3 4.69%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 17th, 2018, 07:37 PM #61
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

timegold wrote: View Post

The fact that the teacher acknowledged Monty's biohazard and came prepared for it... it could've been a clever meta-joke, but it wasn't. Instead, it's just sad.

The lesson Sarah learned was fine, the parallels to the monster were fine, but the context didn't quite work for it. Especially given her character development. And the resolution was a bit off, the reward for her attitude shift should've paid off in the next test instead of her being allowed to retake the same test (which she already saw the questions for...).

On the flip side, actual training.
Well the only way they could've given a payoff for Sarah learning her lesson is if she failed the first test. But the first test was need to establish her overconfidence. Now, if this was a different show they might've shown her being overconfident in the episode before perhaps, then could've had her fail at the beginning, learn her lesson, and get a reward for it. But that's not how things were set up here. And when teachers allow students to retake tests, they don't just give then the same exact questions. They give them a test with similar questions. Otherwise yes, there'd be little point since they already saw the questions.

I mean does doing a couple sword swings in unison really constitute them doing "actual training"? Well for NSt, I guess it does.
Alitain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 07:40 PM #62
> timegold
Destroyer of Particles

timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Peter wrote: View Post

That is unsettling, isn't it?

Monty feels like a cartoon character, to me. Like, he just doesn't fit with any other part of the production. It doesn't make sense, why is he here?
There's a simple explanation for that.

Kyoryuger had a fart battery, and made some fart jokes with it. Someone at Saban Brands thought it was brilliant, and decided not only to adapt it, but also expand on it in that show, then expand even further on it in this show.

(Oh wait, "there's a simple explanation for that" is supposed to be followed by utter silence.)
timegold is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:19 PM #63
> ForeverDprime
Power Ranger

ForeverDprime
Power Ranger

The episode is decent but the fart jokes made it bad. I️ really hope thatís it. I️ never really had a problem with Victor and Monty but the fart jokes is something Iíll never understand
ForeverDprime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 10:08 PM #64
> ⚡Titanium321

Titanium321

Badonna will "take care" of Brax alright. That wasn't even subtle over your head joking there, guys.

Yeah... screw you Saban and forcing the high school setting that treats it as "1 teacher does everything like its elementary school". It just brings everything down when you force that in. As well as the "tell everyone their grades" thing, no one, not even little kids you're aiming for with that frame of reference, like that.

However, a teacher who sounds like her voice is about to go? That's just realism there.

Ok, now this is the kind of silly fan stuff Levi should run into more often if you're going to make him a known celebrity. This should have been his running gag all series long. Had you done that, you could have had the stalker fan always in the background in those shots until you built to the "overstepping bounds" plot last episode. There's just so many little things you could have taken the time to add in that would have improved the series so much, but I suspect you were constantly being told to cut them by a particularly overstepping of bounds heavy CEO.

Now, I get the moral of the day is "study, sometimes things are harder than you expect" but Sarah is a known genius already and they're studying something as simple as far as math goes. Probably not even full Algebra, I'm going to go ahead and say it's likely she really doesn't need to study for that test. Then again, this teacher goes from science to math to english so who knows what test 2 was even about.

The fart joke was a bit much, I think it would have worked better if they actually got away with making the class end early and it made Sarah realize she had to study after seeing the test was hard. Making it a gas mask joke kind of felt like it was a statement about doubling down on kids jokes by the writers after seeing online reactions but I kind of doubt they thought it out past "kids do like fart jokes"

I liked the Brax storyline, I just wish we had that for the whole episode. The high school subplot forced in as the A plot just felt like a step down. Super Steel was going great, but it's faltered in the last couple of episodes. I think this was a nice character episode, and its better than last week's, but I was hoping it'd be way better than it was. Too much side character stuff.

I really enjoyed Badonna's overreacting fangirling explaining the sentai footage of the rarely seen skullgators popping up again.
Titanium321 is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 07:29 AM #65
> rb123
Corinth Ranger

rb123
Corinth Ranger

There were little things I enjoyed here and there, but this was one of my least favorite episodes this season. Every beat of the story was just too predictable and felt like a Nick Jr. show more so than a proper episode of Power Rangers. Sarah learning a lesson like this is just dull; I want more character-based focus episodes like the ones with Hayley and Calvin or even the few that Preston got. I think I'm one of the few people that actually liked that ribbon tree episode. The last few weeks were really solid as well. This felt like a step backward.

Also, just as Victor and Monty were growing on me, they do this fart joke shit again. Blowing the door off its hinges was the final straw for me. The cartoon logic doesn't work for this show!

2/5
rb123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 10:00 AM #66
> big smile
Power Ranger

big smile
Power Ranger

Showing the "brainy one" being overconfident and not bothering to study is a nice idea for an episode. I like it when shows take a trait that isn't immediately associated with a character archetype, as it's a good way to explore that character.

Unfortunately, Ninja Steel makes the classic mistake of over-doing it, and Sarah ends up coming across as some brain dead goof, who bares no relation to the character we previously saw as being anxious about getting into college.

Speaking of overdoing it, the fart joke ran on for too long. I get it, it's for the kids. But DC did poop jokes that were genuinely funny. This just felt like a cheap laugh.

The star of the show was Badonna who was acting a lot like her Sentai counterpart in the way she was gushing over Brax. Switching him from her son to idol/love interest was a smart move.

Badonna/Ariake was the only one of the Ninninger villains that didn't look hideous. I always thought she should have been the lead villain in Ninja Steel. This was the first episode to import her wacky personality, but they should have had that from the start, as her wackiness would have fitted in well with Ninja Steel's tone.

But yeah, another dreadful episode. Ninja Steel is succeeding at it's goal of lowering the bar.
big smile is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 11:53 AM #67
> IAmShaun
Power Ranger

IAmShaun
Power Ranger

I voted a ĎFairí rating for this episode. The overall message about preparation is great advice to teach young kids and the execution, while a bit cheesy at timesí was a good representation of this.

But here we go again with the fart jokes. They arenít funny. Victor and Monty arenít funny and they are far from Bulk and Skull duo comedy.

Iím glad theyíre beginning to acknowledge Leviís celebrity status in school in more episodes. Attention to detail. For a while it was like everyone forgot he was a musician.

The scoring. For the love of God, please be consistent with your music! Two MMPR instrumentals. The cool guitar riff one is awesome. Def pumps up the morphing scenes as well as, in this episode, the Megazord summoning, but then they had the generic mix weíve had for years during the finish. Just feels messy and all over the place. Hopefully they scrap all these tunes for Beast Morphers and develop a whole new soundtrack.
IAmShaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 04:58 AM #68
> zjranger
#SavingTennis1BallAtATime

zjranger

I expected to groan this episode...yet somehow, it feels like it's SO bad, that it's good! The character whiplash was jarring, but I haven't seen rangers with attitude in a while now -- IMO, this episode, as exaggerated as it has been, had the pace of dialogue flow well. The characters feel like they're teenagers, rather than kids. However, as many has pointed out, Sarah did sound like a jerk this episode, and so did the other rangers when they try to underestimate Brax. I can't believe a genius like Sarah can be as careless as she was this episode. And even if she was, I doubt she would've had an F on her test -- IMO a C- or a D could've been believable.

Also, as much as the episode was so predictable, it was actually consistent its lesson. It's in your face, but it's not messed up unlike many previous episodes. However, the tone between having a new big threat and a math test is jarring, like the tension level didn't feel right. The Brax parts were good, but there are also issues with 1.) why we only know about his popularity just now? 2.) Tynamon is a general of what, and what's his relation with Brax is? 3.) why did Badonna hype up Brax as the rangers' biggest foe yet, even though the plan was to show that he's weak? 4.) why did Brax told his plan in the Galaxy Warriors show, when Mick you would think would've watched it?

In terms of the Sarah parts, I guess I see why the connected the ranger part with the school part, but I think it would've been much better to just incorporate the ranger parts in a supposed gamechanger like this. Anyway, the lesson as I said had been so obvious, but was more confusing is that Sarah keeps refusing listening to it, and she's not even showing other stuff that at least show procrastination. Another confusing thing though was Mrs. Finch said that there would be another test, and yet she didn't tell them what the test is going to be about, exactly. It seems weird for Sarah also to say that "she was given the wrong test", when there was nothing to prepare for!

I get that some quizzes makes you take things from future lessons, but I don't think it has been said to them that it's the case. Sarah gets an F (quite quickly, from what I see), and gets hammered by the lesson again being associated with life. So she somehow prepares for their fight against Brax, by completing the Superstar Blade, which really wasn't worth the hype Sarah was giving to it at that time, when I was expecting her to transform with armor or something. So the Brax fight comes, final attack, Sarah attacks with the new blade, yet somehow isn't defeated...which kinda undermines their preparation a bit.

Badonna makes Brax grow, then summons Skullgators because Sentai (although it fits her personality of being a comedic fangirl this episode), and the rangers split Megazords. What is weird though, is I don't think the Blaze Megazord had much to do in the fight? I mean there was a Serpent Punch but even then that was the only notable thing I saw this episode. Then the Ninja Steel Megazord attacked...then somehow its other forms appeared? For an episode that explains how we should prepare, we did not see that coming.

So Brax' disappearance from battle wasn't cleared up, while we return to school and of course we got to have a "happy ending". Sarah apologizes for her laziness, and the teacher accepts it...yet rewards her by making her take the same test again! Not only did Sarah not get accountability for her actions but also not given a chance to actually learn by truly testing her. The teacher also opens a can of worms where any student apologizing for their failure to study becomes valid and that they have the right to take the test now, you think.

So yeah, the episode was actually more confusing than cringy, because while it is nice to see some seemingly genuine high school drama here, it was done very cartoonishly, which is more of a Victory and Monty thing. The plot was consistent (which is a problem for the season), but the plot and execution (the said over-the-top nature of it) isn't good IMO. Talking about Victory & Monty, well it has been said here before, and it is quite sad that even with the gas mask gag it was more meh than funny, when meta stuff like that usually is. It's interesting that the meta stuff were played straight here. Don't get me started with the door gags with the 1st part not making any sense!
zjranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 08:42 AM #69
> saddleguru
Power Ranger

saddleguru
Power Ranger

My biggest issue with Ninja Steel and this episode, is the storylines have not been consistent with who the characters are. The lessons they need to learn don't make sense for who they are as people and what they stand for or have interest in. They need to give each character focus episodes, but they can do that while sticking true to what makes them them. And there's no growth, they fall into the same lessons over and over again. I just wish the character arcs were more consistent.

I do however, enjoy the moments when they get the opportunity as a cast to feed off each other in small banter, when the scene is not just about how to defeat the monster. That's when I feel like they act the most like high schoolers, as they should.
saddleguru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:12 PM #70
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

zjranger wrote: View Post

The Brax parts were good, but there are also issues with 1.) why we only know about his popularity just now? 2.) Tynamon is a general of what, and what's his relation with Brax is? 3.) why did Badonna hype up Brax as the rangers' biggest foe yet, even though the plan was to show that he's weak? 4.) why did Brax told his plan in the Galaxy Warriors show, when Mick you would think would've watched it?
Well we've had basically every bad guy come on talking about how cool they are the episode they're introduced. It's not really unbelievable for Brax to be popular amongst monster/villain kind and to have not heard about him yet. They don't exactly focus on the lives of the villains. The whole plan was to make the rangers think they were bad ass so they'd let their guard down. So Badonna hypes Brax, and then when Brody "defeats" him so easily it makes them think they really must be awesome now cause he was so powerful. Does Mick actually watch Galaxy Warriors?

In terms of the Sarah parts, I guess I see why the connected the ranger part with the school part, but I think it would've been much better to just incorporate the ranger parts in a supposed gamechanger like this. Anyway, the lesson as I said had been so obvious, but was more confusing is that Sarah keeps refusing listening to it, and she's not even showing other stuff that at least show procrastination. Another confusing thing though was Mrs. Finch said that there would be another test, and yet she didn't tell them what the test is going to be about, exactly. It seems weird for Sarah also to say that "she was given the wrong test", when there was nothing to prepare for!
Well the whole point of the lesson was Sarah was overconfident and didn't believe she needed to study for the second test cause she clearly was so smart. So she did blow off studying for the movie which would be procrastination. As for the second test, it was clear the students knew the second test was coming, it was part 2, not just totally new and different test that happened to be the very next day. Which would mean it was on similar things, and she would've assumedly covered all that when she announced the two part test before. It wasn't like the second test was a surprise to anyone. If that had bee the case then I'd get what you're saying about her not telling them anything, but that's not how it went. Sarah's comment about it being the wrong test was because since she didn't study she didn't actually know as much as she thought she did. So she looked at the test, was dumbfounded by the questions, and in a desperate attempt hoped that she somehow got the wrong test. Cause for her, she assumed she of course knew it all and could tackle any silly ol' test. And she was horribly wrong.

I get that some quizzes makes you take things from future lessons, but I don't think it has been said to them that it's the case. Sarah gets an F (quite quickly, from what I see), and gets hammered by the lesson again being associated with life. So she somehow prepares for their fight against Brax, by completing the Superstar Blade, which really wasn't worth the hype Sarah was giving to it at that time, when I was expecting her to transform with armor or something. So the Brax fight comes, final attack, Sarah attacks with the new blade, yet somehow isn't defeated...which kinda undermines their preparation a bit.
Well the point was to not be overconfident. While it wasn't done well exactly, in terms of the ranger side they thought they were all awesome and so didn't bother to be cautious when facing Brax again, which he used against them by kicking their butts. So then they did some "training" and Sarah made the Superstar Blade for some added power, and then they actually went in prepared this time. The point wasn't for the blade to defeat Brax, but for the fact that Sarah focused on doing something to prepare for the battle against him. They were facing a tough opponent, so she finally buckles down and finished the blade cause it could give them an edge with the added power.
Old September 19th, 2018, 05:40 PM #71
> zjranger

zjranger

I agree that overconfidence can be the central driving force of the episode, but as I said, it wasn't clear what exactly Part 2 was. Do we just assume that Part 1 and Part 2 were both announced to be of a particular topic, at the same time? I don't think it was clear enough. I think some are confused about what is the central thing of the episode though, just like Love Stings (which was about listening, when it really was more about consent) -- is it being prepared (as the episode is TELLING us), or is not be overconfident (as the episode is SHOWING us)? I think I viewed it more in the former, hence it was confusing to me.
zjranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2018, 09:39 AM #72
> RedSurge
Power Ranger

RedSurge
Power Ranger

Why would it be Part 1 and Part 2 and not be the same topic? When I was in hs (or legit in any other area a multi parter exists in) Part 2 was expanding on material from Part 1.
RedSurge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2018, 12:56 PM #73
> PhantomRider44
Power Ranger

PhantomRider44
Power Ranger

The introduction to Brax and Tynamon was cool but the show needs to chill with the physical humor and fart stuff, it stinks, (yes pun intended)
PhantomRider44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2018, 03:54 PM #74
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Victor and Monty's fart jokes aren't funny writers! Especially if you telegraph the joke in the first scene they're in! In fact, if you telegraph what your moral is right off the bat, you're also doing your job just as poorly!

Also, Levi's lesson from the previous episode clearly wasn't fully executed since he's mobbed by fans but also has to study for the test, despite his fame and status.

The be prepared lesson could've worked better if Sarah wasn't overconfident to the point that she wasn't overly prepared like she was in previous episodes. But nope... Continuity and consistency? What are those?

*sigh* Part of me wants to give this episode the failing grade the title says it rightfully deserves... However... I will give the episode some credit, in that the teacher was prepared for the bad fart humor, the other Rangers wanting to be prepared for the test, and Mick wanted to be prepared for the MotW's fake out second assault,.

I see some decent pre-planning with this episode's script... just not enough to say it barely passes.

Last edited by RangerSentai; September 20th, 2018 at 04:02 PM.
RangerSentai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2018, 05:54 PM #75
> Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

Ninjasteel1987
Power Ranger

I got the spectrum app to work on my fire stick with a rotation app apk and a mouse apk.this allows me to watch pr live on my tv once again
Ninjasteel1987 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2018, 06:48 PM #76
> IMTIRED
Power Ranger fan on Kauai

IMTIRED
Power Ranger fan on Kauai

I had to get up and walk away. If it were a movie I'd have walked out. This series will go down in history as Power Rangers Ninja Fart.
IMTIRED is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:12 AM #77
> Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay
Red Dino Ranger
Defender of Earth

eBay

Screw you, Ninja Steel! Both you and your fart jokes! ...and congratulations on making me, for the first time in my life, feel ashamed of watching Power Rangers.
Red Dino Ranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM #78
> Alitain
God of Benevolence

Alitain
God of Benevolence

zjranger wrote: View Post

I agree that overconfidence can be the central driving force of the episode, but as I said, it wasn't clear what exactly Part 2 was. Do we just assume that Part 1 and Part 2 were both announced to be of a particular topic, at the same time? I don't think it was clear enough. I think some are confused about what is the central thing of the episode though, just like Love Stings (which was about listening, when it really was more about consent) -- is it being prepared (as the episode is TELLING us), or is not be overconfident (as the episode is SHOWING us)? I think I viewed it more in the former, hence it was confusing to me.
I mean, you're not going to take a history test in history, then have to take a math test also in history. But they do show at least that part 2 was about math since the other rangers were quizzing each other on math problems before the first "attack" by Brax. Either way it doesn't really matter what the subject was about, the point was about being overconfident. Sarah was overconfident due to acing the first part, so she blew off studying thinking she could do it again no problem. The rangers were overconfident when facing Brax again due to thinking they had defeated him super easily the first time. Not being prepared is a symptom of them being overconfident, and thus preparing themselves like they eventually do after the second encounter, is what allows them to succeed in the end. If Sarah hadn't been so overconfident then she would've studied and prepared for the test, and wouldn't have failed. If the rangers hadn't been overconfident they would've gone in with some caution as usual, treating Brax as a threat instead they didn't and were taken by surprised and had their butts kicked.

Now, will say again that the ranger side of the moral wasn't done well. Mainly cause the solution of 'well we better "train" more, and Sarah should make her more power super blade' wasn't exactly fitting. They should've discussed actual strategy, and Sarah could've suggested the blade as a way to give them a little more edge. Cause the way they did it it makes it seem like the reason they failed was cause they just weren't strong enough. But that only would've worked if we had seen the rangers actually slacking off on training. If they had Mick in the beginning of the ep comment on the rangers being lax with training lately, and one or more rangers make up excuses, then we had Brax show up with his fake failure and all, then it wouldn't at least made more sense.

But instead it really came down to the way the rangers engaged Brax. Without a normal level of caution to make sure they were ready for a threat, so it left them open for his surprise. But really, their training couldn't have been more than like a day, maybe two, and their sword swinging wasn't suddenly going to make them all that much stronger to defeat Brax, not in any useful amount. For me, I feel like it was only a day at most which also brings up another fault I didn't think about before. Did Sarah even train? I mean we see her while the others do synchronized sword swinging finishing the super blade with Mick. So did she training earlier, then jump to that? Or did she spend the whole time just working on the blade, which would technically mean Sarah forsook training for just a more powerful weapon as her means of 'getting stronger' which could send a bad message and clash with the personal growth message.

But yeah, they just didn't do a good job handling the ranger side of the moral. The rangers talking strategy about how to handle Brax from what they knew of him and his abilities wouldn't been the right way to demonstrate the rangers going about things the right way. But this is NSt, so who was surprised they'd botch it? No one.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 AM #79
> Iroquois
Power Ranger

Iroquois
Power Ranger

I'm really just wondering what could possibly be in a part 2 of a math test that a genius-level student and overachiever like Sarah would outright fail.

Okay, seriously, just saw it and it was terrible, the moral lesson too forced, the characters all over the place and the fart jokes alone made me want to skip yet another season. I'm surprised Chip even adds his names to the credits of material like this. Actually, I'm starting to think there is a reason he is using the nickname instead of his real name.

The saddest thing, however, is that when they "beat" discount-Goldar at the start of the episode, I didn't even bat an eye. The Neo-Saban Rangers have faced so little adversity, they never even seem to break a sweat fighting the good fight, even during season finales. This makes the foundation of this whole episode so hard to buy. Sure they'd be overconfident; not because this one monster faked out being defeated, but because no enemy has ever managed to really deal any worthwhile blows to them.
Iroquois is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
prepare to fart