RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old September 24th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #141
The Blue Enforcer
The soul still burns

Quick Question: If General Venjix was introduced during the events of Zeo, would it have made his role in FR a lot more meaningful? Tonally, do you think that General Venjix would have fit within the Zeo series?
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #142
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

The Blue Enforcer wrote: View Post

Quick Question: If General Venjix was introduced during the events of Zeo, would it have made his role in FR a lot more meaningful? Tonally, do you think that General Venjix would have fit within the Zeo series?
You bet! =D It's like asking about the Stormtroopers!
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:52 AM   #143
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

One thing I never liked about Zeo was the lack of a general character, so I would have appreciated a Venjix being involved.

But I will admit the tone wouldn't have been right. Sprocket and Klank both played on light comedy, so having an ornery by-the-book robot in the mix would be motor oil and water. I actually like the idea Britranger came up with who said Admiral Abominator would have been perfect to be adapted for that role in Zeo.

Furthermore, not everything need be a callback. In real life, familiar organizations are constantly revived by new or previously unknown names, so why should the Machine Empire have been any different?
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #144
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

One thing I didn't realise until recently is how many episode titles are pop culture references, often to things kids would never understand: "A Brief Mystery Of Time" is a Stephen Hawking reference, for example. So most of these are plays on old musicals, films, or just popular sayings, then you just have "Mean Screen" or "Hawaii Zeo".
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #145
Rhonan
Super Beast On!

Naw. The whole point of the machine empire is for them to be this all encompassing evil empire; they wouldn't have need for Venjix. Or, at least that's would they think.
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:08 PM   #146
Kaigan
Banned

AngieYaz wrote: View Post

How is that at all like the Stormtroopers?
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #147
Rhonan
Super Beast On!

What do Stormtroopers and a computer virus have anything in common?
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #148
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Rhonan wrote: View Post

What do Stormtroopers and a computer virus have anything in common?
Ah, never mind.

General Venjix was pretty cool, but I agree, his origins within the Machine Empire are a mystery.
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:40 PM   #149
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

He was probably chilling with Thrax.
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #150
Ankh Primo

Spoony Spoonerson wrote: View Post

One thing I didn't realise until recently is how many episode titles are pop culture references, often to things kids would never understand: "A Brief Mystery Of Time" is a Stephen Hawking reference, for example. So most of these are plays on old musicals, films, or just popular sayings, then you just have "Mean Screen" or "Hawaii Zeo".
Kids don't understand most pop culture references, so it's more for the benefit of the writers and an easter egg for the audience to grow up and appreciate later.

And "Hawaii Zeo" was a play on Hawaii Five-0.
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:19 PM   #151
BluePR
Power Ranger

Ankh Prime wrote: View Post

Uh... no. The entire point was that the Machine Empire was too strong to fight with the old powers. What even is your basis for them being weaker?
I did think the Cogs seemed weaker than the putties, of course the henchmen always get owned but the Cog fights seemed briefer because the Cogs more willing or eager to retreat.

Ataruman wrote: View Post

-"Graduation Blues"...it could have worked as a Billy departure if he chose to left at this point, but it's weird that all that happened as it did.
I kind of thought the Rangers were all close to graduation (in part due to the Season 3 blooper line "They've been in high school too long") though they actually turned out to have a while to go. Too bad Billy never did develop a plan for what to do afterward other than keep helping as an adviser and then having to go to and then (very soon after) choosing to stay on Aquitar.
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #152
Ankh Primo

BluePR wrote: View Post

I did think the Cogs seemed weaker than the putties, of course the henchmen always get owned but the Cog fights seemed briefer because the Cogs more willing or eager to retreat.
I both agree and disagree.

Disagree in that most fights with Cogs were morphed, so of course the Zeo Rangers would blow them out easily. Agree in that A FREAKING DOG once scared them off.
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #153
Rhonan
Super Beast On!

PrimoMystechRanger wrote: View Post

I both agree and disagree.

Disagree in that most fights with Cogs were morphed, so of course the Zeo Rangers would blow them out easily. Agree in that A FREAKING DOG once scared them off.
Seriously!? A dog scared off some cogs!?
Old September 24th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #154
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Well, yes, he would have fit within the season.
Old September 24th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #155
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

BluePR wrote: View Post

I kind of thought the Rangers were all close to graduation (in part due to the Season 3 blooper line "They've been in high school too long") though they actually turned out to have a while to go. Too bad Billy never did develop a plan for what to do afterward other than keep helping as an adviser and then having to go to and then (very soon after) choosing to stay on Aquitar.
I mentioned it in my own thread, but I think if they used "Graduation Blues" as a means to have Billy leave permanently, then the mess that lead to "Rangers of Two Worlds" could have been avoided. (then again we also wouldn't have had the awesomeness of "Mr. Billy's Wild Ride") We know why David Yost left, so really this was a good exit point if it weren't for him being signed on for what they had and leaving due to the homophobia.

Rhonan wrote: View Post

Seriously!? A dog scared off some cogs!?
That's nothing: if they fully adapted the mook footage of early Carranger, they would have had the hilarious randomness of "a Wurmple running away from a small dachshund".
Old September 24th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #156
Rhonan
Super Beast On!

Ataruman wrote: View Post

I mentioned it in my own thread, but I think if they used "Graduation Blues" as a means to have Billy leave permanently, then the mess that lead to "Rangers of Two Worlds" could have been avoided. (then again we also wouldn't have had the awesomeness of "Mr. Billy's Wild Ride") We know why David Yost left, so really this was a good exit point if it weren't for him being signed on for what they had and leaving due to the homophobia.

That's nothing: if they fully adapted the mook footage of early Carranger, they would have had the hilarious randomness of "a Wurmple running away from a small dachshund".
I do remember in Carranger that the police guy and the red ranger sang and some bad guys stopped. Is there more like the in OhRanger!?
Old September 28th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #157
Mattymorphin
mattymorphinpowerranger

eBay
I enjoy the Gold Ranger arc and aspect, but I find the season loses it's zest as it continues on. Not my favorite, but not the worst. Just not as engaging as some other seasons, however, the costumes and villians are splendid!
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:37 PM   #158
BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

If David Yost had left at the end of "Graduation Blues" and at the time of Steve Cardenas deciding it was his time to exit as well, they should have just gone the extra mile and introduce Justin to give him some proper build-up before the Turbo movie.

Three Blue Rangers, one stone. Billy moves on, but we get his replacement as the Ranger techie in his young cousin, who could already know the Ranger's identities through some Tim Drake style sleuthing off camera before he even shows up. Then when Rocky leaves in the Turbo movie (maybe he's injured during the beach fight with Divatox), he passes the power to Justin.
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:40 PM   #159
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

The monsters—ALL of them—deserve their praises. Some of them could have been strong allies and have aided the universe well in times of crisis.
Old September 28th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #160
Kaigan
Banned

The monsters—ALL of them—deserve their praises. Some of them could have been strong allies and have aided the universe well in times of crisis.
Why are you still on this? They were evil. They were built to be evil. They were always going to be evil.
Closed Thread