RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old June 30th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #61
ainick
Power Ranger

For those of you that don't know about Mairghread Scott and those of you that are mentioning IDW's Transformers, Mairghread Scott writes IDW's Transformers: Windblade.
Also, I'm really excited about this and hope Mairghread Scott will be on for the long haul.
ainick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:28 PM   #62
Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

FalconRanger11 wrote: View Post

So anyone want to speculate on story lines they'll do? Think they'll do an "Ultimate Spider-Man" with this?
What does that even mean? Ultimate Spider-Man was a drastic retelling of events, MMPR's storyline isn't even remotely complicated.

Zordon gave five kids Power Coins to fight Rita, after that you can do whatever the hell you want.
Ankh Primo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 12:52 AM   #63
Xalfrea
formerly Quantum Wolf

I think people might be getting their hopes up too high if they're expecting Marvel-type stories for PR.

But on the other hand, now's your chance to see that Power Rangers Civil War and have Tommy be character assassinated.
Xalfrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 01:23 AM   #64
ainick
Power Ranger

Quantum Wolf wrote: View Post

I think people might be getting their hopes up too high if they're expecting Marvel-type stories for PR.

But on the other hand, now's your chance to see that Power Rangers Civil War and have Tommy be character assassinated.
Why does Marvel always have to be brought up? Can't you use something else like TMNT, G.I. Joe or Transformers. I don't want this to turn into an argument like what goes on in the Power Rangers movie thread.
Old July 1st, 2015, 01:53 AM   #65
ainick
Power Ranger

Well Power Rangers does kind of owe its existence to Marvel comics in an odd way as:

American Spider-Man--> Japanese Spider-Man--> Super Sentai--> Power Rangers

Well if IDW picked up the rights to Power Rangers, we would be using TMNT etc in comparison.
Uh, while Spider-Man did come first, the first Sentai lasted from 75-77 and Japanese Spider-Man wasn't until 78. So, there is a flaw in your logic.

As far as Marvel, I'm saying it doesn't need to be the standard for everything Power Rangers. Also, the reason I'd rather compare it to Transformers, TMNT and G.I. Joe is I want a similar style of writing, not because of the company, Jeez Wiz. BTW, did you miss my first statement? Mairghread Scott also writes "Transformers" stories for "IDW".
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:26 AM   #66
ainick
Power Ranger

True but as for the whole giant robot vs giant monster concept, it follows that order.

The only reason Marvel was brought up was because it would be cool to see teenagers written like real teenagers like in Bendis' Spider-Man run.
What does giant robots have to do with Spider-Man? Was there giant robots in Japanese Spider-Man? If not then Spider-Man has no reason to be mentioned. Sounds like you're saying that we wouldn't even have even Mecha-godzilla without Japanese Spider-Man.

Also, I guess you're just going to ignore what I said about the the writer, when you're the one that first brought up Transformers and IDW?
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:31 AM   #67
Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

ainick wrote: View Post

Was there giant robots in Japanese Spider-Man?
Yep.

It was the inspiration for Toei's first Sentai with Marvel to use a robo.
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:35 AM   #68
Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

Yes I know she wrote comics about giant alien robots but can she write about real teenagers the way Bendis does?
Wait, are you downplaying the value of giant alien robot stories?

Because the grand majority of those giant alien robot stories are infinitely more compelling than the real teenager stories aimed at the same audience.
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:55 AM   #69
ainick
Power Ranger

Yeah there was.
http://www.lasertimepodcast.com/wp-c...6568986859.jpg

Yes I know she wrote comics about giant alien robots but can she write about real teenagers the way Bendis does?
Ok, you were right about Spider-Man. I'll admit when I was was wrong but I don't really know much about Japanese Spider-Man. I really just didn't want this to turn into a long argument like in the movie thread. I have nothing against Marvel but I get what you are saying about what you want.

I don't know about Bendis either but I watched a live interview with Mairghread Scott less than 12 hours ago. She seems to really care about her characters and does her research really well. she even enjoys doing research. Why does it matter that it's giant robots? They're also living beings with emotions. She also basically created the character Windblade last year and now Windblade has her own comic this year and Mairghread Scott is writing it.
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:09 AM   #70
ainick
Power Ranger

That's good and all but I do like to see her do more than just be faithful and take the characters in new directions.
Yea but those are important things too. Also, my point of the second half of that paragraph is I have faith that she's a good writer since IDW gave her her own series about a character she helped create.

On a side note, she has a passion for writing strong females.

I believe the only thing left to say is, all we can do and wait and see how she does. I have faith in her though.

Edit/Update: I just did some more research and while Spider-Man may have helped influence their decision some it was not the first monster vs. giant robot fight. Mecha-Godzilla was in 74 so it even predates Goranger by a year.

Last edited by ainick; July 1st, 2015 at 04:09 AM.
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:24 AM   #71
tavionjackson
Power Ranger

Sounds like they're keeping things in the continuity which I love. I don't think they'll change anything that was prominent to the PR universe like who was what ranger but they could definitely add characters. Also those covers are amazing.
tavionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 05:43 AM   #72
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

ainick wrote: View Post

Uh, while Spider-Man did come first, the first Sentai lasted from 75-77 and Japanese Spider-Man wasn't until 78. So, there is a flaw in your logic.
But Battle Fever J was the first SUPER Sentai. The two earlier shows Gorenger and JAKQ didn't have giant robots, and were only retroactively included in the franchise in the mid-1990s.
Digifiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:01 AM   #73
ainick
Power Ranger

Digifiend wrote: View Post

But Battle Fever J was the first SUPER Sentai. The two earlier shows Gorenger and JAKQ didn't have giant robots, and were only retroactively included in the franchise in the mid-1990s.
While true, his point of Japanese Spider-Man being the first monster vs. giant robot is false. I'm not saying I know what came first but I know monster vs. giant robot came even before Goranger. The original Mecha-Godzilla was around a year before Goranger.
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:06 AM   #74
WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

What Spider-Man did differently that Sentai then adapted was combining Kamen Rider super hero combat with the giant combat of Ultraman.

It didn't start a monster vs giant robot trend. There were multiple Kamen Rider/Ultraman style shows back in the day.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:11 AM   #75
ainick
Power Ranger

Internutt wrote: View Post

What Spider-Man did differently that Sentai then adapted was combining Kamen Rider super hero combat with the giant combat of Ultraman.

It didn't start a monster vs giant robot trend. There were multiple Kamen Rider/Ultraman style shows back in the day.
FalconRanger believes that the reason giant robot fights exist in Sentai is all thanks to Spider-Man.
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:14 AM   #76
RedRanger87
Somewhere on KO-35

While the Japanese Spider-Man show did not start the giant robot vs. monster trend, it was a direct influence on the incorporation of giant robots in Super Sentai. So yes, you can thank Spider-Man for Megazords.
RedRanger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:15 AM   #77
WhiteMystechRanger
Lets get Mystechal

That I agree with. It's widely reported as the case.

Toei must have felt it was successful enough in that format to try in revamping or relaunching the Sentai show. As I said, Spider-Man combined Ultraman with Kamen Rider. Instead of having the heroes grow into a giant character, they had a robot to pilot. Think I may have worded my post a little wrong.

It's what helped Sentai stand out, you could either love the ground combat or the giant combat stuff. It attracted 2 audiences, especially when giant sized combat was the more popular one at the time.
WhiteMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:19 AM   #78
ainick
Power Ranger

RedRanger87 wrote: View Post

While the Japanese Spider-Man show did not start the giant robot vs. monster trend, it was a direct influence on the incorporation of giant robots in Super Sentai. So yes, you can thank Spider-Man for Megazords.
I don't doubt that but the way he explained it sounds like he believes it is the main reason or wouldn't even exist without Spider-Man.
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:19 AM   #79
SonicBlueRanger
Power Ranger

I wonder since Tommy's already here if they'll acknowledge the Papercutz run?

Anyway I'm very excited. While I've not read Windblade Scott's episodes of Prime have been really good so I'm looking forward to this.

I'm glad they seem like they're expanding on the show's continuity but they want to tell bigger stories.

I hope they do some Miniseries that use other seasons too.
SonicBlueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:21 AM   #80
Sevenlima
Power Ranger

They should make a minisseries about zordon.
Sevenlima is online now   Reply With Quote