Home Menu

Menu

Old December 12th, 2013, 07:52 PM #21
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Mr Tuesday II wrote: View Post

Live-action Jafar's already in Once Upon A Time.
Fuck, that is a Disney show, isn't it? Never watched it, so I didn't even realize Jafar was in it. The Evil Queen is in it, too, but they changed her name to the less silly-sounding "Regina".
GetTheeToABrewery is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 07:55 PM #22
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Yeah, for all intents and purposes OUAT as being made by ABC is a Disney show. Hence why they've been able to borrow from Disney's top-tier lineup with no problems. I haven't watched it since its too surreal for me. This Descendents movie on the other hand seems a little more up my alley since it doesn't seem to be that large of a leap compared to OUAT.

As for the Evil Queen being called Regina...eh. They do say evil takes a form in Regina George.
Xalfrea is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:04 PM #23
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

Yeah, for all intents and purposes OUAT as being made by ABC is a Disney show. Hence why they've been able to borrow from Disney's top-tier lineup with no problems. I haven't watched it since its too surreal for me. This Descendents movie on the other hand seems a little more up my alley since it doesn't seem to be that large of a leap compared to OUAT.
OUAT is considered "too surreal" for you?

Well now I'm curious at what your criteria is for something that's "too surreal".
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:10 PM #24
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Surreal isn't the right term per se. It's more like the idea and story premise rubs me the wrong way a bit. Don't get me wrong it's a creative premise what with the town being representative of a fairy tale book and characters from the stories being thrust into the modern world is cool and all.

It's just...the idea of putting it in a present-day modern setting. For the most part, unless it's played in tongue and cheek or of its a parody, I'm not completely on board with modern-day renditions of fairy tales. Maybe if I watch the show more I may warm up to it, but right now I'm not in any hurry to watch it. I acknowledge it's a good show, but I can't bring myself to watch it right now.
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:41 PM #25
> Spider-Flash
Hyper Henshin Hero

Spider-Flash
Hyper Henshin Hero

I'll be honest and say that it sounds like a ridiculous idea,but my mind is susceptible to change once I give it a chance.
Spider-Flash is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 08:56 PM #26
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Surreal isn't the right term per se. It's more like the idea and story premise rubs me the wrong way a bit. Don't get me wrong it's a creative premise what with the town being representative of a fairy tale book and characters from the stories being thrust into the modern world is cool and all.

It's just...the idea of putting it in a present-day modern setting. For the most part, unless it's played in tongue and cheek or of its a parody, I'm not completely on board with modern-day renditions of fairy tales. Maybe if I watch the show more I may warm up to it, but right now I'm not in any hurry to watch it. I acknowledge it's a good show, but I can't bring myself to watch it right now.
(I should first amend this by saying that as of this post, I haven't caught up with OUAT, and am still in the middle of S2. So I have no idea if things have changed that much)

So...you think that having fairy tales in a modern-day setting is just too inherently silly to take seriously?

Well no, if it's done well, it works fine. And in the case of OUAT, it still tends to lean more towards the fantastical, since the main town is in an isolated area away from civilization. And that thankfully, the show doesn't revolve in and around fish out of water plotlines. So in that regards, it's not QUITE about fairy tales dealing with the modern world. That's more the domain of the graphic novel series "Fables", where it's a little more front and center in that story.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:13 PM #27
> The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

The 2nd Evil
Where Is Your Santa, Now?

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

Fuck, that is a Disney show, isn't it? Never watched it, so I didn't even realize Jafar was in it. The Evil Queen is in it, too, but they changed her name to the less silly-sounding "Regina".
If you want to get really technical, Jafar is on Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, Once Upon A Time's spin-off, where he is co-Big Bad with The Red Queen, whose real name is Anastasia, and may or may not be one of Cinderella's step-sisters. I love the show, but it's going to be a miracle if it even finishes it's 13 episode order.

On the other hand, Once Upon A Time has what has what's got be be a top contender for the most fucked up family tree in all of fiction.
The 2nd Evil is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:16 PM #28
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

Evil Haim Saban wrote: View Post

On the other hand, Once Upon A Time has what has what's got be be a top contender for the most fucked up family tree in all of fiction.
Even worse than Cyclops' from X-Men?

Last edited by GetTheeToABrewery; December 12th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM #29
> GUY W/ 1000 NAMES
Danny's a Facebook friend

GUY W/ 1000 NAMES
Danny's a Facebook friend

Never expected to learn anything about Monster High, but yeah, I'd watch it.
GUY W/ 1000 NAMES is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 09:38 PM #30
> ranger_scout
Power Ranger

ranger_scout
Power Ranger

I'm not sure what to think about this just yet. I think I'll have more of an opinion after seeing photos and preview clips.
ranger_scout is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:14 PM #31
> FlashmanX
Prism Flash

FlashmanX
Prism Flash

Mr Tuesday II wrote: View Post

Live-action Jafar's already in Once Upon A Time.
I gotta start watching this show
FlashmanX is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 12:56 AM #32
> Redshirt #24
BEWARE OF SAFETY

Redshirt #24
BEWARE OF SAFETY

After Monster High this really was just a matter of time, though I'm at least curious about how DC-incestuous the casting will turn out to be for this thing.
Redshirt #24 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 01:01 AM #33
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Light in the distance

johnboy3434 wrote: View Post

More specifically, "Jay Farre".
So his dad's name is Jafar Farre?

AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 03:51 AM #34
> night ranger
X-Man till i die

night ranger
X-Man till i die

riderkid wrote: View Post

...This is why we can;t let fanfiction writers make TV shows.
but isn't half of all Disney work fanfiction?
night ranger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 04:05 AM #35
> Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

Are people really going to cry foul and yell "fanfic" every time a crossover concept comes to life?

At least it's a concept within Disney, much like the Star Trek characters across various series meeting each other, or the incarnations of the Doctor meeting each other. They're still insular and within the company so it's not surprising they'd inevitably lead to that.
Old December 13th, 2013, 04:20 AM #36
> OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

OmniMystechRanger
SPECIAL MODERATOR, LORD, MASTER & BOSS OF STUPID UGLY FACE: GREENBEASTFIST & HASSO PRIMO

Are people really going to cry foul and yell "fanfic" every time a crossover concept comes to life?

At least it's a concept within Disney, much like the Star Trek characters across various series meeting each other, or the incarnations of the Doctor meeting each other. They're still insular and within the company so it's not surprising they'd inevitably lead to that.
Unfornately they will yell fanfic everytime someone come up with new concepts, like me if I get hired by dc comics, if I get permission I plan to have Gwen Tennyson show up in my own original comic called SHADOWWALKER owned by me, an this comic is under goldstar comics also owned by me, an if I get hired by cartoon network an get my Gwen Tennyson spinoff made, SHADOWWALKER would appear in her series!
OmniMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:31 AM #37
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

How did Jafar manage to have a child? He died at the end of Return of Jafar, and in the Hercules t.v. series crossover we clearly saw him in the Underworld with Hades.
BobbyDrake2000 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:38 AM #38
> OmniMystechRanger

OmniMystechRanger

Also here is thought if the descendants of Disney famous villains are to be heroes, does this not mean that as example the son or daughter of Peter Pan could be a villain or the descendant of Buzz LightYear is a villain an Zurg son or daughter is a hero!
OmniMystechRanger is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM #39
> BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

In Disney Canon, Peter never grows up, though. They could make John or Michael's children a villain, though.
BobbyDrake2000 is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 08:52 AM #40
> GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

GetTheeToABrewery
No Waltons Here

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

How did Jafar manage to have a child? He died at the end of Return of Jafar, and in the Hercules t.v. series crossover we clearly saw him in the Underworld with Hades.
Disney has never really been a stickler for continuity. Hell, the very premise of this show violates the setting of the movies it references. Cruella de Vil is clearly from a more modern era than any of the other characters.