantly since I owned a link cable, 2 Game Gears and a link cable (the extra Game Gear was a gift dad was given from work). When the consoles still worked it was great to us them as proof that there was such a thing as a decent PR game.

Last edited by WhiteMystechRanger; February 5th, 2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old February 5th, 2016, 10:30 AM #29
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Just the ability to combo from Tank Mode to Power sword, an upper cut to shooting lightning from the helmets.

They all had really silly moves that were just fun as hell to do. Shellshock had the stop light, Dragonzord F. could charge forward with the drill staff, Green Ranger had the Sword of Darkness, King Sphinx could whip out a tornado, Goldar could swoop down from above and slash you with his sword and each Ranger had a move using their weapons.

It was beautiful.

I also want to get a rip of the game's soundtrack, that was beastin!

EDIT: I played multiplayer constantly since I owned a link cable, 2 Game Gears and a link cable (the extra Game Gear was a gift dad was given from work). When the consoles still worked it was great to us them as proof that there was such a thing as a decent PR game.
Each Ranger had multiple moves using their weapons, actually. Also, it was kind of weird that King Sphinx had the Hurricane attack in this game, but in the original Megadrive game, Goldar had the Hurricane attack.

I wonder if that was just coincidence, or if maybe the Megadrive game was also originally intended to have King Sphinx? I mean, King Sphinx was one of those early monsters that were advertised a lot, like Pudgy Pig, and we now know that Pudgy Pig was intended for the Megadrive game.

Who knows what kind of design documents they had at Banpresto, regarding specifics of character attacks? Maybe despite the first Megadrive game being developed by Nova Co., Ltd. and all subsequent Sega PR games (barring the Sega CD FMV game) being developed by SIMS Co., Ltd, they might have all been working from internal Saban/Banpresto design documents to some degree?

Assuming King Sphinx was intended for the first Megadrive game, maybe once they scrapped King Sphinx, they gave the already-programmed Hurricane attack to Goldar, briefly giving it a gold palette before changing their minds and changing it back to light blue? I have no proof, but hey. Food for thought.

You know, I've never checked to see if there are any emulators with Game Gear link functionality. I wonder if there are any major differences in link functionality between builds, and if not, would a link battle between two different builds of the game yield any interesting buggy results?

Morgan Lamia wrote: View Post

This is probably my current favourite threa. Good job, Geki.
Do you have any plans of putting together video or audio comparing differences?
Hm. I suppose I could try. Does anyone know of free screen recording software (preferably one without a shitload of watermarks and adware, because I've been burned before)

At the very least I could probably catalogue the sound differences between builds by recording and comparing each individual sound test slot from each build, rather than my first shoddy attempt to transcribe the sound differences through text.

I also love how Goldar is spelt as Golder.
What gets me is that the Spanish Promo poster spells it as Golder even in the non-game text. Has anyone seen the Spanish dub? Is Goldar referred to as Golder in that, or were they - for whatever ridiculous reason - just using the typo'd name that was in the game footage?

I'd say the latter, given how inaccurate the poster's text is. I ran it through Google Translate earlier today and if I'm remembering correctly, it seemed to imply that Goldar was the big bad of the show, and that he himself had minions.

I'm gonna just assume nobody knew what the hell they were on about.

Last edited by Prototype; February 5th, 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old February 5th, 2016, 06:33 PM #30
> Wahirsch
New User | Cosplayer

eBay
Wahirsch
New User | Cosplayer

eBay

This is all very interesting. Thanks for doing the research!
Wahirsch is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 12:58 AM #31
> Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Cyrax9
VIP Rider

Interesting. But I'd be more willing to go with the interpretation that they just reworked the code for MMPR, rather than the idea that they were going to do an SNES Jetman or SNES Zyuranger.
This is most likely what happened, but I figured it was worth mentioning the other possibility given the timeframe of when the game was released and the fact that the SNES was still very much a new console at the time.

However, there could be some kernel of truth to this. I mean, Famicom Jetman came out in 1991, and Famicom Zyuranger came out in 1992, with Zyuranger clearly being done by a different team.
It's worth pointing out that the use of a different team for the Zyuranger game might have been influenced by rules laid out directly from Nintendo. Basically, Nintendo had a five title limit for the number of games that a company could publish per year once the Famicom/NES was released stateside. The whole point was to ensure quality, and to prevent another 1983 where crapware killed the video games market. To work around this, larger publishers would create "sub–publishers" that were really just shell corporations for development teams, which is why for example, "Ultra Games" released the first NES TMNT game despite its PC counterpart simply carrying the Konami logo on it from the get–go. With the Super Famicom/SNES, the number of titles per year from a single company was increased to seven, (Nintendo later dropped the cap entirely,) so it's possible that Natsume would have exceeded Nintendo's cap for '92 had they handled both the MMPR and Zyuranger game, and that Toei opted to put them on the MMPR game, or they chose said game over the Zyuranger game knowing that they had some level of usable code that wouldn't be too difficult to cash in on. I don't know how many titles Natsume released in '91 or '92, but if they were close to their cap, it could indicate why Toei didn't tap them for the Zyuranger game as well. (I just remembered Nintendo's limits for titles released per year a couple of hours ago, hence why I didn't mention it sooner.)

Looking at SirStack's Project Hexagon page, you can see just how many differences there were in the early scripts, with a lot of things being changed on the fly. I've never found even the slightest reference to the term Dynamo, though, so if it was a remnant of an early script and not just creative license by the design team, it's got to be in even earlier scripts.
That's actually a very interesting point, and while it could have just been an error/creative license, it wouldn't surprise me if "dynamo" was one of those on–the–fly changes from the early days, especially given how the show was put together and how quickly changes would come in for extremely early scripts. I'm half–convinced that Different Drum turned out the way it did because Saban Entertainment didn't even have the time to tweak it before broadcast, and the changes just stuck since it probably wasn't worth the money to alter the episode for rebroadcast with everything else that had to be done to crank out 60 episodes for a single season of the show.

I have a theory about this. It seems like there was a concerted effort to make the game a little more "badass", with more metal-sounding tracks and more intimidating monsters like Minotaur. Maybe despite Pudgy Pig's popularity in early promotional materials, they decided to exclude him due to his overall non-threatening appearance?

Or perhaps they excluded him to be more faithful to the show's storyline, due to his unique on-screen powers, with his ability to eat the Rangers' Power Weapons (which would kind of ruin the whole special move system) and his method of defeat being to feed him spicy food, rather than just straight up beating him into submission?
Unfortunately, I have to agree with your theory about Pudgy Pig being removed to make the game more "badass," as it's pretty obvious that the development team was doing that based on what you've shown from the beta builds. Pudgy Pig suffers from what I like to describe as "Tribble Syndrome;" he looks pretty harmless, and even kind of comical, but he's pretty lethal despite those looks. The "problem" is that this kind of cute but deadly character doesn't really fit with the "badass" concept, and definitely wouldn't fit with it in the '90s, so I can understand why he was removed. It's also possible that you're right about him being removed since it would screw with the special move system, although if that's the case, I'm kind of a bit more disappointed that he was taken out of the game, because I think it would have presented an interesting gameplay dynamic if your special moves were disabled and you somehow had to use spicy food to defeat Pudgy Pig. (Imagine facing him with disabled specials and having to rely on something like a food truck for Tacos or Burritos to throw at him.) As much as this seems like it should be a coding nightmare, Mortal Kombat and similar titles had ways to disable specials, so something like this with a level–specific way to defeat Pudgy Pig doesn't seem like it should have been completely impossible. Oh well, if we ever get that PR game aimed at older fans that people keep dreaming about, maybe someone will run with this idea knowing that older fans would eat it up. (Yes, I know that was a terrible, horrible pun, but I just couldn't resist.)
Cyrax9 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 05:04 AM #32
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers (Game Gear)

Moving onto the next prototype, before we tackle the Game Gear Movie games, the game is pretty much close to completion at this point. On first glance, I can't notice any substantial differences from the final version, so I'm guessing that from this point on, there might have just been small A.I. and interface tweaks.

Prototype Build: August 26, 1994

- Unlike the previous version, we now have the pre-level Viewing Globe images.

- By this version it seems that all the characters and their moves have been implemented.

- The in-game dialogue seems to have been completed, and Level 3-2's text has been updated to "Make my Goldar and my Ranger grow!"

- The Options Menu has had it's extra features like Pattern Check and Move Test removed, leaving it the same as it is in the final version. Note that the Sound Test numbers are now in decimal format rather than hexadecimal.

- Like the final version, you can now perform a code on the Title Screen (Up, Down, Left Right, Down, Up) to unlock the "Extra Option" menu.

The Extra Option menu gives you the option to enable Dream Vs. mode, and has a Stage Select function. Unlike the previous build, with this Stage Select option you simply have to press Start once you've selected a Stage number, and it will immediately load. In the previous version you had to select the Stage number, exit the Options Menu and select Story Mode for it to go to the desired stage.

- The Pattern Check option can still be accessed by entering the Pro Action Replay code of "00C515:05". Enable the code upon booting the game, press Start on the Title Screen, and then disable the code. You'll see the little Menu Selection lightning bolt appear on a non-existent Menu Option. Press Start and it will take you to "Check Option".

- Check Option gives you two options. Pattern Check and Ending Check. Ending Check will take you straight to the End Credits sequence.

- It seems by this build, the Pattern Check functionality has been partially disabled. While the Pattern Check still functions like it did in the previous build, allowing you to view each character, frame, and animation, the accompanying text, Tile Window and Palette Window is now non-existent. However, the numbers corresponding to each character/frame/animation will still appear as soon as you start to cycle through them.

- If we cycle through the characters, we can now see that the previous characters have all their frames and animations added. As noted in the previous analysis, Dragonzord and Dragonzord F. have had their character numbers shifted so they appear closer to Megazord in the Vs. Mode character select.

Interestingly, we can see that while the previous build had begun to implement the standing sprites of those characters, none of the early standing sprites are an exact match for their current frames.

You can see that the early sprites are slightly different to this build's nearest analogues, and their palettes have changed quite a bit.

From what I can tell, these newly added sprites are completely identical to the final version. If there are any differences at all between the August prototype sprites and the final, it would be on the most minute level, like a pixel or two changed, but I'm certain that these are finalized as I can't notice anything different.

- As you would expect from the new Zord characters being added, the Story Mode's Zord Select screen has been implemented.

- Lastly, during the Demonstration Mode, it seems to always default to the Rangers fighting Putties, or otherwise either the Rangers or the Megazord fighting Goldar or Nasty Knight. No other monsters seem to appear in the Demo mode.

EDIT: And just because I enjoy meaningless milestones, woo, 1,111 page views!

It's worth pointing out that the use of a different team for the Zyuranger game might have been influenced by rules laid out directly from Nintendo. Basically, Nintendo had a five title limit for the number of games that a company could publish per year once the Famicom/NES was released stateside. The whole point was to ensure quality, and to prevent another 1983 where crapware killed the video games market. To work around this, larger publishers would create "sub–publishers" that were really just shell corporations for development teams, which is why for example, "Ultra Games" released the first NES TMNT game despite its PC counterpart simply carrying the Konami logo on it from the get–go. With the Super Famicom/SNES, the number of titles per year from a single company was increased to seven, (Nintendo later dropped the cap entirely,) so it's possible that Natsume would have exceeded Nintendo's cap for '92 had they handled both the MMPR and Zyuranger game, and that Toei opted to put them on the MMPR game, or they chose said game over the Zyuranger game knowing that they had some level of usable code that wouldn't be too difficult to cash in on. I don't know how many titles Natsume released in '91 or '92, but if they were close to their cap, it could indicate why Toei didn't tap them for the Zyuranger game as well. (I just remembered Nintendo's limits for titles released per year a couple of hours ago, hence why I didn't mention it sooner.)
Huh. Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware of Nintendo's 5-title limit. Bearing in mind the habit of creating shell corporations for the development teams, could Arc System Works have been some kind of subsidiary of Natsume?

In any case, while online game lists are contradictory and incomplete, it seems that in 1991, Natsume did develop at least five games. I'm not sure on how truthful the following list is because sites often seem to confuse developers with publishers. Also, I'm guessing that the amount of games released that year doesn't necessarily correspond to how many games were developed that year, so that could be an explanation for why I've come up with more than 5 games.

According to this page (or rather the Discussion tab on that page), while there seems to be a dead link used as evidence, the first post seems to suggest that Natsume DID only develop five games for the Famicom. So I'm not entirely sure where the truth lies. Probably somewhere in-between with the possibility of shell corporations like you suggest.
From what I can tell, the Natsume-developed games released in 1991 are:

- Chaos World
- Mahjong RPG Dora Dora Dora
- S.C.A.T.: Special Cybernetic Attack Team
- Tokkyu Shirei Solbrain/Shatterhand (which plays similarly to Jetman, incidentally, and was also published by Angel)
- Choujin Sentai Jetman
- Heroes of the Lance
- Palamedes II: Star Twinkles
But your insight is invaluable, Cyrax9, and it could very well be the reason why Arc System Works developed the Zyuranger game, rather than the explanation I postulated, assuming that they were entirely separate from Natsume.

Also, it should be noted that whatever the case, the first SNES MMPR game didn't come out until Nov 23, 1995. Although given that the character spirte designs resemble that of the earliest episodes, it seems to have been worked on for quite a while.

Interestingly, it seems like they may still have been working from comparatively old design documents by the time the Movie game came out, given that the sequel used very early pictures of the original cast for the Character Select screen. Billy had his glasses from the Pilot and the other original cast pictures looked really young. The pictures of Adam, Rocky and Aisha on the other hand, were clearly taken at later date, and appears like they were all taken at the same time.

This makes me wonder if originally, the second MMPR game for SNES was supposed to include Jason, Zack and Trini? And could the hasty change in cast be the reason why the MMPR:TM sprites are in the same style but contain less frames than the original game's sprites? I mean, the Movie games for both SNES and Megadrive were clearly going to be based on MMPR Season 2, rather than the Movie, and we all know how hastily the cast was changed.

The Megadrive Movie game was almost entirely based around Season 2, and the fact that it was straight up adapting the S2 storylines would explain why they had to have Jason, Zack and Trini in the later half of the game rather than sticking with Rocky, Adam and Aisha for the entirety. It helped that they were always morphed. The game also contained Thunder Megazord and White Tigerzord despite them not appearing in the movie.

Going by the Pattern Check in all of the Movie games from Megadrive to Game Gear to SNES, it's clear that Ivan Ooze (and the Oozemen in the case of Megadrive) was added very late into production in all of them, and with Ivan Ooze, he's never got more than a few frames.

Interestingly, in the case of the SNES Movie game, unlike the first SNES MMPR game, there weren't any Zord Battles. It seems odd to exclude that from a straight up sequel, but since they weren't adapting Season 2 storylines like the Megadrive game did, they couldn't use flashback cutscenes for a flimsy excuse to include them.

Other things of note is that the SNES Movie game clearly has Z-Putties as enemies. I presume that once they got the memo on the Oozemen (which is fairly late in the game, given the whole Giant Rat thing) they just hastily recoloured the Z-Putties purple to resemble the Oozemen. You can tell that it was a hasty recolour, since one of the much later levels has an alternate kind of Putty that throws things at you from a window, and unlike any other Putty in the game, it's coloured in the standard Z-Putty grey.

Of course, if they were going to include Zord Battles in the SNES MMPR:TM game and had to scrap them due to the Movie branding, could this be why they ended up making The Fighting Edition? Maybe they already had Thunder Megazord and Tigerzord sprites at the ready and it was a waste to scrap them. It seems logical that they'd kill two birds with one stone and use the game as an opportunity to use the unused Thunderzord sprites while also advertising the new Ninja Megazord and Shogun Megazord to impressionable young kids. This is just a theory though. However, going by the credits of MMPR:TM, "Power Rangers 3: The Fighting Edition" was already planned by the time this game was finished, so there could be a kernel of truth in that.

To be honest though, I have my doubts that MMPR:TM for SNES was even intended to be a Power Rangers game from the start anyway. Saban was usually pretty good about making sure that products stuck to the agreed design elements. But in this game, the level design elements, and all the non-Boss, non-Putty enemies look like they're from a completely different intellectual property. There are weird levels, weird labs, odd robotic enemies, odd humanoid enemies. Hell, some of the Putties even fire guns and carry swords. If you remove the Ranger sprites and the Boss MotDs from the equation, there's nothing to indicate that it even was a Power Rangers game. Remember that the original game asserted the MMPR design wherever it could, with Power Coins and the like.

Could it be that this was a completely unrelated beat 'em up from Natsume that was hastily rebranded into a MMPR S2 game, which was then hastily re-edited again for the new cast and the upcoming movie? Given all of the non-PR-esque level and enemy art, the similar-yet-different game engine, oddities like Unmorphed Adam having a Shoryuken-like attack, and the re-use of the first game's Ranger sprites (except for White Ranger), all signs seem to support the fact that this was just a rushed re-branded Natsume beat 'em up game to capitalize on the Christmas period.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with your theory about Pudgy Pig being removed to make the game more "badass," as it's pretty obvious that the development team was doing that based on what you've shown from the beta builds. Pudgy Pig suffers from what I like to describe as "Tribble Syndrome;" he looks pretty harmless, and even kind of comical, but he's pretty lethal despite those looks. The "problem" is that this kind of cute but deadly character doesn't really fit with the "badass" concept, and definitely wouldn't fit with it in the '90s, so I can understand why he was removed. It's also possible that you're right about him being removed since it would screw with the special move system, although if that's the case, I'm kind of a bit more disappointed that he was taken out of the game, because I think it would have presented an interesting gameplay dynamic if your special moves were disabled and you somehow had to use spicy food to defeat Pudgy Pig. (Imagine facing him with disabled specials and having to rely on something like a food truck for Tacos or Burritos to throw at him.) As much as this seems like it should be a coding nightmare, Mortal Kombat and similar titles had ways to disable specials, so something like this with a level–specific way to defeat Pudgy Pig doesn't seem like it should have been completely impossible. Oh well, if we ever get that PR game aimed at older fans that people keep dreaming about, maybe someone will run with this idea knowing that older fans would eat it up. (Yes, I know that was a terrible, horrible pun, but I just couldn't resist.)
Given the basic nature of the fighter however, I'm leaning more towards them removing him due to his non-threatening appearance. I feel like if they had any intention of more complex game mechanics, they would've reared their head in one way or another, and on the whole, I have to say that the Megadrive MMPR game is very unpolished. Although I suppose that the unpolished nature of the game could be a side effect of needing to divert all the attention to redesigning the game from the ground up, although one would think that the need to alter the graphics to such an extent wouldn't exactly impede the programmers from improving the game mechanics.

Also, while this is a bit of a separate tangent and unrelated to the SEGA prototypes, just while we're on the subject of Natsume-developed PR/Sentai games, it seems that the business relationship lasted well into the 2000s. Even by the 2000s, members from the Jetman days were working on PR games, and at least one of them appears to have taken on multiple roles.

Iku Mizutani, who created the Sound Driver for Choujin Sentai Jetman (Famicom) was both the Producer and Composer on the Power Rangers Time Force game for Game Boy Color on Natsume's side (The various companies involved all seem to have some kind of "Producer" of their own, but I'd imagine this is the only one pertinent to programming), and appears to have also worked on the GBC Lightspeed Rescue game too.

Iku Mizutani appears to have both a website and a public Facebook page (link withheld). One of these days I may attempt to secure an interview and ask him about his work on PR games and in the industry in general, but that's not exactly a priority at the moment.

Also, this website appears to be quite up to date, listing the various Natsume games that he composed for, along with his co-composers, right up until the 3DS era. Although I have to say, I'm surprised that Geocities is still active in Japan!

Interestingly, the Game Boy Colour games seem to take a LOT of influence engine-wise from Choujin Sentai Jetman (Famicom), especially the exceedingly simple Zord Battles. We just can't get away from Jetman, can we?

For interest's sake, Natsume appears to have developed the following Toku related games.

[PSX]
- Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger (JP Publisher: Bandai)
- Ninpuu Sentai Hurricaneger (JP Publisher: Bandai)

[GBC]
- Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue (US/EU Publisher: THQ)
- Power Rangers: Time Force (US/EU Publisher: THQ)

[GBA]
- Power Rangers: Wild Force (US Publisher: THQ)
- Power Rangers: Ninja Storm (US/EU Publisher: THQ)
- Power Rangers: Dino Thunder (US/EU Publisher: THQ)
- Power Rangers S.P.D. (US/EU Publisher: THQ)

[DS]

- Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger: Atsumete Henshin! 35 Sentai! (JP/KR Publisher: Bandai)
- Kamen Rider Battle: Ganbaride Card Battle Taisen (JP Publisher: Bandai)

- Also, given the sheer amount of tangents and post edits I've made, I want to thank anybody who managed to read this far, and managed to put up with my poor post formatting. I promise I'll get back to the Prototype Discussion in my next post.

Last edited by Prototype; February 6th, 2016 at 09:21 AM.
Old February 7th, 2016, 10:15 PM #33
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Having gone as far as I can with the previous prototype, I'll move onto the direct sequel.

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie (Game Gear)

This time around, we only have one available prototype, dated May 30th, 1995.

Interestingly, this game is built from the same engine as the original MMPR for Game Gear, and thus it's interesting to compare this prototype with both the final version of the game, and the previous game.

Prototype Build: May 30, 1995.

- If we look at the opening text crawl, it's almost identical to the final version. Interestingly enough, the prototype's term of "Zords" was changed to "Power Zords" in the final version. I'm not sure why that was the case, especially given that the Megadrive MMPR:TM game uses the same opening text crawl and none of the available prototypes nor the final version of that game changed it to "Power Zords".

- This prototype has already implemented the Viewing Globe Monster pictures.

- If we look at the menu, we can see that in both the prototype AND the final version, the Sound Test numbers are in Hexadecimal format rather than Decimal format, implying that this game was built from one of the MMPR (Game Gear) Prototypes rather than being built from the final version, as the MMPR (Game Gear) prototypes also had the Sound Test in Hexadecimal format.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that it might have been the prototype without all the characters implemented, just so they didn't have to remove all the old Monster character sprites, but that's just a theory.

- If we take a look at the Vs. Screen, the background is more basic, missing the two lightning bolt symbols. It seems like all instances of this bright blue background were changed to a darker blue for the final.

- Much like the previous game, you can enter the Pro Action Replay code of 00C515:05 to access the "Check Option" screen, giving you access to Pattern Check and Ending Check.

- While the final version allowed a code on the Title Screen (Up, Down, Left, Right, Up, Up, Down, Down) to access the Extra Option menu, using the button code in the May 30, 1995 prototype gives you access to both Extra Option AND a selectable Check Option (handy for those who don't like using PAR codes).

- While the previous game's final version still allowed the Pattern Check to be accessed through codes, in MMPR:TM's final version, while the menu option still exists on the now usually non-accessible Check Option screen, the Pattern Check interface itself seems to have been removed completely, only allowing access to the Ending Check.

However, in the May 30, 1995 prototype, this game's Pattern Check is still completely active, allowing you to see each character, their individual frames, and animations.

- It seems like all the character sprites have been finalized at this point, although much like MMPR (GG)'s later prototypes, the Pattern Check doesn't seem to contain the Palette Window or the Tile Window from the earliest MMPR (GG) prototype. However, it does contain the Pattern Check text interface that was missing in later MMPR (GG) prototypes.

- This game has an interesting new feature, which exists in both the final and prototype: the Size option. By accessing the Extra Option menu (or by using Pattern Check) there's an option to change the size of the characters. This has two states: Normal and Large. This allows you to fight as giant versions of your character on each stage, or in the case of Pattern Check, simply VIEW giant versions of the characters.

- Looking at the level intros, between this prototype and the final, punctuation and grammar has been added to Stage 4's Ivan Ooze intro. The script is otherwise unchanged. Although I'd like to point out that there's a reference to the "Order of Meledan" in the prototype and final, which I believe was part of an earlier script revision of the movie.

- Stage 5's intro also contains minor text edits. Note that a spelling error has made it's way from this build to the final. The text says "Pheados" rather than "Phaedos".

- Unlike the previous spelling error, they did manage to correct "Langing" to "Landing" and "Give" to "Gives" by the final version. A lot of the edits just seem to correct present-tense to past-tense.

- When the text says "The Rangers blast back to Earth", the prototype keeps a black background, whereas the final version includes images of the Ranger helmets whizzing past.

- While the Ending sequence is completed, there's one difference between the prototype and the final. In between Zordon's congratulations and the Credits sequence, the final version has a quick flash of "THE POWER IS ON", whereas the prototype cuts straight from Zordon's congratulations to the Credits sequence.

- Finally, there's a slight difference in the Credits sequence. In the prototype, it lists Hiroko Kato as "Tester", whereas the final adds "Hideo Yamaguchi" and updates the text to "Testers".

Last edited by Prototype; February 7th, 2016 at 11:56 PM.
Old February 7th, 2016, 11:41 PM #34
> a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

a squad
Gettin Supercharged Up

About the MMPR Movie SNES game I think I might have an explanation for it. I don't remember what issue where but I swear on my whole PR collection that I saw in a Nintendo Power magazine that there was an upcoming title for the SNES called Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Wrath Of Lord Zedd. This was before the movie game came out so I honestly believe this was meant to be a season 2 based game. That would explain all the Z emblems plus the fact that the final battle takes place in Zedds Throne Room. Hell the Lord Zedd model from The Fighting Edition could've been intended for for this game. So I think that it was always intended to be a MMPR game just not a movie based one.
a squad is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 03:53 AM #35
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

I return to you once again bearing gifts. For this post, we're going to focus on...

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie (Megadrive/Genesis)

For this game we have five prototypes, although only a few bear any immediate noticeable differences.

The individual build dates are as follows.

- July 13, 1995
- July 17, 1995
- July 22, 1995
- July 24, 1995
- July 25, 1995.

Prototype Build: July 13, 1995

- The game is almost completed at this point, but it contains the most noticeable differences from the final version.

- Jumping out at you straight away is a typo error in the opening text crawl. It misspells "Interdimensional" as "Interdimentional". The text crawl, however, is almost identical to the text crawl from the Game Gear game, and indeed the movie itself.

- If you wait for the Demonstration Mode to occur, you'll see that it's unfinished at this point. It loads a level without enemies or player movement, and more noticeably it loads White Ranger's sprite with Blue Ranger's palette.

If you let the timer count down to zero, the health meter will slowly deplete until the Ranger dies. You either have to press Start or reset the game at this point.

- Selecting 1 Player or 2 Player mode takes you to a rudimentary Stage Select screen, with what appears to be an option to toggle Damage on or off, although I've tried it and neither option seems to actually toggle the Damage on or off.

- While this error exists in the final version of the game too, I thought it was interesting to point out that this game gives Ivan Ooze's captors as the "Order of Meledian" rather than the "Order of Meledan". The script is otherwise the same as its equivalent from the Game Gear game.

- In the first stage, enemy spawn points are different from the final version, not to mention that each level area (where you defeat enemies until the "Go" arrow appears) triggers at different points.

- The first cutscene refers to Zordon and Alpha 5 as ZORDON and ALPHA 5. While this also occurs in the final version, it's odd as none of the other cutscenes (or indeed the usage of their names immediately following this) use ALLCAPS for their name, or indeed, any other name.

- Both the prototypes and the final refer to "Phaedos" as "Pheados".

- Making the same script alteration between builds as the Movie game on Game Gear, the prototype's cutscene says "In the meanwhile" rather than "Meanwhile"

- The game in all revisions refers to the Monolith in the Neola Jungle. While this isn't exactly a prototype difference, I'm not certain if the term "Neola Jungle" made it to the final Movie or if it was from earlier scripts.

- We get more slight script changes.

- We get another typo, with them misspelling "Skeleton" as "Skelton". Damn that Red Skelton, getting in the way of our Powers!

- The game in all it's revisions refers to "Hornitron" rather than "Hornitor".

- By the final, "Stone Gargoyles" has been capitalized.

- A comma was added in the final version.

- "The Earth" was changed to "Earth" in the final.

- The tagline "THE POWER IS ON!" was much less urgent in the prototype, sounding more like someone had just switched on a light.

- Selecting Stage 2, we see the Ecto-Morphicon summoning screen. The prototype only shows Hornitor before going to the Zord Select screen, whereas the final version shows Hornitor and Scorpitron in succession.

- It appears that the prototype consistently gives you less time on the Timer for each and every stage.

- This build lacks the exclamation mark during Rocky's quote.

- Oddly, the following dialogue sounded much more natural in the prototype. I guess it was changed to emphasize that they had just joined the team, but we ended up with two "...'X' replied..." parts in a row.

- More punctuation errors, with them using a comma instead of a period, and the immediate dialogue afterwards running on from the comma rather than using a capital first letter.

- While this part remains the same between builds, I'd like to point out that they were Stone Canyon teenagers, not Angel Grove teenagers at that point in the story.

- While there weren't any dialogue changes, some words have been capitalized, and in the case of the final build, part of the text shifted over to the next screen.

Interestingly, the game in all revisions refers to the "Forbidden Planet" and the "Sword of Legend" rather than the terms that ended up in the show: "Deserted Planet" and "Sword of Light". Early Power Transfer script remnant?

- The dialogue in the following cutscene remains the same in the July 13 and July 17 builds, but changes by the July 22 build.

- By the next build, they've capitalized "booger man" and added quotation marks. Interestingly, the European version of the final game contains a couple of regional differences like removing the pedestrians from the first stage and changing "Don't let that Booger Man escape!" to "Don't let him escape!", possibly due to the existence of the Boogerman game?

- This build's Ending Sequence contains a black background rather than an image of the Power Rangers, which is odd, as the image already exists in the ROM.

- The Bulk & Skull scene at the end made a few slight changes to punctuation, grammar, spelling, and the script.

- The prototype's Ending Credits Sequence uses a different font than the final, and contains lacks the final's cool little text-fading effect.

- The Ending Credits contain a developer's pseudonym. Zin-ei Ando rather than Yoshihide Ando.

- We get minor spelling changes like "Programer" being corrected to "Programmer", and changes like "Lead Test" to "Lead Tester".

- In this prototype, you can immediately access the Pattern Check/Animation Test by going to the Options Menu and pressing the Start button while on the Exit option.

While the Pattern Check/Animation Test hasn't been disabled in the later prototypes or the final version, the method to access it in the later versions is somewhat more complicated, but also activates the Visual Selector, and the Stage Select/Damage Toggle screen, albeit with "Stage Select" changed to "Round Select" and for whatever reason the Damage Toggle option doesn't seem to work for me in the final build either.

Courtesy of FFCrono from GameFAQs:
Open the Options screen, and follow these steps in order: set SE Test to C1, set Voice Test to E8, set Music Test to 82, and then press B. You will enter the Visual Selector, a cutscene viewer. For the next part of the cheat, exit the Visual Selector by pressing Start, and then repeat the whole process just described four more times. After you've exited the Visual Selector for the fifth time, select Exit on the Options menu. This opens up an animation test menu. Finally, exit that screen and start a new game. A menu appears where you can set the starting stage and toggle damage on and off.
- Interestingly, you can use the same Sound Test code method to unlock just the Visual Selector in the prototype, and it has some interesting changes. Note that the size discrepancies in the text is due to the text having a wave effect applied to it.

- The instruction text is in Japanese rather than English.

- The word "Selecter" has been corrected to "Selector".

- The prototype includes the scene option "Advertise", and although it only shows you the opening text crawl scene, the existence of this "COMING SOON!!" image within the ROM implies that maybe it was originally meant to boot into this. Note the glitched tilemap due to changes made to the ROM since then. Presumably this was for a Trade Show version.

The Advertise option can still be accessed in the final ROM with the Pro Action Replay code of FF1D1C:0000, although it too only takes you to the opening text crawl.

- Aside from that, there are just general spelling differences/errors in the Visual Selectors between builds.

Anyway, that's all I've been able to notice in this particular prototype. I might check out the next one (July 17, 1995) tomorrow and see whether some of the corrections made by the final were apparent by that time.

After I knock out the next few prototypes, that just about covers it, although I would like to think that the thread will start some interesting discussion about the various games and not just become a giant list thread.

And while we're on the subject of the game's development, I feel the need to quote a thread I recently made that recieved no real attention, but it pertains to this game.

Recently, Hikoshi Hashimoto, the composer for MMPR:TM on Megadrive/Genesis, tweeted about the game. Obviously we know that the game contained digitized Ron Wasserman songs, but this was the guy that arranged them.

He made about four posts about it, and it seems like he transcribed the music by ear rather than any note-for-note transcription. However, Google Translate is pretty useless, and I was wondering if anybody had decent enough Japanese skills to properly translate these tweets for historical purposes?

https://twitter.com/Hikoshi_H/status/682056168554938368
https://twitter.com/Hikoshi_H/status/682057229520867329 https://twitter.com/Hikoshi_H/status/682058650471370752 https://twitter.com/Hikoshi_H/status/682073218539102208

a squad wrote: View Post

About the MMPR Movie SNES game I think I might have an explanation for it. I don't remember what issue where but I swear on my whole PR collection that I saw in a Nintendo Power magazine that there was an upcoming title for the SNES called Mighty Morphin Power Rangers The Wrath Of Lord Zedd. This was before the movie game came out so I honestly believe this was meant to be a season 2 based game. That would explain all the Z emblems plus the fact that the final battle takes place in Zedds Throne Room. Hell the Lord Zedd model from The Fighting Edition could've been intended for for this game. So I think that it was always intended to be a MMPR game just not a movie based one.
It's possible it was always intended to be based on Season 2, but the overall tone of the game is weird to me, which makes me think that it was an unrelated Natsume beat 'em up that was co-opted for use in creating a Season 2 game, and then re-re-branded for the Movie.

In any case, I downloaded some old Nintendo Power issues that contained mentions of Power Rangers and I couldn't find anything about it being called "The Wrath of Lord Zedd" or even that it was previewed or tested before it was rebranded for the Movie. However, you may be right about remembering an early preview even if it wasn't titled that, and wasn't in Nintendo Power.

That being said, I do think the random Zs around the place were part of that initial Season 2 rebranding. However, while the game does use Zedd's throne design specifically, the surrounding lair doesn't match it at all, and contains odd machines, tubes and cables, which fits with the non-PR enemy design aesthetic of robotic enemies.

Last edited by Prototype; February 9th, 2016 at 04:09 AM.
Old February 8th, 2016, 04:26 AM #36
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Ah, how I loved tinkering with the "The Movie" visual selector and animation checks... Really glad they kept them accessible in the final version.
Red Dino Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 04:41 AM #37
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Red Dino Ranger wrote: View Post

Ah, how I loved tinkering with the "The Movie" visual selector and animation checks... Really glad they kept them accessible in the final version.
Oh, totally. It's just a shame there weren't any sprite differences between builds like there was between the early MMPR (Game Gear) prototype builds. On the other hand, for someone who likes to rip sprites, it's handy that it's possible without going through the Visual Selector code five times.

I really hope that one day somebody uncovers some more prototypes.

Last edited by Prototype; February 8th, 2016 at 04:49 AM.
Old February 8th, 2016, 08:37 AM #38
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

When I was much younger I thought that a cartridge of "The Fighting Edition" for the Genesis/Mega Drive I had was actually a prototype of an unreleased version. Turned out to be a pirate port for that system.

I always thought that they could've easily converted the Zyuranger Famicom game into a MMPR game... all they needed was translation and a picture of Zordon to replace his Japanese counterpart... but I guess by that time, nobody really cared for the NES.

As for prototypes - one can always hope!

Thought I might share this here as well, though your work is much more thorough:

https://tcrf.net/Category:Power_Rang..._Sentai_series
Red Dino Ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:39 AM #39
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Red Dino Ranger wrote: View Post

When I was much younger I thought that a cartridge of "The Fighting Edition" for the Genesis/Mega Drive I had was actually a prototype of an unreleased version. Turned out to be a pirate port for that system.

I always thought that they could've easily converted the Zyuranger Famicom game into a MMPR game... all they needed was translation and a picture of Zordon to replace his Japanese counterpart... but I guess by that time, nobody really cared for the NES.

As for prototypes - one can always hope!

Thought I might share this here as well, though your work is much more thorough:

https://tcrf.net/Category:Power_Rang..._Sentai_series
Oh cool, you actually had the Genesis pirate? How faithful of a pirate port was it? I remember a bit of talk about it years ago, with other people unsure about whether it was an unreleased prototype or a pirate. Looking at the developers, it's a little obvious that it was a pirate, but I remember being unsure years ago too. I'd like to own it though. I don't think I've ever actually seen gameplay footage of that pirate though.

Yeah, the NES was losing popularity, but more to the point, the Zyuranger game just wasn't stylistically MMPR. They were trying to go for that hard-rockin' ass-kickin' preteen boy demographic, and the Zyuranger game just didn't fit. The game would have needed just as much changing as the Zyuranger show did to make it over here, so why not just make new games, you know?

And yeah, cheers for the TCRF link. I've been there multiple times though. In fact, I was considering submitting my prototype findings to them so there was a better kept record of all of it, rather than a forum thread that can get lost to the sands of time.

I appreciate the interest you're showing. I've kinda been sitting on some of these findings for a few years now and was never sure whether to submit it somewhere, but it's only been recently where I've become more active than usual on RangerBoard, and I thought "what the hey".

Turns out I'm really glad I did, because it sent me down a path I hadn't gone down before, and made the Pudgy Pig discovery among others. And it confirms that whether it still exists or not, somewhere out there is a vastly different MMPR game just waiting to be picked apart.

I think the one thing I bring to this that other people like some of the TCRF members haven't is a fairly decent knowledge of PR and Sentai, so I can look at these things in the context of their script and story development compared to the then-contemporary script work that was happening with the TV show. I mean, I'm no SirStack when it comes to script stuff, and I don't have an inner working knowledge of SEGA ROMs, but I feel like I'm at least slightly knowledgeable about both subjects.

That being said, TCRF is an invaluable resource.
Old February 8th, 2016, 09:42 AM #40
> WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

There is just so many cool tidbits to the second game. It is such an odd mesh of Season 2 and the film.

Tags
bandai, games, interviews, mmpr, nintendo, retro, sega, sentai, sprites, video games