RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old July 17th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #1
BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

Power Rangers Zeo discussion

So just as I posted a season 2 discussion thread as I was re-watching the Zordon era with my girlfriend (her for the first time). I'm now up to Zeo and I feel compelled to open another discussion on this season.

My girlfriend wasn't looking forward to the major changes. She liked MMPR as it was. I assured her though that Zeo would be even better. I was excited to get to Zeo as MMPR had all but run its course by the end. I was also looking forward to seeing Jason again and knew that Rita/Zedd and co. would stick around, which are the charcters she likes the most besides Billy.

I'm about a 3rd into it though (During Tommy's spiritual quest), and so far? Eh. It started off really hot, then cooled considerably. The plots are okay, but they're just filler and not engaging. Dare I say at times I'm bored. MMPR had a lot of filler plots, but MMPR had this campiness about them that made them fun to watch. Zeo takes itself too seriously and tries too hard to be a teen drama. And it just feels dull by comparison. One highlight however was the episode where Adam finds out that Skull is great at classical piano. But even then that episode was saved by the last two scenes. Otherwise it would have been a horribly boring episode.

Tommy is also by far the least interesting character of the team. I have zero interest in his spiritual quest. It astounds me how they made the most complex character of the first season into this bland two dimensional white bread good guy with no interesting qualities. Katherine is a close second as well. Their pairing, while extremely predictable, did nothing for me. I remember as a kid simply assuming Kimberly and Tommy were no more and that Tommy was already with Katherine. It didn't help that Tommy made NO MENTION of Kimberly after she left. Not one "Oh I just got off the phone with Kim." or "Man I really miss Kim." Nothing. It really weakened the pay off of her breaking up with him.

I also recall Rita and Zedd being around throughout the entire season. I haven't seen the show in its entirety since I was a kid, so I was surprised to see them vanish. They were a good source of humor. Even Goldar and Rito, who were supposed to still be on earth are nowhere to be seen for most episodes. They are sorely missed.

I still think it'll get better once the gold ranger appears, as I assume Rita and Zedd reappear around this time as well. But we'll see.

Well anyway, that was my rant. What did YOU think of Zeo? What did you think of Billy not being a ranger anymore (My gf hated it). What did you think of the Tommy/Kat pairing? How does it rank in your mind next to MMPR?

One thing is for certain, it will certainly get worse once they "Shift into Turbo!" At least for the first half...
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:39 AM   #2
jlenoconel
Power Ranger

I liked Zeo just fine. Storylines became more mature because the rangers were older at that point. I must admit that I did appreciate the show getting a kind of mini reboot once the new team arrived for Turbo. The second half of Turbo is a lot more like the original MMPR if that makes you happy.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:44 AM   #3
BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenoconel View Post
I liked Zeo just fine. Storylines became more mature because the rangers were older at that point. I must admit that I did appreciate the show getting a kind of mini reboot once the new team arrived for Turbo. The second half of Turbo is a lot more like the original MMPR if that makes you happy.
I do know about the tone shift in the second half of Turbo and yes I do look forward to that. The source material was supposed to be a light parody of itself and the first half tried too hard to be serious.
Old July 17th, 2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Sevenlima
Power Ranger

How old the actors was in 96 ?
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #5
SgtReed24
Power Ranger

I didn't really like Zeo originally when I watched it as a kid because of the reasons you mentioned above.

The switch to Zeo Powers and weird looking suits, Kim gone, Billy no longer a ranger, a badass looking villain replaced by a walking tin can that didn't even look menacing, etc

I like it a bit better now, but man I really struggled through it as a kid. And then quit watching all together during turbo.
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:17 AM   #6
Zeo-Gold92
True Blue Saiyan

I understand where youre coming from for the most part, I was recently up to another rewatch and in another thread I made the comment that I was really loving Zeo that it hits all the right notes. But as I was going through it further, I started to feel how you ended up, a little bored and it surprised me. The best moments for me was getting to see Jason back as the Zeo Gold ranger, Rocky, Adam and Bulk and Skull developing further etc. I still haven't completed that run through. I still care about the season but I guess my feelings have changed a little to. MMPR is still probably more enjoyable than Zeo is in my eyes, at least the first two seasons. As for Turbo, I surprised myself at loving both halves equally, the last time I watched it.
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #7
Akumaru
Power Ranger

Zeo was pretty cool seaosn, in special the suits, and like of the change between Villans
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #8
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Zeo wasn't as "adventurey" as MMPR before it, but it nails the lather-rinse-repeat of the franchise better than any other season if that's your thing. I especially enjoyed the old battle music instrumentals during Zord fights.
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:45 AM   #9
Akumaru
Power Ranger

The Zeo season well I had to say I liked much of the change of the MMPR to Zeo suits, the New Power CHamber, Billu becamed the techinal and adviser and build some weapons for Zeo Rangers.

See the Rangers take there own ways, and deal with diferent things was cool, and Goldar and Rito becames kind of pets from Bulk and Skulll, the Machine Empire was cool evil villans apart of King Mondo and Gasket/Archerina and Clank and Orbus the others villans dont be bother to care about them.

Gold Ranger Arc was great, since he is mine favorite Ranger in this season with the best suit and Zord, love Pyramidas, and the way some story happens like this time Tommy(Red)Jason(Gold)the same roles but diferent concept from MMPR S1
Old July 17th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

I really loved Zeo. Seeing the Power Rangers reborn was something totally new back then, and it was amazing.
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #11
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

I really liked Zeo. The villains and monsters were awesome!

The low point was the Tommy/Kim breakup. Why?!
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:41 PM   #12
BrownRangerKev
Fan Fiction Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieYaz View Post

I didn't say it was a low point. I just think it was handled poorly. Tommy made no mention of Kimberly up until the Dear John letter, and made it seem as if they weren't even together anymore up until that point.

Then that three parter draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged on for an eternity. Could have easily been a two parter.

EDIT: Oh I misread how you wrote that. Nevermind lol.

Last edited by BrownRangerKev; July 17th, 2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:51 PM   #13
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Because Amy Jo Johnson wasn't on the show anymore.
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #14
Storm Eagle
Sotumu Iguru

Quote:

Not for nothing, but with Kimberly being away, there was a big chance of the relationship ending. I think I remember expecting it to end. It sucks, but it seems to be common. I think I'm going through something similar. It's not a romantic relationship, but it's a friend I really care about that doesn't live close by, but I get to see a few times a year. Despite us being connected on Facebook, I'm dreading the hell out of the possibility that we'll lose touch completely one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownRangerKev View Post
I didn't say it was a low point. I just think it was handled poorly. Tommy made no mention of Kimberly up until the Dear John letter, and made it seem as if they weren't even together anymore up until that point.

Then that three parter draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaged on for an eternity. Could have easily been a two parter.
Sometimes stories end up being longer than intended. It's said that that's what happened with "The Mutiny".
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #15
ShadowJoker
Crimson Comrade

I don't think I've seen all the episodes of Zeo but I've seen a lot of it and quite honestly, it's ho hum to me.

As a child I was so amazed with the Zeo theme song and the opening credits; it really felt like the next level of Power Rangers( Big ups to whoever worked on that song).

It was refreshing to see new suits, weapons and zords but Zeo didn't really leave an impression on me as MMPR, VR Troopers or even Superhuman Samurai did. I wasn't even trying to compare to MMPR but I don't have many memorable moments. Though I did like Rita's remark to Jason when she said he looked better in Red.

Speaking of, one of my favorite moments was during I believe the second episode where Zordon said "The Power Rangers as you know them are gone," or something of that nature. It really felt like huge change swept the show but afterwards I never got that feeling again. The show ended up feeling like MMPR Season 4. I think this is where my interest in the show started wane and Turbo made it worse.

To be quite honest if it wasn't for Power Rangers in Space elevating the style and structure of the show, I probably wouldn't be into Power Rangers today.

The best thing I can say about Zeo is once again that theme song is amazing.
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:24 PM   #16
MMPRpinkninja
Zack 2.0

Personally I don't love the series. I just rewatached it and it still bores me for the most part. I felt the season was so reliant on Billy saving the day and then the gold ranger saving the day. The rangers themselves had very few great individual or team fights. I love that Tommy being bland was brought up. He just had little of the edge and charisma of his MMPR years. Yes his white ranger days could be alittle much but it was better then his Zeo days. He just seemed to lose his cockiness completely. I loved the introduction of Tanya, I felt like she was charismatic and fun to watch. She took her training seriously, had great comedic timing and chemistry with everyone.

Tommy and Katherine. I just don't see how people really ship them so strongly. It felt so one sided. She jumped if he stubbed his toe and he seemed oblivious to her the majority of the time. He didn't even notice that she liked him. Literally everyone else but him picked up on it. It took him until the 2nd to last episode and he had to be told. Plus I hated how she seemed to damsel around him and sorry its true, it gets at its worst during the gold ranger arc. But when you really look at the two of them, they just had very little chemistry, they weren't really enjoyable as a couple or had a natural ease around each other. I don't remember finding myself enjoying myself during their one on one scenes, which oddly enough they had very few of. It was just a very lacking coupling. You don't even have to compare them to Tommy and Kimberly. Zeo had Adam and Tanya who had amazing chemistry and numerous scenes together. Tommy and Katherine just seemed like the show felt a necessity for Tommy to have a girlfriend and to be the "romantic leader".
Old July 17th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #17
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Going into the monsters...

A lot of them were of some very cute, cool, and sometimes very cartoony designs. Somnibot was one, with her big eyes and the pink nightcap on her head. Her power to put people and other robots to sleep was cool (albeit needing some fleshing out), and she has a great singing voice. They cut out the car crashes and deaths from the Ohranger episode, however, as well as her form with the gramophone horns on her head in place of her nightcap.

Another is Defector, the deceptive monster. He was cool! He had a BUILT-IN SWORD and was builyt from old Cog parts so he could analyze their moves and fight them.

And another is Digster! He could have really helped out in construction projects or diversion of lava flows from Hawaiian towns. He could also use his built-in jackhammer as a sword or bludgeon, and his mini-bot friend could aid him in battle.

A more serious one, though, was Main Drain. He nearly drained the megazords to nothingness with his energy vampirism.

Last edited by AngieYaz; July 17th, 2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old July 18th, 2017, 01:58 AM   #18
big smile
Power Ranger

MMPR S3 had perfect pacing. The Rangers would be pitted against some major force or challenge that would nearly finish them and shakes up the status quo (e.g. Evil Kat, losing the pink power coin, the loss of Ninjor, Masterville), but in between they would have a couple of filler episodes to let them catch their breath.

Zeo starts with a bang, but most of its momentum came from wrapping up Alien Rangers. But then after the premier, it just gets stuck doing filler stuff. It's good filler as they have some excellent character episodes, but the Rangers never feel challenged like in Season 3. It's all too easy for them, and it feels a lot like early MMPR. The sense of "What will happen next?" that S3 had is missing.

It's only until the Gold Ranger saga do they actually start getting a challenge and the show picks up the pace that Season 3 had. That's when Zeo becomes awesome.
Old July 18th, 2017, 03:17 AM   #19
Akumaru
Power Ranger

^ The Gold Ranger Arc, really change everything for the Rangers and Villans
Old July 18th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #20
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by big smile View Post
It's only until the Gold Ranger saga do they actually start getting a challenge and the show picks up the pace that Season 3 had. That's when Zeo becomes awesome.
Just so everyone remembers, Rock-a-Bye Power Rangers was an episode that was actually IN this arc.
Closed Thread