RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old March 15th, 2015, 06:17 AM   #61
Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

The monster of the week is… Cruella Desquid! (Youkai Rokurokubi) (Again, I did NOT name her!)

Here’s another monster where, if you’re unfamiliar with Kakuranger, you’re probably wondering “Who the heck is she?” Well, Cruella Desquid appeared as a background monster in Power Rangers Zeo episodes 41 + 42, “King for a Day” parts 1+2. In it, she was a part of the monster audience, seated right next to the box where Prince Gasket and Archerina were. She appeared without her trademark squid head. Seeing as though they did not use her footage, it probably wasn’t apparent to the monster wranglers at the time that her costume had a head.

In Kakuranger, Youkai Rokurokubi was Youkai Kappa's wife. She posed as a young woman and used an arcade building as a front to capture young boys. While she could extend her neck to great distances, in her true form her octopus-like head could detach from her body. Her head was enlarged to fight Red Saurder (the ape zord), while her body fought the ninjas. The body was destroyed by Ninja White, while her head was destroyed in the explosion brought by Kappa's death.

Rokurokubi is another monster based on Japanese Yokai. To reiterate and summarize what Yokai are, they are Japanese supernatural legendary/ mythological creatures. They can be ghosts, phantoms, or strange apparitions. Often they possess animal features, or appear mostly human. Some look like inanimate objects and others have no shape. Yōkai usually have a spiritual supernatural power. According to Yokai Folklore, a Rokurokubi is a person, usually female, whose neck can stretch indefinitely. Since Rokurokubi’s head is a squid that can detatch itself, It’s implied that her monster form has an infinite neck. (For more on Yokai, see the ‘Bonker’ post, or you can look it up yourself!)

Her design for the most part stayed pretty on-point. Though I much prefer how she appears in the drawing. I think it was a great idea to have the squid head attach itself by biting down on the neck. On that same note, between that and the fact that she's wearing leather bondage gear, it's plainly obvious why they didn't use her! (Then again, Katastrophe is wearing underwear, so this argument is invalid. Now THERE's a design drawing to look forward to !) :3

The suit of Cruella Desquid was last seen in the Saban Warehouse. It’s in the aforementioned picture of the Babaa / Tamer Keris combo off to the left. (third row down, fourth picture over) It can be seen here:

https://www.grnrngr.com/auctions/warehouse/

The suit was there for a time. Whether or not it still survives is unknown.

Last edited by Nendoramachine; July 14th, 2017 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Switched photo source
Nendoramachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #62
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Wow, sad we never got this one, she looks pretty cool. And the original drawing's even better.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #63
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay
Nendoramachine wrote: View Post

Whether or not the head was shipped is unknown.
Oh, it was shipped. Even appeared in the show.
grnrngr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #64
Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

grnrngr wrote: View Post

Oh, it was shipped. Even appeared in the show.
You've piqued my curiosity! Because for the life of me I don't remember... Was it on Onyx? At Piggy's? Is she a 'good' monster? Was the head used as a prop? What season was it in?
Old March 16th, 2015, 03:57 PM   #65
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay

You've piqued my curiosity! Because for the life of me I don't remember... Was it on Onyx? At Piggy's? Is she a 'good' monster? Was the head used as a prop? What season was it in?
Turbo. Not go hunting
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #66
kc16
The Beast

Another rare monster I didn't notice on the show. The octopus head looks creepy with the two sets of eyes.
kc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 07:24 PM   #67
IMTIRED
Power Ranger fan on Kauai

I can't help but be incredibly curious to know how you're choosing each monster, Nendoramachine.

I'd also love it if you could include which Sentai episodes the monsters of the day are featured in.

I've decided to watch back all episodes featuring the monsters of the day before commenting here, to re familiarize myself with each creature. I'm anxiously awaiting my Zyuranger DVDs to arrive so I can start my King Sphynx-a-thon.

I'm also wondering if you know which episode of Big Bad Beetleborgs features his head?
IMTIRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #68
Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

IMTIRED wrote: View Post

I can't help but be incredibly curious to know how you're choosing each monster, Nendoramachine.
I made four lists of monsters- Familiar monsters, normal monsters, unknown monsters, and "I gotta wait" monsters. Then I pick randomly from the lists. I'm doing it this way to keep the monsters fresh, and so that I don't show favoritism in any particular way. Otherwise Crabby Cabbie would be first. (He's my favorite)

IMTIRED wrote: View Post

I'm also wondering if you know which episode of Big Bad Beetleborgs features his head?
Pick any episode that takes place inside Zoom comics, and chances are you'll see him. Well- him, Staroid and Parrot Top.

Turbo. Now go hunting
It's coming back to me now... I seem to recall Elgar fighting a squid. But as for what episode that was in, I'll have to get back to you all on that. (Edited post)

On another note, I neglected to mention Cruella Desquid also appeared in Divatox's training ground in the episode "Fire in Your Tank".
Old March 17th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #69
yami senshi youkaiou
Author of Morphinverse

I know I never posted in here before but I want to catch up on it

I always loved King Sphinx because of the mythological motif behind the monsters in Season One.

I also remember for the longest time wanting King Sphinx to be a general like Goldar in the first season because of how similar they looked.

I liked Twin Man because I liked the idea of a the bad guys impersonating the Rangers, and because even in his true form he looked like a good guy with his whole knight in shining armor look.

As for Bonkers and Cruella de Squid I would have wanted to see them in Power Rangers though I wish every unadapted Sentai monster got adapted.

I especially would have wanted to see Bonkers just because he looks like he would be the MOTD in some hypothetical Power Rangers/VR Troopers crossover.

Finally with Bloom of Doom I don't know I remember not being much of a fan of him when he came out but looking back to be fair that's because they threw him into The Ninja Encounter so maybe he would have been better off in just his own episode.

I do think he's one of the few Dairanger monsters who's design I actually liked because he was based on something that wasn't some household object.
yami senshi youkaiou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #70
d3monicwolv3s
Emissary of Hell

I actually really like the name. haha
Is it known if that's an official name or fan name?

Really cool design. Must have sucked to be the suit actor, having to wear the black part over your head with all the fur, and then having another head on top of that.
d3monicwolv3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 07:18 AM   #71
Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

d3monicwolv3s wrote: View Post

I actually really like the name. haha
Is it known if that's an official name or fan name?
Fan name.

Also, I give up! If someone knows the name of the episode where Cruella's head appears, spit it out! I'm not sifting through any more Turbo... I can't take it!
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:41 AM   #72
Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

The Monster of the week is… Robogoat!
Now… instead of BEGINNING with a drawing of the monster, today I am ENDING with one, and you’ll see why, so worry not!

Beginning with his origin, In Zyu2 reel 12, Robogoat lured the Dragonranger into battle by using a golden sword. He fought with a red staff and that same sword, which could shoot golden lightning. He could also shoot lightning from his hands, and he used both headbutts and hot breath in battle. He then opened a fissure in the earth and trapped four of the Rangers inside his shield, forcing the red ranger into a heated duel with him. Once the rangers were released, they called upon Daizyujin and Dragon Caesar and finished him off using the Ultrazord.

In Power Rangers Season 2, episode 7, “The Green Dream”, the Robogoat was created from an illustration in Tommy's book by Lord Zedd. Robogoat hypnotized Tommy into giving him the previously unheard of “Sword of Power.” Robogoat captured the other rangers except for Jason. Jason managed to save them and destroyed Robogoat with the Thunder Megazord.
Robogoat was summoned again for a battle in the graveyard in episode 21, “Zedd’s Monster Mash”. He possessed little of his original powers there. He came back again and terrorized the Rangers in the abandoned Theater in season 2, episodes 42 and 43, “The Wedding” parts two and three.

Robogoat also attended Master Vile’s End of the World party at the Youth Center in Season 3, episode 30 “Master Vile and the Metallic Armor”, part 3.

The suit of Robogoat was then altered for Power Rangers Turbo episode 33, “Fire in Your Tank”. He was painted a black / brown and given some red, white, and blue fur. He practiced punching on a dummy at Divatox’s monster training ground. He sounded very dog-like. (probably the reason for his fan-name ‘Bobogoat’.) Robogoat’s horns went onto the “Vitrified Virus” monster for that same episode.** Bobogoat also appeared in PRiS episodes 42 and 43, “Countdown to Destruction.” Parts 1 and 2 (well, one of the parts, anyway.) He was in Mondo’s army. He then appeared on Onyx in PRLG episode “Heir to the Throne”, and finally in Lightspeed Rescue in episode 40, “The Fate of Lightspeed” Part 2.

**This “fact” hasn’t yet been proven by any reliable PR source- but just look! The suit was hacked up for that episode! Those are clearly Robogoat’s horns. I can’t disprove it, can you?

Robogoat had an action figure made for the 5.5-inch line. He came with a shield and a staff. When you press on his tail, he butts his head and his arms go up and down- a fun toy indeed! And since he had a staff in the show, kids could pretend the staff he came with was his robostaff! The Robogoat figure was originally intended to be part of wave 1, (along with Rita, Scorpina monster mode and Mutitus) but was instead released with wave 2. Robogoat also had a trading card and a pog made of him.

Now, I’ve saved the “Design drawing” for last because I wanted to open the floor to debate on it. First off- you should know that I took a still of Tommy’s book from the show and put it into Photoshop. I placed a warp transform on it and worked the color levels a bit, and desaturated it to get this:

Now I wanted to debate on whether this IS a design drawing or not, and if so, the implications of such are heavy. Since the simplest answer is usually the most likely, what probably occurred here is that the prop people took an already existing drawing of Robogoat and copied it to the book instead of making a completely new one. Since I’ve shown a few illustrations from Sentai Monsters Design Works, you already have a sense of the artist’s style. The drawing style of this Robogoat SEEMS to be similar to that of the artist from the book. Note that the picture has a few style differences between it and the actual suit. Robogoat’s horns are shaped differently than in the suit. Also, his pelvis is slightly different and his beard is shorter in the drawing. If this were drawn by looking at the suit, you’d think it would be more accurate, given the amount of detail put into it. They’d at least get the beard and horns right. The opposite argument can be made as well- that if they made a drawing of the suit just for the show, why WOULD there be that heavy of detail on it if the drawing if it was only to be seen for a short few seconds? This may or may not be a design drawing.

Another reason to believe it might is Stag Beetle. Remember she was created from a poster. Since we never get too close of a shot of the poster, we can’t tell for sure how detailed it is or if it even is a design drawing, but again, why would the prop people waste time in drawing an accurate beetle? One thing we know for sure about Stag Beetle is that that IS a broom picture pasted over the drawing. Makes one wonder…

Now, say for a moment the Robogoat picture IS a design drawing. The implications of such would mean that Saban had both commissioned and received design drawings for all the Zyu2 monsters. This would also mean the artist of Design works might have saved the drawings for these monsters, too. (Why not? They saved every other one!) So, is this or is this not a design drawing? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Nendoramachine; July 18th, 2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Switched photo source
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:51 AM   #73
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay

(Dora Capricorn)
Now you're just making stuff up.

Robogoat had an action figure made for the 6-inch line.
5.5"
Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:32 AM   #74
kc16
The Beast

Ahh a monster I remember seeing. Robogoat is one of my favorite monsters mainly due to the amount of times I've watched "The Green Dream" episode I have on VHS. I really like his design and his goat sounding voice was unique. Furthermore "The Green Dream" is one of my favorite MMPR episodes, the battle between Robogoat and Tommy and then Robogoat and Jason was epic to me when I was younger. Great monster choice this week Nendoramachine.
kc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:34 AM   #75
Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Now you're just making stuff up.
That was a Zyu-type fan name I got off a wiki-site and thought it worked well for the bio. But you're right- won't happen again. I deleted it.

Oh yeah- and I forgot to mention that the suit of Bobogoat's whereabouts are unknown.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:44 AM   #76
peas_and_corn
StringTheory.tv

I'm not seeing any pictures, is it just me?
peas_and_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:47 AM   #77
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay

That was a Zyu-type fan name I got off a wiki-site and thought it worked well for the bio.
Wikis are both one of the greatest and one of the worst resources on the internet.
Old March 22nd, 2015, 11:56 AM   #78
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

I love Robogoat. The look, the voice, the weapon, everything. I've never done a top 10 monster list in my head, but he'd probably be there somewhere.

But I never knew they mangled him like that. Such a shell of what PLEX made him to be. ;__;

That was a Zyu-type fan name I got off a wiki-site and thought it worked well for the bio.
A wiki tidbit without an accompanying source should always be taken as a falsehood.
Ankh Primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2015, 09:30 PM   #79
Chiron723
Power Ranger

I'm fine with the fan names as long as they are labeled as such.
Chiron723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2015, 07:36 AM   #80
Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

I just wanted to apologize for any irritation this has caused. I meant nothing by it. In the future, the only fan names I will list with the monster are those that are widely known. For example, Youkai Nopperabou is both known as "Piecemeal" and "Blue Top", but he is more familiar to fans as "Piecemeal", so "Piecemeal" he will be. And I will clarify it's a fan name.

This was an odd case of fans making up names for all the Zyu2 monsters, and I wrongfully took it as fact. I will just call Zyu2 monsters by their American names from here on out.

Moving on, what does everyone think about the Robogoat drawing? Is it a design, or just a drawing?