RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: LET'S GET READY TO something.
1 - Bad 2 3.70%
2 - Poor 6 11.11%
3 - Fair 12 22.22%
4 - Good 25 46.30%
5 - Excellent 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #41
Allio
Power Ranger

Then power rangers would be owned by cows. INstead of Krispy Kreme, the final battle of reboot will be at Chick fil a
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #42
archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Then power rangers would be owned by cows. INstead of Krispy Kreme, the final battle of reboot will be at Chick fil a
Sounds better than Meow Rangers .
archer9234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:17 PM   #43
RangerLobo-Guara
Power Ranger

The good episodes and the bad episodes good points shows that they really know the right way to make it a good season. Why are not them always following that path?
RangerLobo-Guara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:29 PM   #44
⚡Dukemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenotome View Post
It's almost as though this is a television program made cheaply from another television program. If the fight footage is good, you use it. There was still plenty of out of suit footage and their own fight footage used in this episode.
Not what I meant lol. The Ninninger footage was the only part of the episode that had any semblance. And considering Ninninger isn't all that good to begin with, the fact that the New Zealand stuff makes it look good is an issue.

This season just feels like Power Rangers by the numbers. Even Overdrive, which I can't stand, at least put something together in terms of a complete show. Heck, even Megaforce was able to do it prior to SMF. Yeah, Megaforce is thin as a sheet of paper, but it at least gave the illusion something was happening.
Dukemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:44 PM   #45
Digifiend
RangerWiki sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1995 View Post
Agreed. Mr. Henderson should get a freaking Oscar.
I think you mean an Emmy. Oscars are for movies.
Digifiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 12:58 PM   #46
Akumaru
Power Ranger

The Lion Armor and Lion Fire Zord were great, interesthing they had this Power-up so soon in Ninja Steel...
Akumaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #47
Icon-UK
Accentuate the positive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Given that Victor is clearly pushing 35 and looks older than most of the school's teaching staff, I'd say there's a fairly good chance of that.

Which means the next 25 or so episodes could've been saved, if Victor and Monty had been thrown into prison and we'd never have to see them ever again. Alas, we're just not that lucky.
Judging by the apparent average age of the student body in any crowd scene (like at the weight lifting demonstration) it seems a fair bet that thie High School is sharing premises with a community college.
Icon-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #48
ZandarLantyriel
Bandora's Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon-UK View Post
Judging by the apparent average age of the student body in any crowd scene (like at the weight lifting demonstration) it seems a fair bet that thie High School is sharing premises with a community college.
That is a thing. Community colleges often have "Middle College" in which high school aged students take college level intro GE courses.
ZandarLantyriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #49
Jus1995
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
I think you mean an Emmy. Oscars are for movies.
True, true. I'm really going to miss Mick after this season's ended.
Jus1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #50
Alitain
God of Benevolence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMystechRanger View Post
So he didn't want them to stop Victor because people might ask questions...but he forgets that they could easily pass that device off as another one of Sarah's crazy inventions.
But then they'd be obligated to give it away to a poor kid after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium321 View Post
Man, under that armor was an actually decent costume, I am legitimately surprised.

So the Lion zord is going back to the Lion Galaxy? Does that mean Viera will be recurring whenever the footage calls for the zord or battlizer? Seems like a good way to limit the usage of the power up, but did Ninninger have a limit on the suit or something?

This episode was good, Viera was awful but not distractingly so, even though the resolution to Mick distrusting her was rushed Mick made it feel like a logical "ok, you have convinced me" route with the parents thing. It was also good because it almost had no Victor and Monty. They're almost getting the percentage of time for these guys right, zero percentage.
This exactly, with Viera's costume. I didn't expect under that armor to actually have something good. Why couldn't they have done that outfit for the ranger's training suits? Splash the respective colors on it, and you got something way better than the stupid training outfits.

I found it odd that the Lion ship was going back. Then again Viera had no way to return so I guess she had to take the ship with her. But still. Maybe they'll summon it back at some point and it'll stay. Ninninger didn't have a limit on the suit, it was your typical red ranger power up and zord. Which means it was used basically every episode.

Yeah, I admit I was surprised to find the episode wasn't bad. I think probably because it was pretty simple and straightforward. Fix the ship, fight Drillion, fight Drillion in the new Lion zord, watch Victor make a fool of himself. Oh, and on the Victor thing? I feel like Preston could've just magicked it away. And realistically Victor would've probably broken something as his body was suddenly having to support two tons before it crushed him into the floor, but besides that they totally would've fallen anywhere but right down into the hole. They basically just jumped in which was silly. But it is NSt, and Victor and Monty, so whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldAnyRanger View Post
My theory is, the cow's testimony wouldn't hold up in court, as it's a cow, and no one speaks cow.
You mean it wasn't...moooving enough?

Last edited by Alitain; September 25th, 2017 at 05:07 AM.
Alitain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:46 AM   #51
Peter
On vacation.

Right, new episode. Let's see how much I end up despising Victor and Monty at the end of this ep?

Right, so, the drill-lion-thing goes to kill Madam Odious, and literally within ten seconds, she's offering him a power-up? THAT SEEMS LEGIT.

I know it's mean, but Viera's acting is just ... not good. I can't shake the feeling that they dubbed her, given all the dialogue she's saying while her back is to the camera.

"I managed to crash-land." No, if your ship crash-landed, obviously you weren't in control of the situation. And if you "managed" to get the ship down, then it didn't crash-land, did it? I just, I can't even process how bad this is, right now.

Yeah Mick, I mean, she's trying her best. And surely the writers and directors have some responsibility here and ... oh, you mean because her family sold your family into slave labour? Right. Got it. Carry on.

So Mick gets a meaty back-story, but also has to suffer through an immediate change of heart? I don't mean to be overly-critical, but this entire scene in the Ninja Steel base is like one long kick-to-the-balls. This is horrible.

And Victor and Monty have yet another subplot which contributes nothing to the story or characters other than waste everybody's time? I hate them, and hope a giant alien steps on them. Victor, you're in your 40s. It's time you graduated high school.

"The Western Woods? I think that's where my ship crashed!" Well, for a start, either it crashed or it didn't, princess, make up your mind. Secondly, you're an alien princess from an improbably-named galaxy. How do you even know what the Western Woods are and I honestly don't even care anymore.

If he gets a power-up and screams, "This is epic!" I'm gonna be so mad, I'm not even joking.

When Mick was monologuing to the princess about how she's really changed, I wanted to punch something.

"Lion fire mode is epic!" I hate you Brody.

Did the final scene need this many close-up shots of Chris Reid's butt in the workout spandex? For some reason, it's making me even more annoyed.

I don't know whether it's late and I had a crappy day at work (and one of my favourites got voted off Australian Survivor tonight), but man. That was bad. I can think of maybe two good things about the episode. Firstly, the lion fire armour didn't look as clumsy or awkward on Brody's morphed form as it did on Viera (almost, but not quite). And the second good thing about the episode?

It's over.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:52 AM   #52
rb123
Corinth Ranger

This two parter has been more enjoyable than most of Ninja Steel up to this point. I really like what Vierra brought to the show; it definitely has hints of 90s Sentai villains. We even got a little backstory for Mick in this episode! One of my biggest complaints with the premier was that we know next to nothing about Mick or why he was on that ship. Now we know, and it's a satisfying answer.

I was annoyed by the music in this episode, as I usually am. But the scene with Mick not trusting Vierra was genuinely well-acted, so to have that awful music blaring over it (rather than under it, like most scores do during freaking dialogue) was very distracting and annoying.

The "Battleizer" was pretty awesome! I really like the design, and the fight was pretty cool. I like the new Megazord too (not sure if I love the pilot sitting point blank in front of the chest... seems very silly to me).

In a remarkable bit of subtlety, Mick and Vierra possess the ability to turn into objects, which makes sense given that they come from the same world. But it's never stated outright! That's some good world-building, and something I found very interesting.

This is a 4/5. Last week's feels more like a 3 in retrospect, but this is a strong 4. And that's grading on a harsh Ninja Steel/Neo Saban curve.

Side note: The Lion Galaxy is still a very silly name. Lionix Galaxy? Leo Galaxy? There were other names that could have conveyed the same idea.

Last edited by rb123; September 25th, 2017 at 06:59 AM.
rb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #53
Jus1995
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
So Mick gets a meaty back-story, but also has to suffer through an immediate change of heart? I don't mean to be overly-critical, but this entire scene in the Ninja Steel base is like one long kick-to-the-balls. This is horrible.
Agreed. I'm guessing that there might have been a plan to have Viera stay around longer at some stage and Mick would slowly learn to trust her. After all, her armour is needed for the Lion Fire powerup, and her Zord will be needed for the inevitable Ultrazord, so having her stay for a few episodes would be an okay idea in terms of character development for both her and Mick. Maybe even have her return home after the finale, taking Mick with her so that they can free the other slaves. But either those plans were scrapped at the last minute, or the executives looked at the original script and said "This is good and all. But what kids really want to see is what happened to Fucknut and Gimp, so let's shorten this potentially interesting character arc to about half an episode so we can focus on our comic relief."

This episode was good by Ninja Steel Standards, but those Standards are very low indeed. And the sooner we get Victor and Monty out of the picture, the better.
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #54
dark ranger 86
Libra Ranger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb123 View Post
Side note: The Lion Galaxy is still a very silly name. Lionix Galaxy? Leo Galaxy? There were other names that could have conveyed the same idea.
Well we have to save something for Power Rangers Space Balls.
dark ranger 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 09:47 AM   #55
archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Basically the rule of thumb with Ninja Steel. Any story towards to series must be over within 1-2 episodes. No matter how potentially good it can be. Adain's reveal was within 4 episodes. That's the longest anything has reached on the show.

Quote:

This episode was good by Ninja Steel Standards, but those Standards are very low indeed. And the sooner we get Victor and Monty out of the picture, the better.
Well that won't happen because of them filming their last scene in Super Steel. From a twitter comment.
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #56
ShadowJoker
Crimson Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
Well that won't happen because of them filming their last scene in Super Steel. From a twitter comment.
I'm willing to bet my life this scene contains a physics-breaking fart joke
ShadowJoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #57
Peter
On vacation.

Quote:
But what kids really want to see is what happened to Fucknut and Gimp, so let's shorten this potentially interesting character arc to about half an episode so we can focus on our comic relief.
Okay, just telling you now ... the nicknames Fucknut and Gimp are the greatest thing that's come out of this whole season so far.

And I will probably use those liberally in the future.

But I still really, really hated this episode.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #58
archer9234
Ranger Review Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJoker View Post
Agreed. 5$ that their very last shot contains a fart.
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:48 PM   #59
Jus1995
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer9234 View Post
Hmm. How to react to this. Oh, I got it.
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #60
CheckeredRanger
OMG THIS IS SO EPIC!!11!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowJoker View Post
Followed by Brody saying,"Wow,that fart was EPIC!"
CheckeredRanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lion fire battlizer, situation with gravity