Home Menu

Menu

Old March 10th, 2019, 10:08 PM #201
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Prototype wrote: View Post

I used to listen to midis all the time. Anybody else do this?
Of course.

Our Tripod websites were nothing without a MIDI playing in the background.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 01:16 AM #202
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Wow, that Rita's BGM is awesome. Thanks for finding it Prototype.

Regarding the sounds.rar: I think over a decade ago, someone on RangerBoard released a CD that was sent to people who produced licensed products. It contained all these sounds, plus also clean voice clips of the cast which could be used in audio products. I downloaded it, but lost it -_-, but it's great to get most of them back in this sounds.rar file.
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 03:52 AM #203
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

I've got another great find for you guys, from the pages of "TodoSega". We get our first rumblings of the MMPR game in Issue #14, where they tell you that TodoSega are the first to predict that MMPR will be the next big thing, and let the readers know that Bandai are making a Power Rangers game for Megadrive.

By Issue #17, we get our first glimpse of the game, which matches the footage from the "Bienvenido Al Proximo Nivel" promotional video.

All's quiet for a while until we reach Issue #20, where we get a substantial preview of the game in it's unfinished state. This appears to be the same build from the images PsychoRFG shared.

It also outright confirms the game's character roster at this point. Mega-Zord, Dragon-Zord, Pudgy Pig, Madame Woe, Dark Warrior, "Golder", Minotaur and "Shiny", which we know today as Cyclopsis.

The Character Select screen is different, and each character has it's own large icon, which doesn't appear in the final.

In the following Issue, #21, we see these icons in use in-game on the Stage Select screen. We can see that a lot of the digitized cutscene artwork was implemented already.

These screenshots seem in back up the assertion I made earlier in the thread that this game wasn't intended to feature the Rangers themselves as playable characters. This is supported by the fact that in the final game, if your character is a Ranger you can only play on the "Ranger Stage" as the other level art is scaled for Megazords/Monsters. In the earliest prototypes we have available we can see they're just adding the finishing touches on Kimberly in giving her a unique helmet so it stands to reason that the Rangers are what they made last

I have a theory that this game was previewed in Spanish markets outside of the US to get a general sense of feedback without affecting marketing potential in the "home ground" of the US. Maybe some of the feedback was like "Why can't I play as a Power Ranger?" and "Where's the rockin' soundtrack?" and Saban insisted they be put in there? If the game came back for retooling, it might explain why so many prototypes of this in-between period of development exist. I guess there were just rapid updates.

big smile wrote: View Post

Wow, that Rita's BGM is awesome. Thanks for finding it Prototype.

Regarding the sounds.rar: I think over a decade ago, someone on RangerBoard released a CD that was sent to people who produced licensed products. It contained all these sounds, plus also clean voice clips of the cast which could be used in audio products. I downloaded it, but lost it -_-, but it's great to get most of them back in this sounds.rar file.
Is that the stuff that's uploaded to the Power Rangers Media Hub? That's a good resource, not sure if it's the one you're referring to though! Check it out and let me know!

And as always, you're welcome.

Last edited by Prototype; March 11th, 2019 at 04:54 AM.
Prototype is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 04:39 AM #204
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

Kinda random, since it's not sprite related. I found an old review in the UK GB Action magazine for the first MMPR game. The reviewer seems to not really know what they're talking about and seems to have a lot of misconceptions.

turbo409uk is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 04:59 AM #205
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

When we get to the next Issue, #22, we see that the people at TodoSega have recieved an updated version of the game! It's given a full review,, and as we can see, K.I. Shiny is now "Cyclopsis".

They acknowledge that the game has been reprogrammed. Giving you a Google Translation of the text, it reads:
They went through these pages last month, but Banpresto has reprogrammed the cartridge and we are faced with an improved game in almost all aspects, but still adolescence of something very necessary: ​​something that we return to continuously. Let's see why: there are two wrestlers, of which in the story mode we will initially have five (the Power Rangers: Green, Blue, Red, Pink and Yellow, which will later be joined by green.) As the game progresses, we will We will see the need to put at the controls of the Megazord (it is a saying, since it is handled as if it were another fighter) and then we can choose between this or the Dragonzord, well, this is where the problems begin: after eight battles , the game will be over, leaving us with the honey on the lips just when we started having fun, because you have to admit that once you take control (which is very simple, by the way) the game is nice. the story changes, which is logical, and the fun rises to a very high limit, in short, it will be a unique opportunity to relive the adventures of the television Power Rangers.
Aside from mistyping "Black" as "Green" (I'm sure there's a simple explanation for that!) that seems like a pretty glowing review of the game, and it's cool to see the reviewers actively acknowledge the improvements from the beta.

turbo409uk wrote: View Post

-snip-
Oh wow, whoever reviewed that did not want to be watching OR playing Power Rangers. It's basically the "parent review". Someone trying to explain what the hell their 5 year old was babbling about.
Old March 11th, 2019, 07:04 AM #206
> big smile
VIP Rider

big smile
VIP Rider

Is that the stuff that's uploaded to the Power Rangers Media Hub? That's a good resource, not sure if it's the one you're referring to though! Check it out and let me know!
Yup, that's the one. I didn't know that place was still around.

It's too bad Saban Brands couldn't have used some of these voice clips in Legendary Battle, just to make it feel more like the MMPR rangers were there....
big smile is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2019, 11:44 AM #207
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

LOL, in one magazine Zack is called Jack, in the next he's called Zach.
Old March 11th, 2019, 12:23 PM #208
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

Kinda random, since it's not sprite related. I found an old review in the UK GB Action magazine for the first MMPR game. The reviewer seems to not really know what they're talking about and seems to have a lot of misconceptions.

https://i.ibb.co/ZfpRqkk/GB-MMPR-01.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/rkmgmKZ/GB-MMPR-02.jpg
Two things about that article that really stand out
1.The Power Rangers being referred to as "deadly robotic karate experts."
2.The use of a rather,shall we say,offensive term to describe the Japanese.
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 03:07 AM #209
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

So, I ended up messaging a guy known as "DreamTR" who's been known to sell prototypes in his time. I'd known from a decade-old internet post that he had some Power Rangers prototypes for SNES. Asked if they were still available, and he said no. He already sold the two Power Rangers protos this year in fact.

I have no idea who to, but we have confirmation of two PR protos being in a collector's hands. The problem is, collectors don't always want to dump the ROM, as in their eyes it can reduce the value of the physical media itself which usually goes at a hefty price from hundreds to thousands of dollars depending, which means we haven't even the slightest clue if these protos were essentially near to completion or if they yield any unused stuff like the SEGA games did.

If the owner of these prototypes ever discovers this thread, I'm willing to set up a collection plate for these things, haha.
Old March 12th, 2019, 07:09 AM #210
> Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Prototype, check around on Twitter for such folks.
Mr. Yellow is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2019, 09:43 AM #211
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.

eBay

https://i.ibb.co/ZfpRqkk/GB-MMPR-01.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/rkmgmKZ/GB-MMPR-02.jpg
"The Ja..." fuh-king hell.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2019, 10:05 AM #212
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

I just found a preview of the SNES game in the creatively titled magazine "Video Games - The Ultimate Gaming Magazine", issue #66 released July 08 1994.

As you can see by the text, the game was apparently 50% complete. (Or did they mean they were halfway through the game?)

Apparently at this stage, the vocal rendition of the lyrics hadn't been implemented yet, but had been talked about.

They also mention that they weren't allowed to see the Genesis game just yet. This magazine was released on July 08 1994, which is the date of one of the in-progress prototypes of the Genesis game. The review would have taken place earlier than publication, so it stands to reason that they had begun retooling the Genesis game. I wonder whether the earlier version of the Genesis game was even intended for a magazine preview or whether somebody missed a memo and published footage of an in-progress build. But at the very least, Bandai/Banpresto weren't showing the game to western audiences just yet!

The second page is interesting, as it mentions the upcoming second season, with "Wor the Shuttlezord" rather than "Tor". This name matches a preview in Sentai Magazine posted in my other thread. I suppose outright calling a zord "war" didn't jibe well with the whole "only using weapons for defence" thing that was going on at the time.

The third page is a preview for the Gameboy game, which contains nothing interesting development-wise as far as I can tell, but it's here for completion's sake.

Old March 14th, 2019, 10:24 AM #213
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

The second page is interesting, as it mentions the upcoming second season, with "Wor the Shuttlezord" rather than "Tor". This name matches a preview in Sentai Magazine posted in my other thread. I suppose outright calling a zord "war" didn't jibe well with the whole "only using weapons for defence" thing that was going on at the time.
It's also a way less stupid name.
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:36 AM #214
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

I just found this. It pretty much confirms a lot of speculation about the dev cycle from proto to final. Banpresto/SEGA/Nova or whoever the heck actually coded the damn thing (sources differ) must have been working from feedback after the initial preview. A poor Google Translation follows.

Banpresto has taken note of the first contact of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers for the 16 Bit SEGA. And how to rectify is wise, has made a complete reprogramming. They have included the five protagonists of the series (Power blue, yellow, red, black and pink) in addition to Green Power, which has won in number of fighters, increasing to a total of 12. The scenarios have also been modified ( in this case reducing the figure to six), but with improved graphics, more in line with the expectations that this title awakens. Throughout the game, the six Power Rangers will always fight on their stage, while in the case of robots you will be able to choose a battle place among the five remaining landscapes. The repertoire of blows of each fighters has been maintained, being therefore as scarce as in the previous program.
The translation is rough, but you get the idea.
Old March 14th, 2019, 11:54 AM #215
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
Gritty as a Princess

Ah, the Chip N' Dale Rescue Rangers game.

Never got the same love as the Ducktales game for whatever reason.
Old March 14th, 2019, 12:03 PM #216
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Did Ducktales come out earlier? If Chip & Dale was near the end of the NES life cycle that could be why. Plus, Donald Duck is always gonna sell better in general.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:20 PM #217
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

So, I ended up installing WIndows 3.1 as a Virtual Machine, and I've been able to play the Zeo Vs. game through that. It's sluggish and I don't think I've configured it properly, but it's workable. I've found a neat method for ripping sprites, though it's time consuming and still difficult, but it saves a lot of time.
Would it be easier to just capture the game as a video file, then just rip sprites frame-by-frame in video editing software?

If you take the .sbk file for say, Blue Ranger, copy it and rename it to city.sbk the game will load the incorrect file for the city stage backgrounds. It doesn't actually display any graphics from the Blue Ranger .sbk but it does result in the stage being empty with a black background, resulting in a much easier time ripping the sprites.
I tried this. To get a black background it just needed city.sbk to be renamed to something else.
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:27 PM #218
> Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Prototype
Blips and/or Chitz.

Would it be easier to just capture the game as a video file, then just rip sprites frame-by-frame in video editing software?
That's what I've been doing actually. My only concern was whether there were particular sprites hidden in the data that don't appear in-game for whatever reason.
Old March 15th, 2019, 08:01 PM #219
> CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

CheckeredRanger
Becky Lynch>Everyone

Did Ducktales come out earlier? If Chip & Dale was near the end of the NES life cycle that could be why. Plus, Donald Duck is always gonna sell better in general.
Ducktales came out in the Fall of 1989.Rescue Rangers was released in Summer 1990.
The pics in that article are from the second Rescue Rangers game,which came out towards the end of the NES` life cycle(I want to say it was released in January 1994)
CheckeredRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 11:29 AM #220
> turbo409uk

turbo409uk

That's what I've been doing actually. My only concern was whether there were particular sprites hidden in the data that don't appear in-game for whatever reason.
That, and the little problem of the gold ranger sprites, since it's a black ranger against a black background.

Tags
bandai, games, interviews, mmpr, nintendo, retro, sega, sentai, sprites, video games