RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

Old September 28th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #81
Merlin
King among Kings

You have to watch the Movie All Riders vs. Dai-Shocker, which covers Tsukasa's past. Some questions are answered, so I'll tell the ones that aren't.

You don't miss anything because we don't learn it. Although you learn in the Movie what Tsukasa was doing prior to the Decade series, you never learn what caused his amnesia, or how he wound up at the Hikari Studio. Whatever places him in Episode 1 is a complete mystery. Although he recovers the belt in the rubble, it's never told how it got there.

Wataru's comments are never elaborated on but it's implied that he has met our real Riders before. In that outer space zone between worlds, Wataru speaks for all the real Riders, and he later faces them all. They've known who he is for some time, but since they're not the focus of the series, we don't learn to what extent.

The Studio acting as a TARDIS is just something you accept. It's never explained how it hops worlds, nor does it have to be. That's just the gimmick. Notably, Diend is the only character who can hop worlds by himself; everyone else has to be inside the house. Much later Tsukasa is able to do it himself, but again this ability is never explained.

The cards are another mystery. According to series lit, the belt uses the enegy of the nine previous Riders as well as powers of earth, wind, fire, water, darkness and light (the six lights on it) to symbolize how the user is pretty much in control of all existence. How the cards were originally created isn't known. Just go with it.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 01:06 PM   #82
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

gseeges wrote: View Post

I've been watching Kamen Rider Decade lately and I've been having a few questions that people don't seem to question about it.

1:In the first episode Wataru was said stuff like "Where are your buckle and cards?", "In the past you lost them all." when Tsukasa cards sealed up, and "So, do you remember anything?", did we miss something, did Tsukasa run into Wataru, fought him, and lost his memories, belt, and cards in the process. Also, did he fight the other heisei riders as well? Maybe that could explain why Wataru was comrades with them despite none of them meeting each other. Oh and before any of you comment, the Ryuki Hyper Battle Video was a dream and Climax Deka was a AU Movie, I think.

2:Who or what made the cards Decade and Diend use? Did Dai-Shocker make them since they were the ones that made the Decadriver and Diendriver, if so how? I guess they made cards with Decade and Diend symbols on them from scratch, but how did they make cards of the other main, Secondary, extra, and even movie riders?

3:How can the Hikari Studio travel from A.R. World to A.R. World. Seriously that comes out of no where with no explanation, what is it a TARDIS.
Keep watching the series. Some of these questions will be answered, others will not. Make sure to include (the director's cuts of) the movies in your watch-through: The Den-O/Decade crossover comes after episode 15, All Riders vs. Dai Shocker after episode 29, and the Decade/W crossover after the end of the series (since the movie acts as the final episode). Also, make sure you watch the "special" versions of episodes 30 and 31. It makes the segue into the last movie a little smoother. If you want to see the characters post-series, there is the Den-O Episode Yellow movie, Super Hero Taisen, and the last two episodes of Kamen Rider Wizard (the second of which airs this Sunday).

EDIT: Well, Merlin gave you a lot more detail than I wanted you to have. It's best to be angry about all the unanswered questions when the show is over, rather than having the fact that they won't be answered nagging at you throughout the entire series. Although, it's worth noting that the reason behind Tsukasa's amnesia is at least hinted at, which is better than it not being addressed at all.

Last edited by johnboy3434; September 28th, 2013 at 01:20 PM.
johnboy3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 03:58 PM   #83
Miraculous Bikkun
俺はここにいる!!

Here's something to keep in mind- DCD's first writer left after Agito World, and apparently took all his ideas with him. You can very clearly see a plotline developing about Tsukasa's past and his relationship to Narutaki. However, after Agito World, this was all discarded or derailed. The fact of the matter is we don't know the original answers. It's tragically similar to a comic book shakeup where the writers don't talk to each other.
Miraculous Bikkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #84
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

B-kun wrote: View Post

Here's something to keep in mind- DCD's first writer left after Agito World, and apparently took all his ideas with him. You can very clearly see a plotline developing about Tsukasa's past and his relationship to Narutaki. However, after Agito World, this was all discarded or derailed. The fact of the matter is we don't know the original answers. It's tragically similar to a comic book shakeup where the writers don't talk to each other.
This I never knew, and it makes so much goddamn sense. However, I believe the show was able to keep some sort of direction up to episode 19. Once Decade had visited all nine Riders, though, the plot ran out of train tracks and everything flew completely off the rails for the remaining twelve episodes and two movies. I loved the character of Tsukasa, which is why it's so tragic that the series around him ended up being such a mess.
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #85
SmashZ
Power Ranger

I don't know if I'd go with that. Narutaki's role is heavily reduced in the Agito word itself, not after the writer left. Sho Aikawa also apparently was always hired just for those episodes. I've always thought the main issue came exactly at the end of the show, with the movie tie ins and changes to the movies, not with Sho Aikawa's departure.

All Riders vs Dai-Shocker itself is kind of an oddity. If you follow the early marketing and even interviews, it all made it seem like it'd be a post tv show story, but then suddenly it was supposed to go somewhere before the finale since there was another movie afterwards. There was a manga adaptation of Vs Dai-Shocker released alongside the movie that had several changes from it, and some people speculate that it might be closer to the original script. Among the main changes, there was no W interrupting the Shadowmoon battle, it was actually Black RX helping Decade by crushing the Earth stone, and Eijiro was just killed, rather than randomly popping up alive after the battle.

Anyway, then, there is that post tv movie itself. The original Movie Wars teaser included lines about revealing Narutaki's identity and Tsukasa's real nature (with the whole "other Tsukasa" bit), but that was all dropped in the end, seemingly replaced with nothing. The movie was originally announced as a double feature like the Rider/Sentai movies, but it eventually was changed to the current 3 part crossover format we have now for Movie Wars, and that seems to have sliced apart Decade's story. The working name for Decade's movie, even listed in theaters, was originally "Decade vs All Riders", and that clearly wouldn't even fit for the movie we actually got. The actual Movie Wars 2010 also has some remnants from that original story that have no role in the final script. One of the lines in the teaser was about a "real World". Official material for Movie Wars 2010 points to the changed wallpaper in Natsumi's room, which is due to the real form of the world being revealed, but the movie script itself makes no mention of that at all. I really think that the point where Decade's story goes completely off rails are those tie ins, and especially cutting apart the final story to turn it into a crossover.

Last edited by SmashZ; September 28th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.
SmashZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #86
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

SmashZ wrote: View Post

I've always thought the main issue came exactly at the end of the show, with the movie tie ins and changes to the movies, not with Sho Aikawa's departure.
I respectfully disagree. Once Tsukasa had "completed" the task given to him by Wataru after episode 19, the show had little direction before petering off into no direction at all.

-The Nega World is only marginally better than the Fake Namek episodes from Dragon Ball Z, and only because it introduces Complete mode and the idea of there being more worlds than the ten we've seen. The Natsumi backstory would have been interesting if it wasn't made totally subservient to the "This isn't their world!" plot.

-Diend's World was a solid look at the character and his origins, but in the overall picture it felt like the writers were stalling for time. Tsukasa and company had no reason to be in this world outside of the fact that the studio just dropped them there. Daiki didn't learn anything from the experience, and the heroes just decided to let a rather dangerous man walk free because...?

-This is where the bottom dropped out. The Shinkenger crossover was a complete fucking waste of time. The two Shinkenger episodes aren't really part of the crossover at all, and the two Decade episodes spend forever and a day spinning their wheels because there wasn't nearly enough story for the forty minutes they had to fill. For the very first Kamen Rider/Super Sentai crossover, it was an abysmal outing (I'm on the fence as to whether it was worse than Super Hero Taisen).

-Black and Black RX's Worlds were a step up in quality. It developed Tsukasa's loving (but not necessarily romantic) relationship with Natsumi and it was awesome to see Tetsuo Kurata in both of his roles again. It also introduced Dai Shocker as the new villains of the series... except that's not really what they were, and this is part of what I mean by a complete loss of direction. Dai Shocker was introduced solely to build up to its defeat in the movie. If the movie was the end of the series, then that would have been fine, but it wasn't. The series from this point on acts only as the extended trailer to a movie of some sort. It has completely ceased to serve its own needs as a narrative.

-Amazon's World was a step back down. The story is derivative without offering a unique spin to make up for it. There's an oppressive regime and Decade fights it. Yippee. The albatross around the two-parter's neck is Amazon himself. The fact that I can tell how awful an actor he is without understanding a word of Japanese speaks volumes. The kid with the distracting eyeliner wasn't exactly helping matters, either. And, as with last time, it only serves to build up to the movie, without advancing anything related to the series. Also, why Amazon? I get Black (RX), since that was the one Showa Rider where you could get back an original actor in good enough shape for the out-of-suit role. If you're just going to go the AU route for another Showa world, though, why Amazon? Why not the original, or maybe ZX to match both tenth anniversaries? And why, regardless of the Rider, would you go with such a terrible replacement actor?

-For the End of the World episodes, I refer to the revised versions from the reruns. With Dai Shocker defeated in the movie, at long last something plot-relevant happens... and it's all build-up for another goddamn movie. Worse than that, it's not even decent build-up for the movie. The cliffhanger springs up right at the end after what would be, in any other series, a climactic villain showdown. And then all of a sudden our hero has become the villain. Never mind that the other Riders, whom we've come to love over the years, end up looking like a group of colossal assholes for deliberately using Tsukasa as a sacrificial lamb. Never mind that Tsukasa, despite his horrible past, has endeared himself to the audience and made significant strides in becoming a better person. He's the Destroyer of Worlds, and that means he's the bad guy.

And no, the "twist" of the finale movie doesn't make this better, because of the other reason why this is a terrible build-up for the movie: This was a last-minute patch job to make up for the astonishing lack of foresight in the original cuts of the episodes. Why would you ever set up a movie in such detail, even going so far as to shoot specific scenes, if you didn't even have the movie's plot ironed out yet? Regardless of behind-the-scenes difficulties, the rush-job in no way sets the stage as we see it in the beginning of the Decade/W movie.

So Decade kills a shit-ton of Riders... some of whom show up just fine in the movie until he kills them again. Kuuga Ultimate (presumably Godai, since they deliberately removed the scene of Onodera being transformed) showing up to fight Decade as a mindless beast is a big deal... that is never followed up on. Onodera transforms into Ultimate in the movie, but is perfectly sane for the thirty seconds he's around before Decade kills him. Why is Tsukasa on his own? Did Natsumi drop him like a bad habit just because he defended himself against an unprovoked gank attempt by the other Riders? If he left of his own free will, why? He had made it perfectly clear that the studio was the closest thing to a home he would ever have. And he knows it's not the Rider style to just kill civilians that get in the way, so there isn't even a safety concern. Why is the ghost of Tackle following him, and why doesn't she realize she's a ghost? Furthermore, why was it never hinted that Dai Shocker was anything but gone after the previous movie?

Yeah, I think that's enough. The ending is absolutely fucked.
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #87
Mr. Yellow
Twitter - @MisturYellow

Decade has no story...and no ending.
Mr. Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #88
SmashZ
Power Ranger

The Nega and Diend worlds were written by Inoue and did fail in leading the show anywhere, I agree with those points. However, Inoue had nothing to do with anything else Decade related, so I don't think that reflects the condition of the overall production at the time.

The Shinkenger episodes reminded the viewer of the whole subplot about Tsukasa being rejected by the worlds and not knowing his home, which had fallen to the wayside after a while.

Dai Shocker was introduced solely to build up to its defeat in the movie. If the movie was the end of the series, then that would have been fine, but it wasn't.
That ties in with the production changes and movie tie in problems I was talking about though. All early material about the movie, even some descriptions that ended up in some dvds, claim that it's the end of Decade, even though it soon turned out to not be.

-Amazon's World was a step back down. The story is derivative without offering a unique spin to make up for it. There's an oppressive regime and Decade fights it. Yippee.
The point of that world was to show exactly what Dai-Shocker was, aside from a generic evil that must be defeated. It shows the kind of world that Dai-Shocker creates if it wins. And, again, at some late point of the show's production, they were planning to end everything with Dai-Shocker's defeat, supplanting the original fusion of worlds plots in importance. That ended up thrown away in the end when they greenlighted a second Decade movie, but that just highlights how messy production changes pretty much crippled the end of the show.

With Dai Shocker defeated in the movie, at long last something plot-relevant happens... and it's all build-up for another goddamn movie.
A movie that likely wasn't intended to exist until very close to its initial announcement, considering how comments from promotions and even interviews about All Riders vs Dai-Shocker all seemed to regard it as Decade's ending... until the movie was basically on theaters and we got an announcement regarding a December movie.

This was a last-minute patch job to make up for the astonishing lack of foresight in the original cuts of the episodes. Why would you ever set up a movie in such detail, even going so far as to shoot specific scenes, if you didn't even have the movie's plot ironed out yet? Regardless of behind-the-scenes difficulties, the rush-job in no way sets the stage as we see it in the beginning of the Decade/W movie.
It IS known that the movie went though heavy production changes. Originally it wasn't even a Decade/W movie. It was a double feature with two separate movies, not a crossover.

Like you've mentioned, they not only removed the trailer, but also had to eliminate the last few scenes of the series. All tied to a movie that basically wasn't made. The Movie Wars 2010 that we got isn't just a renamed "Decade vs All Riders", the movie doesn't even have "All Riders". It's something completely different, a double feature cut down and reshaped into a crossover, with likely many transitory periods during that shuffle, which results in the mess we ended up with.

Also, the original movie's format got some early movie theater listings, which is how the original title was leaked. That just shows how rushed the production overall and changes were.

Why is Tsukasa on his own? Did Natsumi drop him like a bad habit just because he defended himself against an unprovoked gank attempt by the other Riders? If he left of his own free will, why? He had made it perfectly clear that the studio was the closest thing to a home he would ever have.
In the movie that we ended up with, it's seemingly because he was playing villain to make Natsumi antagonize and kill him. Who knows what the original story was supposed to be about.

However, it should be noted that Decade killing all riders and then dying himself is something mentioned by Narutaki in the final tv episode. So, something like that likely always was part of the plot (The original teaser did have Natsumi talking about killing Decade while holding a weapon and wearing some kind of uniform, and also Kivaara attacking him).

Why is the ghost of Tackle following him, and why doesn't she realize she's a ghost?
Tackle's earliest bio for Movie Wars 2010 mentions that she was following Tsukasa after Stronger's death, because he was likely related to it. Of course, that has nothing to do with what ended up in the final movie, which is part of my point here.

A character like her was created for a completely different reason, and yet just kept in the movie in the end, likely because they had an actress and suit, even though the original reason for her presence completely vanished during production. In the end, the actual reason explained in the movie is a vague "because neither AU Tackle nor Tsukasa have anywhere they belong to", but that forced reason only exists in the first place because they had to keep her there even after they cut the plot actually tied to her - likely when they decided that it wouldn't be an "All Riders" feature. And this is a character who wasn't even in the initial teaser or other very early material that came alongside Decade's final tv episode.

On the other hand, Dai-Shocker remnants were always supposed to be part of the plot somehow, since they were mentioned in Decade's official site, in a temporary page that they had for the movie preview right after the tv finale.

The ending was a mess, but it was due to constant production and direction changes regarding the movies that were supposed to "finish" Decade's story - ending with his final movie reduced to a small segment of a crossover feature. If either All Riders vs Dai-Shocker had remained as the ending or they had followed through with the original Decade vs All Riders project, we likely wouldn't be looking at the same mess we're looking at right now. What we have is basically the result of the worst possible change of directions they could have gone though for this ending, multiple rushed revisions that ended up in an ending that was just a side feature in a crossover with W, who even dominates the crossover segment of the movie.

Last edited by SmashZ; September 29th, 2013 at 04:08 AM.
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #89
johnboy3434
Jack of Shadows

The point of that world was to show exactly what Dai-Shocker was, aside from a generic evil that must be defeated.
Except that's exactly what they showed it to be. If "I want to kill everyone" is the height of generic villainy, then "Everyone will submit to me" is only one step below that. Yeah, it has a much better track record of working in the real world*, but that doesn't make it profound or interesting.

*Largely because the former option immediately marks you as an enemy to everyone around you, while the latter leaves some wiggle room in forming an alliance or two.
Old September 28th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #90
Miraculous Bikkun
俺はここにいる!!

Another thing that hurts DCD is we know they tried to make it like Gokaiger before Gokaiger... and were denied. They wanted more returning actors and were denied. Bigger stories, nope. A higher impact movie, nope. It's like Toei decided to be Saban Brands that year. Hype up an exciting event and then do it as cheaply and restrictively as possible. Hell, this could be why the original writer left and never came back.
Miraculous Bikkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #91
tasti man LH
Just One Life

And so, after a very long time I finally, FINALLY reach the end of Kuuga!

The final battle between Godai and No. 0 arrives and...well, it doesn't exactly have the spectacle and flash of what you would find in the final battle with the big bad.

All it is is just two "fearsome" warriors, facing off together in an isolated field of snow, in the middle of a blizzard. And the business is done with how everything was settled; punching the crap out of each other until the other guy fell. Which in this case, resulted in the both of them KOing each other.

And the "final" episode, like Double in the years after, is more of an epilogue then anything. Life is finally settling down with the threat of the Grongi no longer lingering. All of our characters from before reminisce about Godai, wondering what he's doing right now. And, well, the guy is doing exactly what he says he was going to do: left to go out on another adventure.

Also, episode 50 is a tongue-in-cheek 4th wall breaking half of an episode that pokes fun of the cinematography choices during Kuuga, long before Akibaranger was even a thought in anyone's mind.

And so, I can finally start Agito. (yes, I am aware that there isn't much to the series that requires fore-knowledge of Kuuga)

Last edited by tasti man LH; September 29th, 2013 at 01:23 PM.
tasti man LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #92
Merlin
King among Kings

I've finally finished the second half of OOO, and I'm all caught up from Kiva through Wizard. Since someone's watching OOO, I'll spoiler everything.

I'd rather watch an annoying character than a boring character, and OOO has more boring characters in its cast than W or Fourze for me. Akiko can get annoying, and so can JK, Shunpei and Miu, but I have no desire to fast forward when they're on screen. Many times during OOO I was tempted to skip to fights or to the end of the ep to see outcomes, because I was falling asleep from what was being presented.

I like Eiji, and the notion of a completely selfless person being both the ultimate hero and potential to be the ultimate villain is intriguing. By the end of the series I liked Eiji a lot more, but seeing him collapse almost every time he used a core form, whether purple or not, got to be repetitive. Tajador is still my favourite form, and I wonder whether Putotyra;s gun inspired the Gaburevolver.

People compliment Hina on being the first even-tempered, sensible Rider Girl in years, and I applaud her for that. But she isn't used well for what she can be. Only when conflicts come up involving Shingo, or when Eiji's life is at stake by yet another new combo, does she shine. The rest of time, Hina is so plain Jane, damsel in distress, and not needed as a voice of reason when Eiji serves well enough.

The weakest character by far to me is Gotou, who spends half the series being the helper character to Date, and then the second half playing backup to Eiji with the cute little Sotonaka gimmick. I hate gimmick characters, and that's all Sotonaka is. She offers no insight, no contribution, she's literally only there to fire guns and wear sexy outfits. But Gotou never held my attention more than Date did, and his medical condition could have been stretched out more as the series progressed instead of having him abruptly leave. Gotou is not a worthy replacement character except that he brings the Rider age back down to the usual late teens. Date suddenly returning to join in almost seems like an excuse to shoehorn him in when people were sorry to see him leave.

The series only started to get interesting when Ankh's inner war began in the late 30s, which seems to me when most Rider series lately do. I loved the episodes with Shingo's return and the conflicts that were set up. By far my favourite episode of the entire series was where the crowd of people were calling for OOO and Hina actually tried to prevent Eiji helping them. Ankh's grappling with which side to join is such a pleasure to watch and I can see why he's a fan favourite.

Maki was an interesting villain for about the length of his focus eps, and to give Chiyoko some involvement with the story (thank gawd). Once the big story was meant, he was only engaging near the end when he started to awaken Eiji's Greed. But by far the best episode was the penultimate when Kougami confronted him on the building and the intent behind Maki and OOO was revealed in depth. I love how the colours red and purple were so important to the series and how both sides were rife with them.

Speaking of colours, I will not miss a single one of the Greeds. They were pathetic. They're by far the worst villains of the Neo era for me, virtually nothing kept me interested in them save for Ankh's interactions when he joined them. I don't even remember their names by heart.

So like most recent series, OOO hits some of the buttons for me, but not all, and unlike W, Fourze and even Wizard several of its key characters are critically lacking in the dynamic I like. But OOO continues to have the funnest theme song that always make me giggle, and even some better jazz tracks than W.

Time to head backwards to Kabuto and Den-O, with Kuuga on the go.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #93
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Faiz 11-15:

People's lives are the planet's future? While Yuji has sworn to protect humans and has convinced Naoya to at least not attack them, Yuka has gone a step further. Not only is she casting judgement upon humans by executing the bad ones, but she's also swearing to save them. She's become to humans what Smart Brain is to life, unilaterally deciding to shape it according to her design. But while Yuji and Smart Brain are dealing in absolutes - humans must be protected (regardless of who they are), or Orphenochs must be eliminated if they're not killing humans (regardless of the reasons for doing or not doing so), Yuka is running into moral gray areas, especially given that her punishments are disproportionate to the crimes. Stopping an assault or a robbery is one thing, but would she kill a guy just for acting like a jerk? If Takumi were to attack the Orphenoch form of Yuji or Naoya, whom would she side with? Overall, is she helping or hurting the humans? Playing God and creating some utopia is bound to fail; taking Yuka's or Smart Brain's visions to their logical limits, everyone would die, and the ends wouldn't justify the means.

Love triangles can create all types of drama, but it's made all the more hilarious when one character is two points on the same triangle. Leave it to Keitarou to cheat on his pen pal with herself, and cause her to feel depressed to the point of trying to cheat on him with Naoya, leaving unrequited love as he unsuccessfully pursues the uninterested Mari. With the dramatic irony of no one knowing they're falling in love with their "enemy", it's about to take a drastic turn: Yuka might be experiencing a Florence Nightingale effect with Takumi and they've discovered each other's identities; coupled with all the conflicts set up, the tension should be reaching a breaking point.

Takumi's and Yuji's parallel stories continue to be just that - parallel. Their paths have crossed, but mostly unknowingly. They're both hunted by Smart Brain, but they're only interacting indirectly with each other (if even at all, in some cases). It's actually nice, though. It gives a chance for the side characters to have their stories, building up to their inevitable interaction as everyone gets a chance at character development.

Ryuusei, ready? The mystery of Mari's "father" opens wider with the introduction of his other "children". For one, he's sending Rider Belts to people who can't effectively use them, with Kaixa actually killing the user and Faiz having a failsafe. Interestingly, phi and chi are two of the final letters in the Greek alphabet, as there is a sense of finality in becoming Kaixa. And there's got to be some implication with Ryuusei being a cram school opposing Smart Brain; both groups are implied to be hyper-intelligent, in contrast to the protagonists who are just ordinary humans/Orphenochs.

Kusaka obviously got off on the wrong foot with Takumi, but it doesn't seem like they'll ever be in accord. It goes beyond some competition of egos like with Kabuto and Sasword - there's a fundamental and probably irreconcilable difference in their philosophies. Kusaka, like Smart Brain, sees it as humans versus Orphenochs, but Takumi sees it as good versus evil (or rather somewhat morally acceptable versus morally questionable). A difference like this, combined Kusaka's refusal to explain something important to his friends, escalated rather quickly, with both calling on their vehicles and strongest weapons against each other. In the end, though, isn't that what Smart Brain wants? Whatever he's hiding has to be big (it may explain the school's entire situation and why he can become Kaixa without dying), yet he plays it off as something trivial. It may indicate he's manipulating everyone, or that he just doesn't care.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #94
Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Uggghhhh. Faiz is my least favorite series, and Kusaka is no small reason for that.
Rey_Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #95
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

OOO 5-8: Regardless of the problems he was having, there should be an option for Eiji to just ride a vending machine into battle as a vending machine instead of a bike! I demand a vending machine on wheels, is there anything wrong with that!? Kougami's rich, he can probably do something about that!

As I was thinking recently about how the Money Dopant two-parter in W felt like a test run for a lot of the concepts of OOO, I started to notice that 5-6 had certain elements that could be a dry-run for the season after OOO. The main story involved a high school girl (going to the same school as Hina) who was obsessed in shopping, buying things whenever she could and filling her apartment her daddy gave her with it. Due to this shop-a-holic syndrome, Mezool decided to use her for Yummy creation and created a creepy scenario where the power of the Yummy built up as roe behind her head until it was ready to hatch as a swarm of pirhanas. Most of the story at first appeared to be Hina (and by connection Eiji) trying to cure the girl of her shopping obsession, yet it is made worse through her father suddenly becoming bankrupt and her losing her steady stream of income. For the first time, she was forced to realize the limits of wealth and the ideas of "what is given can be taken away". Initially she is in denial about the whole scenario, deciding to just take out her stress in buying more things and even trying to throw her daddy's money away, but Eiji appeared to understand through the idea that perhaps her "greed" isn't so bad if just a bit misguided in that she never learned any aspects of finance or about how to manage and maintain whatever money comes in. Those with money in many cases always seem to have so much that they don't care where it comes from as long as they keep getting it and they can use it for themselves. Yet once money gets tight or finances become forced to be budgeted, then one can understand where it comes from, how to deal with it, and perhaps be able for a bit of indulgence yet be able to budget and take care of their means of maintenance. I made the mention to the "season after OOO" for this mostly because of the build-up of the story, with Mezool slowly manipulating and controlling the girl and her Yummy creation through her shopping habit until it nearly devours her, with a fellow high schooler trying to help her overcome her problems...but then again, with this the fall of 2010 and a Kamen Rider franchise, it's not like there is ever going to be some "high school series" so ignore anything I just said.

In a similar fashion, 5-6 seemed to bring up similar ideas and concepts involving budgeting, yet in this case with Ankh and Kougami's mutual pursuit of Cell Medals. Ankh needs Cell Medals to maintain or assist in rebuilding himself for when he gets Core Medals back; yet the same Cell Medals are key for using everything in Kougami's little world system. Ankh and Eiji need to budget which Cell Medals they can use and when, yet it is Kougami who likewise needs to collect Cell Medals for his own purposes and without any real means to do so (maybe Gotou but he really is more about wanting to be OOO himself as of late). Cake-master turns out to be really shrewd in his system, even shutting down all his vending machines and forcing Ankh into a deal in order for Eiji to merely use a bike to chase after the Greeed/Yummy, as if he has the means to control whatever is going on in this city and that, as much as the Greeed/Ankh want to play by a certain set of rules, they're within the territory of someone who wants to manipulate things himself and are forced by this as long as they're within said territory. Other than making profit, its hard to say why Kougami wants Cell Medals but that's probably for another story.

7-8 gave us another side that tries to make one understand the difference between "Greed" and "Ambition", even if there is a potential mutuality. While the story regarding the useless husband and the demanding wife felt a bit much at times, the purpose of the story was more or less about the husband's loss of drive due to his previous successes: he was so successful as a photographer that he forgot about why he took pictures in the first place and chose to live in success, to the point he squandered all his funds and was obsessed in getting a winning lottery ticket instead of becoming a photographer again. I thought it was a bit selfish that the wife would literally throw the lottery ticket away and not even use a bit of funds but the story was probably trying to drive a "money isn't everything" idea even though the series seems to thrive about the positive aspects of greed through many of Eiji's speeches up to now.

Within the main story, things are heating up with the Greeed essentially turning against each other and more realizations of the personalities of the beings. Kazari is the easiest to anger and seems to be played the fool more by Ankh than others, while Uva appears a bit slyer and more in tune to using society. Mezool seems to show signs of being the brains and seems to keep her cool and boss the others around (though its weird she's running around in high school outfits) while Gamel is simple; even to the point of using merely his own Cell Medals for Yummy creation that Ankh states are ultimately "worthless" when defeated. (but still powerful as heck as the Buffalo Yummy proved) The Core Medal merry-go-round is in full swing with Ankh, Uva and Kazari going at each other and even the weird revelation of Kougami having one; while Eiji reveals his first "triple combo" with the "classic Rider-esque" Gatakiriba made from three insect Cores. (two based on classic Rider insects while the third...well there has been a Mantis Rider but I think it was an enemy) The "triple combo" seem to be more powerful but more exhausting to Eiji so I figure that he has to save them as trump cards while using other, more creative combos" for battles, which suits me due to the great mix-and-match feel of the season.
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:23 AM   #96
Rey_Alejandro
Hispanic at the disco

Don't get too attached to GataKiriBa. CG budget means that that doesn't show up often.
Rey_Alejandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 05:47 AM   #97
Truncated Power Rangers
Halle Berry's Assets

Thirty-two episodes into Kabuto, and I have to admit, this show isn't nearly as good as I remembered it being. It's muddled, confusing, and trying to throw way too many "twists" in for its own good.

I haven't even gotten to the Native malarchy yet.
Truncated Power Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #98
SmashZ
Power Ranger

Well, technically, you've already gone through a bunch of episodes that make the Native's existence obvious, even if they hadn't made their official debut.
Old September 30th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #99
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Rey_Alejandro wrote: View Post

Don't get too attached to GataKiriBa. CG budget means that that doesn't show up often.
Yeah I sort of figure that CG TF usually aren't used as often; thus probably why I don't mind the way Eiji's doing it now. Plus with how many combinations there can be (obviously the Red, Yellow and Green Medals but Gray and Blue are also hinted at), at least there are plenty of finishers out there even if Eiji doesn't use a complete combo.

Not to mention the preview hints at another full combo in 9.
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #100
Truncated Power Rangers
Halle Berry's Assets

Well, technically, you've already gone through a bunch of episodes that make the Native's existence obvious, even if they hadn't made their official debut.
Well, yeah, the "two meteors" since the flashback makes it apparent.
Truncated Power Rangers is offline   Reply With Quote