RangerBoard

Go Back   RangerBoard > Forums > Discussions
Register Rules/FAQ VIP Membership Calendar Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: If I were to bring back a weekend watch (as a marathon method), what would you want?
Finish "Chouseishin Justirisers" 8 22.22%
Finish "Kamen Rider V3" 4 11.11%
Kamen Rider Fourze 8 22.22%
Avatar: The Last Airbender 10 27.78%
Sailor Moon ('92-'97) 5 13.89%
Other (Say what in the thread) 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 19th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #2341
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoMystechRanger View Post
Somehow, I doubt Phoenix would be able to regenerate in Chimera's stomach, therefore he would still be hungry.
It feels sadly like that was the only reason why they had to keep Nitou out of the final battle: it would just be too easy for Haruto to beat Phoenix down and then Nitou eats him. But the sun solution...doesn't work really either.

Quote:
This is exactly what everyone had to think when this first aired.
It just feels like they keep finding ways for Iroh to break the rules. He's cool and I like him but this whole "screw heaven, I'm living forever with spirits" thing just feels like a move too far IMHO.

-----

Mahou Sentai Magiranger vs. Dekaranger

I just hope Tsubasa doesn't tell the Deka to keep an eye on the crazy afro guy who looks like him that's out there in space and his infamy.

Magic and space police: can they truly work together? In a franchise where a lot of strange combinations have been offered, this is probably one of the most offbeat up to now, where two series with two different streams of thought (hard sci-fi vs. fluffy fantasy) must collide into a Vs. movie. However if there is something that does ultimately bring both teams together, it the element of feelings and working for a goal of a family, whether it be an actual one or one that is built from the associates you're working together with.

The general idea of the story: the "heir" to Abrella's legacy is actually a former Hades Beastman who somehow went into space and made his name as a trader similar to the previous villain agent. His goal in the special is to use another Alienizer to help get his hand on an artifact known as the Flower of Heaven, which has to be boosted with love every ten years or else a massive calamity is to occur. The Flower of Heaven was in possession by Miyuki Ozu, but due to her being gone her children have decided to make work of trying to make the power boosted on their own, but it's made hard both due to the Alienizers and the Dekaranger, who don't know if they can trust civilians like them, even magically powered ones, in dealing with this threat. I think it's a bit different from the dealing with the Abaranger in that it isn't that they're Sentai and thus not capable...it's more that the Alienizer threat may be too much, even though you can say that the Magiranger end up facing eldritch horrors of their own due to what Infershia throws at them. Ultimately the teams find out that they have more in common than they don't, in particular to their views of family and protecting those they care about. The pairings end up rather peculiar due to the colors being a bit strange: we get Pinks and Greens together (thus Sen/Umeko fans get an easy set with Makito/Houka), but Jasmine ends up with Urara after she's captured and comisserate on her situation of being disconnected from her family with the most serious Ozu; while Houji ends up likewise with Tsubasa and their whole "support aspect".

As for Kai and Ban, obviously they don't get along at first but sort of learn to sympathize due to their own situation. It helps that Ban basically is driven due to his duty with Fire Squad but also flashes back to the first episode where he won't let go of a criminal until they're brought to justice due to them hurting or killing a family that he sympathized with. Obviously both have their childish moments, but they're more similar than you'd think in caring for emotions and loved ones. The special I think gets a bit sappy especially with a really downbeat ending that tries to be cute but also remind us "yeah, Miyuki's still dead/missing at this point" and it has a lot of weird and infamous moments (Tetsu and Hikaru's girl-cosplay; the infamous "Girls In Trouble" battle with the Nightmare Sisters), but it does work to get it's point across.

It's just too bad only Tsubasa and Hikaru show up for next year's cross-over...really, having more connection of magic and Precious would have been neat. But instead we get...
Ataruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #2342
AshiusX
Inoue-ist

I could have sworn that you reviewed this film earlier.
AshiusX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #2343
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

The best line of the film has to be "Maji de ka?".

Interesting how the Dekarangers this time recognize there are things outside of their expertise, in contrast with telling the amateurs to butt out. It's growth on their end. Of course, growth is a major aspect since their show was all about the episodic mysteries and the characters, and the character development was the driving force behind the overall narrative. Family wasn't exactly a theme of the show, but the analogy made here showing how they grew into a family makes sense.

Funny how fiery Reds clash. I guess they burn differently.
timegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 06:32 PM   #2344
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshiusX View Post
I could have sworn that you reviewed this film earlier.
I did. I've been redoing all the Vs. movies as build-up to Gokaiger. I started last year when I did my Ohranger watch and sort of just marathoning the ones I haven't done in this set (there were three new ones BTW; two I've done so far) as I get to that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timegold View Post
The best line of the film has to be "Maji de ka?".
Jasmine tends to get the best lines.

-----

GoGo Sentai Boukenger vs. Super Sentai

Fribeejo: Oh what a week I've had: my boss tried to destroy the universe, then I was chased by a giant worm in some dino world, and now I'm a staff...teacher, can I take the test again tomorrow?

Obviously when you are the anniversary between one big series (Gaoranger) and another (the series I'll be getting to soon), you sort of have to scale things back a bit when celebrating even at the cost of the series that came before it. Thus like how we had Gao vs. SS prior, now we have Bouken vs. SS be less about the 29 previous series and more about...well, the five prior to Boukenger and a big ham named AkaRed. AkaRed I'm sort of torn about even now: he does embody the franchise's origins, but at the same time he feels even hammier than the actual experiences. Having seen every Sentai from Gorenger to Goseiger, there is no point in franchise history where AkaRed would fit. In a way, he feels just as much an embodiment of what they believe the franchise is and not necessarily the franchise as is; more just an interpretation as what happens to eras long after they're over and done with. Obviously having him come in and form his own Sentai team when the Boukenger are captured by a Majin (so it was a Majin...WHERE'S THE JETMAN REPRESENTATIVE!?) who controls time and revives the three "dark priests" in the places they died (and again proves how bizarre things get with cross-overs: Meemy was fine since Magiranger never got something post-series; but Tsuetsue came back in the collapsed Org Matrix...and I assume Fribeejo was where she died when she and Wendinu joined with Sundaru after realizing Tao Zant was nuts) in order to create a super staff for...um...proving power I suppose. The special is more about Eiji learning about what it takes to form a team, which i think is appropriate since he was just throw on the Boukenger much later after Chief and his squad were long built up as a squadron, though has to go through the difficulty of the worlds by which he now is dealing with with how combined they all end up being. (you do wonder why he didn't find some Sentai heroes who weren't busy but...eh, they were trying to mostly keep it Gao-Magi) At the same time, more or less Eiji and the others meet Hikaru and Smokey in sub-space as they all just try to get out and join with Eiji, the squad (Nanami, Asuka...who was with his second child, not Mikoto, Tetsu and Tsubasa) and the big ham that is AkaRed to deal with the crisis at hand.

While the special was chaotic with the limits it did have, it does at least lay the groundwork for what's coming. Obviously if AkaRed knows of all Rangers and can reach them, let alone become any Red he chooses, it does show that there are "Greater Powers" out there that are available if they become so. Obviously it will take time before the full extent of "changes" can occur...but one wonders what it would take for AkaRed to reach that. Maybe a job in piracy?

Oh and it's weird how much Gao reference we get with Tsuetsue and the Soul Advent but no Gaorangers. Maybe it's for the better. All they can teach the Boukenger is about Rick Astley.
Old September 20th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #2345
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Yeah, even in crossovers, they don't quite care about all the continuity (did those other Vs Specials happen or not?), but at least they care enough about advancing the characters. It's the natural growth of the returning veterans and it shows how they've advanced.

But for Aka Red, funny how he takes the place of "Gao God Ex Machina" (as Kakeru's probably busy with a hypochondriac pet owner; besides, he's long forgotten about Rick Astley by now). And that he's a spirit without mythos built up around him, just an embodiment that's symbolic. And if he does go into piracy... he'd better watch his back. (If he chooses not to keep a zoo, then the concept is more or less dead, or at least severely comatose.)
Old September 21st, 2017, 06:40 PM   #2346
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
But for Aka Red, funny how he takes the place of "Gao God Ex Machina" (as Kakeru's probably busy with a hypochondriac pet owner; besides, he's long forgotten about Rick Astley by now).
Seriously, that's something Kakeru is "never gonna give up".

-----

Juken Sentai Gekiranger vs. Boukenger

No, not Auckland! Now where are they going to film Power Rangers!?

The world of martial arts is something that always brings forth adventures, especially when you have someone like Jan around as your student. But of course sometimes an adventure can sprout out when martial arts meets up with it, such as what happens due to the legend of an opponent Brusa E once lost to. His name was Pacah Qamac, a space martial artist who barely beat the Juken master and who made a deal of sealing his massive power on Earth as gratitude for the amazing fight. Unfortunately, the qi becomes targeted by his descendant, Pacha Qamac 12th, who sees if of course as his means to prove his own power. Apparently he was rather infamous on his own and was sealed on another planet that Akashi and Sakura happened to be on when he decided to make his move...and lucky for them, a martial arts team happened to be the incumbent to help them out of this jam!

This was a peculiar and interesting movie in particular due to spicing up some of the pairings at first between the teams and the Rangers. The main triangle end up not with Akashi but with the three remainder Boukenger: Masumi, Souta and Natsuki, who end up trying to convince them that BoukenRed is on the up and up (and Sakura too since Natsuki and her were pals) despite the situation that lead to the Pacha Qamac crisis. Eiji tags along and is part of the team but he seems to be more working the auxiliarity, which ultimately of course has him teaming with Gou and Ken during the movie's climax. Rio and Mele's own usage is peculiar in that it keeps with their nebulous nature: they're tempted by the power Pacha Qamac offers them but end up turning against him when it doesn't suit them and they realize their manipulation; strangely if you place this before the Genjuken arc, it sort of feels like foreshadowing of what Long has in store for both of them. (though without the psychological mess that ends up occurring in the process) Amazingly Jan only pairs with Akashi during the climax but I think he gathered enough from the others to know how niki-niki and waki-waki he is...so at least it does all work out in the end.

Well for him; I still say Natsuki works better partnered with Ken in Juken matters and Gou and he shouldn't just be scarfing down raw vegetables in a way that could lead to a stomachache against an expert.

(as a side note: rewatching the stuff from Deka, Magi, Bouken and Geki does make me want to rewatch these shows...eventually I suppose but maybe I could have learned some new insights in them...)
Old September 21st, 2017, 11:06 PM   #2347
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

It's an interesting approach: like in Gekiranger, there's a sense of compactness with everyone fulfilling a specific role and having some interconnected importance. To the logical limit, that meant absolutely no footsoldiers appeared, just the higher-ups and monsters-of-the-movie. It also emphasized the competitive sports aspect in a sense, in having more or less even matches throughout, starting with the fight between the two Sentai.

It's also interesting how Satoru and Masumi switched roles, with Satoru being the one who went rogue in the fake betrayer routine. (He has adventured off on his own before, but Masumi's the one who faced a dark story.) Masumi's growth into his role as de facto leader, despite Souta having more seniority, is the extension of his competitiveness with Satoru.

Rio and Mele are entirely built around foreshadowing their eventual turn, and keeping the theme of the coexistence of yin and yang. Long's probably just waiting on the sidelines as usual, so this probably makes more sense before he revealed himself to Rio, but if he recognized that foreshadowing...
Old September 23rd, 2017, 05:58 AM   #2348
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

I do like that Masumi is the stable one for once with Akashi...basically protecting the crap Sakura pulled by reviving Pacha Kamaq. As for Rio and Mele...eh, I figured they knew of Long but I know only Mele did and he was working as more an "imaginary friend" to her until after the Rinjuken leaders died.

-----

The Puppet Blaster: aka: PULL THE STRING!

Captain Pete? Don't tell me someone else has passed Lieutenant Stone too? First the dog, now this!

Oh, those generic kids programs and their wacky yellow jackets and their bizarre puppet mascots. We're here for toku action, not...this guy!

One thing I do admit though: unique...really "unique"...version of the Pinocchio robot from Oh.

Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends...

Hey, "pastrami" is a good deli meat, give it some respect!

Really I would have gone with "artichoke". Teach kids to eat their vegetables; it is that sort of franchise.

"Say the secret word and the duck'll come down." (Groucho eyeball twerk)

And as usual, here's Nickelodeon's not-intended audience.

Ernie: provider of illegal substances, now providing pointless distraction for users of said illegal substances.

Give back? Um Ernie, with your association with the school, why do you need time to release the nightmare of Puppetman upon us all?

Whose your favorite superhero? Well I like She-Hulk myself if you're talking American, as for Japanese...well OK, still haven't seen "My Hero Academia" but...um, Suppaman?

Tommy: Yeah, we're awesome.

Come on, it's just water. It's not like they said "I don't know".

Oh great, Mondo's just like the rulers from "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang". Now all we need is a hot girl in a frau outfit as a toy doll...eh, Kat and Tanya aren't good enough, let's bring back "random I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger" hispanic girl, she'll do.

OK, so that's where the "baby" plot of Oh went. Better than the nightmares of the actual plot with...ugh...Puppetman...

It's so smashing...no I'm not destroying things, I'm British, get it right!

PULL THE STRING! (bison runs by)

And back with non-puppet activities, Adam's being useful with Tanya.

See, footwork. Least it isn't hip-hop akido.

Didn't I see this in a J-Lo movie?

Hit me with your best shot! Fire...(Aisha hits in wrong place) NOT THERE!

Adam: Maybe I should avoid the Pat Benetar. Or stick with "Hell is for Children". (no wait, that's the Captain Pete show Tommy went to)

Seriously, the Tanya/Adam one-on-one works way better than "Billy the Ultimate Disciple".

Hey, what was the trick? Pete's juggling's boring!

And speaking of "Captain"...yeah, Stone, you're about to be bossed around by a puppet.

And it's one of those "watch the trouble kid" episodes for Bulk and Skull. We know what wacky adventures they'll be up to.

Cute? HE'S WEARING A MULLET!

Told you so. I swear he's a Dishonest John fan.

Now you'll watch this terrifying puppet show and you'll like it!

I like your usage of "smashing" sire, so does that mean I get the job?

How will you control the Power Rangers with Puppetman? I can't even say they like this show so they could leave early. (or just leave it to Adam and Tanya)

And now...MORE JUGGLING!

Yeah, Rocky's got the mentality of a 5-year old, of course he'd like it.

And now for our new characters: the gold-plated robot dance corp! (we're seeing if they'll catch on like the Putties)

Captain John: I told the agency "no upstaging evil dancing robots!"

What do they want? What else: stardom.

For all we know, they just brainwashed a man in a suit...then again it's Power Rangers: Puppetman's already a guy in a suit.

Don't give the brat popcorn; he'd do just...that...

Come crawling faster; obey your master!

Yeesh, even the Cogs aren't water-resistant. Seriously, the Machine Empire's invasion could end with one aptly timed rainstorm.

Bring the Cogs back? But the dance troupe could help the world domination scheme!

"Wasn't that fun?" Um...well it wasn't bad but where did the Cogs go?

Lucky the Cogs didn't put it too close to the crack lest it be an anal probe.

And there's the Dora Pinokiller costume. Time for this Puppetman act to go up to 11!

Head exercises! 1, 2, 3, 4!

Random adult in audience is as worried as the Rangers. Maybe he should meet with Zordon.

Dur...I am helpless and stupified...derp.

Kat, what's wrong is that Derpy's about to emerge 15 years early and there are no Bronys around to realize it!

I wouldn't trust him to lead the way, he's that brat Bulk and Skull were supposed to take care of.

DESTROY THE YOUTH CENTER WITH...NON-DANGEROUS CRAP THAT THEY BROUGHT IN FOR THE SHOW!

Man, the other adults that aren't us suck. Aren't you glad I'm...er, we're Power Rangers?

Tommy: "Alpha, there's a robot out there creepier than you...he looks cool now but that makes him evil unfortunately".

Billy: It's being traced to a robot...(stares at Alpha)...What aren't you telling us, machine?

Um Puppetman, do something other than laugh maniacally...you're evil show it!

Look, just tell Adam and Tanya "stop doing important characterization and help us with this creepy guy".

Well they stopped training. Wonder what they were doing instead.

Billy: Adam, there's an evil robot at the...(stares at Alpha) Space, please!?

What is this brat's point other than to just be motivation for the others!? Sure he's not the ringmaster and not Puppetman?

Help, I'm a fat guy in charge of a juice bar; I am not apt in dealing with evil puppet robots!

Adam never saw anything like it. Then again he wasn't around during the great food fight of '93.

Not like the kids can be distracted to hear Tommy's loud "Morphin' Time" proclamation.

Alright Puppetman, clean up this floor or you are so busted!

Finally, he's going to use those huge graspers for hands.

Rocky: We did come for a show...well, I did...but that's not important!

Oh great, they're Thriller walking. He learned that bit from Baamu.

They're not a human shield until they're in front of him! They're just toy soldiers ready to fall down so far.

I have an idea: HE'S OUT IN THE OPEN, SHOOT HIM BEFORE THE KIDS BECOME SAID HUMAN SHIELD!

"Saa, Showtime da".

Take over the world...with kids from an afternoon puppet show. Um, Puppetman, you need more kids...

Zordon: Look I don't mind kids being used as slaves but brainwashing's where I draw the line.

How the heck is Puppetman going to have them attack? Mob attack or more beach balls?

Look, I know you want to do the Robot but that dance is lame. What about the Funky Broadway?

If we don't think of something, there goes our background.

You can't beat me: MY EVIL EYEBROWS FORBID IT!

So, do you think flesh kids are more adorable than Sprocket? I just want to make sure before adopting one.

There are more kids in Angel Grove? I thought they were all there with the Captain John madness?

Well I'm outta here! Have fun with the kid zombies!

So Puppetman's gone, the Power Rangers are gone...maybe the kids will just keep walking into the wall and just smush into each other.

I'm with Captain John: no more robots after this.

Your life burns faster...obey your master...master...

We must fight over this random piece of paper and wood!

She has cooties, I have to stop her before she kills me!

(Peter Gabriel voice) HI THERE!

Oh that poor disturbing doll...she had it coming.

Rangers, if he gets to the center with that evil Metallica music, we'll lose our clean cut reputation. You have to stop him.

Just stick with Angel Grove first; maybe he can create a real robot army to do global domination.

When in doubt, random Billy/Alpha crap!

It spins at a certain RPM...we were hoping it would be useful with some other evil machine threat but there isn't an evil computer virus running rampant so we may as well use it on the puppet.

Yes, the satellite...in a random non-descript Japanese building...

Hah, didn't think I could headbutt with that, huh?

Hey maybe we can cut his strings with this.

NO, NOT THERE! I JUST HAD THAT INSURED!

HAH, I HAD A GENERIC CANNON IN THERE TOO! THOUGHT IT WAS JUST FOR LASER STRINGS, HUH?

Hey, give that "One-Ton Human Hamster Wheel" back; Double Dare wasn't done using it!

ENGAGE! PRRRREEEEEEEEZE!

Hey, where were we...um, I don't know. (green slime falls down)

Ernie: And just when I was going to use this styrophome tube to strangle myself.

Hey it's over...maybe mullet boy's normal too...no wait, he was always evil, forget it.

NO, WHY ARE WE BABYSITTING DAMIEN!?!?!? WHY-HI-HI-HI-HI...

When in doubt, Scottish Growth Beam! (or is Orbus Welsh?)

(as Freddy Mercury) THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!!!

Y'did good, laddie.

For a big guy, Puppetman's quite capable with martial arts.

Hey, have some mace to your face!

No, cannons on your head!? That's cheating!

If you don't have a cape, don't mess with the bull.

EVIL SUPER-SNOT!

His nose!? WHAT ABOUT THAT COG ON HIS BUTT!? THAT'S MORE SUSPICIOUS THAN HIS NOSE!

NO, NOT MY CHARM POINT! NOW THE LADIES WILL THINK I'M IMPOTENT!

(tympany rolls as as Puppetman dies)

Statler: Well that was different.

Waldorf: Yep, lousy...

Statler and Waldorf (together): ...BUT DIFFERENT! (laugh hysterically)

Mondo: Next time, only robots we design!

And...MORE JUGGLING!

Well here comes Puppetman's comeback tour. Don't think he'll regain the kids trust after that fiasco.

All those millions of pieces...I don't see how Alpha could have figured it out so quickly.

At least those two got the real evil in the crowd...well, intentional evil, not creepy evil like Puppetman.

No they can't handle a 10-year old. That's basically established, brat.

Look Arnie, lie or we cut your mullet off.

At least that pie was well deserved.

Credits: They really need to mop the floor at Ernies, huh?

Thoughts: Strangely I really liked the original "Pinocchio" plot from Ohranger, and this one wasn't too bad in adapting it's own methods, even though the idea of a "live kids show with a robot somehow used by a random kids show performer" is a bit too outlandish (even in the 90s; seriously where the heck did Puppetman come from and why was it given to Captain John instead of some big science exhibition?) The "brainwash the kids" plot goes how you'd think (and is still less chaotic than "Food Fight"), but isn't helped that with one of said kids being an evil brat already, he basically just became the ringleader with Puppetman pulling the strings. Oh and we get the Defender Wheel...because Ohranger stock footage...yeah...

Invasion of the Ranger Snatchers: aka: The Adventures of Rocky Triangle, Super-Power Action Adventurer! (Episode 9: The Mad Movie Menace)

Oh great, it's the filming of "Nuktuk, Hero of the North"! (but no talking Polar Dog and Fire Ferret)

Hey, those costumes are professionally made in Japan, they have no right to be on a B-movie set!

Hey, I got the cape, what does Saitama have that I don't? (oh yeah...he's bald and my mustache's fake)

That pinkie was my charm point; now how will I make my millions!?

Seriously, all those years learning the Stanislavsky method...for this?

So...extras or are they just sneaking onto the set

If this was the 50s, it would easily be in theaters, now...I can't even see it as a Sci-Fi cheapo of the week.

Seriously, using his fists instead of a vast arsenal of weaponry; it's not like the Power Rangers were ever like this! (cut to 70s footage) WE NEVER ADAPTED THOSE!

Look, try to act like real policemen today and not actors...

Well that was surreal; wonder where the door will transport Stone to next.

Look, we're acting like police; we're not acting police. (scratch that, reverse it)

Looks like someone found the caterer table.

Sprocket, if Speilberg can make a big deal of his 8MM days, you'll have him beat with a real movie!

Those costumes look awe...hey, whose pink girl prancing along?

Hey, we made a bird with a camera for a head; maybe that could be of use.

Look, I can be just like Arnold in his movies; just get me Verne Troyer and I can prove it!

Look, I have potential. Just keep me away from a pachinko machine and I'll show it! (hint to Rocky: stop talking like Crispin Glover and you may show some)

Look I found this neat thing called Bio Particles. I'd spray it on you guys but Zordon said an evil robot would "destroy" you...no not Mondo's group...

At least Billy found his calling: not as a Power Ranger but as "science personal trainer guy!"

There's nothing different, it's just a typical Tommy/Adam fight.

And...Adam won. That's what you get for being unpredictable. (Tommy, you're too easy to read)

Billy: Tommy, maybe if you stop just doing flying roundhouses...

Rocky, don't look now. Your Crispin Glover's just found a Lea Thompson.

5' 10", well built...maybe we can use you in one of those crazy monster costumes!

Rocky: OK, no stress, this is going to be fun. Just fun.

Look if we're going to film by using other people's work, we have to start somewhere.

Look, can't a Scotsbot just get a sip of his Highland Grog for a bit?

There goes the catering. That's going to shoot the budget beyond the stratosphere.

Come on, let the peels fall where they may so we can get the gag. No catching!

I swear if it weren't for the evil robots, you two would make great Cogs.

I don't think Bulk wants to know where their IDs are.

Come on, Calvin...and Calvin...you're both needed on set.

I just realized it: this is the Bulkster and Super-Skull movie! Rocky's hit paydirt!

Seriously, they have four MotW costumes and they're applauding the Cogs? High standards.

Look, have you ever heard of Roger Coleman? We're following his methods; not that high class crap.

If you want to be invading robots, then just at least follow the script!

You know with the mustache, Rocky's partner reminds me of Ron Burgundy.

Cogs: Beep, should we follow the script where it says "fall to our dooms"? Nah, let's improvise.

At least Rocky knows you don't hit a robot directly!

And there goes the MotW costumes. Turned into robots in 3...2...

How can I whistle with rubber gloves on anyway?

Clown: Hey, I was going into the part where I believe this clown outfit is going to make me hotter...come back new friends!

Yes, from cheesy costumes to...cheesy spandex...

OK, now I think we need those other two. They're real martial artists.

Cogs: We are...Super Sentai...beep.

OK, quiet on the set, we're about the film the big mook-Ranger battle...though there aren't enough Rangers.

And what have those two been doing since we last saw them?

And Tommy did it again...lucky he kept it close and he's not Green anymore.

Look, we're sort of happy this isn't Ivan Ooze or that pig guy but those movie costumes are still valuable.

Hope they...hey didn't see you teleport behind us.

Not sure I've seen an expansive mook fight like this outside the big one in Gokaiger...heck, the Ohranger may have inspired that.

Sliding triangle attack! (now this is how a star acts...er, triangle, Tommy's the start...sniff, why couldn't Zordon keep me Red?)

SFX STAR RISER FINISHER!

Hey, is a bird with a camera for a head natural?

Hey, no fair, we've already had a movie...well, three of us; we really need to have Kat and Tanya join us in one.

What is this...why a chessboard floor anyway?

Aye, this is Bill Foresythe here. I'm not directing this but I do have this neat fan I'm using.

Tanya: Look I saw the last movie; I don't have the range like Aisha in defeating a monster with a low comedy gag.

Oh great, it's that thing they use for dogs.

Look do you realize how expensive this set is? We can't have you wreck it!

And Adam set off a squib. At least his punches are more effective.

We have to keep trying or else this episode will get boring fast.

Klank: I can't believe we never tried 'trap them in a virtual box' until now! Maybe we can make "The Room" with that.

Sprocket's writing it; even I don't know what that means for you!

That force-field...it's acting like a...force field.

Billy, you've been in the movies. You understand the danger, so just do it.

Oh...so Sprocket's a Roman Polanski fan. That's cred.

Begin filming...

BIG O...IN ACTION!

Hey, this phone has no signal...NO I CAN'T HEAR YOU NOW!

Hey, the receiver's picking up...or was I picking up the receiver?

Tanya, here's some advice: don't get in my awesomeness and you'll be great.

Well if they're going to give us a phone, we may as well hack into it...er, reach Billy and Zordon.

Well either we go to Sprocket's movie or we're abducted by aliens...good luck.

Hey, it's really steamy in here...you're a plumber, can you fix it?

I don't think this flower makes me romantic at all.

Now take a look at this plumbing!

Hope you don't mind this, it's my own spit.

Well I don't know if I can pick up that phone they have in there but it's worth a shot.

Yep, that waiting room's weird. Too bad I'm back here with Zordon...or is it, thank goodness?

Billy's on TV? Yeah...all movies seem to be going there now.

Look, the Coreman method's just too maddening, he really needs to go to film school.

Wait, how is changing the script part of the deal? Is there even a script?

OK we need a new writer...any suggestions...no, not Bhamuk!

That door reminds me of something from Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

Yeah we heard you, but Tanya was getting so wet that I had to see how it stuck to her spandex.

Um, where did the bus come from!?

NO, NOT THE CHICKENS!

Hey, I have an idea...WHO WANTS TO DO THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF COLONEL SANDERS!?

Well we've bent reality badly so far, let's give it a go.

Hashire! Chikyu semashi to kakemegure (Gingaman!)

It's hilarious how these Rangers get to ride horses, yet the ones who should have horses...well, they get shot into space.

I'm Tommy, I'm here to rescue you! (scream) Is that a good or bad thing?

OK, I saw this in a Keaneu Reeves movie...I hope I saw the right movie!

Um...where did Sprocket hire the extras? He is going to have to pay for them.

Virtual extras. Well that's saving cash. Smart move.

How did you change that ending!? Sprocket will just edit it out and call it an alternate ending on the DVD.

Damn actors trying to change my vision; let's fire them and get five new kids! (wait a year, Sprocket, wait a year)

I know we're going to go way over budget with this but I have this hilarious idea of a Scotsman in this... (and we can afford it with me being Scrooge and all)

Yes, random drawings. WE'LL MAKE AN ANIME! GET ME TOMINO, HE NEEDS TO GIVE ME ADVICE ON HOW TO RUIN PEOPLES LIVES WITH WHO LIVES!

Hey, let's use that stock footage of me again...because the other stock footage of me is R-rated.

See, if you use ALL the costumes, your movie looks all the better!

GIANT EYEBALL OF DEATH!

Wait...wasn't that guy ONE OF THE COSTUMES AT THE BEGINNING!? (so...is Sprocket improvising?)

We're using the last of our budget on this; it better give us a huge finale!

Dang, all those visible squibs...

Time for the cameo appearance!

Wait, the crystals are "a little more firepower"? So...what do they use usually?

Monster: Kakko ii ze! Kaze wo kitte BYUNBYUN! Kimi wo hakobu

Now for my re-enactment of "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull!

HEY, THEY RUINED MY SET, YOU SHOULD SUE THEM SPROCKET! (dies)

Well he grew out of movies...let's hope he doesn't discover Rock 'n roll next.

Rocky: Awe, back to this again? Sprocket's movie was higher budget than this!

Sorry Rocky, without stuntmen you could get hurt and all...

Skull's the stand-in? Shouldn't it be reverse: Rocky is the stunt-double and Skull's the star?

He slimed me.

Bulk: THAT'S MY BOY! (laugh track ending)

Is this the beginning or the end of Rocky's movie career? What about the stunt performance of Mr. Skullovitch? Will Kat and Tanya keep the sexy new costumes they have!? And what will happen to Sir Thomas, Sir William and Sir Adam? Will Alpha 5 ever get a day off from Zordon? Can Mondo keep his son away from the electric guitar and move on to something more acoustic? And what will become of that lawsuit of the ruined career of one Mr. Bucket of Bolts?

Tune in next time, where some of these questions will be answered (and others not) in:

Episode 10: The Education Ending Emergency!

Credits: Billy: Why am I here and what is this saucer head beside me?

Thoughts: OK, this was a fun adaptation, even if it was of the Ohranger movie of all things. I'm a bit lost as to why they would steal all the monster costumes and only use the faucet one until the big finish, but somehow just adapting the zaniness of Sprocket making a movie with Klank supporting sort of had to be done just so we could believe it. I do find it rather goofy that they would still be making low-budget serials in 1996 for Rocky to be a part of, but maybe it's one of those "loving homage" style movies or a "movie within a movie". And while I have no clue why they made Kat and Tanya so hot in the space girl costumes...they were hot in them. (but girls in space girl costumes can be usually)

Graduation Blues: aka: Brokeback Ocean

A knocking door at the Angel Grove establishing shot? That's...foreboding.

Sorry Mr. Kaplain; did I get a B again...or was it an A-?

Sorry Billy, we screwed up; you didn't go to that genius pre-school. That certificate was forged by you so you could win that cute nerd girl that one time...

Yep, we screwed up. Angel Grove High is not the pinnacle of academic excellence as we claim.

Billy, you're smart. But you knew that already.

Yep, too many credits. Sorry you're done, we have to kick you out instead of offering you AP for college or anything. (how many college credits do you have anyway?)

Take this yellow paper I rolled up, it's spur of the moment but your real diploma's in the mail.

I'm asking the same question: if everyone takes the same classes at the same rate, how the heck can Billy graduate early? (unless he took multiple HS classes in middle school pre-Day of the Dumpster; that's the only reason I can think of)

Stick fight, stick fight!

You're explaining to them garbage collection? That's been their only job for a while now, they should know how that works, Stone!

And this is what I want to do to Stone, and this and this and this!

Our method: slave labor! (took them long enough to show up again)

Trash-poker thingies? I'd complain about grammer but it is Bulk and Skull they're owned by.

No, don't leave me with trash duty...no wait, that was why I'm here.

That is one...triangular...spaceship.

Yes, we'll go in there despite the bizarre tech inside and be heroes! Brilliant!

Maybe we should hit it...or kick it...

I'm allergic...to water!

Oh great, it's Cestro. Wait...I thought he could teleport from Aquitar!

Wait, Bulk and Skull are screaming? HE'S CESTRO, ONE OF YOUR IDOLS WITH THE AQUATIAN RANGERS!

And Cestro's...not taking it well either.

Read my hands, they're friendly hands! Shake these hands!

The fate of the world? Whose world, Cestro? (wait, I just realized it: Billy...Cestro...Rocky's the first Blue Ranger who isn't gay!)

What sort of ridiculous craft is that? No class like our gear saucers.

Aquitar; I can't stand those watery, weird-sounding freaks.

Where are the Power Rangers? Well Cestro's an Alien Ranger so...he's one too...sort of...

This is the quickest graduation party ever done...unless Kaplain told them behind his back.

I'd join you if it weren't for being in Africa all those years...dang I'm so far behind my studies.

What to do? Eh, just meddle with stuff, meddle with the Command Center, meddle with Alpha...the usual.

Just ignore the random laughing, this is sort of on purpose...

Bulky, we're going to abduct him! It's time for us to be the Ranger Snatchers!

Well he may be William but at least we're close...aren't we? No we're right.

Billy, how has it been. I've been so bored without you.

They're ruled by the Great Intelligence...better get the Doctor on it soon or else Aquitar's screwed.

At least they're not freaking out...as usual...so maybe they do remember Cestro.

Yeah, that thing...too much alien tech, that's gonna screw over anyone.

Why are we being bullied by bullies; shouldn't we be the bullies? BULLY!

And now Stone thinks Goldar and Rito are the problem...here come more hilarious hijinx we never needed, follks.

Karate chop, see monsters, scream and run away!

Yeah, Aquitar's at war, and all we have is water. Boy do we suck.

So yeah, that thing: ancient relic that I had to take due to crappy computers. Why didn't we have Zordon power our computer?

As said: we're a civilization obsessed with water; so technology is out of our forte. Thus, you.

Thanks but now we have this whole "matter of time" thing. Nothing personal, just dramatic tension.

That's the Hydro Contaminator? Well aliens can tend to look weirder than you'd think so...

Look, you're not Aquatians but water's still important for your planet so...he is a big problem.

Yeah, I should have brought the prototype but...dramatic tension.

Hey, you're not going to let me get away with Keystone Cops capers on my watch.

And they go when Billy and Cestro shows up? And how can Cestro teleport if that's disabled on Aquitar?

Hand-wave security, away!

Cestro: Hey you have the same gold boots as me! You look FABULOUS!

It looks like a cheesy devise for dowsin-gu.

Hey if humans are water, let's see what happens if I puncutre a hole in one!

Yeah, it's still our show. Billy's just a leftover from another time.

Seriously, how can I conquer Earth if I have no idea whose after it behind my back?

Who cares what it is, it hates Power Rangers and that's a good thing.

Well at least I have a distraction. Hope Hydro Hog left me good notes.

Yeah it's "the lake". Like it's always "the park".

Triplicate attack!

Dang, why do we forget they can remove their faces and fire lasers!?

He's really taking his time in getting to that lake.

No, weak robots holding me back, must outstretch my arm and hope I can touch them!

No, I forgot my elbows are still free! Of course!

Tommy, that kick did make him closer to the lake so...

Ready: SUPER THROW ATTACK!

Combustable around water. No wonder they never invaded Aquitar.

And now the Hydro Contaminator...spontaneously combusted. Oh well, that was easy, let's move on.

Hey that sphere looks...awefully suspicious.

Wait, aliens...um...what sort of aliens, we have seen quite a few by now.

A monkey and bones...nope, no clue.

YES, DRILL SERGEANT!

We'll track them down (and maybe prevent them from running loose again)

Hey, let's wave to them, they like us!

Well the Cogs are moving...rather randomly.

A water treatment plant? Why not just go to the water itself?

The funny thing: his original power was invisibility so...

Look, we don't like water either being robots so we'll scratch your back and...

I'm so angry I'll just break something in the Command Center to show it!

Cestro, you probably can't morph so...going isn't a good idea.

OLE!

Early Ohranger really was impressive with their battles.

Well I didn't understand it prior but yeah, vanishing powers. Convenient, huh?

This guy's way cooler than dad's monsters.

I'll rule Detroit. And then: ED-209 COPS ON ALL STREETS!

Thanks for this dangerous doohicky, Cestro. Now I can make a new Ranger toy! But hands off when I'm working.

Look, Billy, I'm a man, you're a man, I get lonely, you get lonely...(hears Billy's comment) HE ACCEPTED!?

Can't turn my back on you...Delphine maybe, but not you.

Eh, I don't mind the affection but not while I'm working.

Contacts...thus the mystery of the end of the glasses is solved.

Alpha: I'll find them...(steps on one) Was that a contact or a random Command Center glass shard?

I haven't been like this in a while...

How to finish the Zeo Blaster? Simple: GO HOME FOR GLASSES!

Well it was worth attacking the weak point, but he is tough.

We're doing so well...but hey, we need to sell toys.

Hey, I can't believe I forgot those here long ago. That's why I switched to contacts.

Wait, if the Zeo Blaster is made of their weapons...and the footage had them using their weapons...then...

Well, you helped them out but there is still the whole thing about the matter of time and all. Understandable considering circumstances.

Hey this thing looks like our weapons...did we even have spares for Billy to use?

Random posing!

Never trust an alien to do a robot's job.

So it's going to get cramped in here. Luckily I've finally accepted my feelings.

I always wanted to go into space. It was you or that kabuki guy and you're offering.

Oh brother, I can imagine that Billy asked his dad (no clue if his mom exists) if he could go with some suspicious water alien to another planet. I think he just told them "France".

It's not as majestic as Richard Dreyfuss and Billy has been in space before with the Rangers but...

He's bringing his chemistry book? What he's not done studying even though he's graduated? (oh and goggles and flippers...you'd think Aquatians would have their means to make humans survive there)

Guess he didn't need the textbook after all.

They're going to burn it up at the rate the afterburners are going.

And liftoff...just as the others miss out.

Alpha, did we miss the best part? The Tommy never misses the best part!

Rocky: Chemistry? Wonder why Billy had that thing with. (Tommy: Least he didn't take "Monster Making for Dummies", I have that stored away)

AH, WE'RE BLIND!

Goodbye...random nerd I barely knew. (yeah poignant Tanya but seriously, your encounters with Billy amounts to 10+ episodes...)

Credits: Unlike Sprocket, we follow our script!

Thoughts: Obviously with a lot of what David Yost was going through at this point, this was sort of the beginning of the end for him with a multi-episode period where he leaves prior to the big departure much later on. Considering he probably has had the longest stretch of appearances in the franchise at this point (165 episodes is a good consecutive run), he needed a break, though...the way the show justifies it really is rather bizarre. Suddenly claiming Billy has had enough credits to graduate just comes out of nowhere (he's a genius but was typically in the same classes as the other Rangers so...how outside extra work somewhere we didn't know about?); but the idea of the crisis on Aquitar does lead to some creedence as to why Billy has to just go away for a while (and I guess if he was still in school, they'd have to figure out how to cover for him despite, you know, being a genius). The way the Zeo Blaster was formed was bizarre with the stock footage of the weapons being used while Billy uses spare weapons out of nowhere based on the device Cestro brought; and the departure should have felt more important but...I guess with Tommy the only one there and knowing him the most and them barely missing him, it doesn't have the impact (especially...why did he bring that textbook with him?)
Old September 23rd, 2017, 10:06 AM   #2349
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataruman View Post
Oh, those generic kids programs and their wacky yellow jackets and their bizarre puppet mascots. We're here for toku action, not...this guy!
"Hey, Hoshikawa..."

Quote:
"Say the secret word and the duck'll come down." (Groucho eyeball twerk)
Mmm... duck...

Quote:
Ernie: provider of illegal substances, now providing pointless distraction for users of said illegal substances.
"Whoa... but, like, what if this puppet show was real, and its own universe?"

Quote:
Whose your favorite superhero? Well I like She-Hulk myself if you're talking American, as for Japanese...well OK, still haven't seen "My Hero Academia" but...um, Suppaman?
Huh. I haven't yet seen "My Hero Academia" either.

Quote:
And back with non-puppet activities, Adam's being useful with Tanya.
Oh good. Much better than that Shawn guy.

Quote:
And speaking of "Captain"...yeah, Stone, you're about to be bossed around by a puppet.
Well, it's not like his employees are much better.

Quote:
Yeesh, even the Cogs aren't water-resistant. Seriously, the Machine Empire's invasion could end with one aptly timed rainstorm.
Hey Tommy, think on that for a bit. And don't confuse it with some genetic engineering experiment... hello, Tommy?

Quote:
And there's the Dora Pinokiller costume. Time for this Puppetman act to go up to 11!
Dora Pinokiller? Bandora would love that name... too bad Rita's in hiding.

Quote:
Billy: It's being traced to a robot...(stares at Alpha)...What aren't you telling us, machine?
"EVERYTHING!"

Boy, that would be the dramatic plot twist of the season.

Quote:
Billy: Adam, there's an evil robot at the...(stares at Alpha) Space, please!?
"Oh, Billy, you want to go to space?"

Quote:
"Saa, Showtime da".
Has a nice ring to it.

Quote:
Zordon: Look I don't mind kids being used as slaves but brainwashing's where I draw the line.
Yay for relative morality!

Quote:
His nose!? WHAT ABOUT THAT COG ON HIS BUTT!? THAT'S MORE SUSPICIOUS THAN HIS NOSE!
No one's staring at the butt. Everyone's facial profiling!

Quote:
Hey, those costumes are professionally made in Japan, they have no right to be on a B-movie set!
'MURICA!

Quote:
Look, we're acting like police; we're not acting police. (scratch that, reverse it)
Sounds just like 'em.

Quote:
At least Billy found his calling: not as a Power Ranger but as "science personal trainer guy!"
Now, if only he could make a career out of that.

Quote:
And...Adam won. That's what you get for being unpredictable. (Tommy, you're too easy to read)
Progression!

Quote:
I just realized it: this is the Bulkster and Super-Skull movie! Rocky's hit paydirt!
Formula for fame or flop?

Quote:
Sliding triangle attack! (now this is how a star acts...er, triangle, Tommy's the start...sniff, why couldn't Zordon keep me Red?)
It's okay, Rocky. You'll get your spotlight... or maybe not.

Quote:
What is this...why a chessboard floor anyway?
Duel bond!

Quote:
Oh...so Sprocket's a Roman Polanski fan. That's cred.
Sprocket, want to see some Sun Vulcan? Then move onto some other stuff?

Quote:
Hey, this phone has no signal...NO I CAN'T HEAR YOU NOW!
But if you can't hear them, then... oh, never mind.

Quote:
Billy's on TV? Yeah...all movies seem to be going there now.
Not the first time he's been there.

Quote:
OK we need a new writer...any suggestions...no, not Bhamuk!
And to think it could go downhill even from there...

Quote:
It's hilarious how these Rangers get to ride horses, yet the ones who should have horses...well, they get shot into space.
Eh, horses don't react well to mechanical lifeforms.

Quote:
How did you change that ending!? Sprocket will just edit it out and call it an alternate ending on the DVD.
But then all the hardcore fans will argue about which one was truly intended.

Quote:
Yes, random drawings. WE'LL MAKE AN ANIME! GET ME TOMINO, HE NEEDS TO GIVE ME ADVICE ON HOW TO RUIN PEOPLES LIVES WITH WHO LIVES!
"Oh Adam, we've got a new role for you..."

Quote:
Rocky: Awe, back to this again? Sprocket's movie was higher budget than this!
Hey, he's got a whole empire backing his project.

Quote:
Yep, we screwed up. Angel Grove High is not the pinnacle of academic excellence as we claim.
Who'd've thought?!

(But still smarter than Liveman.)

Quote:
Yep, too many credits. Sorry you're done, we have to kick you out instead of offering you AP for college or anything. (how many college credits do you have anyway?)
If I had to guess, he's already been doing that off-screen. It'd explain so much. That, or some time travel thing from the Aquitian arc.

Quote:
You're explaining to them garbage collection? That's been their only job for a while now, they should know how that works, Stone!
Still hasn't been a job that they could keep down until now, though.

Quote:
That is one...triangular...spaceship.
Triangle? Rocky, they're coming for you!

Quote:
Wait, Bulk and Skull are screaming? HE'S CESTRO, ONE OF YOUR IDOLS WITH THE AQUATIAN RANGERS!
Memory lapse from timey whimey stuff.

Quote:
The fate of the world? Whose world, Cestro? (wait, I just realized it: Billy...Cestro...Rocky's the first Blue Ranger who isn't gay!)
Or is he?

Quote:
Bulky, we're going to abduct him! It's time for us to be the Ranger Snatchers!
Aaaaand then the world was screwed.

Quote:
Why are we being bullied by bullies; shouldn't we be the bullies? BULLY!
A wise man once said the cycle of bullying never solved anything. Stone said get back to work.

Quote:
Yeah, it's still our show. Billy's just a leftover from another time.
Aw...

Quote:
Yeah it's "the lake". Like it's always "the park".
Makes it easier for their municipal servants to remember. I hear they're not hiring the brightest.

Quote:
A monkey and bones...nope, no clue.
Great, now everyone has amnesia!

Quote:
Early Ohranger really was impressive with their battles.
They sure built up a sense of scale. Same with some later battles, but then story got in the way.

Quote:
Look, Billy, I'm a man, you're a man, I get lonely, you get lonely...(hears Billy's comment) HE ACCEPTED!?
I'm guessing that's already a fanfiction.

Quote:
Hey, I can't believe I forgot those here long ago. That's why I switched to contacts.
Just don't do both at the same time.

Quote:
I always wanted to go into space. It was you or that kabuki guy and you're offering.
What could go wrong either way?

Quote:
Oh brother, I can imagine that Billy asked his dad (no clue if his mom exists) if he could go with some suspicious water alien to another planet. I think he just told them "France".
Bien sur, le monde d'eau.

Quote:
He's bringing his chemistry book? What he's not done studying even though he's graduated? (oh and goggles and flippers...you'd think Aquatians would have their means to make humans survive there)
He's probably got to get used to a different atmospheric composition... er, oceanic composition.

Quote:
And liftoff...just as the others miss out.
Wow, it's like the rangers aren't even planning a proper sendoff...

Quote:
Goodbye...random nerd I barely knew. (yeah poignant Tanya but seriously, your encounters with Billy amounts to 10+ episodes...)
Well, it was fun while it lasted.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:19 AM   #2350
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
"Say the secret word."
Puppetman and Conky 2000 would be besties! =D

Quote:
Sprocket, if Speilberg can make a big deal of his 8MM days, you'll have him beat with a real movie!
Let's not forget George Lucas.

Quote:
Sprocket's writing it; even I don't know what that means for you!
Awwww, so he's a screewnwriter too? What a sweetheart.

Quote:
Alpha: I'll find them...(steps on one) Was that a contact or a random Command Center glass shard?
Reminds me of the scene in Journey's End where Trakeena crushed those flowers. Same camera angle too. =O

Last edited by AngieYaz; September 23rd, 2017 at 11:52 AM.
AngieYaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2017, 04:21 PM   #2351
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
"Hey, Hoshikawa..."

"Whoa... but, like, what if this puppet show was real, and its own universe?"
GANBARE, ZEORENJA!!!

Quote:
Dora Pinokiller? Bandora would love that name... too bad Rita's in hiding.
Slip of the tongue. Meant "Bara" Pinokiller.

Quote:
"EVERYTHING!"

Boy, that would be the dramatic plot twist of the season.
Making Alpha a Machine Empire mole would be epic...or the beginnings of an AngieYaz fanfiction.

Quote:
Now, if only he could make a career out of that.
He could put Ernie out of business...which would be a good thing...

Quote:
Duel bond!
"Checkomeeto da!" (snaps fingers)

Quote:
But then all the hardcore fans will argue about which one was truly intended.
That is a problem with alternate endings sadly. And people will say "the studio screwed them over" while others prefer the studio ending...

Quote:
Memory lapse from timey whimey stuff.
Yet they still feel comfortable around him...

Quote:
I'm guessing that's already a fanfiction.
Probably better written than "Agony in Pink". (or whatever Fred's version was)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieYaz View Post
Puppetman and Conky 2000 would be besties! =D
Considering the weird door the Rangers had to use, I should have figured Pee Wee Herman was behind all this. (also, ever heard of "You Bet Your Life"?)

-----

A Few Bad Seeds: aka: These Guys Sure Look Like Plant Food to Me (brought to you by Monsanto)

Junior Botanical Society? Why not just a regular Botanical Society with a class for high schoolers? (I'd say 4-H but...)

And...Kaoruko Hanasaki those two aren't.

So these "plants"...stole them out of the Amazon or GMOs?

This thing...I swear it just stared at me yesterday and said "feed me" (and it also called me "Seymour")

Rocky messing with plant species...he'll have a good future working as Ernie's next fruit provider. (does he know about the pamango stash?)

And...he's playing with the GMOs. I'm assuming Monsanto sponsored this episode.

So metal instead of blood...regardless, ROCKY REALLY IS SEYMOUR KRELBORN!

Rocky: I'm going to call it after a girl I really like...I think I shall dub thee "Pachinko II". (the "ko" is a female name in Japanese so it works!)

And meanwhile Skull's in mourning.

If only it was an actual murder, then Bulk's advice would be more sound than...terrible gardening skills.

Give a sample to Alpha; yeah the bot knows flowers but do we really want him running with fried circuits like he probably is with Billy gone?

Oh great, now it has more incentive to eat it's master when it's bigger.

Now if only we can get Levi Stubbs to be my voice actor...

Skull, don't. Pachinko II is sentient. Then you'll go into dentistry and Rocky will murder you and chop you to pieces. It's not worth it.

Feed me, Seymour. Feed me all night long...

And right for the chest. Pachinko II is just deadly. (yeah the badge but still...)

I think the copper gave it gas.

It can't be going "Mean Green Mother" yet! We still have an episode to get through!

I'd fire bullets but it'll just eat it...um, maybe some gardening shears?

Too small, Bulk. I said gardening shears!

I'd say Rocky had "Monster Making for Dummies" but with that not know where it is (Tommy has it), Rocky probably has created the deadliest thing a Power Ranger can do!

Now Bulk and Skull are following the scheme of that mad salesman near the end. The "leaf cutlet" bit. That's how Pachinko II plans world domination dummies!

Eh, they still suck at horticulture. Better bring in Tsubomi Hanasaki with her granny busy.

Oh look, an entire army made of metal. If Rocky trained it right, Pachinko II could just eat them to their death!

Um, Mondo...if you try to use that thing as a monster, it's going to destroy your empire. It's not worth it.

At least he has the good idea of sending his son. If Sprocket's devoured, he'll just build a new one.

WHAT PART OF POLICEWORK INVOLVES TENDING TO FLOWERS!?

Botanical engineering? Even Stone realizes this is a Monsanto-sponsored class on GMOs!

You're not a "junior" now, Stone, so don't try to promote your love of plants like this.

Nutrition. OK, Stone, sacrifice your finger to the evil plant so your partners don't have to.

I hope Rocky's leaf cutlet becomes a third piece that devours Alpha. That would be interesting television.

Sprocket, idea. Make the Power Rangers get the plant and you won't get devoured in one gulp. It's rather reasonable.

Aww...they're his friends...at least Rocky and Adam have no evil ambition. (well Rocky, Adam does VA some villains later on)

Seriously, Pachinko II: they're robots. EAT THEM!

Cogs: Rangers, any gardening tips and can you tell them to stop nibbling at our fingers?

Note the panicking Cog with the pot; he knows he's screwed.

Wait, did Pachinko II shrink? Was this scene filmed before that massive growth spurt or is it hiding those vines?

You better clean those up: Tsubomi worked hard to join that club (that or be trapped...with Erika...and fashion...)

No wait, the smaller one was Skull's. There's Rocky's monstrosity.

Adam, if you try too hard, the vines will steal your blaster and eat it. It's not worth it.

Um Rocky, you thought your plant was Skull's? He really did miss that last growth spurt.

Snicker...Manure City...seriously, this is going to be good. (and smelly, don't forget smelly)

A cow.

Yes, this is what you think it is. An entire segment on...cow poop. Literally...cow poop. (so...the whole "anti-methane = global warming" people too?)

High octane black gold...I just wonder what the cow ate to make that prime...stuff...

Phew. At least this show has the dignity to not show Mr. Hanky's bovine relatives.

Of course it's on the top shelf...hanging there precariously...Because if this show needs anything, it's a poop joke.

Really we should be making bets on if the crap DOESN'T hit the doofuses.

Well it hit Stone instead. Stone's...been hit...by cow poop...really...this happened...why am I still watching this?

Stone: Listen, I need to hit the showers...can I let some other officers deal with the break-in?

We're not going to let you drown in cow poop in vain!

Well it did try to eat a few Cogs but I think we got something manageable made of that Pachinko II.

And...it's Stallone. Pachinko II...er, Pollinator...is Stallone.

Feel sorry for the random other plant; that's probably's Skull's.

Alpha: Yep, Pachinko II wants world domination. And they got Stallone and not Levi Stubbs to dub it. You're doomed.

Tough to say how serious: now they're monsters, I think Mondo's stabilized those two.

Rocky: Really, why are we fighting vegetables? MY VEGETABLES!? MY PACHINKO II!?!?!?!?

So to beat it...starve it. Think we can get Hydro Contaminator back from Aquitar to ruin the water supply for one method?

The Angel Grove...Auto-Wrecking Yard? Hope they don't find Rad Bug there.

Yeah, you're fighting plants. Good luck and don't get any residue we have to clean later.

So if Pollinator's Stallone, that makes the other one...um...German?

Seriously, they're just muscleheads now. They were more menacing as man-eaters.

Ja! (must be the negative for "Ole!")

Cacti together! Vegetation forever!

Oh great, now he's beating up his partner. That's not going to go down well.

And Mondo's calling...them back? That's...different.

You're limiting Pollinator's diet? Seriously, that's basically giving the Rangers what they want.

Pollinator's cousin: Durr.......JA!

Amazed that he cares about his cousin like that. I thought he'd more care about eating.

ADRIAAAAAAAN! (sure it's his cousin?)

Turning monsters into mulch...Rita and Fred never would have done that.

Yes, our hope is...the library. (seriously, couldn't Alpha tell you two what you made Pollinator out of first?)

Hey there. Remember me? I'm Pachinko II, but you can call me Pollinator now.

I guess Rocky doesn't want the responsibility anymore.

Here's some plant sperm; this episode is bizarre enough so let's make it more so.

Don't want to know where those two have been through.

So the metal tossed off was intentional? I thought they just plowed through crap.

Ketchup: plants consider it cannibalism.

You're throwing the bike away already? THAT WAS YOUR GIMMICK THIS SEASON!

Camoflauge helmets on. Let's go to work.

So how far away do we have to be from it?

Those sounds really...aren't a good thing.

And now Rocky's mutating into...the Floronic Man!?

So Rocky's becoming a vegetable...now he'll be useful.

Rocky: I used to hate broccoli. But then again...I am broccoli.

Hey if you plant Rocky in the ground, he'll probably live a couple centuries at best.

Leaves? I'd be talking more about Kat's sapwood myself.

Eh, her branches are nowhere as nice as Kim's. She was a gymnast, she had tone.

So he's better turning Rocky into a babbling weirdo than eating cars...well it's progress.

OK, now you can eat. But when the Rangers show up...

Rocky's nearly a goner. Poor sap, soon even his brain will be nothing but how to get pollen into Kat's flowers.

It's very likely? Wait, why don't we see him eat so we know that?

At least we don't go after him on a full stomach.

Don't fire those. Now how are you going to pollinate yourself?

Tommy, you're losing to a vegetable; you're really not doing that well!

NOW HE FIGURED OUT WHAT THE PLANT WAS!? WHY NOT EARLIER WHEN IT MATTERED...and wasn't a giant sentient cactus?

Oxygen? But it's everywhere, why now?

What!? You suffocate it with oxygen!?!?!? That's just...um...

Zordon of course it isn't working. Alpha didn't turn it on yet.

Dang that was...too easy.

Well Rocky, you knew something. Congrats; maybe that means you have some use. Not much, but some.

So where do you get oxygen? I know the atmosphere but still...

So they're firing at it with...their guns...um...how? Billy's not here so...HOW!?

And Pollinator goes down...with a Brando line. Not Stallone, Brando. (I think the writers realized how insane this was and just gave up; and no fate for Adrian?)

Well, lost a plant but at least I can probably make it again if Alpha can send me the notes.

I suck as a mad scientist, so maybe I'll think about becoming a chef.

I guess they became a living bush for waiting too long.

The stakeout could work if Adrian was still alive...(remembers the Ohranger episode)...oh. Yeah.

Look, the two of us dealt with a man-eating plant and cow poop, we're professionals now.

And thus the greatest enemy of a plant: the lawnmower man.

KILL IT! DESTROY THE DESTROYER OF GRASS!

Credits: "Hey, I'm Bulk the talking plant!"

Thoughts: Hoo boy, was this a nutty one. It really went all over the place from a "Little Shop of Horror" homage to cow poop to the Ohranger element about the Bara Cactus brothers to Rocky the mutant...plant...person...and of course lawnmower assault. I still don't get why they did the subplot in the 11th hour about mutating Rocky into a plant, or why they had to just take an Audrey II ripoff and use it for obviously boxing-themed cactus brothers; it's just like they had one idea, the footage had another and they just smashed them together. And yeah, an entire segment on cow poop...I still say some infamous people funded this episode.

Instrument of Destruction: aka: Skulladeus (or: Rampage in A-Minor)

Hey, piano music and not generic Wasserman synth. That's different.

Hey, no Cogs after curfew!

Softly and gently...softly and gently...

I guess Angel Grove now has the funds to create a window with giant "DETENTION" written on it.

Robots have birthdays? (then again someone's celebrating Somnibot today so...)

Classical is so proper. Shall we have some Handel prepared or maybe something more recent like Brittan? (Klank: MENDELSSHON! MENDELSSHON!)

Too late, I beat you to it dad. Can I rule the empire?

He doesn't sound like a robot playing a piano. Sure they didn't confuse him with a player piano, beep?

Lemme see! Lemme see!

Wait, the musician. I see the cogs but...oh great, it's the Phantom of the Opera.

This...is..a move...I heard...it's...called...the Me...tronome...

Yeah they think it's too disturbing too.

Seriously, a guy with a cape in Angel Grove. This school has no secrets; how did he do it!?

I think they realized they were a ghetto blaster in a former life and want to relive it.

Come on, random teacher; why not give me Creative Writing yet again. (or is this the same gaffe that lead to Billy graduating?)

Well rounded? And who is this Leslie she's going to see now?

Hey, you two are back. (then again this is their final episode as students of Angel Grove High...my guess is after what they did to Billy they decided they had to prune the rolls a bit more)

Skull...you're spacing out. Skull?

Yeah we get it. It's too forceful now.

Eh, it's all just writing anyway so it isn't that much of a challenge.

Skull needs to adjust his schedule too? Does this mean a class...WITHOUT BULK!?

Skull: What the heck am I doing here? This isn't that hall with the giant "Detention" on it!

Look, I play the drums in my spare time, lemme borrow them.

Look I'm a music expert, why not just send me to Creative Writing like I wanted?

Something tells me he's new to the school. Give him time, they just got the budget for someone other than Applebee.

If you attend, you get extra credit. With Skull's grades, he'll need them.

Hey I can do "Chopsticks". Can I get that A now?

I learned piano as a kid...after they forced me to stare at that lantern.

The Riot Act? What's that like in the Machine Empire?

And now the Cogs are acting more like the Putties. Seriously, that was a quick decay.

Really, all that fruit stuff and gym equipment and video games: Ernie's not installing a piano there so I can't join you.

Do you hear it...it's that song again...I don't know what it's called but there it is.

Doors? We don't need no stinkin' doors, beep!

Um, not in direct hearing range of mystery pianist, guys...guys?

Maybe if they keep quiet, it can be like one of those silent movies.

Admission: I don't think they ever fought in the high school halls before. Unique battle idea, I like it.

Not sure that's the right dance partner for you, Adam. (and did it become Piazzola all of a sudden?)

Oops, sorry. Robot in my way.

EXTREEEEEEME SURFING!

And they start falling apart. Disturbing.

Got to get to practice...should I in the Zeo costume or not?

Great it's out of tune. Dang budget cuts; new teachers but the facility's falling apart.

Well that explains it: was softening the distance between hammer and string.

So mystery pianist has piano lessons not in Angel Grove High? Why practice at the school though?

May as well make a piano monster. Not much else I'm doing today.

That's not a mystery pianist, that's a druid. Get it right, Adam.

OK, good usage of this MotW. In Ohranger, the music motif had no purpose but here...

I still don't see why robots need a human musician when you have Fortissimoto. He seems good enough to do the job.

Um wrong order. It's "Zeo Ranger IV, Green".

Leave "non-descript cloaked guy" alone!

Um Adam, you "Can't" stop the music. Ask the Village People. (and Bruce Jenner)

You have to remember the key. It's always important when fighting a music monster.

It's not much of an instrument as it is just a mad piano player with said piano on his body.

Look I can tell you who that pianist is but there are some spoilers even I'm not privy to spoil.

Tommy: I never liked Classical Music anyway.

Klank: Seriously, why did they keep me out of the episode for claiming I liked the Hebrides Overture?

I do wonder where Machina's been. What do lady robots do when not around their men?

Well it's abrupt but I guess we have to have some use for that annoying Mendelsshon loving Scot.

Grand Piano. Good pun.

Adam, don't mock the giant unless you can fight it. And from what I've seen of you...

Shocked they didn't pull the Cogs after Fortissimoto grew. Smart strategy, almost Egos-like.

Guess we need the Zords after all. Can't we just fight him small?

Fortissimoto: So want to hear Stravinsky's Firebird!? Or maybe some of Mahler's 1st, the TITAN!

So they're using the Defender Wheel on the giant. Forgot they did that.

NO, MY FOOTING! THAT'S GOING TO BREAK MY STRINGS!

Tommy: I'm the only one who gets to be bad-ass. No permission unless I'm not around, Adam. (remember that!)

That's not a harmonica. A Dino Harp's more a harmonica than this guy!

Dang, I forgot this was one of the few fights they really wailed on the giant before becoming fusing together.

Oh great, sentient notes. Now we need a net to catch them for Hummy.

Fortissimoto: BUT I WAS GOING TO FINISH SCHUBERT'S UNFINISHED SYMPHONY! (explodes)

Machina: So, did you get me those Gary Numan tickets I asked for? (Mondo: Well I didn't expect my wife as a New Wave fan...back to the drawing board)

Wait, they said it was at the youth center...or the mystery guy went back to school because...um...

Adam: So if I take the hood off, he'll probably attack me...I hate stories like this.

DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!! (so yeah...Skull isn't just into rock. Who'd thunk)

Look, she considered me a punk kid so she tried to get me into classical. It's complicated.

Look I was going to offer a rock opera but Bulk would think it's bizarre.

Come on. Be proud of your accomplishments. At least it's something you'll pass in this school.

And that violin's out of tune. Hope Skull's piano's ready.

Still shocked that Angel Grove hired him but...low standards.

Skullovitch isn't a strong piano-playing name. Maybe just "Skullovitchny?"

Mom made me wear this to practice too.

Got to leave a little ABC souvenier.

Don't mock him. It's building up the tension.

Dang, he's a speed king!

Bulk, shut it. Your friend's awesome.

I really need to masticate this popcorn more.

And...Mozartian laugh. Works.

Hey, did you know I almost played Young Elvis at that costume ball a while back?

That was so beautiful...I never heard music like that in all my life...ever.

Come on. I did good. Big thumbs up.

Credits: Bulk: Yes, I can see music! I'm a genius!

Thoughts: This is definitely another case of Power Rangers actually doing something right that Ohranger screwed with completely. In Oh, the Bara Devil episode was a random one about some kid from the future showing up in the past with a random music monster. Here, it's actually a heart-felt episode about a mystery musician with Adam getting involved, some great coordination of music and combat, an amazing usage of footage and of course the shocking and heart-felt reveal of Skull being classically trained as a pianist! Considering how many people aren't Bulk and Skull fans, this is another of those episodes that showed they're really as part of the cast and can have great moments just like the Rangers, even with their comedic moments. Oh...and I do wonder what Mondo and Sprocket ultimately got Machina for her birthday?

Mean Screen: aka: RangerBoard: The Early Years

I joked about this in "Target Rangers" but seriously: mid-90s internet is so silly to see as a big deal.

This is a website. And here's where you can find a forum with cranks who complain about Power Rangers.

Hey, they're developing this thing called "Twitter". I heard that billionaire Trump is eagerly anticiapting it for some reason.

Computers; I can't believe Billy was hiding this from us for so long!

See, I'm a bro. I'm not a computer geek like that Cranston; I'm cool, you can trust me.

Hoo boy, I think hackers are afoot.

And...that's what happens when you spend too much time in Africa growing up.

A virus has a countdown!? That's...tormenting. Just infect it and get it over with.

"If you don't give us your passwords, we'll replace all your files with...a story written by some guy named Fred about the Pink Ranger...the first Pink Ranger..."

Yes: SUPER LAPTOP, GO!

See, Tanya, if it's cute then it's evil!

That is the longest 45 seconds in the history of time...still shorter than 5 minutes on Namek.

That virus wasn't mean. It was polite and giggly!

A virus. Let's not get infected by one of those, it could just ruin our invasion plans.

Superior? So you guys have the alien version of Norton installed?

I can't say everything's run by computers but...I do like Sprocket's thinking.

At least they have their own monster again. Turning things into monsters ala Rita and Zedd does seem to suggest they don't have their own minions outside the Cogs.

Hey a chatroom. They're saying "LOL, you newb aren't da Green Ranger. Tommy fureva!"

Tanya: Yeah I need to do things in the real world. The virtual one's so primitive.

Hey Rocky, I hope you like martial arts. (and no, I haven't found the pachinko collectors)

I get hacking into Angel Grove's system, but the Power Rangers? Um, are you sure you can reach Zordon's network through Angel Grove's grid? And didn't Billy upgrade the firewalls before he left?

Well that was easy. Yeah, I think Zordon got too paranoid and had Alpha disable Billy's improvements.

So we got the Zeo Megazord's blueprints. Maybe we can build an evil one or something.

I'm surprised no one thought of just infecting the Megazord before now...but then again Rita and Fred weren't that technologically adept. They had ways but...not hacking and viruses.

HEY, WHO WANTS FREE MONEY!?!?

Dang doors; we really need a manual one.

And where is the guy who is supposed to be lifting that thing?

Well Pollinator didn't eat it so we can still use it I suppose.

Come on, I just proved I'm a genius pianist, let me do something for once!

Code Blue...that means...traffic signal duty I suppose. Not that bad a duty but it is what they're made for.

Skull, you said too much.

Oh great, now he's going Palpatine on us. Get him away from Bulk before he throws him into hot ground to turn him into a cyborg. (or...give him to ISISS to do it for him)

Time to break out "the big one": ACTUAL METAL WHISTLES!

TRAFFIC DUTY, AWAY! (if we can get through traffic ourselves I suppose)

And...never mind. (write down your destination first, boys!)

A Korean computer genius...nah, too cliche.

OH NO...1S AND 0S...IT'S TOO MUCH!

Dang, turn that beeper off before it gets infected too!

I'm not sure how Mondo has a monster with a virus; maybe they're all just immune and we just never experienced it before.

I'd say it's a typical Angel Grove quake...but since when did a Cog emergence do that?

Come on, I have the high ground.

HUMAN...ER, MACHINE CHAIN!

OK, we're not doing anything yet so let's just use stock footage to think we have.

Hey, I've been into computers since France had that Minitel service. (I wanted them in Scotland but they just had Prestel; side note: the Japanese system they used in Fiveman was not Minitel but a Japanese variant called "Captain")

Any of them? Just infect one and they're all doomed. Simple as that.

HEY, YOU RANGERS AREN'T COMPUTER EXPERTS! SO YOU CAN'T SOLVE IT (unless you're with INET or something)

Adam, don't try to boast with the "one hand" bit. That's just going to get you screwed.

Well need the other fist too. It really is that tough.

Let's just rip through time-space, that's more impressive, beep.

YOU GUYS ARE SO BEHIND THE TIMES: 28.8 IS THE FUTURE!

Oh great, Borg adaptation technology. Now, I say Mean Screen's a threat.

It's not a virus! He adapted! He can do that!

Guess that board room's going to need to be remodeled.

Yeah, he can adapt. Why not a fake out: pretend one weapon, then use another!

I'm not sure how this virus got in here. And I usually am so sanitary, A-YI-YI-YI-YI!

Sure the alarm's not infected too? That could lead to a ton of false alarms.

Well, there goes the Zeo Zords. Too bad we can't just call on Ninjor and get the Shogunzords back or something. (why won't he return our calls!?)

And this is why tech teams are so weak. Really, just stick with bizarre magic like the first three seasons!

He wasn't deleting, he was infecting; GET IT RIGHT!

You can't run...so I'll go in the other direction.

Dang Westworld vision!

Hey, let's see what happens if I use this GIF...

HOW COULD VIRTUAL INFILTRATION CAUSE SO MUCH CHAOS ON THE OUTSIDE! (falls)

Good idea, but I still say do a fake-out because Mean Screen's about to adapt and protect itself.

Told you so.

Tommy: Zordon: if we ever do a true tech team, we better make it something that isn't so obvious...like space; I mean if the robots can come from space then why not us?

THE DEFENDER WHEEL!? THAT'S RUN ON COMPUTERS TOO, ZORDON!

No stock footage of the Phoenix delivering it? Come on, that's just cheap just having it magically appear.

Ole! (er, you can do it)

Eh, I don't think it died because the Defender Wheel was immune, I think it died because it's just a giant wheel.

Didn't expect a back-up. Maybe if they just had it appear first.

Scottish pose, and...AWAY!

If he's winning, then just THROW THE DEFENDER WHEEL AT IT AGAIN!

I'VE JUST GOTTEN A PENTIUM INSTALLED! NOW I'M WAY FASTER!

So yeah, no Megazord. Now what?

MY ANGRY FIST IS SO GOING TO GET YOU, MEAN SCREEN!

Hi, I'm a Power Ranger. You've been deputized to help us.

He reverse engineered a Machine Empire virus? Dang, that is good.

Look, we have this giant head and robot...er, our bosses want this to fix our weapons.

Raymond: Just met Power Rangers; fur real. Not fake news. (under 140 characters, nice)

Look it's not from Billy but he's not here so...

Their status are...their shapes. And they're moving at the same rate?

That is one high-pitched "YES!"

Not manly but Adam never was with his dialogue.

Guess I need to get a few more coughs in...

So the source is...the monitor? Not sure computer tech was that advanced in 1996 but...eh, they need a weakness.

Reverse the charges? That's not an internet pun. You're still using Ma Bell, aren't you Tommy?

RAM-A-LAM-A-DING-DONG!

Time for wreckless psychic pyramid flight mode!

MY FACE! I CAN'T BE SEEN WITHOUT IT!

Shutdown, kanryou!

I'M SO ANGRY THAT MY EARS ARE BLEEDING SPARKS!

We're never going to rely on a bot obsessed with Prestel.

It was a number and a tree; my attention span sucks.

It's a car...bets that it's Stone?

Yes, this glove will finally be of use.

FREEZE!

And...it's Stone. I can read these gags like a book.

Airlifted? It wasn't that bad a traffic jam. Does Angel Grove have enough cars for a jam of such magnitude?

NO, NOT THE WHISTLES! WE FINALLY EARNED THOSE! (sobs hysterically)

I feel so naked without the gloves.

Adam, I have no clue who you turned to, but I'll make it like you're the one who saved the day.

Billy: Well I'm not leaving the show after all. Hey guys.

Really, Billy's lying and there were no Hydro Contaminators except the one. Cestro just wanted an excuse to spend time with him and set it all up with the spaceship. (so where did the one come from?)

We caught a bug...hope you get the computer joke, Billy, it wasn't an insect or anything.

So...how is Billy coming home?

Hey, we're robots! Let's screw with the smart one with our tech next time!

Credits: You'd expect the Machine Empire to have their own communications tech instead of relying on cells.

Thoughts: Making a tech episode in the mid 90s tend to lead to the typical cliches but I did sort of like the idea of "let's infect the Rangers with a virus and see what happens"; it sort of works alongside the original Ohranger idea but was adapted somewhat. It was weird that somehow a new computer character, Raymond, would figure it out, but he's sort of important...well as a red herring for a later episode (and for something even stupider...but we'll get there) My wonders: I thought Bulk and Skull would have bought those whistles and gloves themselves, not be given them by Stone.

Mr. Billy's Wild Ride: aka: Zordon, We Have a Problem

Safari outfits and compasses in school? What are you two up to this time?

I think he hated us getting lost last time, so now he's giving us a compass to improve our direction.

Compass and wits? Sure you don't need a map? Guys?

Into the deepest heart of the school to hunt the wild beast (hope Applebee isn't around to kill us)

Sure you three should be skipping school over this?

Yes, that has to be Billy. Though what exactly is he flying in?

That pod...looks way more sophisticated than the one Cestro used. Eh, he's a genius so he must have figured out a more advanced Aquatian ship.

Yes, we'll capture him. And then...what do machines do with a genius?

Looks like a giant bird head. Sure that's Aquatian tech?

Can you hear me now? Tommy, don't make weird faces.

He's not home yet. He's still...in space...it's closer than Aquitar but still a ways to go.

Seriously, I need to go back to school to see Bulk and Skull...wait, they graduated too? HOW!?!?!

So according to the compass and the map...we're lost aren't we?

Skull brought the food? I thought that was usually Bulk's department.

Moving to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches.

And why would you need that bowling ball? Unless you heard about the pilot...

An electric can opener. In the middle of nowhere. Without a generator.

Well that was quick.

They got photons? Hoo boy, I never knew they knew about Federation tech. (or did the Federation take it from them...or is Klank just wanting to be James Doohan?)

Billy: Those smoothies...so delicious they have to be illegal. (they are, Billy, they are)

That's not a photon. That's...a gear.

Great, he's becoming incomprehensible. That's not good.

Interference. Like...a missile.

Those homing gears really are tough stuff. Shocked the Machine Empire haven't just fired them at the Command Center.

Look if I was on the outside I'd be great at fixing it but...little help here?

And...there he goes. Well, that's going to get him off the show quickly.

A victory? The Rangers have done well without Billy, so they don't really need him that badly.

Look, the classes ran long and Bulk and Skull did distract us so we're sorry we're late.

Yeah, he's drifting, no idea about life support...he's a goner.

It kept flipping until it just magically stabilized. No slowdown or nothing...

How much oxygen did that thing have? Seriously, the Aquatians can think of water but not oxygen?

Anyone see that "Apollo 13" movie? Yeah, its that bad.

The Machine Skybase? Really? Was that a tractor or just good shooting by the empire?

Billy, I know you love tech and all but...I don't think you want to be in Mondo's vicinity.

So yeah, boned five ways to Sunday...or am I?

Oh yeah, we're the ones with the tractor beam! Why didn't we realize it sooner!? (um...what?)

So yeah, if we don't get this right, he's dead. No more Billy...then again why did he leave the show before? Eh, no worries, that fruit can come back anytime.

How the heck can they claim to run a spaceship when I have a flying empire!?

Smart move. If they screw the tractor beam, then Billy's theirs.

Billy: I did learn how to hold my breath from the Aquatians but not for this reason.

TOMMY'S GIVING THE COMMANDS!? ISN'T THAT ZORDON'S JOB!? IT'S HIS COMMAND CENTER!

Nice shot. But...then again, he does look like he's going towards Earth now...I hope.

So hitting a tractor satellite can do that? Geez, Zordon's tech's gotten cheaper the more high tech it appears.

And the low tech wobble of a spaceship leaving the planet's grip. Nice job, Saban.

Um Zordon, I asked a question. Why aren't you answering?

Well your friend is screwed. Back to panicking.

Oh, the Sun...maybe he'll meet Phoneix there.

So...Celsius or Farenheit? That is an important question.

Guys, why are we doing the sun thing again? Guys?

Yeah, that tractor beam...we use a weird power source. It's gone now so...again, Billy's screwed.

Look, I'm losing oxygen and I'm going to burn up soon...so make it quick.

That Angel Grove University has a lot of secret crap there. Sure they're not suspicious themselves?

Well we have our stock footage excuse for the episode. I know you wanted a tense space rescue but...we have a standard to keep.

That is one big warehouse. Sure they'll miss a few fuel cells?

So now it's just the "warehouse district". Least they realized calling it "abandoned" isn't good for civic morale.

Orbus knows the tractor beam uses that fuel cell?

Look if you want to be Scotty, then here's your chance. If you screw up, YOU'RE BECOMING A SCOTTISH RED-SHIRT!

WAREHOUSE RAID, AWAY!

I'm so hearing "Nijiiro Crystal Sky" with this fight.

Hey I know Mondo didn't want me used but...here I am.

I'll prove Mechanizer's a good monster! With bribery!

Mechanizer: HAKAI, HAKAI, HAKAI!!!!!!

I really like how psycho this monster is.

That's a blaster? More like a little clone.

If anyone is eating metal, it's Mechaizer, not Pollenator.

And thus most of the Ohranger explosion budget is used...on just this episode...

Well, Tommy's dead. Any ideas for a replacement? There's always Bil...oh, yeah.

Look Kat, I know you still haven't done it with Tommy, but don't just rush in to for a lover's suicide.

Kat I know you're obsessed but maybe he's just gone. There's always Rocky.

The Tommy, faking his death and proving he isn't! Perfect dramatic tension!

And meanwhile...Billy's still going towards the sun.

OK, I get one shot, but what about stopping any more gear bullets?

So as if we had hope, we're boned again.

Tommy: TIME FOR THE TOMMY TO BE A HERO! I AM SO ON FIRE TODAY!

At least Mondo knows they have to screw them one last time.

And this is why you don't send Tommy, folks.

Attack the satellite! No satellite, no tractor beam, dead Billy!

Tommy: NEBA...GIBA!!!!

Oh boy, steam. I am so boned.

Shaky prop, shaky prop.

How quickly did Tommy get back up there? There was quite some distance where they shot him down.

Great, what the heck are these doohickeys? Zordon? Alpha? Adam? Bil...oh yeah.

Yes, a lever! It requires muscle and I have that!

Tommy: NEBA.....GI...BA!!!!!

That is one obvious green diode.

Fire...and...NICE CATCH!

Just don't keep it on long enough for Billy to destroy the dish.

Ground control, to major Tom, you're circuit's dead, there's something wrong. Can you hear me major Tom? (no offence, Tommy, just music lyrics)

Ten seconds window. If nothing, then...well, I'm not paying for his funeral.

Billy: This is my home. I'm coming home.

Earth below us
Drifting falling
Floating weightless
Coming coming home

Mondo: I was hoping for the Ashes to Ashes ending myself, but these things happen.

I guess they have similar fuel problems with the Machine Empire as the Command Center.

Another idea: if they steal a fuel cell, have Mechanizer do it too...when he's not blowing things up.

So...where did Billy land? Are you sure he landed that close to Angel Grove with power down and all that?

Tommy: It's great to have a friend around again. (that reminds me: I need to contact Kim. It's been forever since her last letter...)

I wasn't alone...that's the power of communication. (I really need to intro you to the internet sometimes...WHAT DO YOU MEAN RAYMOND ALREADY DID IT!?)

Well we found the Juice Bar...mission accomplished.

That's the problem with a broken compass...

See, we're not that incompetent...not completely, just mostly.

So...who hailed the cab and claimed they could pay for it?

Look, we figured there wasn't going to be a problem without that cab monster around so...

Hey cabbie: Stone's paying for it. Ask him.

Credits: Alpha won an internet award? Sure AngieYaz didn't stuff the ballot box?

Thoughts: OK, I'm really impressed with this episode, more than I should be. The episode basically was just "Apollo 13" with bizarre miniatures and most of the episode occurring around the Command Center, but it really worked, reminding me a little bit of something you'd expect from submarine battles or Star Trek. I really liked how neither the Rangers or the Machines gave an inch regarding whether Billy would live or die, and that it really took until the last second before his fate was finally secured. They even snuck in an early Ohranger episode's footage for a sub-plot about the fuel cells to sort of keep things moving and to at least keep using what they have and not be completely independant footage. I do think they overpushed Tommy being the hero a few times, though; and the Bulk and Skull subplot, while a nice continuation of what happened last time, does feel rather random and had a predictable ending.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 06:49 PM   #2352
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
Making Alpha a Machine Empire mole would be epic...or the beginnings of an AngieYaz fanfiction.
(laughs like the Wicked Witch of the West and rubs hands together greedily)

Quote:
Considering the weird door the Rangers had to use, I should have figured Pee Wee Herman was behind all this. (also, ever heard of "You Bet Your Life"?)
Maybe. Conky may know Alpha 5 through these secret meetings.
Old September 23rd, 2017, 09:25 PM   #2353
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Quote:
Probably better written than "Agony in Pink". (or whatever Fred's version was)

Quote:
And...he's playing with the GMOs. I'm assuming Monsanto sponsored this episode.
Tommy: Hmm, what if I got into these GMO business, but mixed in some animals and household appliances as well?

Quote:
Rocky: I'm going to call it after a girl I really like...I think I shall dub thee "Pachinko II". (the "ko" is a female name in Japanese so it works!)
Keep it up, Rocky. Keep it up.

Quote:
Skull, don't. Pachinko II is sentient. Then you'll go into dentistry and Rocky will murder you and chop you to pieces. It's not worth it.
And without Skull around, who will solve the murder mystery?

Quote:
I'd say Rocky had "Monster Making for Dummies" but with that not know where it is (Tommy has it), Rocky probably has created the deadliest thing a Power Ranger can do!
"For now"

Quote:
WHAT PART OF POLICEWORK INVOLVES TENDING TO FLOWERS!?
Probably the type that involves them screwing up and having to choose between that or a desk job.

Quote:
Aww...they're his friends...at least Rocky and Adam have no evil ambition. (well Rocky, Adam does VA some villains later on)
And he does those so well.

Quote:
A cow.
Wonder if it's related to the one from last week's Ninja Steel.

Or if it became a steak in a later episode.

Quote:
Yes, this is what you think it is. An entire segment on...cow poop. Literally...cow poop. (so...the whole "anti-methane = global warming" people too?)
Apparently they all left town when Trini went off to the peace conference.

Quote:
Of course it's on the top shelf...hanging there precariously...Because if this show needs anything, it's a poop joke.
Boy, there are just some things Saban would resort to, whether it's the 1990's or the 2010's.

Quote:
Stone: Listen, I need to hit the showers...can I let some other officers deal with the break-in?
Duty first, Stone. Protect and serve, then shower and decontaminate.

Quote:
Feel sorry for the random other plant; that's probably's Skull's.
It's a plant-eat-plant world.

Quote:
So to beat it...starve it. Think we can get Hydro Contaminator back from Aquitar to ruin the water supply for one method?
If he's still around, he's probably participating in the military conflict on Aquitar... so nah.

Quote:
Cacti together! Vegetation forever!
Saban: Hey, we need a formula for some one-liners...

Quote:
Yes, our hope is...the library. (seriously, couldn't Alpha tell you two what you made Pollinator out of first?)
Library? We're doooooomed!

Quote:
Ketchup: plants consider it cannibalism.
So what's compost and mulch?

Quote:
So Rocky's becoming a vegetable...now he'll be useful.
Oxygen for everyone!

Quote:
Eh, her branches are nowhere as nice as Kim's. She was a gymnast, she had tone.
Whoa there, Rocky. You're a different species, now.

Quote:
Don't fire those. Now how are you going to pollinate yourself?
Kinky.

Quote:
What!? You suffocate it with oxygen!?!?!? That's just...um...
Fun fact: plants do actually respirate, needing both oxygen and carbon dioxide.

Quote:
I suck as a mad scientist, so maybe I'll think about becoming a chef.
Maybe inspired to become a vegan chef. Kill all the plants!

Quote:
Hey, piano music and not generic Wasserman synth. That's different.
Whoa! Style!

Quote:
Seriously, a guy with a cape in Angel Grove. This school has no secrets; how did he do it!?
It's got to be someone specializing in mysteries. Know anyone like that?

Quote:
Hey, you two are back. (then again this is their final episode as students of Angel Grove High...my guess is after what they did to Billy they decided they had to prune the rolls a bit more)
To think, they can graduate after all the trouble they caused, all the classes they skipped out on for their jobs. It's an achievement in of itself.

Quote:
Skull: What the heck am I doing here? This isn't that hall with the giant "Detention" on it!
He's on the other side of the law now. He's got to get used to it.

Quote:
And now the Cogs are acting more like the Putties. Seriously, that was a quick decay.
It's like they can be molded into whatever generic enemies are called for.

Quote:
Admission: I don't think they ever fought in the high school halls before. Unique battle idea, I like it.
Yeah, nothing but student brawls in the halls that led to detention all around. Creative use of sets, and hopefully no one has any security footage.

Quote:
Great it's out of tune. Dang budget cuts; new teachers but the facility's falling apart.
It's not like Angel Grove has invested much in their education system. Teaches giving essays on punctuation marks, teaches switching places with students and joining the football team, newly hired teaches who don't know what they're in for, malfunctioning equipment. Sooner or later, they're just going to merge the high school with the elementary school and hope no one notices.

Quote:
OK, good usage of this MotW. In Ohranger, the music motif had no purpose but here...
Yep! Write around the footage, don't just force plots that make no sense in context.

Quote:
Look I can tell you who that pianist is but there are some spoilers even I'm not privy to spoil.
Bulk: Spoilers, schmoilers. Just tell me!

Quote:
I do wonder where Machina's been. What do lady robots do when not around their men?
Oh, yeah, um, that's... private.

Quote:
Shocked they didn't pull the Cogs after Fortissimoto grew. Smart strategy, almost Egos-like.
Yep, and at least it would give a reason for the team to be split up. Also part of Go-Busters' brilliance, something Power Rangers will never see.

Quote:
Adam: So if I take the hood off, he'll probably attack me...I hate stories like this.
Well Adam, thankfully you never needed to voice anyone in Scooby Doo, right?

Quote:
DUN-DUN-DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!!!! (so yeah...Skull isn't just into rock. Who'd thunk)
And that's a brilliant way to develop his character. Show he has potential, if he taps into it. Show he can grow. Show why he'd end up a millionaire eventually while Bulk lives in a garage.

Quote:
Bulk, shut it. Your friend's awesome.
And that's a great way to develop his character. Have Bulk accept his friend for who he is, instead of insulting the nerds.

Quote:
I joked about this in "Target Rangers" but seriously: mid-90s internet is so silly to see as a big deal.
It was primitive in Fiveman, it's primitive here.

Quote:
This is a website. And here's where you can find a forum with cranks who complain about Power Rangers.
Tommy: I'm the greatest! Why would anyone complain about me?

Quote:
Hey, they're developing this thing called "Twitter". I heard that billionaire Trump is eagerly anticiapting it for some reason.
Uh-oh...

Quote:
Hoo boy, I think hackers are afoot.
Equifax: Haha, let's tell no one and short sell our stock! And make everyone else pay for our errors!

Quote:
"If you don't give us your passwords, we'll replace all your files with...a story written by some guy named Fred about the Pink Ranger...the first Pink Ranger..."

Quote:
See, Tanya, if it's cute then it's evil!
"Hey, Alpha..."

Quote:
At least they have their own monster again. Turning things into monsters ala Rita and Zedd does seem to suggest they don't have their own minions outside the Cogs.
They've got an empire's worth of an arsenal. Why they'd need to assimilate objects ineffectively is anyone's guess.

Quote:
I get hacking into Angel Grove's system, but the Power Rangers? Um, are you sure you can reach Zordon's network through Angel Grove's grid? And didn't Billy upgrade the firewalls before he left?
Billy's been distracted lately, and no one's figured out his system. But if Zordon's that vulnerable, then someone really should look into it.

Quote:
HEY, WHO WANTS FREE MONEY!?!?
Just respond to this Nigerian prince! He's got an investment in the Brooklyn Bridge but his funds are tied up, and he needs you to send money orders for certain medications. You're guaranteed a 2000% return on investment if you refer five people to the program!

Quote:
Code Blue...that means...traffic signal duty I suppose. Not that bad a duty but it is what they're made for.
For the Blue Centurion, it's the greatest of honors.

Quote:
A Korean computer genius...nah, too cliche.
But to think, having Adam partly fill Billy's roles just after he disappeared. It's as if the show lost purpose for him.

Quote:
HEY, YOU RANGERS AREN'T COMPUTER EXPERTS! SO YOU CAN'T SOLVE IT (unless you're with INET or something)
Patience open ahead

Quote:
Oh great, Borg adaptation technology. Now, I say Mean Screen's a threat.
Resistance is futile.

Quote:
Well, there goes the Zeo Zords. Too bad we can't just call on Ninjor and get the Shogunzords back or something. (why won't he return our calls!?)
It's like something went wrong with the timeline. Or some personal drama, who knows?

Quote:
THE DEFENDER WHEEL!? THAT'S RUN ON COMPUTERS TOO, ZORDON!
Now I'm envisioning them installing a unicycle control to manually run it.

Quote:
I'VE JUST GOTTEN A PENTIUM INSTALLED! NOW I'M WAY FASTER!
Now for those floppy disks and you'll be processing on the megahertz scale!

Quote:
Hi, I'm a Power Ranger. You've been deputized to help us.
Well, that's one way to get a job. Now just how did the Power Rangers find him? It's as if they knew about him beforehand... but the only one hanging out around there was Adam.

Quote:
Raymond: Just met Power Rangers; fur real. Not fake news. (under 140 characters, nice)
Well, at least it's not the "Liveman roolz, RangerBoard droolz" part of Twitter.

Quote:
So the source is...the monitor? Not sure computer tech was that advanced in 1996 but...eh, they need a weakness.
Eh, it's just the most identifiable part of it.

Quote:
Shutdown, kanryou!
Power Rangers is missing out...

Quote:
NO, NOT THE WHISTLES! WE FINALLY EARNED THOSE! (sobs hysterically)
Suck up to the boss: whoops.

Quote:
That pod...looks way more sophisticated than the one Cestro used. Eh, he's a genius so he must have figured out a more advanced Aquatian ship.
Who knows, there was a planetary crisis that may have partly resolved. Cestro could've just been stuck with an emergency escape pod.

Quote:
Seriously, I need to go back to school to see Bulk and Skull...wait, they graduated too? HOW!?!?!
It's a mystery even Stone can't solve.

Quote:
They got photons? Hoo boy, I never knew they knew about Federation tech. (or did the Federation take it from them...or is Klank just wanting to be James Doohan?)
Aye.

Quote:
Great, he's becoming incomprehensible. That's not good.
You'd think they'd be used to that by now.

Quote:
How much oxygen did that thing have? Seriously, the Aquatians can think of water but not oxygen?
It's just dissolved in their water where they can absorb it through their gills... where are their gills?

Quote:
So yeah, if we don't get this right, he's dead. No more Billy...then again why did he leave the show before? Eh, no worries, that fruit can come back anytime.
Oh dear...

Quote:
Oh, the Sun...maybe he'll meet Phoneix there.
He might not be able to hold his breath that long.

Quote:
So now it's just the "warehouse district". Least they realized calling it "abandoned" isn't good for civic morale.
Which means... they're not technically looting, they're commandeering!

Quote:
Mechanizer: HAKAI, HAKAI, HAKAI!!!!!!
Billy particles detected?

Quote:
And thus most of the Ohranger explosion budget is used...on just this episode...
Fortunately for Saban, he's just paying for the footage.

Quote:
Tommy: TIME FOR THE TOMMY TO BE A HERO! I AM SO ON FIRE TODAY!
Careful, Billy's the one who's going to be on fire if those radiation shields don't hold.

Quote:
Tommy: NEBA...GIBA!!!!
Rick?

Quote:
Tommy: NEBA.....GI...BA!!!!!
Astley!

Quote:
So...where did Billy land? Are you sure he landed that close to Angel Grove with power down and all that?
If he didn't land in water, he'd be in for an extremely rough impact.

Quote:
I wasn't alone...that's the power of communication. (I really need to intro you to the internet sometimes...WHAT DO YOU MEAN RAYMOND ALREADY DID IT!?)
Oh, Billy is already becoming obsolete.

Quote:
So...who hailed the cab and claimed they could pay for it?
Can't freeload off of Kim's cab rides anymore, can't freeload off of Kim's plane rides anymore...
Old September 23rd, 2017, 11:57 PM   #2354
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
For a big guy, Puppetman's quite capable with martial arts.
Alpha vs. Puppetman and the Cogs then.

Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM   #2355
Ataruman
Heat/Trigger

Quote:
Tommy: Hmm, what if I got into these GMO business, but mixed in some animals and household appliances as well?
Oh great, Anton Mercer sponsored this greenhouse too?

Quote:
And without Skull around, who will solve the murder mystery?
Nah, it'll just keep eating cast members until Rocky wins an epic battle, gets the girl of his dream, and a tiny podling appears in his garden in an "or is it!?" ending.

Quote:
Wonder if it's related to the one from last week's Ninja Steel.

Or if it became a steak in a later episode.
I think it was plastic so...plastic steaks?

Quote:
To think, they can graduate after all the trouble they caused, all the classes they skipped out on for their jobs. It's an achievement in of itself.
I'd say they'd drop out but the Junior Police would catch on...then again maybe an A+ in music is enough to finally get that last credit needed.

Quote:
Yep, and at least it would give a reason for the team to be split up. Also part of Go-Busters' brilliance, something Power Rangers will never see.
I swear Dekaranger sort of did it too. But yeah, usually PR isn't smart enough to do something akin to an Egos or Vaglass.

Quote:
It was primitive in Fiveman, it's primitive here.
As I mentioned, "Captain" is basically the Japanese Minitel and that's what Fiveman used. That was years before the regular WWW became a thing.

Quote:
For the Blue Centurion, it's the greatest of honors.
Should have realized that joke; heck he even has a whistle!

Quote:
Oh dear...
Yeah, that joke sort of hints at what really happened...I just wonder if it was that bad for David even then. Heck, if he didn't return, "Graduation Blues" would have been a decent departure. But instead...

Yep, get the cardboard cutout ready.

Quote:
Oh, Billy is already becoming obsolete.
That's what happens: using a 1993 model in 1996 is really a difficult proposition.

-----

Kamen Rider Wizard: Ep. 24: The Mage's Grandmother & Ep. 25: The Choice of Life

Seriously, Nitoh, I've seen lion-themed Pretty Cure acting more manly than you as a magical girl!

Nitoh has made some decisions with his life that basically constantly put it in danger, the least of which being accepted as the vessel for a constantly hungry Chimera Phantom that could kill him if he didn't feed it. Unfortunately there are those who do care about Nitoh out there that probably doesn't like the idea of how risky he is with his life, such as his grandmother from Fukui. Nitoh sees his granny as a burden: he knows she always gets in the way with all the dangerous stuff he wants to do and thus ends up becoming a problem if she knew that he was a Mage and fighting against Phantoms. Obviously the Phantom side sees that as a situation to manipulate to drive her to despair, since of course granny turns out to be the latest Gate. Unfortunately admist all this, Sora isn't really as easy to control even compared to the ball of rage that was Yuugo/Phoenix: he decides to help out Misa/Medusa, but does so in ways that more or less screw with everyone around him...as a Gremlin tends to do. When grandma is captured after discovering Nitoh as Beast and Shunpei comes with, he screws with everyone so that Haruto ends up fighting Medusa using a failsafe that he tried to use, all while Shunpei ends up as a bargaining chip for the Phantoms to get her for their side. And of course there's also the catch that granny wants to be a Phantom, thinking that somehow if it helps feed Nitoh, then she'll be of use to him...but then again it's Nitoh's grandmother and he wouldn't want to lose family just because of this burden.

This one could have been cliche as family visit episodes tend to be, but it sort of turned out heartfelt and interesting due to the situation. Obviously Nitoh's grandmother has lived a long life and isn't necessarily someone who probably can live for much longer, but Nitoh obviously doesn't want to lose her and feels the burden of how she kept trying to hold him back in the past for the dangerous choices he made...when in reality, she was looking out for his welfare and he really didn't pay any attention to them because he was blinded into only seeing her as a burden. One of my problems early on is that sort of overpush Shunpei as a "grandma's boy" to show him as more valuable to her than her own grandson, but this more or less is to set up the situation where he becomes collatoral for the sake of her. I did like Sora's little trick of making Haruto try to find Shunpei and the Phantom of the arc (Weretiger) but instead getting into combat with Medusa, but he ends up with more trickery on his end due to discovering he can use the Beast rings, using Dolphin at one point and Falcon near the end in a fake-out I knew he would be behind but felt confusing until it was explained. And for the most part, it sort of shows the danger of getting your family involved in these sorts of circumstances; obviously Haruto's is gone but Nitoh now sort of knows that he really can protect those he cares about...and if family isn't burdensome enough, next time we may get some more on that regarding...Medusa?

-----

Avatar: The Legend of Korra: Book 2:
Ep. 12: Harmonic Convergence, Ep. 13. Darkness Rises & Ep. 14 (Final): Light in the Dark

So you save Jenorah, you save your siblings...but not Zhao!? Seriously, Iroh would love to have company he can at least relate to on some level!

Harmonic Convergence: the event that occurs every 10,000 years where the two guardian spirits: Raava of the Light and Vaatu of the Dark, must fight to determine the fate of all worlds. Last time, Raava won with the help of Wan, but at the cost of basically starting the Avatar Cycle. Of course with 12, it's upon the world again as pretty much set up all arc, only this time with Unalaq welcoming it...with somehow this new idea: he'll fuse with Vaatu, and thus become a new "Dark Avatar" that would create a new cycle for rule over the next 10,000 years. Obviously Korra's group must stop it but have other concerns on their mind, such as saving Tenzin's daughter Jenorah who ended up being lost trying to help Korra earlier, all with basically the Northern Water Tribes ruling over the South with the fall of Tonraq. I do like that amazingly their idea is to just storm the Southern Portal with a plan Bumi came up with of all people; but it nearly falls apart until...well, Bumi again. (for a guy with no Bending, he does seem like one of those soldiers who keeps finding happenstance helping him even if he can't do it himself...well that and Korra's animal friends) Once in the Spirit World, it then all basically becomes a game: get Unalaq out, then keep him out long enough for Korra to close the portal before Vaatu breaks out of the Tree of Time, all while Tenzin's group searches for Jenorah. They do nearly succeed...but since there are still a few episodes left, the convergence happens and it all more or less falls apart and fails with Vaatu breaking free for his 10,000 year showdown. And with Korra possessing Raava, it's obvious who he has to contend with first.

13 more or less builds to the climax of the arc beginning with an altered situation: Mako and Bolin keep Unalaq out of the Spirit World, Korra reseals Vaatu in the Tree of Time and...yeah, Tenzin's group finds Jenorah. Tenzin's situation remains as weird as ever considering how the Spirits never seem to let up in their stupidity; but I do like they ultimately come up with a neat idea: get captured by one and sent into the "spiritual prison" that allows for them to maybe find Jenorah the easy way (oh and we get some funny faces from Kya during all this). Amazingly in the midst of this prison where Bumi and Kya go mad from an evil fog, Tenzin sort of has to come to a realization: even if he's Aang's son, he's still his own man and he has to make his own decision and live life in a more spiritual balance than he's been until now. He may be his father's pride in being the first Airbender since the massacre, but he's constantly seen as living in that shadow because he's an Airbender, which is something he has to get out of if he wants to move on with his life. By finding that peace, Tenzin finally breaks the fog and saves his family to get out and maybe help his daughter out. On the other hand, Korra's group sort of does fine until Unalaq's twins continue their loyalty towards their dad allowing him to fuse with Vaatu and become that "Dark Avatar" before she could seal it. The one thing I do admit I like about this battle is that since Vaatu doesn't have the memory of the four elements like Raava, all it can use is it's own spiritual power and "super Waterbending" through Unalaq. On the other hand, more or less it's a thwomping, leading to probably the beginning of one of the most confusing and controversial parts of this season and the series in general: after somehow pulling Raava out of Korra, Vaatu destroys all the previous lives within it's memory, basically using it to apparantly "kill" it before...um, absorbing it to become a giant to rampage and start it's age of darkness. I sort of get why they probably wanted to do this, but I'll get to it later...and it's still rather dumb.

And thus we reach the final episode of the arc, and the end of the battle with Unalaq; and hoo boy is it crazy, and not in a good way; despite it's intention. It starts with Unalaq/Vaatu deciding to rampage through Republic City, which is probably the obvious target but sort of makes me wonder why when it really has nothing to do with the Avatar legacy, only Aang's...outside just the idea of "hey, it'a a kaijuu in a city, why not". Korra feels useless back in the Spirit World without Raava or the others protecting her; but this is sort of where we get what seems to be what is the intented lesson of the arc...but doesn't work. Tenzin basically tries to tell Korra "you're being too bound by the past, you should just listen to yourself and do what you see is right". And he does it while basically taking her into the Tree of Time to meditate for her spiritual enlightenment all while scenes of what she's done so far are playing...and mentions of Wan's own legacy. I sort of get the idea of what the story is trying to say: more or less it's trying to tell the audience "let this show stand on it's own merit and not on what came before it". And it basically does so in so many ways: destroying all the past lives including Aang, plus the destruction of the Aang statue in Republic City as if to say "no more Aang comparison's; this is Korra's tale now"! (and possibly to get back at Korra overusing the Avatar state earlier in the arc). Firstly...Korra herself was never bound by her past lives: the only times she were involved finding out important stuff key to the plot, such as the incident that revealed who Amon was or the Energybending to restore Beifong's bending at the end of Book 1. She isn't always getting Aang's advice just like Aang had to get the advice from Roku. Second: considering this show is a legacy, of course people will compare it to "The Last Airbender"; that show was really good while this one has had interesting elements but not quite as good. If people complain, it's for a legit reason and not just because they want Aang back. Third: you don't say this while trying to compare Korra to Wan and allow for her spiritual training. Wan's situation was way different than Korra's and he had to adapt to make it useful to himself. His connection to the spirits was only through Raava; he didn't have a lot of the knowledge every other Avatar gained after him until, obviously, Korra. Further, everything Wan had to gain he earned on his own, while Korra, as heroic as she's been, has been given so much. And likewise, if you want to get across "Korra, you have to build your own legacy", don't compare her to Wan considering that Wan is no longer there; thanks to Unalaq and Vaatu, none of the former Avatars exist anymore! Heck, it would have been cool if he or someone else tried to give this lesson across; heck even Aang himself had to make his own decisions like the choice of using Energybending to end the war with Ozai, all while all his other past lives kept telling him "you have to fight; there's no other choice!" I get it: the whole point of the arc is about making your own difficult decisions, but it's hard to say that any difficult decisions have been reached if Korra never truly had them with any of the former Avatars and having them around is a good thing and not just to give a boost alongside Raava's own bending knowledge!

Anyway, with that "lesson" dealt with, Korra somehow magically masters the spirtual side (and without the Guru) and we get a big old Ultra fight in the middle of Republic City bay. I get it's supposed to be an homage, but it's just tough to say I was into it since they were glowy and whatnot, particularly since at least Ultras feel tangible when they fight each other; heck even kaijuu like in a Godzilla movie! And when things turn rough, Jenorah revives and basically uses her power to reveal...oh yeah, Raava's not dead, just inside Unalaq/Vaatu, leading to spirit Korra to pull it out and to "bend" away both of them. It's no loss for the end of Unalaq, but considering the whole "you can't have light without darkness", I don't see why they couldn't just find some other way to at least imprison Vaatu since 10,000 years from now, it's just going to happen again. And with that over and done with, we get wrap up and things get rather messy again. Firstly, despite Raava living and Korra no longer being "the last Avatar" anymore, the bond with all her other lives is now lost: it's just Korra and Raava together. As mentioned above: this is a stupid decision: if you're going to fake out Raava's death and then reveal it's alive, then everything inside Raava should be too, including all the past memories and lives. If it's going to keep the memory of the four elements it gained via Wan (and maybe the Avatar after that because I don't see how it had any memory of Firebending if Wan is a natural Firebender), then it should also have the experiences and memories of everyone else it reincarnated to prior to Korra. Maybe if there was some sort of catch like if some incident allowed for some past memory to be "reconnected" to Raava and thus Korra, it could have been neat...but no, it's all "let's disconnect all the crap that made "The Last Airbender" good and make it Korra's story and only Korra's story." Second, in better news: Korra and Mako finally break up: that I think is probably a good thing in that the romantic crap was dragging the show down in many ways. And finally in a similarly controversial idea, Korra decides "you know what, I'm not like Wan and I'm keeping the Spirit Portals open forever." The reason why Wan closed the Spirit Portals in the past was due to humanity not being able to know how to handle the spirits; that's why they lived on Lion Turtles until he came along! I get they want to say "well now they may be able to cope", but with how bizarre and stupid many of the spirits tend to be, I'm not sure we really need this as yet another aspect. They really want to change everything that made the show and the franchise interesting...and speaking of "Change", somehow the energies on the planet have lead to possible changes throughout it, which means some new weird elements may emerge in the near future...what they are, let's hope they don't lead to any more talking mushrooms with bad advice.
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #2356
timegold
Destroyer of Particles

Infamous Nitou is infamous.

Whereas heartfelt Nitou has lived in solitude for some time and didn't want to drag everyone into his problems, especially his grandmother who was twisted into thinking that sacrificing herself would've helped (though if she had a better understanding of the situation, that may very well have driven Nitou into despair). It's exactly what Sora would do; at least Haruto doesn't quite have the same weak points. And Gremlin, unlike Phoenix, has been causing lots of ruckus within the Phantom hierarchy.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #2357
PrimoMystechRanger
Another Iron in da Spider

Quote:
Kamen Rider Wizard: Ep. 24: The Mage's Grandmother & Ep. 25: The Choice of Life

Seriously, Nitoh, I've seen lion-themed Pretty Cure acting more manly than you as a magical girl!
But the point was to be as girly as possible...

Quote:
Sora isn't really as easy to control even compared to the ball of rage that was Yuugo/Phoenix
Because destroyers can be controlled as long as you give them something good to destroy.

Disruptors are only happy when they disrupt what they can witness, which is everyone they know.

Quote:
And of course there's also the catch that granny wants to be a Phantom, thinking that somehow if it helps feed Nitoh, then she'll be of use to him...
Bravest damn thing I've ever heard.

The lengths we go to for family.

Quote:
Avatar: The Legend of Korra: Book 2:
Ep. 12: Harmonic Convergence, Ep. 13. Darkness Rises & Ep. 14 (Final): Light in the Dark

The one thing I do admit I like about this battle is that since Vaatu doesn't have the memory of the four elements like Raava, all it can use is it's own spiritual power and "super Waterbending" through Unalaq.
And that was what I didn't like.

What's the point of being the Avatar if you can't use all of the elements?

Quote:
Korra decides "you know what, I'm not like Wan and I'm keeping the Spirit Portals open forever." The reason why Wan closed the Spirit Portals in the past was due to humanity not being able to know how to handle the spirits; that's why they lived on Lion Turtles until he came along! I get they want to say "well now they may be able to cope", but with how bizarre and stupid many of the spirits tend to be, I'm not sure we really need this as yet another aspect.
Actually, they're generally misunderstood.

Only Wan Shi Tong was a true asshole.
PrimoMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #2358
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
Alpha won an internet award? Sure AngieYaz didn't stuff the ballot box?

Alpha has way more fans other than me, and even Richard likes him.
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #2359
GreenMystechRanger
We've been smeckledorfed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngieYaz View Post
and even Richard likes him.
...He voiced him. He might be kind of biased.
GreenMystechRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:26 AM   #2360
AngieYaz
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMystechRanger View Post
...He voiced him. He might be kind of biased.
Ah, alright.