RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old January 1st, 2017, 09:35 PM   #21
BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

It was a big thing a year or so ago, but Google is proving incredibly unhelpful...
That'd be Disney destroying the evidence
BlueMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:39 PM   #22
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Blue22 wrote: View Post

I haven't seen enough of new Cass to know how I feel about her but so far I don't really mind what they're doing with her.

I'm still a little iffy on her costume though. I like the similarities to her original Batgirl costume...but I think it'd look a lot better with hood to either go with the....ski mask...or in place of it. And I still think the code name is dumb as hell.
Yeah, why did they call her Orphan when she already had another codename that wasn't Batgirl - Blackbat?

Miraculous Bikkun wrote: View Post

You also can't forget the Fantastic Four outright being cancelled, Marvel Heroes getting into shit for having an F4 event, recent mobile games not having X-Men or F4 characters at all, games that DO have them being edited afterwards to remove or downplay them (the first level of Marvel Puzzle Quest removed a plotline taking place at the Baxter Building), Marvel employees being ordered to remove X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise from their cubicles, recent merchandise removing them from classic covers in favor of MCU characters...

Honestly, if you dont' see it, I don't know what to tell you.
And Avengers Alliance, a game that did have FF and X-Men, getting shut down...
Digifiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:46 PM   #23
BlueMystechRanger
#JusticeForK

Digifiend wrote: View Post

Yeah, why did they call her Orphan when she already had another codename that wasn't Batgirl - Blackbat?
It's her way of honoring her late father. But I still think Blackbat sounds a lot cooler.
BlueMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 09:56 PM   #24
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

Remember when Thor was cancelled and none of the characters showed up for nearly three years?

Compare that to Fantastic Four having Thing in Guardians of the Galaxy and appearances elsewhere, Johnny Storm on three different teams (Uncanny Avengers, Inhuman Council, Bikini Model Judge), Ant-Man and Ms. Thing in a get out of jail adventure, and now Dr. Doom in his own series all after Hickman's giant arc and Secret Wars being a giant Fantastic Four event.
Compare that to X-Men, where even at the height of "Inhumans are taking over Marvel wants to kill off every mutant ever" exaggerated worry, still have more titles than anyone other than Avengers and Star Wars under marvel, and their characters get more appearances than the Bat-family does over in DC comics.

It's never been the "man that's petty" or "they are really removing a lot of Fantastic Four stuff" from other media conversation I've ever had a problem with. Not even a genuine concern over their properties (especially as I'm a fan of both), but a lot of fans for the past 8 years have really gone overboard. Even with no Fantastic Four title (though Ant-Man and Dr. Doom's took over the spot in the schedule), still more showing than New Warriors IP characters and have never been anywhere near the "Marvel hates it so much, they actively want to kill talk of them" like they did with the failure that was The New Universe or licensing trouble that was ROM the Space Knight.

Basically, the whole of this I want to share and for people to remind others out there in the world, still a lot of Fantastic Four and X-Men stuff to enjoy and appreciate. They aren't gone, they aren't dead and buried forever like The Ultraverse (Malibu Comics), and Stan Lee once threw a person's Kermit the Frog figure out a window in New York and so pettiness is not a new thing in the House of Ideas.

Oh and yes I know RangerBoard has mostly been fine with this and not gone overboard, but other sites, less so. Plus I got to make a new thread, so my rant to start it off because it was either that (and a hidden link) or a really obscure joke involving Sheldon from Garfield and Friends and Dr. Strange fighting over the Sanctum Sanctorum naming rights.

There were issues with the name.

McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:16 PM   #25
⚡Titanium321

RedRobin wrote: View Post

Is this true? Holy crap.
That specific story was a hoax or exaggeration I believe. Or a knock at Perlmutter, who seems to actually believe this idea, and not something anyone was actually told to do.

Because when reintroducing her, they redid her origin, and removed any Batgirl stuff from her in the first place. Orphan is a better name in context at least, Black Bat sounds like an old west character.

McAster wrote: View Post

It's never been the "man that's petty" or "they are really removing a lot of Fantastic Four stuff" from other media conversation I've ever had a problem with.
That stuff is reasonable in a way though. The extra media presence is an extension of Marvel Studios and the MCU, even if not directly involved. That stuff wants corporate synergy, it's generally built around that methodology.

The idea the comics were being affected at all though, is and was just ridiculous.

At first glance, I thought that said Black Bolt and was convinced that was some new outfit for him, again.
Titanium321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:28 PM   #26
Quantum Wolf
Confusion & Delay!

Yeah for a moment I was about to lunge at the thread for seeing yet another knock against the X-Men/F4 embargo, and then read further on and laughed at the joke.

But it is rather frustrating to see this in every freaking comic circle. Even worse that now I have to read this on forums and threads for Marvel VS Capcom Infinite.
Quantum Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:43 PM   #27
RedRobin
Schmuck

The first arc of All-Star Batman was entertaining, but it's yet another example of how Snyder's stories doesn't pay off in the end.

I liked the Duke side-story, though.
RedRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 03:17 AM   #28
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

McAster wrote: View Post

That specific comic dates from 2013, so is after Cass was using the name. Also, Dynamite don't own the trademark - their title is about a golden age character that's now in the public domain because the original publisher is defunct and half a century has passed. There should be no obstacle to DC also using the name, especially as it wouldn't be the name of a book.

Titanium's explanation of them just wanting a non-Bat name due to her retconned origin story makes more sense.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 04:40 AM   #29
⚡McAster
I engage in motion

Branding issue, not legal. Batman Inc was 2013 recall, as was potentially her own book (mini). They decided not to continue with Black Bat long before New 52 and Future's End got published.

Last edited by McAster; January 2nd, 2017 at 04:57 AM.
McAster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:41 AM   #30
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Your top ten for the week

1. Dark Knight III: The Master Race #7
2. Civil War II #8
3. All Star Batman #5
4. Justice League Suicide Squad #2
5. Detective Comics #947
6. Star Wars #26
7. Flash #13
8. Wonder Woman #13
9. Titans #6
10. Harley’s Little Black Book #5

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01...from-this-one/
Cameron Samurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 08:46 AM   #31
RedRobin
Schmuck

Has there even been a JL book or event that managed to sell more than a Batman book?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:09 AM   #32
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

To be fair, Batman is in it (and quite prominently too considering his own recent dealings with Waller) - he's in four of the top five books.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 09:11 AM   #33
RedRobin
Schmuck

To be fair, Batman is in it (and quite prominently too considering his own recent dealings with Waller) - he's in four of the top five books.
Yeah, from what I've seen so far from JL vs SS, it might as well be another bat book.
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:25 AM   #34
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

DC Vs Watchmen is on

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01...hmen-for-2017/
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:33 AM   #35
Nyranger
Crazy Mariachi

How butt hurt is Moore gonna be?
Nyranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:43 AM   #36
RedRobin
Schmuck

Nyranger wrote: View Post

How mad will Moore be when Harley Quinn or Batman solo'd the entire Watchmen roster?
Old January 2nd, 2017, 10:44 AM   #37
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Preview for "Mutliplicity", DC's version of Spider-Verse only with Superman

http://www.comicsbeat.com/exclusive-...n-superman-14/

While Spider-Verse had the Inheritors, this event has "The Gatherers", who serve someone called Prophecy
Old January 2nd, 2017, 11:51 AM   #38
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

I look forward to this, if only because the Watchmen characters have to lose. I don't know how they're planning to keep Manhattan from vaporizing everyone instantly, but they've obviously got a plan.
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:00 PM   #39
⚡Lord Buttus
Mod of Destruction

eBay
As much as I'd rather they had just left Watchmen alone...I'm actually kind of excited for this.

I'm the worst kind of fan.
Lord Buttus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2017, 12:19 PM   #40
Allio
Power Ranger

Nyranger wrote: View Post

When isn't Moore Butt hurt
Allio is online now   Reply With Quote