RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old September 13th, 2017, 02:24 PM   #101
RangerSentai
Power Ranger

So this was originally my plan for my review schedule: I noticed that I've been doing this retrospective for almost a year and decided to rush through the last episodes of Season 3 of B:TAS as quickly and efficiently as possible and have the first set of S:TAS on the anniversary of my reviewing.

However... you and I can now see that wasn't meant to be. Why? Well first off the eclipse. I think it had a negative impact on me since I kinda got a small bug during it. Second off, my work schedule. Needless to see my work schedule just drained me severely with a six day work week followed after by the following PAX week of surprising understaffing at my workplace. Finally, a wisdom tooth extraction. Suffice to to say, whilst it was painful... it wasn't as draining as the previous two experiences.

I think this was the worst possible combination for me to be in a reviewing mood so I took a long well-deserved break because of what was happening. So... you can count the marathon of Season 3 of B:TAS as my early anniversary gift and today's review as my late anniversary gift. With all that's said and done, let's finally explore the second Timm style as we go right into...

The Last Son of Krypton: Part 1

~With the proper introduction of the Man of Steel into the DCAU, the Timm style would undergo it’s second look with characters becoming a touch blockier in many males’ cases or more curvaceous in many females’ cases. We also add some more brighter colors to the backgrounds in addition to some more cartoonier expressions and fantastical details to everything involved. In short, Superman had to be introduced with a different style than the Dark Knight when he was first introduced and there was no way he could be presented in the first iteration of the Timm style, thus for better or for worse, it underwent its first evolution.

~The first scene is pretty somewhat symbolic of the new art change with a transition from the amazing dark depths of space to an ice planet with walking eyeballs running away from a space explorer.

~However, despite the somewhat symbolic art transition, we still see that the depths of this ice planet are still covered with darker shades meaning that while things have changed art and theme-wise, they’re still in a slow transition to that true final and definitive style. It’s kind of a nice touch.

~Our space explorer is attacked by… a weird floating blob/slime monster with a tentacle arm. Yup, this is definitely where things got more fantastical for the DCAU.

~And our space explorer makes a somewhat rough escape.

~Brainiac? And he’s working with Jor-El, Superman’s dad? Oh dear, I already kind of see where this is going.

~I assume that in the DCAU the scientists of Krypton initially created Brainiac to help assist storing information but then it evolved beyond its initial programming and refused to terminate it’s programming because it proved too useful by that point.

~Kal-El as a walking infant/toddler? Huh… most iterations of the classic story portray young Supes as a newborn when sent to Earth, so it’s incredibly refreshing to see him a bit older than he’s supposed to be before his home planet’s destruction.

~How does five months on an ice planet support a theory that Krypton is doomed? Or is the ice area just a part of Krypton?

~As it was demonstrated in For the Man Who Has Everything, if Jor-El was wrong about his theory that Krypton was doomed, his entire career would be ruined and would take almost the rest of his life to recover it. In a sense, Kal-El is more like his father than he thinks he is despite him growing up as a farmer in both fantasy and reality.

~Unless Brainiac agrees with Jor-El that Krypton is doomed… yeah, definitely see where this is going.

~I’m… honestly surprised none of the people of Krypton have evacuated the planet already with how much damage the space earthquakes caused already.

~Oh… so that’s why they haven’t evacuated yet… the high council of Krypton are too reliant on one super advanced A.I.’s information approval than just their own natural instincts and the gathered information of their best scientist.

~Why do I get the feeling Brainiac DOES know Krypton is doomed and is just lying to the high council so he can escape the planet himself relatively unharmed?

~Jor-El: “Your faith in him (Brianiac) will be the end of us all! Act now and we can save everyone!” Couldn’t have said it any better than that… but alas, we all know Krypton’s fate.

~Wait what? Jor-El… wants to save all of Krypton… by putting every single citizen… in the freaking Phantom Zone? I know desperate times call for desperate measures, but geez…

~Yeah… I kind of don’t blame the Kryptonian high council for not willingly putting themselves and the rest of Krypton in an extradimensional prison with almost no way out.

~Intimacy can wait, the fate of every one of Krypton is more important right now.

~I feel bad for Jor-El being called out by his wife when we all know he’s right, but he’s being reprimanded by a machine that arguably knows more than he does.

~It’s incredibly easy to see the comparisons between HAL 9000 and Brainiac beyond the voice now with the latter essentially pulling a “I’m sorry, Jor-El. I can’t let you do that.”

~So yeah, Brainiac is saving himself rather than any citizen of Krypton because, according to him, information about a planet is more valuable than any human life of one… which is also the reason he gives Jor-El why he shouldn’t destroy him. If Krypton and Brainiac were both destroyed, nothing would be left of the planet whatsoever.

~Huh… Brainiac’s logic in lying… kinda makes sense: if he did tell the truth about Krypton’s destruction, first thing the high council would have Brainiac focus on would be evacuation plans… however, they would only have mere hours to evacuate and they wouldn’t and couldn’t save everyone that way… In a sense, Brainiac saving himself and no one else… was simultaneously the best and worst solution.

~Jor-El’s solution to Brainiac’s guards… escape and try to at least save his own family.

~Space chase sequence!

~Ah, the ol’ distraction technique. It always works wonders, even on super advanced A.I programs.

~Looks like Jor-El is walking home to warn his family about the impending doom.

~Jor-El’s father-in-law finally agrees that his son-in-law may be right… only for him to come home injured and essentially say to his wife: “Too late. Time for Plan B.”

~Jor-El’s initial plan: put everyone in the Phantom Zone, travel specifically to Earth in a spaceship he built, then come back. However, he can’t do that anymore. He can only save his son now.

~The police are on Jor-El’s toes and they see him escaping… it’s his father-in-law providing a distraction so that Jor-El and Lara can launch the ship safely and without distractions, isn’t it?

~He may have been initially portrayed as kind of a douche, but Jor-El’s father-in-law more than redeemed himself with that distraction maneuver.

~So, Kal-El is now being specifically sent to Earth… Jor-El offers to try and send Lara along, but she elects to stay by her husband’s side on their doomed planet…

~And Brainiac leaves pretty much unceremoniously.

~Jor-El’s father-in-law laments the last space earthquake of Krypton. Kal-El is now sent towards Earth, and after seeing their son is launched off, Jor-El and Lara embrace each other for the final time and take in one last kiss as Krypton is being destroyed beneath them…

~I’m… almost tempted to cry after that destruction sequence…

~Huh… so that’s how the shards of Kryptonite got to Earth along with Kal-El…

The Last Son of Krypton: Part 2

~Last time: Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Coming up, kindly couple. Superman.

~Kal-El’s spaceship still traveling along space… until Earth is seen.

~Huh… so the spaceship didn’t so much crash in Smallville, Kansas, rather it made a somewhat graceful landing and the Kents were the first ones to see it passing by.

~I’m gonna try to hold off my Dawn of Justice jokes/references until I actually review the thing. No promises I’ll keep to this rule.

~Hah… nice subtle little reference to Superman: Red Son there with Jonathan Kent saying Kal-El may have come from Russia.

~Christopher? Shout Out to the first well-known theatric Superman then.

~Nice little transition from the Kents finding young Kal-El to a teenage Clark Kent.

~I honestly don’t know much about Lana Lang other than she’s a potential love interest to Clark in comparison to the more famous Lois Lane.

~Huh… puberty for Clark is him developing his superpowers… that’s… very creative and inventive. I like it.

~Thanks to his puberty powers, Clark knows a car accident is about to happen and tells Lana to call 911.

~Nice rescue sequence there, Clark. A solid 8 out of 10.

~Clark knows he’s different, even before the knowledge that he was adopted… so the Kents finally decide where he was adopted from.

~I… like this idea that Clark learns the truth of where he came truly from as a teenager rather than as a kid. I mean, I know some kids are incredibly smart for their age, but some of them are also incredibly influential. Telling this kind of heavy information to a teenager is better in practice because of the process of puberty going on simultaneously. It’s… almost genius.

~I guess the information disk-thing Lara stored in the ship was DNA-compatible then…

~Ah… so the information being fed into Clark’s brain from the disk-thing also doubles as an advanced technological hologram from Jor-El and Lara explaining everything to their son. I think.

~Well, Clark took that revelation relatively well for a teenager.

~After an extended running long jump over a wide gap, Clark marvels at his feat and does so again… discovering that he can fly, much to his and adoptive parents’ amazement.

~Sometime later, Metropolis is slowly but surely being introduced to Superman.

~Ah Lois Lane, snarky and hardworking as always, I see.

~Clark Kent meets Lois Lane. Hilarity ensues presumably.

~Clark’s first job on the Daily Planet is an interview with Lex Luthor alongside Lois Lane? Man, talk about your productive first days.

~Jimmy Olson is also a character, not just a plot device, writers.

~I see that Angela is going to be our Summer Gleeson for S:TAS.

~Lex made a giant defense robot somewhat similar to the Iron Man suits. Definite foreshadowing here folks.

~You know trouble is about to happen whenever Clark inadvertently uses his super senses.

~This looks like a job for Superman.

~And it’s almost practically love at first sight once Lois first sees the Man of Tomorrow in person saving her from falling debris.

~I guess Supes isn’t used to shrugging off bullets just yet given his reaction to them.

~Yeah, you can definitely tell Supes is new to this hero game when he can easily dodge a heat-seeking missile… only for it to hit a nearby airplane’s left wing instead. Oops.

The Last Son of Krypton: Part 3

~Last time: Clark Kent of Smallville, Kansas found out he’s really Kal-El of the now dead planet Krypton after going through puberty. Discovering this might not totally be a bad thing, he decides to become a superhero in his adult years… and is having a rough first day on the job. Coming up, Superman’s first day problems will be fixed and he possibly confronts his arch-nemesis for the first time in person.

~Good effort on Superman’s part to try and pull the crashing plane up by its tail. Bad execution, due to the fact he’s still relatively new to all this and just breaks part of the tail off instead of slowing down/lifting the plane.

~So if stopping the plane from the back doesn’t work, the next logical step would be to stop it from the front… and it looks like it’s mostly working.

~Oh, Superman just had to hold the plane Atlas-style for maximum efficiency. Makes sense since he kinda is a demi-god, after all.

~Whoever put that mime gag in the end of that crash sequence, you deserve an award.

~I… don’t blame Superman sticking around for too long. I mean, he did kinda cause that plane crash after all…

~After watching some film footage of the incident, Perry White asks three of his prominent staff members who’s the new hero in town.

~No… the Man of Steel movie reference is too easy…

~Lois comparing and naming Superman to Friedrich Nietzsche’s philosophies… after her brief compliment of the Man of Steel’s symbol… I… honestly didn’t think I wouldn’t reference his video until I actually reviewed Man of Steel, but check out Kyle Kallgren’s video detailing Superman’s connection to Nietzsche in greater detail.

~I wonder if Bruce also had to deal with the press gunning down on who he was when he started out as Batman.

~Okay, so before he moved to Metropolis, Clark did some low profile and small scale superheroics in Smallville. That makes way too much sense in hindsight.

~With the encouragement of his adoptive parents, Clark decides to let the world know more about Superman in comparison to Batman who prefers his profile be kept relatively low.

~And there’s the confirmation that there is a branch of S.T.A.R. Labs for both Metropolis and Gotham.

~I kind of expected Superman to be on top of Lois’s car, not under it.

~This exclusive interview is going smoothly.

~Los Lane already immediately knows that Superman has a secret identity.

~Later on, Lex Luthor is amused about an alien living nearby, but less amused about losing an expensive battle suit.

~Huh… Clark surmises that Lex is bound to make more profit from his suit’s loss with the government asking him to make one that’s improved in every way. In a sense, Lex Luthor is more Obadiah Stane than he is Tony Stark.

~Lois Lane dated Lex Luthor at one point? Geez, that puts the funeral sequence in Hereafter in a new light then…

~Lex intentionally got his battle suit stolen in public for long-term profit? That’s… kinda genius in a sense.

~Kaznia? The same Kaznia brought up later on in Justice League like in the Maid of Honor two-parter? Holy cow… DCAU, you keep on impressing with almost every episode.

~Kaznian royalty really needs to step up their game on how their country is viewed to the world.

~Oh hi… not Popeye!

~So… Lois’s informant is knockoff Popeye, and she tells him to call Clark Kent to tell him to call not Commissioner Gordon if Lois doesn’t contact Clark in 20 minutes… This is the most confusing version of the telephone game I’ve ever seen.

~Yeah… I don’t blame not Popeye for not understanding Lois’s rapid-fire explanation and just going to use the small change she gave him to buy a Coke.

~Yup, these sailors are definitely Kaznian with that one guy’s accent sounding similar to Audrey’s.

~The Kaznian ship captain is John Corben? Oh dear…

~Well Lois’s investigation proved to be more informative and dangerous than she thought it was.

~Instead of getting a phone call from not Popeye, Clark figures out that Lois is in trouble from her absence and where she is from an old photo Jimmy took.

~So… no one noticed Superman flying out of a Daily Planet office building in broad daylight then?

~Ah the power of plot timing! It almost never fails.

~I greatly respect that Superman’s early heat vision is not heat rays coming from his eyes, but it’s just his eyes glowing red and the object he sees superheating up.

~Shooting Superman not working? Try shooting at stuff around him to make debris. Sure, he may brush it off, but at least it provides a decent distraction.

~Corben decides to see if Lex’s battle suit has a chance against the Man of Steel.

~Hey Lois actually knocked out a nameless mook!

~Gotta admit, Lex knows what he’s doing with the tech he makes if this suit can stagger the Man of Steel via sneak attack.

~After a brief rescue, this time Clark as Superman tells Lois to call the police.

~I never realized that the DCAU would inadvertently predict Marvel’s Civil War with a fight scene involving a symbol of America and a man in an advanced battle suit.

~Yup, Supes is definitely new to big-time heroics with him unintentionally getting the mech suit out into a more open battleground within Metropolis.

~Using an oil truck for both offense and defense doesn’t seem like a stupid move now, does it, Corben?

~The mech suit didn’t take a dent after that explosion? What is that thing even made of?

~I’ll admit, it was a good effort on Corben’s part to have the suit do a simple beatdown on Superman into a nearby car, crush him, throw him into the nearby now wrecked building in construction, shoot a missile at him and the construction causing it to collapse on top on Superman, and then proceed to set it all on fire.

~Of course because Corben has to check to see if Supes really perished, Supes proceeds to launch the suit up into the air under the debris.

~Yeah, I really don’t blame Supes for breaking apart the battle suit’s arms now after what he just went through with them.

~Classy finishing blow, Supes.

~Yeah, Corben knows he doesn’t stand a snowball’s chance against Supes without the suit.

~Lex is not happy because of profit loss.

~Ooh, first face-to-face conversation with Superman and Lex Luthor. This should be good.

~And thus the fateful rivalry between Lex Luthor and Superman began after that mostly one-sided confrontation conversation.

~Meanwhile… in space, some aliens pick up a droid with a very familiar symbol on it… that proceeds to kill them all and hijack their ship. Brainiac is back.

Last edited by RangerSentai; September 13th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
RangerSentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #102
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSentai View Post

~With the proper introduction of the Man of Steel into the DCAU, the Timm style would undergo it’s second look with characters becoming a touch blockier in many males’ cases or more curvaceous in many females’ cases. We also add some more brighter colors to the backgrounds in addition to some more cartoonier expressions and fantastical details to everything involved. In short, Superman had to be introduced with a different style than the Dark Knight when he was first introduced and there was no way he could be presented in the first iteration of the Timm style, thus for better or for worse, it underwent its first evolution.
And seemed to define the "Timm style", as I never seem to hear anyone long for the old days.

Which almost never happens in nerd circles.

Quote:
Wait what? Jor-El… wants to save all of Krypton… by putting every single citizen… in the freaking Phantom Zone? I know desperate times call for desperate measures, but geez…
Harsh environment versus exploding?

Yeah, I pick harsh environment.

Quote:
So yeah, Brainiac is saving himself rather than any citizen of Krypton because, according to him, information about a planet is more valuable than any human life of one… which is also the reason he gives Jor-El why he shouldn’t destroy him. If Krypton and Brainiac were both destroyed, nothing would be left of the planet whatsoever.
Kryptonite would be left.

Science denotes there's always some trace of what fails to survive the ages.

Quote:
Huh… Brainiac’s logic in lying… kinda makes sense: if he did tell the truth about Krypton’s destruction, first thing the high council would have Brainiac focus on would be evacuation plans… however, they would only have mere hours to evacuate and they wouldn’t and couldn’t save everyone that way… In a sense, Brainiac saving himself and no one else… was simultaneously the best and worst solution.
Lots of people would have died either way, but there's no logic in inaction. It's just selfish and lazy.

Quote:

~Clark’s first job on the Daily Planet is an interview with Lex Luthor alongside Lois Lane? Man, talk about your productive first days.
Is there ANY continuity in which Clark Kent's journalism is legitimized? Everything I've ever seen just has him suddenly thrust himself into a career path it takes even the most dedicated years to break into, let alone one of the largest publications in the country.

Quote:
And it’s almost practically love at first sight once Lois first sees the Man of Tomorrow in person saving her from falling debris.
Why not? Dude's the beefiest beefcake of all time.

Quote:

I wonder if Bruce also had to deal with the press gunning down on who he was when he started out as Batman.
Literally the first thing anyone ever asks about a superhero is who they are.

Quote:
With the encouragement of his adoptive parents, Clark decides to let the world know more about Superman in comparison to Batman who prefers his profile be kept relatively low.
Because hope means you can't hide.

Quote:
Huh… Clark surmises that Lex is bound to make more profit from his suit’s loss with the government asking him to make one that’s improved in every way. In a sense, Lex Luthor is more Obadiah Stane than he is Tony Stark.
The bald head gave it away immediately.

Quote:
Kaznia? The same Kaznia brought up later on in Justice League like in the Maid of Honor two-parter? Holy cow… DCAU, you keep on impressing with almost every episode.
Gotta keep your made-up countries straight.

Quote:
So… no one noticed Superman flying out of a Daily Planet office building in broad daylight then?
Well, he did just have that interview not too long ago... I'm sure it's no conclusion to jump to.

Quote:
Gotta admit, Lex knows what he’s doing with the tech he makes if this suit can stagger the Man of Steel via sneak attack.
This version is most certainly NOT Silver Age.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 01:59 PM   #103
RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Fun and Games

~A daylight robbery? What new spore of madness is this?!? In all due seriousness though, this is a nice immediate comparison to B:TAS’s environment with the brighter background and environment right off the bat.

~Another comparison to B:TAS: when Superman is out on patrol, he does it in broad daylight flying over the city rather than just sneak around like a ninja.

~The warehouse district? Seriously? Are like half of them abandoned to give the excuse that no major damage was caused to Metropolis?

~While our robbers are celebrating their stolen spoils, we get the first appearance of Toyman… and man, does he make a really good first impression: creepy, dark, unnerving, and someone who you should never underestimate as he uses a simple bouncy ball to threaten and intimidate our robbers.

~Luckily, Superman hear our robbers’ voices as they beg to be saved from death via bouncy ball.

~I… honestly didn’t realize how much Supes got so easily smacked around in the DCAU until now… of course, he “catches” the deadly bouncy ball quickly enough… and proceeds to take our robbers to the proper authorities.

~Why do I get the feeling this Bruno Manheim guy is just going to be small potatoes for what I know is about to come?

~Did… Lois Lane just ask Jimmy Olson out on a date, more specifically a picnic in the park?

~Oh, never mind. Manheim is at the park pulling a Roland Daggett of sorts. Lois probably wants an interview with him with Clark already there.

~Sure enough, Lois wants an interview with Manheim… but not before Toyman pulls a Joker with armed toy airplanes.

~I… kinda like this bit about Clark’s early character: his naiveté. He knows he can save almost anyone as Superman, but he has a hard time remembering that he can’t also do that if he wants to keep being Clark Kent which is why Lois immediately pulls him out of the gunfire as soon as he tries to go after Manheim.

~Oh now Superman has the heat rays? I expected at least a few more episodes for that to show up. Oh well.

~A guy who uses toys as weapons who has very serious issues… Or more specifically, and I quote, “An emotionally stunted, amoral narcissist with paranoid delusions desperately seeking external validation through antisocial behavior.” Why does that sound so familiar?

~At least Manheim seems genuine about his cause for kids?

~That is one giant rubber duck. Penguin would be so jealous of Toyman right now.

~Jeez, I didn’t realize how dangerous Toyman was until I saw this in action.

~Superman fights off a giant robotic rubber duck. Did I mention that I love the DCAU because of absurd moments like these?

~Of course the giant robotic rubber duck would have missiles, why wouldn’t it? I mean it’s part of the complete set, you know?

~Man, Joker really needs to visit Metropolis sooner if he wants to crazy weaponize his stuff like Toyman does. I mean, a bubble blower that produces knockout gas? That’s ingenious!

~Meanwhile, Superman defeats the giant robotic rubber duck by just doing what most kids do with most out of control toys: break it apart… but Toyman gets away with Manheim.

~Elsewhere, Lois Lane is trying to have a relaxing evening… but instead she gets knocked out by a magical girl doll’s magic wand containing sleeping dust.

~I’m guessing Toyman kidnapped Lois and dressed her up as a walking doll because of her article revolving around her then.

~Jimmy Olson showing of his tech expertise that he would have an insane amount of in All-Star Superman.

~Okay, it’s just as I thought: Toyman did kidnap Lois because of her article and now she’s getting the truth from Toyman himself. Still doesn’t explain him dressing her up as a doll though.

~I love the back-and-forth exposition on Toyman’s backstory from Toyman’s colorful pop-up storybook perspective to the black and white Daily Planet article that Clark and Jimmy found.

~Geez… Toyman’s backstory sounds more Mary Dahl’s except Toyman is more justified in regaining lost childhood while Mary wants to relive it as a T.V. fantasy at all costs.

~And now Toyman is adding in some of Jervis Tetch’s fantastical motifs to execute Manheim.

~Of course, Lois doesn’t want a revenge scheme to be continuously perpetuating so she decides to stop the marching squad of toy soldiers before Toyman asks them to fire by knocking all of them over like dominoes.

~Man, I forgot how many good one-liners there were in the DCAU.

~I can’t help but notice that the deadly Dopey Doh that’s holding Superman back is green and green Kryptonite hasn’t been formally introduced yet. Foreshadowing much?

~They best way to get rid of killer Flubber: doing an extended Wonder Woman twirl.

~Toyman ends playtime on his own terms: by dropping what looks to be over a hundred toy bombs in the warehouse and detonating them while he escapes. Well, at least he ends his fun with a bang.

~Superman flies off from the toyhouse of doom with Lois and Manheim.

~The fun’s not over with Toyman just yet…

A Little Piece of Home

~Lex playing humanitarian. Must have a hidden agenda like last time.

~Hey, I see Mercy Graves standing behind Lex as he’s making his speech. True, she hasn’t been named yet, but still… love the minor detail there.

~Unsurprisingly, when Lex says his museum is well-protected, we see it being broken into and Clark detecting it with his super senses.

~Huh… I didn’t know that Clark already knew ninja tricks before he met Bruce.

~Nice to see smart and dumb nameless henchmen work off of each other at times.

~Ah, so instead of just flying into the museum like he would probably do in his later days, Superman opts to go into the sewer system and track down the criminals where they snuck in from.

~Superman no sells the first two assaults from the nameless criminals but almost as soon as he stands near a certain glowing rock… he feels fatigued… and the nameless criminals swiftly escape.

~It’s not every day you see a weakened superhero somewhat limp out of the entrance on grand opening of a new building speaking like William Shatner.

~Mercy Graves doesn’t want paparazzi entering the broken in museum.

~Lex is angry about Superman not catching the thieves while Lois is more concerned about his current condition.

~One video playback footage later… Lex discovers the Man of Steel’s Achilles heel.

~Museum exposition on ancient Babylonian kitchenware is eerily accurate to Clark’s weakness to his home planet’s debris.

~Wuh-oh, Lex found out quick and took the genuine articles and replaced them with replicas for the museum…

~So instead of using Kryptonite as a power source as he sort of would later on, Lex decides to use it as his best weapon against Superman. Makes sense since he probably doesn’t need to profit off of the stuff now since he’s already playing humanitarian and is already obscenely wealthy, but in the long run… we know that’ll definitely bite him back hard.

~Playing paper basketball helps Lois Lane think about Superman’s previous blunder? Whatever works, I guess.

~Before Clark can come up with an excuse for his disappearing act, Lois gets a call from the scientist who was analyzing the Kryptonite for Lex.

~Man, Mercy makes a good first episode impression and she hasn’t even been freaking named yet.

~Lex wants to hire someone to get caught for him? That’s… actually crazy brilliant. Have the guy act as a Guinea pig by having him carry some Kryptonite to truly see if it weakens Superman. If it works, Lex gets a profit and if it doesn’t, Lex gets valuable information. It’s practically a win-win for Luthor.

~I freaking love this diner scene demonstrating how effective Superman is by saving a falling waitress as Clark Kent but almost immediately gets super ill and fatigued when Lois comes in with just a small sliver of kryptonite.

~Ah the ol’ rooftop deal robbery. Done usually at night, but I’m sure it’s all part of Lex’s plan to get it done in broad daylight.

~Of course the robbers would have jetpacks to make their escape. I mean, their funder is Lex, right?

~Nice save and throw of that burning helicopter into the nearest large body of water Supes!

~I really respect the jazz music that’s playing whilst Superman is catching out flying robbers.

~Not really much to say about this sequence of Superman catching the robbers one-by-one other than it’s really good and entertaining.

~Superman’s naiveté comes into play once again as he walks into an incredibly obvious trap.

~Of course, the leader of our criminals is also just as naïve and wants to knock Superman off a tall building instead of letting him stay near the Kryptonite giving the Man of Steel the perfect opening for a counterattack.

~And Mercy has finally been named! Well, as least her first name…

~Hey not Popeye’s back!

~Hamilton now has Kryptonite? As in Professor Hamilton from Cadmus later on? That explains so much.

~Yeah… kinda hard to keep secrets when you have a superhero with super senses flying nearby your home office.

~One confrontation later and Lex decides if he can’t control Superman with Kryptonite, he’ll just kill the Man of Steel with it. As you do.

~Ho boy… I was expecting to do my first art comparison with the first Timm style compared to the second and not the second compared to the third… but I kind of have to now that I’m seeing Professor Hamilton’s first appearance in the DCAU…
S:TAS Hamilton
Justice League Unlimited Hamilton
I’ll get into more details on why I think the third Timm style is the best once Beyond is in my viewing range.

~And Kryptonite has finally been named!

~Huh… so as long as Kryptonite is shielded by lead or Superman is protected by lead, he’s unaffected by it. Well, both are definitely gonna be problems since a. I’m pretty sure Supes’s X-ray vison can’t see through lead and b. Superman can pretty much break lead like tinfoil. Ergo, while lead is helpful for protecting Superman for Kryptonite, it’s simultaneously a hindrance.

~Oh snap, Lex found out who Lois’s scientist mole is and is about to set up yet another trap for the Man of Steel.

~Did… Lex just ask Mercy to essentially “cut off ties” with the scientist mole?

~X-ray vision: useful for checking out security and/or most traps.

~*insert Jurassic Park theme here*

~The climax of this episode is Superman defending himself and Lois Lane from a robotic T-rex whilst being slowly weakened by Kryptonite. Did I mention I freaking love the DCAU?

~Hey the museum exposition on Babylonian kitchenware was not only ominous foreshadowing, but a plot point for where Superman can find some lead to cover the Kryptonite!

~The paper basketball was also a freaking plot point?!? Mind. Blown.

~It makes some amount of sense that Superman would not immediately be fully recovered from the Kryptonite and have the robotic T-rex smack him down onto Mammoth Graveyard.

~And Superman essentially pulls off a classier victory with Mammoth Graveyard than Yugi did with Kaiba.

~An exclusive interview is equal repayment for saving a demigod’s life? I guess a date isn’t in question this early in the series then…

~Meanwhile, Lex has hired some archaeologists to mine him some more of his precious green gold…
Old September 21st, 2017, 03:06 PM   #104
Dragonwolf Ranger
Waterbending Master

I always liked the first episode with Kryptonite. Forgot it was Hamilton's debut. After the Cadmus stuff, I liked to think STAR Labs forced him to resign due to bad press, which he deserved for being an ass there.
Dragonwolf Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 10:05 PM   #105
Slowpokeking
Power Ranger

I really hate the Batgod and making Superman a punchbag.
Slowpokeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:52 PM   #106
Ankh Primo

Quote:
Fun and Games

~Another comparison to B:TAS: when Superman is out on patrol, he does it in broad daylight flying over the city rather than just sneak around like a ninja.
Mainly because Superman is really bad at stealth.

Quote:
I… honestly didn’t realize how much Supes got so easily smacked around in the DCAU until now… of course, he “catches” the deadly bouncy ball quickly enough… and proceeds to take our robbers to the proper authorities.
This version is most certainly NOT Silver Age.

Quote:
A guy who uses toys as weapons who has very serious issues… Or more specifically, and I quote, “An emotionally stunted, amoral narcissist with paranoid delusions desperately seeking external validation through antisocial behavior.” Why does that sound so familiar?
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120415070002
Actually, Joker's Metropolis counterpart is most closely the Prankster, but Toyman is close.

Quote:
Okay, it’s just as I thought: Toyman did kidnap Lois because of her article and now she’s getting the truth from Toyman himself. Still doesn’t explain him dressing her up as a doll though.
"It certainly wasn't a sex thing, if that's what you're asking.

...You weren't asking that? >__>"

Quote:
Man, I forgot how many good one-liners there were in the DCAU.
How? The entire DCAU is almost all one-liners.

Quote:
A Little Piece of Home

~Playing paper basketball helps Lois Lane think about Superman’s previous blunder? Whatever works, I guess.
Sometimes getting your mind off a problem is what allows it to solve the problem.

Quote:
Man, Mercy makes a good first episode impression and she hasn’t even been freaking named yet.
Easy to do when that's the plan.

Quote:
Of course the robbers would have jetpacks to make their escape. I mean, their funder is Lex, right?
Nah, jetpacks are just common at this point. Metropolis is the city of the future, after all.

Quote:
Superman’s naiveté comes into play once again as he walks into an incredibly obvious trap.
That's was actually less naive and more just arrogant.

Quote:
Huh… so as long as Kryptonite is shielded by lead or Superman is protected by lead, he’s unaffected by it. Well, both are definitely gonna be problems since a. I’m pretty sure Supes’s X-ray vison can’t see through lead and b. Superman can pretty much break lead like tinfoil. Ergo, while lead is helpful for protecting Superman for Kryptonite, it’s simultaneously a hindrance.
Which is the whole point. The power of the alien being and the power of the alien planet both can't radiate through it.

Quote:
The climax of this episode is Superman defending himself and Lois Lane from a robotic T-rex whilst being slowly weakened by Kryptonite. Did I mention I freaking love the DCAU?
So THAT'S where Doug Sloan got the idea for Dr. O's first problem.

Quote:
And Superman essentially pulls off a classier victory with Mammoth Graveyard than Yugi did with Kaiba.
To be fair, Yugi lost that duel with Kaiba.

Quote:
An exclusive interview is equal repayment for saving a demigod’s life? I guess a date isn’t in question this early in the series then…
That's sexual harassment.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:16 AM   #107
Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

Quote:
~It makes some amount of sense that Superman would not immediately be fully recovered from the Kryptonite and have the robotic T-rex smack him down onto Mammoth Graveyard.
Oddly enough, he recovered faster then he did from the first trap, even though he was out in the open right after the first time, with plenty of sunlight to recharge him. There wasn't quite as much as that inside the museum.
Bluecatcinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 11:31 AM   #108
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
for the record, "not-Popeye"'s real name is Bibbo Bibbowski- the second biggest Superman fanboy after Jimmy Olsen.
Arkvoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2017, 01:18 PM   #109
Dragonwolf Ranger
Waterbending Master

Kinda think outside his good voice, they didn't do too well with Bibbo.
Old September 24th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #110
tasti man LH
Believe a Man can Fly

Quote:

~Our space explorer is attacked by… a weird floating blob/slime monster with a tentacle arm. Yup, this is definitely where things got more fantastical for the DCAU.
Ah, good to know Timm's weird fascination with tentacle monsters

~Brainiac? And he’s working with Jor-El, Superman’s dad? Oh dear, I already kind of see where this is going.

Quote:
~I assume that in the DCAU the scientists of Krypton initially created Brainiac to help assist storing information but then it evolved beyond its initial programming and refused to terminate it’s programming because it proved too useful by that point.
Yeah, just letting a self-sufficient AI that's developed beyond its' programming do whatever it wants. Surely NOTHING BAD EVER will come of this.

Quote:
~How does five months on an ice planet support a theory that Krypton is doomed? Or is the ice area just a part of Krypton?
Global cooling as opposed to global warming?

Quote:
~I’m… honestly surprised none of the people of Krypton have evacuated the planet already with how much damage the space earthquakes caused already.

~Oh… so that’s why they haven’t evacuated yet… the high council of Krypton are too reliant on one super advanced A.I.’s information approval than just their own natural instincts and the gathered information of their best scientist.
"They're just earthquakes! There's no way the Earth is going to blow up!!!"

Quote:
~Why do I get the feeling Brainiac DOES know Krypton is doomed and is just lying to the high council so he can escape the planet himself relatively unharmed?

~Jor-El: “Your faith in him (Brianiac) will be the end of us all! Act now and we can save everyone!” Couldn’t have said it any better than that… but alas, we all know Krypton’s fate.
EVIL AI. WHO'DA THUNK?

Quote:
~Wait what? Jor-El… wants to save all of Krypton… by putting every single citizen… in the freaking Phantom Zone? I know desperate times call for desperate measures, but geez…
Because...uhm...there's only so much space in the universe...so that would naturally only leave...other dimensions?

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Quote:
~Ah, the ol’ distraction technique. It always works wonders, even on super advanced A.I programs.
Well, logically driven entities do have a hard time predicting the unexpected...

Quote:

~Last time: Doomed planet. Desperate scientists. Last hope. Coming up, kindly couple. Superman.
We need something a bit more chipper after the downer last episode.

Quote:
~Huh… so the spaceship didn’t so much crash in Smallville, Kansas, rather it made a somewhat graceful landing and the Kents were the first ones to see it passing by.
Which makes sense.

Who designs a spaceship whose only method of landing is to crash into the ground?

Well...unless if the ship is designed to look like a meteor...

Quote:
~Hah… nice subtle little reference to Superman: Red Son there with Jonathan Kent saying Kal-El may have come from Russia.
Or a reference to the DCAU's weird alt-50's setting, especially since that was the time period where the Cold War was at its' peak.
Quote:
~I honestly don’t know much about Lana Lang other than she’s a potential love interest to Clark in comparison to the more famous Lois Lane.
Aside from her being the "Girl Next Door" type to Clark...that's about it.

Quote:
~Ah… so the information being fed into Clark’s brain from the disk-thing also doubles as an advanced technological hologram from Jor-El and Lara explaining everything to their son. I think.
And probably the Kryptonian version of the Cosmos TV show. Which if past experience shows, would be just as weird as that sounds...

Quote:
~After an extended running long jump over a wide gap, Clark marvels at his feat and does so again… discovering that he can fly, much to his and adoptive parents’ amazement.
Reference to Golden Age Supes...?

Quote:
~Ah Lois Lane, snarky and hardworking as always, I see.
I wouldn't expect any less from the Pulitzer-Prize-winning Lois Lane.

Quote:
Well at least Clark/Supes really can claim that he knows how Lex thinks inside and out.

Quote:
~Lex made a giant defense robot somewhat similar to the Iron Man suits. Definite foreshadowing here folks.
Well what do you expect from the inventor, billionaire, playboy philanthropist that he is.

Quote:
~This looks like a job for Superman.
"Are we sure we can't just call up Batman? It's not like he's doing anything important right now..."

Quote:
~And it’s almost practically love at first sight once Lois first sees the Man of Tomorrow in person saving her from falling debris.
Not quite as dramatic as being in a helicopter accident, but whatever works.

Quote:
~I guess Supes isn’t used to shrugging off bullets just yet given his reaction to them.
Well even if he does have the bullet-proof skin that prevents his skin from getting pierced...there's still a heck of a lot of force behind said bullets. Shit hurts.

Quote:
~Yeah, you can definitely tell Supes is new to this hero game when he can easily dodge a heat-seeking missile… only for it to hit a nearby airplane’s left wing instead. Oops.
...and people are still giving him crap for his actions in MoS?

Quote:

~So if stopping the plane from the back doesn’t work, the next logical step would be to stop it from the front… and it looks like it’s mostly working.
Good thing he pins it down now, since single-handedly saving jetliners is something he's going to be doing A LOT of.

Quote:
~I… don’t blame Superman sticking around for too long. I mean, he did kinda cause that plane crash after all…
And, you know, he hasn't been accepted yet as the symbol of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

Quote:
~I wonder if Bruce also had to deal with the press gunning down on who he was when he started out as Batman.
Probably not as bad as a certain salt-and-pepper, cigar chomping editor from That-Other-Comics-Universe, but the sentiment was probably the same.

Quote:
~Okay, so before he moved to Metropolis, Clark did some low profile and small scale superheroics in Smallville. That makes way too much sense in hindsight.
Makes sense.

He'd have to practice superheroics SOMEWHERE.

Quote:
~And there’s the confirmation that there is a branch of S.T.A.R. Labs for both Metropolis and Gotham.
It'd be weird for a multinational hypertech research firm like it not to be.

Quote:
~I kind of expected Superman to be on top of Lois’s car, not under it.
THAT'S WHAT SHE SA-

*claps hand over mouth*

Quote:
~Los Lane already immediately knows that Superman has a secret identity.
Again, Pulitzer-Prize-Winning reporter.
Quote:
~Lois Lane dated Lex Luthor at one point? Geez, that puts the funeral sequence in Hereafter in a new light then…
Man, that would have to make every high class gathering in Metropolis that Lois would have to attend REALLY awkward.
Quote:
~Kaznia? The same Kaznia brought up later on in Justice League like in the Maid of Honor two-parter? Holy cow… DCAU, you keep on impressing with almost every episode.
Connected shared universe in non-comics format: setting the stage long before Marvel Studios.

Quote:
~Well Lois’s investigation proved to be more informative and dangerous than she thought it was.
So...EVERY investigation that she'll ever participate in?

Quote:
~So… no one noticed Superman flying out of a Daily Planet office building in broad daylight then?
Considering no one ever looks up, guess not.

Either that or a homage to the 1978 movie.

Quote:
~I greatly respect that Superman’s early heat vision is not heat rays coming from his eyes, but it’s just his eyes glowing red and the object he sees superheating up.
And presumably later on figured out how to make them more straightforward lasers.

Quote:
~Gotta admit, Lex knows what he’s doing with the tech he makes if this suit can stagger the Man of Steel via sneak attack.
Or because of Supes' inexperience, and still hasn't figured out how to shrug off surprise attacks. Take your pick.

Quote:
~I never realized that the DCAU would inadvertently predict Marvel’s Civil War with a fight scene involving a symbol of America and a man in an advanced battle suit.
Yeah, well, as you and I have started to figure out, looks like Marvel grabbed a LOT of things from the DCAU to use for themselves...
Quote:
~Yup, Supes is definitely new to big-time heroics with him unintentionally getting the mech suit out into a more open battleground within Metropolis.
Took him 3 episodes while for Luke Cage it took 13 episodes...

Quote:
~The mech suit didn’t take a dent after that explosion? What is that thing even made of?
You know now that you bring it up:

DOES the DCU have their own equivalent to adamantium or vibranium?
Quote:
~And thus the fateful rivalry between Lex Luthor and Superman began after that mostly one-sided confrontation conversation.
Little did Supes know that he's going to be keeping an eye on Lex...for a VERY long time.

Quote:
Fun and Games
Considering Supes' powers I would also think this is a far more effective method of patrolling then Bats' method.

Quote:
~The warehouse district? Seriously? Are like half of them abandoned to give the excuse that no major damage was caused to Metropolis?
Well yeah. It's a superhero story. Of COURSE we need places where our heroes and villain can fight without expensive collateral damage on places the civilians don't care about.

Quote:
~While our robbers are celebrating their stolen spoils, we get the first appearance of Toyman… and man, does he make a really good first impression: creepy, dark, unnerving, and someone who you should never underestimate as he uses a simple bouncy ball to threaten and intimidate our robbers.
Scarface and Ventriloquist, eat your heart out.

Quote:
~Did… Lois Lane just ask Jimmy Olson out on a date, more specifically a picnic in the park?
It's certainly a very romantic gesture.

Especially since I'd have to imagine picnics as a regular thing would be on the way out to viewers of the 90's.

Quote:
~I… kinda like this bit about Clark’s early character: his naiveté. He knows he can save almost anyone as Superman, but he has a hard time remembering that he can’t also do that if he wants to keep being Clark Kent which is why Lois immediately pulls him out of the gunfire as soon as he tries to go after Manheim.
Bit of a reversal since for this kind of thing heroes will try to do on-the-sly superheroics

~Oh now Superman has the heat rays? I expected at least a few more episodes for that to show up. Oh well.

Quote:
~A guy who uses toys as weapons who has very serious issues… Or more specifically, and I quote, “An emotionally stunted, amoral narcissist with paranoid delusions desperately seeking external validation through antisocial behavior.” Why does that sound so familiar?
Then again, perversion of simple, childish pleasures that would bring joy to kids tends to be a popular theme for villains to take on.

Quote:
~Superman fights off a giant robotic rubber duck. Did I mention that I love the DCAU because of absurd moments like these?
It wouldn't be if it wasn't...

Especially considering later on we would get a secret city of intelligent apes and pastiches of Golden Age heroes complete with outdated socio-political values

Quote:
~Man, Joker really needs to visit Metropolis sooner if he wants to crazy weaponize his stuff like Toyman does. I mean, a bubble blower that produces knockout gas? That’s ingenious!
Either that or Joker and Toyman share the same weapons supplier.

Quote:
~I’m guessing Toyman kidnapped Lois and dressed her up as a walking doll because of her article revolving around her then.
Quote:
~And now Toyman is adding in some of Jervis Tetch’s fantastical motifs to execute Manheim.
So we've jumped from Toyman's stealing Joker's shtick...to him stealing Mad Hatter's shtick. Sounds about right.

Quote:
~Okay, it’s just as I thought: Toyman did kidnap Lois because of her article and now she’s getting the truth from Toyman himself. Still doesn’t explain him dressing her up as a doll though.
Same reason I imagine Big Barda was in a battle bikini for no reason.

Quote:
~Man, I forgot how many good one-liners there were in the DCAU.
Someone had to hold the line before J'onn was introduced...

Quote:
~I can’t help but notice that the deadly Dopey Doh that’s holding Superman back is green and green Kryptonite hasn’t been formally introduced yet. Foreshadowing much?
...kryptonite notPlay-Doh, now THERE'S an idea.
Quote:
A Little Piece of Home

~Hey, I see Mercy Graves standing behind Lex as he’s making his speech. True, she hasn’t been named yet, but still… love the minor detail there.
Sorta like how when Harley Quinn was first introduced, she was just *a* goon for Joker and nothing more.
Quote:
~It’s not every day you see a weakened superhero somewhat limp out of the entrance on grand opening of a new building speaking like William Shatner.
Unless if you're William Shatner...or Jack Sparrow.

Quote:
~One video playback footage later… Lex discovers the Man of Steel’s Achilles heel.
Makes more sense then him just figuring out that kryptonite must be highly radioactive, enough so to affect Supes because...reasons.

Quote:
~So instead of using Kryptonite as a power source as he sort of would later on, Lex decides to use it as his best weapon against Superman. Makes sense since he probably doesn’t need to profit off of the stuff now since he’s already playing humanitarian and is already obscenely wealthy, but in the long run… we know that’ll definitely bite him back hard.
And presumably that it didn't occur to him yet that it COULD be used as a power source.

Quote:
Hey, we all have different ways to try mull over and think about the days' events.

Quote:
~Ah the ol’ rooftop deal robbery. Done usually at night, but I’m sure it’s all part of Lex’s plan to get it done in broad daylight.
Also presumably because the method of doing shady deals at night has become so expected, that now no one would expect them to do that in the middle of the day.

Quote:
~Of course the robbers would have jetpacks to make their escape. I mean, their funder is Lex, right?
Jetpacks are teh Foohthure.

Quote:
~Ho boy… I was expecting to do my first art comparison with the first Timm style compared to the second and not the second compared to the third… but I kind of have to now that I’m seeing Professor Hamilton’s first appearance in the DCAU…
S:TAS Hamilton https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20080419104218
Justice League Unlimited Hamilton https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...20091130104127
I’ll get into more details on why I think the third Timm style is the best once Beyond is in my viewing range.
Uhm. That's...awkward.

Quote:
~The climax of this episode is Superman defending himself and Lois Lane from a robotic T-rex whilst being slowly weakened by Kryptonite. Did I mention I freaking love the DCAU?
...ok, this definitely beats the robot duck by a long mile.
tasti man LH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #111
RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Feeding Time

~Huh… I honestly didn’t know Superman in a lead suit was a thing until that first shot. Then again, it would make sense for Superman’s future space suit to have a prototype and having it be lead-based would help create it.

~Sure enough, mere brief moments later we see a space suit for Superman that Professor Hamilton built on display.

~Meanwhile… in a random warehouse… forklift trouble.

~Oh… so this is an unsubtle robbery attempt of… nuclear substances?

~The random warehouse just so happens to be nearby Professor Hamilton’s lab. How very Plot Convenient!

~Save the policemen first then go after the robbers.

~The weak guy involved with this nuclear substance robbery is supposed to be our future Parasite? Dude, must gotten really beefy later on then…

~Yeesh… this is why you don’t try to rob nuclear substances without proper protection: you inevitably get turned into a supervillain.

~Meanwhile, Superman is finishing up his firefighting and investigating some nuclear substance residue…

~Okay, that reawakening scene for Parasite was almost Frankenstein-esque and I loved it.

~I feel really sorry for what’s about to happen to this one lone female police officer when she first encounters Parasite.

~Parasite can absorb his victim’s information and their voice as well? Well… this has certainly gotten scarier…

~Huh… even Parasite himself is shocked that he can instantly absorb and relay knowledge in an emergency.

~The following morning, Clark and Jimmy are with the police getting the news scoop for the Daily Planet.

~To be fair, Barney the Dinosaur isn’t really so much of a monster as he is a somewhat annoyance.

~More purple residue at the latest scene… Clark asks the head officer where Parasite’s former partner-in-crime might live…

~Parasite is simultaneously unhappy and happy that his former partner in crime left him behind covered in nuclear residue.

~And now Superman tries to talk to Rudy Jones a.k.a. Parasite a la Batman in hopes that he could return to normal… but because he’s kinda naïve Superman just gets his energy and powers absorbed instead.

~So because he misusing his power and abilities, he’s Rudy Jones is now feared by the public? Why, oh why does THAT sound SO familiar? (insert Man of Steel image here)

~Dang it Hamilton, even when you’re portrayed as a good guy early on in the DCAU, you still end up being a bad guy because of your inadvertent actions!

~Did… getting his energy sucked out of him from Parasite end up with Clark getting a cold?

~One robbery attempt and interview with the first police woman Parasite absorbed later, Parasite, Clark, and Jimmy discover that in order for Rudy Jones to keep Superman’s abilities he has to continually absorb Superman.

~Oh yeah… because Rudy also absorbs information he knows Superman is Clark Kent and knows where he lives making him get an almost perfect sneak attack.

~Parasite successfully captures Superman and demonstrates his voice capture ability to the chained Man of Steel making a search and rescue for Clark Kent almost near pointless.

~After a full crime spree week, Jimmy deducts Parasite might be back at S.T.A.R. Labs… but everyone else at the Daily Planet dismisses it because the police checked there first.

~Jimmy decides to conduct his own investigation on S.T.A.R…. as his boss.

~Superman may not have his full heat vision back, but he can hear Jimmy is nearby so he indicates he’s in trouble with… Morse code? Which Jimmy also happens to know…. Okay…

~Jimmy discovers the Man of Steel is being held captive and tries to help him escape whist Supes is airing on the side of precaution to ask Jimmy to leave and call the police.

~Rudy comes back to “feed” and Superman converses with him whist Jimmy tries to leave… but Parasite catches on fairly quickly that there’s an intruder.

~However, since Parasite can’t multitask properly, he doesn’t notice Superman escape his bonds.

~Superman is asking the staff of S.T.A.R. Labs to clear the area because he knows of the damage he and Parasite can do.

~Sure enough, S.T.A.R. is getting wrecked and one simple beforehand warning is enough to cause a whole lot less casualties.

~Final confrontation is in the room where Superman’s suits are stored. I see where this is going.

~Huh… not exactly how I thought it would end… I honestly thought that in the lead suit Supes would use Kryptonite against Parasite to protect him from the absorption and the stone’s effects simultaneously. Instead, Supes just uses the suit to mostly protect him from the absorption effects and Parasite accidentally touches the Kryptonite whilst trying to get through Superman’s protective faceplate.

~Parasite is being kept under watch in S.T.A.R. Labs whist they build a special cell for him and it seems like Rudy is catatonic… until a bug comes near him and he absorbs its energy…

The Way of All Flesh

~Already way deep into continuity with John Corben in a Lex Luthor-funded prison cell.

~Nice to see that bribery of prison guards has always been a thing in the DCAU.

~Ooh… I can kind of already see where Corben’s fate is now…

~Ah the very rare unnamed terminal disease: a staple for most soap operas… or in this case supervillain origins.

~You shouldn’t be surprised that everyone knows/works for Luthor, Corben… or maybe you hadn’t gotten that far up the totem pole yet before you got to know that big piece of info.

~*insert Queen’s Bicycle Race here*

~Spotting missiles on a bicycle ride… like you do.

~There’s a simple bit of satisfaction of seeing Superman punch a missile mid-flight.

~I guess Superman learned more detective tricks from Batman rather than ninja tricks with how stealthily he caught those escaped prisoners.

~Superman fishing for escaped criminals and using a big piece of rock to cover the prison wall missile hole… I love the simple but absurd details.

~Of course Corben escaped because of Lex provided scuba gear. Why wouldn’t he?

~Essentially, because Corben didn’t snitch on Luthor because of the events of the second and third episode, Lex gave him a nice cell with meals and now is “curing” him of his rare terminal soap opera villain disease.

~Uh Lex… I don’t mean to bemoan you or anything but you could’ve come up with a better name for your new virtually indestructible metal alloy other than Metallo.

~Metallo is Kryptonite-powered? That cannot be good for the long run because the stuff is kinda rare-ish. Still, if it works against Superman Corben is willing to comply to a robot body.

~So… many… Terminator… references…

~Plot-exposition news: now airing live from Metropolis.

~Lois has sources everywhere, I swear.

~Huh… so Corben caught his soap opera disease whist doing his overseas merc work.

~Testing the new cyborg body… so far it looks like there are no drawbacks for Corben.

~Unlike Cyborg… Corben can’t feel pain or hunger or thirst anymore ever since he became a walking machine.

~I didn’t know Aeris had relatives in Metropolis.

~Corben can’t smell Aeris’s Metropolis relative’s flowers either…

~Well… I’ll give Corben credit: allowing yourself to be willing to be run over by a train is the best way to attract Superman.

~I don’t think any more aliens are going to come into Metropolis for about maybe two more episodes tops.

~Tackle the nigh invulnerable man into a building in construction. Good thinking Superman!

~It seems Superman and Corben are equal in strength… until Corben exposes this Kryptonite core.

~Well… Corben isn’t wrong about taking Superman’s most famous nickname for himself now.

~How convenient that the fight would lead onto the highway and Lois would just so happen to be driving on it and see Superman get beat hard by Corben.

~One forced make-out session later… Corben finally realizes he’s more machine now than man.

~Superman weaponizing Lois’s car while weakened against Kryptonite-powered Corben. Like I said: the simple but absurd is what I love about this Universe.

~Corben’s angry that he’s now essentially prototype Cyborg and can’t enjoy three of his five senses any more so he demands an actual psychical body… but his new state is permanent.

~John Corben is now the Terminator, I mean Metallo.

~I didn’t know the press could investigate in a police-like fashion…

~Meanwhile, a lot of subtle sexual innuendos are being spoken on Lex’s pleasure boat…

~Metallo interrupts the sexual innuendos to lodge some formal complaints to Lex about his new condition.

~Huh… Lex brings up some good points… he probably never meant to make Corben Metallo permanently and if Corben did kill Luthor nothing would change about him being Metallo.

~Patience is a virtue for both heroes and villains apparently…

~Boat battle! In more ways than one apparently!

~Corben is a fast learner if he could manage to shoot Kryptonite lasers near the end of the episode.

~Huh… when Clark did his alter-ego investigation he discovered that the doctor Luthor hired spiked Corben’s food so he could get his soap opera disease so Lex could transform Corben into Metallo as his best weapon against Superman. That’s one crazy chain of events right there…

~I just realized that Lex being affected by a disease would be a plot point for Justice League… That’s clever foreshadowing there, writers.

~Explode the boat while your foes are distracted.

~I didn’t know that Metallo wasn’t buoyant…

~Superman saves Lex from Jaws.

~Actually… I think you should worry Superman… judging from your recent rescue of Luthor, if Metallo comes back he knows that you’ll protect Lex from harm so the best way for Corben to get revenge on Luthor would be to go after you first, Superman.

~Metallo may not be buoyant… but he can breathe underwater…

Stolen Memories

~A thunderstorm in the middle of a canyon valley of sorts. This is going to be an unintentional homage to disaster movies, isn’t it?

~Unsurprisingly, LexCorp is using the storm to its advantage and Lois and Jimmy are undercover to discover the scoop.

~A important meeting with someone in the middle of a thunderstorm? Is Lex trying to get into contact with Zeus or trying to reach an accord with Thor from Marvel?

~Lex is meeting with a spaceman? Guess I was wrong about more aliens not showing up sooner than I thought then.

~Oh snap. It’s Brainiac in a human form.

~That’s… actually really smart thinking for Lex to intercept Brainiac’s interplanetary message and give him a disc containing only the basic data of Earth. The man doesn’t know what the A.I. would do after he got all of the info he needed and/or what would happen if the world government would contact Brainiac first so he aired on the side of precaution and practicality for a potential ally.

~Lex being brought aboard Brainiac’s schemes. I’m sure this will not be a recurring theme whatsoever.

~On the topic of Superman’s spacesuit: I’m pretty sure Clark hasn’t tested whether or not he can breathe in space so he’s airing on the side of precaution by using a spacesuit in the DCAU when doing his otherworldly exploits.

~The government wants to talk to Superman about him interacting with a being from his alien homeworld. Why does this sound vaguely familiar?

~Naturally, the government isn’t exactly happy about LexCorp breaking national security but Lex excuses it by essentially saying, “It’s proper business.”

~Brainiac having data for a cure for cancer? Highly unlikely. Superman curing cancer with the help of the city of Kandor? Quite possible.

~I swear Lex is almost always one or two steps ahead of Superman is this series which explains why when Superman finally ousts him, it’s with the help of his future League members.

~Noted: Superman’s super senses cannot detect cloaking technology.

~Superman notices Kryptonian writing in the middle of Brainiac’s spaceship and is immediately attacked by his droids.

~I really like and respect that a part of Superman’s character growth throughout the DCAU is him slowly but surely losing his naïveté whilst trying to maintain some of his original ideals with Superman’s brief comment to himself stating that he should’ve known Lex was baiting him into meeting with Brainiac.

~You know… in hindsight, it would make sense why Superman does seem a bit weaker than he normally should be in the DCAU judging by this fight scene. Remember that baby Kal-El was sent to Earth not as a newborn/infant, but as a toddler. A few extra months exposed to our yellow sun might have made Superman near invincible in the DCAU, but since he spent some time under Krypton’s red sun before it blew up he’s a bit more vulnerable to hard psychical blows as we see now.

~Oh yeah, using heat vision on robots works…

~Superman and Brainiac finally meet for the first time as Brainiac explains his Kryptonian connections to Kal-El.

~Brainiac shares his knowledge with Superman.

~Brainiac: “He (Jor-El) helped me escape Krypton’s fate too.” Well, technically speaking… he’s not wrong.

~Brainiac offers Superman knowledge of his lost alien home world in exchange for helping the A.I. gather more knowledge from other worlds.

~His new home world in exchange for the cosmos. Well, Superman can already explore the universe already plus we all know what the relationship between him and Brainiac is by now…

~Trippy dream sequence flashback whilst Clark mulls his decision.

~Looks like Lex is still dead set on an alliance with Brainiac. Next thing you know Lex will think the A.I. is speaking to him when he’s not really there.

~Lex Luthor could be Batman in an alternate reality with his intellect and how Crazy Prepared he can be against his foes.

~Time to make a decision… but first some… preparations of sorts.

~Yeesh… two episodes in a row dealing with creepy robot schematics…

~Whilst Brainiac is gathering info from Lex, Superman is gathering info from Brainiac’s space exploit orbs… and they’re definitely not pretty…

~Superman and Lex are not happy about Brainiac’s actions now.

~I get that knowledge is power and valuable for Brainiac but he should have a better purpose for that knowledge other than just collect and destroy. Maybe someday someone will offer a purpose beyond his original programming.

~Apparently Superman is stronger than Brainiac originally calculated with how surprised he now is.

~Dang, Lex almost got the perfect counterattack on Brainiac. Too bad the A.I. can easily multitask his beatdown on Superman and destruction of Lex’s missile defense.

~I am now obligated to use this clip:

~And because of Superman’s brief distraction, a few of Lex’s missiles finally hit Brainiac’s ship.

~Before Superman can escape Brainiac’s ship, he goes to gather the orb containing his alien home world’s info, lest it be lost forever.

~Looks like Brainiac did download himself onto Lex’s system after all…

~We end with Superman placing Kyrpton’s info orb in the arctic thinking the place would make a great fortress to spend some solitude in.
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:19 PM   #112
Ankh Primo

Quote:
Feeding Time

~Huh… even Parasite himself is shocked that he can instantly absorb and relay knowledge in an emergency.
Cellular knowledge is generally beyond our brain's inheritence.

I mean, do we know we can talk until we start doing so?

Quote:
Did… getting his energy sucked out of him from Parasite end up with Clark getting a cold?
Newly exposed immune system? You bet.

Quote:
Superman may not have his full heat vision back, but he can hear Jimmy is nearby so he indicates he’s in trouble with… Morse code? Which Jimmy also happens to know…. Okay…
Reporters should have a decent knowledge base.

Quote:
The Way of All Flesh

~Spotting missiles on a bicycle ride… like you do.
Welcome to North Korea.

Quote:
Uh Lex… I don’t mean to bemoan you or anything but you could’ve come up with a better name for your new virtually indestructible metal alloy other than Metallo.
But why does he need a better name?

Quote:
Lois has sources everywhere, I swear.
Good reporters should, though...

Quote:
Meanwhile, a lot of subtle sexual innuendos are being spoken on Lex’s pleasure boat…
Best part of the entire DCAU.

Quote:
I didn’t know that Metallo wasn’t buoyant…
Metal always starts out sinking.

Quote:
Metallo may not be buoyant… but he can breathe underwater…
More like he doesn't breathe at all.

Quote:
Stolen Memories

~Oh snap. It’s Brainiac in a human form.
And the audience rejoiced.

Quote:
Noted: Superman’s super senses cannot detect cloaking technology.
It wouldn't be cloaking technology if he could.

Quote:
Lex Luthor could be Batman in an alternate reality with his intellect and how Crazy Prepared he can be against his foes.
But that would also involve being selfless, and selfless ain't profitable.
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:41 AM   #113
Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

Quote:
~Metallo is Kryptonite-powered? That cannot be good for the long run because the stuff is kinda rare-ish. Still, if it works against Superman Corben is willing to comply to a robot body.
Kryptonite radiation is surprisingly plentiful. In the comics, it was shown that, while Metallo's body could be run on Earth-born radioactive elements, those sources would be drained in a short amount of time. But even one piece of Kryptonite seems to have an endless supply of radiation to power Metallo (supposedly "forever" if the JLU episode "Chaos at the Earth's Core" is anything to go by).
Old October 1st, 2017, 03:05 PM   #114
RangerSentai
Power Ranger

I don't wanna jinx things because I tend to do that with my movie reviews, but it looks like I'm on a good track to get Mystery of the Batwoman out before all the good Nintendo games come out this Autumn and I get distracted by all of them. Until then, enjoy more Superman!

The Main Man: Part 1

~Already getting the sense I’m watching an old Wile E. Coyote/Road Runner cartoon.

~*insert the incredibly obvious DBZ meme here*

~Oh so this was all just a test flight of Superman’s pod that he was sent to Earth from.

~Or, Professor Hamilton, civilizations from other worlds can be just like ours filled with normal everyday people or people like this biker guy that they immediately cut to.

~Oh… I am going to enjoy Lobo judging from his first scene.

~I freaking love the pure sheer creativity and attention to detail of these alien designs.

~Bar fight!

~Knowing Lobo, he probably intentionally blew up the alien biker joint on his way out.

~Red teleportation beam?

~Whoever wrote for Lobo, you deserve all of the rewards.

~Ah so I see the Preserver is DC’s answer to Marvel’s Collector in he gathers the rare and exotic like Starro. Seriously, Starro is indeed amongst the Preserver’s collection.

~The Preserver promises to award Lobo handsomely if can manage to capture Superman. Well, money is a good incentive for any and all freelancers unless the fate of the universe/galaxy is on the line.

~Well Lobo sure got to Earth quick. Must’ve used the premium space fuel for his ride.

~I think this scene speaks for itself:

~At least Lobo isn’t causing too much of a ruckus at the police station?

~Spinning solves everything!

~I wonder if anyone has ever told Lobo his name also means wolf in Spanish in comics. I’m genuinely curious now.

~Ah the ol’ faking being knocked out by gas routine. Lobo knows his stuff.

~Aliens on a flying motorcycle doesn’t have the same kick as card games on motorcycles.

~And there’s Lex’s obligatory interaction with an alien…

~Mr. Incredible, eat your heart out.

~Superman has earned Lobo’s respect… too bad he still has a job to do and he’s going to do it.

~Mad respect for Lois going up against a rough and tough alien biker with just a pipe. I mean, she probably had to deal with standard rough and tough bikers with just a pipe before Superman came to Metropolis, but still…

~I guess it makes sense that Lobo likes feisty ladies?

~Man, Lex cannot catch a break with his home office being wrecked today.

~Who knew that an alien biker would help jump start the romance between Superman and Lois?

~Seriously, this episode has some brilliantly thought out humor.

~Hey it’s the first time Superman’s been called a boy scout! By Lobo no less!

~Don’t blame Lobo for taking a brief powwow after meeting Superman for the first time. I mean if you want your riches, you have to know who your competition is in hunting or gambling.

~Superman’s taking the fight to Lobo now with his space pod because, well… he’s Lobo.

~I seriously want to meet the writing team for this episode because… this space battle is just glorious.

~I guess Lobo went out into space to contact the Preserver to target Superman because he knew Superman well enough from their brief encounter to know enough that the Man of Steel would track the Main Man down.

~Superman is home… sort of. I guess The Preserver likes attention to detail.

~Okay, The Preserver pretty much confirms my theory that a few extra months in our yellow sun would’ve made Superman nigh invincible whilst red sunlight would revert himself back to normal strength or so.

~Lobo comes back to pretty much mock Superman while he’s down… then proceeds to brag that he’s coincidentally The Preserver’s next collectible and gets himself immediately captured.

The Main Man: Part 2

~Last time: DC’s Collector hired a space mercenary with a Spanish name to capture a powerful alien boy scout who’s never earned a single merit badge and succeeds… only for him to get added amongst the collection because of him being “humble”. This time, said boy scout and space mercenary along with an unexpected sidekick form an unlikely alliance to escape being forever put on display.

~I feel as though I’m watching an alternate history of Star Wars right now with this first scene…

~Huh… so The Preserver does have some standards on what he preserves in that he normally doesn’t take in “sentient” beings, but he will make exceptions in the case of Superman and Lobo.

~Glad to see the Lobo’s cell is essentially almost all of the stereotypes involving puck rockers including a Kizz poster.

~Fem-bots with knockout gas? The Preserver is definitely taking no chances with Lobo escaping then, I see.

~Space rhino/triceratops. Not exactly what I call rare and or exotic, but I guess it has to be the last of its kind for The Preserver to put it there.

~Nice thinking on Superman’s part to use some trick lighting to have the space rhino/triceratops to break your cell.

~One brief test to see if Supes has enough strength before escaping… but before he does escape, Lobo asks to help bust him out as well. Superman initially and naturally says no.

~Lobo says he will eventually get out on his own and threaten the Earth again once he does before being put under the gas again. Superman, being cautious, asks Lobo if he breaks him out he’ll leave the Earth and the Man of Steel alone. Lobo essentially says yes and Superman breaks him out at last.

~I didn’t know The Preserver was a fan of Scooby-Doo… or more specifically Velma.

~Lobo is still an anti-hero as a reminder to Superman.

~Hey all of The Preserver’s aquatic collection are concerned about the escapees’ conditions! I think.

~I guess it makes sense that Lobo wouldn’t volunteer to play decoy.

~You can almost tell that the writers wanted more adult dialogue out of Lobo with him referring to a robot who shot a laser directly into his face as a “Fragger”.

~I guess Superman takes in Starro later then with how it’s still in a cell.

~Yeah… I don’t blame Lobo for saying to Superman he’s threatening to bring the smack down on The Preserver out loud without knowing that The Preserver might be watching their every move now that they’ve escaped.

~Alien sandworm!

~Lobo apparently doesn’t like returning favors immediately.

~The Preserver is about to handle things himself… before more bounty hunters arrive to capture Lobo.

~I see that small alien that was also captured earlier is having a better time than Lobo or Superman did in captivity… which makes sense. Dude was just a small fry in the bigger picture for the Preserver’s plans, so treat him as a guest rather than as a display.

~Of course, the small alien gets captured by Lobo again and the three are about to escape… before the bounty hunters come in to collect their quarry.

~Obligatory chase sequence with weakened heroes.

~Lobo takes more offense to his ride than his own self.

~Superman has a plan with what he sees amongst The Preserver’s jungle.

~Take note writers: Superman is smarter than he appears to be. After all he IS the son of two alien scientists. This scene where Superman tricks the bounty hunters into putting him into an Earth habitat shows how intelligent he can be under the right circumstances.

~At least The Preserver is more active in keeping his collection where it belongs unlike The Collector from the MCU.

~Woah… The Preserver is the alien Red Hulk.

~Superman vs. alien Red Hulk!

~Lobo with the major assist in opening the airlock!

~All’s well that ends well with Lobo getting his original reward from his original bounty and Superman housing all of the Preserver’s collection on Earth in the newly formed Fortress of Solitude. Let’s just hope one of them doesn’t hijack his body one day in an effort to go home.
Old October 1st, 2017, 03:26 PM   #115
Ankh Primo

Quote:
The Main Man: Part 1

~Spinning solves everything!
So Superman reversing Earth's axis taught us.

Quote:
Mad respect for Lois going up against a rough and tough alien biker with just a pipe. I mean, she probably had to deal with standard rough and tough bikers with just a pipe before Superman came to Metropolis, but still…
Can't have a perfect world if you're not willing to fight for it.

Quote:
The Main Man: Part 2

~Space rhino/triceratops. Not exactly what I call rare and or exotic, but I guess it has to be the last of its kind for The Preserver to put it there
You've seen other another space rhinoceratops?!

Quote:
One brief test to see if Supes has enough strength before escaping… but before he does escape, Lobo asks to help bust him out as well. Superman initially and naturally says no.
Finally, a good guy who doesn't leap to help a rival.

Quote:
You can almost tell that the writers wanted more adult dialogue out of Lobo with him referring to a robot who shot a laser directly into his face as a “Fragger”.
Timm's writer room ALWAYS wants to use more adult dialogue.

Quote:
Take note writers: Superman is smarter than he appears to be. After all he IS the son of two alien scientists. This scene where Superman tricks the bounty hunters into putting him into an Earth habitat shows how intelligent he can be under the right circumstances.
Um, IQ really isn't determined by biology.
Old October 2nd, 2017, 06:07 AM   #116
Bluecatcinema
Power Ranger

Quote:
~I think this scene speaks for itself:
I loved that scene. It's even funnier when you consider that Clark actually took off his glasses while "confessing".
Old October 9th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #117
RangerSentai
Power Ranger

My Girl

~No relation to the 1991 movie of the same name.

~I’ll never understand popular fashions.

~I see that Lex Luthor is similar to Bruce Wayne in that his latest eye candy is newsworthy.

~L. L. can be anyone in the Superman mythos. Heck, L. L. is a recurring theme amongst his mythos to the point where Superman can probably fit in with the world of Death Note! But I guess it can be Lana Lang in this case.

~Just some brief exposition on how Lana is connected to Clark.

~I never realized how many blatant fanservice-like shots there are in the DCAU until now with Lex ogling Lana’s legs.

~Even when it’s about pleasure, Lex is always doing business.

~Aggressive fashionistas.

~”Fashion-disabled Amazon”? I thought they wouldn’t be confirmed until much later, Lana.

~A superhero out saving his old flame from danger… Why does this sound vaguely familiar?

~Well… that’s definitely one way to carry a damsel in distress and two aggressive fashionistas simultaneously.

~Welp, Lana immediately sees through Superman’s disguise as both a former flame and as a fashion designer.

~Lex happy that Superman saved his current girlfriend? Who are you and what have you done with the real Lex Luthor?

~Even though they’ve now broken up, Lana knows Superman is Clark Kent because of his heroics display as early on as the second episode in addition to personal history and keeping tabs.

~Lana likes powerful men… that explains so much.

~Is it just me… or is Lana Lang eerily similar to Lois Lane right now?

~Mercy Graves keeping track of both Superman and Lana Lang… most likely not under Lex’s orders.

~I can now see why Lex used to date Lois and is now dating Lana.

~So much snooping!

~Yeah… Lex probably didn’t realize that Lana is much smarter and resourceful than she seems to be like Lois.

~And the weapons display/exchange is pretty much somewhat similar to Spider-Man: Homecoming’s weapon display… except done somewhat smarter.

~A red and blue superhero off to stop a weapons exchange from potential terrorists. Man, I didn’t realize that the MCU took a lot of ideas from all parts of the DCAU until now.

~There’s that ol’ Superman naiveté/arrogance at work again…

~Okay Superman acting as railroad track support for a moving train was admittedly freaking awesome.

~Superman doesn’t need a sidekick, Lana… at least not yet.

~Even though you get the feeling that Clark and Lana do still have feelings for each other, the moment Lana smooches Superman… doesn’t feel like they’re both a romantic fit.

~Ooh… Lex is angry that his current girlfriend is now probably Superman’s.

~One lunch date later and all seems well for Lana and Lex’s relationship…

~Central City? Early Flash foreshadowing much? Also… this phone call is obviously Lex baiting Lana into telling Superman the info so he can trap them both.

~Seriously… are Lana Lang and Lois Lane the same people at this point? Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if Superman married an amalgamation of both the two in a fantasy dream sequence!

~Yeah… Superman’s not buying the bait and is going after Lana instead, is he?

~To be fair… Lana probably didn’t realize that Lex was baiting her because she didn’t think he was spying on her.

~Yeesh… Lex is genuinely upset that he had to dispose of Lana… almost feel sorry for the guy now…

~I… honestly can’t tell what that black goo is supposed to be… but I do know that it’s not pretty and it’s the stuff that’s going to be used on Lana.

~Oh… the black goo is lead… well… some props on not having Superman track Lana somewhat immediately with his X-Ray vision?

~Nice save there Supes!

~Hey, some actual loss of naïveté from Superman’s end!

~Or… maybe not since with his vision somewhat diminished Superman couldn’t see that he put Lana in a room full of explosives while he goes off to fight the random terrorist.

~That may have been a nice shot random terrorist, but Superman still has super strength.

~That’s a LOT of liquid lead…

~Great… now both the random terrorist and Lana are in danger of being covered in liquid lead because of a deadly superweapon.

~Man of Lead… doesn’t have the same ring as Man of Steel…

~Superman saves Lana… but lets the random terrorist die in the exploding factory of liquid lead… Well, you can’t save everyone, I guess…

~Oh he did save the random terrorist… offscreen… somehow…

~Lana and Clark reconcile before the former leaves for France.

~Two girls somewhat different, yet oddly similar that Clark Kent is attracted to…

Tools of the Trade

~This random guy ordering a hot dog shares my thoughts exactly… but non-sarcastically: “Metropolis Gold Exchange? Huh. Wonder if anyone has ever tried to rob it?”

~Well that tank is definitely not the size of Pittsburg, but I think it’ll do for trying to rob the Gold Exchange.

~And we have Metropolis’s versions on Harvey Bullock and Renee Montoya arrive at the scene of the crime.

~I’m guessing Clark and Lois carpool with each other with this traffic jam scene.

~Superman vs. a tank… looks like a fairly even matchup.

~Unsurprisingly, the tank belongs to Bruno Manheim.

~Yup, the Metropolis SCU duo is definitely similar to Bullock and Montoya now.

~Manheim is not happy that his gang doesn’t have enough firepower to take down Superman.

~Mysterious suave guy with advanced tech offering assistance to relatively small criminals… the suave guy is definitely working for someone VERY powerful then.

~So because the SCU was somewhat badmouthed not Bullock does some investigation on Manheim’s compound… and sees the high-tech display.

~”Free sample” that a benefactor will explain his motives whenever he pleases… definitely someone with a lot of power.

~That explosion sound effect sounds somewhat familiar…

~Okay, confirmed: SCU Bullock is Dan Turpin and he’s working under SCU Renee a.k.a. Maggie.

~Bruno Manheim is definitely not MCU Adrian Toomes with how incredibly unsubtle he’s making his high-tech crimes.

~Best disguise change I’ve seen yet in the DCAU from that elevator scene.

~A hero clad mostly in red and blue facing down a hero with high-tech gloves… I’m finding way too many Spider-Man: Homecoming references in these episodes lately, I swear…

~Have Superman focus on collateral damage and potential harm to bystanders before resuming the battle against the criminals. Absolutely.

~Man, it feels so weird to see Montoya’s equivalent tell Bullock’s equivalent to back off and bring in the hero to help things out.

~Ah, I see Turpin’s using the ol’ resignation means no more following the proper rules loophole then.

~Again with that vaguely familiar explosion sound effect…. with a very familiar visual effect with the suave guy’s silhouette… Nah… it couldn’t be him who’s the benefactor this early in the series…

~Special energy gun designed to destroy even the most invulnerable of targets…. Nope, still not totally convinced the benefactor is him specifically because it sounds WAY too generous to be him…

~The major difference between Turpin and Bullock: Bullock follows orders he doesn’t like begrudgingly whilst Turpin basically follows the beat of his own drum when confronted with an order he doesn’t like.

~Uh oh… Superman is about to get into an attempted assassination and Turpin is the only one who knows the true danger and can save him whilst ensnared…

~Superman catching energy blasts and throwing them back. I can totally believe that.

~Round two of the red and blue superhero and the guy with high-tech gloves!

~I guess the energy hands’ strength is connected to the user’s strength: if either are injured or broken, then the things just don’t work effectively.

~Ouch… direct hit from the super energy gun… Superman’s definitely in trouble now.

~Turpin with the last-minute escape and save!

~I guess because he was too injured Superman couldn’t use his heat vision to prevent Manheim from using the super energy gun any further.

~Oh snap… Superman is NOT happy judging by that silhouette…

~Check on the injured before going after the escaping villain.

~Manheim asks suave guy for another chance. Suave guy says no and leaves through his familiar-looking portal. Manheim sees Superman coming after him and goes through said portal.

~Looks like Superman’s relationship with Turpin is going to be much better than Batman’s with Bullock.

~Meanwhile… Manheim finds himself in a proverbial version of hell and finally meets his benefactor and now new lord and master: Darkseid of Apokolips.

Two's a Crowd

~A police sting in broad daylight? With Professor Hamilton, Dan Turpin, and Maggie? This definitely is not Gotham!

~Using a tank to get someone out of a house. I would’ve preferred some knockout gas or some sleep darts, but that works too.

~Oh never mind the house is reinforced with solid steel. My idea probably wouldn’t have worked either because the guy holed up probably has a lot of gas filters.

~That’s what you get for not wearing full body armor under a police sting, Dan: you get injured by someone’s automatic defense systems.

~Superman here to analyze the situation.

~Why does almost every negative scientific-related event always leads back to S.T.A.R. Labs in the DCAU?

~Superman punches through the steel wall easily… only to find another steel wall. Superman tries to punch that one… but it’s electrified so just flat out breaking.

~Man, Earl Garver has his place VERY well guarded. Too bad Superman’s here to break through all of the defenses.

~Ah, so Garver doesn’t have the bomb near him and it’s covered with lead so there’s no way Superman can track it down now.

~Again, I’ll give that Garver’s defense are very well thought of… but they don’t do jack squat against the Man of Steel.

~Plot concussion and Superman’s super speed isn’t fast enough to find the bomb.

~Wait what… Hamilton’s plan… is to have Parasite absorb Garver’s knowledge to find the bomb? That can go wrong in so many ways imaginable that I don’t blame Superman for being wary and I can now easily see that Hamilton was already kind of a bad seed from the beginning of the DCAU.

~Rudy Jones, naturally, refuses to help out our protagonists, at first.

~Seriously… Rudy Jones helps our heroes out… for cable T.V.? If I were him I would’ve probably asked for Lex Luthor to absorb some of his genius mind for at least a day or maybe exclusive internet access, but premium cable? I get he wants a source of power but still… at least I know where some of the DCEU’s weaker humor/plot details came from now…

~This is quite an elaborate setup for a supervillain absorbing a somewhat minor villain’s information.

~Okay… this is the strangest case of multiple identity order I’ve ever seen since Parasite who was Rudy Jones has absorbed Earl Garver knowledge and somehow simultaneously became him. Then again, this was kind of foreshadowed in Parasite’s premiere episode.

~New plan: try to reason with Earl Garver Parasite to get the information. Rudy Jones Parasite mentally also tells Earl Garver Parasite to try and cooperate as well. Earl Garver Parasite finally gives the info.

~Of course the bomb would be in the freaking ocean on a wrecked ship. Also, it makes sense than Superman also needs scuba gear in addition to a spacesuit thinking about it.

~Whilst Superman and Maggie are having their underwater excavation, Parasite his having a battle of the minds with Rudy Jones and Earl Garver fighting for dominance/unity.

~The two minds have somehow merged into one and Parasite starts to make his escape.

~One brief exploration later, Maggie and Superman discover that Garver was tricking them.

~The sunken ship is sinking more!

~Welp, Superman’s scuba mask broke. Time to test if he can breathe underwater!

~From the looks of that escape sequence… yeah, Superman can breathe underwater. I’m assuming he hasn’t tested if he can breathe in outer space at all because it’s riskier than breathing underwater.

~I love the nice detail that Parasite absorbed a whole bunch of hospital personnel, then commercial break fade to find the other hospital workers taking care of the injured hospital staff.

~This new slightly adjusted ransom demand feels very familiar… like B:TAS levels of familiar.

~At least Parasite chose an abandoned subway station to make the ransom exchange/inevitable battle.

~I never realized how much lead can hurt Superman’s abilities as much as Kryptonite can until now.

~Okay…that was a brilliant double trap on Parasite’s part to the point where I have to praise it and not accuse Superman of being naïve for falling into it.

~Man, I honestly can’t tell if Parasite is talking as Rudy Jones or Earl Garver now with this fight scene.

~Oh dear, it looks like Garver’s in full control with how he’s going back to reactivate the bomb unless he gets Superman’s powers.

~Yeah, I don’t blame Superman for trying to convince the Rudy Jones part of Parasite to stop Earl Garver’s insane plans.

~I kinda wanna see a Two-Face vs Harvey Dent battle of the minds now with Earl Garver and Rudy Jones fighting over who has mental control of Parasite’s body.

~Can’t disarm the bomb fast enough? Throw it into the plot pit!

~The bomb’s been detonated in a safe location, Earl Garver is now serving justice for terrorism and grand theft body control, and Rudy Jones get his full reign over Parasite back as well as his premium cable award. All things considered, it was a good day.
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #118
Dragonwolf Ranger
Waterbending Master

And thus ends the first season.

Quote:
exclusive internet access, but premium cable?
Hey it was 1997, cable was more known than intermenet back then.
Old October 10th, 2017, 12:35 AM   #119
Ankh Primo

Quote:
My Girl

~No relation to the 1991 movie of the same name.
What about the 1960s song of the same name?

Quote:
I’ll never understand popular fashions.
They're not meant to be understood, it all comes off stupid after enough time has passed.

Quote:
I see that Lex Luthor is similar to Bruce Wayne in that his latest eye candy is newsworthy.
If she's not, you're billionairing wrong.

Quote:
I never realized how many blatant fanservice-like shots there are in the DCAU until now with Lex ogling Lana’s legs.
Oh yeah, Timm was pervy from the get-go.

Quote:
Is it just me… or is Lana Lang eerily similar to Lois Lane right now?
Clark wouldn't be attracted to her if she wasn't.

Quote:
I can now see why Lex used to date Lois and is now dating Lana.
Lex wouldn't be attracted to her if she wasn't.

Quote:
Central City? Early Flash foreshadowing much? Also… this phone call is obviously Lex baiting Lana into telling Superman the info so he can trap them both.
Every fictional city in the DC universe has at least one superhero.

Quote:
Tools of the Trade

~Looks like Superman’s relationship with Turpin is going to be much better than Batman’s with Bullock.
Because they're both way friendlier than those two.

Quote:
Two's a Crowd

~Why does almost every negative scientific-related event always leads back to S.T.A.R. Labs in the DCAU?
'cause they suck.

Quote:
Seriously… Rudy Jones helps our heroes out… for cable T.V.? If I were him I would’ve probably asked for Lex Luthor to absorb some of his genius mind for at least a day or maybe exclusive internet access, but premium cable? I get he wants a source of power but still… at least I know where some of the DCEU’s weaker humor/plot details came from now…
All internet could get you back then was pixelated 10-second porn clips.

Quote:
From the looks of that escape sequence… yeah, Superman can breathe underwater. I’m assuming he hasn’t tested if he can breathe in outer space at all because it’s riskier than breathing underwater.
He actually can't breathe underwater. He just made it look good that time.
Old October 12th, 2017, 02:19 PM   #120
RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Part of me wanted to post this up tomorrow... but tomorrow's also the Season 4/3.5 premiere of Voltron: Legendary Defender and I kind of wanna binge watch that as much as possible tomorrow.

Also, slight forewarning: I'll going to do some compare and contrast character art styles with Batman characters whenever the Dark Knight is involved with the plot starting with this review since B:TAS is the starting point of the DCAU, but I'm gonna try to limit myself to one character per episode/movie. There are gonna be some exceptions, of course, but for now, let's start the review and compare and contrast art styles.

Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman

~Out of all of the DCAU movies I know about, this one is definitely the one I have the least knowledge and experience with. I don’t know where it takes place continuity-wise in the DCAU, I don’t remember seeing any trailers or commercials for it growing up, and I don’t see a lot of people talk about this movie to the point where it’s probably the black sheep out of the entire DCAU movies. So, with this review I’m going to hopefully analyze why this movie is the most forgettable out of the bunch.

~Decent passing subway train opening to start things off.

~For going at 80 miles per hours, this sure doesn’t feel like a pair of fast-moving vehicles… must be the music/animation.

~I don’t blame the nameless criminals for immediately assuming it’s Batman with the familiar symbol… but I do kind of have to shame them for not knowing that Batman doesn’t wear mostly silver and still doesn’t have easy flight capabilities yet.

~I wasn’t going to fully explore music scores until Batman Beyond… but I will make an exception right now since the music doesn’t have the same kick to it that most other action scenes I’ve seen involving Batman’s escapades. It feels too soft and gentle and yes, I know it’s because Batwoman is doing the action, but you can still make action-packed theme for a female protagonist.

~The action scene involving Batwoman and the two vehicles with these criminals isn’t too bad, but, again it feels a bit subdued because of the quieter music.

~A misaimed laser blast doesn’t exactly count as the Bat Signal… but in this case, it works when Batman and Robin are out on patrol.

~Back to the vehicle fight scene and like Batman, I’m just merely observing Batwoman’s actions at this point.

~So it’s okay for Batwoman to use a laser bazooka and not okay for Batman to use any kind of deadly firearm… yeah, that makes sense.

~Okay… the music I definitely heard was definitely supposed to be Batwoman’s theme… a sort of mysterious smooth seductress jazz-like theme… and it doesn’t feel right compared to the other themes I’ve heard from the DCAU.

~And now title sequence with the soft music...

~I agree with Bruce that Batwoman couldn’t possibly be an old foe with a new look like Selina. This is definitely someone new.

~Oh Alfred, even amidst the quieter music your snark is still the best.

~Meanwhile, Rupert Thorne looks to be making a deal in both card playing and mob mentality in Penguin’s latest hideout.

~Not a lot of dialogue, which I appreciate, amongst a lot of details with Penguin’s hideout.

~Time for our first official art comparison to the first Timm style and the second with my favorite Batman villain: The Penguin.

What works so well about Oswald’s first look is that he perfectly looks like a grotesque gentleman that wants to fit in with society.

Comparing that with the second style… I do appreciate that he does look classier, but loses a bit of his grotesque figure by making him a tad skinnier. Like most of the second art style changes to me, it’s average at best.

~I dunno, Penguin, I think Bat people are attracted to Gotham because it’s almost constantly night and real-life bats do like doing their activities at night.

~I didn’t know Penguin worked with Lex Luthor offscreen at one point considering he’s all about profit right now.

~Hi… Maxine Gibsons’s design!

~It’s weird seeing this conversation between John Stewart’s voice and Puff from Static Shock’s voice.

~Did Not John Stewart just imply that he wants his own daughter killed after that conversation?

~Okay, the news actually makes a smart observation that Batwoman could possibly just be Batgirl grown-up.

~To be fair, Bullock, Batman will get a dog much later in life after you’ve long retired.

~Please don’t encourage the Bruce Wayne/Barbara Gordon shippers Tim…

~Please don’t encourage the Bruce Wayne/Barbara Gordon shippers Barbara…

~I cannot headdesk or facepalm hard enough regarding Bruce and Barbara’s romantic relationship at this point.

~Thank you Bruce for realizing that the phone call went down south real fast.

~This information woman definitely has the smarts to be Batwoman… but none of the grace, style, nor action skills to be her.

~I guess LexCorp did form a solid enough partnership with Wayne Enterprises if they got hold of the same stuff that would one day make A.M.A.Z.O.

~Apparently, Bruce was so amazed by the tech he asked info woman out on a date to discuss using the tech for his “silent partner”.

~It’s important to pay for your meal before you go out on hero patrol.

~I didn’t know Bullock watched Star Trek. You learn something new every day apparently.

~I guess Renee Montoya either got promoted or moved to another district with the fact that Bullock has a new partner equal to her competency.

~Ad suspension of disbelief is officially shattered with the Gotham P.D. not recognizing that part of the keychain they apprehended has the same symbol as Penguin’s new business hideout.

~Man, Batwoman arrived on the hideout WAY faster than the Dynamic Duo did.

~I honestly don’t know why people bash on Tim Drake so much when he makes a good Robin replacement.

~Geez, Batwoman, overkill much with preparing to blow up the dang building?

~Escape and chase simultaneously.

~Uh… Batwoman just because they were making arms for Kaznia doesn’t mean they weren’t going to sell them illegally. I mean, they probably were, but you just assumed that and just blew the building up because you didn’t like that.

~Batman asks some legit questions to Batwoman… but Batwoman responds in the best way possible: “You’re the great detective. Figure it out!”

~I’m surprised Batman tailed Batwoman for so long as he did.

~Batman tracks down Batwoman to Not John Stewart’s place. Well, that isn’t suspicious whatsoever.

~At least Batman knows better not to interfere with family matters.

~The next morning, Not John Stewart and Not Puff talk about what happened last night.

~Alfred: “Exactly what is it you hope to discover?”
Bruce: “What a beautiful young woman does in her free time.”
Alfred: “A pleasure drive then?”
What is it with this movie and the sexuality?

~Snooping eventually turns into shopping apparently.

~That is a line I never expected from a random henchman bodyguarding a teenage girl: “I miss working for the Joker.”

~Seriously…. what is it with this movie and the sexuality?

~Yeah… getting away from bodyguards is never that simple.

~Okay, I definitely don’t blame that one random henchman for saying his misses working for the Joker now with what he just went through.

~Does… Kathy not know she’s joyriding with Bruce Wayne, billionaire playboy of Gotham?

~Oh, after the joyride she apparently does know who Bruce is.

~Backstory motivation time!

~Oh good the two didn’t kiss. I’m pretty sure Kathy is the same age as Barbara which would mean their romance would just be as awkward to watch as Bruce and Barbara’s.

~A kiss on the cheek… I’m okay with that, so long as there is no definitive lip lock.

~I will admit Kathy does have the right motives, athleticism, and insider info to be Batwoman, but I don’t think she has the technical know-how judging by the fact that Carlton keeps her unsubtly sheltered.

~Business talk with Thorne and Penguin whilst Batwoman does some snooping nearby.

~Well that went poorly for both sides.

~And after Thorne approves of Penguin’s hired hitman, we get a shot of Kathy’s backside in a bikini coming out of a swimming pool. *sigh*

~What game is Roxanne playing with Tim? Looks like He-Man and the Master of the Universe for PC.

~Glad to see Roxanne is kind of adorkable.

~I don’t know why… but Roxanne’s apology to Kathy seems kinda suspicious.

~Meanwhile, Bullock and Alcana are snooping on Kathy as per Batman’s request.

~Attractive Iceberg Lounge singer…. What even is up with this movie and that blatant sexuality at this point?

~Unsurprised that Penguin would buy a mob boss’s daughter her first parasol.

~Bruce is suspicious of Kathy that she intentionally brought them to the Iceberg Lounge where she knows a good chunk of the patrons are her father’s henchmen. Kathy, understandably, does not like this idea.

~Unsurprisingly, Penguin hired Bane to take care of Batwoman.

~Hey Batwoman just used the shape-shifting alloy Roxanne demonstrated earlier in the movie! Is Roxanne Batwoman? Unlikely since she doesn’t have the right dexterity. She’s more than likely working together with Kathy with that odd apology scene earlier.

~I love that Penguin’s waitresses also double as his bodyguards.

~I should like this fight between the waitresses and Batwoman… if it weren’t for the fact it’s blatantly fanservice-y as hell.

~Seriously, one of the reasons Penguin is my personal favorite Batman villain is he can super weaponize umbrellas.

~Batman finally here to break up the ruckus… and fight henchmen patrons apparently.

~Yeah… don’t blame Batman for getting sneak attacked once he sees Batwoman getting away and then sees Kathy is outside the ladies’ restroom.

~”Must’ve a heck of a floor show.” No kidding Bullock.

~Thank you, random henchman, for breaking up the potential lip lock between Bruce and Kathy.

~Batman meets up with Alcana to discuss the previous encounter with Batwoman… with Alcana showing adept proficiency with a Batarang.

~Now Alcana gets some backstory motivation… she’s also teaming up with Kathy and Roxanne in being Batwoman, aren’t they?

~Now Bruce suspects Roxanne… even though we’ve previously seen she doesn’t have the right dexterity to be Batwoman.

~Now some backstory motivation for Roxanne! As well as somewhat confirmation that Supergirl is around.

~Huh… Roxanne was right. She’s not the same person we think she was.

~Now a confrontation conversation between Roxanne and Batman.

~Thorne, Penguin, and Duquesne meet up with Bane whilst Batowman listens from afar...

~Bane definitely hasn’t lost his touch. His accent maybe, his touch definitely not.

~Roxanne has an alibi for being Batwoman at one moment. Keywords: one moment.

~Roxanne and Kathy meet with Batwoman. Yup, two out three called its, just waiting for that third one now…

~And there’s the third strike with Batwoman unmasking herself to reveal Alcana.

~Meanwhile Batman rummages through woman’s clothes to find clues. I’ll just assume he’s done this before then.

~Okay, I’ll admit it was smart of that random henchman to not call out and/or attack Batman in Kathy’s room. That was both clever and funny.

~Robin finds no connection for Roxanne and Kathy in the Batcomputer, but Batman finds it via Kathy’s sketchbook: Sonia Alcana.

~Batwomen powwow.

~Lotta emphasis on the final confrontation cruise liner.

~Looks like Kathy as Batwoman is about to enact the plan flawlessly. Too bad Bane says no to that.

~I know it makes sense that Penguin is doing all of his plans this movie purely for profit, but the plan is a definite major step down from Mr. Freeze’s in Sub-Zero and Andrea Beaumont’s in Mask of the Phantasm.

~Batman encounters Sonia to affirm her connections to Kathy and Roxanne.

~Sonia’s reason for doing all this: revenge against Thorne. Kind of a step down from Kathy wanting to get out of the gangster business and Roxanne getting her boyfriend’s name cleared.

~Roxanne calls Sonia to tell her that Kathy’s in trouble. Only one person in Gotham can save her now.

~Oh this unmasking scene should be kind of good since Kathy’s about to be revealed to be Batwoman to her daddy.

~Practically perfect Calling the Old Man Out from Kathy.

~Penguin realizes that Kathy isn’t working solo because he observed that she was at the Iceberg Lounge and demands to know who else is involved… unless she wants to see get her dear dad get broken by Bane.

~Luckily Batman is here to stop Kathy from revealing she has two additional partners in crimefighting.

~Three on one… not good odds for Batman right now since one of those three is Bane.

~Kathy may be handcuffed but she can still defend herself.

~Geez, going a little trigger happy with that laser rifle, aren’t you Thorne?

~Okay confirmed: Kathy, Roxanne, and Sonia made three identical Batwoman costumes with three hi-tech Bat Gliders and three voice modulators.

~Oh dear… Thorne, Bane, and Penguin are going to hold daddy Duquesne hostage for the bomb Batman presumably snatched…

~Or Kathy could’ve somehow gotten the bomb while handcuffed and is still going to blow up the cruise liner with her dad still on board.

~Thank goodness that Roxanne Batwoman and Sonia Batwoman stop Penguin and Thorne from escaping a ship that’s about to be blown up.

~You know… it makes sense that Bane would be the final villain Batman faces in this movie whist Kathy rescues her dad.

~What is it with the DCAU movies having the climax being on something that’ll eventually explode? First, we had the exploding World Fair in Mask of the Phantasm, then we had an exploding oil rig in Sub-Zero, now we have an exploding cruise line, and coming up for me movie-wise we have an exploding airship and an exploding abandoned candy factory.

~Random henchman A: “Abandon ship?”
Random henchmen B: “Ya think?!?”
Despite the blatant fanservice and predictable reveal of Batwoman’s identity, the dialogue of this movie is gold.

~Guess Sonia and Roxanne weren’t fully able to stop Penguin and Thorne from escaping. Luckily, Robin’s still piloting the Batboat.

~I guess Sonia got knocked out too hard by one of the explosions and now Roxanne has to go and stop Thorne and Penguin alone.

~Uh-oh, Bane got serious by using his strength serum.

~Welp… Kathy’s in an awkward place now. At least her dad was able to save her using a nearby life preserver and rope.

~Thorne is still a little too trigger happy with the laser rifle.

~Meanwhile, Batman apparently doesn’t have any Batarangs on him to do cripple Bane on a ship like he did previously… but he still has Roxanne’s shape-shifting alloy to disable him and cut him off from his serum.

~Crashing, exploding, and on fire ship… what a way to go for Bane… if this was indeed his last appearance timeline-wise that is.

~I guess Sonia recovered enough from her blow to save Batman just in time.

~Oh dear, Sonia’s definitely off the Gotham P.D. now that she’s in her unmasked Batwoman costume.

~One last confrontation conversation between Batman and Sonia as she’s leaving the Gotham P.D.

~Roxanne and Kathy meet up and discuss the latter’s situation as well as their relationship with Bruce Wayne.

~Roxanne is reunited with her boyfriend and Kathy is reunited with Bruce.

~And one last bit of romantic sexuality before the movie ends proper.

~Hey an after-credits sequence/short! That’s new! Might as brief review that as well before giving final thoughts. Here’s Catch Me.

~Bruce Wayne being a playboy.

~Bruce asking Alfred for help with the swarm of ladies.

~Bruce meets Catwoman doing her cat burglary. Catwoman attacks/traps Bruce and resumes her task.

~Catwoman gets away and Bruce escapes.

~Catwoman does parkour. Then meets Batman.

~Catwoman does more parkour and Batman follows.

~Catwoman tries to stop Batman by crashing a dairy tanker. Comedy ensues with alley cats and Bullock with donuts.

~Batman finally snags Catowman on top of a train as they’re about to go through a tunnel. Catwoman somehow escapes in the dark tunnel.

~Batman tracks down Catwoman to the Gotham Zoo.

~Catwoman essentially lets a panther loose on Batman.

~Batman fights off the panther. Catwoman releases lions to attack Batman.

~Batman escapes being a gladiator victim and tracks down Catwoman to the Aviary.

~Actual bats chase Catwoman alongside Batman who finally catches up to her.

~Catwoman tries to escape but Batman uses ninja stars to trap her.

~Catwoman gives up her spoils and notices the damage the panther left on Batman.

~Catwoman tries to kiss Batman, he initially refuses but Batman does kiss her when he sees how sad she is.

~The police arrive and Batman smiles at Catowman as he takes her spoils. Catwoman smiles and is about to escape… only for her to realize that Batman sneak handcuffed her to the zoo’s bars.

~Bruce looks out the window despondently and he’s approached by a new woman… who appears to be Selina Kyle. Credits.

I’d like to give my thoughts on the short first before reviewing the movie proper. It was fun, quick, and displayed near everything perfectly with no audio outside of the music cues. A definite watch to be sure.

However, I cannot say the say the same thing for the movie itself. The movie suffers from too much backstory motivation from the three Batwomen and too much sexuality because the fact there is heavy focus on women and sexuality this time around. For the former this isn’t too big of a deal because the backstory motivations for each of the three individual Batwomen are short, sweet, and to the point, but for the latter, it’s often times distracting and takes away from the serious mood that the movie is trying to present itself with. That isn’t to say the movie isn’t bad, in fact, as I’ve said throughout the review there are plenty of clever moments and lines of witty dialogue in the movie and the action was fairly decent. It’s just that the moments, dialogue and action are overshadowed by the fairly weak plot, over sexuality, and odd smooth jazz music accompanying it. I mean the smooth jazz music works very well in the Catch Me short, but littered throughout the actual movie? It doesn’t feel right and the movie suffers because of it.

As for the acting, the major standout roles are Kevin Conroy as Batman for trying to take this movie as seriously as possible despite the over sexuality, Kevin Michael Richardson who just owns Carlton Duquesne’s commanding role, and the convincing and believable voices of the four Batwomen: Kimberly Brooks as Kathy Duquesne, Kelly Ripa as Roxanne Ballantine, Elisa Gabrielli as Sonia Alcana, and finally Kyra Sedgwick as Batwoman.

In general, compared to Mask of the Phantasm and Sub-Zero, Mystery of the Batwoman is the odd duck because it tries to be part of the DCAU continuity by adding laser rifles and small references and details that would transition to Beyond… but they feel unnatural and forced when it’s overshadowed by three different backstory motivations for the Batwomen, fairly weak but convincing enough villain motivations, and over sexuality. I’d say watch it at least once mainly for the Catch Me short.