RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old February 26th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #41
Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

They keep mentioning that the Riverdale has a dark side, so I wonder if that means we're going to get Sabrina and her aunts at some point.
I think that depends on who has the rights, considering the whole Sabrina TV series.
Ankh Primo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #42
BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Unless they completely sold the t.v. rights to Sabrina off to whoever did the last live action t.v. series (was it WB that did that series?) Archie Comics should have all the rights to Sabrina. It's been how long since that show ended? Any rights probably long expired without a new show being made for her.
BobbyDrake2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #43
ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice

BobbyDrake2000 wrote: View Post

Unless they completely sold the t.v. rights to Sabrina off to whoever did the last live action t.v. series (was it WB that did that series?) Archie Comics should have all the rights to Sabrina. It's been how long since that show ended? Any rights probably long expired without a new show being made for her.
It was ABC that had the rights to the live-action Sabrina back in... 96? (GADS I'm old) and the animated series. The licensing hopefully has expired by now.

Just think if Archie had remained with Fox. Gaga and the cast of Glee could have easily guested for their respective storylines (as ludicrous as they might have been). It would have been hilarious to see each character and their respective doppleganger/analog meeting.
ZandarLantyriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 03:14 AM   #44
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Madelane Petsch has been cast as Cheryl Blossom. Reportedly nobody has been cast as her twin brother Jason because the character was "lost in a mysterious accident" when the pilot begins.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...cheryl-blossom

Camila Mendes is our Veronica. She arrives in Riverdale to start afresh after her father gets involved in a scandal

http://deadline.com/2016/02/riverdal...cw-1201710249/
Cameron Samurai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #45
BlackMystechRanger
Chameleon Green

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Reportedly nobody has been cast as her twin brother Jason because the character was "lost in a mysterious accident" when the pilot begins.
So he'll appear in the mid season finale, got it. Who are they trying to fool, if they call something mysterious that's going to be a mystery they're planning to solve, otherwise it would just be an accident or he simply wouldn't exist at all.
BlackMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #46
BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

I'm not too familiar with Jason Blossom outside of the Afterlife and vs. Predator series, but my understanding is that he's a bigger douche than Reggie, so odds are Jason's going to be the big bad of the series (or whatever comes close in a drama).

Either that or they're going to pull a Sleepwaway Camp twist ending at the end of the season.
Old February 27th, 2016, 04:28 AM   #47
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Pepper wrote: View Post

So he'll appear in the mid season finale, got it. Who are they trying to fool, if they call something mysterious that's going to be a mystery they're planning to solve, otherwise it would just be an accident or he simply wouldn't exist at all.
Who says they're fooling anyone? Jeff Tracy was a regular character in the original Thunderbirds. Come the remake 50 years later, he's gone missing before the series began. The mystery of what happened was unresolved at the end of series 1 (series 2 hasn't started yet). Not everything gets solved in 13 episodes.
Digifiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 08:58 AM   #48
Cammy
This cage demeans us both

"Archie's Weird Mysteries" for grownups. Nice idea!!
Cammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #49
Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

Who are they trying to fool, if they call something mysterious that's going to be a mystery they're planning to solve, otherwise it would just be an accident or he simply wouldn't exist at all.
Why do you think they're trying to fool anyone? By releasing that information, clearly they want us to think about him, which means there's something about him that will be important to the story.
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #50
⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

But he will most likely appear, in the flesh, in a big sweeps episode, as part of a "shocking" reveal that was predicted a year ahead of time. Because they immediately told us about it. Not even in the show, but ages ahead of the show starting.
Multiple Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #51
BobbyDrake2000
Ice Blue Ranger

Or maybe that's the cue they're taking from Afterlife.

Jason dies in Afterlife after Cheryl hacks him to pieces, and with VERY good reason, and it ain't 'cause he's a zombie.
Old February 27th, 2016, 09:58 PM   #52
BlackMystechRanger
Chameleon Green

Primo David Frank wrote: View Post

Why do you think they're trying to fool anyone?
Because they tell us he's dead.
BlackMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2016, 11:23 PM   #53
Ankh Primo
Net Brutality

Because they tell us he's dead.
Yeah, but that's one of those terribly choreographed revelation questions. Dirty Sexy Money did it, Revenge did it, The Blacklist is currently doing it, it's not fooling people so much as it is winking right at them.

It's the equivalent of saying Power Rangers tries to fool us when they start with five Rangers.
Old February 29th, 2016, 12:32 PM   #54
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Some comments on the pilot script

This is not going to be Happy Days. This is The OC in Middle-America, with the sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll amped up far beyond anything that show ever achieved.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/...chie-universe/

OC?

Ohh watcha say....
Old February 29th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #55
CheckeredRanger
OMG THIS IS SO EPIC!!11!!

I can`t wait for someone to do a dark and gritty reboot of a Harvey comics franchise like Richie Rich,Casper,or Little Audrey.

Oh shit....I may have just gave them an idea
CheckeredRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #56
ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice

Cameron Samurai wrote: View Post

Some comments on the pilot script

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02/...chie-universe/

OC?

Ohh watcha say....
Well 'ask and ye shall recieve'. If the article is accurate, I'm glad they're making Kevin more dynamic and not a boring, celibate 'magical elf', but at the same time, I'm worried the supposed portrayal will negate the positve influence of his comics incarnation. All this Kevin needs is drugs and he completes a negatve stereotype.

I'd much prefer a more 'Danny Mehaleani' (Teen Wolf): version of Kevin- just the right balance.
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #57
⚡Multiple Man
I'm A Bore, Mostly

If by "the right balance" you mean "no personality, few scenes, and no real storyline, in an aimlessly perpetual guest-starring role" then sure, that description fits.

While I do think it's important to protect certain characters within groups that don't get a lot of positive representation, I also feel like there's a tendency to overcorrect for this imbalance. Making them too cool, too nice, too fun, with few flaws and even less importance beyond just being conveniently useful as a friend/accessory to the "real" heroes of the story.

In this genre specifically, it's also really, really tiring to see the gay character be the only one, in a story model set up specifically for relationship drama, where they're surrounded by straight people that never seem to stop having sex, or wanting to have sex, or having relationship woes; and this guy/girl is just playing Angry Birds on the side in the meantime.

If Doctor Who somehow gets more action than you, then something's wrong. You've overcorrected. It's not fair. And, despite the inclusion, it's kinda negligent. Like offering someone a slice of ice cream cake, but then cutting out the ice cream for yourself.
Multiple Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #58
SparkyYoungUpstart
Power Ranger

ZandarLantyriel wrote: View Post

Well 'ask and ye shall recieve'. If the article is accurate, I'm glad they're making Kevin more dynamic and not a boring, celibate 'magical elf', but at the same time, I'm worried the supposed portrayal will negate the positve influence of his comics incarnation. All this Kevin needs is drugs and he completes a negatve stereotype.

I'd much prefer a more 'Danny Mehaleani' (Teen Wolf): version of Kevin- just the right balance.
The whole Kevin thing really depends on the execution. It doesn't take much to change a sex scene from this dark, sinister, secretive thing (which is what so many implications of gay sex have been on screen) into the fun and good sex shared by so many straight couples (and Coliver). So despite what the article may imply, I'm pretty sure this Kevin is closer to Danny. I mean, there's no mention of him being sassy or prissy outside of insults lobbed at him; it's just pointed out that he has a presence in the show beyond the Magical Queer.

That being said, this still seems to be two steps away from becoming the Power/Rangers of Archie Comics. It'll be 80% trainwreck and I am 100% here to watch it, with popcorn and liveblogging.
SparkyYoungUpstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2016, 10:59 PM   #59
ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice

Multiple Man wrote: View Post

If by "the right balance" you mean "no personality, few scenes, and no real storyline, in an aimlessly perpetual guest-starring role" then sure, that description fits.
Well And he had a sense of humor and was useful and likeable. He was Stiles's "straight man" in their comedic scenes together. Sadly, everything else you said is pretty true.
I pray the creator's promise holds true and Danny is supposed to return at some point.

SparkyYoungUpstart wrote: View Post

The whole Kevin thing really depends on the execution. It doesn't take much to change a sex scene from this dark, sinister, secretive thing (which is what so many implications of gay sex have been on screen) into the fun and good sex shared by so many straight couples (and Coliver). So despite what the article may imply, I'm pretty sure this Kevin is closer to Danny. I mean, there's no mention of him being sassy or prissy outside of insults lobbed at him; it's just pointed out that he has a presence in the show beyond the Magical Queer.
*slaps forehead* I forgot all about the Colliver. I really need to start watching that series from the beginning.

I hope you're right. The article did mention that script may turn out different in execution. So often that is the case with gay love plotlines ending up sordid or "wrong" in some way. Like when Mason gets together with Corey- That still felt 'wrong' somehow. That even felt true of Danny/Ethan (as much as it pained me).
Old March 4th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #60
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Teen Wolf's Marisol Nichols will play Hermione Lodge.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...reaking_banner

It appears Veronica's father has been incarcerated for the time being.