Home Menu

Menu

Old December 7th, 2015, 03:45 PM #61
> JacobYBM
Banned

JacobYBM
Banned

GekiCosmic wrote: View Post

Artistically, I don't like how we get multiple shots of beams going through their bodies, but we don't get any blood or even any view of the wounds. All we get are non-descript holes in their bodies.

I know it's aimed towards kids, but Z seemed to do a better job at it. Maybe, like the awful animation, it'll be fixed for the blu-rays.
Shinseiki Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop helped to tighten restrictions on daytime animation in the 1990s. Things have only gotten worse over the years, especially as the industry tries to pander more to international viewers, in other words, the United States. The home video releases won't feature changes.

Dragon Ball Super Episode #5 did feature a few corrections, though.
JacobYBM is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:08 PM #62
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

What bothers me about the generic holes isn't the lack of blood, but the complete and deliberate ignorance of even the most basic anatomy. Why didn't Gohan go down immediately when the beam went through his knee? You can't stand on a knee with a hole in it.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:13 PM #63
> JacobYBM
Banned

JacobYBM
Banned

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

What bothers me about the generic holes isn't the lack of blood, but the complete and deliberate ignorance of even the most basic anatomy. Why didn't Gohan go down immediately when the beam went through his knee? You can't stand on a knee with a hole in it.
The power of his will kept him up. That's about all there is to it. "Hey, let's have Gohan get all beat up and futilely struggle to stay standing!"
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:18 PM #64
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

JacobYBM wrote: View Post

The power of his will kept him up. That's about all there is to it. "Hey, let's have Gohan get all beat up and futilely struggle to stay standing!"
Except there's a difference when he's getting his torso punched into oblivion because you can handwave that his ribs are strong enough to remain intact. When see-through holes start appearing in your vital function areas and you're still ready for round two, disbelief is starting to get uncomfortably stretched.

Last edited by GetTheeToABrewery; December 7th, 2015 at 05:28 PM.
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 05:25 PM #65
> JacobYBM
Banned

JacobYBM
Banned

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

Except there's a difference when he's getting his torso punched into a oblivion because you can handwave that his ribs are strong enough to remain intact. When see-through holes start appearing in your vital function areas and you're still ready for round two, disbelief is starting to get uncomfortably stretched.
This is the series will a little bit of ki is enough to make a guy chopped in half can fly away from a planet about to explode, travel to space, and go to a planet days away without dying. I don't anatomy and actual laws of nature being a big concern for its creators.
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:03 PM #66
> Adara.2
Power Ranger

Adara.2
Power Ranger

Kind of hope Gohan starts unlocking his Mystic and (possibly) Super Saiyan 3. Kind of want to see how Frieza would fare against the ascended forms.
Adara.2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:27 PM #67
> JacobYBM
Banned

JacobYBM
Banned

Adara.2 wrote: View Post

Kind of hope Gohan starts unlocking his Mystic and (possibly) Super Saiyan 3. Kind of want to see how Frieza would fare against the ascended forms.
He'd totally trounce them. Super Saiyan 3 leaks ki like no tomorrow and has never actually won a fight outside of Movie #13. The Ultimate form is a magical power up that ignores self-improvement through training is apparently no longer something that even exists.

Gokuu and Vegeta are currently training to improve their ki control so that they don't waste ki, exactly the same thing that Gokuu and Gohan were trying to do with their training in the Room of Spirit & Time. Controlling one's ki to maximize it in a form that doesn't waste ki is the best thing to do.

Gokuu in his normal form is far stronger than he was as a Super Saiyan 3 during the battle with Majin Buu, anyway, so any sort of makeshift Super Saiyan 3 from a character who does not train or like to train isn't going to mean shit.
Old December 7th, 2015, 08:54 PM #68
> The Return Of...
VIP Rider

The Return Of...
VIP Rider

JacobYBM wrote: View Post

Shinseiki Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop helped to tighten restrictions on daytime animation in the 1990s. Things have only gotten worse over the years, especially as the industry tries to pander more to international viewers, in other words, the United States. The home video releases won't feature changes.

Dragon Ball Super Episode #5 did feature a few corrections, though.
ugh Beerus looks a lil worse on the blu-ray
The Return Of... is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:15 PM #69
> stealth_ranger
RIP Motörhead: 1975-2015

stealth_ranger
RIP Motörhead: 1975-2015

A few months ago I decided I would finally give Dragon Ball Z a proper viewing, since I was never into it when it was first airing.

Today I finished the last episode. It was a very long journey, full of action, speeches, death, and filler -- lots of filler. I definitely enjoyed the series, though. I see now what all the fuss was about. I did lol at Buu's psuedo forth-wall break when he screamed at Gohan (I think) "You talk too much! Let's fight!" or something like that.

Somewhere around Season 6 or 7 I switched from the Bruce Faulconer score over to the Japanese score, and while I enjoyed the Faulconer score (especially Vegeta's bells), the Japanese score just fit better. I liked the moments with no music, as opposed to the constant music in the American score.

I may get a bit of flak for this but my favorite arc was probably the Majin Buu arc (Seasons 8 and 9). It was fun to see every Saiyan take a crack at Buu. I liked the Goku vs Majin Vegeta battle as well, since it was a callback to Season 1's arc.

I'd be hardpressed to pick a favorite villian (excluding Vegeta). I'd probably say Buu since everyone fought him. It was kind of annoying hearing the Kais say time and again that [insert hero / fused heroes] were stronger than Buu and should just take him out, but the Saiyans love a good fight! Frieza was great and ruthless but honestly he was taken out fairly easily---twice (three times?)! The Android/Cell saga is probably my least favorite (major) arc. Lots of buildup and the Cell games were over fairly quickly.

I don't really have a favorite hero. It was fun watching all the character development for various Z warriors (Piccolo, Gohan, Vegeta). I do know one thing:

Goku's an asshole. He's protrayed as this great warrior alien savior but numerous times he leaves his family high and dry. I gave him a pass when Raditz killed him, but the rest of the series Goku is selfish as hell. He and Frieza destroy Namek, he kills King Kai and blows up his planet to save Earth when he instant transmissioned Cell off of Earth. He straight up leaves his family at the end of the series to train Uub. Asshole!

I kind of wish there was more (oh, hey, there's Super now.. and the movies, and DB and GT) but honestly I'm glad Z is over. I'm still surprised with the writers' abilities to both tell a huge story and have each arc go nowhere for dozens of episodes at the same time.

Overall, DBZ was a great ride, I'm glad I decided to watch it all but my original opinion didn't change. I don't consider myself a DBZ fan, I probably won't re-watch it. Z's status as a "gateway drug" to more anime doesn't really affect me. I'm not a big anime fan, and having watched all of Z... still feel the same way. I'm not going to go binge-watch DB Super or watch the recent movies, though I may watch Kai.

***** : I watched all 291 eps of DBZ for the first time over the last few months. When it's good, it's great but the negatives that turned me away during it's original run still stand out and my opinion didn't really change.
stealth_ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:43 PM #70
> kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

kainhighwind2
Magna Power!

Speaking of, as someone who didn't like Kai much, is there some viewing list out there of what episodes to watch of Z, while avoiding the most filler?
kainhighwind2 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:49 PM #71
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

After catching up on Super, I realized the thing bugging me is that I was hoping for Toriyama to go ahead and making Gohan the star like he always wanted. Or at least make him the real strongest in the universe again, not just another side character to get tossed aside in favor of new powers for Goku/Vegeta.

kainhighwind2 wrote: View Post

Speaking of, as someone who didn't like Kai much, is there some viewing list out there of what episodes to watch of Z, while avoiding the most filler?
That's like ten episodes at most though.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 12:11 AM #72
> MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

MerCurryMeme
Fear/Pain

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

After catching up on Super, I realized the thing bugging me is that I was hoping for Toriyama to go ahead and making Gohan the star like he always wanted. Or at least make him the real strongest in the universe again, not just another side character to get tossed aside in favor of new powers for Goku/Vegeta.
Japan don't care about Gohan, tho.
MerCurryMeme is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 12:55 AM #73
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

MerCurry wrote: View Post

Japan don't care about Gohan, tho.
I just wanted Toriyama to say "f it" after all these years and do what he wanted to do with the characters not just return to it as almost self parodying. Though, to be fair, there's a chance he forgot who Gohan was at some point along the way too.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 12:58 AM #74
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

After catching up on Super, I realized the thing bugging me is that I was hoping for Toriyama to go ahead and making Gohan the star like he always wanted.
As far as I've ever heard, it was Toriyama himself who eventually decided Gohan wasn't suited for the protagonist role.

The audience obsessing over Goku and Vegeta just made his decision easier.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:11 PM #75
> JacobYBM
Banned

JacobYBM
Banned

Kanzenshuu has the interview in question translated. Toriyama merely says he felt Gokuu was better suited for the role of lead. Toriyama has never spoken of intending for Gohan to be the lead.
Old December 14th, 2015, 03:05 AM #76
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

I LOVED how the writers turned Gohan's rage on its head, him purposefully powering up for the purpose of getting Goku's attention. It's been done before, but this time it was critical for him being able to get back to Earth in time to be of use. I also loved how they did it with ten minutes to spare and I knew they'd find a way to use that time up so they could save the best for the next episode. Poor stupid Ginyu, finally returning to a useful body only to die in mere minutes afterward.

My favorite animation by far in this entire series was Goku's angry face at the commercial break.
Old December 14th, 2015, 03:16 AM #77
> RisingSunRanger
Banned

RisingSunRanger
Banned

My usual source has goofed and skipped episode 22 - and 15, but at least that was filler. Anything I should know before I skip it?
RisingSunRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:43 AM #78
> JacobYBM
Banned

JacobYBM
Banned

Koyama Makoto wrote Episode #23. His dad was the head writer of Dragon Ball Z and wrote the first thirteen movies.
Old December 14th, 2015, 02:01 PM #79
> Akumaru
Power Ranger

Akumaru
Power Ranger

Basic the people wanted Goku was Hero and not Gohan, well The Golden moments of Gohan was in Cell saga
Akumaru is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 02:24 PM #80
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest

AkaPrimoKanyeWest

RisingSunRanger wrote: View Post

My usual source has goofed and skipped episode 22 - and 15, but at least that was filler. Anything I should know before I skip it?
Well, there's one big moment that happens at the end.

Tags
don't let your guard down, godamnitgoku, gokudebates, gokuisinnocent, its the moshi of roshi, not the size of the ki, onore goku, this is also gokus fault