Elsa
19 20.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Votes: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 1st, 2015, 01:33 AM #61
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Recent marketing IIRC (Those "I am a Princess" commercials) has recently been pushing towards the idea that girls should find a healthy balance of being strong-willed AND compassionate. So I believe by this point the Princess name is mostly used just for name recognition. Recent additions to the lineup like Merida and Rapuznel fit that bill well enough.

The name does unfortunately have connotations, mostly because of stereotyping and just the name of Disney itself. Which is why as said in previous pages, the idea of Princess Leia being added is nigh blasphemous for some people despite some of the princesses in the lineup being just as strong as Leia.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:56 PM #62
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

All the princesses are strong, except maybe Aurora (because you know sleeping). Snow White and Cinderella put up with abuse their whole lives but still manage to have an upbeat positive attitude, I think that's inner strengths. And of course every princess from Ariel onward has proven her worth as a strong heroine.
JNTA1234 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:06 PM #63
> SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

JNTA1234 wrote: View Post

All the princesses are strong, except maybe Aurora (because you know sleeping). Snow White and Cinderella put up with abuse their whole lives but still manage to have an upbeat positive attitude, I think that's inner strengths. And of course every princess from Ariel onward has proven her worth as a strong heroine.
I've never seen Snow White, so I can't really have an opinion on her. I like Cinderella as a character enough, but I have issues with the movie. There is one that I seem to disagree with you on and that would be Ariel. I just can't stand her as a character and she and Eric bring down an otherwise good movie to where I consider it overrated. I know most people would disagree. I just can't imagine calling Ariel a strong heroine, like at all.
SuperMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:30 PM #64
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

superfanmj94 wrote: View Post

I've never seen Snow White, so I can't really have an opinion on her. I like Cinderella as a character enough, but I have issues with the movie. There is one that I seem to disagree with you on and that would be Ariel. I just can't stand her as a character and she and Eric bring down an otherwise good movie to where I consider it overrated. I know most people would disagree. I just can't imagine calling Ariel a strong heroine, like at all.
She saves her Prince's life, two times actually. She's the one to pursue him and wants to impress him. And she's more proactive than three previous princesses (Snow, Cindy, Aurora). Plus she's capable of rescuing herself. I think I can guess what your problems are with Ariel and I understand them but Ariel is a groundbreaking character for Disney and she sparked a change with the princesses.

Last edited by JNTA1234; April 1st, 2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:33 PM #65
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

I think Ariel is pretty much the one that really got the line going. Snow White, Cinderella and Aurora are the precursors.
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:40 PM #66
> SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

She saves her Prince's life, two times actually. She the one to pursue him and wants to impress him. And she's more proactive than three previous princesses (Snow, Cindy, Aurora). Plus she's capable of rescuing herself. I think I can guess what your problems are with Ariel and I understand them but Ariel is a groundbreaking character for Disney.
First off, my main issue with her is how she basically falls in love with some guy that she doesn't know anything about and rebels against her father and comes off kind of obnoxious during that part of the movie, to me. She gives up her voice to Ursula, who doesn't really come off all warm and fuzzy, again just for this guy she doesn't even know. She's not likeable, to me. I don't root for her to win, I don't really root for anyone in this movie. Her whole point in the story is to get the guy, which just isn't interesting and kind of annoying. I wouldn't consider her a role model, and I feel there are many stronger and better female Disney characters that come after her, Belle, Mulan, Tiana and Rapunzel to name a few that I find better than Ariel.
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:50 PM #67
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

First off, my main issue with her is how she basically falls in love with some guy that she doesn't know anything about and rebels against her father and comes off kind of obnoxious during that part of the movie, to me. She gives up her voice to Ursula, who doesn't really come off all warm and fuzzy, again just for this guy she doesn't even know. She's not likeable, to me. I don't root for her to win, I don't really root for anyone in this movie. Her whole point in the story is to get the guy, which just isn't interesting and kind of annoying. I wouldn't consider her a role model, and I feel there are many stronger and better female Disney characters that come after her, Belle, Mulan, Tiana and Rapunzel to name a few that I find better than Ariel.
Most of what you said is true. But I disagree on one thing, the point of the movie was a mermaid trying to become human. Sure, Eric comes along but she wanted to walk on land long before she saw Eric. The reason why she had to give up her voice was because it was apart of Ursula's deal. And she doesn't make the deal JUST to be with a guy, she established from the very beginning a desire to live among the humans. If anything, even though she falls for him, Ariel is really just using a guy to make her dream come true. She's not the best role model but she does have virtues worthy of admiration (determination, eager to learn).

And even if she is a bad role model, who cares. She's a cartoon character. We should encourage our little sisters and daughters to look up to real life figures.
Old April 1st, 2015, 06:57 PM #68
> SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

Most of what you said is true. But I disagree on one thing, the point of the movie was a mermaid trying to become human. Sure, Eric comes along but she wanted to walk on land long before she saw Eric. The reason why she had to give up her voice was because it was apart of Ursula's deal. And she doesn't make the deal JUST to be with a guy, she established from the very beginning a desire to live among the humans. If anything, even though she falls for him, Ariel is really just using a guy to make dream come true. She's not the best role model but she does have virtues worthy admiration (determination, eager to learn).

And even if she's a bad role model, who cares. She's a cartoon character. We should encourage our little sisters and daughters to look up to real life figures.
You're right about her interest in humans before she even knew about Eric. She collected all that stuff, which I thought was a good character trait. It's just once she sees Eric, it's like everything becomes about him. It's probably not the best idea to compare all of these Disney movies, but if you look at Rapunzel, she doesn't automatically fall in love with Flynn right away, it takes some time and she had never really seen another person besides her "mother." So, I guess it's just that it feels like her whole character, by the end of the movie was all about being with Eric, to me. I know a lot of people love this movie, and there are a whole lot of things I really do love about it, but the two main characters can be problematic for me. Although, Aurora and Phillip are probably two characters I would consider worse by a lot.
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:04 PM #69
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

There's no harm in looking up to fictional character either. That's part of the reason why characters like Superman and Batman are still around. Fictional characters can be just as much role models as people like Eleanor Roosevelt, Joan of Arc, Nelson Mandela, and Gandhi.
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:08 PM #70
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

There's no harm in looking up to fictional character either. That's part of the reason why characters like Superman and Batman are still around. Fictional characters can be just as much role models as people like Eleanor Roosevelt, Joan of Arc, Nelson Mandela, and Gandhi.
Of course, I think Mulan and Tiana great role models myself but if a comic book or cartoon character is a bad role model, it shouldn't be a big deal. These characters were written to be entertainment, most of them.

And when it comes role models, nothing beats an adult figure that you know personally.

Last edited by JNTA1234; April 1st, 2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:10 PM #71
> SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

Agreed, especially when you're a little kid and you watch these characters and you can become attached to them. Not that every show or movie is going to have good role models, but I think it can be nice when they do.
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:17 PM #72
> JNTA1234
Power Ranger

JNTA1234
Power Ranger

You're right about her interest in humans before she even knew about Eric. She collected all that stuff, which I thought was a good character trait. It's just once she sees Eric, it's like everything becomes about him. It's probably not the best idea to compare all of these Disney movies, but if you look at Rapunzel, she doesn't automatically fall in love with Flynn right away, it takes some time and she had never really seen another person besides her "mother." So, I guess it's just that it feels like her whole character, by the end of the movie was all about being with Eric, to me. I know a lot of people love this movie, and there are a whole lot of things I really do love about it, but the two main characters can be problematic for me. Although, Aurora and Phillip are probably two characters I would consider worse by a lot.
Well, I agree to an extent but I wish people wouldn't pay so much attention to only the negative with Ariel and gloss over her and skip straight to Belle when talking about strong female heroes. Ariel kind of paved the way for following Disney protagonists, literally

You know if Disney hadn't heeded the criticisms towards Ariel, Mulan wouldn't exactly be the character you know and love. Mulan was originally supposed to go off to war to just prove herself and show everyone her worth. They later wrote in the injured father aspect because the other way made Mulan seem too selfish and reckless. Who's willing to bet the writers had Ariel in mind when they made that change?

She's not best character and she's not even one of my personal favorites but I just wish people would give her the props she deserves.

Last edited by JNTA1234; April 1st, 2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old April 1st, 2015, 07:25 PM #73
> SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

SuperMystechRanger
Power Ranger

Well, I agree to an extent but I wish people wouldn't pay so much attention to only the negative with Ariel and gloss over her and skip straight to Belle when talking about strong female heroines. Ariel kind of paved the way for following Disney protagonists, literally

You know if Disney hadn't heeded the criticisms towards Ariel, Mulan wouldn't exactly be the character you know and love. Mulan was originally supposed to go off to war to prove herself and show everyone her worth. They later wrote in the injured father aspect because the other way made Mulan seem too selfish and reckless. Who's willing to bet the writers had Ariel in mind when made that change?

She's not best character and she's not even one of my personal favorites but I just wish people would give her the props she deserves.
I always try to look for the best in things when related to TV, movies and characters within those two. I even try to find some good in Teen Titans GO! a show almost everyone seems to complain about. But, for some reason Ariel's just one of those characters I just don't like and I find it hard to think of good things she added to the movie. But, again there is still a lot of things I enjoy about the movie. You know, I wonder are there any other female Disney characters that are considered strong before Ariel or Belle. I can't really think of any, even though I kind of like Cinderella, I'm not sure if I'd call her a very strong character.
Old April 1st, 2015, 11:21 PM #74
> Batfan19
Power Ranger

Batfan19
Power Ranger

Titanium321 wrote: View Post

Remind me again what Washington's football team is currently called.

I'm trying to cut back on this talk because I get it's out of place here. But it's this or the semantics about what a princess is and why Pocahontas and Mulan shouldn't count just on naming alone.
You're right, it is out of place here, so I won't share my feelings on Washington's football team.

Feel free to think whatever you want, just remember not everyone has to feel or think that way. Peace, and no hard feelings.
Batfan19 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 12:53 AM #75
> MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

MegaZeo
Shattered Plot

Reading this, I couldn't help but think of Kyle from "Imaginationland":

"It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life, changed the way I act on the Earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary, but they're more important than most of us here, and they're all gonna be around long after we're dead. So, in a way... Those things are more realer than any of us."
MegaZeo is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:33 AM #76
> Grantsaunt
Galwit Mysto Prifior

Grantsaunt
Galwit Mysto Prifior

Snow White has been my favorite Disney princess ever since I was five years old and my kindergarten teacher told me I resembled her.

This Polish artist creates fantastic portraits of Snow White and other Disney princesses: http://daekazu.deviantart.com/

His rendering of Snow White, The Prince, and The Evil Queen
Grantsaunt is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:37 AM #77
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe

Grantsaunt wrote: View Post

This Polish artist creates fantastic portraits of Snow White and other Disney princesses: http://daekazu.deviantart.com/
Oh, man, I've loved Daekazu's work for years.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 01:40 AM #78
> Grantsaunt
Galwit Mysto Prifior

Grantsaunt
Galwit Mysto Prifior

Primo David Frank wrote: View Post

Oh, man, I've loved Daekazu's work for years.
I've loved him for years, too. He is amazing.
Grantsaunt is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:06 AM #79
> OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

So would Violet Parr of the incredibles be a princess and what Loretta Calisto of Miles From TomorrowLand and what bout Izzy from Jake And The NeverLand Pirates, so who else are princesses?
OmniMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2015, 02:49 AM #80
> Batfan19
Power Ranger

Batfan19
Power Ranger

"It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life, changed the way I act on the Earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary, but they're more important than most of us here, and they're all gonna be around long after we're dead. So, in a way... Those things are more realer than any of us."

I like this. A LOT.
Batfan19 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote