Home Menu

Menu


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2019, 04:28 PM #4341
Virus's Avatar
> Virus
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,768
Virus
Power Ranger
Virus's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,768



BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

. An easier solution would have been for more care to have been taken from the beginning to not diverge too much from continuity. Or, even easier still, to set the show after the TNG-Voyager era, so they didn't have to worry about making a show with newer technology and production values line up with a series that was made 50 years ago on a slimmer budget.
But they couldn't leach off of the nostalgia of the OG series that way. We can't have that.
Virus is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:05 PM #4342
christopherjohn's Avatar
> christopherjohn
VIP Rider
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 12,851
christopherjohn
VIP Rider
christopherjohn's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 12,851



BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

Season 1 seemed like it just didn't give a shit. Then someone at CBS directed the producers to make it fit better to appease fans, and now season 2 is having to take time and go out of its way to try to reconcile the inconsistencies. An easier solution would have been for more care to have been taken from the beginning to not diverge too much from continuity. Or, even easier still, to set the show after the TNG-Voyager era, so they didn't have to worry about making a show with newer technology and production values line up with a series that was made 50 years ago on a slimmer budget.
Continuity and Star Trek are not something that goes hand and hand. There are a ton of continuity errors that had to be fixed later on. Also CBS fired who was responsible for all the problems. Which is why so many changes are happening in season 2.
christopherjohn is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2019, 10:25 PM #4343
BigMDtheSequel's Avatar
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,690
BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger
BigMDtheSequel's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,690



christopherjohn wrote: View Post

Continuity and Star Trek are not something that goes hand and hand. There are a ton of continuity errors that had to be fixed later on.
There are continuity errors, and then there's just having no regard for what came before. If Discovery was getting little details wrong, that would be one thing. But completely ignoring the aesthetics of the universe and the level of technological development in the time frame when the show was set is a whole other thing.

An error would be, "Oh, this episode says Sarek married Amanda in 2227 but a different episode says they married in 2229." Not giving a shit is saying, "Deep Space Nine introduced holographic communicators in season 5 but this show is set 100 years earlier but fuck it we're going to have our characters use holographic communicators because we think holograms are cool and also Starfleet uniforms will be navy blue track suits with high top sneakers even though other episodes set during this era had velour turtlenecks, black slacks, and leather boots."
BigMDtheSequel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 04:49 AM #4344
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,872
eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,872
eBay



I binged S2 after falling away at the start of the season. This dopey show continues to entertain me. Glad to be rid of the Klingons.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 06:39 AM #4345
> AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,119
AkaBunnyUnicorn
Crazy Alien Bunny Thing
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,119



BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

There are continuity errors, and then there's just having no regard for what came before. If Discovery was getting little details wrong, that would be one thing. But completely ignoring the aesthetics of the universe and the level of technological development in the time frame when the show was set is a whole other thing.

An error would be, "Oh, this episode says Sarek married Amanda in 2227 but a different episode says they married in 2229." Not giving a shit is saying, "Deep Space Nine introduced holographic communicators in season 5 but this show is set 100 years earlier but fuck it we're going to have our characters use holographic communicators because we think holograms are cool and also Starfleet uniforms will be navy blue track suits with high top sneakers even though other episodes set during this era had velour turtlenecks, black slacks, and leather boots."
This is why I'm still astounded they kept it in the Prime timeline instead of the Kelvin timeline (or any other alternate timeline). A few advanced tech things I could buy, but this is a lot of enhanced tech that makes the 24th Century tech look backwards, and it isn't like all of this was super secret.

Sadsmileyface wrote: View Post

Glad to be rid of the Klingons.
AkaBunnyUnicorn is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2019, 02:39 PM #4346
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,468
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,468



BigMDtheSequel wrote: View Post

There are continuity errors, and then there's just having no regard for what came before. If Discovery was getting little details wrong, that would be one thing. But completely ignoring the aesthetics of the universe and the level of technological development in the time frame when the show was set is a whole other thing.
Like TMP when they ignored the established klingon look redesigned them?
Like TSFS when they ignored the TMP klimgon look and redesigned them again?
Like TNG when they ignored romulans looking identical to vulcans and gave them forehead ridges?
Like DS9 when they ignored the Trill look and painted dots on Terry Farrell?
Like Voyager when they went to earth in 1996 and there were no eugenic wars and no interstellar space ships like the Botany Bay?
Like FC when they redesigned the borg and changed Zephram Cochrane completely?
Like Enterprise when they redsigned the Tellarites, Andorians, Gorn etc?


An error would be, "Oh, this episode says Sarek married Amanda in 2227 but a different episode says they married in 2229." Not giving a shit is saying, "Deep Space Nine introduced holographic communicators in season 5 but this show is set 100 years earlier but fuck it we're going to have our characters use holographic communicators because we think holograms are cool ...
How is that an error? When was it said on DS9 that holo communicators were never, ever used before? Not even ones that had flickering see through holograms instead of the advanced "Looks like an actor actually being on set" version.

Some technologies come and go and then come again like 3D movies for example, that wasn't new when Cameron released Avatar, the technology was already decades old and like before it fell out of favor and by now barely anyone cares anymore.
That the DS9 holo communicators disappeared after half a season, apparently they tried it, didn't like it a d wemt back to viewscreens. Discovery using holograms doesn't contradict anything.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
  Likes: (1)
Details on post Likes can be viewed by active members only. Log in or Register today if you're not yet a member.
Old March 19th, 2019, 07:02 AM #4347
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
> Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 32,693
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!
Cameron Samurai's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 32,693



Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn have come to the end of their one year contractual commitment and won't be returning as Pike and Number One after this season

https://deadline.com/2019/03/anson-m...-2-1202577741/
Cameron Samurai is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 08:45 AM #4348
DekaMax's Avatar
> DekaMax
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 378
DekaMax
Power Ranger
DekaMax's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 378



Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn have come to the end of their one year contractual commitment and won't be returning as Pike and Number One after this season
He's like the Pulaski of Discovery.
DekaMax is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 11:23 AM #4349
> AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 78,768
AkaPrimoKanyeWest
A Dino,a Wiz & a Wardrobe
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 78,768



Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Anson Mount and Rebecca Romijn have come to the end of their one year contractual commitment and won't be returning as Pike and Number One after this season

https://deadline.com/2019/03/anson-m...-2-1202577741/
The Anson Mount regular job curse continues.
AkaPrimoKanyeWest is online now     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:00 PM #4350
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
> ⚡Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,872
eBay
Sadsmileyface
Measuring up.
Sadsmileyface's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Posts: 24,872
eBay



I thought Pike had been OK.
Sadsmileyface is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:12 PM #4351
AtoMan's Avatar
> AtoMan
Now read my post again
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,338
AtoMan
Now read my post again
AtoMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,338



He was more than OK, but it was pretty obvious he's not gonna stay.

Romijin, though, had one scene so far?
AtoMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 12:58 PM #4352
> ⚡Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,468
Salted Pepper
Duck Mod
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,468



AtoMan wrote: View Post

He was more than OK, but it was pretty obvious he's not gonna stay.

Romijin, though, had one scene so far?
She'll probably have a bigger role towards the end of the season, now that Discovery is a fugitive ship they'll need help, enter Number One and the Enterprise.
Salted Pepper is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2019, 05:08 PM #4353
BigMDtheSequel's Avatar
> BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,690
BigMDtheSequel
Power Ranger
BigMDtheSequel's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,690



DekaMax wrote: View Post

He's like the Pulaski of Discovery.
Wasn't Lorka already the Pulaski of Discovery?

I wonder if they'll ever have a regular captain. Will Saru or Burnham get promoted?
BigMDtheSequel is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Post Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® / Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 

Connect







 

Design

    RangerBoard designs are exclusive to Members.
    Please login to access all available designs.