Home Menu

Menu

Old October 18th, 2016, 01:58 PM #21
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Back then, folks tended to have terrorism in fiction as freelancers, or guys like COBRA instead of the fanatics you hear on the news nowadays. Also with Batman's surprise at Red Claw's identity, everyone was as they knew of the leader but not that it was a woman. Even Gordon said the feds were surprised to learn that the female was deadlier than the male this time. Speaking of which, Red Claw was voiced by Kate Mulgrew, 2 years before she became Captain Janeway.
Dragonwolf Ranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 02:49 PM #22
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

RangerSentai wrote: View Post

The Cat and The Claw: Part 1 (NBSA theme/intro: 6)

~Catwoman also has a pet cat named Isis… I see what you did there, writers.
You do know the Islamic State group didn't exist back then, right?

Okay… pet owners, answer me this, is there a cat whistle like there is a dog whistle?
Not as widely available, but they do exist.

Mainly because their hearing is good enough to pick up simple calls or respond to dog whistles.

It’s weird to see playboy Bruce Wayne blush and go gaga over someone. Usually it’s the other way around.
Because at one point in history, contrary to multiple revisionist histories, Bruce Wayne was a normal human being.

Terrorism… in the 90’s… Oh… hindsight…
It's pretty much exactly the same, just now it's been horrifically racially profiled.

This is slowly turning into a Captain Planet episode… except written decently.
It is interesting and saddening that most environmental messages aimed at children were rarely written decently.

The Cat and The Claw: Part 2 (NBSA theme/intro: 7)

~I could make a ninja Batman counter… but it’s probably a little too late for that factor now…
You do know Batman is a ninja, right? That's like making a Power Ranger Tommy counter.

A Bat-Glider? Geez, Bruce must’ve set those plans on the flying suit pretty low on his to-do list.
Because they're hard work. Any ninja can make a hang glider.
hasbro_primo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 03:38 PM #23
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

So... my plans were to try and finish the first season of B:TAS before Halloween so that I could have Mask of the Phantasm review on Halloween, but thanks to ridiculous work scheduling, the Feat of Clay two-parter is instead going to be the Halloween review... which I think is better given my reaction to it. By the way, Mask of the Phantasm is still going to be done after the first season is over, hopefully before Thanksgiving.

See No Evil (NBSA theme/intro: 8)

~I seem to have picked a VERY convenient time to review B:TAS because the beginning of this episode is so Halloween-ish that it’s both hilarious and unsettling.

~Seriously, you could mistake about half of B:TAS’s episodes as Halloween themed because this one has a little girl talking to an invisible man.

~A jeweler’s convention? Isn’t that a bad idea to have when a lot of Gotham’s criminals like to strike in broad… er… daylight for lack of a better term?

~Woah… the animators were on top of their game with this random dude’s invisibility suit.

~Of course Bruce Wayne would be attending the jeweler’s convention because rich and paranoid.

~For once, I don’t blame the police on guard for not doing anything because, quite honestly, how do you stop someone doing criminal activity when you can’t see them?

~I love that Batman just opens the bathroom door all dramatic-like.

~Definite creative part on the animators to have the lone construction guy eating his sandwich move is eyes front left to right, questioning in his head “Is Batman talking about me or did I miss someone?”

~The best way to reveal an invisible thief: smoke and paint.

~Well… Bats did put in a good effort, but I guess he never saw how advanced the invisibility suit’s tech was.

~Floating/detached heads are ALWAYS unsettling.

~Geez… I’d never imagined that the team of B:TAS could make an overprotective/possessive dad creepy and unsettling.

~Haven’t seen major Mood Whiplashes like this since my ZeXal reviews… only this time THEY WORK.

~Aren’t meal breaks usually supposed to be half an hour tops? Or do certain Gotham employees get special privileges?

~Dang… that confrontation… just… dang…

~The Cloak of Invisibility? Was the guy also working on the Resurrection Stone and the Elder Wand?

~The inventor died… well, that’s both plot convenient and ironic given the Harry Potter motifs.

~Slow buildup involving Batman doing his usual silent ninja detective work before the payoff of him being stopped by a storage shelf.

~DC scientific explanation of invisibility plastic.

~Batman: “Last question: do you mind if I took some of this with me? I’m thinking of adding invisibility to the ultimate suit I have in mind and I think if perfected, the plastic will greatly benefit it. I will give you my notes on the perfected plastic once it’s done.”

Giddell: “Sure, knock yourself out.”

~A lot of good effective music choices for this episode.

~Geez it was unsettling enough for a small child to be walking around with an invisible dad she’s hardly ever known at night, but for him to reveal just his head from the invisibility suit and her to run away makes it even more unsettling.

~Batman’s thoughts: “The plastic works on vehicles too?!?! I need to go back and ask for more after this is all over so I can add it to the Batmobile or the Batplane or both. There’s an idea: the Batmobile doubling as a plane. Oh yeah, he disappeared right before me along with the car. Gotta be careful.”

~There’s that Mood Whiplash again…

~It’s hilariously awesome that Batman is on top of a speeding invisible car.

~Batman can’t fly yet, random bum.

~This has to be my favorite chase scene yet, mainly because it’s over-the-top hilariously awesome.

~Very nice touch of the car slowly becoming partially visible via the debris.

~Only one major complaint about the finale of that chase scene: how exactly did the car remain partially invisible when the guy escaped from it?

~Water also works on invisibility suits too, apparently.

~Very nice way to end the entire episode.

Beware the Gray Ghost (NBSA theme/intro: 9)

~Really respect this old school black and white T.V. introduction to the Gray Ghost.

~Well… that’s definitely one way to introduce the Mad Bomber.

~And… sudden shift to color! That was very abrupt.

~Geez, three explosions starting off an episode. That’s almost a new record.

~Really loving the parallels between present day and the flashback of young Bruce watching the Gray Ghost.

~Oh hai Adam West.

~How many explosions is this episode going to have?!?! Well… at least they’re used more effectively than any of the special effects in the DC Extended Universe movies.

~This is all WAY too coincidental… which was probably the point when they made this episode. Major kudos.

~And Batman/Bruce Wayne finally connects the dots.

~Ah… the powers of plot convenience: the one thing every hero, except maybe Deadpool, can’t properly fight against.

~I’m kinda with Alfred. I don’t watch regular T.V. anymore because the Internet has all the shows and almost all the backlog of episodes and other various entertainment I need nowadays.

~However, in some cases plot convenience works out for our heroes when it’s relevant to the story… except maybe for Deadpool.

~Geez… the parallels between Simon Trent and Adam West seem almost too real…

~Ah the room trashing scene: very effective and powerful if used correctly.

~An actor selling his own props and materials that made him famous just to get by… Not only is this very depressing and sad, but it makes me surprised Bojack Horseman hasn’t done this yet.

~That look on Trent’s face when his sees his Gray Ghost memorabilia is back in his room is the best.

~It’s not every day when a real-life hero asks for help from an actor who plays one on T.V./film.

~I don’t blame Trent for remembering one particular episode when almost all of them were lost in time. It’s almost like the lost Doctor Who episodes when people can’t remember the exact details of episodes like what happened after the First Doctor regenerated into the Second.

~Not lying, but all of these sudden random explosions are indeed surprising me every single time.

~Dang… that collection of lost episodes… almost brings a tear to my eye…

~Wow… Batman saying that Simon Trent is not the Gray Ghost is almost equivalent to any old school Ranger fan saying to any Neo Saban Ranger that they aren’t a Power Ranger…

~Really love the juxtaposition of present Bruce watching the Gray Ghost in color with young Bruce watching his inspiration and idol in black and white.

~I love that Bruce’s reaction to what’s causing the explosions in both the T.V. show and real life is a “You’ve Got to Be Kidding Me!”

~Okay… firing at remote-controlled toy cars filled with explosives: not exactly Jim Gordon’s best plan of action.

~Flamethrowers aren’t exactly an improvement, Batman.

~Batman’s look at the toy cars coming his way is both scary and hilarious.

~The Gray Ghost Strikes Again!

~Gotta respect that professional courtesy Batman and the Gray Ghost have.

~This is the second hilariously awesome chase scene I’ve seen this review set where Batman and the Gray Ghost attempt to out speed remote-controlled toy cars filled with explosives.

~Of course Batman would blindfold the Gray Ghost’s goggles before he let him into the Batcave.

~I see amongst Batman’s shrine of Gray Ghost memorabilia is a poster photo of the Gray Ghost posing in a similar fashion to one of Batman’s poses. Very nice touch there.

~Well… that’s a plot twist I didn’t see coming at all!

~Woah… double plot twist!

~Geez… Mad Bomber must truly be mad if he’s willing to blow up his own hideout.

~Another juxtaposition here… this shopkeep is the other side of the spectrum when it comes to admiring the Gray Ghost as he’s using the Gray Ghost’s inspiration for his own selfish needs while Bruce used the Gray Ghost’s inspiriation to become Batman, the hero who stops people from going too far like obsessive fanboy here.

~Looks like playtime… is over.

~Really great end to an episode essentially dedicated to Adam West.

Prophecy of Doom

~Huh… upbeat jazzlike music… didn’t expect that.

~Another explosive? I’m all exploded out after last episode. Can’t we take a break from the explosives for a bit?

~Well… it’s not exactly the Titanic… or the Poseidon…

~Nostromos? Really? Well… they certainly got the young knockoff Nostradamus look and name right.

~Yeah… I’m not going into big details about higher powers, but I will say if there are any higher powers, they certainly love screwing around with people a lot.

~I’ve seen way too much Yu-Gi-Oh! to associate Nostromos with all the fake psychics and actual psychics with just his dialogue alone.

~Yeah… most of the in-show audience may be amazed at Bruce’s glass shattering, but like Bruce I have the hunch something fishy is afoot.

~Definitely not the time for Batman to believe in actual magic.

~I kinda see where the show is going, but for now I’ll play along with the players.

~Well… that was kinda predictable…

~Oh come now… acid on the ropes? That’s just overkill!

~So… where was Bruce hiding the full suit and utility belt on his person and how exactly did he have enough time to change into Batman before the elevator crashed?

~That was a short rooftop chase.

~I really like that people are able to switch on and off personas at the drop of a hat in the DCAU.

~Hook, line, and sinker for Batman… not so much for Nostromos.

~Yeah… this “Great Fall” does not sound at all like a pre-planned Great Depression on Nostromos’s part to scam money out of people…

~Welp… it is now obligatory for me to use this clip…

~Okay… I get it already…the Earth will be torn asunder, 2012 is going to happen, and the end is nigh. Stop essentially repeating yourself, Mr. phony psychic.

~You know… for an episode about people being paranoid about the future, it’s oddly predictable in a lot of its plot points, as Bats points out.

~Yeah… you got scammed Ethan… HARD.

~More explosives? I thought I said to stop with the explosives for a bit…

~It’s not every day you hear the original Dark Knight to pull out a witty one-liner.

~You know… this climax would be a lot more effective if I didn’t already know there were going to be even more explosives involved. Just saying.

~I don’t think you fully understand the gravity of your situation Lucas.

~Huh… no kaboom… I appreciate that climax a lot more now.

~And we end with a lesser known Shakespeare quote.
RangerSentai is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:53 PM #24
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

See No Evil (NBSA theme/intro: 8)

~I seem to have picked a VERY convenient time to review B:TAS because the beginning of this episode is so Halloween-ish that it’s both hilarious and unsettling.
The thing about Batman is it's rare when an episode doesn't convey some scary tone appropriate for the holiday.

Seriously, you could mistake about half of B:TAS’s episodes as Halloween themed because this one has a little girl talking to an invisible man.
See?

A jeweler’s convention? Isn’t that a bad idea to have when a lot of Gotham’s criminals like to strike in broad… er… daylight for lack of a better term?
If we stopped doing things criminals could disrupt, Gotham would just be one big pit in the ground.

Of course Bruce Wayne would be attending the jeweler’s convention because rich and paranoid.
So you're shaming him for being a smart hero?

For once, I don’t blame the police on guard for not doing anything because, quite honestly, how do you stop someone doing criminal activity when you can’t see them?
The last thing you want is an innocent person getting hurt, so attacking invisible targets is the worst idea imaginable.

Geez… I’d never imagined that the team of B:TAS could make an overprotective/possessive dad creepy and unsettling.
Really? Overprotective and possessive dads are creepy all by themselves.

Aren’t meal breaks usually supposed to be half an hour tops? Or do certain Gotham employees get special privileges?
I've seen employees take 90-minute lunch breaks on a regular basis. Depends entirely on the employer.

Beware the Gray Ghost (NBSA theme/intro: 9)

~Really loving the parallels between present day and the flashback of young Bruce watching the Gray Ghost.
This is how it's done, third and fourth seasons of Arrow.

Oh hai Adam West.
Best episode ever.

It’s not every day when a real-life hero asks for help from an actor who plays one on T.V./film.
With Fox Kids Spider-Man soon to follow the trend.

Okay… firing at remote-controlled toy cars filled with explosives: not exactly Jim Gordon’s best plan of action.
Hey, keeping them from blowing up under you is always a good plan of action.

Of course Batman would blindfold the Gray Ghost’s goggles before he let him into the Batcave.
Which itself was an allusion.

Really great end to an episode essentially dedicated to Adam West.
And before he died, which is much more respectful if ya ask me.

Prophecy of Doom

~Yeah… I’m not going into big details about higher powers, but I will say if there are any higher powers, they certainly love screwing around with people a lot.
Is this about the New Gods?

I’ve seen way too much Yu-Gi-Oh! to associate Nostromos with all the fake psychics and actual psychics with just his dialogue alone.
Fortuno, Espa Roba, technically Mai... yeah, there are a lot of them, aren't there?

Definitely not the time for Batman to believe in actual magic.
Yeah, that can wait until Circe turns his girlfriend into a pig.

So… where was Bruce hiding the full suit and utility belt on his person and how exactly did he have enough time to change into Batman before the elevator crashed?
Batpole. No context needed.
Old October 31st, 2016, 08:23 PM #25
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Do you wanna know what I think the scariest thing this Halloween has to offer? The fact that 2016 is still a thing.

Feat of Clay: Part 1

~The title isn’t bad enough to be included on the Really Bad Pun counter.

~I gotta say, I really respect these slow buildups the series has at times to give you a sense that what’s about to happen is going to be big.

~That reminds me… who IS the new head D.A. after Harvey transformed into Two-Face? That actually has me curious now.

~Geez… Kevin does a fantastic evil Bruce… which is arguably scarier than any version of the Joker.

~Well… it’s obvious that the Bruce talking to Lucius is fake because Batman just showed up and Terry hasn’t been born yet.

~A decent and brief enough fight scene to get things across.

~Again, it’s okay for Batman to use a gun so long as he doesn’t shoot something deadly out of it.

~Well… things don’t look too good for Bruce now.

~Meanwhile… at not Universal Studios…

~Wait… did… I just see the water tower from Animaniacs in the background of Imperial Pictures? Or is that just me?

~Gotta love that the background of Matt’s trailer feeds us information on his backstory.

~WOAH…

~I kind of respect that information on character’s backstories is given in a way that feels like it’s new to us, but also familiar to the people already involved in a mostly natural way.

~You know… it never occurred to me that Ed Asner has an almost naturally sounding evil voice until now.

~Okay… thanks to Amazon Prime I can indeed confirm that Imperial Pictures is indeed modeled after the Warner Bros. studios from Animaniacs from that brief look at the water tower earlier. So, I think I can thank Amazon Prime for giving me useful bits of information like this from time to time.

~Okay… that’s… kinda scary of how Matt instantly transformed into Bruce in almost the blink of an eye.

~That’s… a bad idea you have right there, nameless henchman.

~This… won’t end well…

~Batman is so busy that he barely has time to keep track of Bruce Wayne’s life.

~Haven’t had the video glitch on me for a while on Amazon Prime either…

~Apparently, Batman also can hack police radio signals…

~Yeah… you kinda forgot that tunnels have two sides, Mr. henchman.

~Shooting a gun at a plane barely big enough to fit into a tunnel… that’s also real smart there

~I’m sorry but I can’t help but laugh at the idea of a car skewered upon the Batplane’s front edges flying above Gotham.

~This scene should be epic, and it sort of is… but I can’t help but laugh at some of it’s ludicrous moments.

~Seriously… this interrogation is funny, over-the-top awesome, and scary simultaneously.

~I don’t blame the guy for fainting because… that was the most hardcore, yes strangely hilarious, interrogation I’ve ever seen.

~Yeah… bad idea on Bruce’s part to visit Lucius in the hospital after an imposter broke the guy’s trust in him.

~Matt Hagen is no more. Enter Clayface.

Feat of Clay: Part 2

~Last time: Bruce Wayne was arrested, a hardcore and hilarious interrogation, and a man somehow becomes living silly putty. Coming up, a potential trial for Bruce, an interrogation that’s somehow more intense, yet still hilarious, and silly putty man getting revenge.

~Uh… why do you need to take photos of a criminal’s back? Yes, I know the only thing most people see from criminals is their back, but it seems odd to me that for the sake of police records you need to take a photo of potential suspects’ backs.

~The idea of Batman getting out of a limo sounds hilarious. Seeing it… not so much.

~Yeah… hate to break it to you, Daggett, but Wayne’s rival Powers has more potential of seizing a hostile takeover of the company than you could ever hope to think of.

~Yup… this is definitely the perfect Halloween-based two-parter based on that one look from Daggett’s face alone.

~Backstory time!

~It’s… almost kinda creepy of how Matt can do an instant quick change like this and his not sidekick thinks it’s a miracle rather than a curse.

~And Matt brings up the reality of the situation.

~Really? The suffocation via pillow method of killing? That’s… kinda tacky… just saying.

~And that’s what you get for trying to make a pillow into a murder weapon, nameless henchman: you get your pants scared off by Batman.

~No not germs, anything but germs! Seriously though… a few episodes ago… germs were legit scary, this time… it seems a little silly.

~Batman just threatened a germaphobe… with seawater… I love this series sometimes.

~This… fight will not end well for Bats…

~Well… good effort of Batman’s part to try and lasso Clayface, but I guess he forgot for a moment that he’s living silly putty.

~Man… I feel bad for Matt’s partner now… he’s trying to look out for his friend and he’s being treated as though he were in an abusive relationship by Matt.

~It’s not enough that Bruce Wayne had to disguise himself as a janitor, but he also has to dress up as Batman as well!

~Well… I saw that coming… but honestly, I’d probably have the same reaction the studio audience has right now to the fat woman transforming into a mud man.

~The bullets probably wouldn’t have worked, but Hagen just wanted to be safe.

~Clayface is officially born.

~Not much to say about the climactic fight, aside that it’s really good.

~Ah… the ol’ psychological warfare strategy.

~Holy… yikes… the animators went all out on Hagen’s breakdown… it’s almost like he’s an Ace Attorney villain now.

~Well… I’ll give the animators more credit… at least they didn’t show off Matt’s more “private” parts during his crazy transformation breakdown.

~Very nice touch that the last face before Matt transformed back into full Clayface was his own disfigured one when this whole thing started.

~Well… nothing to say about the ending other than… Cut, print, that’s a wrap.

Last edited by RangerSentai; November 11th, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old November 1st, 2016, 12:48 AM #26
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

Feat of Clay: Part 1

~Geez… Kevin does a fantastic evil Bruce… which is arguably scarier than any version of the Joker.
No, it's absolutely scarier.

Again, it’s okay for Batman to use a gun so long as he doesn’t shoot something deadly out of it.
Dude's had a grappling hook gun for decades.

You know… it never occurred to me that Ed Asner has an almost naturally sounding evil voice until now.
You clearly missed his Granny Goodness...

Apparently, Batman also can hack police radio signals…
If there's a version of Batman that can't do that, I'd be worried.

Feat of Clay: Part 2

~Uh… why do you need to take photos of a criminal’s back? Yes, I know the only thing most people see from criminals is their back, but it seems odd to me that for the sake of police records you need to take a phot of potential suspects’ backs.
Courts of law need everything they can get.

Batman just threatened a germaphobe… with seawater… I love this series sometimes.
Well, when the phobia of bats won't do...

Well… I’ll give the animators more credit… at least they didn’t show off Matt’s more “private” parts during his crazy transformation breakdown.
Even a non-kids' show wouldn't have done that.
Old November 16th, 2016, 09:38 PM #27
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

It’s time for another edition of Good Idea, Bad Idea.

Good Idea: Doing a set of B:TAS reviews after watching Doctor Strange (2016).

Bad Idea: Doing a set of B:TAS after watching the results of the 2016 Presidential Election.

Joker’s Favor

~Slight heads up, this is one of the very few episodes of B:TAS I have indeed seen, partially thanks to Doug’s top 11 Best episodes of B:TAS.

~Traffic is almost always a bitch, whether you’re driving your own vehicle or on public transport.

~I feel for this average Joe very much since I too feel like life gives me nothing but grievances, even when I try to do some good to the world.

~Poor Charlie chose a very bad time to try and screw life back…

~You know… if had my own car and driver’s license and I ran into a well-known criminal driving out on the street, I’d probably have the same reaction as Charlie right now…

~You really shouldn’t have said you would do ANYTHING to convince Joker not to kill you, Charlie…

~Charlie essentially just made a deal with the devil, but he has no idea when the metaphorical devil wants his die of the bargain fulfilled.

~I’m not entirely sure a public testimonial is a big deal either like Jim, but if Batman says it’s okay then it must be cool to go to one.

~Ah, the premiere of Harley Quinn, one the most famous of DCAU’s Canon Immigrants.

~Hey, another nod to Tiny Toon Adventures!

~Poor Charlie…

~Oh dear… the Witness Protection Program failed against the Joker… that’s super unnerving…

~You could try and make a makeshift Bat-Signal if you really need the Dark Knight’s help, Charlie.

~Yeah… always try to get more details about what you’re doing and how you’re going to end up afterwards doing it because Joker’s words were vague as hell.

~I know you probably haven’t been in Gotham for a while, Charlie, but Joker’s ALWAYS been nuts.

~Again, I’m with Jim, I’d rather be anywhere else other than this fancy party celebrating my own successes.

~Told ya so, Charles.

~Bullock and Montoya would make a good reality cop show for Gotham…

~Harley doesn’t do much with her first appearance, but she does make a very good first impression.

~At least Harley is considerate about Charlie’s well-being.

~Joker… not so much since his vague words ring back on Charlie by not revealing specific details.

~How can you tell that the explosion came from outside, Joker? Wait… he probably has extensive knowledge of how explosives works. Okay… never mind, carry on.

~Ha ha… hindsight on Harley’s backstory…

~That brings up the question of why they would recreate a Mayan temple as accurate as possible, right down to the booby traps…

~You know… after the events involving the Mad Bomber, I’m only half reacting to big explosions to series now.

~Oh dear… Joker created someone as crazy as he is by essentially exploiting the Witness Protection Program…

~This is not the first time that Batman will laugh at the Joker’s expense… or that someone will be as crazy as the Joker due to his influence…

~You do realize you have to fly back, right Charlie?

Vendetta

~A dark rainy day? Clearly we’re in Seattle!

~Of course there’s a bomb on the boat, why wouldn’t there be?

~Why can’t we have this kind of snarkiness in the modern DC movies?

~So… where did Bats park the Batboat/Batsub?

~Haven’t heard from Thorne in a while since the whole Two-Face incident. Wonder what he’s been up to…

~Convenient timing for both Bats and Bullock.

~The World’s Greatest Detective! He can find a toothpick!

~Anyone but Aquaman! He scares me the most!

~I never pictured Rupert Thorne as the gardening type… but then again most villains aren’t what they seem to be most of the time.

~Hot on a rainy day while in a greenhouse with a broken window? Sure, why not?

~Batman’s interrogation techniques are crazy intense.

~Yeah… Bullock may look and act like comedy relief, but he doesn’t seem like the type of guy who would work for guys like Rupert Thorne.

~That is definitely not Bullock, nameless cop. He may have his signature hat, coat, and physique and he sort of sound like him too, but there’s no way that’s Bullock.

~Anyone but a Harvey Bollock cosplay!

~No… I’m not doing any gay jokes. None whatsoever. I’ll point them out, but there’s no way I’m typing any gay jokes.

~It’s not every day you see a famous person visit an aquarium and shout out “Of course!” for no particular reason.

~I instantly like the DCAU Killer Croc more than the DCEU one mainly because I can actually understand what he’s saying.

~Thinking about it… Killer Croc does sound like a wrestler name… which makes me really want to see Stan Lee’s wrestler Batman vs Killer Croc as a wrestler.

~Oh yeah, Bats couldn’t let two criminals escape from under his watch, even if they’re minor and/or need rescuing.

~So… from carnie, to wrestler, to criminal… that’s an interesting life Croc has lived.

~Everyone dislikes the sewer levels…

~Alternate backstory to Doctor Strange: there’s a massive power outage and he crashes into a light pole causing his hands to be injured and he then starts on the path to become Sorcerer Supreme.

~I don’t think home field advantage will help you much, Croc.

~And there’s the alternate ending for the battle against the Sewer King…

~Two different forces of good that are No So Different…
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:58 AM #28
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

Joker’s Favor

~Ah, the premiere of Harley Quinn, one the most famous of DCAU’s Canon Immigrants.
THE most famous.

Now that Suicide Squad's come out, she's probably in anybody's top 10 DC Comics characters.

Bullock and Montoya would make a good reality cop show for Gotham…
Bullock could do it all by himself.

Vendetta

~Why can’t we have this kind of snarkiness in the modern DC movies?
Because DARK

Batman’s interrogation techniques are crazy intense.
That was the whole idea of becoming a bat, after all.

I instantly like the DCAU Killer Croc more than the DCEU one mainly because I can actually understand what he’s saying.
And because he's creepy instead of just bossy.

So… from carnie, to wrestler, to criminal… that’s an interesting life Croc has lived.
Ah, The Animated Series really made me love characters before the rest of their adaptation history made me forget why I did...
Old November 30th, 2016, 03:27 PM #29
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Oh my god Mimikyu is SO GOOD battle-wise, like almost Aegislash good... this guy is like my favorite Pokemon of Gen. 7 hands down because of how you can make a non-traditional Pika-clone SO GOOD in battle when your opponent doesn't have Mold Breaker or any other Abilities/ moves that instantly break through its Disguise... Oh yeah… Batman…

Fear of Victory

~Brian Rogers is also secretly Steve Rogers’ estranged cousin in the DCAU.

~One of the things I absolutely respect about the DCAU is that they perfectly blend in the right amount of humor within serious events as shown by a black-and-white newsreel of sports bloopers juxtaposed to a guy essentially about to gain a chance to go pro in sports.

~Well… that telegram guy absolutely does not look suspicious whatsoever.

~Okay… it might be just me… but I’ve worked football games before, including college football games… and this stadium setting does not feel like it’s football. Maybe it’s the fact that I see that some of the audience is dressed super casually.

~And suddenly… the players turn into monsters for Brian!

~I’m pretty sure you can’t just jump into the playing field like that to check on the players because of security, but suspension of disbelief and all that nonsense.

~Oh hai Scarecrow.

~Diamond necklace dropping in front of a moving Batmobile: unsubtle as you can get.

~Robin, afraid of heights? Something’s definitely wrong considering Robin is currently Dick Grayson, a trained acrobat.

~Yeah… definitely not a good impression on Dick’s technically second appearance.

~You don’t typically see lighthearted moments like Batman crashing into a woman’s apartment and leaving casually while said woman is in shock but immediately swoons over the Dark Knight in modern DC movies.

~One of my biggest concerns with The Lego Batman Movie is that it’s going to be the opposite extreme of the DCEU movies with heavy focus on comedy and very little focus on serious moments. The DCAU is, again, where you see serious and silly intermesh with each other almost perfectly.

~Using cats as test subjects, Batman? Selina would have a field day if she saw you doing this.

~Scarecrow’s behind all this? I never would have suspected whatsoever.

~Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t most prisons serve food almost equivalent to what you had in grade school?

~So much continuity in these cells. My favorite is the Joker playing solitaire.

~Really respect the Joker’s laugh once Batman finds out Scarecrow’s been replaced in in his cell by, essentially, an actual scarecrow.

~So Scarecrow’s latest scheme is…fixing sporting events for profit? Seems like a major step down from the last one, but then again, I suppose all major schemes need some monetary backing to them. Crane’s probably using this scheme for an even bigger scheme.

~Yeah… the best way to face your fears is definitely not to tackle them head on most of the time.

~Sometimes Batman and Bruce Wayne also mesh together perfectly to the point where you can’t tell who is really who.

~While Scarecrow’s complaining about his game plan changing, I’m seeing that this football game is more accurate to real life than the last one.

~So… now that Scarecrow’s gambling scheme has all but failed he now plans to make sports fans into crazed lunatics? Um… there’s not gonna be much of a difference there, Mr. Crane…

~I really love that the in-show’s audience and commentary almost mirrors real life watchers’ reaction to watching this episode.

~Dick: “Nah. I think I’ll e-mail him later.”

The Clock King (NBSA theme/intro: 10)

~No relation to Eloch Quentis Khamer VIII.

~Speaking as someone who’s used to riding public transportation, “late” buses are now the norm.

~Wow… maybe my Bravely Default/Second reference is more accurate than I thought it was.

~Well… Hill is not wrong about his statement considering my knowledge of Fugate’s whereabouts in JLU.

~I love that Fugate’s secretary is shocked at her boss’s orders to put coffee in a thermos.

~That’s some really bad luck for you there, Fugate.

~Wow… all of the irony…

~Flash forward to 7 years later at 8:57 A.M.

~Let’s not blame the traffic signals and instead blame each other!

~You know… that poster of goofy demon Hill saying “Time for a change” is actually somewhat accurate to the recent election results…

~Bruce Wayne enters a building normally; Batman jumps out of it from an air vent.

~Who knew super timing skills would be useful against the Caped Crusader?

~ All incarnations of Alfred in any animated or live-action Batman have all been cast really well to the point that there is no bad Alfred performance.

~I love that Bruce has a crime computer in one of the cars Alfred uses to drive him around in just in case.

~Oh Fugate, you are a man ahead of your time when it comes to politics.

~It’s very easy to see why Fugate would be the strategic planner for Task Force X later on.

~Time for Batman to pull a MacGyver.

~This is why you have digital schedules for railways now, Mayor Hill, instead of saying the train will arrive in an instant.

~That is the worst-case scenario for anyone riding any railways…

~Close call there, Bats.

~For being a stern and serious timekeeper villain, Fugate can ham it up just as well as the Joker.

~So… where did the cut on Batman’s suit go?

~Fugate is putting up a pretty good fight against Batman.

~Yeah… spoilers: Fugate survives.

~Batman saved the major in the nick of time… I’m sorry…

~Preparations for a future encounter…

Appointment In Crime Alley (NBSA theme/intro: 11)

~Hey it’s Daggett again. Wonder if he brought his older brother Norbert to this episode…

~Geez… that explosion was more unexpected than most of the ones involving the Mad Bomber!

~Bruce Wayne FANSERVICE!

~Am I crazy… or are parts the plots of these recent episodes more and more coinciding with real life events that’s it’s almost scary?

~More time references after dealing with a time-based villain.

~Gotta respect slow but steady buildup.

~Oh my… a black mother and her daughter are being threatened to move out of their house by angry white people… This IS unintentionally mirroring real life…

~The world needs a Batman… both real and fictional.

~Seriously, B:TAS… when did you become so relatable in recent times?

~45 minutes until the big kaboom Daggett wants so much.

~How exactly does one schedule an appointment with Batman? Do they talk to one of Bruce Wayne’s employees first?

~Yeah… progress is good and all, but you can’t just progress for the sake of progress. There has to be a bigger meaning behind it all other than making a mini-mall or a giant wall...

I just crossed this episode over with real life again, didn’t I?

~Batman has multiple priorities.

~Don’t question Batman how to do his job.

~Okay… going in the opposite end of real life events, while this guy is indeed justified that Daggett did him wrong, he’s also doing wrong by threatening to kill a Daggett employee who probably has a good heart.

~Batman doesn’t work for anyone… at least not yet, technically speaking.

~So… is Batman’s cape like the Invisibility Cloak in that it can cover multiple people whenever the plot says so?

~Oh… that’s sweet in that Bruce thinks of Leslie as a surrogate mother/grandmother after his parents died.

~Exposition hobo is my new favorite one-off character.

~I’m guessing Daggett hired Fugate for a while which is why Fugate had all those resources on hand and Daggett is now borrowing a time-based scheme of his that was in the making.

~Oh yeah… I forgot that even Batman has to obey traffic signals from that one episode of Justice League.

~Did... that trolley driver suffer a heart attack? Man, the writers must have really been hard pressed to come up with another saved in the nick of time situation…

~I love that even Batman knows that this is going to be another nick of time save after seeing the bad traffic accident.

~You know... I just now noticed that the DCAU tends to reuse a lot of plotlines and ideas… but reuses them in creative and unique ways that I can’t really complain too much…

~Okay… no way in the world that save would work in real life… but it was still pretty darn cool.

~Bruce thought to add in all the security features for protecting the Batmobile from thieves… but not from little kids?

No… I’m never gonna let that one go. Ever.

~Wait… J. Olsen and Sons Photographic? The Olsen family had a business practice in Gotham as well? Mind. Blown.

~Batman knows all criminals and their doings like it’s the morning news.

~Welp... Daggett’s speech is all the explanation I need to know why Trump was elected.

~That… was not what I expected to happen. At all. Kudos for defying all my expectations.

~Leslie sums up everything on 2016: “Let it go. (…) There’s nothing you can do now.”

~Beautiful ending.
Old December 1st, 2016, 02:36 AM #30
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

Fear of Victory

~Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t most prisons serve food almost equivalent to what you had in grade school?
If schools serve sucky food, then yeah.

Yeah… the best way to face your fears is definitely not to tackle them head on most of the time.
Only if you're a wuss.

The Clock King (NBSA theme/intro: 10)

~Who knew super timing skills would be useful against the Caped Crusader?
Everyone.

Most of Batman's genius and fear induction stems from timing.

All incarnations of Alfred in any animated or live-action Batman have all been cast really well to the point that there is no bad Alfred performance.
You are correct, sir.

Appointment In Crime Alley (NBSA theme/intro: 11)

~Hey it’s Daggett again. Wonder if he brought his older brother Norbert to this episode…
Wait for the TV movie, it just looks tacky otherwise.

Am I crazy… or are parts the plots of these recent episodes more and more coinciding with real life events that’s it’s almost scary?
The world went nuts, man. We just copied the cartoons.

How exactly does one schedule an appointment with Batman? Do they talk to one of Bruce Wayne’s employees first?
You call on the red phone, man.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 08:49 PM #31
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Kinda upset that the only rematches you get are with the Elite Four and whoever's you opponent after you become champion in Sun and Moon. Not to mention the SOS system needs to be revamped majorly if Stars is coming out later...

For now... a two-episode review while I do some final touches on Mask of the Phantasm and the review(s) afterwards.

Mad As A Hatter (NBSA theme/intro: 12)

~First thing I see: mice/rats wearing bellboy hats. No context necessary!

~And some guy is forcing the bellboy rats/mice to drink tea through mind control. Again, no context is needed!

~There’s the context!

~Does Bruce have investments to every business in Gotham? Also, nice touch with the random office sound effects in a science lab.

~Oh dear… Jervis did not take the news well that Alice had a boyfriend… it sounds like I’m talking gossip now…

~Yeah… some people say that talking to yourself may look like you’re crazy, but it’s also a good self-coping mechanism… but in this case, Jervis is indeed crazy for saying out loud he’s going to maybe hijack Alice’s mind to make her love him to his lab rats/mice.

~I love that Jervis has the best Cheshire Cat grin, perfectly fitting in with his Alice in Wonderland theme, once he finds out Alice has essentially broken up with her boyfriend.

~Well… at least Jervis didn’t try to woo Alice with “You’re late, you’re late! For a very important date… with me!”

~Criminals with brass knuckles? I can’t decide if that’s cliché for storytelling or standard for Gotham city…

~Mind controlling cards… now Jervis could fit in with Yu-Gi-Oh! as well…

~We all need an Alfred-like person in our lives, let’s be honest.

~Rocket-powered ejector seat?!?! That’s hilariously awesome!

~The least likely line you’ll probably ever hear in Batman: The Animated Series and South Park: “Gotta do what Mr. Hat says.”

~Batman after the rough landing; “Really need to get started on the ultimate suit’s blueprints soon.”

~Okay… I’ll be honest in that I only know most of the basics of the story of Alice in Wonderland so I had to Google the 10/6 meaning behind the cards Jervis put on people’s heads.

~There’s a Storybook Land park in Gotham? Why do I get the feeling this story will somehow get crossed over with Jack & the Beanstalk?

~Holy cow, I’m psychic! Okay… now cross over with Rumpelstiltskin!

~There’s a turtle in Alice in Wonderland? Adaptations must’ve missed that character appearance because reasons…

~So… what role does Batman play in this not Alice in Wonderland styled story? The White Rabbit for irony purposes?

~Well… it looks like the Mad Hatter will be living up to his name in the most apropos of ways once he finds out Alice is back with Billy.

~Oddest wedding proposal night ever.

~And now Mad Hatter has become Queen of Hearts in a sense.

~Alice sums up the situation perfectly once Batman shows up: “This is getting too weird.”

~Had to Google up how a walrus and a carpenter fit into Alice in Wonderland… apparently, they’re both connected to the Tweedle Twins.

~It’s not every day where you see a superhero fight a guy in a walrus costume and a guy in a carpenter costume.

~I guess to make up for the lack of shrinking and growing, they make the excuse that Jervis’s cards increase people’s strength and taking them off put’s them back to normal.

~I really need to read Alice in Wonderland one of these days just so I can fully understand most of these obscure characters…

~You really need to read the book again, Jervis, because I’m pretty sure the Queen of Hearts is grand ruler over Wonderland.

~Captured by the Jabberwocky…a fitting defeat.

~That ending would’ve made a lot more sense to me if I read the story…

Dreams in Darkness

~Batman in Arkham Asylum? Welp… interest already peaked for the idea of this episode, even though there’s already a video game based off said idea as well.

~So… these shrinks think Batman is crazy… when he’s spouting off what sounds like valid questions and concerns…

I want to know who runs Arkham Asylum because their hiring process is… questionable at best considering Harley’s backstory later on in the series…

~Ah… Bruce’s mental thoughts of how he ended up in the nuthouse.

~I can’t help but laugh at this ridiculous device this henchman has on him.

~No! Not steam to the face when I’m wearing goggles!

~Red smoke… that doesn’t look good…

~Seeing Joker in the Batcave instead of Alfred is practically almost all the explanation needed why Batman is narrating to himself why he’s now in Arkham Asylum.

~Hallucinogenic fear water… why does this sound very familiar?

~I love the look on Batman’s face when the doctor says she has an antidote for him that will knock him out for two days.

That’s the look of someone who can’t have two full days off for fear that the city will collapse in on itself if he wasn’t around for that small period of time.

~Okay… Bats seeing Joker in the Batcave wasn’t fearful enough to me because I know the future of Batman events… but Batman running over Robin on the freeway… that definitely caught me off and is legit scary.

~A weird psychological reason why not to take off Batman’s mask.

~Okay… the psychiatrist makes a point that if it is Scarecrow, I’m assuming it’s Scarecrow, who’s doing this hallucinogenic fear water plot, then there’s no way he can do it alone… but again, Batman Begins begs to differ with the involvement of the League of Shadows and Ra’s al Ghul… so your argument is invalid nameless psychiatrist.

~Seriously… who hires for Arkham Asylum?!?! The psychiatrist is stupid for assuming no one could run a scheme this monumental while inside the place when it’s been previously established that you can easily put in a dummy in your place to conduct your plots outside of it and no one else will be the wiser. I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that if that could happen, then one can also conduct a task that makes everyone in the city super scared and paranoid. Think outside the box you idiot shrink!

~”Constant watch”… That hasn’t stopped Jonathan Crane from escaping you moronic excuse for a psychiatrist…

~I… I just… not enough face or palm…

~Surprise, surprise. Scarecrow is indeed the mastermind.

~Trippy dream sequence?

~Well… that was a very unique way to interpret that famous scene of when Bruce lost his parents at least…

~Uh… psychiatrist… I know you’re trying to help and all, but we’re talking about a situation where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few here. You have to let Batman go stop the Scarecrow otherwise we’ll have mass hysteria amongst Gotham.

~I don’t blame Bruce for trying to bust out of Arkham now because of how incompetent the staff is.

~Okay… rat Joker… also legitimately creepy.

~Joker summoning a giant Penguin who’s head then pops off to reveal Two-Face’s… All of the points for sheer creativity.

~This is almost literally equivalent to the recent Doctor Strange movie in terms of visuals now.

~Love little attentions to details sometimes.

~And now Bruce thinks he’s facing off against zombies?

~No, not loud whistling! Anything but loud whistling!

~Why did you even brag that you have backup controls, Crane? For cliché purposes?

~More clichés!

~Scarecrow driven mad by his own gas… how apropos.

~Nameless guards: “No guarantees, boss.”

~Nothing to fear… except incompetent employees.

Last edited by RangerSentai; December 4th, 2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:08 PM #32
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

~There’s a turtle in Alice in Wonderland? Adaptations must’ve missed that character appearance because reasons…
The Mock Turtle is one of the many characters the animated Disney movie cut out, though some might've, but it's been a bit.

~Had to Google up how a walrus and a carpenter fit into Alice in Wonderland… apparently, they’re both connected to the Tweedle Twins.
Recall in the Disney movie, they tell Alice the story of the Walrus and the Carpenter. Will admit, besides a few animated versions Nickelodeon used to air on their Special Delivery block way back when, the original Disney movie is the only Alice in Wonderland adaptation I've seen from start to finish, and it's been over 20 years since I watched it last.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 11:57 PM #33
> ⚡TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

TeraMan
Monster Rider Mod

Yeah there were two official Alice stories: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and the sequel Alice Goes Through the Looking Glass. The Disney movie kinda mashes together both of them. Tweedle Dee and Dum are originally from Through the Looking Class. The Queen of Hearts is a mash up of the Queen of Hearts from Wonderland and the Red (Chess) Queen from Looking Glass.

Adaptations pick and choose which of the two works to keep and which to leave behind, but rarely straight adaptations of one or the other.
TeraMan is offline     Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 03:19 AM #34
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

Mad As A Hatter (NBSA theme/intro: 12)

~Does Bruce have investments to every business in Gotham? Also, nice touch with the random office sound effects in a science lab.
Yes, he does.

Part of being a good detective is wedging yourself in other people's business, and there's no better way than by doing actual business.

Yeah… some people say that talking to yourself may look like you’re crazy, but it’s also a good self-coping mechanism… but in this case, Jervis is indeed crazy for saying out loud he’s going to maybe hijack Alice’s mind to make her love him to his lab rats/mice.
Questioning yourself is never a problem.

Answering yourself is when it's time to check into the looney bin.

Criminals with brass knuckles? I can’t decide if that’s cliché for storytelling or standard for Gotham city…
I'd rather get beaten than shot.

Mind controlling cards… now Jervis could fit in with Yu-Gi-Oh! as well…
Sounds like something out of Leon Von Schroeder's deck...

It’s not every day where you see a superhero fight a guy in a walrus costume and a guy in a carpenter costume.
Pfft, Darkwing Duck did both.

Dreams in Darkness

~Batman in Arkham Asylum? Welp… interest already peaked for the idea of this episode, even though there’s already a video game based off said idea as well.
Because it's always the best idea.

I want to know who runs Arkham Asylum because their hiring process is… questionable at best considering Harley’s backstory later on in the series…
My favorite was the guard who became a villain.

Scarecrow driven mad by his own gas… how apropos.
I feel like this happens every time Scarecrow is defeated.
Old December 14th, 2016, 06:06 PM #35
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

Well... this certainly took a while mostly because Pokemon and partially because Legacy of the Duelist is now on Steam. However, despite the delays... here it is...

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

~I want to preface each movie review I do with what exposure I’ve had to the movie since its first trailer and release. I mostly know of this movie through Doug’s top 11 underrated Nostalgic classics, Erod’s short review on it, and other word of most from Internet critics as pretty much a must see so I’m mostly hyped for this.

~Operatic Latin chanting in tune with the B:TAS theme? I now know I’m going to love this movie.

~The visual effects for Gotham in the intro are very appealing and the score is definitely the finest I’ve heard until we get to Justice League… and I haven’t seen any of the characters yet. This is going to be really good.

~Batman having a problem with counterfeit bills being used for gambling? Must be a regular August in Gotham.

~You can definitely tell by the animation alone that this was meant for a direct-to-video release… but has the quality of a theatrical release. It’s almost like a perfect blend of the two.

~I don’t blame this nameless henchman for mistaking what looks to be the Grim Reaper for Batman since they both are figures that work best under the cover of darkness.

~Silly henchman trying to run over the Grim Reaper.

~Okay… I don’t blame this councilman for thinking Batman is a vigilante since his mostly keeps to himself and does things his own way… but simultaneously because the Caped Crusader mostly keeps to himself and does things his own way he not only figures things out twice as fast as the Gotham P.D. he’s also more effective, efficient, and in sometimes humane.

~I don’t know who’s snarkier: Bruce Wayne or Alfred Pennyworth.

~I’m with Alfred in not understanding the scientific mumbo-jumbo.

~Exactly how many old flames has Bruce Wayne had over the years in all the various series he’s had? This is a legitimate question.

~Ah… the obligatory rich person party because rich.

~I guess the “e” word for that random flirty woman would “entimacy”.

~Ooh… this Andrea Beaumont must be something special is Bruce says to nameless councilman to stick his handkerchief up his you-know-where.

~Very nice scene transition of Bruce looking up at a portrait of his parents sadly to Bruce at his parents’ grave.

~Ah… talking to the dead because you miss them that much… *sigh* RIP late grandma…

~I can definitely see why Bruce would fall for a woman like Andrea just from that meeting in the graveyard alone.

~Yeah… Bruce before he donned the mantle of the Bat and was just a guy who looked like a burglar trying to stop other burglars would not be very intimidating, admittedly.

~Is that a younger Harvey Bollock seeing a young Bruce Wayne dressed as a burglar trying to stop other burglars? Well if it is, major props on attention to detail.

~A hammer? Really? Guess Bruce hasn’t gotten enough badass points yet to think he can just punch through that windshield. That or he doesn’t have the right materials for good gloves yet.

~Eh… I give that early escapade a 7 out of 10. Not the best, but not the worst either.

~Of course criminals wouldn’t be afraid of someone who looks almost exactly like a cliché version of themselves. Did you even look at what you were wearing when you tried to stop those criminals, Bruce?

~Holy cow… now I think I’m in love…

~Step away from the making out along with your freshly squeezed lemonade, Alfred.

~Meanwhile in the present… girls who don’t hold near enough of an interest to Bruce that Andrea did.

~Criminals don’t care for one another even if they’re dead, apparently.

~Really respect that the next time this Grim Reaper-like character shows up in-story, that it’s in a graveyard at night. Sometimes clichés work if they done effectively.

~Falling into an open grave and when he gets back up, Buzz sees an angel statue before him and what’s essentially the Grim Reaper coming after him. Holy cow… this sounds super cliché… but it works out so well that I don’t care.

~Oh… my… freaking…

That guy just straight out died. Not implied death like the henchman at the beginning, but full visual crushed to death by an angel statue in an open grave. Jeez…

~Yeah… if I were an elderly criminal mob boss who found out that another younger mob boss just died a horrific death, I’d react that exact same way.

~You know… that’s actually really clever to use the Bat Signal to try to contact the Dark Knight to see if he is indeed killing these criminals.

~Batman doing some detective work in a graveyard then visits his parents grave… only for a somewhat similar scene to occur.

~Well, Andrea figured out who Bats was pretty fast.

~I don’t know why but Batman snooping in on one of his old flame’s current life from afar with binoculars is just hilarious.

~Flashback to older times at Gotham’s World Fair.

~You know… considering my knowledge of Batman Beyond… this “World of the Future” exhibit is mostly accurate.

~I love that the car of the future Bruce is seeing is basically the Batmobile colored brightish red.

~Bruce is already considered part of the Beaumont family… in another timeline definitely.

~Even though there’s a happy encounter… the ugly darkness of Gotham soon rears its head.

~Bruce hesitates in bringing criminals to justice because he promised to not get too roughed up in front of Andrea.

~I really like that there’s potential for Bruce Wayne to be happy… but with slimy creeps, criminals, and mostly constant darkness surrounding Gotham, Bruce realizes he has to choose between a selfish life of happiness with someone he truly cares for or a life where he pursues villains of all brands and sorts so that others like him won’t suffer the same fate he did growing up.

~Flash-forward to the present where we see what choice Bruce made…

~Hey that councilman knows that elderly mob boss. That is not surprising whatsoever somehow.

~Detective work then a possible date with an old flame? Definitely sounds like Bruce Wayne.

~Didn’t think we’d get another flashback so soon.

~Holy… Bruce actually thinking about getting married… Andrea is definitely a very special woman then.

~The moment Bruce says he’s changing his plan is also the moment when he sees his future animal spirit.

~The next day while exploring the bat cave… heartbreak.

~And with Andrea telling Bruce that she can’t marry him… Bruce dons that famous costume and cowl with almost no hesitation…

Bruce Wayne is no more. Batman has taken his place.

~Ooh… that old World Fair grounds looks like it definitely needs to be replaced by something else sometimes soon.

~Joker sure knows how to make an entrance in the movies.

~Mark Hamill has his best Joker performance in Return of the Joker, IMHO… but in Mask of the Phantasm you can tell he definitely brought his A game.

~Yeah… making any sort of deal with the Joker is a terrible idea… but he is the ultimate last resort when it comes to dealing with Batman.

~I love that Andrea is unfazed by seeing Batman in her bedroom. She knows it’s Bruce under the cape and cowl and she’s talking to him like this is their first conversation in years.

~And almost as soon as Batman leaves, Andrea drops her alcohol glass on the ground and cries on her bed. Truly tragic indeed.

~Go figure that the Joker got to Sal before the metaphorical Grim Reaper did.

~Batman’s first encounter with the Phantasm is via Batplane patrol.

~Too bad the police weren’t fast enough to see who the real culprit behind the criminal murders were and just assumed the worst.

~Ladies and gentlemen: the ending of The Dark Knight in more detail.

~Best chase sequence I’ve seen yet.

~Alfred knows when and when not to be involved with Master Bruce’s love life.

~The fateful night before Andrea changed her mind…

~Yeah… something tells me that the Phantasm isn’t Andrea’s dad because there’s no way he could put up a decent fight against Batman… so the only person left who has a reason to go against those mobsters and put up a decent fight against Bruce would be Andrea herself.

And with the knowledge of Batman Beyond or more specifically the Justice League Unlimited episode Epilogue… yup, that’s definitely the case.

~Stop walking in during make out sessions, Alfred!

~It’s not a matter of Bruce vs. Andrea’s father… but Bruce vs. Andrea… or rather the Batman vs. the Phantasm.

~So that’s why Joker was acting all super chummy with that elderly gangster…

~I’m not gonna argue with Joker saying that the Phantasm looks like the Ghost of Christmas Future/Yet to Come because a. the Ghost of Christmas Future/Yet to Come is supposed to be implied to be and inspired by the Grim Reaper and b. he’s the Joker, you argue against him and, at best, you receive an electric shock and, at worst, you die.

~Holy cow… that laugh transition…

~First the Joker, now Batman… tough break for you councilman.

~I’m honestly surprised Bats got a decent amount of information while forgettable councilman was under the effect of Joker’s laughing gas.

~I’m not sure if Joker was calling Andrea or Batman during that scene. It’s difficult to discern.

~Andrea’s dad is dead? Well… that is good confirmation that she is the Phantasm, but arguably her brief moments in JLU’s Epilogue are better.

~That… was kind of a weak reveal of Andrea being the Phantasm… but I guess that was the general idea.

~Ooh… kick to the nuts… Joker’s not going to have another one of those for quite a while.

~An eggbeater is definitely not one of Joker’s best impromptu weapons. However, the bologna was kinda effective

~Took near the end of the movie for Joker to bring out the bad puns. I’m legit impressed he had that kind of willpower.

~Very impressive rescue!

~No words can describe the conversation Batman and Andrea have after the former rescues the latter.

~Oh yeah, there’s still a couple minutes left in the movie and the Joker hasn’t been stopped yet.

~A brief moment to see the base idea of Batman vs the Joker kaiju-style.

~And now there’s a time limit because cliché and only so much left in the movie.

~Here I thought I wouldn’t be reviewing Batman fighting in midair until Beyond.

~Well… I did say the World Fair did needed to be replaced… just not like this…

~Yeah… spoilers: Andrea survives and so does the Joker… somehow.

~Well… technically Andrea pulled herself out of the metaphorical abyss, but still…

~You know… if I already didn’t know that Andrea survived… the scene where Bruce finds her locket in the Batcave… somehow… would be a lot more emotional.

~Farewell, Andrea… until me meet again in Epilogue…

~And we end with a slow buildup into the operatic Latin chanting in tune with the B:TAS theme once again as Batman looks up into the skies of Gotham to see his signal as he grapples onto his next venture.

I had a lot of expectations going into this movie blind and most of them were pretty much met. The scale is definitely grander than anything else I’ve seen from any episode of B:TAS thus far from the music to the animation and even the plot. There was almost never was a single scene wasted on details that would been seen in past and future episodes/incarnations of Batman.

However, and I hate to say this, there are flaws involving the movie. The major twist of Andrea being the Phantasm was fairly easy to see, even if you haven’t been spoiled to future events of the DCAU. Hell, the movie never even refers to alter-ego as the Phantasm to the point I had to call her the Phantasm in my review so suddenly when they weren’t going to identify who she was. I also feel like there’s a bit too much plot convenience involved. So, because Andrea’s father owed a ton of money to the mob including the Joker pre-transformation, that was the reason she had to bail out on her marriage with Bruce leading him to finally take the mantle of the Batman? I get that the writers wanted more of a reason for Bruce to become the Dark Knight other than the usual dead parents’ backstory, but the way they told it felt a little forced and rushed. Not to say that the romance behind Bruce and Andrea was bad, it was very genuine and heartfelt… just somewhat awkwardly written. Also, no explanation of how Andrea’s vanishing act works kind of bothers me. The story as a whole though was very good. Batman being mistaken for a killer and chased after the police was definitely the highlight since it felt like an expansion of the ending scene of The Dark Knight movie.

Finally, the performance of each character was spot on. Kevin Conroy does a fantastic rendition of Bruce Wayne trying to decide if he should or should not become the Caped Crusader. Dana Delany makes Andrea Beaumont’s character and story work excellently considering she’s also part of the DCAU voice acting alum. Hart Bochner did a good job portraying Councilman Arthur Reeves… the problem is his character was kind of forgettable for the most part until the end where does a fantastic insane laugh. Stacy Keach Jr. was very convincing as Andrea’s father and as the voice of the Phantasm to the point that you kind of want to believe that Carl is the Phantasm… until you see the plot hole of Phantasm putting up a decent fight against Bruce. Abe Vigoda was in this? He played the elderly mobster too? Well damn… that makes way too much sense when you think about it now… Dick Miller and Jon P. Ryan played those other two mobsters that got done in by the Phantasm… nothing too memorable about their performances… Efrem Zimbalist Jr. continues doing a fantastic Alfred Pennyworth. Robert Costanzo didn’t do too much playing Harvey Bullock and so did Bob Hastings as Commissioner Gordon during the film, but their performances were still solid. Last, but not least, Luke Skywalker as the Joker… I read somewhere that Mask of the Phantasm was when Mark Hamill pretty much mastered his Joker performance… and you know what… that is totally believable in every sense of the word.

Overall, Mask of the Phantasm is definitely a must see if you plan on watching the entire DCAU, not just in terms of future plot, but past as well since this dives into a different sort of origin of why Bruce became the Bat.
Old December 14th, 2016, 06:33 PM #36
> hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

hasbro_primo
Net Brutality

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

~I don’t know who’s snarkier: Bruce Wayne or Alfred Pennyworth.
And that's why they're perfect for each other.

Exactly how many old flames has Bruce Wayne had over the years in all the various series he’s had? This is a legitimate question.
North of 25.

Ah… the obligatory rich person party because rich.
Gotta spend it before the government takes it.

Yeah… Bruce before he donned the mantle of the Bat and was just a guy who looked like a burglar trying to stop other burglars would not be very intimidating, admittedly.
Ah, Spider-Wrestler.

Oh… my… freaking…

That guy just straight out died. Not implied death like the henchman at the beginning, but full visual crushed to death by an angel statue in an open grave. Jeez…
Well, that depends on your definition of "full visual".

It's not like he had blood gushing from anywhere.

Well, Andrea figured out who Bats was pretty fast.
It's always been fairly simple when you're familiar enough with Bruce.

Thing is, very few people that didn't eventually work for Batman have ever become familiar enough.

Took near the end of the movie for Joker to bring out the bad puns. I’m legit impressed he had that kind of willpower.
I like that we can espouse the joking has all been one gigantic coping mechanism.
Old December 31st, 2016, 09:24 PM #37
> RangerSentai
Power Ranger

RangerSentai
Power Ranger

So… it’s been two weeks or so hasn’t it? This wasn’t on purpose on swear! My holiday work schedule has been so overwhelming this year that I wanted to use my time off to relax and destress from the workload. However, I was planning to do reviews on days when I had work eventually like I did back with ZeXal and now seemed a good time as any. Also like tasti before me I’d like to announce my, possible, schedule of reviews for the DCAU for 2017.

2017 Schedule
(exact dates and times to be determined)

Batman: The Animated Series S2
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero

Batman: The Animated Series S3
Superman: The Animated Series S1

Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Superman: The Animated Series S2
Batman: The Animated Series S4
Superman: The Animated Series S3

Batman Beyond S1-S2
The Zeta Project S1

Batman Beyond S3
The Zeta Project S2
Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker

Static Shock S1-S4
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Suicide Squad
As you can see, I’m mostly trying to do this chronologically as best I can whilst also doing some experimental reviews later on once Batman crosses over with Superman. Also, yes: after the entire DCAU is done I was planning to review the three DCEU movies I’ve seen… but just those three. I refuse to do any reviews on any other DCEU movies after Suicide Squad so no Wonder Woman movie, Justice League movie, or anything else DCEU related… I am planning on doing some future review stuff after this whole AU vs EU comparison is all done and over with, but in the meantime, have an adequate 2017 and enjoy the review(s)!

Eternal Youth

~Lady in an orange nightgown fast walking out of a mansion? That’s definitely something you don’t see every day.

~I know the music is supposed to imply that there is a sense of danger… but it doesn’t seem as dangerous when it doesn’t look like this lady isn’t running and rather just fast walking.

~Oh… great… the villain is Poison Ivy… yay?

~Green petrifying smoke? Makes just as much sense as pink energy bubbles…

~Gotta love that exposition that sounds almost like natural conversation.

~Violet and Lily? Well that’s subtle…

~I dunno what’s more awkward from this sales pitch video: the fact that Poison Ivy is going by the alias Daphne Demeter, two names that I know for sure are connected to plants, or the acting from the sales women.

~”Everyone’s gotta gimmick.” You know that better than anyone else, Bruce.

~The butler taking a vacation? Haven’t seen that kind of plotline for some reason.

~I instantly now like Maggie.

~I’m just shaking my head at how obvious they’re making the big reveal of who the villain is for this episode…

~Freaking Clark Kent-esque glasses? C’mon...

~At least Alfred is here to be serious and snarky in a supposedly relaxing setting.

~*raises glass* To a plotline that will be no doubt used better in Batman Beyond.

~Oh no… Alfred is buying into the addictive food and drink…

~How does Bruce do that ninja vanish?

~Well… that clue was obvious and subtle…

~Bruce can tell Alfred is OOC when he’s not being a stiff…

~Definite OOC Alfred for him to kiss Maggie on the cheek when he practically winced at her doing the same to him near the beginning of the episode.

~And Alfred has turned the Batcave into a miniature greenhouse during one random patrol night apparently.

~Oh look at that: Alfred’s time at the Eternal Youth Spa wasn’t such an invigorating experience in the long run. Imagine that.

~Not suspicious whatsoever, the Eternal Youth Spa is.

~Okay… the spa chemicals plus human blood equals plant life apparently.

~Surprise, surprise… Daphne Demeter was Poison Ivy… What a shocking and surprising turn of events…

~The Batarang: can also be doubled as a glass cutter.

~I see Isley is still using that mini-crossbow. Gotta love that continuity.

~Unusual for Bats to willingly let himself be tied up, but then again if I didn’t know what Violet and Lily were packing, I’d acquiesce to them as well.

~Okay… I will grant you that both you and Bats both want evildoers punished… but Batman usually takes on extremists like yourself, Ivy, while you would harm anyone who would even think of eating a salad for lunch.

~Oh… my… Poison Ivy turned people into Groots… except that can’t talk or move!

~ *sigh* Some fun facts about myself for a moment… I was born and raised in Washington State: The Evergreen State… my birthday just so happens to be St. Patrick’s Day a.k.a. the day of green… my favorite color also happens to green… and even I think that Poison Ivy is totally unjustified for going after anyone who would “harm” nature…. Even though “harming” nature is sometimes accidental and mostly progressive.

~I’m with Batman: you are an insane woman, Pamela Isley.

~”Well, if you’re not going to be part of the solution, you’re obviously part of the problem.” Oddly enough, that’s kind of weird logic that the DCEU desperately needs, Ivy.

~Batman: Crazy Prepared for almost any situation.

~Ivy is more than an eco-terrorist Batman: she’s an extreme Captain Planet supporter.

~Defeat via irony will never get old.

~And Batman just accidentally made Gotham’s own Whomping Willow.

~And yet you’re okay with making plant-related puns, Alfred. Go fig.

~I now applaud anyone who chops down your own Christmas trees.

Perchance to Dream

~Another average night for the Caped Crusader.

~Flashing lights plus falling object equals Bruce Wayne waking up from a nightmare? Okay…

~Bruce is with Selina? Weird…

~No secret entrance to the Batcave? Curiouser and curiouser…

~Elderly Wayne parents… okay, either Bruce is having the most realistic dream possible right now from that knockout blow, or this is reality. Either way… this is getting kinda Mind Screwy.

~Here we go… the alternate life story exposition from the faithful butler.

~Okay… I know for sure they address the canonicity of at least two of the DCAU movie in JLU’s Epilogue… so why isn’t Bruce getting married to Andrea in this strange new reality he’s stepped into? I can only think of two major reasons: one, Bruce still thinks Andrea is dead after the events of Mask of the Phantasm thus he thinks marrying Selina is the next best thing, or two, Andrea in is this reality never met Bruce because his parents never died and thus he’s marrying Selina.

~I like that Bruce Wayne and Batman are two entirely different identities in Bruce’s head to the point where he even hears “Batman” he looks up then out the window to see… the Caped Crusader himself.

~It’s oddly surreal seeing Bruce Wayne seeing Batman fighting crime… and yet, I can’t help but think it’ll happen a lot more in the future.

~Selina not knowing who Catwoman is? Kinda makes sense in this reality, oddly enough.

~Leslie? As in the same Leslie who brought up Bruce when his parents died? Geez, this episode is crazy rife with continuity.

~The look of pure joy when Bruce Wayne realizes he’s in a world where his parents never died… is almost sad simultaneously.

~No matter what reality he’s in, Alfred is still as snarky as ever.

~And Bruce can’t read anything in this reality…

~The best solution Bruce has in this reality: talk to Batman!

~My parents worried about me? Sure, I’ll go to them once I talk to myself.

~Love that even in this alternate reality, Bruce still has his Batman athletic skills.

~Let’s chase after the delusional billionaire playboy by trying to climb up this wall instead of using the entrance!

~I do like that Bruce is trying to do… whatever he’s planning to do in the cemetery, the first place where he essentially decided to become Batman.

~So… Bruce called out Batman from the top of that… cemetery cathedral, I guess… Okay… I can kinda understand why he needed the hiking equipment: to climb up the cathedral instead of, you know, the normal way of using the stairs… but what did he need the flare gun and flares for if just yelling out from atop there would’ve just brought out Batman the same way those flares might have?

~Well… this scene is now hilarious in hindsight…

~Bruce Wayne talking to Batman is kinda bizarre… but not as bizarre as Batman fighting against Bruce Wayne.

~I’m surprised the police notice Bruce Wayne more than Batman in that cathedral.

~It kinda makes sense that The Mad Hatter was behind this and not the Scarecrow.

~This explanation is making this episode even more Mind Screwy…

~So… the climax of this episode is essentially an extended version of “I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

~That is an awesome one-liner.

~Uh… technically speaking, you ruined your own life by trying to make your Alice in Wonderland fanfiction reality, Jervis.

~We can only dream of a better reality ahead of us.

The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy

~Already getting a spy movie-esque vibe from this episode.

~This guy took the words right out my mouth.

~Remote activated quicksand in a mini golf course’s sand trap… I don’t watch many spy films, but I can tell that’s super creative for the feel of this episode.

~Wormwood? I didn’t know Matilda had relatives in Gotham… and yet that explains so much…

~Just “The Baron”? Simplistic nickname for a criminal…

~Oh dear… stereotypical Russian accent for The Baron.

~So… none of those party guests were curious at all to look why Batman wanted The Baron? Or did the entertainment suit them well enough?

~And yet… that interrogation was somehow the tamest from Batman thus far.

~So… let me get this straight: The Baron wants Wormwood to essentially unmask Batman because Batman humiliated him… but Wormwood wants to know why The Baron wants the cape and cowl… but The Baron wants to know how Wormwood got the bonds from the beginning of the episode… but Wormwood doesn’t tell him, so instead Baron says he’ll be well paid if he gets the Dark Knight’s cape and cowl with no questions asked?

~Where exactly does Mask of the Phantasm fit continuity-wise if this is the first episode featuring the Bat Signal?

~If I didn’t know any better, I’d say that Wormwood is essentially the predecessor to the Riddler with these cryptic letters.

~Really? Wormwood wanted to trap Batman at a train station to have the ol’ woman about to run over by a train scenario? You went from Bond villain… to Snidely Whiplash… I’m ashamed in you now Wormwood…

~A hologram? Uh… I’m not sure if my respect for you as a villain just increased or decreased now, Wormwood….

~Wormwood, you’re getting paid if you ask no questions on why The Baron wanted the cape and cowl, remember? If you continue to ask, no doubt your pay will be decreased even further than it already is from your first botched attempt.

~Okay… did the creators not have the rights for the Riddler at this point in time because Wormwood just posted another Riddler-esque message on top of a billboard, in his own name.

~And Wormwood is back to the Bond villain styled traps again. Make up your mind on who you are!

~Never thought I’d use this clip again…

~So… why did Bruce never get in the habit of wearing a second mask under his usual mask after this?

~Bargaining is complicated.

~That was definitely a plot twist I didn’t see coming!

~Lotsa buildup…

~ Fight with gym equipment? Somehow that’s still better than a fight with a kitchen sink.

~Huh… The Baron took Batman’s advice to leave town. Good for him.

~Okay… I’ll be honest… this episode didn’t really appeal to me until that ending scene. That ending scene was worth watching the entire episode.

Last edited by RangerSentai; January 3rd, 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old December 31st, 2016, 11:54 PM #38
> Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

Dragonwolf Ranger
Star Force

~Okay… I know for sure they address the canonicity of at least two of the DCAU movie in JLU’s Epilogue… so why isn’t Bruce getting married to Andrea in this strange new reality he’s stepped into? I can only think of two major reasons: one, Bruce still thinks Andrea is dead after the events of Mask of the Phantasm thus he thinks marrying Selina is the next best thing, or two, Andrea in is this reality never met Bruce because his parents never died and thus he’s marrying Selina.
Also this episode premiered in 1992. Over a year before "Mask of the Phantasm" came out, and thus Andrea technically didn't exist yet.
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:56 AM #39
> stealth_ranger
RIP Motörhead: 1975-2015

stealth_ranger
RIP Motörhead: 1975-2015

2017 Schedule
(exact dates and times to be determined)

Batman: The Animated Series S2
Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero

Batman: The Animated Series S3
Superman: The Animated Series S1

Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Superman: The Animated Series S2
Batman: The Animated Series S4
Superman: The Animated Series S3

Batman Beyond S1-S2
The Zeta Project S1

Batman Beyond S3
The Zeta Project S2

Batman Beyond S4
Batman Beyond: Return of The Joker

Static Shock S1-S4
Man of Steel
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Suicide Squad
There is no Batman Beyond Season 4. It only had three seasons, totaling 52 episodes (13, 26, 13).
stealth_ranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2017, 02:49 PM #40
> Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay
Arkvoodle
HEED MY WILL!!!

eBay

I still feel that Wormwood was a poor substitute for The Riddler, or possibly Cluemaster...
Arkvoodle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote