Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old July 20th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #41
big smile
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I even thought that's who Tommy was referring to when he said he thinks he knows someone who could handle the power when it turned out Billy couldn't get them.
I thought that too.

The Gold Ranger Saga was awesome as it was a triple fake out.
First you think it's Billy, but then it turns out to be Trey, but then it turns out it's going to be Billy afterall, but then it's David and then it's Jason
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #42
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by big smile View Post
I thought that too.

The Gold Ranger Saga was awesome as it was a triple fake out.
First you think it's Billy, but then it turns out to be Trey, but then it turns out it's going to be Billy afterall, but then it's David and then it's Jason
David Yost has spoken about how he didn't like how the writers decided to mess with the viewers that way. It's like, they pretty much got peoples' hopes up that Billy would be a ranger again, but then that's not what happens. I don't know how it affected others, but I know it didn't really bother me all that much.
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #43
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
David Yost has spoken about how he didn't like how the writers decided to mess with the viewers that way. It's like, they pretty much got peoples' hopes up that Billy would be a ranger again, but then that's not what happens. I don't know how it affected others, but I know it didn't really bother me all that much.
He's going to be legitimately surprised then.

I really wish some of the Machine Monsters did become good somehow.
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:51 AM   #44
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieYaz View Post
I haven't reached Zeo in my rewatch yet, but the problem is that they seemed to make all the Machine Empire/Baranoia MotW one-dimensional. This isn't like Ohranger where you had some MotW who actually were more complex (mostly thinking the Bara Cactus brothers and Bara Revenger); Power Rangers for the most part wasn't at the point of having "good" monsters like it was by the time you get to Waspinator in Space.
Old July 20th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #45
big smile
Power Ranger

Quote:
I was sad that Billy didn't became a Ranger, but having Jason back was awesome. (If the Gold powers went to some new character, that would have been lame).

Although I don't understand why they couldn't have created an American exclusive Ranger for Billy. Most the Cog fights were US footage, so they could have said he had some special battle mode, which he could use to take on Cogs, but was too weak for monster fights. It would have been a extra toy to sell.

At the very least, they could have given him Warrior Wheel as his own Zord (It could have been that project he was working on). Or maybe reworked Auric into his Ranger form.

They could also have done a better job of integrating him in the civilian scenes. They started off well, but shortly after the time of the Snow Bussiness arc, he just spent most of his time in the Power Chamber (although there were a few exceptions).
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #46
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataruman View Post
Power Rangers for the most part wasn't at the point of having "good" monsters like it was by the time you get to Waspinator in Space.
Waspicable.

Someone's been watching too much Beast Wars. Not that you shouldn't, Beast Wars is godly.

Quote:
I don't understand why they couldn't have created an American exclusive Ranger for Billy.
Because they didn't need to. Only reason we got Titanium was because Bandai wouldn't be denied their sweet, sweet sixth money.

Also, when left to their own devices, Bandai tends to muff the punt. Anything as ghastly as the Mega Spectra Beetleborgs back then may have put me off Power Rangers forever.
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #47
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Quote:

We know Angie. We know.

Quote:
I was sad that Billy didn't became a Ranger, but having Jason back was awesome. (If the Gold powers went to some new character, that would have been lame).

Although I don't understand why they couldn't have created an American exclusive Ranger for Billy. Most the Cog fights were US footage, so they could have said he had some special battle mode, which he could use to take on Cogs, but was too weak for monster fights. It would have been a extra toy to sell.
I wasn't in the know about PR as I am now. So seeing Jason return as the Gold Ranger really surprised me. Unfortunately, I only caught the middle of the episode since I came home late since after school, I went to a different school to sign up for the drivers ed course that they'd be holding there. Plus the remote to the VCR got lost somewhere. Thus I wasn't able to set the VCR for when I was out.

With the way David Yost ended up leaving, I'm glad they didn't make him a ranger in retrospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoMystechRanger View Post
Waspicable.

Also, when left to their own devices, Bandai tends to muff the punt. Anything as ghastly as the Mega Spectra Beetleborgs back then may have put me off Power Rangers forever.
The Mega Spectra BeetleBorgs were fine with me, except for the cape on the Titanium Silver BeetleBorg.
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #48
SgtReed24
Power Ranger

I remember being super pissed that Billy was stepping down as a ranger at the beginning of Zeo. Especially to hand over the power to some unproven newbie. That meant basically the entire team was no longer the originals... and the line that zordon says, "The Power Rangers as you once knew them, are no more." always got to me. Cause it wasn't only the suits, but the rangers themselves as well. (minus Tommy of course).

So, that said, I was sad when Billy couldn't receive the powers (and I thought the reasoning was a BS one), but when Jason got them... I was super hyped because he's my all time favorite.

I do agree with the above poster that said Billy should have still gotten his own ranger power in Zeo. He should have made his own since the zeo crystal didn't choose him or whatever. "I figured you guys could use a hand!" , "Just like old times" , "our genius!"
Old July 20th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #49
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
I haven't reached Zeo in my rewatch yet, but the problem is that they seemed to make all the Machine Empire/Baranoia MotW one-dimensional. This isn't like Ohranger where you had some MotW who actually were more complex (mostly thinking the Bara Cactus brothers and Bara Revenger); Power Rangers for the most part wasn't at the point of having "good" monsters like it was by the time you get to Waspinator in Space.
Bara Gusuka was actually pretty complex too. She was HATED by Mondo's counterpart, remember? For making them fall asleep?
Old July 21st, 2017, 09:53 PM   #50
DanKnight1221
Power Ranger

Quote:
With the way David Yost ended up leaving, I'm glad they didn't make him a ranger in retrospect..
True, given how he left so abruptly the writers would have been scrambling if they had to make someone else the Gold Ranger with that little notice. Likely would have created a newbie out of nowhere or given it Tommy's brother or something.

Shame it went down like it did with the actor who played Billy. Assuming it happened how he said that is a sad state. But likely dodged a bullet not making him the Gold Ranger.
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:29 PM   #51
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Does anyone wish that certain episodes were good enough that they could have been two-parters?
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:46 AM   #52
Akumaru
Power Ranger

They should had make the villans which are after of Gold Ranger show up more times !!!
Old July 22nd, 2017, 06:55 PM   #53
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoMystechRanger View Post
Waspicable.

Someone's been watching too much Beast Wars. Not that you shouldn't, Beast Wars is godly.
Admissions: haven't seen any Transformers series. Was never my thing. Should do Beast Wars though...or the original series (especially since I am thinking of doing a Brave series watch soon and the classic Transformers sort of ultimately lead to them in a bizarre set of circumstances) But yeah, Waspicable.

Quote:
Bara Gusuka was actually pretty complex too. She was HATED by Mondo's counterpart, remember? For making them fall asleep?
Bara Gusuka wasn't that complex. It had an annoying power that Hysterrier figured would work better on dealing with Earth so it wouldn't put the Baranoia forces to sleep. They didn't hate Bara Gusuka, they just thought it was annoying that its power could do such a thing; it sort of showed Baranoia's own faults in having various MotW of various types that weren't completely as easy or obedient as they want. (also see the Bara Cactus brothers, Bara Nightmare, Bara Revenger, and so forth) It wasn't even that powerful at first due to Riki being able to withstand it until Henna Otoko comes along and does his upgrades. Bara Gusuka's "power" later on is all due to a bizarre mad scientist playing around with Baranoia tech; and Bara Gusuka remained technically evil throughout due to just putting people to sleep without emotion or care of who it does so and why.

As much as you want to make Somnibot about being "good" in "wanting to put Alpha to sleep", the truth is that it really only has only one meaning, purpose and care: putting things to sleep, that's it. Somnibot never was given any emotions to care about anything else and no characterization to show it as anything else other than a walking sleep machine. The MotW of Baranoia (and maybe the Machine Empire; as said trying to get to my Zeo rewatch but working my way through MMPR3 currently) tend to have one purpose and only one purpose which is generally in service of the empire. Bara Gusuka was less a fluke and more an annoyance sent to deal with Earth due to it's power and just a desire for Baranoia to not deal with it's power. It doesn't have the same elements that make it interesting like the Bara Cactus brothers (respect for their fellow brother over the empire's needs), Bara Revenger (possessing the hatred of Baranoia due to being broken cast off parts found to be imperfect for their needs) or Bara Nightmare (a rebel seen as too destructive and ambitious for Bacchushund's grand design). Even a monster like Bara Pinokiller is way more interesting in at least playing with the idea of being a helpful robot meant to infiltrate society as "sleepers". While I can't say if Somnibot is the same as it's Sentai counterpart, it never got the characterization of these others MotW to allow for it to be anything more other than "an annoyance just sent to deal with Earth".

Oh and let's not forget: Bara Gusuka was defeated...by Dorin's pet lizard!
Old July 22nd, 2017, 08:54 PM   #54
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
Bara Gusuka wasn't that complex. It had an annoying power that Hysterrier figured would work better on dealing with Earth so he wouldn't put the Baranoia forces to sleep. They didn't hate Bara Gusuka, they just thought it was annoying that his power could do such a thing; he sort of showed Baranoia's own faults in having various MotW of various types that weren't completely as easy or obedient as they want. (also see the Bara Cactus brothers, Bara Nightmare, Bara Revenger, and so forth) He wasn't even that powerful at first due to Riki being able to withstand it until Henna Otoko comes along and does his upgrades. Bara Gusuka's "power" later on is all due to a bizarre mad scientist playing around with Baranoia tech; and Bara Gusuka remained technically evil throughout due to just putting people to sleep without emotion or care of who he does so and why.

As much as you want to make Somnibot about being "good" in "wanting to put Alpha to sleep", the truth is that she really only has only one meaning, purpose and care: putting animals, people and robots to sleep with her singing, that's it. Somnibot never was given any emotions to care about anything else and no characterization to show her as anything else other than a walking sleep machine. The MotW of Baranoia (and maybe the Machine Empire; as said trying to get to my Zeo rewatch but working my way through MMPR3 currently) tend to have one purpose and only one purpose which is generally in service of the empire. Bara Gusuka was less a fluke and more an annoyance sent to deal with Earth due to his power and just a desire for Baranoia to not deal with his power. It doesn't have the same elements that make it interesting like the Bara Cactus brothers (respect for their fellow brother over the empire's needs), Bara Revenger (possessing the hatred of Baranoia due to being broken cast off parts found to be imperfect for their needs) or Bara Nightmare (a rebel seen as too destructive and ambitious for Bacchushund's grand design). Even a monster like Bara Pinokiller is way more interesting in at least playing with the idea of being a helpful robot meant to infiltrate society as "sleepers". While I can't say if Somnibot is the same as her Sentai counterpart, he never got the characterization of these others MotW to allow for it to be anything more other than "an annoyance just sent to deal with Earth".

Oh and let's not forget: Bara Gusuka was defeated...by Dorin's pet lizard!
Thanks for informing me. You're quite brainy. I get what you're saying about Somnibot being evil, but still it's fun to imagine what she could do with her powers if she was on the side of good.

When you do get to this episode, please watch it. My friend Elizabeth reviewed it, and we're both wanting to do a Ranger Rant on it with Archer9234 someday. We'll both keep this info in mind.

Last edited by AngieYaz; July 22nd, 2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:26 AM   #55
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Thanks for informing me. You're quite brainy. I get what you're saying about Somnibot being evil, but still it's fun to imagine what she could do with her powers if she was on the side of good.

When you do get to this episode, please watch it. My friend Elizabeth reviewed it, and we're both wanting to do a Ranger Rant on it with Archer9234 someday. We'll both keep this info in mind.
When I get to Zeo, we'll discuss things further. As it stands, I just want to get through season 3 of my watch. (just got through "Changing of the Zords", only really have a few weeks left then may take a break)
Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:41 AM   #56
Sevenlima
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKnight1221 View Post
True, given how he left so abruptly the writers would have been scrambling if they had to make someone else the Gold Ranger with that little notice. Likely would have created a newbie out of nowhere or given it Tommy's brother or something.
David seemed to be a good choice to be the Gold Ranger but, i don't think he did not have martials arts skills enough to be a ranger.
Old July 23rd, 2017, 09:42 AM   #57
Cammy
This cage demeans us both

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenlima View Post
David seemed to be a good choice to be the Gold Ranger but, i don't think he did not have martials arts skills enough to be a ranger.
It was said before somewhere that the powers/suit give you the skills you need, plus the confidence to learn said skills in your human form. Blue Ranger Billy was pretty good at kicking butt, Zyuranger footage aside; but human Billy wasn't as good at the start. He did progress as the series went on; to even kicking Goldar/Putty butt in Season 2. So I imagine the same could be said for David in time.

In David's case, Tommy did get too cocky and fought harder than he should have in their friendly sparring match but it showed that David does indeed have some skill. If the new Gold Ranger was indeed David, it would've helped his confidence too. I can see why they didn't, because the later power loss would've upset him just as much as losing to the sparring match.
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #58
ZenAku32
Power Ranger

I liked Zeo when it originally aired but came to love it when I did my re-watch of every PR season ever when the DVDs came out.

It felt like a natural progression from MMPR and kept what worked about MMPR while also slightly updating some stuff.

I was a fan of the new suits and Zords. I missed the old suits but the Zeo suits were good replacements, IMO anyways.

While the Machine Empire didn't live up to the hype, I thought their introduction was great. These guys scared Zedd and Rita so much that they had to flee rather than stay and fight right after their victory over the Rangers. That certainly grabbed my attention as a kid. I also liked the cold war that Zedd and Rita waged against the Machine Empire in the back half of the season. I always wished more had been done with it though.

This season really made me love Rocky and turned him into one of my favorite Zordon-era Rangers. I crushed on him hard. I was so upset when he left at the start of Turbo.

Add to that the fact that Jason, my original Ranger crush, shows up and becomes the Gold Ranger? It blew my mind back then and I still love that whole arc today.

Tanya was awesome. I felt like the writers did more for her character in Zeo than they did for Aisha in MMPR. She was shown to be a dedicated Ranger and she could stand up for herself. I liked her arc dealing with her boyfriend Shawn and how he couldn't handle dating a girl who was better at baseball than he was. She handled that situation with class.

Bulk, Skull, and Stone becoming private detectives was a good move. I always liked them as detectives better than junior police officers even though I thought them becoming junior police officers was a good move for the characters as well.

I just feel that Zeo did a lot right and was really entertaining. I liked it so much that when Turbo came around and was just awful I pretty much stopped watching until In Space premiered.
Old July 26th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #59
MMPRFan90
Power Ranger

I enjoyed Zeo and honestly what I enjoyed most was the that the show continued the more consistent plot and archs that we started to see in S3. Also it ALMOST became a bit more serialized. I really enjoyed the cast. Tanya is one of my all-time favorite rangers so it was cool to see her get a little bit of focus in her first few episodes with standing up to her crappy boyfriend Sean and building a special bond with Adam. Something that I didn't necessarily enjoy was the lack of focus for Kat, who had such a great introduction and first few episodes as Pink Ranger in MMPR S3. Kat was basically reduced to a plot device for Tommy all season.
Old July 27th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #60
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Sean as such a jackass to Tanya.
Closed Thread