RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 8 21.62%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 4 10.81%
Kamen Rider Fourze 9 24.32%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 10 27.03%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 5 13.51%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #61
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Blade 24: I think Hirose just has the same genetics as Hina considering their cartoonish super-strength.

Blade really is a season that likes to mix up what you'd expect in the story and present things in its own weird but interesting order. Like last time finally gave us focus on the actual Rouze system and the usage of the cards, this time finally gives us a bit more regarding the bikes in regards to a lost BOARD project picked up once again....well actually, the new bike is just part of another storyline that is introduced but just part of it: that being a squad of "Undead Hunters" with weapons to fight against the Undead while the BOARD riders take them down...at least until they have their own sealing system. Kenzaki seems to like the idea of having outside support helping them out, but Tachibana has his doubts and I'm sort of with him on that: while its alright to have "weapons" to fight, the whole purpose of the Riders this time is to stop the Undead; and without any other real "Rider methods", it really is just up to the Blade Riders to stop the Undead and seal them away. While no one seems to know too much on the Undead Hunters at first, it is with the introduction of the Black Fang that they see they do have a tangential connection to BOARD and thus how Tachibana and even Kenzaki may have allies...but with a powerful high level Undead (who makes 80s' style wolfmen) takes the bike, I suddenly have suspicion that maybe this group has one within them and has just gotten their hands on a valuable piece of tech that is not going to help the heroes.

Meanwhile, the female Undead that has been bothering everyone for a while has suddenly become obsessed with finding out what Aikawa is with the knowledge that he merely uses the Chalice Card and isn't really Chalice/Mantis Undead. Of course with her having problems keeping allies around, she now has turned to a rather quiet but powerful Elephant Undead who just wants to be left alone...but of course with Aikawa disturbing his nap, he really has no choice but to deal with him!
Ataruman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #62
cypsiman2
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataruman View Post
I don't mind the melodrama of Blade: the characters at least are honest to each other and talk to each other about the important stuff...unlike in the Inoue seasons where its all "hide and manipulate until we all crack". I think Kusaka would go nuts in a universe like Blade where everyone is open and there is no one to manipulate.
That is very true; even when the characters are reluctant to communicate with each other, the reasons why are at least revealed to the audience very quickly and the rest of the cast gets filled in on what's going on before too long, and that works a lot better for me than in a lot of other series.

Quote:
Of course with her having problems keeping allies around, she now has turned to a rather quiet but powerful Elephant Undead who just wants to be left alone...but of course with Aikawa disturbing his nap, he really has no choice but to deal with him!
The actor for the Elephant Undead's human form has such a striking unique appearance, he just really stands out next to everyone else in Blade.
cypsiman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 05:21 AM   #63
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

That and Elephant Undead has a cool hat.

-----

Denziman 7: I think "Back to the Future" was right: wearing a lifejacket in public is just going to make people stare at you.

Considering that the planet Denzi is a fallen civilization that was defeated by the Vader Clan, eventually the question of "what exactly happened to Denzi" was going to come up. And thanks to Queen Hedrian going through a specific ceremony (including turning Keller and Mirror into belly dancers), the means why actually emerged: Umitsular, a Vader Monster that looks just like a fisherman with coral for a head (because it is a fisherman with coral for a head), but in truth is actually a pollutant who can essentially corrupt and corrode all the water of a planet, making it essentially become the equivalent of acid rain. All life that touches this liquid dies, while all buildings and structures end up melted from the red liquid, basically destroying both life and the means of life simultaneously. This really has to be one of the most devastating Vader Monsters yet, not merely playing with the world like most of Hedrian's followers up to now but just causing massive corrosion and damage that will eventually just destroy everything and kill everyone if not stopped. Discovering about the usage of Umitsular, the Denziman do find out about how planet Denzi was prior and that the weapons within Denzi Land, particularly DaiDenzin, were constructed just to defeat this one monster, but were forced to flee to Earth due to Denzi essentially being completely lost, thus sobering up the team to the consequences of their failure if they don't beat either this MotW...or for the most part, any of the Vader Clan threats.

While the plan in itself is just devastating and dark, for some reason the main concentration of Umitsular's threat involves just the bursting of one particular dam, as if throwing out all of the corroded water from this one point will be enough to destroy all of Japan. Admittedly it works but it does feel ridiculous that only one point in particular was the key when all of the water from drinking water to rain was being affected by its corrosion power. If it wanted to succeed, it really should have just kept pumping its pollutant into the water and the dam would eventually burst while other death and destruction would subsequently occur simultaneously which had nothing to do with the dam. But I think the concentration on just that one central aspect and the Denziman realizing its obsession with it ended up dooming Umitsular, which is a shame since the plot was a good and a powerful one. And somehow with DaiDenzin destroying it, it really does prove that the only reason why Denzi lost the first time is less the Vader plot and more they couldn't deal with the giant Umitsular that probably could easier distribute the pollutant due to his size. Though it does remain peculiar that Hedrian continues to make it seem like she has taken on an "Electronic Squadron" prior even if DaiDenzin didn't seem to appear until the Earth invasion if this story is correct about the giant Umitsular being the reason why Denzi fell...but I guess time will tell about that.
Old March 25th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #64
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Yeah, Queen Hedorian's plans have consistently targeted beauty and anything with aesthetic value; eventually, though, those plans would lead to large-scale destruction. I like how the mystery of the Denzi civilization played out here; there was bound to be some catalyst that triggered its information be revealed, and of course it brings up the question of what more there is to the story. But at least it solidified Denziman's resolve to fight.

Quote:
Denziman 7: I think "Back to the Future" was right: wearing a lifejacket in public is just going to make people stare at you.
I don't see anyone walking around with dual neckties, though. Or fax machines.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:00 PM   #65
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by timegold View Post
I like how the mystery of the Denzi civilization played out here; there was bound to be some catalyst that triggered its information be revealed, and of course it brings up the question of what more there is to the story. But at least it solidified Denziman's resolve to fight.
I do wonder if there is more to say at this point. As it stands, the only thing the Denzi left behind we know of is their technology, probably sending it to another world that could possibly use it once the Vaders arrived there; and of course the factor that they have DaiDenzin right off the bat instead of needing to build it gave Earth (and thus the Denziman) a major advantage from the get-go to deal with the threats. Basically Denzi's tragedy was all that was needed for Earth to be prepared for this.

I do find it interesting, though, that two of the possible Sentai series that I do see as somewhat connected in one universe both involved another world being sacrificed for Earth to get the power to fight against that enemy. Denzi's loss ended up empowering the Denziman; while Hazard's destruction ended up helping the Carranger. Considering my own theories, it is a nice even if dark connection those two seasons have.

-----

Blade 25: I feel sorry for #5...he actually kept up with an Undead but doesn't have any super-weapons to finish him off.

Remember that Kuuga episode that introduced the bike and they had this whole episode demonstrating it as it hopped around in a factory? My how time flies, considering by Blade they're actually having an entire episode on the Suzuki Circuit where Blade and Garren fight the Wolf Undead on the special BOARD super-bike! For the most part this two parter is about the bike and here we have for the most part Kenzaki and Tachibana working together only to give an Undead (posing as an Undead Hunter) a bike upgrade....that they have to finish off. For the most part the factor that the Wolf Undead was using them just to get a bike does feel rather foolish but the whole two parter, and this phase in general, is just showing off all the different ways that the Undead are trying to use one another and use the world around them to find their own way of winning the Battle Royale. For the Wolf Undead/Shinmei, it was using BOARD's own tech against it; while we also have the Elephant Undead trying to just let everyone else destroy each other. Prior we also had the Hawk Undead who wanted to work with "Chalice" thinking it was going to lead to the two of them being the only ones left in the end, and of course Isaka thinking the method was the creation of a fourth Rider that was more or less fighting for them. (though of course the Spider Undead listens to no one and Mutsuki wants to make it his own)

And then there's the Orchid Undead, who ends up also meeting her end this time around. Her whole methodology is pretty much "use others and I'll take it from there". Ultimately with no one left to use (especially with the Elephant Undead not wanting to play by her game), she finally meets her end in this episode by the ways of Aikawa, whom she too doesn't get who he is and was using others to figure out who was using the Chalice card even with the "Undead power" within them. Unfortunately Kotaro happened to be around when she finally met her doom...but unfortunately he's on Aikawa's bad side again considering he was willing to trust in her...again...even though she's the enemy...sometimes I sort of wonder why he's even with the others considering how he probably is willing to sell out the others for the Orchid Undead if possible.
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:10 PM   #66
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Quote:
I do find it interesting, though, that two of the possible Sentai series that I do see as somewhat connected in one universe both involved another world being sacrificed for Earth to get the power to fight against that enemy. Denzi's loss ended up empowering the Denziman; while Hazard's destruction ended up helping the Carranger. Considering my own theories, it is a nice even if dark connection those two seasons have.
Interesting... but I (personally) can't really say that Carranger would be connectable to any other Sentai. Mainly because of whether aliens say "chikyuu" or "chiikyu".
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #67
cypsiman2
Power Ranger

Ironically, as much of a Kamen Rider fan that I am, I'm not much of a fan of the bike sequences for the most part, so while there was an amusement to seeing the Wolf Undead riding around on his suped up super BOARD bike, that did get old fast.

Personally, the most notable part for me was Wolf Undead talking about "Is there really an Undead so weak that bullets could defeat them?"; definitely a bit of smack talk both in series and out.
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:29 AM   #68
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Interesting... but I (personally) can't really say that Carranger would be connectable to any other Sentai. Mainly because of whether aliens say "chikyuu" or "chiikyu".
Its just an internal thing so far but mostly involving some matters of space police that I haven't reached yet in some ways. (but of course that I may get into with the series after Denziman...and the "trilogy" I am going to probably start in another watch after that "series after Denziman".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypsiman2 View Post
Personally, the most notable part for me was Wolf Undead talking about "Is there really an Undead so weak that bullets could defeat them?"; definitely a bit of smack talk both in series and out.
Well bullets worked on the Gurongi and humanity did create weapons to fight Lords...give or take a bit of research. But yeah...when you're immortal like the Undead, that isn't going to help.

-----

Denziman 8: If only the main character of "Fight Club" knew of Filmlar's splicing ability...

Takeshi Edzure: not really a well known name in tokusatsu circles but he is someone of some importance. Though he did work on Battle Fever (from some good episodes to some really weird ones) and does have some Denziman credits, starting with this episode, he's more well known for taking over to becoming the main writer of "Kamen Rider 1979" (AKA: Skyrider) and is the main writer for both "Kamen Rider Super-1" and "Kamen Rider Black RX". Considering he was around for the end of BFJ, having him as our first writer wasn't such a bad choice (even if other notables like Takaku and Soda won't be in the series for a bit) and he will still write a couple episodes here and there regardless of his priorities on the Rider side.

Though this first episode that Edzure writes does have some potential, it just gets a tad weird due to what is put into it. The initial concept does have some merits, with Hedrian releasing a film Vader Monster who has multiple powerful abilities, the most notable here being the ability to use a gas to speed up time like in a film in order to make people become extremely old, such as what happens to Daigorou and the kids early on. (and it was funny seeing Akagi and Kiyama tease him for falling for it) While that in general is Filmlar's main scheme (with the big one being transmitting that "become old" movie on a massive screen in the middle of town), I somehow think that Daigorou ends up becoming cured a tad too quickly (not enough time to see if he can become "Old Denzi Blue" like Shotaro after the Old Dopant) and the rest of the episode ends up really becoming this massive film studio chase with all sorts of craziness, especially a long sequence of Filmlar using his clapboard to "change the genres" when it really made no difference in the Denziman/Dustler fight outside the weird costumes they were in. (at least Goggle V spaced that out); and of course the rapid "let's wrap this up and get a giant fight out of this" scenario while the whole thing is just narrated to have been restored to normal. Admittedly, they really should have spent more time on the storyline of restoring Daigorou and the kids and probably cut down the movie chase some so it wouldn't have just felt so frantic in trying to get as much done in 25 minutes as possible. (then again this episode could be an example as to why shrinking the show down to 20 minutes from Dynaman may have been a good thing...)
Old March 26th, 2015, 08:28 AM   #69
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if these types of episodes are supposed to hint at "WATCH OUR MOVIE" - it wouldn't be the last time that happened. It is kind of the weirdness that sometimes came with the era.

Quote:
Its just an internal thing so far but mostly involving some matters of space police that I haven't reached yet in some ways. (but of course that I may get into with the series after Denziman...and the "trilogy" I am going to probably start in another watch after that "series after Denziman".
I mean, I get where that's coming from, and I've seen others' theories on the subject. But, just for me, what Signalman calls the planet is kind of a breaking point.
Old March 26th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #70
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Sometimes I can't help but wonder if these types of episodes are supposed to hint at "WATCH OUR MOVIE" - it wouldn't be the last time that happened. It is kind of the weirdness that sometimes came with the era.
What makes it weirder is there isn't a movie associated with Denziman at this point...at least not yet anyway. It is coming but we have to wait.

Quote:
I mean, I get where that's coming from, and I've seen others' theories on the subject. But, just for me, what Signalman calls the planet is kind of a breaking point.
That's why its just a theory and not all worked out yet. I want to wait until I've seen more of Denziman and some other stuff before I make any real rationalizations.

-----

Blade 26: What is with Spider-related Undead and their need to have little spiders crawling everywhere?

What is inside the four Riders; and is it enough for their purpose? All four of the Riders this time seem to have a few internal problems and it is this that drives the episode. This is driven for the most part by Shima, a "spider" Undead (it isn't THE Spider Undead, he's with Mutsuki) working with Karasuma in Tibet and who appears to wants this Battle Royale over with as quickly as the BOARD-related Riders. Most of his abilities seem to be rather new-age and he seems to just want to have at least Kenzaki and Tachibana reach out and pull what's inside of them in order to draw out their true potential. Ultimately for Kenzaki, that means reclaiming his idea of being there to protect people, which in the end finally gives Shima his trust and thus allows him to gain a new Rouse Absorber and a major upgrade in the form of his "Jack Form"...which is weird since now its bird wings on a beetle, though it isn't bad when the wings aren't up in it feels more like a cape. At the same time, Mutsuki is starting to have problems with the Spider Undead again, who after a while is trying to reassert control of the Leangle form and is even starting to speak through the fourth Rider by which he is starting to lose control again. And at the same time is Aikawa, who we know isn't who he claims...though now at least one Undead knows what he is and knows he has to be dealt with last, possibly due to the consequences of having "him" in the fight. It does further the mystery ultimately...though it is rather weird the Elephant Undead, after all this time of just wanting peace and quiet, was just so active until his fall this time around. If he just relaxed like he had intended, it wouldn't have come to this...but I guess that's probably the point of his fall: the moment he did get involved, it just doomed him to Blade's new power.
Old March 26th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #71
cypsiman2
Power Ranger

Shima is one of my two favorite High-ranking Undead in the series, he is just incredibly chill about everything and is just a good presence that the show needed at this point, particularly as Mutsuki's conflict flares up again.
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:14 AM   #72
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Well at least they have one spider who is chill in working with them...since the Spider Undead isn't going to make things any easier for them.

-----

Denziman 9-10: That "Dumburger" place may be addictive...but I still think the waitresses at that "space pumpkin" place are much more attractive. (the chefs are on par with each other though)

9 is an interesting episode and a lot darker than we've had from this show so far, with Uehara finally actually remembering what made some of his earlier series episodes good and giving us something that was weird but still had a good and interesting moral to it. The episode actually begins with Hedorian and the girls recruiting an artist who is rather infamous in art circles: his paintings are all grim, dark and disturbing with visions of hell, demons and monsters, nothing like what the establishment has desired. Because of his abandonment by the art community, he is easily recruited in a scheme involving a telephone Vader Monster: simply put, he calls the painters who criticized him before, tells them literally "go to hell" (well "jigoku ni ochiru", which is "fall into hell"...but it basically is "go to hell") and then the Vader Monster takes over their phone, grows to a huge size...and eats them. As ridiculous as a MotW that becomes a man-eating telephone sounds (would be cool to have something like this today with so many cell phone morphers), its actually a captivating, interesting episode that focuses more or less on the torment of this man who has never depicted anything beautiful in his entire life and who is caught in a rock and a hard place, particularly when he becomes an accessory for the Vader Clan's murders (and the people they are murdering are all connected to him in the first place). We also have a matter where his younger sister is actually seeing Momoi and trying to get him to someplace that can prove he can do something beautiful even with all the grim matters and his connections to Denwalar's murders, which more or less is paid off at the end, when the artist is ultimately killed by the Vader girls after finally gaining a conscious, but the last thing he did paint was a portrait of DenziPink that is considered "the first beautiful thing he ever depicted in his life". Its a rather touching and bittersweet conclusion, showing he did have it in him but was so wrapped up in the darkness and taking revenge that he couldn't realize it until it was too late. (oh and there was a man eating telephone...and of course DaiDenzin using his sword against said giant man-eating telephone...yeah, this is one where the weirdness just accentuated how good it was)

Moving on to 10, you would think this would probably be a toku episode about "healthy eating" (well MMPR would probably make it one)...but it actually is an episode about the power of a catchy jingle. Basically this time the Vader Clan create a sentient hamburger...and as weird as that sounds, its main attack isn't making evil hamburgers...actually the Vader Clan made the burgers, he just plays a soothing melody that pretty much hypnotises people to eat said burgers which then pretty much change their outlook, making them only eat those burgers, find all other food disgusting, and reduce themselves to the sick, gross lifestyle that Hedrian desires. It really is a weird one, probably the equivalent of that bizarre "golden eggs" episode of Battle Fever only with burgers and with Daigorou likewise getting caught in the whole thing (and the funny thing: not one anpan in the entire episode!) and of course the team trying to stop this junk food madness. Though if one constructive thing was learned from this episode, its this: Kiyama makes a mean curry. (amazingly he's the first Yellow I've seen that only makes the curry and doesn't eat it)
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:21 AM   #73
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Quote:
Kiyama makes a mean curry. (amazingly he's the first Yellow I've seen that only makes the curry and doesn't eat it)
(Come on, Sun Vulcan/Denziman team-up... Sun Vulcan/Denziman team-up...)

All I really have to say about these episodes is that sometimes Sentai is just so weird that it's really hard to analyze without subs or Japanese knowledge. Those episodes sure held attention, though.
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #74
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Somehow I think if Kiyama ran a curry restaurant, nearly every Yellow Ranger ever would pack the place. (though not all of them I suppose: Daigorou probably would want sushi, Boi would complain there are too many carrots in there, and Moune would wish it was "everything stew" instead of curry)

-----

Blade 27: Great, all that talk of getting something this season...and all Kotaro gets is a canary.

Even with all of his training and working to become a hero, the Spider Undead just won't leave Mutsuki alone. It doesn't help that Shiima, his Category King, has decided to appear to help out Kenzaki and Tachibana, but his appearance has made things all the more difficult for Mutsuki to truly be Leangle now that the Undead is starting to reawaken again. However Shiima has a plan for how to deal with the disturbed Undead who once again wants to throw the fight off balance: somehow if he's sealed then it will lead to a battle between Ace and King, between the "top two" cards that, hopefully, will keep the Spider Undead busy long enough to finally allow Mutsuki control...or if it fails, will make the Spider Undead more powerful than ever as Leangle. It isn't something anyone wants, particularly Shiima who isn't a fan of fighting; but it really may be the only shot anyone has currently to find a simple solution to the whole problem. Regardless, Mutsuki is still going to go through a lot more. And if that isn't bad enough, Aikawa is slowly revealing himself, stating that he isn't human (as we knew)...but isn't Undead either. So if you're not human and not an Undead...then what are you, user of the Chalice suite?
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #75
cypsiman2
Power Ranger

When the Tarantula Undead gives you a canary, you accept the gift with pride.

To answer what Aikawa is if he isn't an Undead, we need to remind ourselves what an Undead is; an immortal monster that represents a given species of life on Earth, and if that Undead is the last one standing, that species becomes the dominant life on Earth. If any one of these things is missing, then can you call what's left an Undead?
Old March 28th, 2015, 03:44 PM   #76
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Blade 28: Sorry, but unless he wears a Windscale-brand hat, Aikawa isn't Joker.

This episode more or less is the culmination of what Shima has sort of been wanting since he's arrived: a chance to possibly save Mutsuki from the fate of the Spider Undead that has been eating away at him. It is hard to say now who is in control of his body, especially with how the Undead is literally controlling even his human form, but regardless it is enough of a concern at this point that if something isn't done then it just is going to keep getting worse. Obviously with the desire of gaining the power of a Category King for himself, the Spider Undead easily takes the chance, even with the psychological blows that he delivers via Mutsuki's girlfriend in trying to save him. But it basically was something we've been prepping for pretty much since Shima's arrival, complete with Natural returning to...um, nature as our first Category King (and probably one of the most decent Undead yet) is sealed. But at the end, the winner is unknown: it was Leangle that sealed it, but was it Mutsuki or the Spider Undead? How is this going to end; no one knows.

And if that's not enough, we have Shima prior to his death acknowledge Aikawa as the "Joker", thus confirming him as the mysterious "53rd Card"...but if this is a game of survival and the Joker is outside the deck, then what does a victory for him mean for Earth if he's really not supposed to be in this game?

And...what the heck was with that Office Lady short at the end with what seems to be the Movie Riders?
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #77
Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Quote:
Blade 28: Sorry, but unless he wears a Windscale-brand hat, Aikawa isn't Joker.

This episode more or less is the culmination of what Shima has sort of been wanting since he's arrived: a chance to possibly save Mutsuki from the fate of the Spider Undead that has been eating away at him. It is hard to say now who is in control of his body, especially with how the Undead is literally controlling even his human form, but regardless it is enough of a concern at this point that if something isn't done then it just is going to keep getting worse. Obviously with the desire of gaining the power of a Category King for himself, the Spider Undead easily takes the chance, even with the psychological blows that he delivers via Mutsuki's girlfriend in trying to save him. But it basically was something we've been prepping for pretty much since Shima's arrival, complete with Natural returning to...um, nature as our first Category King (and probably one of the most decent Undead yet) is sealed. But at the end, the winner is unknown: it was Leangle that sealed it, but was it Mutsuki or the Spider Undead? How is this going to end; no one knows.

And if that's not enough, we have Shima prior to his death acknowledge Aikawa as the "Joker", thus confirming him as the mysterious "53rd Card"...but if this is a game of survival and the Joker is outside the deck, then what does a victory for him mean for Earth if he's really not supposed to be in this game?

And...what the heck was with that Office Lady short at the end with what seems to be the Movie Riders?
They basically serve as little mini trailers for Missing Ace, a film that serves as kind of an alternate ending to the series. As such, it's probably best if you wait to watch that one after you finish the series proper(Though I haven't seen it yet as I'm still working through Blade myself at the moment so I'm not sure if it would spoil anything major if someone watched it early).
Akiba Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #78
cypsiman2
Power Ranger

The Blade movie ends pretty much exact opposite from how the series ends, so in a sense it does spoil things and in another sense it doesn't. Personally I'm not a fan of the Blade movie at all but I can't tell you how you'll react to it.
Old March 29th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #79
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Holding off on the movies until post-series with all the main Heisei series...except maybe Den-O, but that's cause of story matters. (I think) It is weird they would pull this but that's what teasing is about.

-----

Blade 29: At least the latest Category Queen probably isn't called Medusa...then we'll start have to worry she has a twin sister manipulated by some other being that wants to destroy the world...or bring back his daughter.

I've sort of noticed that there is a trend regarding "episode 29" in Heisei Riders; its typically (not always, Kuuga is prior to this and 555 had "that revelation" then) about the point we get something much wackier than normal in the story as a breather before bigger things. As a few examples of what I've seen and know:

*Agito: The "tennis episode"
*Ryuki: The wedding episodes, notably introducing Zolda's "fiance"
*W: The "dream" two-parter
*OOO: The crazy "1000th episode" story

Here, we have a bizarre story about the war between taiyaki and takoyaki...and somehow Aikawa getting caught in the middle due to amnesia. To make matters more ridiculous, a look-alike decides to switch places with him, making Aikawa seem more assertive to his girlfriend, while Ryo, the takoyaki maker, is actually communicative...and Amane somehow hates it. (who knew the kid prefers brooders) Basically its the type of episode to go with the flow with due to how crazy it is and how it comes after the dark aspects regarding Shima's sacrifice and the unknown fate of Mutsuki due to the Spider Undead's control. But something was revealed prior to the wackiness: another Undead stating that somehow if Aikawa, as the Joker, wins the Battle Royale, it will be the end of everything. Thus the weird irony: his "human name" is "Hajime" or "Beginning", yet he will bring about the end of the world...it's about as ironic as what we thought was an Undead having a "human heart", thus "Heart" being his card suite.

But enough about that: next time, more banana taiyaki! (BANANA!?!?!)
Old March 29th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #80
cypsiman2
Power Ranger

I really don't like this two-parter, the jokes just aren't funny and the way everyone has to become a thundering idiot in order to make the prince-and-pauper routine work is just very annoying. The other wacky two-parters you mention don't do that to their characters, so I enjoy and laugh at them a lot, but not this one.

But yes, the Joker Undead does not herald the rise and dominance of a species of life on Earth, but instead the doom of all life. I suppose it makes since to want to go light and comedic after dropping a bombshell like that, so I don't blame Blade in that regard.