Home Menu

Menu

Old March 2nd, 2015, 09:28 PM #41
> IMTIRED
Power Ranger fan on Kauai

IMTIRED

Such a shame such an awesome costume is now just a snout.
IMTIRED is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 01:37 PM #42
> mythranger
Feed me MORE!

mythranger
Feed me MORE!

Silly question, but out of curiosity, where on that costume did the Pudgy Pig stuntman see out of? Through the snout or are there “hidden” eyeholes?

It’s interestingly made. I feel like it would be so top heavy that if I wore it, I’d repeatedly fall over. lol

Primo Haim Saban wrote: View Post

I'm fascinated by how handsome he looks in the original illustration.
Quite a fetish you got there, Primo. lol
mythranger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2015, 08:32 AM #43
> Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

mythranger wrote: View Post

Silly question, but out of curiosity, where on that costume did the Pudgy Pig stuntman see out of? Through the snout or are there “hidden” eyeholes?
Most of the monster suit stunt actors couldn't see and just went by the direction of the stunt coordinator. Makes the stuntpeople all the more impressive. I'll do an exposee more into this on a certain future monster I have planned.

As for Pudgy Pig, those snout holes are for breathing.
Nendoramachine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 10:05 AM #44
> Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

The monster of the week is… Terror Blossom! (Gorma Cherry Blossom Viscount)

Terror Blossom’s Design was slightly tweaked. His head petals were raised a bit, and his eye leaves were enlarged. His branches are slightly extended and are less thick in the final than they are in the rough. It was a nice touch of the designer in this one to transition a suit into a tree- a detail that I think isn’t as noticeable in PR. (Or at least anyway something the average kid doesn’t notice automatically when watching the ep.)

Terror Blossom was in Power Rangers Season 2, episodes 23-24, “The Ninja Encounter”, parts 2+3. The Terror Blossom had the ability to use poison petals. Terror Blossom recreated the Hatchasaurus monster (And Cardiatron) to keep the Rangers occupied. After defeating the Hatchasaurus, Jason, Zack, and Trini were conveniently frozen for the writer’s sake by Terror Blossom's shower of poisonous petals. Later, Terror Blossom unleashed his flower petals onto the Thunder Megazord. He was inevitably defeated by the Thunder saber.

In Dairanger, Gorma Cherry Blossom Viscount had powerful cherry tree blossoms that when they came in contact with someone, that person would go into a violent rage. This Gorma was ultimately killed by Dairen'oh.

Gorma Cherry Blossom Viscount is essentially a cherry tree. Cherry blossoms are an important part of Japanese culture. In Japan, Hanami ("flower viewing") is the Japanese traditional custom of enjoying the transient beauty of flowers, "flower" in this case almost always means cherry blossoms ("sakura"). From the end of March to early May, sakura bloom all over Japan, and Cherry Blossom festivals are held. (Sakura Festivals) The blossom forecast (literally cherry blossom front) is announced each year by the weather bureau, and is watched carefully by those planning hanami as the blossoms only last a week or two. In modern-day Japan, hanami mostly consists of having an outdoor party beneath the sakura during daytime or at night. Hanami at night is called yozakura (literally night sakura). The sakura parties usually involve younger people and can sometimes be very crowded and noisy. If you’re familiar with any kind of manga or anime, chances are you know what I’m talking about! (Just a little cultural background there on why Cherry Blossom Viscount is who he is.)

The suit of Terror Blossom was one of the few Dairanger costumes purchased by Saban. After the episode, it sat in the Saban warehouse for a time, and sustained little to no damage (apart from a few stray petals here and there). Whether or not it went to the chopper is unclear. Its fate is unknown.
It is highly likely most of the monsters that were stored in the Saban warehouse from MMPR-LG were eliminated in the dreaded wood chipper incident. Monsters that I know survived will be indicated as such.

Last edited by Nendoramachine; March 4th, 2018 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Switched photo source
Old March 8th, 2015, 04:25 PM #45
> hasso_primo
Net Brutality

hasso_primo
Net Brutality

Aw, man, now you made me want a Googleheimer post...

Terror Blossom was an interesting concept, as it was both a tree and at the same time dressed like kind of 1800s gentleman. I guess that made it a lot easier for the stuntman to move around.
hasso_primo is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 04:45 PM #46
> spdfan2001
Oh my swirls.

spdfan2001
Oh my swirls.

thanks for a amazing thead.

Last edited by spdfan2001; March 8th, 2015 at 04:51 PM.
spdfan2001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:31 PM #47
> IMTIRED

IMTIRED

I don't necessarily feel like I have a strong recollection or association with this monster. It's a really interesting design though, and I always found those eyes creepy on the MMPRS2 monsters.
IMTIRED is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:41 PM #48
> Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

Peter
"Stegosaurus!"

IMTIRED wrote: View Post

I don't necessarily feel like I have a strong recollection or association with this monster. It's a really interesting design though, and I always found those eyes creepy on the MMPRS2 monsters.
I always liked the designs of the DaiRanger monsters. Like you, I thought they looked really creepy. I always liked them for that.

Another reason I hope Shout hurries up and releases DaiRanger.
Peter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 05:45 PM #49
> kc16
The Beast

kc16
The Beast

Most of the second half season 2 monsters were Dairanger monsters. I would like to know why most of the Dairanger monsters had one eye? This is one of the many reasons that I need to get into Sentai, to understand some of the concepts and compare it to Power Rangers.

Terror Blossom is a weird looking monster and because it was in a rarely seen multi-parter, The Ninja Encounter, it is a forgettable monster in MMPR. Terror Blossom looks like a evolved form of Bloom of Doom, anyone else get that vibe.
kc16 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 07:08 PM #50
> mythranger
Feed me MORE!

mythranger
Feed me MORE!

kc16 wrote: View Post

Terror Blossom looks like a evolved form of Bloom of Doom, anyone else get that vibe.
Definitely. It would’ve been interesting if Terror Blossom and Bloom of Doom teamed up instead of randomly bringing back Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron. Hell, throw in Spit Flower and Octophantom and have one giant evil plant party.

But agreed. Terror Blossom was an interesting design indeed.

Nendoramachine wrote: View Post

Most of the monster suit stunt actors couldn't see and just went by the direction of the stunt coordinator. Makes the stunt people all the more impressive. I'll do an exposee more into this on a certain future monster I have planned.
That’s intriguing. Had no idea. I assumed all the suits had some type of eyeholes for the stuntman.
Old March 9th, 2015, 12:31 AM #51
> hasso_primo
Net Brutality

hasso_primo
Net Brutality

I assumed all the suits had some type of eyeholes for the stuntman.
There was a joke the stunt coordinators told at the first Power Morphicon, when they brought a fan up on stage and put a monster head on him. "Can you see?" He said no. "Good."
hasso_primo is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:06 AM #52
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Most of the monster suit stunt actors couldn't see and just went by the direction of the stunt coordinator. Makes the stuntpeople all the more impressive. I'll do an exposee more into this on a certain future monster I have planned.

As for Pudgy Pig, those snout holes are for breathing.
Out of curiousity, does the same thing apply to the Ranger helmets as well?
Akiba Black is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 07:30 AM #53
> Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Akiba Black wrote: View Post

Out of curiousity, does the same thing apply to the Ranger helmets as well?
As far as I know, no. Anything that did heavy stuntwork like ranger suits and grunt costumes (Putties, Cogs, Pirahnatrons, etc) had some form of visibility.
Old March 9th, 2015, 10:43 AM #54
> Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

Akiba Black
Delusion Warrior

As far as I know, no. Anything that did heavy stuntwork like ranger suits and grunt costumes (Putties, Cogs, Pirahnatrons, etc) had some form of visibility.
That makes sense, what about the suits for primary villians? Can the stunt actors see out of those or do they follow the same rules as the monster costumes?
Akiba Black is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 02:39 PM #55
> d3monicwolv3s
Emissary of Hell

d3monicwolv3s
Emissary of Hell

I've always wondered if they could see or not. haha
Terror blossom is one of my favorite designs. Although I kind of like the normal legs (it definitely looks better in the design drawing), I wouldn't have minded seeing roots or something, not even fully just a little texture.

I've always watched to see the monsters, so I've always been disappointed by the lack of monster merch.

So I've been looking at buying those books for awhile (but money just wont allow it yet), and was hoping I could find scans of it so I'd know what I'd be getting exactly...but no luck on that.

But yay someone owns one, so I can ask.
I know the books cover a large chunk of years (its like 20 I think), so I doubt it has every monster from the seasons it covers... but like how many does it cover? Are they all full pages? are there multiple monsters on each page? If so how many per page? are main villains covered? Any photos of the suits? Or just designs sketches? Any shots of the back of the suits?
d3monicwolv3s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 03:48 PM #56
> grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay
grnrngr
www.grnrngr.com

eBay

It would’ve been interesting if Terror Blossom and Bloom of Doom teamed up instead of randomly bringing back Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron. Hell, throw in Spit Flower and Octophantom and have one giant evil plant party.

d3monicwolv3s wrote: View Post

But yay someone owns one, so I can ask.
I know the books cover a large chunk of years (its like 20 I think), so I doubt it has every monster from the seasons it covers...
Your doubts are, fortunately, incorrect.
grnrngr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM #57
> Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

I know the books cover a large chunk of years (its like 20 I think), so I doubt it has every monster from the seasons it covers... but like how many does it cover? Are they all full pages? are there multiple monsters on each page? If so how many per page? are main villains covered? Any photos of the suits? Or just designs sketches? Any shots of the back of the suits?
The first book covers everything from the beginning of Sentai to Kakuranger. (PR Season 3) For the most part it has every monster, grunt, and main villain from each respective season. If you buy the book solely for the purpose of seeing main villains and monsters from MMPR seasons 1-3, you won't be disappointed. EVERY main villain, henchperson, and grunt are covered. Monsters on the other hand are a different story. There are a few monsters missing (like Tube monster) but the monsters that are missing make sense why they are gone. (Tube monster's just a recolored pipe brain.)

Some pages have single monsters, but most pages have multiple monsters. (usually three or four maximum) The thing you WON'T get by buying the book is blown-up images like you'll see here. (Thank you, photoshop!) But really, it IS a great treasure to have! Buy it!

There are no suit photos in the books- just design sketches. Very seldom are there pics of the backs of the design drawings. (again, only in places where it makes sense to show that, for example the back of Duke of Trumps has Lipsyncher, so they needed to show his back so you can see she's on there.)
Old March 9th, 2015, 05:24 PM #58
> mythranger
Feed me MORE!

mythranger
Feed me MORE!

Definitely. It would’ve been interesting if Terror Blossom and Bloom of Doom teamed up instead of randomly bringing back Hatchasaurus and Cardiatron. Hell, throw in Spit Flower and OCTOPHANTOM and have one giant evil plant party.
grnrngr wrote: View Post

I meant Octoplant. Tired after a long day of work.

Last edited by mythranger; March 9th, 2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old March 9th, 2015, 06:16 PM #59
> d3monicwolv3s
Emissary of Hell

d3monicwolv3s
Emissary of Hell

grnrngr wrote: View Post

Your doubts are, fortunately, incorrect.
Amazing. Thanks.

The first book covers everything from the beginning of Sentai to Kakuranger. (PR Season 3) For the most part it has every monster, grunt, and main villain from each respective season. If you buy the book solely for the purpose of seeing main villains and monsters from MMPR seasons 1-3, you won't be disappointed. EVERY main villain, henchperson, and grunt are covered. Monsters on the other hand are a different story. There are a few monsters missing (like Tube monster) but the monsters that are missing make sense why they are gone. (Tube monster's just a recolored pipe brain.)

Some pages have single monsters, but most pages have multiple monsters. (usually three or four maximum) The thing you WON'T get by buying the book is blown-up images like you'll see here. (Thank you, photoshop!) But really, it IS a great treasure to have! Buy it!

There are no suit photos in the books- just design sketches. Very seldom are there pics of the backs of the design drawings. (again, only in places where it makes sense to show that, for example the back of Duke of Trumps has Lipsyncher, so they needed to show his back so you can see she's on there.)
Oh okay, because at 300 or something pages I thought it was just a few select monsters from each season. lol

No, although I do love a lot of the MMPR designs, I want it for all the designs. That kind of sucks, I wish they were all included, including recolors, but I guess its not a big loss. Are the zyuranger2 monsters made for power rangers like pumpkin rapper included?

What do you do to the images in photoshop? Just crop the others out from the scan/photo? Or do you stretch the image?

Yeah that makes sense I was just hoping for some decent images of the backs of them. Since some episodes you don't really see their backs at all (and you don't always have the clearest footage). I'm just hoping if they do another book in the future they show the back of the combined grunt monster in gokaiger.

More hyped about it, now that I know how much it covers. Definitely need to break down (when I have the money) and buy both of them.

Thanks for making this thread really looking forward to the weekly updates.
d3monicwolv3s is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:22 AM #60
> Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Nendoramachine
Certified Crimson Creep

Are the zyuranger2 monsters made for power rangers like pumpkin rapper included?
Unfortunately no. It's strictly the sentai series monsters. Zyu2 was initially my fuel for buying the book, but alas, they're not in there. But that doesn't mean we're not covering some Zyu2 monsters! (Take from that what you will, but don't read too much into it. I have no secret connections.) More on this to come

What do you do to the images in photoshop? Just crop the others out from the scan/photo? Or do you stretch the image?
Basically what you said- crop the others out and change the image size.