Old September 19th, 2017, 05:47 PM   #61
TyrannoRanger
Power Ranger

I've got my ticket and added the new comic to my pull list. I'm very excited
TyrannoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #62
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

I saw it. Whilst it didn't fall short of my expectations, it didn't surpass them either. I guess the first movie had that element of surprise, and this movie has higher expectations going for it.

The second act drags a little, but overall it's a great time, with Merlin emerging as the breakout star.

I never thought I'd say this, but Elton John is fantastic in this movie. The first time we see him, he's a captured celeb and it's quite funny. Then later on in the villain's promo he's telling people to fuck off and it's better. By the finale he believes the Kingsmen are here to rescue him specifically, and "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" plays as Harry & Eggsy fight off goons and Elton tries to mount his escape.

The mincemeat machine was a great use of Chekov's Gun, I knew if it didn't show up at the end, then it'd just be a weird scene where a drug dealer makes another person into a hamburger for no reason.

Quite surprised they killed Roxy so early on and unceremoniously. On one hand, there really wasn't room for her in this movie, but damn, what a waste.

The Secret Villain fight was pretty damn awesome.
Spoony Spoonerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 07:39 AM   #63
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Yeah, just saw it. It's pretty decent. not a patch on the first one, but it was still packed with fun concepts and a few interesting twists

I did not expect the dog to be killed off.

Eggsy's friend discovers his secret, but dies immediately afterwards in the missile attack. Crass.

Lots of continuity call backs to the first one...right down to using the "shoot the dog" method of testing a Kingsman's character.

Harry's revival is explained well, and the method of preserving him is a plot point that comes back later.

So they went with a fictitious President, where as they went with Obama in the last one. I don't know how knee-deep they were into elections when this one was made, but the ending seems to be the last vestiges of post-Trumpmatic stress syndrome with the impeachment and the female taking power, even in a transitional role.

Merlin

The best scene was right off the bat with the cab battle. Loved that Eggsy had to drive the battle-ravaged cab into the river with no windshield.

Elton John was gold here...kind of wish he had played a special "Wednesday Night's Alright" variation during the whole battle at Poppy's diner,

I think there's wiggle room to bring Roxy back in a third one, she's seen quickly springing to action just as the missiles hit. She could have quickly made it to an emergency exit.

But yeah, I liked it.
Cameron Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #64
AdrenalineRush
Power Ranger

Saw the film on Friday. It was good but not as good as the first one.
AdrenalineRush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #65
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

So, a couple things occur to me.

First, Vinnie Jones has been cut from the film. Remember this?

He was clearly in the movie, potentially playing a villain's goon. It's surprising he was cut, as the movie could have used another henchman.

In comparing the two films, I'm realising both have different strengths and weaknesses:

The highlight of the first movie is obviously the Church Sequence at the end of the second act. After that, the third act is a little more dull by comparison. Eggsy plowing through goons is a little OTT and underwhelming, the implants come off as a Deus Ex Machina, the best bit is the fight with Gazelle, which doesn't last that long.

By comparison, the second movie has a pretty slow second act, with Glastonbury coming off as entirely unnecessary side plot to pad out the runtime. However, the third act, from the skii chase to villain's base, I was grinning from ear to fucking ear. It's just weighted so all the action is at the back end.
Old September 25th, 2017, 12:24 PM   #66
RitoRevolto
Bumbling henchposter

The more I think about the plot, the less sense it makes. But then again, you shouldn't think about the plot to this movie. You should just sit back and enjoy scenes like Elton John in a peacock suit telling goons "I WILL FUCK YOU UP!"
RitoRevolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #67
GoldAnyRanger
One Ranger, Many Forms

eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony Spoonerson View Post
So, a couple things occur to me.

First, Vinnie Jones has been cut from the film. Remember this?

https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/v1...ec122543ba94aa

He was clearly in the movie, potentially playing a villain's goon. It's surprising he was cut, as the movie could have used another henchman.
There's a novelization out, It may shed light on who he was supposed to be playing.
GoldAnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #68
Ankh Primo
R.I.P: Resides In Playboy

Quote:
Vinnie Jones has been cut from the film.
Boooooooooo

How can you cut a character wearing that outfit?
Ankh Primo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 02:12 PM   #69
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

A three-hour cut of this exists somewhere

http://collider.com/kingsman-2-alter...atthew-vaughn/
Old September 28th, 2017, 03:02 PM   #70
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

3 hours 40!

Man, with 120 minutes of cut footage, I can see how Vinne Jones, entire set-pieces and storylines can be lost.

And you just know the BluRay special features will be a collected 10 minutes of deleted scenes.
Old September 28th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #71
GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Quote:
3 hours 40!

Man, with 120 minutes of cut footage, I can see how Vinne Jones, entire set-pieces and storylines can be lost.

And you just know the BluRay special features will be a collected 10 minutes of deleted scenes.
Did you even read the article? Vaughn doesn't like deleted scenes.
GalaxyRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #72
Spoony Spoonerson
...like a WRECKING BALL!

Yeah, I did read the article, hence how I read the first cut was 3hr 40.

It just seems like a real waste to me when we're told there's an hour of footage cut, but they don't like to release it. We had that with Thor: TDW and Avengers: AOU, hours of footage cut, but really stingy on the extras. I wouldn't even mind if they double-dipped with a version with a load of extra footage.
Old September 28th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #73
GalaxyRed
Tenkuu Henshin

Quote:
Yeah, I did read the article, hence how I read the first cut was 3hr 40.

It just seems like a real waste to me when we're told there's an hour of footage cut, but they don't like to release it. We had that with Thor: TDW and Avengers: AOU, hours of footage cut, but really stingy on the extras. I wouldn't even mind if they double-dipped with a version with a load of extra footage.
Except Vaughn mentioned in the article that he wants to release it, and wouldn't mind making a new cut of the film with the scenes intact. But it's not up to him, it's up to how the film fares and if Fox will let him.
GalaxyRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 07:44 AM   #74
Cameron Samurai
DENY IT'S A PARTY!

Cambodia has banned the film due to the villains being stationed there

https://www.newsarama.com/36934-king...-cambodia.html